Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,095 members, 7,821,785 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 (27401 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by semid4lyfe(m): 10:12am On Jul 25, 2012
afam4eva: So, it's neither a hollywood or Nollywood movie.

Guy, what's with you thinking every "oyinbo" movie is Hollywood?

The British make movies too you know. . . .and very good ones at that e.g Exam, The King's Speech, The Constant Gardener, Slumdog Millionaire, The Last King of Scotland, Attack the Block etc

Ever heard of the BAFTA Awards? cool

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 10:20am On Jul 25, 2012
semid4lyfe:

Guy, what's with you thinking every "oyinbo" movie is Hollywood?

The British make movies too you know. . . .and very good ones at that e.g Exam, The King's Speech, The Constant Gardener, Slumdog Millionaire, The Last King of Scotland, Attack the Block etc

Ever heard of the BAFTA Awards? cool

People use American movies and Hollywood movies interchangeably but not all American movies are hollywood and vice-versa. Hollywood movies refers to any movie that's mainstream. It could be a movie produced by a British and acted by Britons.

I know BAFTA awards.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by ijebabe: 12:05pm On Jul 25, 2012
Thanks Villageboi and semid4lyfe smiley

Afam you are correct there are independent, artistic films that cannot be classified as Hollywood as these type of movies are for a select audience. I know this being in the Arts.

As I have said from the start, Half of a Yellow Sun is a Nigerian movie (read the title of the thread). At least to me.
You people are free to label it as you like, that's the beauty of freewill smiley
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by semid4lyfe(m): 12:59pm On Jul 25, 2012
@ ijebabe,

What exactly is your involvement with the arts?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by ijebabe: 1:04pm On Jul 25, 2012
*enters thread, reads post above and runs out!*
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 1:39pm On Jul 25, 2012
ijebabe: Thanks Villageboi and semid4lyfe smiley

You're very welcome.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by toluxe0075: 11:58pm On Jul 25, 2012
Don't worry naw let dat movie make a huge success we'll all knw if itz nolly or hollx wood, una knw who go win naw if e fit turn 2 fight 4 ownership grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by Nollywoodlove(f): 2:09pm On Jul 27, 2012
Lmfwbtoewyom (don't ask me what it means).
So d log an sot of efritin is dat, 'half of a yellow sun' is a collabo afturaw (don't mind my spelling jst tryin 2 copy Jenny baby). Lolz...meaning speedyboi was actually on point while sisi kill and afam were off point. That just proves what the guy said that a lot of nairalanders argue blindly. Imagine the odds fa (anyone who doesn't know anything would just agree since majority carried the vote).
Bt on a serious note, I love that last post of speedyboi; even the most 'amateurish' person in the industry will understand what he was getting at cos it is very understandable and accurate. *thumbs up*

For sisi kill, she jst kept saying 'Nollywood is not involved' everytime without any tangible reason...mehn, speedyboi was right when he said u av loads of inferiority complex in u. I hope u learnt your lessons now; next time you see someone who talks too much and he is persistent, most of them always know what they are saying so don't totally disregard their point.
But how can anyone think å group of people would just come and shoot a film in nigeria without teaming up with the industry? We are talking about nigerian film industry(Nollywood) here ooo, the 2nd largest film industry in the world and the fastest growing in the world. Abeg na,biko make una respect urselves a little. Even south africa whose industry is not that large will not allow such. That's d main reason why most films whose stories are about nigeria are not shot in Nigeria.

@Ijebabe I see u too ooo, you were first hanging on the fence; but when you saw prove, you picked the favourable side....hmmmm, very typical of __________:x.

For the records, me I have sent PM to speedyboi to visit the thread again and see he was actually the right one.

semid4lyf: So how would you classify the movie, Hollywood or Nollywood type?
It is neither of it. Rather it is an international co-production that mainstreams international......

Wrong! The man should rather say; it is a combination of Nollywood and UK film. But I'm not surprised, that's very typical of white men. And as usual nigerians are dummies, let the time come for copyright ownership, then you will see how they twist the nigerian promoters and firms out of getting the copyright of the movie; and they will eventually turn it to their movie. Chei, africa don suffer from inferiority complex sha.

