Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,414 members, 7,819,489 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (893357 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (434) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by numen(m): 8:39pm On May 16, 2013
fun lover: My honda babyboy(2000 model) overheats after I have used the Ac continously for abt 2 to 3 hrs...the temperature indicator moves up and the car drags..but I can drive it all day without overheating if I do not use AC..what could be done ?

Also,is the use of coolant recommended,if yes,what type?

My steering also locks if I switch off the engine totally in order to put of the car stereo..what can I do?..as a result of this,I leave the radio light on..is this healthy for d car?

Regarding the over-heating; You might want to change your radiator from single pipe to double pipe. Some ppl will recommend flushing it, but if you have the green, change your radiator and cool away.

Regarding your steering lock; Are you saying you can't off your radio without switching off the engine and that same process locks your steering (without you turning the steering even for a slightest bit after switching off engine)?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by numen(m): 8:43pm On May 16, 2013
olajide_07: @luvi I need your help O! Before my technicians would destroy my car!!! HELP -
Let me start like this, I make it a habit to change my ball joints 1ce every 2 months max 3mths, because- I don't want any disappointments, I changed them over the weekend and everything was fine except I was hearing this sharp noise (thou very faint) of a needle rubbing iron, I complained, but they said their was nothing wrong, until yesterday lo-and behold my greatest fear my ball joint nut, flew oFf just like that and my car parked well -right in the middle of the road, some road side mechanic worked on it and I moved it home and returned this morning to my mechanic, they de-assembled and reassembled the arms and legs of my car, I told them I was going to test run the car myself, believe you me I put the gear in R, and my car and tyre had not done a 360 rotation when the shaft pulled off, they insisted they tighten it well and they had to re-jack the car and run it while hanging it was vibrating as if the engine seats had cut so they changed the gear seat remaining one which they could loose that was extremely stiff, nah so O! I allowed them to test drive the and when they came back they said it was not going to affect the car, but lo- and behold the more I increase speed the from 0-40mph the car vibrates; as if the tyre is bad, 1. I hope its not the shaft cups, what. Should I tell them to look out for thanks.

Your guess is as good as mine. I'm suspecting the shaft cups too.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by funlover1(m): 9:01am On May 17, 2013
numen:

Regarding the over-heating; You might want to change your radiator from single pipe to double pipe. Some ppl will recommend flushing it, but if you have the green, change your radiator and cool away.

Regarding your steering lock; Are you saying you can't off your radio without switching off the engine and that same process locks your steering (without you turning the steering even for a slightest bit after switching off engine)?

thanks Numen...guess i'll have to change the radiator like u advised.what about the use of coolant;is it compulsory to use coolants?

Yes...i cant switch off the radio totally without switching off the engine and this locks the steering.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by tushbobo(m): 2:44pm On May 24, 2013
aychadas: Please where can I get Z1 honda gear oil, I looked for it all over Port harcourt but couldn't find it, n how much pls.
You can get at Evo road off olu obasanjo road(if coming from water lines).If coming from Abacha road,the building is by your left few plots from the junction.I bought mine there 2 years back at 2500 per liter.I think u ll need 4 liters
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Lordscrown(m): 10:04am On May 27, 2013
Please,ɪ̣̝̇ drive a honda buldog,ɪ̣̝̇'ve serviced it twice within a month and yet it emit smokes.some said the engine is weared and spoied...so М̣̣̥̇̊Ɣ question is,is it advisable to ring the enine or buy a new one

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Nobody: 12:28pm On May 27, 2013
Lordscrown: Please,ɪ̣̝̇ drive a honda buldog,ɪ̣̝̇'ve serviced it twice within a month and yet it emit smokes.some said the engine is weared and spoied...so М̣̣̥̇̊Ɣ question is,is it advisable to ring the enine or buy a new one

Get a new engine and your car would be as good as new. Do not go for engine repair or ringing, save up and buy a new engine and don't look back.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Lordscrown(m): 12:56pm On May 27, 2013
Thanks for the response broda...will do just that asap...any idea how much the engine cost?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by dougivilla(m): 3:48pm On May 27, 2013
Lordscrown: Please,ɪ̣̝̇ drive a honda buldog,ɪ̣̝̇'ve serviced it twice within a month and yet it emit smokes.some said the engine is weared and spoied...so М̣̣̥̇̊Ɣ question is,is it advisable to ring the enine or buy a new one
Pls get another if you have the resources. It will always pay you better in the long run. I did so, about four years ago to one of my Honda cars and have not regretted it, thats after spending so much at the mechanics, on frequent repair visits, without any meaningful progress.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Denc: 2:58pm On Jun 08, 2013
After days/weeks of searching for the recommended oil (5W-20)...including calling Mobil depot at Apapa and SolutionsPlus at Yaba...I plan on using Mobil1 0W-40 (preferred) OR QUARTZ 9000 5W-40...hope thats not a bad idea in the long run...but thats the best I could come up with in this situation

