Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,530 members, 7,816,294 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? (13660 Views)

Is Blackberry Q5 Good Enough?or Should I Go For Another Andriod Phone / Why Is Blackberry Bigger Than I-phone, Andriod And Htc In Naija? / Where Is Blackberry Office In Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by chucky234(m): 5:28pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ronaldo200:

Precisely. And RIM has never been the number one selling phone company, please let's get that correct. For most of the 2000s it was Nokia, and I believe that now (I might be wrong) I is Samsung.
Another Kenya bushman,Nokia was number one for number of phones produced and never by quality and Blackberry was used only by the rich and celebrities who can afford it then. The early 2000s only musicians,govt officials,the rich and Holywood stars were the only one using BB phones in the US,back then you don't belong if you don't own a BB phone as they were very expensive to own or maintain.

Nokia were producing crappy phones in their thousands daily and anyone could afford Nokia phones but BB,never.

Few years back Celtel introduced Blackberry 8300 and 8800 into Nigeria market,how many people were able to afford? They were very expensive and cost about 30k for data subscriptions a month while the phones were above 70k. My question is which Nokia phone was sold for 70k in 2007 that you can compare to both BB phones mentioned above,the answer is capital NONE.
Nokia manufacturing WAP enabled phones with infared,I laugh your face.
Mumu-maga.

1 Like

Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by lekkie073(m): 5:37pm On Jul 01, 2012
chucky234: Another Kenya bushman,Nokia was number one for number of phones produced and never by quality and Blackberry was used only by the rich and celebrities who can afford it then. The early 2000s only musicians,govt officials,the rich and Holywood stars were the only one using BB phones in the US,back then you don't belong if you don't own a BB phone as they were very expensive to own or maintain.

Nokia were producing crappy phones in their thousands daily and anyone could afford Nokia phones but BB,never.

Few years back Celtel introduced Blackberry 8300 and 8800 into Nigeria market,how many people were able to afford? They were very expensive and cost about 30k for data subscriptions a month while the phones were above 70k. My question is which Nokia phone was sold for 70k in 2007 that you can compare to both BB phones mentioned above,the answer is capital NONE.
Mumu-maga.
Nokia n95 was sold 500dollars on d opening day of launch in usa......
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by tollu: 5:41pm On Jul 01, 2012
I believe the question is, who sees BlackBerry as prestigious in 2012?
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Godogwu: 5:48pm On Jul 01, 2012
Personally, I don't care what's going on with RIM and I'm not all that crazy about owning a BB, I use a Bold 9900 and I just love the phone. Frankly I dislike androids and I'm not so big on iPhones because I don't like full touch screen phones, I prefer the QWERTY keyboard cos I find it easier and faster to type on. Yea some people take BBs as a highly rated phones but that's because a new BB is not cheap and people who use the iPhone 4 or 4s would do the same cos these machines are quite expensive relative to their size. A new smartphone cost anywhere between 400-800 dollars, that's N65,000-N120,000. So whoever feels like carrying their noses up because of their BB, it's their business, I really don't see it as a big deal.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by andicod1st(m): 6:20pm On Jul 01, 2012
dnt my us jhor..wat advancd nations regard as mere 'chaffs' is wat we treasure here..smh
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 6:20pm On Jul 01, 2012
SimonAndal: Why d'ya guys hate BB so much? Whatever did they do to you? That I use a BB doesn't make me a fool or a technologically backward person. It makes me an economical person. Let's calculate:
I used a Samsung Galaxy S last year for 3 months, and I spent N21,000 on data and calls. N7,000 for a meagre 5GB per month. That's was too freaking expensive for me, so I asked around and was introduced to the BlackBerry Internet Service for which I pay N8,000 for 3 months, for UNLIMITED DATA.
Now tell me why, as a person with complete possession of his senses, will I forego the BB and it's unlimited data plans and texting for say an iPhone or a 'Droid? Please, tell me!
I'm confused. How can networks afford to offer unlimited plans to blackberry users? Do you download the same amount on BB?
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Ronaldo200(m): 7:05pm On Jul 01, 2012
chucky234: You just proved me right that you are truly a village boy,what makes you think I did not grasp your elementry English.
You sleep with google then come here to rant about your petty research,everyone knows that RIM have been going through difficult time in the last few years but that does not implies that Americans and Europeans have stop buying Blackberry phones as your post implied.
You claimed to know so much about Apple and RIM with your empty posts,RIM is struggling yes but their gadgets still generate sales around the world.