Toor, I don do judgement, lemme start viewing as guest again, follow another thread of arguments; na me and them go see how it ends. grin. Argument is good, at the end of the day, everyone always gets to learn one or two things. Lol

2 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by ijebabe: 3:16pm On Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for your post Nollywoodlove. I haven't edited my comments so please read again. I see the film as Nigerian and hope that Nollywood would take note and produce better films in the future.
I don't want to turn this thread into another episode like sisi kills did because the truth is everyone is entitled to their opinion. I value speedyboi's posts on my threads and hope to see more of him.
Thanks again anyway smiley
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by ijebabe: 5:33pm On Jul 27, 2012
Another good film that released April of this year. Restless City directed by Andrew Dosunmu, a Nigerian Photographer and Filmmaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4VjY0h4YuI
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by babyboy3(m): 6:23pm On Jul 27, 2012
afam4eva:
It's not a collabo anything. Nigeria has no hand in it. Forget the fact that there are some Nigerian cast in the movie. It's a hollywood movie, simple.

SPOT ON........................ Collabo my backside!!!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by babyboy3(m): 6:38pm On Jul 27, 2012
Nollywoodlove: Lmfwbtoewyom (don't ask me what it means).
So d log an sot of efritin is dat, 'half of a yellow sun' is a collabo afturaw (don't mind my spelling jst tryin 2 copy Jenny baby). Lolz...meaning speedyboi was actually on point while sisi kill and afam were off point. That just proves what the guy said that a lot of nairalanders argue blindly. Imagine the odds fa (anyone who doesn't know anything would just agree since majority carried the vote).
Bt on a serious note, I love that last post of speedyboi; even the most 'amateurish' person in the industry will understand what he was getting at cos it is very understandable and accurate. *thumbs up*

For sisi kill, she jst kept saying 'Nollywood is not involved' everytime without any tangible reason...mehn, speedyboi was right when he said u av loads of inferiority complex in u. I hope u learnt your lessons now; next time you see someone who talks too much and he is persistent, most of them always know what they are saying so don't totally disregard their point.
But how can anyone think å group of people would just come and shoot a film in nigeria without teaming up with the industry? We are talking about nigerian film industry(Nollywood) here ooo, the 2nd largest film industry in the world and the fastest growing in the world. Abeg na,biko make una respect urselves a little. Even south africa whose industry is not that large will not allow such. That's d main reason why most films whose stories are about nigeria are not shot in Nigeria.

@Ijebabe I see u too ooo, you were first hanging on the fence; but when you saw prove, you picked the favourable side....hmmmm, very typical of __________:x.

For the records, me I have sent PM to speedyboi to visit the thread again and see he was actually the right one.

Wrong! The man should rather say; it is a combination of Nollywood and UK film. But I'm not surprised, that's very typical of white men. And as usual nigerians are dummies, let the time come for copyright ownership, then you will see how they twist the nigerian promoters and firms out of getting the copyright of the movie; and they will eventually turn it to their movie. Chei, africa don suffer from inferiority complex sha.

Toor, I don do judgement, lemme start viewing as guest again, follow another thread of arguments; na me and them go see how it ends. grin. Argument is good, at the end of the day, everyone always gets to learn one or two things. Lol

Which is Nollywood?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 8:36pm On Jul 27, 2012
Nollywoodlove:

Just responding to the bolded part. I guess you are partially right. However, the 'promoters & firms' have absolutely nothing to do with the copyright! (I must immediately mention I'm not sure what you mean by 'promoters' though.

The 'primary' producers - Andrea Calderwood & Gail Egan in addition to the Executive producers are the people most likely to have the copyright. A hint from the link I posted - "This one is all about Nigerians participating in telling their own story in a unique perspective." - the simple truth is the British side is seeing us as 'participants'. That would be totally wrong of them.

Filmmaking is a bit of a murky business. If they, the British side, approached us (Nigeria), that immediately puts us on the back foot. However, as I am not sure how the project came about the good thing I see is that, very importantly, the Executive Producers - Yewande sadiku & Muhtar Bakare are Nigerians so hopefully more of the copyright lies with them.

We do not know what deal was made with the British side, hopefully it's not a very painful one - it would be far worse had it been 'Hollywood'. Had we (Nollywood) appraoched 'them' with the 'idea' then we would have more chips to bargain with. In Nigeria we're very lax when it comes to copyrights - we steal anything and put it in our films - we play any music that we never 'clear' and always show 'football matches & BBC' on the TV screens sitting in every sitting-room... Now that we are dealing with Brits and British organisations full copyright laws will come into it and it is so complex even a rocket scientist won't understand a thing.

