Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture (31994 Views)

Diary Of An Ibadan Hustler In Lagos / Which Of These European Countries Is Good To Live In As Hustler/jjc / Null (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Godogwu: 7:49pm On Jul 19, 2012
ebogentle: Different strokes for different folks.
Cost of living is low in Nigeria and high in UK. True
Standard of living is low in Nigeria and high in UK.
I hope the distinction can be made between "cost of living" and "standard of living"
Ok So u earn 1 million naira monthly in Nigeria.
1. SECURITY:You have to provide your own security. You probably live in a heavily secured estate or have a very high fence with barbed wire around your house.
2. POWER: You provide your own electricity. In addition to regularly paying heavily for fuel to guarantee your 24-7 power, you also have to live with the noise of the generator.
3. WATER: You have to provide your own water. Probably dig a borehole and mount a pump. Even then, you most likely will only use that for household stuff. You would buy bottled water for you and your family to drink.
4. BASIC EDUCATION: If you want an even average education for your kids, then you have to consider private schools only. And they dont come cheap at all.
5. TRANSPORTATION: Yeah you drive a car. The driving experience is not necessarily something you look forward to. And that includes even when you have got your own chauffeur. Pot holes, bumps, rugged terrain, totally pointless and needless hold-ups. And if you prefer to go for commercial transport, prepare for even more drama.

Now lets see the guy who is earning far far less than you in the UK. In fact lets go minimum wage outside london. So he earns roughly 1000 pounds a month. OK maybe he does not own his own flat and so he shares with someone else. Big deal.

1. SECURITY: As a matter of fact he could live anywhere he (most neighborhoods) without worry. he could be on the street at any time of the night. He could even leave his door open (by mistake) and there's little chance of him being mugged or robbed. No need for fencing and barbed wires. No need for a gate minder.

2. POWER: So his bill 100 pounds monthly. or 50 pounds if he shares it. But he does not have to worry about any ambient noise simply because he needs electric power. Also he does not need to anticipate the absence of that power. Except he hasnt been paying his bills.

3: WATER: All he has to do is turn on the tap. Hot or cold all he has to do is wait a few seconds.And it's drinkable too. ofcourse its not free. he has to pay for it. But he does not need a borehole and a pump or the need to purify his own water for drinking.

4. BASIC EDUCATION: Does not cost him a penny. His children go to a government school. Education is definitely not below average even by Nigerian private school standard.

5: TRANSPORTATION: If he does not own a car, he does not miss out on anything. Not even self esteem. There is a functional public transport system including subways/undergrounds, trams/metros, buses/coaches, etc. If he drives, he could do so even in midnight without worry of pot holes. Ok maybe some speed bumps but they are there for his and others' safety. If he encounters a hold-up, its a necessity and it will get cleared up as soon as practicable. ofcourse he has to worry about road tax, car insurance, annual MOT test and stuff.

This is not an exhaustive comparison, and this not an attempt at bashing Nigeria or playing up UK (though it would appear so). This is just an attempt to insert intangibles and make the point that sometimes they are not quantifiable. Some people may only care about cost of living and thats fine. However, others may be more concerned with standard of living. The irony is that you could earn (Nigeria)5 times what you earn in UK and yet your standard of living (based on some of the intangibles i mentioned) will still not be comparable to that in UK.

I know a certain fellow who as an undergrad in Nigeria, worked as a labourer in the local construction industry during the regular ASUU strikes. Although he went to a remote area where no one knew him in order to do that.I can understand why he went far away for that. Our society prioritizes the wrong things. We tend to denigrate and disrespect people in menial jobs. We dont appreciate the dignity in labour. How can being in a part-time job while studying be a bad thing. Or a thing not to be proud of. I dont get it. We need re-orientation.Our value system is weird.