It may also interest you to know that Apple would not have been known by many of you today if not for the timely intervention of Bail Gates who bailed them out in 1997, in 2005 they were also struggling. RIM today is a better company compare to Apple in 1997 and that means RIM can also be bail out by top investors as microsoft did to Apple in "97.

If you use BB as you so claimed then puting this post up there on FP make you even a bigger slowpoke,you should have known better that phones are bought based on choice and not by competition.
MUMU-MAGA.
what makes you think I did not grasp your elementry English

Because you said I claimed "it's only in Nigeria that bb has sales", whereas nowhere did I say that. I challenged you to prove where I did say that, and the mumu that you are can't even prove it. So instead you try cover it up with more insults. Sorry ol boy, you can't cover up your stupidity that way. Your nuts don't make you look cool, it just further shows your inability and incompetency at grasping the most basic grammar.

intervention of Bail Gates who bailed them out in 1997
Bail Gates? Na wa for dis guy.....

through difficult time in the last few years but that does not implies that Americans and Europeans have stop buying Blackberry phones as your post implied
Did you actually bother to read the link? I am sure you didn't, because if you did you will PLAINLY see that their share in the last quarter of US sales was 6%. As much as you might want to pretend that you know it all, you really don't know anything. I am posting facts, well known facts, and you are posting foolish insults based on your childish inferiority. I will state the facts again....RIM sales are sliding in North Amrerica and their market share is sliding in Europe. I live in the town (Waterloo) where these devices are produced and I own their stock.

in 2005 they were also struggling

Apple were struggling in 2005? Like, really? Four years after the iPod was released? Dude, do you want me to embarrass you by posting their financial results up here? Your ability to make false claims from thin air, and think that people will believe you just because you shout and add an insult here and there, is amazing. Just to out you out of your misery let me give it to you......in2005 Apple was still the leading mp3 manufacturer, selling heaps of music and movies via iTunes online, and developd steep increases in their annual profits.

If you use BB as you so claimed then puting this post up there on FP make you even a bigger slowpoke,you should have known better that phones are bought based on choice and not by competition.
This is a village idiot if I ever saw one. I asked is it the pinging or the prestige. Who mentioned competition? It was only YOU! You clearly feel rattled that a lot of people have followed after my post and criticized your precious little BB. Poor you. But don't take your rage out on me, cos I did NOT criticize it.

I truly worry for you, you are a few screws loose. Somebody asks question, you reply with venomous anger against things which I clearly didn't write. And when your folly is exposed and you realize that I didn't even mention half of the things you have been ranting about, instead of you to humble yourself, you continue embarrassing yourself.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 01, 2012
Well, I bought bb cos of it cheap subscription. I do what I want online without thinking of my mb anymore, unlike my android which is more powerful but not mb friendly.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Ronaldo200(m): 7:19pm On Jul 01, 2012
chucky234: Another Kenya bushman,Nokia was number one for number of phones produced and never by quality and Blackberry was used only by the rich and celebrities who can afford it then. The early 2000s only musicians,govt officials,the rich and Holywood stars were the only one using BB phones in the US,back then you don't belong if you don't own a BB phone as they were very expensive to own or maintain.

Mumu-maga.
chucky234:
It took Apple 11 years to topple RIM as the world's number one selling phone company,

This post alone shows your silliness for what it is. 11 years? When Apple have only been producing iPhones for five years, and u come claim11. Where did you luck that number from? Just made it up cosnit will make u sound intelligent? Why not 15 years? Or even 20? Very very foolish. state facts, and not random things to make you seem to be smart.

