Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,255 members, 7,957,628 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:06 PM

London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? (53037 Views)

‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West / 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony Pictures / London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by coogar: 5:02pm On Jul 28, 2012
Iyfe Namikaze:
boyle's brilliance ended when the towers where erected. Every other thing that follows was shit! They were just every where. No cordination, it was like watching a disco party.

that is because you did not understand what they were doing. after the towers came the nhs(gosh). rubbing it in the faces of america and others that health is wealth, health is free. then boyle was at his brilliant best when he played alll the tv programmes from the dark ages till now.......then the "abide with me" rendition at the end? what's not to like about the ceremony?

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by tinkinjo: 5:06pm On Jul 28, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
Beijing . London is just overly hyped.

London isn't hyped. Even the Brits know it is incomparable to Beijing.
I was so disappointed!
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jul 28, 2012
coogar:
that is because you did not understand what they were doing. after the towers came the nhs(gosh). rubbing it in the faces of america and others that health is wealth, health is free. then boyle was at his brilliant best when he played ball all the tv programmes from the dark ages till now.......then the "abide with me" rendition at the end? what's not to like about the ceremony?

The same 'NHS' that's about to be privatized?

And why should it always be about competing with the Yanks, when we all know we follow the yanks like dog - and the last time I checked, the last Olympics was in China, not yanks..

And they spent far more time on the American team yesterday than they did on team GBR smh... I know the yanks are somewhere laughing their arses off at their puppets.. grin
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Afam4eva(m): 5:08pm On Jul 28, 2012
shymmex:

Lmaoooo...

Where are the medals going to come from? sad

I see a medal coming from Taekwendo courtesy Chukwumerike(son of the senator).

I also think some silver and bronze medals will come from the track and field events especially in the relays. It will be surprising to see Okagbare win the Gold in the track and field because I don't think the Jamaicans and Americans came to london for sight seeing.

But Nigerians such as Obikwelu, Idowu and Christine Ohurougu will likely win medals for Portugal and Britrain rrespectively.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by tinkinjo: 5:08pm On Jul 28, 2012
cheddarking:

How so?

You need not ask this if you've been watching opening ceremonies

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Afam4eva(m): 5:08pm On Jul 28, 2012
shymmex:

Lmaoooo...

Where are the medals going to come from? sad

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by BABE3: 5:09pm On Jul 28, 2012
coogar:

i can understand why colour lovers preferred beijing---but to put down the history of an entire kingdom as rubbish is mind-boggling. If you didn't understand what boyle did, ask questions don't criticise!

It's not even about the culture thing. Most people watching yesterday understood what the 4uck was going on; british history. Nothing bad in showcasing that. In fact, it was expected. But at least, it needed to be interesting and put together. China showcased their culture in a way that grasped people's interest. London's was taken too lightly.

It didn't feel like an olympics opening ceremony for most parts. For goodness's sake, I saw Justin Beiber on my screen. WHY? Some random arse kids moving about. . Lord Voldemort was at the damn ceremony with his wand. Your queen fell from the clouds. It seemed more like an ill-planned circus to me. grin

3 Likes

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Irunmole(m): 5:09pm On Jul 28, 2012
London was the most arty-farty useless nonsense that i've seen of any olympic opening ceremonies, save for part depicting the NHS and the cauldron being lit. Beijing was far better in showcasing the best of China in all its cultural glory and splendour. I actually got bored watching it after less than an hour, but trust the Brits to big-up their woeful rubbish.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jul 28, 2012
tinkinjo:

London isn't hyped. Even the Brits know it is incomparable to Beijing.
I was so disappointed!

That was why they went for the 'simplistic' version - because they know they can't compete with the Chinese..

People need to be objective, Beijing still remains the best ever..

I admire Chinese people..
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 28, 2012
afam4eva:
I see a medal coming from Taekwendo courtesy Chukwumerike(son of the senator).

I also think some silver and bronze medals will come from the track and field events especially in the relays. It will be surprising to see Okagbare win the Gold in the track and field because I don't think the Jamaicans and Americans came to london for sight seeing.

But Nigerians such as Obikwelu, Idowu and Christine Ohurougu will likely win medals for Portugal and Britrain rrespectively.

Idowu is injured, and it seems Ohurougu peaked at the right time - she should be able to win a medal for team GBR.