Hopefully more information comes out and we get a much clearer picture of what is what!

Nollywood doesn't really think big. We need to be the ones thinking up massive projects like this, getting everything (rights) in place then approaching the 'west' for collabs or pre-sales to raise significant funds.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 12:16pm On Jul 28, 2012
Personally I don't really care how the oyinbo 'Producer' defines the film, I will join everyone else in calling this a 'Nigerian' film. We have to remember that that is how the audience the world over will see it. The audience really doesn't care where the funding comes from; they tend to think of films how they 'see' them and that is a very good thing for Nigeria concerning this film.
People still say 'Slumdog Millionaire' is an Indian film - simple! It's time for Nigerians to turn up the proud-o-meter!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by SisiKill1: 2:44pm On Jul 28, 2012
I will be brief because it is tedious trying to reason with sentiments. Besides, with the atrocious reading and writing skills and limited comphrension of some people, I fear if I attempt to be anything but brief, their little itty bitty brains will melt from overworking itself.

Collaborators – People who have a SAY during the movie making process – This includes the screenwriter, the Director, the Producer etc It is like trying to build a house. . .you have the engineers who tell how it would be wired, the architect who tells you how it would be built. . .this people come together with their know hows to decide how the movie will be made. It is not only on the creative side, you can also have people who are investing into it. Since it is their money, they want to know how the movie will be made and if the money they are putting is not gonna be wasted.

Participant – People have no say in the Production of the movie. They get paid to carry out the instructions that helps realize the vision the collaborators have come up with, using the building a house example. . .these are the bricklayers, the pompom carriers, the pako carriers.

Can a Participant become a collaborator? Of course but you have to have something to bargain with and usually in film making, it is your name. Say someone like Brad Pitt or Daniel Craig is approached to make a movie . . . they know they have the Audience getting name, so they can say. . .don’t pay me upfront. I know my name on the marquee will draw crowds. I want a percentage of the net income. . .they are investing their name.

Can you have more Participant than Collaborators? Of course, as a matter of fact this is usually the case. Does that mean because the Participants outnumber the collaborators, they are on equal footing. . .HELL NO!!!!!

From the horse’s mouth (Thanks Villageboi for this article)

How would you categorize the movie, Hollywood or Nollywood type?
It is neither of it. Rather it is an international co-production that mainstreams international and home-based stars. I have produced a number of films in different parts of Africa. So, I can tell you that this one’s a different type altogether because it has international stars from UK; the writer and the Director, B. Bandele, are Nigerians and that makes it interesting.

This one is all about Nigerians participating in telling their own story in a unique perspective. It is a love story of two young people falling in love and what happened to them in the cause of their romances.

But what gave the story the depth is the context of the civil war in which families were torn apart; a country trying to be divided and some still trying to stay together in the midst of the war. So, we can only tell that story in Nigeria. It is an international film and we want to an touch international audience. We want to tell a universal story to the universe using a particular incident and locale.

Throughout this debate, I have always maintained that there is no NOLLYWOOD Collaboration.

I said show me a NOLLYWOOD Production Company on the list of Producers. . .they showed me PROMOTERS (In house building sense, this is the person you pay to go pass the fliers that says there is a new house for sale)

Show which NOLLYWOOD Company invested in the movie – Nada!!

Show the NOLLYWOOD Director in the filmmaking process – Birds Chirping

Show the NOLLYWOOD Screenwriter involved in the scripting – Crickets Chirping

Show ANYTHING with NOLLYWOOD that has/had a SAY in how this film is made – Tick tock of the clock.

That they used one or two Nollywood actors and Many Nigerian actors does not mean the movie is a COLLABORATIVE EFFORT [/b]with Nollywood.

You can get away with saying it is a Nigerian movie. . .but barely because like I have said many times the fact that Slumdog Millionaire was shot in India with Indians does not make it a Bollywood or Indian Movie.

Even after the Producer says it is neither a Hollywood nor Nollywood movie, some people are still insisting it a Nollywood, saying she is wrong (can you beat that? Honestly, the nerves on some people. angry)

It is an Independent movie made in Nigeria, with Nigerians (I mean who else are they gonna use if they are shooting it in Nigeria. . . think people!!! undecided )not a [b]NOLLYWOOD MOVIE or A COLLABORATIVE EFFORT WITH NOLLYWOOD

And before anyone gets any ideas of claiming since the writer and Directors are Nigerians, then it is a Nollywood movie. First, The writer sold her rights to the story. . .she has NO say whatsoever in the way it was made and secondly, except you are ready to show is Biyi is a card carrying member of the Nollywood Directors league (do they even have that) then don't even bother going there.

