Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,257 members, 7,822,313 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project (7329 Views)

Prof. Alexia Thomas To Buhari: Shut Down Nigerian Embassy In Uk Within 48hrs / Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. / Air Nigeria Begins Direct Flights To Abuja, Enugu, Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Sunofgod(m): 4:29pm On Jul 01, 2012
The United States on Friday commenced the construction of its embassy annex, which will accommodate three of its agencies in the Diplomatic Drive, Central Area, Abuja.

The Ambassador, Mr. Terence McCulley, said at the ground breaking ceremony that the project, which would cover 7,500 square metres, would cost $119 million.

McCully said that the building would house the US Agency for International Development, Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Department of Defence, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

He also listed a five-level parking garage, a swimming pool and a marine security guard quarters as part of the project.

McCully said, “Many of these team members work out of other office buildings, and must travel to the Chancery building for regular meetings.

“After the completion of this annex, they won’t have to leave this property for meetings.

“Their trips farther afield will be simplified within a coherent support structure. This effort will also improve the conditions under which we all work.”

The envoy said the initiative was a signal that the US considered Nigeria as an important partner.

“Our presence here is critical to maintaining that partnership. It is also a sign that the US is solidifying its commitment to staying engaged in Nigeria,” he added.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Olugbenga Ashiru, said the timing of project was important, given the nation’s current security challenges.

“America believes in Nigeria and its future, and takes a long term view on our relations. We will continue to work together for the success of our bi-national commission,” Ashiru said.

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Senator Bala Mohammed, said the new construction further indicated that Abuja was a safe destination for investment and tourism.

He commended the embassy for its contribution to the city’s development.

The event was witnessed by the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Emeka Ihedioha; Niger State Governor, Babangida Aliyu; and members of the diplomatic corps.

The U.S Embassy in Nigeria was moved to Abuja in 2000.

It still maintains a consulate in Lagos and plans to open one in Kano soon.

http://www.pilotafrica.com/2012/06/29/u-s-embassy-in-nigeria-begins-119m-annex-project/
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Sunofgod(m): 4:34pm On Jul 01, 2012
. . the so called 'War on Terror' moves to Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by kelvincoll(m): 6:35pm On Jul 01, 2012
;DWould this development ensure every NLer who applies for US visa gets it?

1 Like

Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by maclatunji: 6:40pm On Jul 01, 2012
The CIA and FBI Agents need a conducive environment to work.
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 01, 2012
America is a funny country, Nigeria is insecure, yet they are re-strategizing and expanding consulate building....

1 Like

Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jul 01, 2012
maclatunji: The CIA and FBI Agents need a conducive environment to work.
There is nothing CIA and FBI can do, they cant move a muscle, they just realize that China is taking over Africa and the want strategic operational base to make in-road into our economy.

1 Like

Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Musiwa2: 6:50pm On Jul 01, 2012
F
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Sunofgod(m): 6:51pm On Jul 01, 2012
. . .at the US taxpayers expence as usual.

Anyway, I guess US checkpoints are better than Nigerian checkpoints.

Let the 'occupation' commence.

1 Like

Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Sunofgod(m): 6:53pm On Jul 01, 2012
Musiwa2: I dont think that is a smart move... He is putting the lifes of his staff in danger... Everybody is moving away from the north. because there will be trouble.. We are been honest with you. Those people up there will end up blowing up the embassy.

Even it will be hard for God to save Nigeria. I am telling you as an honest person. That it will be hard for God to save Nigeria.

This is the honest truth... Because It will be hard for Jesus to save Nigeria.. The chance that Jesus can save Nigeria is less than 10%. The 10% is miracle from the satellite pictures.. This is why they remain in lagos. to protect themself ..

Why take a risk when you know the people you are dealing with... they dont give a shiit about you. Even during sept 11.. they went out on the street rejoicing that Osama bomb the US .. What do you think will happen to the building.

Do you people , think they are acting up the scene.

Even Britian when it was in Nigeria.. Stay far away from them.. they dont even most time allow southerners to ente their houses .. Not to talk about putting sure where 98% chance they will end up bombing up the building.

Maybe its in anticipation of Nigeria's split.

