Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US (13726 Views)

Amaechi At Flag Off Of The Port-Harcourt To Aba Mass Transit Line -photos / Amaechi Approves Commencement Of Port Harcourt-Aba Mass Transit Train Service / President Jonathan Inspected The Abuja Rail Mass Transit Line (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by OAM4J: 3:40am On Jul 10, 2012
Lagos mass transit model good for Africa – US

Lagos State government public transportation policy has attracted the attention and admiration of the American government as the United States Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood describes it as “the first bus system in sub-Saharan Africa that allows passengers to avoid traffic congestion,” Empowered Newswire reports.

Speaking at the just concluded African Growth Opportunity Act, AGOA conference in Washington DC, which ended over the weekend, the US Secretary recommended partnerships between governments and private companies to build large-scale transportation projects in Africa.

According to LaHood, “the rapid bus system in Lagos, Nigeria,” is the first bus system in sub-Saharan Africa that allows passengers to avoid traffic congestion.

He told delegates drawn from across the continent attending the yearly AGOA conference that the Lagos State government financed the infrastructure costs, such as road construction, while the private sector financed the buses, bus depots and maintenance facilities.

In addition, LaHood noted that “the project created 2,000 direct jobs and moved more than 170 million people in its first three years of operation and called it a model for other African countries.

“Successes such as these set an example of how you build a 21st-century transportation network at home,” LaHood said.

He said the United States had the same goals as African countries: “grow our economies and expand trade.”

But he said, “Governments can only do so much. We also need strong commercial partners to collaborate with us on major projects.”

http://www.punchng.com/business/transport/lagos-mass-transit-model-good-for-africa-us/
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 3:46am On Jul 10, 2012
And I am guessing there are no US sources one can go to, to verify the claim that Ray Lahood commended Lagos transportation model, right? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by EkoIle1: 4:00am On Jul 10, 2012
Kobojunkie: And I am guessing there are no US sources one can go to, to verify the claim that Ray Lahood commended Lagos transportation model, right? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

And this is causing you so much pain and sadness? Talk about the sad and sorrowful world of sadists.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Nobody: 4:13am On Jul 10, 2012
In as much as I detest looking to the West for validation (what's good is good irrespective of the source), I rate the performance of Fasola as excellent. He is a good administrator and equally good at managing the unquenchable appetite of political jobbers hanging on his neck. He is one of the reasons why all hope is not yet lost for Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 4:42am On Jul 10, 2012
hm . . I wonder how many laptops Lagos Government has. I mean we only recently learned how many are in Goodluck Jonathan's command room, but how many does Fashola have?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by naptu2: 5:12am On Jul 10, 2012
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by naptu2: 5:22am On Jul 10, 2012
[size=14pt]Public-Private Partnerships Needed for African Infrastructure[/size]

By Phillip Kurata | Staff Writer | 18 June 2012

Washington — U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood has recommended partnerships between governments and private companies to build large-scale transportation projects in Africa.

“Governments can only do so much. We also need strong commercial partners to collaborate with us on major projects,” LaHood said at the U.S.-Sub-Saharan Africa Trade and Economic Cooperation Forum, known as the AGOA Forum, in Washington June 14.

He cited two success stories that he said can serve as models for African countries.

In South Africa, the government worked with private companies to build the first high-speed rail service, the Gautrain, which connects Pretoria, the capital, with Johannesburg, the economic center of the country. The final section of the train service spanning the 80 kilometers between the two cities opened June 7. The Gautrain is expected to carry 100,000 passengers a day.

LaHood also mentioned the rapid bus system in Lagos, Nigeria, which he said is the first bus system in sub-Saharan Africa that allows passengers to avoid traffic congestion. The secretary said the Nigerian government financed the infrastructure costs, such as road construction, while the private sector financed the buses, bus depots and maintenance facilities. The project created 2,000 direct jobs and moved more than 170 million people in its first three years of operation.

“Successes such as these set an example of how you build a 21st-century transportation network at home,” LaHood said.

He said the United States has the same goals as African countries: “grow our economies and expand trade.”

Assistant Transportation Secretary Susan Kurland said a number of U.S. federal agencies work in African countries to help them improve their transportation systems: the Federal Highway Administration, the U.S. Maritime Administration and the Federal Aviation Administration. These agencies work not only with individual governments but also with regional groups; transportation safety is the main concern.

“When we provide technical assistance and grants, one of our main aims is to help other countries improve compliance with international standards for safety and security,” she said.

For investments in transportation infrastructure to pay off, the governments involved must be committed to maintaining the infrastructure after it is completed. “One of the most important lessons learned is that commitment from the highest levels of government is critical for achieving success,” Kurland said.

The director-general of the ministry of tourism, industry and energy in Cape Verde, Antonio Baptista, said his country’s participation in the Safe Skies for Africa program has had a big, positive impact on Cape Verde’s trade and tourism. He said after Cape Verde met safety standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organization, people felt safe to travel there, bringing in more tourists and business travelers.

