Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,542 members, 7,823,375 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? (11288 Views)

How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? / Kegites Club: Unity In Diversity...please Introduce Urself And Ur Ilya / Question To The Fulani Folks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 05, 2012
Maya Angelou in Ghana

Malcom X in Nigeria - he was named Omowale.

[img]http://yeyeolade.files./2011/05/malcolm-x-in-africa-19641.jpg?w=450&h=316[/img]

Malcolm X in Ghana
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by anonymous6(f): 8:00pm On Jul 05, 2012
shymmex:

They need to do it on a bigger scale like the Festac 77 thing, and make it an annual event..

We've a lot to show case - and they can make it a 7-day event..

With that, Africa diaspora can start having a sense of belonging...

They get more connected to Africa...

I don't know how many times I've heard AAs, Black South Americans, and Afro-Caribbeans talk about Osun and Yemaja - yet most of them don't even know where Nigeria is on the map.... grin

Black unity is possible - but it has be a gradual thing, and we need to start reaching out to them.

I have heard of Black Brazilians and black Caribbeans talk about yemoja and etc not african americans, but heah I am not disputing you

I think we need to reach with each other before reaching to african americans; I feel black Brazilians, afro-caribeans have already built the connection with Africans to a extent already, and it is getting stronger, especially in Ghana, with the reggae movement but I feel Black africans need to make the step forward intially among themselves
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 05, 2012
Shymmex you made your point already grin

even if you put the proof out there some folks won't change their mentalities.
note chima and royal have long since left the conversation as they too have seen this.
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 05, 2012
anonymous6:
I have heard of Black Brazilians and black Caribbeans talk about yemoja and etc not african americans, but heah I am not disputing you

I think we need to reach with each other before reaching to african americans; I feel black Brazilians, afro-caribeans have already built the connection with Africans to a extent already, and it is getting stronger, especially in Ghana, with the reggae movement but I feel Black africans need to make the step forward intially among themselves

You need to watch the Osun festival on youtube...

Osun and Yemaja are the two favourite gods most AAs who practice African spirituality worship.. I can give evidence of AA scholars worshipping yemaja - most do it with the Egyptian MAAT thing...

It also depends on where you live in America..

I have seen blacks in Philly do African gods parade on countless occasions, and a lot of AAs in New York also do... Check Oyotunji village on youtube, I don't know where the village is, but it seems it's in South Carolina..

They also have an Igbo cultural festival thing in virginia.
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jul 05, 2012
MsDarkSkin: Shymmex you made your point already grin

even if you put the proof out there some folks won't change their mentalities.
note chima and royal have long since left the conversation as they too have seen this.

Anonymous6 is Nigerian America, and she's easier to talk to than the other ones...

The other ones have the proper fake big man Nigerian mentality lol.
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jul 05, 2012
^^ anyway...
you ever hear of the Gullah of South Carolina who still speak African dialects? smiley
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 05, 2012
Oyotunji village in South Carolina showing AAs speaking broken Yoruba, and enjoying the culture of their ancestors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4EEjB4q3k4
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 05, 2012
MsDarkSkin: ^^ anyway...
you ever hear of the Gullah of South Carolina who still speak African dialects? smiley

Yeah, even those in Louisiana and New Orleans.
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by anonymous6(f): 8:18pm On Jul 05, 2012
shymmex:

You need to watch the Osun festival on youtube...

Osun and Yemaja are the two favourite gods most AAs who practice African spirituality worship.. I can give evidence of AA scholars worshipping yemaja - most do it with the Egyptian MAAT thing...

It also depends on where you live in America..

I have seen blacks in Philly do African gods parade on countless occasions, and a lot of AAs in New York also do... Check Oyotunji village on youtube, I don't know where the village is, but it seems it's in South Carolina..

They also have an Igbo cultural festival thing in virginia.

True, I am not disagreeing with anything you said with this post; each community will be fine in their own way, things take time. Both of us have 2 different ways of pushing back African progress. Non is wrong, their is progress in both ends as far as I am concerned. I feel people like you are the best to extend that to black diasporians, particularly African Americans but to me I want to do with in the black African community

1 Like

Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 05, 2012
anonymous6:
True, I am not disagreeing with anything you said with this post; each community will be fine in their own way, things take time. Both of us have 2 different ways of pushing back African progress. Non is wrong, their is progress in both ends as far as I am concerned. I feel people like you are the best to extend that to black diasporians, particularly African Americans but to me I want to do with in the black African community

I'm already doing that, and we all share the same point of view that the black race must unite...