Lmao @ the Fence Sitter. . .hehehehe cheesy

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 3:44pm On Jul 28, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Throughout this debate, I have always maintained that there is no NOLLYWOOD Collaboration.

I said show me a NOLLYWOOD Production Company on the list of Producers. . .they showed me PROMOTERS (In house building sense, this is the person you pay to go pass the fliers that says there is a new house for sale)

Show which NOLLYWOOD Company invested in the movie – Nada!!

Show the NOLLYWOOD Director in the filmmaking process – Birds Chirping

Show the NOLLYWOOD Screenwriter involved in the scripting – Crickets Chirping

Show ANYTHING with NOLLYWOOD that has/had a SAY in how this film is made – Tick tock of the clock.

That they used one or two Nollywood actors and Many Nigerian actors does not mean the movie is a COLLABORATIVE EFFORT [/b]with Nollywood.

You can get away with saying it is a Nigerian movie. . .but barely because like I have said many times the fact that Slumdog Millionaire was shot in India with Indians does not make it a Bollywood or Indian Movie.

Even after the Producer says it is neither a Hollywood nor Nollywood movie, some people are still insisting it a Nollywood, saying she is wrong (can you beat that? Honestly, the nerves on some people angry)

It is an Independent movie made in Nigeria, with Nigerians (I mean who else are they gonna use if they are shooting it in Nigeria. . . think people!!! undecided )not a [b]NOLLYWOOD MOVIE or A COLLABORATIVE EFFORT WITH NOLLYWOOD

Well said! You are completely right in saying it is NOT a Nollywood movie; unfortunately too many people are missing your point which is a shame because it is spot on. This film is not, will never and has never been meant to be a Nollywood movie. Like I said previously Nollywood CANNOT think a tenth as big as this film.

It is a NIGERIAN collaboration ONLY!!

Too bad people that should know better will sing "Shot in Nigeria so it is a Nollywood"; the same don't realise that not every film shot in the US is a 'Hollywood' film. Their capacity for thought only goes as far as throwing a name around for everything. Nor do they understand there is a huge difference between 'Nigerian' & 'Nollywood'.

Nothing spoil, no follow anyone agrue, just leave them to their own devices. Again to those that listen the only thing 'other' that can be associated with this film is the name 'Nigeria'... please stop dashing Nollywood any kudos!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by ijebabe: 1:41pm On Jul 30, 2012
Rita Dominic just tweeted this pic some minutes ago.

And also said 'Can now say I lived in Ibadan for a little over 5 months. That is the longest I've been away shooting a film. It's a wrap 4 me ya'll...'

I'm sitting tight.

PS: Can someone explain why I saw Chidi Mokeme in my dream last night? We were gisting about the movie 76 and sharing a meal! Mehn, odikwa serious o!

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by babyboy3(m): 8:29pm On Jul 30, 2012
ijebabe: Rita Dominic just tweeted this pic some minutes ago.

And also said 'Can now say I lived in Ibadan for a little over 5 months. That is the longest I've been away shooting a film. It's a wrap 4 me ya'll...'

I'm sitting tight.

PS: Can someone explain why I saw Chidi Mokeme in my dream last night? We were gisting about the movie 76 and sharing a meal! Mehn, odikwa serious o!

BOLDED Welcome to the real world! not the crash b@ng wallop been shot at Nollywood
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by ijebabe: 4:34pm On Aug 01, 2012
I can't believe I forgot this movie!

FELA!

It was supposed to come out late this year but as there has been no recent development or update I guess we'll see it in 2013. Still keeping my fingers crossed tho for this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmXLWfWoYRw
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 4:35pm On Aug 01, 2012
^^ isn't that the one that Chiwetel Ejiofor did?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 4:36pm On Aug 01, 2012
Ohhh, that's FELA on broadway.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by ijebabe: 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2012
Genevieve recently shared this soundtrack video and I was reminded that it will be only a couple of weeks for the UK premiere of Tango with Me smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_wjdriMS_g

This is the new trailer. The old trailer is on the previous page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8K3mRCLyTI
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by dont8(m): 6:43pm On Aug 07, 2012
Missed FELA on broadway when it was shown in Lagos, don't know maybe they're still bringing it in the future and am looking forward to FELA! The movie.
ijebabe: I can't believe I forgot this movie!