I clearly stated, that BlackBerry was never the top SELLING phone. Which part of that, before you start to rant, do you not understand? Please, it's not everything that must be fight. All I ask, abeg, is to think before you type, and then think read....READ....what I actually wrote. Not what you "think" somebody is saying. I tire....geez.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Ronaldo200(m): 7:20pm On Jul 01, 2012
lekkie073:
Nokia n95 was sold 500dollars on d opening day of launch in usa......
My brother, thank you. Didn't want to mention this, it would just confuse him further, and he would begin anther rant with made-up "facts".
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by ceaser: 8:30pm On Jul 01, 2012
Boboribo: How does an android user in say Kano send a photo of an event in Kano instantly to a friend in Lagos and the friend in Lagos will get instantly. Give me asnwers too for music, videos and URL links. I use a BB currently. Moved from S40 and all this BB is shi.t stuff is making me wonder. I want to learn please.
Symbian, Android, i-Crap, and even s40 users can conveniently do that using whatsapp. It's what I currently use for my cross platform communication. You can send music, pictures, videos and even applications if you don't wanna do it over e-mails. Isn't the symbian world breathtaking? Yes, I know.

Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by queensmith: 8:47pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ronaldo200: Blackberry Sales Only 5% In US & Europe, Why Is It Seen As Prestigious In Naija?

http://www.news24.com/SciTech/News/BlackBerry-maker-in-struggle-for-survival-20120630

So BlackBerry maker RIM is suffering terribly......out of date technology, falling market share behind Samsung, HTC, Apple in terms of market share (only 5% market share now in USA, falling fast) innovation etc. how come people in Nigerianand Africa still seem to love it though? Is it becaue the pinging makes it easy to stay n touch?

Personally, I still maintain an old BB which I received six months unlimited data on :-), I use it to ping peeps in naija and other places. but my iPhone 4s seems to do ten times as much - I went to a conference last month and it did EVERY business task I needed thru various apps, and also my Samsung which runs android was VERY cheap (cheaper than a Bb) and the operating system was amazing.

Apart frm the low cost of the handset and pinging, why do Nigerians still perceive the BB as a "prestigious" handset?

I'm not sure about prestige- but it simply has a different market. Anything that boasts a social network will be popular with the youths.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by chucky234(m): 9:05pm On Jul 01, 2012
[quote author=lekkie073]
Nokia n95 was sold 500dollars on d opening day of launch in usa......[/quoteNokia released N95 in 2007 while RIM released the Pearl 8130 in November of same year and was sold for the same price of the iphone released by Apple 2009.
N95 had a poor sales record against the BB Pearl 8130 on released.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by chucky234(m): 9:47pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ronaldo200:
chucky234:
It took Apple 11 years to topple RIM as the world's number one selling phone company,

This post alone shows your silliness for what it is. 11 years? When Apple have only been producing iPhones for five years, and u come claim11. Where did you luck that number from? Just made it up cosnit will make u sound intelligent? Why not 15 years? Or even 20? Very very foolish. state facts, and not random things to make you seem to be smart.

I clearly stated, that BlackBerry was never the top SELLING phone. Which part of that, before you start to rant, do you not understand? Please, it's not everything that must be fight. All I ask, abeg, is to think before you type, and then think read....READ....what I actually wrote. Not what you "think" somebody is saying. I tire....geez.

I laugh you,you google and then come back here to post what you nothing about.
RIM according have drop by 6% in the last 2 years,did try to find out Apple's situation in 1997 before Bill Gate intervened with $150m? Apple was near bankrupt and was not selling anything unlike RIM who has 9900,9810,9860,the playbook and Porsche doing great in the market.

You also said Apple started making phones 5 years ago,that shows you know nothing about Apple. Big mumu,you are just a google child. The first iphone was released in 2007 but Motorola manufactured a phone called ROKR for Apple before,Apple had a contract with Motorola to manufacture phones for them and Motorola was able to manufacture few phones which Job was not satisfied with before the release of the ROKR.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by cupid4ig(m): 10:06pm On Jul 01, 2012
Funkymallam:

With common whatapp on a S40 fon sef u can do that.

Nxt....
oga try and send a video of 5mb on with whatsapp on ur Nokia phone and tell me how much they deduct from ur phone. U guys should grow up. BB is the best phone in Nigeria
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by cupid4ig(m): 10:17pm On Jul 01, 2012
chucky234: I often wonder how backward people are in this country,OP must a be village man to think that BB is sold only in Nigerian market.

I have been selling high tech phones for six whole years and have been opportuned to use almost every new phone that has been released by manufacturers,I new phones as well used ones as which afford me the opportunity to test run some of the used ones before selling.
It took Apple 11 years to topple RIM as the world's number one selling phone company,with BB Porsche selling for above 300k I still doubt if iphone 5 will cost as much.