Anyone against our unity can go jump in the Lagos lagoon... We're young and increasing the network... In 10 years time, we will be older - and the networking and consciousness should have increased by then..

All the docile ones can go meet their masters in Europe - change is definitely coming, and we've learned from the mistakes of our predecessors. cool
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by anonymous6(f): 8:25pm On Jul 05, 2012
shymmex:

I'm already doing that, and we all share the same point of view that the black race must unite...

Anyone against our unity can go jump in the Lagos lagoon... We're young and increasing the network... In 10 years time, we will be older - and the networking and consciousness should have increased by then..

All the docile ones can go meet their masters in Europe - change is definitely coming, and we've learned from the mistakes of our predecessors. cool

True, lol

p.s. just make sure you don't forget what community you are from? and always make them to the priority
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 05, 2012
anonymous6:
True, lol

p.s. just make sure you don't forget what community you are from? and always make them the priority

What community? grin

I've suffered more bigoted bs from freaking Nigerians than Afro-Caribbeans... If they're not calling me Oyinbo, those fools will say I'm not African enough - the same people who have no clue about their own history..

It goes both ways...There are ignorant and myopic people on both sides...

I see myself as an African in diaspora - and all black people are family to me... If I can overcome racism from whites - then bigotry from blacks don't faze me... It's just another day in the world.. grin

I can't even count the number of bigoted bs some people have spewed to me on this damn forum because I'm Yoruba - I've outgrown that bs now lol.
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by anonymous6(f): 8:44pm On Jul 05, 2012
shymmex:

What community? grin

I've suffered more bigoted bs from freaking Nigerians than Afro-Caribbeans... If they're not calling me Oyinbo, those fools will say I'm not African enough - the same people who have no clue about their own history..

It goes both ways...There are ignorant and myopic people on both sides...

I see myself as an African in diaspora - and all black people are family to me... If I can overcome racism from whites - then bigotry from blacks don't faze me... It's just another day in the world.. grin

I can't even count the number of bigoted bs some people have spewed to me on this damn forum because I'm Yoruba - I've outgrown that bs now lol.

well I must admit Nigerians are not perfect, so I won't dispute that because i have experienced some foolish Nigerians but for me I have been through racism from African Americans and white Americans but I have met nice educative people from both communities but in the end of the day I considered myself Nigerian American or American born Nigerian. I am pretty nuetral with both communities now. I am just saying to watch out, I have seen people get hurt when they forget where they are from or their community
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 05, 2012
anonymous6:
well I must admit Nigerians are not perfect, so I won't dispute that because i have experienced some foolish Nigerians but for me I have been through racism from African Americans and white Americans but I have met nice educative people from both communities but in the end of the day I considered myself Nigerian American or American born Nigerian. I am pretty nuetral with both communities now. I am just saying to watch out, I have seen people get hurt when they forget where they are from or their community

I know where I'm from, that's why I'm on this forum in the first place, and that's why I read about Nigeria everyday... I know a lot about Nigeria - and even if the country continues to disappoint, I'll never forget my Yoruba heritage... Yoruba is me, and I'm a proud Yoruba guy lol.

Some Jamaicans are like that as well in the UK - but they're the ignorant minority... Most of the ones that I know align with Africa than most Nigerians... you need to see them wear African attire - something many Nigerians are ashamed to do..

Just align yourself with the conscious and enlightened ones, and you'll be fine... The ignorant ones are just as bigoted as the ignorant Nigerians..
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by anonymous6(f): 8:59pm On Jul 05, 2012
shymmex:

I know where I'm from, that's why I'm on this forum in the first place, and that's why I read about Nigeria everyday... I know a lot about Nigeria - and even if the country continues to disappoint, I'll never forget my Yoruba heritage... Yoruba is me, and I'm a proud Yoruba guy lol.

Some Jamaicans are like that as well in the UK - but they're the ignorant minority... Most of the ones that I know align with Africa than most Nigerians... you need to see them wear African attire - something many Nigerians are ashamed to do..