Ok. To some extent I would agree with your post but a person earning N1m monthly wouldn't and shouldn't leave Nigeria for anything in the UK. Even for the same salary.
A million a month, thats 12 million in a year.
If he splits his salary into half, that 500k.he saves 500k and uses 500k for every thing concerning the house for the month.
In a year he is able to save 6 million, he sends his child to brookstone ( 1 million annually), he has 5m left.
He buys a nice sedan with 2.5 million, he has 2.5m left ....he rents a 3 bedroom house in lekki for 1.5m, he has a million left for all miscelliomous expenses.
Mind you it's really hard to use up the 500k from his salary that easily except he's pretty extravagant and not frugal with money,

So there you have it, I rather earn that N1m a month than earn 8,000 pounds monthly in the UK. Nevertheless, i am entitled to my own opinion .
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Godogwu: 7:55pm On Jul 19, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I do agree with you that some of the people abroad give false info to people in Nigeria and that makes some people with great jobs to quit and come and slave in western world, however, a cup of water with peace of mind is better than pounded yam with Ogbono while a gun is point at your head . . the important thing is what can we do to make Nigeria a better place to be, cos no matter where you and i are, Nigeria will forever be home.

Swear down bro, you are one of the very few on this forum with insightful thoughts. We should learn to stop criticizing Nigeria because we all know her problems. What we should aim at Is finding ways to make the country a better place than what it already is. Nigeria has a great future and like I always say, Rome wasn't built in a day and therefore we will get there someday.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Concept(m): 8:13pm On Jul 19, 2012
Heavens help those who help themselves, doing menial job in a foreign land is not a bad idea but is there any plan B for you. We have heard of Dele Giwa, the GLO CEO drove Taxi in America still they came back to Nigeria & became great, abroad is not like Nigeria if you have some money & you are interested in business my man it is done. Please this is based on individual & what they place value on. It is possible to do menial jobs and later be employer of labour. There is dignity in labour. All you need to do is to work harder on yourself than you do on your job.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by 10over101: 8:14pm On Jul 19, 2012
afam4eva:
I think you're right though but why the abuse. Don't you have home training?
Thanks for correcting him but both of u actually lack public training..it is ok u can always learn though..
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Chinom(m): 8:16pm On Jul 19, 2012
Godogwu:

Ok. To some extent I would agree with your post but a person earning N1m monthly wouldn't and shouldn't leave Nigeria for anything in the UK. Even for the same salary.
If he splits his salary into half, that 500k.he saves 500k and uses 500k for every thing concerning the house for the month.
In a year he is able to save 6 million, he sends his child to brookstone ( 1 million annually), he has 5m left.
He buys a nice sedan with 2.5 million, he has 2.5m left ....he rents a 3 bedroom house in lekki for 1.5m, he has a million left for all miscelliomous expenses.
Mind you it's really hard to use up the 500k from his salary that easily except he's pretty extravagant and not frugal with money,

So there you have it, I rather earn that N1m a month than earn 8,000 pounds monthly in the UK. Nevertheless, i am entitled to my own opinion .

Don't mind the guy. He's exaggerating. Nobody who earns N500k monthly in Nigeria will leave Naija to go and work/live in Europe, not to talk of someone who earns N1m monthly. 90% of the entire work force in Europe and The USA do not earn N1m monthly. It's not just about the money, but also about the dignity of life. In my opinion, a rich Nigeria lives a much more quality life than a rich European. Even the cleaner in London will notice the immediate change in lifestyle as soon as he steps out of MM airport, Lagos. He does not have to carry his luggage anymore by himself.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Olaone1: 8:23pm On Jul 19, 2012
Chinom:

In my opinion, a rich Nigeria lives a much more quality life than a rich European. Even the cleaner in London will notice the immediate change in lifestyle as soon as he steps out of MM airport, Lagos. He does not have to carry his luggage anymore by himself.

Just when you thought you've heard it all undecided
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by MacLovington(m): 8:25pm On Jul 19, 2012
Olalekan 0: cleanres earn £40,000 a year?are you high? Even doctors don't earn that much!

Cleaners don't earn that much but doctors at Registrar level and clinical fellows certainly do. Hardly any consultant gets less than £70-75k now. I know an ENT surgeon on 120k and that's not including his work in a nearby private hospital.