FELA!

It was supposed to come out late this year but as there has been no recent development or update I guess we'll see it in 2013. Still keeping my fingers crossed tho for this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmXLWfWoYRw
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by Nobody: 2:23am On Aug 08, 2012
I don come with my epistle, hope no one minds
Nollywoodlove: @Ijebabe I see u too ooo, you were first hanging on the fence; but when you saw prove, you picked the favourable side....hmmmm, very typical of __________:x.
Now that's a deluded statement! I will appreciate if you can edit it.
Toluxe0075:
Don't worry naw let dat movie make a huge success we'll all knw if itz nolly or hollx wood, una knw who go win naw if e fit turn to fight for ownership
Nollywoodlove: very typical of white men. And as usual nigerians are dummies, let the time come for copyright ownership, then you will see how they twist the nigerian promoters and firms out of getting the copyright of the movie; and they will eventually turn it to their movie.
GBAM! I don't even think UK will ever produce a film solely about africa and it won't be to bash us.cry
@nollywoodlove; for the records, promoters have nothing to do with copyright ownership except promoting is just part of their job.
VillageBoi: Nor do they understand there is a huge difference between 'Nigerian' & 'Nollywood
actually, there is zero difference between the two as of now. Its not like Hollywood, there is no street or district named Nollywood in nigeria for film productions. Infact, except for some notable independent studios such as Golden effects pictures, Mainframe, Royal Art Academy, Olasco etc, all other films are produced by street hustlers. NOLLYWOOD IS JUST A COLLOQUIAL SYNONYM TO THE NIGERIAN MOVIE INDUSTRY!. If you doubt me check it up. Except you mean something else by saying 'nigerian' Tell me incase .

we steal anything and put it in our films - we play any music that we never 'clear' and always show 'football matches & BBC' on the TV screens sitting in every sitting-room... Now that we are dealing with Brits and British organisations full copyright laws will come into it and it is so complex even a rocket scientist won't understand a thing.

Nollywood doesn't really think big. We need to be the ones thinking up massive projects like this, getting everything (rights) in place then approaching the 'west' for collabs or pre-sales to raise significant funds.
@first bolded, are you sure you still watch Nollywood movies? Or you are judging from their past productions. If you do, then you must have been looking the wrong way. They are now more professional, and the film makers now think big....(not there yet anyways but almost), no more copied stories and mediocre productions. (they don't have to start shooting movies involving fights all the time like Hollywood for me to realise they are thinking big, [/b]besides only an inferiority complex deluded individual will not realise that [b]Hollywood is poor in story lines. Hollywood movies always have the same predictable plots and they continue to repackage the same ols.I can't even start stating most of the vampire films with the same theme, not to start mentioning the adventure, horrors and other genres).Hollywood can boast of its 'technical issues' and that's it. And that's not all what I(everybody) wants in a movie. That's the reason why foreigners who just discovered the Nollywood movies or any other african movies always show affections towards it (except the racist ones)
Meanwhile: make sure you are not buying from wheel barrow pushers(cos you must regret!). If you don't watch from the cinemas, then forget it. The only movies in naija markets are hustler movies. 90% of standard Nollywood movies don't get released into nigeria market due to the fear of pirates. They get released into foreign markets like UK(especially), US(but hard to get) etc.....whenever I miss cinema runs, I order for it online. I don't even dare buying on the streets. And make sure u don't watch(or watch at ur own risk bt don't judge) on africa magic, mytv africa etc..cos its the hustler ones they show, since they don't need any copyright wahala to show them, lolz
@2nd bolded, if you follow publications. The movie from the start was a nigerian idea, I read about a movie for half of a yellow sun since 2008. That time they were looking for sponsors and investors for the movie production, I guess they landed a big one! Besides this is not the first foreign team up of nigerian film makers to make an indigenous movie, I wonder why peeps are making so much fuss out of this one. Well, I have already said I'm not gonna argue anymore on the subject.