I have used iphone 2,3Gs,4 and iphone 4s but they are just too overpriced for my liking,I sold my iphone 4s here on NL two months back then bought HTC Evo 4G which is an amazing phone but I ended up spending N28,000 on datas and that's even higher than what I spent on my 3 year old daughter monthly.
Aside the HTC I uses a bold 5 which is an amazing phone that allow me to stay in touch with the world,my customers,my agents in Europe and my players without spending more than N1400 on my airtel monthly.

The Opera mini on my BB consumed just 778kb to download while the same Opera mini on my android consumed 13.4MB,BB does all my core jobs while my HTC Evo 4G android is just to show-off.

I was watching beyond Stardom yesterday and a Manager at JP Morgan Chase Bank in the US said she sleep with her BB under her pillow,wonder if she is backward as well.

You also fail to ask yourself what was Samsung,Apple and HTC doing when RIM was dishing out high tech phones for 9 years before the world embraced iphones and android phones.
People still buy Curve2 in the US and Europe but no one have time for the Google G1 which is the first android phone manufactured,my friend who is a phone dealer in London still buy BB curve2 directly from owners and that's to say Nigerians are not the only people buying BB phones.

I was surprised to hear somebody say Nigerians are backward for buying BB phones that cost between 50k to 350k but what can you still say about people buying Mercedes Benz like 190 manufactured in 1989,1996,98,99 Toyota Camry and Nissan vehicles that were manufactured 18 years back,is it because we are backward too?

People should be sensible and reason like educated people,a white friend of mine in Woodburn,OR in US still uses a BB bold 9000 which is bold1 and no one is complaining.
We buy 9800,9860,Porsche,9810 yet you moronic brainwashed people still believe we are backward simply because RIM lost 19% shares.

I have an HTC Evo 4G which I think is a better than the iphone 4s yet I have much faith in my bold5 because the phone offers me daily the satisfaction I need at a far cheaper rate,many people out there who uses petty and cheap android phones like the HTC wildfire will still refers to someone who uses a BB 9900 or 9810 as backward.
I sorry for your parents for wasting so much money on your education.
I love u for this ur post #nohomo# some people are just fools they hate a phone for no just reason
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by tysantez: 10:40pm On Jul 01, 2012
Every smart phone users should just accept it,
any day, anytime u cant compare smart phones charges with BB charges.
If u speak of beta apps than d BB good i agree but d charges there
is a glaring different unless u just want to put in sentiment.
I use a BB 9850 with and HTC Velocity 4G so i knw what am saying...
Maybe 1day d data charges would change to balance with d BB
then smart phones would be regarded as d best then
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Ronaldo200(m): 10:44pm On Jul 01, 2012
chucky234: I laugh you,you google and then come back here to post what you nothing about.
RIM according have drop by 6% in the last 2 years,did try to find out Apple's situation in 1997 before Bill Gate intervened with $150m? Apple was near bankrupt and was not selling anything unlike RIM who has 9900,9810,9860,the playbook and Porsche doing great in the market.

You also said Apple started making phones 5 years ago,that shows you know nothing about Apple. Big mumu,you are just a google child. The first iphone was released in 2007 but Motorola manufactured a phone called ROKR for Apple before,Apple had a contract with Motorola to manufacture phones for them and Motorola was able to manufacture few phones which Job was not satisfied with before the release of the ROKR.

Apple had a contract with Motorola to manufacture phones for them

The ROKR was not PRODUCED for Apple. It was made by Motorola, and had  iTunes on it to sell music through their. It was NOT an Apple manufactured product and it was also NOT an Apple Operating System. It's like you having an iPhone today with Microsoft One Note available on it, and then coming to claim that this iPhone is Microsoft's.
Besides, even IF the ROKR was produced for Apple (which it clearly isn't, but I am just saying this so that you can see how silly and baseless your points are), you claimed that Apple has been trying to topple RIM for 11 years. By my Mathis, that would be 2001. Was the ROKR with itunes on it released in 2001? Of course not. Are you following? Do you see that NOTHING you are writing makes any sense?

