Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,793 members, 7,827,936 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

0gbeni's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 0gbeni's Profile / 0gbeni's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (of 7 pages)

Education / Re: Oni Babajide Graduates As OAU Best Graduating Student with 4.86 CGPA by 0gbeni(m): 12:01am On Dec 10, 2016
The best graduating student is a doctor, Akinbowa Adeolu who had the highest number of prizes in the university and got the Alhaji Kabir Usman award for the best overall performance

Education / OAU'S Best Graduating Student With His Prizes by 0gbeni(m): 10:47pm On Dec 09, 2016
Pictures are that of the best overall student in the 42nd convocation ceremony of Obafemi Awolowo University (Oba Awon Universities :d)

His name is Dr. Akinbowa Adeolu Tope from the Faculty of Clinical Sciences and he won a total of 12 prizes

I hope he inspires all of us

Pls note that medicine, dentistry, nursing ,medical rehabilitation and pharmacy students don't use CGPA

He won the highest number of prizes and also the Alhaji Kabir Usman Prize for the best overall student

https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/oau-medicine-graduate-11-awards-akinbowa/?utm_source=nnd&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=nnd

1 Like 1 Share

Phones / Re: Gionee rolls out Marshmallow Update for Gionee m5mini by 0gbeni(m): 6:19am On Nov 24, 2016
how large is the update? any appreciable effect seen on the phone?

1 Like 1 Share

Science/Technology / Re: A Huge Snake With A Lot Of Eggs In Nigeria (Photos) by 0gbeni(m): 6:29am On Nov 08, 2016
when we kill off all the snakes in Nigeria, our eyes will finally open

oga lalasticlala, pls stop bringing snake threads to fp, stop encouraging overpoaching
Car Talk / Re: Name Of Your First Car And Your Experience With It? by 0gbeni(m): 6:09am On Nov 08, 2016
my first car was a golf 3 auto. Got it in medical school ..Rough, rugged and incredibly fast,the only issue is the transmission,which has given me serious headaches

Would recommend the car to anybody (manual version though)

3 Likes

Literature / Re: My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie by 0gbeni(m): 8:42am On Nov 06, 2016
why not write your own novel ? i thought you were going to critique the book on literary grounds but what do we have here, a load of poo

Right/wrong is relative by the way, don't try to force your opinion(s) on the readers or the writer

4 Likes

Crime / Re: Mbonu Oluchi Accused Of Trying To Kill Estranged Husband Setup - Facebook User by 0gbeni(m): 7:02pm On Oct 29, 2016
i hope justice is served.. i hope our policemen raise their game asap.. they are a disgrace to law enforcement

4 Likes

Romance / Re: Pregnant Mad Woman In Bayelsa & Her Mad Boyfriend Loved Up (Pics) by 0gbeni(m): 3:34am On Oct 05, 2016
slimfresh:

Are you serious at all?..... mental illness is genetic in some cases...you are the one that needs more education, by the way I major on biology so am not guessingwhen it comes to genetic, you need to do your homework.
I didn't say mental illness does not have a genetic component ...mind you,all i have said is that mental illness is not carried on the x chromosome.. in fact there are hundreds of genes that scientists have linked to mental illness and there's a strong environmental component too...
And like i said before,psychosis or what Nigerians call 'madness' is just a symptom.. there are many possible causes ..
Bro, you need to update yourself...
I'm a medical doctor btw... smiley
Romance / Re: Pregnant Mad Woman In Bayelsa & Her Mad Boyfriend Loved Up (Pics) by 0gbeni(m): 7:52am On Oct 04, 2016
slimfresh:

It depends.....if the madness is genetic for both lovers then thereis 99% provability that one day the child will go mad but if it's not then the child is safe......if the madness in the woman is genetic and that in the man is not then you had better hoped the woman birth a girl(a carrier) but if she birth a boy he is affected but if the madness in the ma is genetic and the woman is not they'll have a normal boy or a carrier girl....all this boils down to the fact that madness is a sex linked recessive character on the X-chromosome.
There are still other possible outcomes but I can't comb through them all I find typing a bit daunting this morning.

what's all these? 'madness' is not carried on the x chromosome
psychosis or 'madness' by is not a diagnosis,its a symptom.. there are different illnesses that can cause psychosis and they include schizophrenia, mood disorders, drugs etc
Nigerians need more education on mental illnesses
Autos / Re: SOLD! SOLD!! Lagos Cleared 2014 Mercedes Benz S550 4matic by 0gbeni(m): 10:16am On Sep 26, 2016
Das Beste Oder Nichts (the best or nothing) ..happy sales sir
Health / Re: I Did An Abortion , Please Help by 0gbeni(m): 10:57am On Sep 18, 2016
op.. take her to the hospital asap( a certified hospital oh) , its probably post abortal sepsis.. she could lose her womb and/or her life ...
you guys will most likely end up not marrying, don't make her infertile oh

if you are still having unprotected s.e x,you are not better than the op, stop throwing stones

