Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US (13735 Views)

Amaechi At Flag Off Of The Port-Harcourt To Aba Mass Transit Line -photos / Amaechi Approves Commencement Of Port Harcourt-Aba Mass Transit Train Service / President Jonathan Inspected The Abuja Rail Mass Transit Line (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by naptu2: 9:39am On Jul 10, 2012
Contd

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by redsun(m): 9:53am On Jul 10, 2012
naijababe:

Haba!!! Commmon now, white wash services ke?!

Like i said earliar on,fashola is relatively the best among nigerian politicians,but if they give u a detailed account of how much of the public funds that went with the wind undertaking those projects,u will want him hanged if trully u are genuinely rational.

Those guys get away with mass murder because nobody ever bothers to make them give detail accounts of how theo use the tax payers monies.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by naptu2: 10:01am On Jul 10, 2012
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by AjanleKoko: 10:57am On Jul 10, 2012
redsun:

He manages to get away with a lot because typical nigerians never think of themselves of doing or deserving anything right. To typical beclouded nigerians, a politician that manages to steal seventy percent of the public funds and using the meagre left over thirthy percent for white wash services,is jesus back to life. Because they have never had it better. Nigerians are people born into a world of impossibilities where even keeping the streets clean and tidy can be seen as rocket science.

naijababe:

redsun:

Like i said earliar on,fashola is relatively the best among nigerian politicians,but if they give u a detailed account of how much of the public funds that went with the wind undertaking those projects,u will want him hanged if trully u are genuinely rational.

Those guys get away with mass murder because nobody ever bothers to make them give detail accounts of how theo use the tax payers monies.

I have to say, redsun makes a good point.
However, we don't throw the baby out with the bath water. The onus is on Fashola to first deliver, while we work on the process of accountability. Not perfect, but that's the Nigerian reality.

We are coming from an era where people steal and do nothing. Now, people are still stealing, but now doing something. We have to consistently increase the pressure, and engage with more intelligence. What Nigerians do mostly is complain. Imagine that the Lekki Concession toll was signed as far back in 2001, and nobody in that area said anything! All of a sudden people are acting surprised to see toll gates. People need to engage government more intelligently, and learn how to push these people to do what we want them to do. If we are unable to engage government intelligently, it means there is something wrong with us as well.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 10, 2012
AjanleKoko:

However, we don't throw the baby out with the bath water. The onus is on Fashola to first deliver, while we work on the process of accountability. Not perfect, but that's the Nigerian reality.

We are coming from an era where people steal and do nothing. Now, people are still stealing, but now doing something. We have to consistently increase the pressure, and engage with more intelligence. What Nigerians do mostly is complain. Imagine that the Lekki Concession toll was signed as far back in 2001, and nobody in that area said anything! All of a sudden people are acting surprised to see toll gates. People need engage government more intelligently, and learn how to push these people to do what we want them to do.

And he is delivering something isn't he? I don't think complaints and criticisms is going to do much, heck, it's done fuckall. A bit of commendation where appropriate is not much to ask for IMO.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by aljharem(m): 11:47am On Jul 10, 2012
Na wa o !!!!

Supporting Fashola is now considered Bigotry according to redsun ? Indeed stu.pidity has no limit in the human world

More people are leaving Nairaland because of silly statement such as that of redsun. Fact !!!

What has GEJ done for Nigeria, compare to what governors have done.

You travel to Lagos, Cross river etc and feel safe. Why not go back to your state of origin and see why others love their governors.

pure rubbish
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by aljharem(m): 11:50am On Jul 10, 2012
AjanleKoko:

We are coming from an era where people steal and do nothing. Now, people are still stealing, but now doing something. We have to consistently increase the pressure, and engage with more intelligence. What Nigerians do mostly is complain. Imagine that the Lekki Concession toll was signed as far back in 2001, and nobody in that area said anything! All of a sudden people are acting surprised to see toll gates. People need to engage government more intelligently, and learn how to push these people to do what we want them to do. If we are unable to engage government intelligently, it means there is something wrong with us as well.

No way egbon, we are meant to be encouraging good governors not trying to discourage them.

Ok Yes Fashola is corrupt, is it Obama that is not corrupt ? or Cameroun ?

