Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,384 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana (8047 Views)

$3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG / Why Femi Falana Was Not Made A Minister - Sahara Reporters / Fashola To Jonathan: "You Failed, Not Me!" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by mukina2: 10:01am On Jul 23, 2012
Lagos-based lawyer, Femi Falana, on Sunday, said the State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, should be held responsible for the death of the Makoko traditional ruler.

The chief, Timothy Agbe, was allegedly killed on Saturday during a demolition exercise at the Makoko and Iwaya waterfront, by Cpl. Pepple Boma, who was attached to the Task force unit overseeing the exercise.

Falana, who described the killing as "illegal and unconstitutional", blamed the state government for Agbe's death and the destruction of properties in the coastal community.

"As the unlawful killing and the wilful destruction of properties were carried out on the directive of the Lagos State Government, the latter should be held vicariously liable in the circumstance," he said.

He also called for the adequate compensation of the deceased's family, including other persons affected by the demolition exercise.

"The Lagos State Government should pay adequate monetary damages to the dependants of the deceased whose fundamental right to life has been brutally violated," he said.

"Similarly all those whose houses have been destroyed by the government are equally entitled to compensation that is fair and just."

The State Police Command had earlier announced Boma's arrest, saying investigation had commenced into the killing.

However, Falana asked that the accused be prosecuted for murder.

Also, according to him, the state government acted illegally by engaging in the demolition of shanties and structures in the community without a court order.

"This is a reckless violation of the provisions of the Lagos State Rent Control and Recovery of Premises which have criminalised the forceful ejection of any person resident in Lagos State without an order issued by a competent court and executed by the Sheriff and Bailiff of the court," he said.

He, however, called for the immediate end to the ongoing demolition exercise and the eviction of the residents, saying it would have far-reaching consequences.

Falana said that the mass displacement of the residents had led to the "disruption of the education of thousands of innocent children."

http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/falana-blames-fashola-makoko-murder

1 Like

Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by Afam4eva(m): 10:03am On Jul 23, 2012
If Goodluck Jonathan can be blamed for some men's inability to perform in bed then i see no reason why Fashola should not be blamed for this gruesome murder.

9 Likes

Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by Okijajuju1(m): 10:19am On Jul 23, 2012
Whats that Yoruba SAN saying this time around?! angry

I would have thought that being a SAN would shut him up!!

How is Fashola responsible for the murder?! Is he incharge of the NPF abi na him pull the trigger?!

angry
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by idirect(m): 10:21am On Jul 23, 2012
afam4eva: If Goodluck Jonathan can be blamed for his incompetent then i see no reason why Fashola should not be blamed for this gruesome murder.
Seconded cool
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by Nobody: 10:23am On Jul 23, 2012
Not available
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by aweaweawe: 10:23am On Jul 23, 2012
fashola na Bleep up guy nw,am not sure if acn is going to win lagos in 2015.pdp should get ready to take over.
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by miteolu(m): 10:24am On Jul 23, 2012
SAN vs SAN
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by Nobody: 10:26am On Jul 23, 2012
angry
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by idirect(m): 10:26am On Jul 23, 2012
aweaweawe: fashola na Bleep up guy nw,am not sure if acn is going to win lagos in 2015.pdp should get ready to take over.
Take over my foot

1 Like

Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by buty: 10:26am On Jul 23, 2012
I don't understand why this govt chase pple out of their houses without alternative settlement. Where do they expect these poor pple τ̅☺  τ̅☺ with their families. I am Ω̶̣̣̥̇̊​oτ̣̣̥​ against Lagos state govt 4 wanting τ̅☺ clean up the place, bt they shuld provide alternative homes 4 them, you need τ̅☺ seee them crying oon TV, they looked hopeless and lost, they looked like refugees in their own land.
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by Nobody: 10:26am On Jul 23, 2012
If there was no court order to demolish the place, then Fashola should be held accountable for the death of Timothy Agbe and the demolition. Although that demolition was long overdue, there was supposed to be a court order and adequate compensation made to the inhabitants. What is fashola doing with the state allocations and the enormous IGR from Lagos State. Fashola is a lawyer by profession he is supposed to know better not to be unilateral in exercise of the office of governor.
Why is Falana talking like an uneducated shymmex?

Why should the Government compensate these people for the demolition of their ILLEGAL structures?

