Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,412 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? (23368 Views)

New Naira Notes Ready September Ending – CBN / Are You Still In Possession Of Old Naira Notes? / New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by kiyosaki1(m): 1:07pm On Jul 06, 2012
that was when was when 1 dollar was exchanging for 50 kobo and 1pounds will give you 1 naira

3 Likes

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by GarbaAudu: 1:10pm On Jul 06, 2012
stagger:

Yes it was. Purplish.
@stagger. 50 kobo is my favorite way back then. It's enough for me to drink brahma soft drink, eat smarties chocolate, & pay for a horse ride at Murtala square polo ground (Kaduna).

2 Likes

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by cogbuagu: 1:13pm On Jul 06, 2012
Yes, i remember all these, but guy the lie there na
the 1/2 kobo, I never see or used that one ooo.
i have very other notes during its time.
which year then use 1/2 please.
No u form am?
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 06, 2012
There was 1/2 kobo coin then, i remember spending it during those years
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by shadrach77: 1:16pm On Jul 06, 2012
cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by akhis: 1:18pm On Jul 06, 2012
engr j: Yes i use it then most time if i don't want to go to school my mum will give me 50kobo. grin

Na wa ooh. This means you have been Farouking since the days of one naira notes.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Biggyd2: 1:19pm On Jul 06, 2012
Does anyone have a pic of the 25K coin. Someone is going to thank me for stumbling on this thread today! wink
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 06, 2012
One of my earliest memories was buying "goody goody" sweet for 1 kobo. Then a midsize loaf of bread for 6Kobo. A tin of Carnation milk sold at around 18Kobo. That was when I was leaving in Nigeria o. long before they sold the country. We still call the new country Nigeria too sha, but it doesn't feel like the good old Naija.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Reference(m): 1:21pm On Jul 06, 2012
uchlukez: SMH. Lots of old peeps in nairaland

No, there are more grade school kids here. We are in the digital age.

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by kokomuolo: 1:21pm On Jul 06, 2012
uchlukez: SMH. Lots of old peeps in nairaland

And too many sucklings with running noses hitting their dads and mums keyboards! Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 06, 2012
cogbuagu: Yes, i remember all these, but guy the lie there na
the 1/2 kobo, I never see or used that one ooo.
i have very other notes during its time.
which year then use 1/2 please.
No u form am?
Yes there was 1/2 kobo. it disappeared about the early 80s. It was not as popular as 1 Kobo then anyway.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by eddy42k(m): 1:25pm On Jul 06, 2012
i still prefer the old 50naira and 20naira

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Reference(m): 1:25pm On Jul 06, 2012
kiyosaki1: that was when was when 1 dollar was exchanging for 50 kobo and 1pounds will give you 1 naira

When the median middle class wage was 300 naira a month and a Peugeot 504 cost 4,500 naira.

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by shadrach77: 1:26pm On Jul 06, 2012
the famous moustache grin grin grin

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Clemzy16(m): 1:28pm On Jul 06, 2012
Gone are the days when my parents always give me 5naira coins to school... I remember i always buy kulikuli, abacha cap and hausa sweet...
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by OYOYO1(m): 1:28pm On Jul 06, 2012
Whaoo.... So we all 1s used these coins.... B'cos der r nairas, dat's y we all r called Nairalanders.....
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Reference(m): 1:30pm On Jul 06, 2012
Something really evil happened to this country between 1982 and 1992. Unfortunately all the actors are alive and kicking. And kicking each other around as they try yet again to return. Sadly counting on the selective amnesia we often suffer.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by microgiant: 1:30pm On Jul 06, 2012
kiyosaki1: that was when was when 1 dollar was exchanging for 50 kobo and 1pounds will give you 1 naira

That is true, and things were cheaper then. I remember how expired milks and sardines were destroyed. Those who lived in PHC then will remember the refuse dump at Elechi Beach road.

some peeps used to come and pick the milks & sardines, reselling them at cheaper rates to unsuspecting customers. So what the government normally did was to bring a bulldozer and crush the items (still in cartons).
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by fixmykey(m): 1:32pm On Jul 06, 2012
This note took me back to those days when i use it to buy BAZOKA GUM and Ikebe-Supper or Lolly. lol

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Reference(m): 1:34pm On Jul 06, 2012

And a business BCAL ticket to Gatwick will set you back all of 750 naira. No visa.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by slyashabby(m): 1:34pm On Jul 06, 2012
sylve11:
Bad guy! grin cool
sylve11:
Bad guy! grin cool
sylve11:
Bad guy! grin cool
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by AlhajiPastor: 1:35pm On Jul 06, 2012
while growing, i used to find 1kobo in the gutter, burried under the crimson earthen soil on our unpaved streets, myself and my kid brother would pick them and wash them with ashes from our granny's earthen stove, that 1kobo especailly would be glowing under the radiance of the sun, we'll spend the coins at Mama Elepa (groundnut seller) place, sometimes if we were so lucky to find plenty coins, we would even buy guguru (pop corn) with it. what a good old days, i reminiscence.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Biggyd2: 1:37pm On Jul 06, 2012
I was haunted for a long time by a story my mum told about a woman who everyone thought was poor. During one of the periods when our currency was chnaged, the woman came out on the streets and was screaming like a mad person. When she was finally able to talk, she said that she had been saving a huge amount of money(mostly notes)under her mattress, which had been attacked by insects!

That was the begining of my journey with saving in banks! I couldn't imagine how the woman was able to survive after then.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by amiskurii(f): 1:42pm On Jul 06, 2012
Those money remind me of wen nigeria was still NIGERIA..
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jul 06, 2012
fixmykey: This note took me back to those days when i use it to buy BAZOKA GUM and Ikebe-Supper or Lolly. lol

Lolz, what about Nackson(the guy with d kangol cap that likes to knack apako) and Benbella (the hero that fights for justice). Good old days. I can't remember the 1/2 kobo but I remember the rest. I was an addict to walls ice cream in those days.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 06, 2012
I didn't spend much of the Kobo's but i could remember when N5 would buy me rice N3, beans N1 and meat N1..... grin
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by alexola20(m): 2:15pm On Jul 06, 2012
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 06, 2012
Those Good old school days
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Jalal(m): 2:27pm On Jul 06, 2012
Good old days gone by! If only i had a time machine!
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by agog: 2:29pm On Jul 06, 2012
these are the good old days, ironically military were ruling then. isnt is a pointer that military era achievement far out-weight the civilian achievements? methinks so.
God bless Nigeria.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by sdbaba: 2:34pm On Jul 06, 2012
I have copies of all these notes and I'm keeping them for posterity for my children...
Who knows may be in the next 20 to 30 years it may be worth millions you now
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by k9ine(m): 2:34pm On Jul 06, 2012
I recall cleary while I was in pri. 3, I made 50 kobo, when I allowed some classmates to copy answers from me in an exam (payment b4 service).
My 3 friends and I lived large on rice, meat, ice cream, and 'kulikuli', still went home with 15 kobo. I received the beating of my life from my elder brother who asked why I blew the money that way. I felt like mad - for money wey be my own.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

7 Ways To Get Out Of Debt In 2021 / UBA: What's Killing Your Great Brand?-A FOLLOW UP AFTER MEETING UBA GROUP / Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.