Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,002 members, 7,838,515 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians (4739 Views)

FG Moves To Acquire 10 Per Cent Equity Of INTELS / What Forensic Audit Report Of NNPC Revealed (SUMMARIZED VERSION) / Jonathan Orders Immediate Release Of Report Of Forensic Audit Of NNPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by billante(m): 3:07pm On Jul 20, 2012
Afolabs101:

A company can allocate all or part of their offering to potential investors chosen by them. The bill says NNPC will sell 30% to Nigerians, that may be three Nigerians or three hundred. It is at NNPC's discretion.

You can not call people stupid for being skeptical, we were told of a N2 trillion fraud last year that primarily involves NNPC. Do you think there is suddenly going to be transparency?

Whether they are transparent or not money will be made for investors!! Do you think MTN is transparent? Do you know d under table deal they did to get iran license!! They sold arms to iran...plus bribe they gave! And they still make a lot of money for its investors...So dnt come and preach transparency for me here
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by playboy19(m): 3:08pm On Jul 20, 2012
billante:

Let me ask u a question! So if u are given an opportunity to buy into NNPC u will hesitate about it Pls dnt make me call u dumb!

Please be my guest. Call me anything you like, long as i still have my guap in my pocket. And first let me tell you what i always tell my friends about investment; Not all opportunities are GOLDEN! And to answer your your question. If i'm getting to buy the "Controlling Interest" ofcourse i wont hesitate. If i'm buying in to have an opportunity to sit on the board, sure i will but anything short of that, i wont and please call me dummb, i like it when you do that.
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by billante(m): 3:14pm On Jul 20, 2012
playboy19:

Please be my guest. Call me anything you like, long as i still have my guap in my pocket. And first let me tell what i always tell my friends about investment; Not all opportunities are GOLDEN! And to answer your your question. If i'm getting to buy the "Controlling Interest" ofcourse i wont hesitate. If i'm buying in to have an opportunity to sit on the board, sure i will but anything short of that, i wont and please call me dummb, i like it when you do that.

Lmao! U are very funny...
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by billante(m): 3:19pm On Jul 20, 2012
playboy19:

He prolly must have forgotten that some of us actually work so hard to make our money.

@billant, it is More important to keep what you already have, than making more. One of the easiest things in this our world is loosing your money and going broke. I doubt you have ever experience the sting of PAIN that comes with that.

Dou you think if dangote was doing a bird at hand is worth more than 100 in d bush he will be where he is today!!

Billionairs and succesful companies are risk takers

1 Like

Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by deandavid(m): 4:05pm On Jul 20, 2012
ebamma: another opportunity of looting has been opened for our politicians
what are u guys even talking abt, these politicians, are they not your fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters and indeed nigerians like me and u, u guys will sit wit ur cmputers, typing negatives and do nothing it. Na only negative tins dy una mind abt dis country sef. U c a reasnable idea, u've already use ur mouth to spoil. Make una go die jor. As 4 me, i go buy the share.

1 Like

Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by deandavid(m): 4:17pm On Jul 20, 2012
madjune: 10% to GEJ, 10% to Deziani and 10% to Aruma Oteh, that is, once she resumes. E don finish naa. No be Nigerians buy am?
ignorance is a disease, have u heard that share finish, when they are selling ipo? The process will be transparent,by the grace of God. Those of us who pray and believe in a new nigeria,that is free of corruption,nepotism and negativism , will definitely see it. And those who always use mouth to spoil the development of this country will ..... Pls guys, am a nigerian like u guys,bt i still believe 1 day,we ll live to c our dream nigeria. Let's be positive abeg, no matter what. Hope nd pray 4 beta nigeria.
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by playboy19(m): 4:17pm On Jul 20, 2012
billante:

Dou you think if dangote was doing a bird at hand is worth more than 100 in d bush he will be where he is today!!

Billionairs and succesful companies are risk takers

Sir, do you live in that country, Nigeria? Have you ever invested $10,000 and above in that country? If you answer yes to either of these questions, then you are a risk taker.

In business, it is not just about taking any risk, it is about taking a well calculated risk. I have alot of investment in that country and i spend most of my time in the country. And please, you guys should stop citing Dangote (though, i admire his success) as a good example when talking about risk taking. He had it way easier.

He was handed N500,000 start up fund in the year when a brand new Peugeot 504 was the best in the country and cost N4,000 only. Some people would say "JUST" N500,000 but what they forgot is that, that amount was huge way back then. How many 504 will you buy in N500,000 @ the rate of N4k each, thats like 125 brand new Peugeot 504. So invariably, he had an investment capital that could have started a big Peugeot 504 Dealship that woulda have had not less 150 brand new 504s in show room, so try and picture how big that is. That was what he got as his seed funds. And not to forget the confidence that comes with having a step/father that could come to your rescue if ever you fail.

Now back to the present situation of things, you can't even get Venture capitalists to hear you out this day, lest the banks. Even if you are ever lucky to get a loan from the bank, the interest rate rises at anytime, and there's nothing you can do about it. So taking risk in business in Nigeria is just way difficult than how it is written in different books, you wont understand it until you're really into it.