Just align yourself with the conscious and enlightened ones, and you'll be fine... The ignorant ones are just as bigoted as the ignorant Nigerians..

understood

all my friends are educated, and been to many countries, not ignorant at all, most are Nigerians, Ghanians, Ethiopian, other African nations, Indians and afro-caribbeans, Europeans; I don't hang out with ignorant and foolish people either.
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jul 05, 2012
anonymous6:
understood

all my friends are educated, and been to many countries, not ignorant at all, most are Nigerians, Ghanians, Ethiopian, other African nations, Indians and afro-caribbeans, Europeans; I don't hang out with ignorant and foolish people either.

grin grin grin grin

You need to join our brotherhood!

Let's save Africa. grin
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by anonymous6(f): 9:31pm On Jul 05, 2012
shymmex:

grin grin grin grin

You need to join our brotherhood!

Let's save Africa. grin

thanks, I am already in the movement helping black africans
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jul 05, 2012
anonymous6:

thanks, I am already in the movement helping black africans

how old are you?
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by anonymous6(f): 9:36pm On Jul 05, 2012
shymmex:

how old are you?

Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 05, 2012
anonymous6:

Oh, ok..

Please, read the Chancellor Williams' book, and read books from Cheikh Anta Diop (A Senegalese Scientist)...

Those books will help you see things more clearly... Steve Biko changed my life!

God help us all. cool
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by anonymous6(f): 9:44pm On Jul 05, 2012
shymmex:

Oh, ok..

Please, read the Chancellor Williams' book, and read books from Cheikh Anta Diop (A Senegalese Scientist)...

Those books will help you see things more clearly... Steve Biko changed my life!

God help us all. cool

I'll read it but I doubt it will change my views; in the end of the day each black community is responsible for themselves.

any way good discussion
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 05, 2012
^^^^Watching Angela Basset on TV - that's a proper Yoruba woman. grin

One black race divided by the ocean. grin
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Ybutterfly: 9:59pm On Jul 05, 2012
GOOOOO^^^^^^^^^^I FEEE LIKE MESSING SOME PEOPL UP TODAY^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Ybutterfly: 10:02pm On Jul 05, 2012
anonymous6:

I'll read it but I doubt it will change my views; in the end of the day each black community is responsible for themselves.

any way good discussion

shymmex: ^^^^Watching Angela Basset on TV - that's a proper Yoruba woman. grin

One black race divided by the ocean. grin

^^^^^^^^^^^^ lEEEt thIs sTupID tHreAd DiE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2 Likes

Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jul 05, 2012
lol....@Y butterfly

@shymmex i just finished reading your posts..you are one educated brother. smiley
kudos for your posts.
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Ybutterfly: 10:29pm On Jul 05, 2012
MsDarkSkin: lol....@Y butterfly

@shymmex i just finished reading your posts..you are one educated brother. smiley
kudos for your posts.

^^^^^^^lEt tHi$ tHrEaD dIe^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Ybutterfly: 10:31pm On Jul 05, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^FFFFFFFOOOOOOOUUUUUURRRRRRR^^^^^^^^^^^
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Ybutterfly: 10:33pm On Jul 05, 2012
^^^^ ^^^^^^ tongue
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Ybutterfly: 11:11pm On Jul 05, 2012
^^^^^akata's ShOUlD mix wITh wHiTes VeRy fASt sO thEy CAN WIPe OuT whItE peOpLe anD tHemSelVes aND TuRN mIxED^^^^^^^sOO tHeY CaN hAvEE tHeIR GOOD HAIR HEEEEEEEEEEE grin

I WouLd AFrIcAnS aRe SlOWWWW oooo^^^^^^ aT LeasT WeeeE hAvE EGUSI
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 06, 2012
grin grin grin grin
Drugs....
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Aug 10, 2012
we gave you your chance(BA) you messed it up trying to enslave your brothers .......no union is possible .......the link between usis not enough strong only the color of our skin that's not enough ...
Re: Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? by Joliecoco: 4:02am On Aug 11, 2012
No , there will never and don't bash AA. At least they have some excuse for their identity crisis. You have black people in Africa who consider themselves to be Arabs , white and anything but black eventhough they are darker

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

What Does “akanda”/“akanda Omo” In Yorubaland Mean? / What Is The Pidgin Translation Of Your Native Name? / Dating A Nigerian Guy In China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.