Another Obs/gynae lady gets around 90k for 3 days work/week in a leading teaching hospital. Another top cancer expert works 2 weeks in UK and 2 weeks in US. Total annual income: around 250k.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Olaone1: 8:27pm On Jul 19, 2012
Chinom:

Even the cleaner in London will notice the immediate change in lifestyle as soon as he steps out of MM airport, Lagos. He does not have to carry his luggage anymore by himself.

Nigerians and the so-called bigmanism. Why do people have to carry your luggage for you? Are you a leper? How is this indicative of a good lifestyle? Who will exorcise us of this warped mentality?

Na wa oo undecided undecided
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Olaone1: 8:29pm On Jul 19, 2012
MacLovington: .

Cleaners don't earn that much but doctors at Registrar level and clinical fellows certainly do. Hardly any consultant gets less than £70-75k now. I know an ENT surgeon on 120k and that's not including his work in a nearby private hospital.

Another Obs/gynae lady gets around 90k for 3 days work/week in a leading teaching hospital. Another top cancer expert works 2 weeks in UK and 2 weeks in US. Total annual income: around 250k.
FACT!
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Chinom(m): 8:37pm On Jul 19, 2012
Ola one:

Just when you thought you've heard it all undecided

Yes, you heard right. i stand by that statement 100%. I don't know in which sh*ithole you live in when you are in Nigeria, but having lived in both sides of the world for a long time, i can tell you categorically that a rich Nigerian in Nigeria lives a better life than a rich Nigerian in the west. By rich i'm not even talking about the Dangote, Adenuga level, i'm talking about guys that make an average of N850,000 a month in whatever they're engaged in.
Has it occurred to you that 85% of the people you see inside the plane enroute London do not live there.
They are going on vacation and to shop. The miserable looking 10-15% are those that actually live and work in Europe and USA.

2 Likes

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Chinom(m): 8:47pm On Jul 19, 2012
Ola one:

Nigerians and the so-called bigmanism. Why do people have to carry your luggage for you? Are you a leper? How is this indicative of a good lifestyle? Who will exorcise us of this warped mentality?

Na wa oo undecided undecided

Some people do not carry their luggages in US and Europe either. Don't f00l yourself. In Europe and US,not everyone queues to check in at the counter either. The difference is that over there you have to be Oprah or some big shot for that to happen. In Nigeria, you can get the same treatment with comparatively nothing. Being able to afford a cook, a maid, a gardener and a driver is a GOOD lifestyle. There is no need for moral grandstanding as to why things are like that in Nigeria. It's just the way it is. Period.

1 Like

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Olaone1: 8:49pm On Jul 19, 2012
^^^Ok ooo

Good point
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Olaone1: 8:50pm On Jul 19, 2012
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Olalekan0(m): 9:00pm On Jul 19, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Dont be too sure, how much do you think a part time employee takes home in a month . . . all depends on what kinda job, how many hours and what kinda deduction . . . .
some part-time employees could even go home with as little as $500 a month,but no one's talking about part-time employees. We're talking about ful-time workers and i reiterate that no one earns as little as $800. Moreover,there are food stamps and subsidized housing(the projects)which implies that you don't have to pay for feeding and accomodation.so you're still better off in the US regardless of your financial situation.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by MacLovington(m): 9:07pm On Jul 19, 2012
Well Chinom,

I certainly got the chance to prove myself abroad without having to rely on god-fatherism and family connections. Tribalism blocked every lucrative opening in Naija then, ability was irrelevant.

I got the chance to be trained here abroad by Nobel Prize winners along with some of the very best brains the West have to offer.