3 Likes

Politics / Re: Aliyu Giwa Weds Oyinkan Affinnih (Photos) by 0gbeni(m): 7:21am On Sep 09, 2016
Lovely pictures..he's really laundering the battered image of the Nigerian police.
The real question is, how did he manage to afford a wedding as 'bam' as that? his salary?
Its easier for a camel to to thru the eye of the needle than for us to kick corruption out of Nigeria I guess

1 Like

Health / In Defence Of Nigerian Doctors by 0gbeni(m): 12:14pm On Aug 28, 2016
Been following different posts here about the incompetence of Nigerian doctors etc etc

This post is going to step on many toes so if you are easily offended OR IF YOU DON'T LIKE LONG POSTS, you should go no further.
Public perception of Nigerian doctors is probably at its lowest since independence and we’re regularly hung out to dry. This is perhaps a result of the increased health consciousness of many Nigerians which can only be a good thing. As you will find out however, most of these criticisms are unjustified. This negative perception is likely due to a lack of understanding of how medical practice works among the general populace and rather than an outright defence of doctors or health workers in general, I’ll try to do more of an enlightenment. And what better place to start than from the beginning.

Nigerian medical training has its flaws but it is safe to say it gives one of the best professional trainings in Nigeria. Unlike other courses like engineering where graduates complain of little to no practical experience, medical students in Nigeria spend a minimum of 3 years in the hospital. This is the clinical stage of their training.

The average graduate graduate from a Nigerian medical school can hold his own anywhere in the world and the easy adaptation of Nigerian doctors in overseas countries is evidence of that. However, that is not to say our medical training is perfect. Far from it. There is a lot that can be done to improve medical training in Nigeria. An awful lot. An indepth analysis of medical training in Nigeria will reveal a box of cankerworms, especially the conditions in which the students have to learn.

That being said, Nigerian medical schools churn out well trained and competent doctors on the average. But then, the system is not foolproof. A few “quacks” might still wiggle their way through but that is the exception rather than the rule.
If the deplorable conditions of the health system was limited to institutions of learning, it would have been manageable but the working conditions are even worse. The World Health Organization, WHO recommends a doctor-patient ratio of 1:600 but several sources put the ratio in Nigeria at about 1:30,000 and this will only worsen as more doctors flock abroad in search of a better life. It is not uncommon to hear people narrate stories of how an emergency was brought to the hospital and they didn’t receive medical attention for up to an hour. Most hospitals in Nigeria are grossly understaffed and generally overwhelmed. It is difficult to extract optimum performance from workers in such conditions.

As part of my internship program after medical school, I spent six months at the state hospital in Oyo town. It was an eye opening experience. I was nearly drained of all the enthusiasm I graduated from school with. We operated on patients with rechargeable lamps because of non existent power supply and unavailability of generator fuel. I donated blood for an accident victim because the blood bank had run out of blood. Despite all these, we get queries and extensions for little mistakes. Contrary to what most people think, there is a system that punishes health workers for misconduct and/or incompetence. That at least works.

From experience, I can confidently say that Nigerian hospitals save more lives than are lost. I won’t say the percentage of lives lost is insignificant because every life is important. However when the average person loses someone to what looks like medical incompetence or negligence, there is this temptation to make sweeping generalizations. I will be the first person to admit that there are incompetent doctors.

There are bad eggs in every profession. But really, they are in the minority. The blanket of quackery that is thrown over everybody is not deserved. The funny thing is that many of these quacks are not even doctors to start with. I see some referrals and I know that someone who spent a minimum of six years in medical school could not have written that. The number of people who masquerade as doctors in Nigeria is simply mind boggling. In the words of Agu of Beast of No Nation fame, “I saw terrible things” in Oyo town. Laboratory scientists running private hospitals and treating patients, scrub nurses performing major surgeries. I had heard of these things but I thought they only happened up north(apologies to my northern friends). I’m not trying to belittle other health workers. Afterall, I’ll probably embarrass myself trying to do their job. But when someone masquerades as a doctor and does a myomectomy that a gynecologist goes through five years of residency training to learn, you can only imagine the outcome. I once walked in on a “doctor” that came to give my dad home consultation. Turned out he was a laboratory scientist in UCH.

On the other hand, you can’t really blame these people for trying to cut corners to make ends meet. It is the fault of the medical authorities. Organizations like the Medical and Dental Council, MDCN and the Nigerian Medical Association, NMA are too busy fleecing doctors by increasing licensing fees yearly and fighting for increased renumeration instead of regulating the activities of hospitals in Nigeria.

