Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (203) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (892893 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) ... (433) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by tojahh(m): 6:15pm On Aug 26, 2019
Abeg how much is power steering cup?

Car is Honda Civic 2003
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by sholarb(m): 9:18pm On Aug 26, 2019
seanfer:

Any leg pull issue with Accord from 2008 upward?

E de happen but not as common as with previous models...I rarely see it happen to 2008+ models. Yet to see it happen to a 2013+ model.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by guru01(m): 3:42am On Aug 27, 2019
My Honda Accord jerks when i accelerate in forward(d4), and also after moving out of gear 2 it seems to get at selecting gear.

After meeting with two different mechanic, one said that i need to change the entire gear box which he said cost around 65k because he said the fiber is damaged(melted) that no repair change fix the problem. The other said, i should change transmission oil and service the gear sensor.

Which of this mechanic should i go with?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 11:08am On Aug 27, 2019
guru01:
My Honda Accord jerks when i accelerate in forward(d4), and also after moving out of gear 2 it seems to get at selecting gear.

After meeting with two different mechanic, one said that i need to change the entire gear box which he said cost around 65k because he said the fiber is damaged(melted) that no repair change fix the problem. The other said, i should change transmission oil and service the gear sensor.

Which of this mechanic should i go with?

Change the fluid and gear switch
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 11:09am On Aug 27, 2019
tojahh:
Abeg how much is power steering cup?

Car is Honda Civic 2003

₦3,000
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 11:45am On Aug 27, 2019
Mrford:

Your temperature sensor is a two wire sensor one is a 5volts reference voltage from the ecu while the 2nd one is a signal wire back to the ecu. As the engine gets hot the resistance in the ect changes which is sent to the ecu in form of a voltage through the signal wire. The ecu uses that information to determine the amount of fuel to send into the cylinder and when to turn on the fan. When you unplug the wiring harness to the ect, the ecu assumes a hot engine condition and in turn switchs on the fan.

You are almost correct, only that you mixed up ECT 1 and ECT 2. There are actually 2 temp sensors. ECT 2 is on the radiator and controls the fan while ECT 1 is the actual Temp the ECU uses to control temperature related parameters and the temp gauge.

ECT 1 measures the coolant temperature leaving the engine going into the radiator while ECT 2 measures the coolant temp leaving the radiator coming into the engine. ECT 2 determines whether cooling is required or not by turning on or off the fan when the coolant leaving the radiator has reached maximum or minimum preset temp while ECT 1 tells the ECU how hot or cold the engine is running which is used to control the IVAC at cold start and amount of fuel to released by injectors.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Brozok: 4:25pm On Aug 27, 2019
I want to do servicing on my Honder accord 2004 but am not sure wic oil to use either Mobil 1 advance full synthetic 5w-30 for 18k or Mobil super semi synthetic 5w-30 cost 5k. I use forte oil 20w-50 but d exhaust is emanating black smoke so I want to change oil in my next servicing next. Am also considering cost.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Mrford(m): 8:04pm On Aug 27, 2019
adanny01:

You are almost correct, only that you mixed up ECT 1 and ECT 2. There are actually 2 temp sensors. ECT 2 is on the radiator and controls the fan while ECT 1 is the actual Temp the ECU uses to control temperature related parameters and the temp gauge.

ECT 1 measures the coolant temperature leaving the engine going into the radiator while ECT 2 measures the coolant temp leaving the radiator coming into the engine. ECT 2 determines whether cooling is required or not by turning on or off the fan when the coolant leaving the radiator has reached maximum or minimum preset temp while ECT 1 tells the ECU how hot or cold the engine is running which is used to control the IVAC at cold start and amount of fuel to released by injectors.

Thank you for the correction.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Johnsonkeyz2019: 9:13am On Aug 28, 2019
Brozok:
I want to do servicing on my Honder accord 2004 but am not sure wic oil to use either Mobil 1 advance full synthetic 5w-30 for 18k or Mobil super semi synthetic 5w-30 cost 5k. I use forte oil 20w-50 but d exhaust is emanating black smoke so I want to change oil in my next servicing next. Am also considering cost.

Get the mobile 1 advanced full synthetic or if that's too expensive try Castrol 5w20 that's just around 10-12k and it's good to from my experience but please don't use anything lesser or Different

By the way if u check the Cars manual ND the oil top cover the recommended oil 5w20 or so is written there ND that's the only oil u sud pour into ur Car if u like ur Car like I Love Mine

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by guru01(m): 4:23pm On Aug 28, 2019
luvinhubby:

Change the fluid and gear switch
Just like that? I mean your answer is very simple and makes me wonder if i will not end up still replacing the transmission.
Please sir, what is the gear switch called in the market and how much does it cost?
Someone recommended oando trans fluid but i didn't want to buy that unless i get the atf z1.

What the gear mechanic said still bothers me, the the fiber is melted and therefore the transmission is damaged. undecided
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nas00(m): 7:01pm On Aug 28, 2019
Brozok:

Hi Sir.

