Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,859 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

No Official Delegation To Olympics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Official Delegation To Olympics (3159 Views)

Buhari Sends Delegation To Abuja Bomb Blast Scenes (Photos) / ‘Nigeria Has No Official Religion’ - Buhari / Obama To Send High-powered Delegation To Buhari’s Inauguration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Official Delegation To Olympics by muami(m): 8:21pm On Jul 05, 2012
Nigeria will not be sending an official government delegation to the Olympic Games in London, Sports Minister Bolaji Abdullahi has said.

The move was to cut costs and stop the jamborees of the past, he said.

The BBC's Oluwashina Okeleji in Lagos says official sporting entourages are usually huge and have come in for much criticism recently.

The officials often have little or nothing to do with the sport they are travelling to support, he says.

The sports minister said the unprecedented move was also intended to keep athletes focused.

"What we are doing is that we are taking all reasonable measures to ensure that every single person going to the Olympics has a business in the Olympics," Mr Abudallahi told reporters.

Any Nigerian state governor spotted in London between 27 July and 2 August would be at the Olympics in a personal capacity, he said.

Our reporter says an anti-corruption investigation was launched after the 2010 football World Cup because of the exorbitant bill for officials who travelled to South Africa.

When Nigeria's football team travels, the delegation is often much larger in number than the team and it expands several times over if the Super Eagles progress in the competition, he says.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18720212
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by muami(m): 8:23pm On Jul 05, 2012
The government sends a 'large' delegation to Brazil, we condemn. The government sends no delegation to Olympics yet we do not commend.
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by VoodooDoll(m): 8:28pm On Jul 05, 2012
muami: The government sends a 'large' delegation to Brazil, we condemn. The government sends no delegation to Olympics yet we do not commend.

Why should we commend? Do you clap for a 52 year old man just because he has learnt to differentiate his buttocks from his elbow?

Let's wait and see, I'm sure some clowns somewhere will still find an event they will want to visit in London!

4 Likes

Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by muami(m): 8:57pm On Jul 05, 2012
VoodooDoll:

Why should we commend? Do you clap for a 52 year old man just because he has learnt to differentiate his buttocks from his elbow?

Let's wait and see, I'm sure some clowns somewhere will still find an event they will want to visit in London!

If you criticized the 52 year man because he could not differentiate his buttocks from his elbows then you have a duty to commend him he learns to do it. Otherwise, the motive behind your earlier criticisms (and indeed future criticisms) becomes suspect. In fact, it would be in order to begin to suspect that you had a hand in his initial lack of knowledge!

2 Likes

Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by DisGuy: 9:22pm On Jul 05, 2012
Our reporter says an anti-corruption investigation was launched after the 2010 football World Cup because of the exorbitant bill for officials who travelled to South Africa.

and what happened?
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by Kobojunkie: 9:27pm On Jul 05, 2012
Make we wait now . . . we still have some weeks before Olympics. Na usually last minuter we hear dem dey send 300 delegates . . . so make una wait oo. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by omo9ja1(m): 1:11pm On Jul 06, 2012
Our reporter says an anti-corruption investigation was launched after the 2010 football World Cup because of the exorbitant bill for officials who travelled to South Africa[/size][size=8pt]

and what happen after the investigation?

Fools!
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by Boboribo: 1:15pm On Jul 06, 2012
Lies. Some of them are already out of the country and will connect London for the Olympics.
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by drmma: 1:19pm On Jul 06, 2012
tr8t76-089=
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by kiyosaki1(m): 1:21pm On Jul 06, 2012
What is there to commend ,do you realised that the same sport minister during the press briefing said there is nothing wrong in officials being more than athletes .I think he even made mentioned of boxing though I can recollects his defence can't wait for 2015 to vote out the vagabonds in power
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by ifihearam: 1:29pm On Jul 06, 2012
Good move
GEJ transformation agenda is at work
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jul 06, 2012
They are camped in Germany as I type and will be moving over to London soon. What does the sport minister mean by official delegation? Papa Deceive Pickin
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by brownlord: 1:47pm On Jul 06, 2012
kiyosaki1: What is there to commend ,do you realised that the same sport minister during the press briefing said there is nothing wrong in officials being more than athletes .I think he even made mentioned of boxing though I can recollects his defence can't wait for 2015 to vote out the vagabonds in power

How can you forget, the mad man says "One boxer, needs a doctor,a physiotherapist, psychologist, a coach, assistant coach, may be adviser and personal assistant and who knows a commisioner and house help, useless govt.
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 06, 2012
muami:

If you criticized the 52 year man because he could not differentiate his buttocks from his elbows then you have a duty to commend him he learns to do it. Otherwise, the motive behind your earlier criticisms (and indeed future criticisms) becomes suspect. In fact, it would be in order to begin to suspect that you had a hand in his initial lack of knowledge!