@nollywoodlove, åre you an ardent fan of Nollywood or whatsup with your username? Lol
@sisi kill, my advice to you is stop hyping Hollywood for them. Afterall its not gonna change how they always portray your country(and africa as a whole) in their movies. Eg. Tears of the sun, the Sahara, George of the jungle etc... What pains me the most is that, you guys always watch such movies and praise them not realizing their main aim; which is to ridicule Africans in the eyes of fellow Americans and the world.
I actually saw a comment of a white man on a documentary about nollywood on youtube which says
I never know something like this exists in africa, all we ever get to hear about africa are the bad sides
Those are not his exact words but its something like this. You Africans should start working on how the world will begin to see you as an equal being, and not as people who live on trees. But unfortunately, Africans like you are not helping matters.

And I also wonder how many times I will tell you that production companies/studios have nothing to do with the industry that owns a movie. They are profit oriented so they can handle the production of any movie from any country. [/b]Don't you ever learn?
[b]@ijebabe winkwink
I just can't pass by without saying anything cry

[size=16pt]Note that I'm no longer arguing on the movie ownership! So no one should start quoting me unnecessarily orelse, you will get it![/size]

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by omar22(m): 8:36am On Aug 08, 2012
@sisi kill, my advice to you is stop hyping Hollywood for them. Afterall its not gonna change how they always portray your country(and africa as a whole) in their movies. Eg. Tears of the sun, the Sahara, George of the jungle etc... What pains me the most is that, you guys always watch such movies and praise them not realizing their main aim; which is to ridicule Africans in the eyes of fellow Americans and the world.
I actually saw a comment of a white man on a documentary about nollywood on youtube which says

EXCUSE ME??

Coming from an Industry that released £150m, Sharon Stone of Abuja, Blackberry babes, Jenifa, Cassanova etc. tell me what are those movies portraying.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 10:08am On Aug 08, 2012
speedyboi:
actually, there is zero difference between the two as of now. Its not like Hollywood, there is no street or district named Nollywood in nigeria for film productions. Infact, except for some notable independent studios such as Golden effects pictures, Mainframe, Royal Art Academy, Olasco etc, all other films are produced by street hustlers. NOLLYWOOD IS JUST A COLLOQUIAL SYNONYM TO THE NIGERIAN MOVIE INDUSTRY!. If you doubt me check it up. Except you mean something else by saying 'nigerian' Tell me incase .

Duh, just to state the bleeding obvious, is anyone here assuming that there is a street called Nollywood? There is a huge difference. Not every film shot in Nigeria or by Nigerians is a 'Nollywood' film. Nigerians are shooting films all over the world; that doesn't make them Nollywood just as not every film shot in the US is a Hollywood film but even you should know that.
However, based on your argument you call Half Of A Yellow Sun a Nollywood film... Fair enough that is your opinion and others are entitled to theirs!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by Nollywoodlove(f): 12:18am On Aug 09, 2012
Speedy speedy, I have been silently waiting for your post. Are u as cute as ur posts? becos I wan toast you grin..hope u go gree.
But on a serious note, you don get my respect on nairaland cos I like the way you always analyze yourself.
Speedyboi: @nollywoodlove, for the records promoters have nothing to do with copyright ownership except promoting is just part of their job.
villageboi: However, the 'promoters & firms' have absolutely nothing to do with the copyright! (I must immediately mention I'm not sure what you mean by 'promoters' though.
I actually don't know anything about movie production and I'm not interested in investing cos I don't have (surplus)money. So ignore my terms; embrace the points wink

speedyboi: @nollywoodlove, åre you an ardent fan of Nollywood or whatsup with your username? Lol
Lols I'm not a lover of movies...I'd rather listen to music. Ask me why and ill tell you. Lol

@my username, I was just trying to be proud of my country's movie industry lol...that's all, I'm not a fan.
And me too will like to ask how you always write very long story, u nor dey tire grin
@sisi kill, why do you have to wait for someone else to confront you before you answer a simple question speedyboi asked you to answer all this while? Very typical of nigerians. Mtcheww. Meanwhile, no matter how you twist your posts it won't change all what you were saying on your previous posts. wink. I'm not insinuating anything sha ooo
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by Nobody: 1:20am On Aug 09, 2012
VillageBoi:

Duh, just to state the bleeding obvious, is anyone here assuming that there is a street called Nollywood? There is a huge difference. Not every film shot in Nigeria or by Nigerians is a 'Nollywood' film. Nigerians are shooting films all over the world; that doesn't make them Nollywood just as not every film shot in the US is a Hollywood film but even you should know that.
However, based on your argument you call Half Of A Yellow Sun a Nollywood film... Fair enough that is your opinion and others are entitled to theirs!
Oooh....and he went astray and missed the point. Was my comprehension too complex? But I tried to be simple as I can nau.
Okay lemme break it down. First tell me your own definition of 'nigerian movie'...maybe we can start from there.
REPHRASING THE QUOTED PART since you missed it:The short form of that post is; there is a difference between Hollywood movie and American movie. But there is no difference between Nollywood movie and nigerian movie. I just had to say it cos you claimed in one of your post that it is a nigerian movie but not a Nollywood movie. So the post is to draw your attention to your own statement and not to affirm my stance that 'full of a Red sun 'is a Nollywood movie. I already said I'm done with that topic. whether na kenyawood or chollywood....*none of my biz* the argument is infact silly.
But note that I already said you should gimme your own definition of 'nigerian' smiley
I must admit that your posts on nl are always responsibly made up and worth replying wink
Nollywoodlove: Speedy speedy, I have been silently waiting for your post. Are u as cute as ur posts? becos I wan toast you grin..hope u go gree.
But on a serious note, you don get my respect on nairaland cos I like the way you always analyze yourself.
my girl broke up with me, I will be happy to have you as my new love grin. I'm very caring .
Thanks for the complement.

I actually don't know anything about movie production and I'm not interested in investing cos I don't have (surplus)money. So ignore my terms; embrace the points wink
Actually, you don't have to be a millionaire to invest in a movie. What is most important is shine your eyes and approach renowned film makers. Orelse, you will find yourself in the hands of 419ers. Lol. You can invest as low as you can think of in a movie;you must however know that the more you put in, the more the mouth you have on how the production is done and your profit from it. However, if the movie fails, you might not even get your complete money back talkless of profit. Film business is quite complicated.
*ah! Sorry, I don turn to an advice giver instead of posting, sorry*

Lols I'm not a lover of movies...I'd rather listen to music. Ask me why and ill tell you.
Why?
and me too will like to ask how you always write very long story, u nor dey tire grin
Lol....most times when I visit nl, its on my laptop. So I just continue to type and type without realising that I have gone a long way. Even when I submit, its just few lines. But when I login with my Phone. Damn, then I realise how long it looks. But I'm trying to check it though wink
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by Nobody: 1:54am On Aug 09, 2012
omar22:

EXCUSE ME??

Coming from an Industry that released £150m, Sharon Stone of Abuja, Blackberry babes, Jenifa, Cassanova etc. tell me what are those movies portraying.
@the bolded. I see nothing wrong with the movie jenifa. It is meant to be a funny movie in an indigenous language, and it achieved that aim. There nothing crappy about the production at all.
@the rest, I haven't watched them and I will not cos they are not Nollywood movies but hustler movies. Why? Cos they didn't premiere at the cinemas, so I can't regard them as a movie. If you check my former posts, you Will understand my point. I don't even spend my money on them.
Such movies are not included in any awards (aama etc) cos they are not recognized. So I hope you know the difference now
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by SisiKill1: 3:02am On Aug 09, 2012
Rotflmooooo!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Oy Veh!!

Funny People abound playing tag team posting. cheesy cheesy cheesy

@ Nollywoodlover (Should I even be wasting my time with you considering who. . .what you are? undecided)
I don't believe in spoonfeeding adults, if Speedyboi didn't have enough sense to do his research, why do I have to be burdened with that? cheesy cheesy

@Speedyboi
There is no street called Nollywood?!! Are you serious??!! shocked shocked

Whoa! I did not know that!

Yikes, I'm gonna have to rethink everything I thought I knew about Naija filmaking. lipsrsealed

So tell me again. . .How is Half of a Yellow Sun a Nollywood Movie.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 by SisiKill1: 3:21am On Aug 09, 2012

Oh yeah and being portrayed as voodoo loving, juju using, witchcraft believing, bad English speaking, blackberry loving, desperate men seeking, money hungry to the point of killing your own child, materialistic ignorant people is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better. cheesy cheesy

Okay, seriously. . .Why am I even responding to you ??!!

I'll say this though. . .for someone who knows NOTHING you are pretty good at prolonging a discussion.

Ah, well at least you have something going for you. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

BBNaija: MC Galaxy Donates N300,000 To Nina's Fans To Vote For Her (Photo) / 5 Ways To Know Its A Nollywood Movie Without Seeing The TV Screen / Did Dstv Eventually Increase Their Subscription Prices?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.