A fact you can't gloss over is that your car already produces black smoke from the exhaust. Worn piston rings and engine deposits could be possible culprits.

If you must change engine oil, I would advise the semi-synthetic for starters. You might need frequent top-ups if the piston rings are worn and the cost implication for full synthetic won't be nice.

Change air filter, scan car to be sure there are no codes that may contribute to the sooty exhaust (eg. Faulty oxygen sensor).
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 9:30pm On Aug 28, 2019
guru01:

Just like that? I mean your answer is very simple and makes me wonder if i will not end up still replacing the transmission.
Please sir, what is the gear switch called in the market and how much does it cost?
Someone recommended oando trans fluid but i didn't want to buy that unless i get the atf z1.

What the gear mechanic said still bothers me, the the fiber is melted and therefore the transmission is damaged. undecided

If the fibres are burnt, it will darken the color of the gear fluid and give out a burnt smell.
Do not attempt to put anything ATF-Z1 in your gear as that will definitely be a fake clone from China, Honda stopped Z1 in 2011 & replaced it DW1(also cloned) which is backwards compliant.
Look for the genuine DW1 that has a computer generated batch code at the reverse side.

Whoever told you an EOD gear is 65k is NOT correct, may not have any intention of replacing yours.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by symbianDON(m): 3:47am On Aug 29, 2019
luvinhubby:

If the fibres are burnt, it will darken the color of the gear fluid and give out a burnt smell.
Do not attempt to put anything ATF-Z1 in your gear as that will definitely be a fake clone from China, Honda stopped Z1 in 2011 & replaced it DW1(also cloned) which is backwards compliant.
Look for the genuine DW1 that has a computer generated batch code at the reverse side.

Whoever told you an EOD gear is 65k is NOT correct, may not have any intention of replacing yours.
my sister's 2005 accord had a similar issue yesterday. Hers seems to be transmission failure because the car could reverse but wasn't going past gear 1. Her mechanics suggested complete transmission change as they claim the fibres are burnt (funny that she actually used genuine dw-1 not cloned). Please give a quote for the transmission if she's to get a toks from you. Thanks.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 11:15am On Aug 29, 2019
symbianDON:

my sister's 2005 accord had a similar issue yesterday. Hers seems to be transmission failure because the car could reverse but wasn't going past gear 1. Her mechanics suggested complete transmission change as they claim the fibres are burnt (funny that she actually used genuine dw-1 not cloned). Please give a quote for the transmission if she's to get a toks from you. Thanks.

Most times, our people tend to replace car fluids when they observe a fault, changing fluids at that point may be useless as the damage may have been done already.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by guru01(m): 12:54pm On Aug 29, 2019
luvinhubby:

Its not an EOD, its an Accord 2001 UK Model (not the generic baby boy). The transmission fluid is dark brown.
Some said i should use Oando/Mobil (can't not remember the specific one again).

Where can I get this DW1 fluid, is it sold online?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Johnsonkeyz2019: 9:25am On Aug 31, 2019
Happy Weekend Great People

Please how much is the windscreen of 2006 Honda Accord the Cost of the Original screen
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by mosbus: 11:06am On Aug 31, 2019
Tokunbo Honda Civic for sale need serious buyer.
Features.

Accident free.

Automatic transmission.

Fabrics.

4 cylinder.

Asking price 1,650,000

Whatsapp:08026941215.

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Perkins1: 10:30am On Sep 02, 2019
Please how much is door handle for Honda Civic 2003?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by cumlord(m): 8:37pm On Sep 02, 2019
Please help o. My Honda accord 94A(acadeny) suddenly just started revving high before shift to second gear. It just started suddenly today. Please what's the likely faults becos I took it for scanning and the guy said the port isn't there.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Nobody: 10:36pm On Sep 02, 2019
cumlord:
Please help o. My Honda accord 94A(acadeny) suddenly just started revving high before shift to second gear. It just started suddenly today. Please what's the likely faults becos I took it for scanning and the guy said the port isn't there.
grin grin you took 1994 Accord for scanning,

“The port isn’t there” Lol

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GCFR696(m): 4:37pm On Sep 03, 2019
Hello once again car doctors and patients grin
I've been having the TCS light and caution sign illuminated on my dash board for a while now, I've had the legs checked and everything turns out fine but the light keeps resurfacing. What could be the problem.
The car is an Accord 2005 V6 by the way

Kind regards

Cc
Luvinhubby
nurey
Thebigkendo
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by thebigkendo(m): 9:26pm On Sep 03, 2019
GCFR696:
I've been having the TCS light and caution sign illuminated on my dash board for a while now, I've had the legs checked and everything turns out fine but the light keeps resurfacing. What could be the problem.