Now what am i trying to say? Don't ever invest in anything you can't monitor or have a say in. In Wall Street, there is this common saying among the brokers that they will never say to your face; INVESTORS DONT MAKE MONEY, TRADERS Do! So think it 10 times before investing is shiits like NNPC, it may sound good on the surface but deep down, you might be heading for a big doom. How does gold minning sound to you? Great right?...lol Whitaker Wright, sound familiar? I doubt.
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by billante(m): 4:18pm On Jul 20, 2012
deandavid: what are u guys even talking abt, these politicians, are they not your fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters and indeed nigerians like me and u, u guys will sit wit ur cmputers, typing negatives and do nothing it. Na only negative tins dy una mind abt dis country sef. U c a reasnable idea, u've already use ur mouth to spoil. Make una go die jor. As 4 me, i go buy the share.

Dude chill! Easy man! Dnt mind them...if u follow d mouth and rubbish they type here u will end up in a gutter like a drunk man!
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 20, 2012
This is very goodnews, I will use my firm to buy as much share in the national oil and gas as possible, finally, the national cake... this is a win-win situation, finally.... I thank God i am one of the several millions of Nigerians that voted GEJ....[size=18pt]FRESH AIR[/size] !!!
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by alaoeri: 4:25pm On Jul 20, 2012
And who the buyers gonna be, cabals and co as usual that's reminds me of privatisation under OBJ regime.undecided
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by billante(m): 4:25pm On Jul 20, 2012
playboy19:

Sir, do you live in that country, Nigeria? Have you ever invested $10,000 and above in that country? If you answer yes to either of these questions, then you are risk taker.

In business, it is not just about taking any risk, it is about taking a well calculated risk. I have alot of investment in that country and i spend most of my time in the country. And please, you guys should stop citing Dangote (though, i admire his success) as a good example when talking about risk taking. He had it way easier.

He was handed N500,000 start up fund in the year when a brand new Peugeot 504 was the best in the country and cost N4,000 only. Some people would say "JUST" N500,000 but what they forgot is that, that amount was huge way back then. How many 504 will you buy in N500,000 @ the rate of N4k each, thats like 125 brand new Peugeot 504. So invariably, he had an investment capital that could have started a big Peugeot 504 Dealship that woulda have had not less 150 brand new 504s in show room, so try and picture how big that is. That was what he got as his seed funds. And not to forget the confidence that comes with having a step/father that could come to your rescue if ever you fail.

Now back to the present situation of things, you can't even get Venture capitalists to hear you out this day, lest the banks. Even if you are ever lucky to get a loan from the bank, the interest rate rises at anytime, and there's nothing you can do about it. So taking risk in business in Nigeria is just way difficult than how it is written in different books, you wont understand it until you're really into it.

Now what am i trying to say? Don't ever invest in anything you can't monitor or have a say in. In Wall Street, there is this common saying among the brokers that they will never say to your face; INVESTORS DONT MAKE MONEY, TRADERS Do! So think it 10 times before investing is shiits like NNPC, it may sound good on the surface but deep down, you might be heading for a big doom. How does gold minning sound to you? Great right?...lol Whitaker Wright, sound familiar? I doubt.

I don't think apple investors knows about d day to day running of the company! But they smile to bank every year!
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by playboy19(m): 4:52pm On Jul 20, 2012
billante:

I don't think apple investors knows about d day to day running of the company! But they smile to bank every year!

Absolutely right. But that is in the US of A. The probability of that happening in Nigeria is so slim you need microscope to find it. The reason;

1. As reported, 90-95% start ups in Nigerian dont last 10 years

2. The "C" word, sir. Corruption. Try and open a pure water retail store (not manufacturing, just retail) and have someone manage it for you for a year and see if you'd have a balanced sheet.

3. Long term investment is not good for Nigerian youth, reason? The elders leave no space for you. Try buying into Nigerian brewery and see how that goes, even the NNPC we are talking about see how it'll go.

Sir, let's face reality and not some speculations. I'm in no way a pessimist but a realist base on experience. I'm not a failure in any of my businesses, infact, i'm a envy of my peer. But, the earlier we understand how Nigerian setting works and stop comparing our setting with the western world, the better for us all. Nigeria cares more about perception than reality, so you must try and get yourself up first before thinking of trying to dine with the rich. Invest in something within your reach. Get yourself ready for the dinning challenge.

In summary, i believe the NNPC stock wont get to us all, it's strictly for "Them".
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 20, 2012
by Nigerians they mean 'themselves' that can afford it at any exhorbitant amount with stolen public fund yeah?
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by billante(m): 5:48pm On Jul 20, 2012
playboy19:

Absolutely right. But that is in the US of A. The probability of that happening in Nigeria is so slim you need microscope to find it. The reason;

1. As reported, 90-95% start ups in Nigerian dont last 10 years

2. The "C" word, sir. Corruption. Try and open a pure water retail store (not manufacturing, just retail) and have someone manage it for you for a year and see if you'd have a balanced sheet.