RIM according have drop by 6% in the last 2 years
It's not according to me. It is according to the facts.....IDC research and other notable research houses. And by the way, your comprehension of simple English grammar lets you down again because I didn't say they have dropped 6%, I said their market share in the states is 6%., but that's by the way. And I didn't google Anything, anybody who reads the press knows this, and I particularly know it because I own their shares, and I am in an industry that tracks RIM.
Apple was near bankrupt and was not selling anything

What's your point? Did you hear me claim that Apple hasn't struggled in the past? Did you see me mention anything about 1997?

RIM who has 9900,9810,9860,the playbook and Porsche doing great in the market
No, no, no, no no. Reading your posts is just painful. This is SO INCORRECT? The Playbook, as much as I like it because I own one, is NOT doing great in the market. It's price started at $500 and because they couldn't sell any of it, RIM quickly dropped the price to $300 to get rid of stock (at one point some stores had it selling at $200). Even now, their share of the tablet market is below 5%. RIM executives, by their own admission, say that they haven't done enough to be able to have the Playbook compete with android tablets and the ipad. This week, they have announced they are STOPPING to make the 16gb Playbook. If you don't want to believe me, I suggest you even look around NL and you will see the same thing discussed. Didn't I tell you to check your facts before you write? Again, stop making up fantasy facts
Also if I may ask, in which markets precisely are the 9900 and 9810 doing well? Who tells you so?

Big mumu,you are just a google child
How do you figure that one? Because I am stating facts, and showing to everyone that your blatant lies are mere stupidity?
1 - you claim I said its in Nigeria where BB only sells, when I did NOT say that, and each time I ask you to show where I wrote it you change the subject
2 - you claim iPhone has been trying to beat BB for 11 years, when in fact the first iPhone only hit shelves five years ago
3 - you claim Motorla developed ROKR for Apple. Another big fat lie. It was developed by MOtorola FOR Motorola, didn't have Apple software or operating system, but just only had iTunes on it
4 - biggest of all, you claim "Playbook is doing great on the market", whereas anybody who even follows just one per cent of the news knows that the PlayBook has been a disaster, and counted for much of RIM's financial problems last year, and that the Playbook's market share is somewhere around 5% worldwide.
And STILL you keep trying to claim I be mumu? You really are a case.

If you have your own agenda to push, that is fine. If you angry that others on this post are criticizing BB or RIM, go vent your frustration at them. But don't be replying to my posts with made up facts, claiming I am a mumu because I am showing that your facts are plainly incorrect, and lying that I said Nigeria is the only place where BB is sold when clearly it is evident to see that I didn't write that ANYWHERE

Now please, go to bed.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Akainzo(m): 10:45pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ronaldo200:
You don't need to call me stupid for asking a simple question. You have talked plenty. Each time I visit naija I notice the BB has the "wow" factor, young people are using it and demanding it, and I was simply asking for explanation of its appeal, given that I have never purchased a BB or any other handset in Nigeria. They even made movie about it and most people I saw craved for one or had one.....that is what prestigious means my friend. If you read the web carefully, in Europe the UK and North America it has very low market share, and in these places more people are buying phones using android OS or even the iPhone.

If you read carefully I said that me sef, I even maintain a BB so there is no need to be so personally offended (calling me stupid) , angry and insultive just because you don't like my question about a simple phone.
Anyways. Guess the question has been answered, that the networks offer competitive data price plans. That's makes sense then. I wonder why they don't offer similar bundles of unlimited data for other devices though.

Stop lying. especially as regards the bolded above. BlackBerry has been the best selling smartphone in UK for the past 2 years, is that a sign of decline in UK
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by 3rdparty: 10:55pm On Jul 01, 2012
For people who don't normally buy credit, BB's still the most popular here that's why
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Ronaldo200(m): 10:56pm On Jul 01, 2012
Akainzo:

Stop lying. especially as regards the bolded above. BlackBerry has been the best selling smartphone in UK for the past 2 years, is that a sign of decline in UK

Nobody is lying. Please check LATEST facts and figures for the UK market before making such accusations.
http://www.ipsos-mori.com/newsevents/latestnews/1107/iPhone-still-leads-the-way-as-Smartphone-ownership-continues-to-grow.aspx

Let me know if the link doesn't work and i will happily copy and paste the text here for you.