Leocadia Zak, director of the U.S. Trade and Development Agency, described her agency’s work in conducting feasibility studies and introducing governments to private-sector companies to build integrated transportation systems involving road, rail, sea and air links.

Rwanda’s minister of trade and industry, François Kanimba, said Africa is the most fragmented continent in the world, with many landlocked countries burdened with huge expenses in getting their products to overseas markets. He said in Rwanda, for example, it costs about $3,000 to transport one shipping container to the port of Mombasa, Kenya, on the Indian Ocean. The cost for Rwanda is significantly higher than for countries with coastlines, Kanimba said. He called for an international initiative to help Africa build its transportation infrastructure, similar to the effort made to rebuild Europe after World War II.

This site is managed by the U.S. Department of State. External links to other Internet sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views or privacy policies contained therein.⁠

http://iipdigital.usembassy.gov/st/english/article/2012/06/201206187639.html#axzz20BnySNVK
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Nobody: 5:42am On Jul 10, 2012
naptu2: [size=14pt]Public-Private Partnerships Needed for African Infrastructure[/size]

By Phillip Kurata | Staff Writer | 18 June 2012

Washington — U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood has recommended partnerships between governments and private companies to build large-scale transportation projects in Africa.

He cited two success stories that he said can serve as models for African countries.

LaHood also mentioned the rapid bus system in Lagos, Nigeria, which he said is the first bus system in sub-Saharan Africa that allows passengers to avoid traffic congestion. The secretary said the Nigerian government financed the infrastructure costs, such as road construction, while the private sector financed the buses, bus depots and maintenance facilities. The project created 2,000 direct jobs and moved more than 170 million people in its first three years of operation.

The sadist crying sinking bitchy Mamas who lack the rudimentary anatomy of constructive criticism would label this laptop 001 for Fasola.

The validation of the West is not needed. We can recognize good job in our vicinity without a vain approval from Washington. We are not blinded to the extent of not seeing good governance by unachievable expectations of impractical idealism. A great part of citizens' contributions to governance is to commend every good actions, steps and programs of government just as we are equally bound to condemn every despicable policies emanating from any government.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by ektbear: 5:55am On Jul 10, 2012
"moved more than 170 million people in its first three years of operation"

sounds like a win to me
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by OAM4J: 5:57am On Jul 10, 2012
I wont mind to be one of Fashola's 'laptop members', it will be the easiest job for me to do compare to selling GEJ. A good product need no hard sale.

Eko o ni baje lailai.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by ektbear: 6:05am On Jul 10, 2012
^-- Heh. Well said.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by redsun(m): 6:34am On Jul 10, 2012
OAM4J: I wont mind to be one of Fashola's 'laptop members', it will be the easiest job for me to do compare to selling GEJ. A good product need no hard sale.

Eko o ni baje lailai.

How on earth can a bigoted minded person like u become a moderator in a suppose impatial and progressive forum? No wonder this place has turn to miniature nigeria,a place where intolerance and primitive tribal sentiment thrive over reasoning and collective progress.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by ektbear: 6:48am On Jul 10, 2012
redsun:

How on earth can a bigoted minded person like u become a moderator in a suppose impatial and progressive forum? No wonder this place has turn to miniature nigeria,a place where intolerance and primitive tribal sentiment thrive over reasoning and collective progress.

What was bigoted about his post?

And what do you think of the actual topic?
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by naptu2: 6:50am On Jul 10, 2012
redsun:

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Omexonomy: 7:41am On Jul 10, 2012
Kobojunkie: hm . . I wonder how many laptops Lagos Government has. I mean we only recently learned how many are in Goodluck Jonathan's command room, but how many does Fashola have?
since thier are 30 laptops in abuja then thier might be 15 in lagos
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by abes(m): 8:02am On Jul 10, 2012
Kobojunkie: hm . . I wonder how many laptops Lagos Government has. I mean we only recently learned how many are in Goodluck Jonathan's command room, but how many does Fashola have?

Fashola would rather get some cameras and not laptops. Pictures do the talking in Fashola's case, not like 'has signed', 'will do', 'has ordered', 'is on top' comment that we normally hear from GEJ's camp.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by ektbear: 8:07am On Jul 10, 2012
redsun: I await your response to the original topic.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by redsun(m): 8:11am On Jul 10, 2012
ekt_bear:

What was bigoted about his post?

And what do you think of the actual topic?

That guy is a moderator he should stay neutral.

I think fashola is the best among the gang of thieves(nigerian politicians),he tend to make some positive and constructive moves that is expected of 21st century rational man,but not without serious magomago with the likes of underworld kingpins like tinubu. He is the only guy among the nigerian politicians that seems to have one eye and that is not enough to lead children with two eyes.

We dont need public servants that are half good but public servants that are accountably doing the jobs that they are elected and paid to do.