Maybe the yanks plan to patrol the new borders created between 'old Nigeria' and 'new Nigeria' to keep the moslems at bay?

1 Like

Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jul 01, 2012
Sun of god:

Maybe its in anticipation of Nigeria's split.

Maybe the yanks plan to patrol the new borders created between 'old Nigeria' and 'new Nigeria' to keep the moslems at bay?

Nigeria is not breaking.....the sooner you get your mind off it, the better for you.
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Musiwa2: 6:59pm On Jul 01, 2012
F
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by dasparrow: 7:02pm On Jul 01, 2012
Billyonaire: America is a funny country, Nigeria is insecure, yet they are re-strategizing and expanding consulate building....

I know right? and then when I call americans and their government conniving vultures, some confused forumites will be demanding for my head on a silver platter. Why do americans need to build a department of defence in Nigeria for? and a center for disease control? like seriously! Nigerians better shine their eyes because americans cannot be trusted. I have said my own. Let him/her who has ears hear.

1 Like

Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by manny4life(m): 7:07pm On Jul 01, 2012
Business is booming. grin grin grin

DoD and CDC? Looks like the West African Command will be located in Abuja... embarassed embarassed embarassed

Besides CIA and FBI are NOT DoD...
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by supereagle(m): 7:11pm On Jul 01, 2012
Billyonaire: America is a funny country, Nigeria is insecure, yet they are re-strategizing and expanding consulate building....
The country oil is their target.

1 Like

Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 01, 2012
dasparrow:

I know right? and then when I call americans and their government conniving vultures, some confused forumites will be demanding for my head on a silver platter. Why do americans need to build a department of defence in Nigeria for? and a center for disease control? like seriously! Nigerians better shine their eyes because americans cannot be trusted. I have said my own. Let him/her who has ears hear.
Nigeria is a goldmine, those who know it know it....I laugh when Nigerians cant see they are sitting on goldmine, but I guess many people need to go wash white man's toilet before they come back and invest in this near-zero-tax economy.

3 Likes

Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by manny4life(m): 7:15pm On Jul 01, 2012
Billyonaire: Nigeria is a goldmine, those who know it know it....I laugh when Nigerians cant see they are sitting on goldmine, but I guess many people need to go wash white man's toilet before they come back and invest in this near-zero-tax economy.

Haba, that'[s not true na, every business pays taxes even employees pay income tax and it ain't "near zero" either. The only difference in my opinion, there's less stress than the west. Here you PAY EVERYTHING. Even the bills can run someone crazy as opposed to Nigeria, you're not burdened so much.
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by maigaskiya1: 7:17pm On Jul 01, 2012
Sun of god:

http://www.pilotafrica.com/2012/06/29/u-s-embassy-in-nigeria-begins-119m-annex-project/
ya big enuf 2 house 900 stafs gud.step one stage 2 bomb d day lite out of ds northan pigs
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jul 01, 2012
manny4life:

Haba, that'[s not true na, every business pays taxes even employees pay income tax and it ain't "near zero" either. The only difference in my opinion, there's less stress than the west. Here you PAY EVERYTHING. Even the bills can run someone crazy as opposed to Nigeria, you're not burdened so much.
How many people open up annual income ledgers for IRS to audit and allot appropriate taxation bro ?
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Sunofgod(m): 7:27pm On Jul 01, 2012
manny4life:

Haba, that'[s not true na, every business pays taxes even employees pay income tax and it ain't "near zero" either. The only difference in my opinion, there's less stress than the west. Here you PAY EVERYTHING. Even the bills can run someone crazy as opposed to Nigeria, you're not burdened 'enslaved' so much.

Federal taxes, state taxes - and the worst one off all - TIPS!

Never could understand why 'tips' were seen as the norm in the states.
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jul 01, 2012
supereagle: The country oil is their target.
You have a point there, they are also interested in our banking system, gas and construction contracts.
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by manny4life(m): 7:43pm On Jul 01, 2012
Billyonaire: How many people open up annual income ledgers for IRS to audit and allot appropriate taxation bro ?

IDK, what I do know is that it's not for people or businesses (voluntary) to open their ledgers for IRS audits, however, when you file your taxes, you send in supporting documentation to IRS via mail. IRS auditing every single business is a daunting task, IRS does not expect you to file exact numbers if you're a small business, however, they expect that you file something within the range.