This is the most recent data released by an independent source MORI. I pray, please check your facts before claiming that others are lying. I have no agenda here, I own a BB and continue to enjoy it. But I am just trying to state facts, and the mere event that you might not like those facts doesn't mean your response should be to "claim that I am lying".
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Akainzo(m): 11:02pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ronaldo200:

The ROKR was not PRODUCED for Apple. It was made by Motorola, and had  iTunes on it to sell music through their. It was NOT an Apple manufactured product and it was also NOT an Apple Operating System. It's like you having an iPhone today with Microsoft One Note available on it, and then coming to claim that this iPhone is Microsoft's.
Besides, even IF the ROKR was produced for Apple (which it clearly isn't, but I am just saying this so that you can see how silly and baseless your points are), you claimed that Apple has been trying to topple RIM for 11 years. By my Mathis, that would be 2001. Was the ROKR with itunes on it released in 2001? Of course not. Are you following? Do you see that NOTHING you are writing makes any sense?

Google is available and is your friend, the ROKR was made for Apple by Motorolla though it was marketed as a Motorolla phone. It is however a phone whose birth was at the instance of Apple, the design was by Motorolla and network capabilities by Cingular. At that time Apple didn't have the enormous powers that it had now and didn't have the technical abilities to design one.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Ronaldo200(m): 11:09pm On Jul 01, 2012
Akainzo:

Google is available and is your friend, the ROKR was made for Apple by Motorolla though it was marketed as a Motorolla phone. It is however a phone whose birth was at the instance of Apple, the design was by Motorolla and network capabilities by Cingular. At that time Apple didn't have the enormous powers that it had now and didn't have the technical abilities to design one.

My friend, we can debate this and I am glad that you are debating this sensibly with me without turning to insults like the other fellow. That's what we are here for.
But unfortunately, this statement is incorrect. The ROKR was never made FOR Apple. Motorola and Apple collaborated, and the final product included Apple's iTunes on it. It did not have an Apple operating System, no App store (which didn't even exist then) and no Apple hardware. Indeed, if you understand how businesses and JV's work from a legal perspective, then If it was made FOR Apple the accounting in Apple's and Motorolas financial statements of this wiuld have been significantly different.

What It DID do, was give Apple a glimpse of the potential market available for in mobile telephony, and did make them realize that if they wanted to compete in this space it is better for them to go it alone. It kind of wetted their appetite for the market.
But I repeat, in NO WAY was the ROKR an Apple product......rather, Apple merely licensed Motorola to use its iTunes on their phone.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by komodapson(m): 11:49pm On Jul 01, 2012
irrational and not being thoughtful before making a choice on cell phone
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by xprtngnr(m): 12:11am On Jul 02, 2012
Lexusgs430: High cost of communication in Nigeria, and the benefit the blackberry phone + packages it offers, simply helps people from going totally incommunicado.
So long as the cost and ease of communication remains high in Nigeria,blackberry will still be king!!!

U got it all rite tougth andriod or ios r superb 4 surfing nd consoles bt u av 2 pay tru ur nose 4 bundle plan 2 enjoy dem nd u don't jst get wifi or hotspots any place in nigeria so let jst stop diz sayn iphone or smeoda tin rocks. Cos we still in a developing country abi na yankee or uk we dey
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Lexusgs430: 12:42am On Jul 02, 2012
No matter how much blackberry haters hate the blackberry device,it is still the fastest selling device in the Nigerian market today, all those buyers and sellers strictly selling and buying the device cannot all be wrong!!!
The moment Network Providers start selling comparable bundles on other platforms, blackberry devices instantly loses its spot in the Nigerian market.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by n0m0705(m): 6:49am On Jul 02, 2012
It amazes me the way people reason in this part of the world, so those that use android and iphone because they are the in-thing in the western world are not doing follow follow? I don't know maybe u have so much money to throw around,but as for me,I don't bite more than I can chew, I don't see any reason why I should be paying 6k/month for internet browsing on my phone when I av the option of 1400/month. the fact remains that android and iphone data are just too expensive in nigeria. If u are not trying to follow everything that is in vogue in the western world, BB should be the better option for now. Most of the people condemning BB here are only using android and iphone becos they want to follow the trend and not because it is convenient
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:52am On Jul 02, 2012
Ve u really used an android phone in nigeria. Data consumption. Wit 1400 am online for a month dats bb. We all kno android is better but out here in naija bb is economical. Also about d applications hw many u fit use
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:53am On Jul 02, 2012
I am a phone dealer and I can confidently tell u there is more Bb9900 in nigeria than all andriid phones put together