Kind regards

Cc
Luvinhubby
nurey
Thebigkedo

Have you tried pushing the TCS switch?
Do you have your ABS sign on or check engine light? If yes.. Please scan
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by perryy(m): 9:35pm On Sep 03, 2019
Let me quickly share this . I drive an 2005 Honda Accord V6 . Last year , the D light was blinking, I had it fixed and I decided to travel with it . But before I got to Abeokuta , the blinking re-surfaced I decided to continue with my journey with the car as it was . Before I got to Benin, my gear was ruined. I managed to drive it back that way and on getting back to Lagos , had it changed. But the gear I bought came with broken switches and as such they couldn't be used. I decided to get tokunbo switches. After they were fixed , there was no blinking but before I got home , the much dreaded blinking reared in its ugly head again . Since then, almost a year now, I have been battling with this ugly problem to no avail. I have bought many gear oil pressure switches , changed gear oil several times all to no avail. I even brought someone from Oyinbo to scan and work on the gear , the same problem persisted .

So today, I decided to still visit a local repair shop near me here. I told the guy to remove the switches and put the ones that were removed before , the blinking stopped but before we could drive up to 2 miles , the evil light started again ,. We removed the switches again, washed and put the old ones , the problem remained the same . In the midst of the confusion, I decided to take a look at the old switches along side the tokunbo ones . During that process , I observed that the screw on the old switch was shorter than the one on the new one. As I was looking out for other differences, a washer fell off from the screw of the old switch and the length of both switches became equal. I quickly asked the technician to put the washer on the tokunbo switche and have it fixed on the gear , and voila, that was it. The blinking of over a year came to an end. My gear now performs wonder like a beast it was and once again, I have began to enjoy my beast.

So, if u are having this issue, talk to your technician to always put the washer at the base of the oil pressure switch before fixing it on your gear. Puting the switch on the gear without the washer , the switch goes deeper into the gear than normal and disrupt the supply of transmission oil to the switch. Give it a try and get back. Note! Gear was serviced with original DW 1 Honda gear fluid.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by perryy(m): 9:40pm On Sep 03, 2019
GCFR696:

Kind regards

Cc
Luvinhubby
nurey
Thebigkendo

Either your ABS sensors are bad or the AbS control module is ruined or has a disconnection. Go for a scan to ascertain the actual fault
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 11:16pm On Sep 03, 2019
greatdave:
Please who knows where to get OEM Radiator Antifreeze/Coolant?

Thanks!

http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=ANT&partNumber=301 N7,006
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 11:19pm On Sep 03, 2019
dakpemien:
please guys i just got a honda accord 2009 and the recommended oil from maintenance manual is API premium grade 5W-20. which product or brand matches that in Nigeria

Almost any brand. What matters is 5w20.

http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=CQO&partNumber=CQ920-5QT N16,728
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 11:20pm On Sep 03, 2019
Namzy:

Have same issue for 2 years now and have tried all sorts of fix Short of changing the transmission unfortunately no fix. If you accelerate gently it shifts from 1 to 2 smoothly. My next step is to buy Lucas transmission fix and if it spoils the transmission...... So be it. If you find a fix let me know

Bring it over
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 11:25pm On Sep 03, 2019
Johnsonkeyz2019:
I bought a New Ball Joint just like a month ago ND both that one ND the Tokunbo I bought for driver side in April started making sounds recently so my mechanic said I needed to change both ND installed some Tokunbo again he said Grade One lols

So now my question is under normal usage plus few travellings how many months or years is a good Honda Ball joint suppose to use on Nigeria roads ??

I got this two for 12,000 is that fine??

Years
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 11:29pm On Sep 03, 2019
guru01:

https://www.nairaland.com/4816308/fluid-specs-q-thread/5#75973337
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by onatisi(m): 4:08am On Sep 04, 2019
Good morning. Please I have noticed an upsurge in the rate at which people are selling and advertising Honda 2008-2009 cars . Please is there any reason why this is happening or is there a major fault about these model that is making ppl sell it off quick and cheap.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nurey(m): 5:52am On Sep 04, 2019
onatisi:
Good morning. Please I have noticed an upsurge in the rate at which people are selling and advertising Honda 2008-2009 cars . Please is there any reason why this is happening or is there a major fault about these model that is making ppl sell it off quick and cheap.

You can only find out if you do the survey by yourself which is pretty easy, go and inspect few specimens and drop your verdict as a thread here.

Besides I am not surprised, same was said for the baby boy and EOD

https://www.nairaland.com/1063897/why-there-many-registered-honda

https://www.nairaland.com/2045016/why-everyone-selling-honda-accord

The number 1 reason I can give is out of all affordable cars by low income earners, Honda always stand out and improvement can always be seen and enjoyed in later models so people sell the old to get the new.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by onatisi(m): 6:03am On Sep 04, 2019
thank you sir . i will keep on making inquiries just as you advised
nurey:

You can only find out if you do the survey by yourself which is pretty easy, go and inspect few specimens and drop your verdict as a thread here.

Besides I am not surprised, same was said for the baby boy and EOD

https://www.nairaland.com/1063897/why-there-many-registered-honda

https://www.nairaland.com/2045016/why-everyone-selling-honda-accord

The number 1 reason I can give is out of all affordable cars by low income earners, Honda always stand out and improvement can always be seen and enjoyed in later models so people sell the old to get the new.

(1) (2) (3) ... (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) ... (433) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.