No kobo is too small to be unaccounted for. Because the resources of the state belongs to the people.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by hack3i: 8:32am On Jul 10, 2012
Nyc
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by dabrake(m): 8:34am On Jul 10, 2012
naptu2: Source: US State Department http://iipdigital.usembassy.gov/st/english/article/2012/06/201206187639.html#axzz20BnySNVK
kobo is speechless. according to her, nothing is good about fashola.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Nobody: 8:39am On Jul 10, 2012
redsun:
That guy is a moderator he should stay neutral.

I think fashola is the best among the gang of thieves(nigerian politicians),he tend to make some positive and constructive moves that is expected of 21st century rational man,but not without serious magomago with the likes of underworld kingpins like tinubu. He is the only guy among the nigerian politicians that seems to have one eye and that is not enough to lead children with two eyes.

We dont need public servants that are half good but public servants that are accountably doing the jobs that they are elected and paid to do.

No kobo is too small to be unaccounted for. Because the resources of the state belongs to the people.

Nigerians, eh! We are the only people in the world who'd knowingly cut our noses to spite our faces and a Nigerian's opinion is never wrong.

While I am not Tinubu's fan, I continue to marvel at how Fashola manages his godfather such that he's still able to provide some dividends of democracy to Lagosians, having said that, BRT is Tinubu's brainchild!
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Nobody: 8:44am On Jul 10, 2012
The USA already has this system already, in fact Cleveland,ohio has it. They called the health line buses i think they were named that becus of the hospital on the main street in which the bus runs. pictures attached

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by chucky234(m): 8:50am On Jul 10, 2012
I'm lost here,what transit is that Lahood refering to? Hope he is not talking of BRT oooo
Why would any sane man refers to BRT as effective transit system,used to board BRT to CMS daily and had to stop because the experience was hell. The heat in those buses is close to bread baking oven and you spend longer time on the road as they can suave traffic like those Danfo buses, I rather drive in my car and face the hold ups than board those BRT buses.

My opinion sha,everyone to his
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by honeric01(m): 8:54am On Jul 10, 2012
Nice..

Chai, KOBO went MUTE as soon as her western validation was provided. CHAI.. at least say something positive about the article now that oyinbo your oga has validated what your fellow blacks did.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by ektbear: 8:58am On Jul 10, 2012
I don't think being a moderator means you are not allowed to have opinions again.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Walphem(m): 9:04am On Jul 10, 2012
Mayb am one of the Laptops.am his No1 fan,so call me d no1 Laptop
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by naptu2: 9:05am On Jul 10, 2012
As I said on the 3rd Mainland Bridge thread, the solution to the transport problems in Lagos is a multi-modal transport system, with a mix of private-public effort.

We need the rail system (LRT, with government providing the rail infrastructure and private sector providing the running stock)

BRT (with government providing the lanes and bus stops, while the private sector provides the buses)

Waterway (with government providing the jetties, while the private sector provides the ferries)

And the taxis, danfo and molue, in order to prevent the kind of gridlock caused by the closue of 3rd Mainland Bridge.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by AjanleKoko: 9:16am On Jul 10, 2012
BRT is not bad, by African standards. It's not perfect, but it's a start. Remember it is just five years old, and it is serving a state with 25 million inhabitants.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by redsun(m): 9:20am On Jul 10, 2012
naijababe:

Nigerians, eh! We are the only people in the world who'd knowingly cut our noses to spite our faces and a Nigerian's opinion is never wrong.

While I am not Tinubu's fan, I continue to marvel at how Fashola manages his godfather such that he's still able to provide some dividends of democracy to Lagosians.

He manages to get away with a lot because typical nigerians never think of themselves of doing or deserving anything right. To typical beclouded nigerians, a politician that manages to steal seventy percent of the public funds and using the meagre left over thirthy percent for white wash services,is jesus back to life. Because they have never had it better. Nigerians are people born into a world of impossibilities where even keeping the streets clean and tidy can be seen as rocket science.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Eifeh(m): 9:25am On Jul 10, 2012
Please has university of ibadan done their post utme examination?
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 10, 2012
redsun:

He manages to get away with a lot because typical nigerians never think of themselves of doing or deserving anything right. To typical beclouded nigerians, a politician that manages to steal seventy percent of the public funds and using the meagre left over thirthy percent for white wash services,is jesus back to life. Because they have never had it better. Nigerians are people born into a world of impossibilities where even keeping the streets clean and tidy can be seen as rocket science.

Haba!!! Commmon now, white wash services ke?!
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by naptu2: 9:36am On Jul 10, 2012
Examples (multi-modal transport)

1) BRT

2)LRT

3) Ferry services

4) Taxi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

NASS Leadership: Again, Orji Kalu Cautions APC Leadership / Dogara To Tinubu: Don't Be A Mourner-in-chief, Stop The Killings Now / Boko Haram Denies Involvement In Kano Mosque Bombing Plot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.