Many others who came with very little are also getting the opportunity. Some med schools here in UK are full of Naija diaspora kids. Same with law, engineering etc. Many paying little money or nothing. The Care work/cleaning/security their parents did or do is gradually paying off. While you see Naija cleaners in public places, their children and some others are inside doing great things that Naija would be proud of in the future.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Chinom(m): 9:13pm On Jul 19, 2012
I must add here that It is still better to be poor in Europe/UK/ USA than to be poor in Nigeria. I needed to make that point.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by chucky234(m): 9:13pm On Jul 19, 2012
swiftycool:
Oh u just made my day, very true. Seun where is the "love" button
Thank you oooo, you don't need the love button cos I already know am loved.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by basher(m): 10:00pm On Jul 19, 2012
It's ok for battle hardened nigerians like like you'all to talk about how good it is in Nigeria because you are immune to so much going on. Trust me, if things were that good & so cheap, internationals will be falling over themselves to come and live or retire in Nigeria.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Krucifax(m): 10:28pm On Jul 19, 2012
It's the sad truth that many of us in Europe would do things we wouldn't dream of doing back home,however due to a relatively good economy i personally know men and women who "own" (not rent)more than one property in Europe on the back of the security and cleaner job proceeds. Some of them have also built homes back in Naija.

Another funny thing about say the U.K is pay equalization. I know some bus drivers on £500 a week (without bonus) meanwhile i know some high street Solicitors on £500 a week(on a 40-45 hr work week) after years of study and huge student debt. That's the U.K and life for you.

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Ugoduru(m): 12:07am On Jul 20, 2012
£1= N260, so i don't think you still need any teacher to explain that for you
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by linearity: 12:34am On Jul 20, 2012
afam4eva:
That's Nigerias for you. people do what they can't do in their country in other countries because they see the white man as a superior being.

The reality is Kunle might not be able to get that kind of job in Nigeria, becos employment at that lower strata might be congested by GCE holders or School drop-outs and employers that are looking for stability and want to pay the lowest possible wage in Nigeria, will see Kunle a graduate as a risk, they would not want to take. So if a secondary school drop can do the menial job and you can pay that person a lower salary and that individual is in a better position to appreciate the work and the salary and have a tendency to stay longer...there will be no need to consider Kunle for the position..
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by bugmenot: 1:36am On Jul 20, 2012

The rich live a more lavish lifestyle in Nigeria than in the US - they need not mow their lawns themselves, most are chaffeur driven, and even middleclass families have household help. In the US you have to be super rich to be able to pay for help for any of these things, most rich men even wash their own cars.

Poor people are however better off in the US, there are programs that ensure they get basic necessities - food, shelter, etc at the expense of the rich and middle class. In Naija, you are on your own.

Basically, in Naija there is a huge gap between the rich and the poor, this is not so in the US. The middle class is screwed all over - in the US, they bear most of the tax burden and in Nigeria they suffer and smile - no power, healthcare, etc and they get screwed over by the rich. As for the poor in Naija, na only God dey save us.

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by kobikwelu(m): 1:43am On Jul 20, 2012
it has nothing to do with the slave mentality ooooo......if you have an education and you are smart in the United states...YOU WILL GET A JOB...especially in the STEM(Science, technology, engineering and mathematics) fields. In naija..na by fasting and prayer coupled with deliverance

let me paint a picture for you...

most nigerians secure a 2yr visa and come to the US...after a month, they dissappear from their host school and then start doing menial jobs....do this for a while and in the process snag an 'onyibo' and get a green card.
Now you have a green card but you dont have a degree?? what do you do?? You still end up doing menial jobs.....

i have seen scores of nigerian boys (i am 100% naija mind you grin) who have gone this same route....

and also seen graduates who get employed and their lives never remain the same....

can you imagine a BSC holder on average gets paid 80k monthly in naijathats like approx 700usd !!!>>>>> equivalent to a 20hr part-time custodian in the US who gets paid by the minimum 8usd/hr??

my broda tell me?? you dont need be a rocket scientist to know that the difference is seven-up

and by the way, indians, chinese all do the same menial jobs here before settling down, does it mean that they dont appreciate their country

lets face it, every one wants the best...

if i am being paid 250k monthly in naija, why would i come to study in the US with the hope of a better tommorrow
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by kobikwelu(m): 1:55am On Jul 20, 2012
also, i want to correct certain myths most nigerians have about the US

There is corruption over here!!! believe it or not....the only difference is what level it is found...(in the US, the top is very very very corrupt ..everyday guys aint, but guys at the top)

The level of scam/identity theft is shocking!!! you think naija boys are smart....come here and see how life savings gets wiped out....how do you thing our boys in Nigeria gets credit cards? emails to bomb??