The Guy that was shot was most likely resisting the police based on his 'position' as 'chief'.

And how on earth can you blame Fashola? Did he pull the trigger? or Was it a 'hit'

Falana get real!
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by DICKtator: 10:27am On Jul 23, 2012
@Okija
U typed what I was thinking
He worked tirelessly to become a SAN.
I thot he wld relax a lil b4 talking about the ever changing 9ja polity but short people neva live below their expectations(no pun intended). Ask Oshiomole.
But to address the issue of Fashola's responsibility, he is not actually responsible for the actions of his surbodinates, mefink it is the Lagos State Govt that is accountable/responsible for such action.
It is the LASG that shld be charged to court
There are some exceptions though.........
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by megxo(m): 10:27am On Jul 23, 2012
aweaweawe: fashola na Bleep up guy nw,am not sure if acn is going to win lagos in 2015.pdp should get ready to take over.
werin him do....na him shoot d gun ni?.......... angry
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by jmaine: 10:28am On Jul 23, 2012
afam4eva: If Goodluck Jonathan can be blamed for some men's inability to perform in bed then i see no reason why Fashola should not be blamed for this gruesome murder.

Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by megxo(m): 10:28am On Jul 23, 2012
oh femi falaci ko falana.............. GET A LYF>............ tongue
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by alaoeri: 10:29am On Jul 23, 2012
PDP should take over abeg stop dreaming.
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by Okijajuju1(m): 10:33am On Jul 23, 2012
DICKtator: @Okija
U typed what I was thinking
He worked tirelessly to become a SAN.
I thot he wld relax a lil b4 talking about the ever changing 9ja polity but short people neva live below their expectations(no pun intended). Ask Oshiomole.
But to address the issue of Fashola's responsibility, he is not actually responsible for the actions of his surbodinates, mefink it is the Lagos State Govt that is accountable/responsible for such action.
It is the LASG that shld be charged to court
There are some exceptions though.........

LASG charged to court for what?!! Was that a legal residence?! Was Makoko an approved government residential area that was demolished?! Pay compensation to who?! For what?! Where is their C-of-O for the water that they have been occupying?! I might not be a SAN, but that man should shut up!!

If they had died as a result of some natural disaster like a flood or a hide tide or turbulant wave, the same busy body SAN would be on the cover of Newspapers calling for the prosecution of all tiers of government for negligence

P.S Apart from being Yoruba, why was this talkative made a SAN again sef?

1 Like

Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:40am On Jul 23, 2012
GEJ please perform so i can perform, abeg na.. e don dey tai too much, i cannot perform because of you.. haba, perform na? angry
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by timmy1999(m): 10:46am On Jul 23, 2012
Fashola shld be impeaching for commiting a crime against humanity..you demotion pple houses without any provision for resettlement or compensation..and u say u be SAN..senior agbepo of nigeria..fashola must go..
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by timmy1999(m): 10:47am On Jul 23, 2012
timmy1999: Fashola shld be impeaching for commiting a crime against humanity..you demotion pple houses without any provision for resettlement or compensation..and u say u be SAN..senior agbepo of nigeria..fashola must go..
timmy1999: Fashola shld be impeaching for commiting a crime against humanity..you demotion pple houses without any provision for resettlement or compensation..and u say u be SAN..senior agbepo of nigeria..fashola must go..
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by ifihearam: 10:50am On Jul 23, 2012
jackbauersballs: Why is Falana talking like an uneducated shymmex?

Why should the Government compensate these people for the demolition of their ILLEGAL structures?

The Guy that was shot was most likely resisting the police based on his 'position' as 'chief'.

And how on earth can you blame Fashola? Did he pull the trigger? or Was it a 'hit'

Falana get real!

ROFLMAO. Tink I only agree wit o on ur first statement
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by Nobody: 10:57am On Jul 23, 2012
Nigerians una too funny. See as you guys are trying hard to exonerate fashola from been blamed but if na GEJ all of una go run mouth blame am. i pity Nigeria
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by Tlake(m): 11:06am On Jul 23, 2012
No court order is needed for dat demolition cos its not a land they bought or own its a govt property illegally occupied by them. They hve bin warnd 2 leave dat site 4 a very long tym nw even durin d military era so its no news to them they jst choose to un concernd
And annoyinly most of dem are nt nigerians. Togo,benin etc
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by FindOut(m): 11:16am On Jul 23, 2012

Guy, relax na. What impeachable offence? Are the structures legal or not? My only grouse is the short notice that was given before demolition.