Ronaldo200:

RIM according have drop by 6% in the last 2 years
It's not according to me. It is according to the facts.....IDC research and other notable research houses. And by the way, your comprehension of simple English grammar lets you down again because I didn't say they have dropped 6%, I said their market share in the states is 6%., but that's by the way. And I didn't google Anything, anybody who reads the press knows this, and I particularly know it because I own their shares, and I am in an industry that tracks RIM.
Apple was near bankrupt and was not selling anything

What's your point? Did you hear me claim that Apple hasn't struggled in the past? Did you see me mention anything about 1997?

RIM who has 9900,9810,9860,the playbook and Porsche doing great in the market
No, no, no, no no. Reading your posts is just painful. This is SO INCORRECT? The Playbook, as much as I like it because I own one, is NOT doing great in the market. It's price started at $500 and because they couldn't sell any of it, RIM quickly dropped the price to $300 to get rid of stock (at one point some stores had it selling at $200). Even now, their share of the tablet market is below 5%. RIM executives, by their own admission, say that they haven't done enough to be able to have the Playbook compete with android tablets and the ipad. This week, they have announced they are STOPPING to make the 16gb Playbook. If you don't want to believe me, I suggest you even look around NL and you will see the same thing discussed. Didn't I tell you to check your facts before you write? Again, stop making up fantasy facts
Also if I may ask, in which markets precisely are the 9900 and 9810 doing well? Who tells you so?

Big mumu,you are just a google child
How do you figure that one? Because I am stating facts, and showing to everyone that your blatant lies are mere stupidity?
1 - you claim I said its in Nigeria where BB only sells, when I did NOT say that, and each time I ask you to show where I wrote it you change the subject
2 - you claim iPhone has been trying to beat BB for 11 years, when in fact the first iPhone only hit shelves five years ago
3 - you claim Motorla developed ROKR for Apple. Another big fat lie. It was developed by MOtorola FOR Motorola, didn't have Apple software or operating system, but just only had iTunes on it
4 - biggest of all, you claim "Playbook is doing great on the market", whereas anybody who even follows just one per cent of the news knows that the PlayBook has been a disaster, and counted for much of RIM's financial problems last year, and that the Playbook's market share is somewhere around 5% worldwide.
And STILL you keep trying to claim I be mumu? You really are a case.

If you have your own agenda to push, that is fine. If you angry that others on this post are criticizing BB or RIM, go vent your frustration at them. But don't be replying to my posts with made up facts, claiming I am a mumu because I am showing that your facts are plainly incorrect, and lying that I said Nigeria is the only place where BB is sold when clearly it is evident to see that I didn't write that ANYWHERE

Now please, go to bed.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by blackweaver(m): 7:20am On Jul 02, 2012
n0m0705: It amazes me the way people reason in this part of the world, so those that use android and iphone because they are the in-thing in the western world are not doing follow follow? I don't know maybe u have so much money to throw around,but as for me,I don't bite more than I can chew, I don't see any reason why I should be paying 6k/month for internet browsing on my phone when I av the option of 1400/month. the fact remains that android and iphone data are just too expensive in nigeria. If u are not trying to follow everything that is in vogue in the western world, BB should be the better option for now. Most of the people condemning BB here are only using android and iphone becos they want to follow the trend and not because it is convenient

And what happens when BB eventually goes bankrupt? you think you'd still have your "unlimited data" because unless something changes soon that is going to happen; truth of the matter is nigeria may be a large market in africa but it's a very small market in the world; we really have very few big spenders over here, in fact most bb phones in circulation are not brand new, so how is RIM going to sustain themselves on that? even the indian market is moving away from BB

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Use The New Whatsapp Group Video Feature In HD Quality. / Nigerians Heavily Cursed A Girl Who Reported MTN 120GB Viral Cheat / 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.