Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,799 members, 7,817,309 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:56 AM

Why Is UK So Expensive??? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Is UK So Expensive??? (29242 Views)

10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? / Why Are Tickets So Expensive In And Outside Of Nigeria This December? / Why Is UK Visa So Expensive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by r231(m): 10:16pm On Jul 29, 2012
buzugee: grin grin let me find out you are a regular at billinsgate fish market grin grin

I love my food so i dont see any crime in that
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by buzugee(m): 10:20pm On Jul 29, 2012
dustydee:
same thing happens back home, just that at home it is done in darkness and the chickens are placed on ice blocks rather than in freezers
yeah but the astounding fact is that you can get all these things cut up nicely in small packets from tesco, sainsburys, morrisons, asda or marks and spencer. but nooooooo these fools want live goats and agric chicken *smh*
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by r231(m): 10:23pm On Jul 29, 2012
buzugee: yeah but the astounding fact is that you can get all these things cut up nicely in small packets from tesco, sainsburys, morrisons, asda or marks and spencer. but nooooooo these fools want live goats and agric chicken *smh*

dude where in the world did u see live goat in UK undecided undecided

please tell me
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by horny4u(f): 10:32pm On Jul 29, 2012
buzugee: yeah but the astounding fact is that you can get all these things cut up nicely in small packets from tesco, sainsburys, morrisons, asda or marks and spencer. but nooooooo these fools want live goats and agric chicken *smh*

I live in beautiful southwest England but I order my smoked goat head, hard chicken, pomo, shin meat etc online. I envy those that can go to all this markets o. No shame in loving my food...Tesco only just started selling gari, beans and malt and Morrison okro and rodo...in the past they were not catering for the minority market so ....
Lets not over posh ourselves I shop at waitrose alot because they have high quality organic food but someone needs to cater for my ogiri needs and if loving my food makes me backward....oh well!
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by onatisi(m): 10:34pm On Jul 29, 2012
seedord247: I thought the oyo lawmakers wife said UK is cheapest country they have ever being too. grin grin
becos they didnt spend a dime of their money everything was paid for nd they were given allowances on top of all expenses paid
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jul 29, 2012
stagger:

Spot on. I don't even know why people go to the UK. Why don't they simply come to Abuja and live? The city is at least comparable to some of these major cities in the world and things work to a large extent in Abj.
. We can't denial the fact that we lack basics amenities in my beloved country called nigeria!!! As a student, what does nigeria have to offer you? Is it the poor structure of our university halls? Or the corruption in every aspect in the country? Or maybe the security concerns in this country? Well the answer is simply, NO!!! Nigeria is not the GIANTS of africa but the giANTS of africa!!!
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by buzugee(m): 10:45pm On Jul 29, 2012
horny4u:

I live in beautiful southwest England but I order my smoked goat head, hard chicken, pomo, shin meat etc online. I envy those that can go to all this markets o. No shame in loving my food...Tesco only just started selling gari, beans and malt and Morrison okro and rodo...in the past they were not catering for the minority market so ....
Lets not over posh ourselves I shop at waitrose alot because they have high quality organic food but someone needs to cater for my ogiri needs and if loving my food makes me backward....oh well!
this aint even about poshing. all those things you mentioned ? i have stopped eating because of the inconvenience of it all. hey in tesco get meat, get canned tomato puree, get dry pepper, oil and fresh spinach. then get cornmeal or semolina. then get orange juice or ginger beer. what else do you need ? why do you feel like you need smoked goat head and pomo and shin meat and all the other stuff you mentioned ? all that is unnecessary. you eat to live, you dont live to eat.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by itimi(m): 10:47pm On Jul 29, 2012
its only a nigerian dat can complain about expensive the.but i belive d wite dont.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jul 29, 2012
buzugee: by good job i hope you mean anything over £100,000 per annum. anything less than that and you are struggling in the uk. you may have little disposable income but trust me you are not balling.

shyttt i was earning close to that once. first of all my agency opened up a limited company for me that i work through. then the agency uses an umbrella company that does the income. when the agency and umbrella company done steal my money finish, next is taxman. when you earn that much you are on a higher tax bracket. so tax man will rip you a new azzhole. then next is on these assignments i am all over britain and you pay your own hotel fees. when you are not at home you eat and drink more. etc etc. lets just say 100 grand has a way of turning to 0 grand easily. anything less than that, unless you are sending the money to naija, you aint balling oooooooo.

I guess much depends on your lifestyle. I am repeating myself. With a descent job, you don't have to struggle. I have underwritten loans for both regular customers and private banking clients in one of my previous job roles.