So long as you put the people first in your government, I would think it is an encouraging propect and should not in any form be discouraged
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by AjanleKoko: 11:52am On Jul 10, 2012
naijababe:

And he is delivering something isn't he? I don't think complaints and criticisms is going to do much, heck, it's done fuckall. A bit of commendation where appropriate is not much to ask for IMO.

Considering where we're coming from, he's doing a lot. Besides, we voted him in, so we need to support and engage him. Not support him like morons of course, but engage him on all the projects he's doing. He's shown willingness to hear from people, from my experience. Had cause to engage him for one reason or the other, and he comes across as very reasonable. Smart but not arrogant about it, like most Naijas tend to be. He's one of the few government officials I have met, that doesn't have a smug mien.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 10, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Considering where we're coming from, he's doing a lot. Besides, we voted him in, so we need to support and engage him. Not support him like morons of course, but engage him on all the projects he's doing. He's shown willingness to hear from people, from my experience. Had cause to engage him for one reason or the other, and he comes across as very reasonable. Smart but not arrogant about it.

And the bolded bros, is the crux of this discussion.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 10, 2012
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 1:13pm On Jul 10, 2012
naptu2: Source: US State Department http://iipdigital.usembassy.gov/st/english/article/2012/06/201206187639.html#axzz20BnySNVK

Thank you!

I have learned to be cautious of all these stories linking America to Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 1:14pm On Jul 10, 2012
redsun:

I agree with this.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 1:16pm On Jul 10, 2012
abes:

Fashola would rather get some cameras and not laptops. Pictures do the talking in Fashola's case, not like 'has signed', 'will do', 'has ordered', 'is on top' comment that we normally hear from GEJ's camp.

I disagree. He does have, like Goodluck Jonathan, a propaganda machine and known supporters who go around insulting those who even question any of his so-called "Achievements".. Unless you are blind to this, you will admit it is the same thing. Even Orji in Abia State has been working on his own "Laptop" team for sometime now.
I would take a guess and say that Goodluck Jonathan group probably got the idea from the Fashola media machine. grin grin
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 1:18pm On Jul 10, 2012
Omexonomy:
since thier are 30 laptops in abuja then thier might be 15 in lagos

40 in Abuja, they claim. Lagos has probably had it's own team longer though. grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 1:20pm On Jul 10, 2012
dabrake:
kobo is speechless. according to her, nothing is good about fashola.

Na, Kobo is never speechless .. . @KoboJunkie was simply away from machine. grin
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 10, 2012
In the country of the blind, one-eyed man is king.

Nigerians should learn something about quality, advancement, neatness and sophistication.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 1:21pm On Jul 10, 2012
chucky234: I'm lost here,what transit is that Lahood refering to? Hope he is not talking of BRT oooo
Why would any sane man refers to BRT as effective transit system,used to board BRT to CMS daily and had to stop because the experience was hell. The heat in those buses is close to bread baking oven and you spend longer time on the road as they can suave traffic like those Danfo buses, I rather drive in my car and face the hold ups than board those BRT buses.

My opinion sha,everyone to his

This is your answer

AjanleKoko: BRT is not bad, by African standards. It's not perfect, but it's a start. Remember it is just five years old, and it is serving a state with 25 million inhabitants.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by naptu2: 1:21pm On Jul 10, 2012
Obanikoro Bus Stop on Ikorodu Road.

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by gidiMonsta(m): 1:22pm On Jul 10, 2012
redsun:

How on earth can a bigoted minded person like u become a moderator in a suppose impatial and progressive forum? No wonder this place has turn to miniature nigeria,a place where intolerance and primitive tribal sentiment thrive over reasoning and collective progress.

So criticizing a fumbling govt. and singing praises of a hard working governor is bigotry? Grow up dude.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 1:22pm On Jul 10, 2012
naijababe:

But he is right . .. . if you consider the standards we work with in Africa.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by mikeapollo: 1:26pm On Jul 10, 2012
Algeria, and some north African countries are already launched and operating undeground(tube) train network!
So what is the big deal/noise over a project that has not been completed or operational. We just make noise over every mediocrity!.

A diplomat comes and makes a diplomatic statement and we go about making noise out of it. Most diplomats would not openly criticise a host nation. With all our problems, have you heard any diplomat criticise the govt for lack of power, water, unemployment, insecurity etc?