Another blame is is commonly ascribed to Nigerian doctors is misdiagnosis. Misdiagnosis is actually real and it occurs everywhere in the world. The reason is that medicine like every other science, is always evolving and is prone to imperfections. In the US, only cancer and heart diseases account for more in-hospital deaths than misdiagnosis. It is not peculiar to Nigeria.

However, what most people on the street see as misdiagnosis is not what really obtains.
Doctors are not magicians. We rely on questioning and clinical examination to make a diagnosis. Most of the time however, this is rarely enough because different diseases present with symptoms which are similar and overlap each other. History taking and examination helps you to arrive at a provisional diagnosis, or multiple differential diagnoses. This is where laboratory investigations come into play. They help to clinch the diagnosis. However, apart from the basic investigations, most people cannot afford investigations required. Doctors then have to make do with their provisional diagnosis. The absence of a functioning health insurance scheme is mostly to blame. Patients bear the brunt of everything. Claims of free health care in Oyo state for example is just propaganda by the government. The only thing you don’t pay for is the bed you sleep on. You pay for everything. Gloves, syringes and needles, plasters and even fuel sometimes. Even in emergency situations. There are no emergency kits in government hospitals in Oyo state. That is a fact. A cranial CT scan costs about 45,000 naira. We all know what the minimum wage is. A son of a farmer falls from a tree and hits his head. How do you order a CT scan when he can’t even afford to buy drugs? You have to rely on the symptoms and manage accordingly. Most hypertensives in Nigeria can’t afford a chest Xray not to talk of an ECG.

Sometimes when you order these tests, the patient even thinks you want to scam him or her.
Imagine a patient who is being treated bases on a working diagnosis of tuberculosis because he cannot afford required investigations. A rich son in law comes into the picture, flies him abroad and tests carried out reveal he has lung cancer. Both doctors know these diseases mimic each other but the layman will go to town with stories of how Nigerian doctors cannot diagnose cancer. You’d be surprised at how uncanny the resemblance between congestive heart failure and an asthmatic attack is. Little wonder doctors sometimes use the term “cardiac asthma”.
It is also important to note that even if a patient does all the avalanche of tests, diagnosis can sometimes be tricky. Because of the variation in symptoms at different stages of a disease, the diagnosis might only be clinched as the disease progresses and in some instances, it might even change. Case in point ovarian cancer. Early symptoms are usually vague, sometimes absent and unlike cervical cancer, there are still no accurate screening techniques for early diagnosis of ovarian cancer worldwide. Hence the late diagnosis in most cases.

This is not to say that Nigerian doctors don’t misdiagnose patients. Poor record keeping is a bane of our society as a whole but misdiagnosed cases probably occur more often in Nigeria than in the West. If you suspect that your doctor doesn’t know what he is doing, please run far away or better still, seek a second opinion. Some doctors are very clueless. But the notion that Nigerian doctors don’t know jack can’t be farther from the truth. If it were true, doctors won’t be migrating in droves to places where the threat of litigation is very real.
The reason why Nigerian doctors get the lion share of the blame for an ailing health care system is not far fetched though. Many Nigerians need a scapegoat when something goes wrong.

There must always be a villain. Perhaps it’s a coping mechanism for grief or maybe it helps us to achieve closure.

You can’t curse the system neither can you slander the poor insurance scheme. So the doctor has to fill the gap. He is the focal point. The pillar that represents Shaytan that we stone on pilgrimage.

This post is not meant to exonerate Nigerian doctors from all misdeeds or paint them as saintly. Far from it, doctors in Nigeria have a lot to improve upon, particularly in the area of professionalism and relationship with patients.

Many doctors have a poor attitude towards work because of the less than ideal working conditions and because they know the check and balance system can be easily circumvented.

Overall though, doctors in Nigeria give their best despite the prevailing circumstances and they deserve better than the short thrift they get from the public. Afterall, it is teachers that get their reward in heaven.
*drops mic*

source : https://thedreamreaper./2016/08/28/in-defence-of-nigerian-doctors/

1 Like

Politics / Re: EFCC To Seize Diezani’s Assets In America by 0gbeni(m): 6:10pm On Aug 24, 2016
Osyabj:
jonathan and pdp will go down in History as the MOST corrupt criminal organization in the history of the planet. Yet suppoters of these theives are wailing..."people are hungry, dying"

If 170 million Nigerians were to share this $10 Billion dollars or $2 Trillion Naira theft by this pdp/jonathan front, Ms Maduake, alone, all of us will get about N2,000,000,000.00 (Two billion naira) each!!! will there still be hunger in the land? ofcourse not!!!

lol.. man you need a maths teacher..