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/0W40_or_5W20.aspx

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 9:08pm On Jun 08, 2013
Denc: I own 2006 Accord V6...its due for servicing

After days/weeks of searching for the recommended oil (5W-20)...including calling Mobil depot at Apapa and SolutionsPlus at Yaba...I plan on using Mobil1 0W-40 (preferred) OR QUARTZ 9000 5W-40...hope thats not a bad idea in the long run...but thats the best I could come up with in this situation

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/0W40_or_5W20.aspx
Total Quartz or Mobil XHP will provide a very good alternative.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Denc: 7:13am On Jun 09, 2013
luvinhubby:

OK luvinhubby

But I intend to call Total Lubricants Manager on Monday...saw their contact online yesterday...to findout if they have 5W-20 OR 0W-20 in Nigeria. If they don't have, then my preference is in this order
(1) QUARTZ 9000 5W-40...rechecked the data-sheet; it more suited for Honda's with catalytic converters
(2) Mobil1 0W-40

As for coolants...Total coolant seems suitable for Honda's...an alternative for the recommended Type 2...see respective product data sheet in links

http://www.total.mu/os/content/NT000352B2.pdf

http://www.worldpac.com/tagged/Coolant_-_Honda.pdf

I plan to visit a Total Service Station in the next few days and do engine oil change + change of coolant (will flush and save the current coolant in the Accord; incase the Total coolant messes up in future wink)
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by EvilSirit: 8:38am On Jun 09, 2013
Please I use a 2002 Honda Civic and I ve bin using only water in the Radiator until recent I got aware of the consequences.....please what type of coolant(color,product) do you advice I buy
Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by edoyad(m): 1:00pm On Jun 09, 2013
Evil Sirit: Please I use a 2002 Honda Civic and I ve bin using only water in the Radiator until recent I got aware of the consequences.....please what type of coolant(color,product) do you advice I buy
Thanks
Honda uses green coolant like the Total that Guy is talking of.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by oseri(m): 1:20pm On Jun 09, 2013
i have a 2005 honda accord. whenever i depress the break pedal, i hear a continuous noise(ke ke ke ke.....) until i lift off my leg from the break. i have changed the break pad, the upper and lower arm(at least that's what the mechanic called it) but the noise still persist. another mechanic said it's the break caliper. i'm so tired of this trial n error naija mechanic. any way forward?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Denc: 2:10pm On Jun 09, 2013
edoyad:
Honda uses green coolant like the Total that Guy is talking of.

Evil Sirit...kindly consult your car manual FIRST...hoping you still have it OR look it up online (Google your car model)
Accords and Civics may not necessarily use the same fluids...and Honda's (unlike Toyota's) are quite selective
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by edoyad(m): 9:41pm On Jun 09, 2013
Honda Antifreeze Honda makes its own specific Honda coolant/antifreeze for use in Hondas, including the Civic. You can purchase the Honda brand of antifreeze at your local Honda or Acura dealer. Check your car's owner's manual to determine what specific kind of Honda antifreeze to use in your Civic. ............
Blue and Green Antifreeze You can use either blue or green antifreeze in your Honda without impacting the antifreeze's performance; the color difference is simply a result of the different dyes used in making the product. If you have previously used green antifreeze, you can still use blue or use a mixture of both. Red or Orange Antifreeze Do not use red or orange colored antifreeze, as these products are most compatible with GM vehicles. These kinds of antifreeze will not work well in Japanese manufactured vehicles, including the Honda Civic. Check the label and brand of the antifreeze to see if it is made for Japanese vehicles.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7750757_kind-antifreeze-honda-civic.html
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Ngutor(m): 1:30pm On Jun 10, 2013
luvinhubby:
Good day sir. Hope all is well. Please do you have a base in Abuja?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nas00(m): 8:44pm On Jun 11, 2013
oseri: i have a 2005 honda accord. whenever i depress the break pedal, i hear a continuous noise(ke ke ke ke.....) until i lift off my leg from the break. i have changed the break pad, the upper and lower arm(at least that's what the mechanic called it) but the noise still persist. another mechanic said it's the break caliper. i'm so tired of this trial n error naija mechanic. any way forward?