Wise up and read between the lines, my people!
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jul 10, 2012
www.nairaland.com/attachments/751169_Obanikoro20Bus20Stop_jpg058e8e8bd786d6a3cf3f3b83c4514afa

Take a closer look at the extreme top right-hand corner of the image where there are people walking on the poor pavement. Jeez! Nigerians are good with incomplete work. It is annoying though!
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 1:29pm On Jul 10, 2012
gidiMonsta:

So criticizing a fumbling govt. and singing praises of a hard working governor is bigotry? Grow up dude.

No, that is not what he is saying.

Take a lesson from Americans. Many of those who LOVE OBAMA, and already plan to vote him back in office in November, readily admit that he is doing good but there is still a whole lot of improvement needed, and a lot of misses too. And they can go at length with you on these. This is why I admire a lot of them.
Even the celebrities(I know we like to think that many of them are out of the touch when it comes to the concerns of the average man), they are educated on the issues enough to give you details on what Obama has done wrong, and what is he still doing wrong and where he needs to change but at the end of the day, they are still wearing there "Vote Obama" teeshirts. And this applies to the ordinary Americans out there too. They criticize even those they support, OPENLY too, and would readily jump boats if their choice decides to take them, or Americans, for granted. They are not puppets. They are intelligent beings who are do not have their tongues stuck to the arse of politicians.

These are the kind of people Nigeria needs. We don't need puppets for the Politicians or arse-lickers. We need real Nigerians, not afraid to criticize even when they choose to stand.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by AjanleKoko: 1:31pm On Jul 10, 2012
naijababe:

And the bolded bros, is the crux of this discussion.

Not exactly. That's why I said redsun has a point. We can't continue to celebrate mediocrity. However, when someone like Fashola shows some level of initiative, we need to support him by engaging him constructively. That also includes criticism.

The kind of shameless 'support' that we do in Nigeria isn't constructive, it's all about rankadede. Unfortunately very few of us have good ideas about what we want our society to be. People should not be entirely subject to Fashola's ideas simply because he is 'doing something'. That is my view. All governments have to be challenged.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by naptu2: 1:47pm On Jul 10, 2012
Marina

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by naptu2: 1:49pm On Jul 10, 2012
3rd Mainland Bridge

On 3rd Mainland Bridge the BRT lane is not physically segregated. However, Lagbuses have priority use of the lane on the extreme left.

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 1:51pm On Jul 10, 2012
^^^ Quick question. What of pictures of places like Ikorodu, Imota, Agbowa, Idumota, Ejinrin, Egan, Bamgbose, Okun Ibeju, Owode Onirin, etc. What about pictures of these roads and systems in those place?? Can we get those too? I mean in the past 5 years, we have basically been getting pictures of the same handful of places. What of other parts of Lagos-- the lesser known parts?
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Demdem(m): 1:54pm On Jul 10, 2012
ekt_bear: "moved more than 170 million people in its first three years of operation"

sounds like a win to me

i wonder how many the subsidy buses has moved so far undecided undecided
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by naptu2: 1:54pm On Jul 10, 2012
Last.

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by naptu2: 1:57pm On Jul 10, 2012
@ other places, eg, Agege Motor Road, Ikorodu Road, Western Avenue, etc, the lanes are physically segregated.

Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Kobojunkie: 1:59pm On Jul 10, 2012
naptu2: @ other places, eg, Agege Motor Road, Ikorodu Road, Western Avenue, etc, the lanes are physically segregated.

The roads are physically segregated? I don't know what that means. I am just curious as to why the main pictures keep coming from the areas we are already used to but none of them happen to show pictures of places many of us are more acquainted with.
Re: Lagos Mass Transit Model Good For Africa – US by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 10, 2012
A single look at the last photo posted by naptu2 makes me wanna puke.

I s there no modern part in any Nigerian city? What's going on with the leaders?!

BRT in Curitiba, in a third world country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Police Withdraw Suit Against EndSARS Probe Panels / Nigerian Arrested For Trafficking 117g Of Cocaine In Adheri, India / NRM Gubernatorial Candidate In Adamawa, Aliyu Maina Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.