Commending a 52-year old man for such an elementary accomplishment is rewarding mediocrity. In fact he should be flogged! At that age, he should be running big companies, setting legacies...and sending astronauts to the moon.
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by chyket(m): 1:54pm On Jul 06, 2012
Why are we moving from one extreme to the other?If this is supposed to be a publicity stunt,Sorry it's not working for me.
Government should send a compact delegation to London Olympics,A delegation that reflects the current reality on ground in Nigeria.
Our problem is not about sending a delegation to International events but making sure that they conform to International best practices.
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by unclebros: 2:17pm On Jul 06, 2012
52 year old man and buttocks grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Nairaland people no go kill me with laughter, love you guys

1 Like

Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by slimming: 3:06pm On Jul 06, 2012
The move was to cut costs and stop the jamborees of the past, he said.

Thanks o jere

1 Like

Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by dedeike: 4:11pm On Jul 06, 2012
@kobojunkie, it's obvious you would never see anything good in this GEJ beacuse you are paid to rubbish all his efforts on Nairaland. I don't expect you to be objective. Doing so might strip you of your only means of livelihood. Anytime I log onto Nairaland, you re always attacking one GEJ policy or another. I begin to wonder whether anyone will be so desperate in this hatchet job without a fee. I do not begrudge you for doing the job of your paymasters but I advice you to be more discreet about it. This is necessary so that you will restore a modicum of credibility to your posts. A situation where you just jump to criticise anything GEJ leaves you hollow and foolish in the eyes of right thinking members of this forum. Take the issue on hand for example, no body has asked for a national merit award to be conferred on Jonathan for canceling Govt's official delegation to the London Olympics. It's just a matter of acknowledging that govt is beginning to realize that it's no longer business as usual. This cancellation marks a clear departure from the past when tax payers money was used to sponsor over bloated govt delegations to sports events. Every objective mind will commend this step and move unto the next one. It is testamentary of the transformation agenda that govt is opening up probes into every sector, setting up independent committees to carry out sensitive assignments, merging agencies and cutting the cost of governance. This is one of those measures. We should applaud it and move ahead

2 Likes

Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by Afam4eva(m): 4:20pm On Jul 06, 2012
It's not like Nigerian athletes will make any impact anyway, so they could as well stop the team from going. See the way our olympic athletes were embarrased in Benin republic.
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by StarrMatthieu: 4:25pm On Jul 06, 2012
Nice work!
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by Kobojunkie: 5:10pm On Jul 06, 2012
Kobojunkie: Make we wait now . . . we still have some weeks before Olympics. Na usually last minuter we hear dem dey send 300 delegates . . . so make una wait oo. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by TrueNaijaguy: 5:13pm On Jul 06, 2012
Kobojunkie: Make we wait now . . . we still have some weeks before Olympics. Na usually last minuter we hear dem dey send 300 delegates . . . so make una wait oo. grin grin grin grin grin

So you are patiently praying and waiting for the government to fail so you can laugh at them. Of what benefit will it be to you? 'Bad belle' does not pay in any way. The government is not perfect and its only natural if we constructively citisize and also commend when necessary.