When you file your annual taxes, though some file manually and some file electronically, don't you still send in your W-2 along with your documentation to IRS? Keep in mind that IRS has sophisticated system that track more than 80+million tax records. The same system works for businesses, when you file, if the numbers are out of norm, the system will pick up that anomaly and will request an audit. That's where you're required to subit via mail, a whole lot of documentation.

Small business have revenue class; like businesses who under $1million might under a different IRS code might not be subject to strict audits as opposed to others that make $10+million per year. Like I said, when you file your quarterly reports with IRS, the business will send proof of documentations. In most cases, large companies require third party or CPA's firms/audit firms to do their tax fillings because it's really complicated dealing with IRS.
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jul 01, 2012
manny4life:

IDK, what I do know is that it's not for people or businesses to open their ledgers for IRS audits, however, when you file your taxes, you send in supporting documentation to IRS via mail. IRS auditing every single business is a daunting task, IRS does not expect you to file exact numbers if you're a small business, however, they expect that you file something within the range.

Small business have revenue class; like businesses who under $1million might under a different IRS code might not be subject to strict audits as opposed to others that make $10+million per year. Like I said, when you file your quarterly reports with IRS, the business will send proof of documentations. In most cases, large companies require third party or CPA's firms/audit firms to do their tax fillings because it's really complicated dealing with IRS.

You have spoken well, but the documents you send through is email could be doctored in your favor, every businessman is venture capitalist in nature with high degree of greed. There is no corporate database, there is no employer identification numbers, its a near-zero tax kingdom. No cases of tax fraud and evasion as its predominant in other countries.
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by fuelsaver: 7:50pm On Jul 01, 2012
Your honesty is not in accordance to the truth as recorded in God's word - The Holy Bible. For it is written "Jesus Christ can save to the uttermost part of the earth" and that includes Nigeria. Mind you, salvation is a personal thing. Jesus is able to deliver those who put their trust in Him.
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by manny4life(m): 7:51pm On Jul 01, 2012
Sun of god:

Federal taxes, state taxes - and the worst one off all - TIPS!

Never could understand why 'tips' were seen as the norm in the states.

If I understand, you're referring to the "TIPS" portion of your taxes right? They are because most states and even the FG (uncle same) recognize tip as a form of wage or income and are subjected to taxes as by the IRS code.
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Blyss: 7:51pm On Jul 01, 2012
This is a big investment into the Nigerian economy by the US gov. It'll give a lot of jobs to Nigerian construction workers. Why you'all complaining for? smileyBy the way, embassy grounds are considered sovereign territory of the nation it represents; and they can put pretty much whatever they want on it. So if the US wants to put a marine base, CDC, Defense Department or even a damn nuclear launch site on that piece of land it can do so.
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jul 01, 2012
Blyss: This is a big investment into the Nigerian economy by the US gov. It'll give a lot of jobs to Nigerian construction workers. Why you'all complaining for? smiley
No one is complaining, we are saying....why cast a bleak future about our country, and tell the entire world and your citizen its not safe to live here but they are expanding their consular presence ? Its gets us thinking and reasoning.
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by manny4life(m): 8:00pm On Jul 01, 2012
Billyonaire: You have spoken well, but the documents you send through is email could be doctored in your favor, every businessman is venture capitalist in nature with high degree of greed. There is no corporate database, there is no employer identification numbers, its a near-zero tax kingdom. No cases of tax fraud and evasion as its predominant in other countries.

You're right, that's the laxity and loophole within the system (although I like it that way) lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Until we change the way things are done, VC and business men will let off loosely.
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jul 01, 2012
manny4life:

You're right, that's the laxity and loophole within the system (although I like it that way) lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Until we change the way things are done, VC and business men will let off loosely.
Thats why i termed it near-zero tax regime. In the US, the IRS has automated system of having those taxes file to Uncle Sam and they have standard documents/forms like the 1044 and W-2 and the rest that is mandatory for one to file or risk jail terms, for Nigeria, u will just see Alausa boys with one dirty bus come to your office and give you one letter and look around, if your office is duplex the form may have 70,000 naira, and you take them inside, offer them Malt or beer and hand them 20k, they give you receipt and thank you seriously...lol
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Sunofgod(m): 8:05pm On Jul 01, 2012
manny4life:

If I understand, you're referring to the "TIPS" portion of your taxes right? They are because most states and even the FG (uncle same) recognize tip as a form of wage or income and are subjected to taxes as by the IRS code.