It's most likely your brake disc, especially if your steering vibrates or you feel some throbbing of the pedal while you step on the brake . Replacing your brake pads AND brake discs should solve the problem.
Replacing ONLY your brake pads may not solve it.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Omeife2: 12:26pm On Jun 12, 2013
For some months, my Honda CIVIC 2001 was acting funny. It will trip of in traffic and start when restarted. When in motion, the D light on the dash trips off for like 2 seconds and comes back on. It causes the car to vibrate funny, and the gear change becomes rough. I noticed this problem was more frequent when the Ac was on. Of course mechanics had tuned the engine, increasing the speed and reducing it several times, the ignition switch was checked, gear switch checked, several fuses changed, Gear solenoids serviced, I was on the verge of even changing the gearbox last week at the cost of about 150k, based on the diagnosis of one diagnostics centre. I decided o seek one last opinion. And the plug coils were found to be the problem. The news plugs I bought were changed to Belgium ones and the coils were sealed with a tape. Everyting cost me about 1,500naira..And now my car is in perfect condition. Its best to seek several opinions before spending big on ur car. Just yesterday, I was about buying a new master cylinder based on recommendations from two other mechanics. A third one discovered it was the break pots that needed changing. And I saved my self another huge expenditure..
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by cisplatin: 8:59am On Jun 13, 2013
Good day all! Pls I'm planning to get a 1998 honda baby boy...can anyone advice based on its reliability?

Also, i heared the transmission is notorious, so I'd like to know the cost of replacing the transmission (automatic).
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by 18wheeler: 9:35am On Jun 13, 2013
cisplatin: Good day all! Pls I'm planning to get a 1998 honda baby boy...can anyone advice based on its reliability?

Also, i heared the transmission is notorious, so I'd like to know the cost of replacing the transmission (automatic).
The transmission is only notorious if you use the wong ATF when changing or you dont change according to schedule. It costs between 60 and 80 thousand naira I heard. I've never bought one myself. I've used my 1999 accord since November 2008.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by cisplatin: 12:15pm On Jun 13, 2013
18wheeler:
The transmission is only notorious if you use the wong ATF when changing or you dont change according to schedule. It costs between 60 and 80 thousand naira I heard. I've never bought one myself. I've used my 1999 accord since November 2008.
thank you bro. Please what is correct ATF for a 98 model?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by orgy: 1:25pm On Jun 13, 2013
Hi Gurus in the house.
my spouse's honda pilot 2011 (touring) navigation screen display just went blank. When u start the car, the power comes to the screen but it will not show anything, just blank. Please can some one assist gimme an idea what the cause is and also what the remedy could be and where to easily and affordably get this fixed.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by 18wheeler: 2:40pm On Jun 13, 2013
cisplatin: thank you bro. Please what is correct ATF for a 98 model?
There's a Honda ATF I cant remember the name now. It's specified in the owner's manual. But you can use any ATF of
DEXRON III grade as substitude. Please note Dexron III and not Dexron II which is commonly found in petrol stations.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by cisplatin: 3:57pm On Jun 13, 2013
18wheeler:
There's a Honda ATF I cant remember the name now. It's specified in the owner's manual. But you can use any ATF of
DEXRON III grade as substitude. Please note Dexron III and not Dexron II which is commonly found in petrol stations.
Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Marpol: 4:02pm On Jun 13, 2013
[quote author=18wheeler]
DEXRON III grade as substitude. Please note Dexron III and not Dexron II which is commonly found in petrol stations.[/quot

Don't use DexronIII please. Use Honda Z1 or DW1. These are recommended for Honda cars. Any other ATF and you run the risk of damaging your transmission.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by 18wheeler: 4:14pm On Jun 13, 2013
[quote author=Marpol][/quote]

But in my car manual, Dexron III is recommended where Honda ATF isn't available. Please educate us more.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Marpol: 4:18pm On Jun 13, 2013
18wheeler:

But in my car manual, Dexron III is recommended where Honda ATF isn't available. Please educate us more.

Dexron III is recommended as a substitute. You are required to flush it and replace with HONDA ATF within the shortest period of time.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Marpol: 4:21pm On Jun 13, 2013
Call Luvinhubby on 08029255299, 08039121412. He delivers to any part of Nigeria.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Marpol: 4:24pm On Jun 13, 2013
This is what the Honda ATF looks like.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by olajide8(m): 4:32pm On Jun 13, 2013
18wheeler:

Plzzzz don't try it I used it for my EOD and gbam it burnt my sensor, in fact it affected a lot of things including my dash board light indicators plzzzzz don't use Dexron use ATF
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by cisplatin: 4:43pm On Jun 13, 2013
olajide_07:
Plzzzz don't try it I used it for my EOD and gbam it burnt my sensor, in fact it affected a lot of things including my dash board light indicators plzzzzz don't use Dexron use ATF
Marpol: This is how the Honda ATF looks like.
Marpol:

Dexron III is recommended as a substitute. You are required to flush it and replace with HONDA ATF within the shortest period of time.
Marpol: Call Luvinhubby on 08029255299, 08039121412. He delivers to any part of Nigeria.
Thank you all very much.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (434) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.