Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? (23369 Views)

New Naira Notes Ready September Ending – CBN / Are You Still In Possession Of Old Naira Notes? / New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by dayokanu(m): 10:41pm On Jul 06, 2012
I remember those notes

When I was in Primary school I never handled money because we ate lunch in school.

When I got to secondary school my dad would give me 1Naira for lunch, After buying and eating like a King, I start with "Ekanna Dimka"(Dimkas nail), eat rice(Rice 40k, Beans 10k, meat 10k), bread and Akara, Meatpie and Green Sands I still had like 30k per day I started saving it and when it was 1Naira I used my savings to buy Guardian Newspaper.

It was later that i soji and started buying Lolly Magazines
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by franktolk(m): 10:56pm On Jul 06, 2012
[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/[/flash]
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by franktolk(m): 11:04pm On Jul 06, 2012
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by hondacrv: 11:08pm On Jul 06, 2012
what of 25 kobo coins,hope someoneremembered that too,during my primary days i used to buy pop corn 20 kobo and groundnut 30 kobo totaling 50kobo and collect change from 10 kobo,what a good time then
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by sirenoch1(m): 12:40am On Jul 07, 2012
men though i didnt get to spend some of these curencies i am building a collection of old money from cowry to coins with hole in the center just that i dont have the 50kobo note yet.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Alfoasegh: 7:52am On Jul 07, 2012
I remember those good old days in the early 80s in Lagos then. My dad used to give me 10k for lunch which we usually put in our lunch plates, 5k for fruits and an additional 5k for extras e.g. groundnut or kulikuli. Then, a tin of Carnation milk was 15k, Coast milk 20k, and Peak milk 25k. Life was sweet then and economy was booming until shagari introduced his austerity measures that set the ball rolling for the military to take over and bastardize the economy with the irrecoverable blow called SAP. The rest is history now.
And way back then, k meant kobo...
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by microgiant: 9:26am On Jul 07, 2012
isale_gan2:

Hmmm. Nope! cry Naija really was good at some point in time. Very darn good, in fact. Don't make me tell stories o. There are some real old-timers around here - I will start naming names shortly. lol. We They just keep their heads down. You want all my ancient peeps to start coming out of the woodwork and posting as if leisure suits, afro (sheen) and disco are back in style? shocked embarassed

Someone should tell Cap28 about this thread. Hey, bro! cheesy

I always weep when people come here to campaign for IBB cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by InwehAkpevwe(m): 11:00am On Jul 07, 2012
Mehn!doz gud old dayz. Wen e b say if we gat 50kobo we wil b on top/filed satisfied... Bt nw #500 is nt jst even enof... Are we growin or... In dix country?
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by MrFixit3: 12:04pm On Jul 07, 2012
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by 991: 5:54pm On Jul 06
my mum said they used this one pound grin grin grin

https://www.nairaland.com/download/748525
nigerian pound.jpg

If you look at the picture of this currency, check the promise made by the Central Bank. Compare it with the latest currencies we have now. You will discover that we have all been 419ed by CBN. In the first instahnce, will they honour the promose to pay £1.00. Secondly, the new currencies are just a note without any promise. Major currencies have promise "to pay". If you found an old pound currencies, Bank of England will pay you the value, based on the promise. Naija wake up.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by MrFixit3: 12:09pm On Jul 07, 2012
991: my mum said they used this one pound grin grin grin

If you look at the picture of this currency, check the promise made by the Central Bank. Compare it with the latest currencies we have now. You will discover that we have all been 419ed by CBN. In the first instahnce, will they honour the promose to pay £1.00. Secondly, the new currencies are just a note without any promise. Major currencies have promise "to pay". If you found an old pound currencies, Bank of England will pay you the value, based on the promise. Naija wake up.

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by goldline76(m): 1:15pm On Jul 07, 2012
I remember vividly when I use to go to Malam Isah kiosk at Agausa street off Ojo road in the late 70s and 80s to buy delicious sweets and chocolates with just 1 Naira coin taken (mind you not stolen) from my mummy's purse. Children of nowadays, una miss o. I use to consume 2 tins of conbeef (pls u cn correct me if d spelling is wrng) on a sitting. Hei, how I wish the good old day will come again.

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Elbizzcklinz(m): 4:56pm On Jul 07, 2012
Pls i was given assignment in my department to print out all the types of money that nigeria have used. And am happy to see this few... pls can you upload more for me.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Biggyd2: 5:20pm On Jul 07, 2012
franktolk: [flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jFo2kSVuKM[/flash]

Really nice. Would be interesting if you start a thread on this.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by eamon360(m): 8:27pm On Jul 07, 2012
i wil neva 4get back den after sch hr wen my siblings nd i wil kum bak home 4rm sch, my dad wil line k50 on top our TV set then. we wil use it 2 buy Gnut 2 eat garri.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by lanredo1(m): 1:13am On Jul 08, 2012
This is great, you guys challenged me, is any one with early coins that has big hole in the center. I guess that will be the earliest coins. God please restore the glory of this nation. In 70s dollar is far behind naira, infact naira ranked 2nd among the world currencies.

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by ninty: 2:17pm On Nov 28, 2013
Share your information this new Nigeria Forum www.nintyforum.com click to the see the forum.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

7 Ways To Get Out Of Debt In 2021 / UBA: What's Killing Your Great Brand?-A FOLLOW UP AFTER MEETING UBA GROUP / Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.