I was more refering to something I noticed whilst there - when you eat out for some reason waitresses seemed to think tips were compulsory rather than optional.

I seemed to remember getting a few bad looks when I first started eating out and only would pay for the food. Afterwards I realised that you will get frosty looks if you dont tip.

I never realised tips were subject to tax - I always presummed they were a gift. (The US sucks!)

From what I understand there is no actual law that requires people to pay taxes (codes/bills/acts are not laws)

I've seen some video's from ex IRS agents who have turned 'whistleblowers' who have exposed the 'tax racket' that's taking place in the US.

US citizens have been enslaved by the IRS - they have become liable through ignorannce for the national debt which they and their future generations have no chance of paying up.

1 Like

Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by Blyss: 8:16pm On Jul 01, 2012
Billyonaire: No one is complaining, we are saying....why cast a bleak future about our country, and tell the entire world and your citizen its not safe to live here but they are expanding their consular presence ? Its gets us thinking and reasoning.

Actions speak better than words. It was never stated that Americans should not go to Nigeria, but rather that they should do so with extreme caution while if they planned on traveling in the North and or South East.
Re: US Embassy In Nigeria Begins $119m Annex Project by manny4life(m): 8:19pm On Jul 01, 2012
Sun of god:

I was more refering to something I noticed whilst there - when you eat out for some reason waitresses seemed to think tips were compulsory rather than optional.

I seemed to remember getting a few bad looks when I first started eating out and only would pay for the food. Afterwards I realised that you will get frosty looks if you dont tip.

I never realised tips were subject to tax - I always presummed they were a gift. (The US sucks!)

From what I understand there is no actual law that requires people to pay taxes (codes/bills/acts are not laws)

I've seen some video's from ex IRS agents who have turned 'whistleblowers' who have exposed the 'tax racket' that's taking place in the US.

US citizens have been enslaved by the IRS - they have become liable through ignorannce for the national debt which they and their future generations have no chance of paying up.

Oh my bad, you're referring to that kind of mandatory tips. YES, most states make it mandatory, for me, I don't know why they do such. It's kinda like a compulsory (idk WHAT TO CALL IT) thing to support the wage particularly in establishment like hotels, high class restaurants etc. Some say it's 15% for instance in boutique hotels, it's like 25%. Don't ask me, I don't know, that's why little me, goes to smaller restaurants like Friday and eat lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed. No no to McDonalds and their trans fat menu. angry angry angry

That type of tipping is voluntary NOT the mandatory ones, however, you don't owe no body money, shoot, if you look at me, I'll look at you. Although, it's the MOST APPROPRIATE thing to do....TBH. I tip when I get on the taxi, cut my hair, eat at the restaurant, buy a drink, etc.

Tips are subject to taxes... go figure . You see why I said U.S. is killing us.

There's a difference between paying taxes and filling it. Yes you might not pay your taxes, after all, me sef I still owe almost $450 on my 2011 taxes, but NOT filling your taxes is a serious offense. There are laws in place that you must file to avoid severe penalties and obviously pay your taxes (if you owe), if not, IRS will move to place a lien on your assets (Bank accounts majorly).

There's indeed a tax loophole within the system, I will love to share them, (how to beat the tax system 101), but I wouldn't, that will land me in jail... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I tell you my brother, we're enslaved in this country, that's why me I'm planning to return back to Nigeria. This place can drive you nuts, and the debt issues, IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM. Rep Ryan and Bohner are trying to broker a deal with Democrats to reduce expenditures. Last year budget showdown was small, 2012 budget showdown will be chaos.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rivers State Governorship Elections ; Nyesom Wike Expected To Win. Pictures. / Pls Who Knows About Royal Global Trade &invt Ltd / Tinubu Calls Igbo People "Awon Okoro" In Soon To Be Released Tapes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.