This is a laudable feat, why wait for it to fail?
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by Mandelaguy(m): 5:56pm On Jul 06, 2012
I am impressed and know that people like kobojunkie are too,but they will never own up to the fact that reforms are actually taking place and govt is gradually taking the shine off top civil servants and public office holders who made tax payers money theirs to squander at will. The fear that GEJ administration will succeed is going to be with you guys for a long time and when it enters history as the best Nigeria has ever had since independence,he and the team that helped him succeed will have the last laugh,but meanwhile when you see something worthy of praising,put aside ego,forget the money you were paid and simply stand up to the truth that your conscience pushes for.
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by deda(m): 9:44pm On Jul 06, 2012
TrueNaijaguy:

So you are patiently praying and waiting for the government to fail so you can laugh at them. Of what benefit will it be to you? 'Bad belle' does not pay in any way. The government is not perfect and its only natural if we constructively citisize and also commend when necessary.

thANK U FOR THE REASONABLE POST. THOUGH NOT A FAN OF GEJ GOVT, BUT WEN ITS TIME TO COMMEND LETS DO SO , EVEN IF ITS JUST ALITTLE

dedeike: @kobojunkie, it's obvious you would never see anything good in this GEJ beacuse you are paid to rubbish all his efforts on Nairaland. I don't expect you to be objective. Doing so might strip you of your only means of livelihood. Anytime I log onto Nairaland, you re always attacking one GEJ policy or another. I begin to wonder whether anyone will be so desperate in this hatchet job without a fee. I do not begrudge you for doing the job of your paymasters but I advice you to be more discreet about it. This is necessary so that you will restore a modicum of credibility to your posts. A situation where you just jump to criticise anything GEJ leaves you hollow and foolish in the eyes of right thinking members of this forum. Take the issue on hand for example, no body has asked for a national merit award to be conferred on Jonathan for canceling Govt's official delegation to the London Olympics. It's just a matter of acknowledging that govt is beginning to realize that it's no longer business as usual. This cancellation marks a clear departure from the past when tax payers money was used to sponsor over bloated govt delegations to sports events. Every objective mind will commend this step and move unto the next one. It is testamentary of the transformation agenda that govt is opening up probes into every sector, setting up independent committees to carry out sensitive assignments, merging agencies and cutting the cost of governance. This is one of those measures. We should applaud it and move ahead

gbam.
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by Kobojunkie: 9:52pm On Jul 06, 2012
TrueNaijaguy:

Silly!! I don't have to patiently pray for anything. I simply have to look at the current government's track record for what to expect. Now when it does happen, I won't be surprised, and if it doesn't happen then . . . well.. THEN I will be shocked, but before then, NO.

It is show of utmost "stu_pidity" on your path to assume my voicing my disgust at the level of spending which with facts available has become the existence in Nigeria, is as a result of "Bad Belle" I harbor against this civil servant, elected by the people to run the country.

No government in the world is perfect . . . in fact, PERFECT is not in any of the contracts signed by any government in the known world. So again, rather than reveal the low levels of ignorance you are operating from, you are probably best to avoid posting these ignorant retorts . . . it really does your IQ no good.
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by yungjuve(m): 11:24am On Jul 07, 2012
afam4eva: It's not like Nigerian athletes will make any impact anyway, so they could as well stop the team from going. See the way our olympic athletes were embarrased in Benin republic.
shut up dere which athletes were embarrased abi u no dey read news we topped d medals table in benin bad belle
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by yungjuve(m): 11:26am On Jul 07, 2012
At last dis govt are using dire heads well. Good job
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by nagoma(m): 4:00pm On Jul 07, 2012
dedeike: @kobojunkie, it's obvious you would never see anything good in this GEJ beacuse you are paid to rubbish all his efforts on Nairaland. I don't expect you to be objective. Doing so might strip you of your only means of livelihood. Anytime I log onto Nairaland, you re always attacking one GEJ policy or another. I begin to wonder whether anyone will be so desperate in this hatchet job without a fee. This is one of those measures. We should applaud it and move ahead

I am sorry but Kobo has every reason to be cautious about the present Nigerian governments actions and in- actions. Jona has not shown us his capacity to lead the country to a new level. As much as I want him to succeed ( because his success is development for Nigerians and for Nigeria) , i would only count my chicken after they are hatched. Once beaten twice shy, we have been beaten by PDP innumerable times. Shy is not the word - it would be a big shame if we trust Jona before he walks his talk.
Re: No Official Delegation To Olympics by billyG(m): 9:20pm On Jul 07, 2012
how about cutting down the salary of the PDP chairman

(1) (Reply)

Mainok Attack: Nigerian Soldiers Battle Boko Haram; 68 Feared Killed (PHOTO) / Did Buhari Join The Military With A Forged WAEC Result? / Fourth Eligibility Suit: Lawmaker Wants Buhari Disqualified Over Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.