We should be able to win a bronze medal in the relays - and the Okagbare chic should get us a medal as well..
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Irunmole(m): 5:13pm On Jul 28, 2012
London was the most arty-farty useless nonsense that i've seen of any olympic opening ceremonies, save for the part depicting the NHS and the cauldron being lit. Beijing was far better in showcasing the best of China in all its cultural glory and splendour. I actually got bored watching it after less than an hour, but trust the Brits to big-up their woeful rubbish.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by OmoTier1(m): 5:13pm On Jul 28, 2012
If no be Chinko, who else? I thought last night was an event full of 'over do's .... Like we know the Brits for Please do not compare it with Beijing -4th Dimension ceremony, breathe taken, full of WoW moment! Me be wan even sue he Chinko for causing long neck wink
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by SisiKill1: 5:14pm On Jul 28, 2012
coogar:

this is what i would expect an illiterate to say.....so you couldn't grasp the fact that danny boyle presented the history of england from the middle earth(the shire) to the industrial revolution way down to the 21st century in less than 3 hours?

i can understand why colour lovers preferred beijing---but to put down the history of an entire kingdom as rubbish is mind-boggling. If you didn't understand what boyle did, ask questions don't criticise!

and it's not like the country you come from can muster any effort - Nigerians and their criticisms make me laugh!

Okay Coogar, Whatever you say Coogar

Hehehehehehe cheesy cheesy
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 28, 2012
Irunmole: London was the most arty-farty useless nonsense that i've seen of any olympic opening ceremonies, save for the part depicting the NHS and the cauldron being lit. Beijing was far better in showcasing the best of China in all its cultural glory and splendour. I actually got bored watching it after less than an hour, but trust the Brits to big-up their woeful rubbish.

Thank you!!

I don't even know why some people think James Bond and Beatles = British culture...

James Bond = MI6..

Beatles = Rock and Roll (African American culture).

Where was the 'originality'?

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by buzugee(m): 5:17pm On Jul 28, 2012
coogar:

this is what i would expect an illiterate to say.....so you couldn't grasp the fact that danny boyle presented the history of england from the middle earth(the shire) to the industrial revolution way down to the 21st century in less than 3 hours?

and it's not like the country you come from can muster any effort - Nigerians and their criticisms make me laugh!
so you expect us to laud a hostory of savagery and theft and colonialism and racism and genocide of ethnic peoples and slavery and land stealing ? colonial mentality dey worry you no be small. may i suggest a lobotomy ? grin

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by coogar: 5:17pm On Jul 28, 2012
shymmex:
The same 'NHS' that's about to be privatized?

that's exactly the point....slapping the tories on their own turf, absolutely brilliant!

And why should it always be about competing with the Yanks, when we all know we follow the yanks like dog - and the last time I checked, the last Olympics was in China, not yanks.

your forefathers conquered theirs, they speak your language and yet you are the follower who happens to be a dog? the mind boggles.....

And they spent far more time on the American team yesterday than they did on team GBR smh... I know the yanks are somewhere laughing their arses off at their puppets.. grin

the yanks would wish they have such history apart from the union/confederates nonsense history. millions of them troop in every year to see the buckingham palace every month!
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 28, 2012
Beijing!!

Still can't get my mind over the mess of an opening I watched last night.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 28, 2012
buzugee: so you expect us to laud a hostory of savagery and theft and colonialism and racism and genocide of ethnic peoples and slavery ? colonial mentality dey worry you no be small. may i suggest a lobotomy ? grin

What's good my Hebrew Israelite, bruddah? grin grin

Yahweh and Yeshua!! cool
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by r231(m): 5:20pm On Jul 28, 2012
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by ANYPEN(m): 5:22pm On Jul 28, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Boyle. . .God love 'em, was trying to do too much!!! undecided

On the other hand, I can't blame him too much. . .you gotta have something to work with and I believe if anything, the opening ceremony last night showed us that The Brits don't have a culture.

A lot of people are just responding to the familiar. . .Mr. Bean, Bond and The Queen. Take those 3 elements away and what do you have. . .NONSENSE!!

How can you take the three away when it is theirs abi na nigeria get bond, bean or the queen?

It may be very difficult for you to understand what the Brits did in that ceremony cause they simply gave you not just entertainment but education using their best in human & products that have British origin.

If you call that nonsense, It shows you lack understanding.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by buzugee(m): 5:24pm On Jul 28, 2012
shymmex:

What's good my Hebrew Israelite, bruddah? grin grin

Yahweh and Yeshua!! cool
just shooting the breeze my egyptology brother . HOTEP grin grin
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by coogar: 5:24pm On Jul 28, 2012
BABE!:

It's not even about the culture thing. Most people watching yesterday understood what the 4uck was going on; british history. Nothing bad in showcasing that. In fact, it was expected. But at least, it needed to be interesting and put together. China showcased their culture in a way that grasp people's interest. London's was taken too lightly.