&Its funny u r insulting Fashola, coz if u dont come back to edit your own post here, I assure you insults will be directed at your person, not from me tho'......not needed.
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by whealthy(m): 11:17am On Jul 23, 2012
Falana said "vicariously liable"... It is a principle of law in which the master is held to be jointly or severally responsible for the acts of his servant in a master servant relationship, once the act that injures the victim falls within the duty delegated to the servant.. For instance, your sErvant drives and knocks down a person, the person can sue you or your driver or both of your for compensation.
In this case, Fashola delegated duty to demolish to the police, so MIGHT be vicariously liable, however this is to be determined by a court of competent jurisdiction.
Also, Fashola can argue that he is not vicariously liable as the relationship is not that of a master/servant which is usually mostly based on not only delegatin duty, but tellin them how to do it.
The court would be the final destination
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by kioboy(m): 11:24am On Jul 23, 2012

Falana get real!

even if he resisted them unarmed, does it warrant a law enforcement agent to pull his gun talk of puling his triger?
We shld learn hw to do things rite in dis country. An elected government shld start thinking for d poor masses. As every common man expected to enjoy some comfort and nt to treat them like strangers in their own country.
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by mbhs139(m): 11:37am On Jul 23, 2012
Like someone rightly said on this platform, that it is the supporter of President Obama that criticises him the most. Not for anyhting, but to tell him the truth at all times. I'm an ardent supporter of Fashola, but I can not open my eyes to brazen unlawfulness. Mr. Gov., you goofed on this one adn you need to be told the truth.
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by donbuchi1(m): 11:40am On Jul 23, 2012
Okija_juju: Whats that Yoruba SAN saying this time around?! angry

How is Fashola responsible for the murder?! Is he incharge of the NPF abi na him pull the trigger?!

angry

some people's head need to be examined. like the author of this thrash...
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by mbhs139(m): 11:42am On Jul 23, 2012
Okija_juju: Whats that Yoruba SAN saying this time around?! angry

angry

"As the unlawful killing and the wilful destruction of properties were carried out on the directive of the Lagos State Government, the latter should be held vicariously liable in the circumstance," he said.

can you see the above? that's why the governor is responsible. the yoruba SAN is making sense. dust your GNS text book sir.

1 Like

Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by comradefery: 11:45am On Jul 23, 2012

Falana get real!
Can you see how unfair you are, justifying the gruesome murder of another man with assumption and impunity. Did any one tell you the man was resisting arrest? Even if he was resisting arrest, could the Police not have arrested him without killing him? Must you justify evil to remain a true political loyalist? This dark age reasoning and mentality of yours, is certainly why Dictatorship and Injustice have continued to thrive in Nigeria. Note: We all love Fashola, but not when he gets it wrong!
Re: Death Of Makoko Chief (Timothy Agbe): Fashola To Blame - Femi Falana by mbhs139(m): 11:48am On Jul 23, 2012
whealthy: Falana said "vicariously liable"... It is a principle of law in which the master is held to be jointly or severally responsible for the acts of his servant in a master servant relationship, once the act that injures the victim falls within the duty delegated to the servant.. For instance, your sErvant drives and knocks down a person, the person can sue you or your driver or both of your for compensation.
In this case, Fashola delegated duty to demolish to the police, so MIGHT be vicariously liable, however this is to be determined by a court of competent jurisdiction.
Also, Fashola can argue that he is not vicariously liable as the relationship is not that of a master/servant which is usually mostly based on not only delegatin duty, but tellin them how to do it.
The court would be the final destination

Well, in as much as I do not support Fash on this one, I buy your arguement, particularly the bolded and underlined part because as a matter of fact, Fash does not control the police. the command of the police is not under him because we have a centralised police. So, there couldn't have been a master/servant relationship between them. Be that as it may, and like you rightly said, it is only a competent court of jurisdiction that can determine that. mine is just an academic exercise. thank you sir for the exposee

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Development In The Niger Delta Region By NDDC / Para-military Board Suspends 14 Prisons Officers Over Jail Break / E-money Former Car Washer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.