White use drugs wayyyy more that the average black dude(i believe its 80%)white

we think our civil service is useless?? lmaooo..come see their Union infested factories.....these guys make our people back home look like young lads

thing is on comming over here...i was blind but now i see they are pretty much the same as we are, the only difference is the color pigmentation
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by kalufelix(m): 2:08am On Jul 20, 2012
Billyonaire: Dont say that bro. 100k is not worth it for a BSc holder to sweep floor whether home or abroad. There is more to education than money.
like seriously?? So y do i spend so much years in skul? To come out nd parade ma sef?
Ah rememba ma literature teacher used to tel us dis "goin 2 sch. is nat abt moni...bla bla bla"
whether u are an apprentist, u are goin 2 skul or wateva all u ar doin is acquirin knwledge & skils 2 make money.
Simple!

1 Like

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Nobody: 2:10am On Jul 20, 2012
I'm a student in the UK that started cleaning jobs recently. I didn't work for 2 months before I paid £1,000 to my school as part of my tuition. I worked within my 20 hours per week permit and earned 250,000 naira or so depending on what the exchange rate is at the moment. I wouldn't get that much in Nigeria without a BSc.. Even those with a BSc don't earn that much. There's almost something for everyone here. Educated or not. I would say it depends on your level of dedication and how much you want to make it work for you. Menial jobs pay above the minimum wage. Carpenters, drivers, painters earn a little ‎ok. Now, compared to what they would be getting in Nigeria... I would say Nigerians would do these jobs in Nigeria if it paid well..
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by lagcity(m): 4:34am On Jul 20, 2012
Godogwu:

kai! igbo man , i hail ooo. grin grin grin see as d guy just do d whole calculation for him head.

1 Like

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by obo389(m): 4:45am On Jul 20, 2012
knockturnal: dont tink its a matter of viewing the white man as superior. tell me where i can be paid a 100k to sweep the floor in nigeria and i ll gladly aplly with my Bsc.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by obo389(m): 4:50am On Jul 20, 2012
Then tell me were in d advanced country u can be paid a 100k per month for doing a menial job like that sadThen tell me were in d advanced country u can be paid a 100k per month for doing a menial job like that
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by lekkie073(m): 6:51am On Jul 20, 2012
SimonAndal: The money paid to a cleaner in the UK is ten times more than that paid to same job description in Nigeria. Nigeria sucks!
And d cost of rent per month of a room in uk is d same 10times much than naija. Use ur brain...
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by lekkie073(m): 7:03am On Jul 20, 2012
Instead of scheming to travel to uk with a total of say 750k and get there to start menial jobs, i would humbly stay here in naija, register as a principal agent for baba ijebu lotto with 500k, get allocated a minimum of 10 terminals, distribute it to agents, get my 10percent daily takings which is at least 1000naira on a terminal daily. In a month, i'll make 300k. On a biz with initial outlay of 500k? Now, dats amazing!
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by lekkie073(m): 7:09am On Jul 20, 2012
lekkie073: Instead of scheming to travel to uk with a total of say 750k and get there to start menial jobs, i would humbly stay here in naija, register as a principal agent for baba ijebu lotto with 500k, get allocated a minimum of 10 terminals, distribute it to agents, get my 10percent daily takings which is at least 1000naira on a terminal daily. In a month, i'll make 300k. On a biz with initial outlay of 500k? Now, dats amazing!
Plus d fact dat if my ten terminals can add Up to 4million in a year as proceeds to babaijebu's account, i am entitled to 25percent of it....another 1million yearly as a bonus....biz ideas plenty o!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Nairalander Trip To benin Republic Via Idiroko Boarder Ogun State Nigeria / "Young People Who Chartered Plane Chose To Disembark With Ladder"-AeroContractor / Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.