It didn't feel like an olympics opening ceremony for most parts. For goodness's sake, I saw Justin Beiber on my screen. WHY? Some random arse kids moving about. . Lord Voldemort was at the damn ceremony with his wand. Your queen fell from the clouds. It seemed more like an ill-planned circus to me. grin

showcasing their pop culture and reminding the world that social networking has come to stay. what were you expecting? hundreds of kids running with dye colours and running helter-skelter? you saw the beatles, rowan atkinson, 007, harry porter and mary poppins....what else do you need to see?
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 28, 2012
BABE!:

It's not even about the culture thing. Most people watching yesterday understood what the 4uck was going on; british history. Nothing bad in showcasing that. In fact, it was expected. But at least, it needed to be interesting and put together. China showcased their culture in a way that grasp people's interest. London's was taken too lightly.

When I saw the queen parachuting from a helicopter,I was like WOW! What the Zap! Still laughing each time I imagine that. grin grin grin
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by SisiKill1: 5:25pm On Jul 28, 2012
My favorite part of Last Night's Ceremony - Paul Mcthany urging everyone to sing a song only people. . .no wait, only BRITS from the late 60s and early 70s know. Yeah, twas fun seeing the perplexed look on people's faces when he kept saying "Sing, Sing! Now just the men! Sing, Sing, Now the Ladies, Sing, Sing". cheesy cheesy

Poor Brits, living off of its past glory. cry cry

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by buzugee(m): 5:25pm On Jul 28, 2012
lets sum up englands efforts yesterday in one word----- PANTOMIME.
credit worthy if it was a show on the peers of blackpool but disgraceful for a world event.

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by kael: 5:27pm On Jul 28, 2012
Beijing: I will rule the world soon
London: I onced ruled the world [size=15pt][/size][color=#990000][/color]

2 Likes

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Irunmole(m): 5:27pm On Jul 28, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Beijing!!

Still can't get my mind over the mess of an opening I watched last night.

Thank you! A real mess it was. Disappointing as well.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by coogar: 5:28pm On Jul 28, 2012
buzugee: so you expect us to laud a hostory of savagery and theft and colonialism and racism and genocide of ethnic peoples and slavery and land stealing ? colonial mentality dey worry you no be small. may i suggest a lobotomy ? grin

coming from a citizen of a country where savagery, genocide, modern day slavery, looting, kidnapping and political violence are the order of the day, i find this particular post above amusing.

i find it difficult to put the words log, speck, eye and remove in a sentence to bury you. Buzugee, over to you to do the honours and get yourself into a psych-evaluation program to cure your dementia!

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Afam4eva(m): 5:32pm On Jul 28, 2012
Pls when will Aba or Oshogbo host the olympics?
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by qwe123: 5:33pm On Jul 28, 2012
really dude, have u seen the bejing olympics. The Bejing op showed history with the history of china, Confucius(philospopher)quotes, and inventions. It showed the past with modern technology to capture the eyes of the people and to both show culture and modernization of china as it is a growing economy and becoming a leading country to the world stage.
cocoduck: beijing was like playing a video game while london was going historical and mr bond the queen mary poppins harry potter the beatles etc they want to tell tell the world their history. the chinkos only wanted all to know that they have made it i dont even take anything from forbes serious

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by buzugee(m): 5:33pm On Jul 28, 2012
coogar:

coming from a citizen of a country where savagery, genocide, modern day slavery, looting, kidnapping and political violence are the order of the day, i find this particular post above amusing.

i find it difficult to put the words log, speck, eye and remove in a sentence to bury you. Buzugee, over to you to do the honours and get yourself into a psych-evaluation program to cure your dementia!
cant help were i was born. but i am not deluded enough, like yourself, to classify a pantomime show as a world class event. grin grin bruh you gotta admit, britain is finished. the people are stodgy pretentious bores living on past glory. the show yesterday encompassed this point.

2 Likes

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by SisiKill1: 5:34pm On Jul 28, 2012
Lawd-a-Mercy!!! cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Eats On The Rug (Photo) / Chukwuebuka Enekwechi Washes His Only Jersey After Reaching The Olympic finals / Tyson Fury Defeats Deontay Wilder In Thrilling Fight With Five Knockdowns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.