3. Long term investment is not good for Nigerian youth, reason? The elders leave no space for you. Try buying into Nigerian brewery and see how that goes, even the NNPC we are talking about see how it'll go.

Sir, let's face reality and not some speculations. I'm in no way a pessimist but a realist base on experience. I'm not a failure in any of my businesses, infact, i'm a envy of my peer. But, the earlier we understand how Nigerian setting works and stop comparing our setting with the western world, the better for us all. Nigeria cares more about perception than reality, so you must try and get yourself up first before thinking of trying to dine with the rich. Invest in something within your reach. Get yourself ready for the dinning challenge.

In summary, i believe the NNPC stock wont get to us all, it's strictly for "Them".

Let's believe in nigeria for a change! If we keep being negative about nigeria! Wats d essence of living in d country! Wats d essence of living without hope!! I dnt believe nigeria is dat bad...yes we have problems but we can overcome it only if we don't stop believing dat we can overcome!

I will ask dis again wat is d essence of living in d country or being a nigerian when u believe that we will never get better...its like going to d hospital but believing u will never get well! Just die now!
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by playboy19(m): 6:01pm On Jul 20, 2012
billante:

Let's believe in nigeria for a change! If we keep being negative about nigeria! Wats d essence of living in d country! Wats d essence of living without hope!! I dnt believe nigeria is dat bad...yes we have problems but we can overcome it only if we don't stop believing dat we can overcome!

I will ask dis again wat is d essence of living in d country or being a nigerian when u believe that we will never get better...its like going to d hospital but believing u will never get well! Just die now!

Hhehehehe..lol you are very funny. You know, i knew where you were coming from, from your first statement. I was only trying to make you see the business side which most Nigerians who are not "pratical" business people dont see.

Believing in Nigeria has absolutely nothing to do with it. So stop being emotional. It's strictly business from here. Being emotional about your country will only get you broke and if you're already broke, you'll only remain the way you are (that's not precisely directed to you but just speaking generally).

Between, if i dont believe in Nigeria, i wont invest in Nigeria this much. But i'm only trying to make you see the reality of investing in the country. I'm not saying you wont make your money, infact what i'm trying to say is, if you are smart or lucky enough to make money to buy NNPC stock, then you are smart enough to start some other businesses on your own and make more money. What i'm saying is, you should leave stock like NNPC to the big boys that already hold it to ransom. Leave long term investments like this if you truly want to be rich.

If you're not strong enough, don't buy into a game that has no Rule.
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by Reference(m): 6:36pm On Jul 20, 2012
playboy19:

Sir, do you live in that country, Nigeria? Have you ever invested $10,000 and above in that country? If you answer yes to either of these questions, then you are a risk taker.

Someone's thinking here. Government owned company, national cash cow, corrupt legacy, questionable management, political pawn, shady balance sheet, undisclosed foreign/domestic debts, platform for north/south resource struggle, unforseeble community, local and foreign pending litigations. Man, I don't know of any deal that has as many red flags as this.

The NNPC as is currently structured is not a marketable. That car needs serious garage time. It may be a Rolls or Lambo but if it doesn't start and runs.....

And please don't tell me, if big men are buying it must be a good deal if you don't share the same source and the same destiny.
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by wildorchid(f): 7:00pm On Jul 20, 2012
30 percent in a cash milking corporation like the NNPC sounds juicy.
But as long as there's a form of government ownership and given the status quo whereby the corporation carries the finances of the nation on its back and the government treats the corporation like a hunch-backed slave, I don't think the investment will be worth the stress. I remember what happened to transcorp some years back. I'll take heed though
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by P406: 8:44pm On Jul 20, 2012
if you believe this then you will believe any thing.
the reality is that there are things in the PIB that will
be hard to swallow hence this carrot.
the more you look the less you see, its all a mirage.
Question: why are they not insisting that the companies buying up
PHCN are listed on the NSE? or at least part of the equity?
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by 1forall: 8:55pm On Jul 20, 2012
NNPC has never been run as a profit making organization. Was it not declared insolvent and indebted in billions of dollars last year by a finance minister? I can't put my 1 kobo there lailai.

nnpc-gone-bankrupt

Plus, how can it be a wise decision to invest in the flagship of corrupt Nigerian organizations?

See men don dey plan to buy NNPC shares grin At best the idea can only make the rich richer.
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by kennytidistar(m): 4:07am On Jul 22, 2012
5% sure for OTE$ and another 5% sure for facrook for successfull implementtation of shreding fuel subsidy probe report! just passing!
Re: 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians by kennytidistar(m): 4:27am On Jul 22, 2012
they have return to the old age NNPC was once NOC and NGC for gas but asset management this one na strictly chop chop avenue for banking and insurance company.

(1) (2) (Reply)

MASSOB, Suspected Thugs, Police Clash In Ebonyi / Jonathan's Religion And NOT Politics Is Why They Want Him Out / Ongoing Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri!-breaking. ; Aljazeera.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.