1 Like

Culture / Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by 0gbeni(m): 12:59pm On Jul 23, 2016
so sad
Career / Re: The Role Of Nurses In The Nigerian Healthcare System by 0gbeni(m): 3:38pm On Jul 20, 2016
Another nauseating post.. why can't nurses stay on their lane and stop this needless competition, a team cares for the client/patient and everybody has an important role, be proud of your job for once and stop dragging other professionals in the mud

funny thing is, when their relations get sick, they usually see the right professionals for consultation and treatment ....let these people misinform you at your own risk!

e go better

1 Like

Car Talk / Re: What's The Oldest Car You've Driven by 0gbeni(m): 7:18am On Jul 18, 2016
my mum's old Benz 1978 w123
Sports / Re: Demba Ba Suffers 'possible Career Ending' Injury by 0gbeni(m): 4:29am On Jul 18, 2016
damn 😢
Sports / Re: Demba Ba Suffers Horrific Leg Break/pictures by 0gbeni(m): 4:28am On Jul 18, 2016
damn
Education / Re: JAMB Registra Clears Air On Universities Screening And Mode Of Admission by 0gbeni(m): 4:21am On Jul 18, 2016
mtshew
Phones / Re: Pokemon Go: Only For The Brave In Lagos by 0gbeni(m): 4:19am On Jul 18, 2016
interesting
Science/Technology / Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by 0gbeni(m): 5:43am On Jul 07, 2016
Nigerians will kill and eat anything.. wtf, no sense for conservation at all
btw whales and dolphins are said to contain high levels of mercury, if you eat and have mercury toxicity.. Na oyo u dey

1 Like

Celebrities / Re: Nedu Grabs Kiki Omeili On TV, Fans React by 0gbeni(m): 1:38pm On Jun 25, 2016
floragregs:
This Kiki is actually a medical doctor oooo,. How do you ditch practising medicine for acting? Love for art or what? undecided
when they are paying doctors peanuts nko?
Car Talk / Re: 11 Things VIO (vehicle Inspection Officers) Will Check To Determine If Your Car by 0gbeni(m): 6:42am On Jun 25, 2016
nice thread
Health / Re: Mad Man In Calabar Parking Refuse Off Major Road by 0gbeni(m): 9:11pm On Jun 17, 2016
wooow smiley ..the tragedy is that this man can get better with drugs(esp antipsychotics) and other supportive therapy...a number of people who were roaming the streets have been seen and managed in our center with good results
Health / Re: The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad by 0gbeni(m): 4:01am On Jun 15, 2016
The average Nigerian does not care about the poor state of our hospitals until he/a relative has to make use of the facilities.. we are in trouble oh! an emergency should be declared in our health sector.

Its funny seeing civil servants who don't do their jobs etc etc complain about health workers having an attitudinal problem. una no dey different na, we need a reorientation!

Almost every person on this thread threw darts at doctors and nurses forgetting the number cause of the problem - the government..the government should employ more hands, buy equipment, and improve the pay ..doctors earn peanuts

I've seen a number of doctors collapse-sometimes during surgeries .I've seen units where due to the paucity of hands, a doctor will be on call EVERY DAY for the month.. is this not madness?

And by the way, a lot of private centers have FAR BETTER imaging facilities compared to public hospitals eg MeCuRe.. its a real tragedy

I hope the campaign generates a buzz and much needed action from the government

1 Like

Literature / Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by 0gbeni(m): 3:41pm On Jun 07, 2016
“ Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter--tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning-- So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. F. Scott Fitzgerald , The Great Gatsby

1 Like

Phones / Re: MTN Customer Care Thread by 0gbeni(m): 7:55pm On May 31, 2016
JideSM:
Checks show that the data bundle was returned back to your line on the 17th of May. Please confirm.

it wasn't and has not been returned
Crime / Re: Thomas Adekoya-Cole, LUTH Doctor Killed In Ogun, Shortly After Being Kidnapped by 0gbeni(m): 6:20pm On May 29, 2016
May his soul RIP.. if he had stayed back in the UK, he would probably still be alive now.. what a joke of a country

I still can't make sense of the story though.. Nigerian bloggers and editors abeg step up your game
Phones / Re: MTN Customer Care Thread by 0gbeni(m): 6:27pm On May 27, 2016
JideSM:
Sincere apologies 0gbeni. Checks show that you still have 678MB left of your data. Please specify the date it was wiped out for assistance.

it was wiped out on the 15th of May 2016
Phones / Re: MTN Customer Care Thread by 0gbeni(m): 11:16pm On May 22, 2016
Good evening, my 3. 1Gb was wiped out last Sunday, been calling but all i hear is that the technical department will look into it, this is my phone number 08060601386 thanks
Phones / Re: MTN Rip-off by 0gbeni(m): 11:13pm On May 22, 2016
Funny people, my 3. 1Gb was wiped off 2 weeks ago, I've called but na excuses i just they get, maybe their technical dept will refund me, maybe they won't.. called the ncc too

saddest part is that other networks are thrash here, so I'm effectively bound to mtn.. pot of beans country!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (of 7 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.