I have seen police constables earning just 3,500 per month leaving well on that salary with enough free income to play around with and a fat savings accounts (Usually Bonds). No commitments than regular bills and all mortgage paid off. They are contempt with what they have and cut their coats according to their size.

I have also seen business executives earning 15,000 per month struggling with debts from credit cards and store cards and won't even get a 30,000 loan due to commitments and expensive lifestyle. High risk clients even though their earning power is high.

So, much depends on your lifestyle.

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by buzugee(m): 10:53pm On Jul 29, 2012
saxywale:

I guess much depends on your lifestyle. I am repeating myself. With a descent job, you don't have to struggle. I have underwritten loans for both regular customers and private banking clients in one of my previous job roles.

I have seen police constables earning just 3,500 per month leaving well on that salary with enough free income to play around with and a fat savings accounts (Usually Bonds). No commitments than regular bills and all mortgage paid off. They are contempt with what they have and cut their coats according to their size.

I have also seen business executives earning 15,000 per month struggling with debts from credit cards and store cards and won't even get a 30,000 loan due to commitments and expensive lifestyle. High risk clients even though their earning power is high.

So, much depends on your lifestyle.
you know what i have found out about money ? the more you earn the more you spend.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 29, 2012

Guy, you funny ooo.lolz.
You know, I could get 1 polybag size of beaf at the local Manchester abattoir just for 10quids, then I can call friends for a barbecue. That same 10quids in Tesco is just going to get me some miserable thin beaf, that won't even fill a pure water sachet. So I don't see why I should buy some stuff in Tesco or M&S, they just total rip off.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jul 29, 2012
saxywale:

Guy, you funny ooo.lolz.
You know, I could get 1 polybag size of beaf at the local Manchester abattoir just for 10quids, then I can call friends for a barbecue. That same 10quids in Tesco is just going to get me some miserable thin beaf, that won't even fill a pure water sachet. So I don't see why I should buy some stuff in Tesco or M&S, they just total rip off.
What is wrong with you men and food items, have the role of men changed to those of women in the UK ?
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jul 29, 2012
buzugee: you know what i have found out about money ? the more you earn the more you spend.

Applies to a lot of people but there are exceptions. Some people would rather bank all those money and will it to their cats when they die.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by buzugee(m): 11:05pm On Jul 29, 2012
saxywale:

Guy, you funny ooo.lolz.
thats bull bruh. in tescos i get meat for like £5 and it lasts me like 1 week. its in those white plasticky things and it is cut into cubes and you get about 30 or 40 cubes of beaf for like 2 pounds. dunno what tesco you been going to bruh but 5 pound meat will last me nicely.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jul 29, 2012
Billyonaire: What is wrong with you men and food items, have the role of men changed to those of women in the UK ?

LMAO. You can say that again. All those cost cutting measures where picked up from uni when life was so hard but as they say, Old habits die hard.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by brownlord: 11:06pm On Jul 29, 2012
chucky234: Guy how many of them don come back come build house buy car,shut your gutter before I shut am for you oooo

dey there dey dull yourself, hungry go kill u
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by buzugee(m): 11:07pm On Jul 29, 2012
saxywale:

Applies to a lot of people but there are exceptions. Some people would rather bank all those money and will it to their cats when they die.
grin grin grin yeah this woman willed 10 million to her dog in new york.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by buzugee(m): 11:08pm On Jul 29, 2012
Billyonaire: What is wrong with you men and food items, have the role of men changed to those of women in the UK ?
right grin grin grin men in skirts lolz
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jul 29, 2012
buzugee: thats bull bruh. in tescos i get meat for like £5 and it lasts me like 1 week. its in those white plasticky things and it is cut into cubes and you get about 30 or 40 cubes of beaf for like 2 pounds. dunno what tesco you been going to bruh but 5 pound meat will last me nicely.

5pounds Tesco meat for a week! OMG! Now that's new to me. Hope you checked the expiry date though grin
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jul 29, 2012
buzugee: right grin grin grin men in skirts lolz
Guy, try and educate those men please. Please help me educate them to stay off "3 full Goats", "big bags of garri" etc. These are women's job. Please bro, I beg you in the name of God. Teach those men the way of real Nigerian men. Because, they could come back to Nigeria to misbehave with food not remembering the dictatorial responsibilities of Nigerian men. Chei !
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by buzugee(m): 11:16pm On Jul 29, 2012
saxywale:

5pounds Tesco meat for a week! OMG! Now that's new to me. Hope you checked the expiry date though grin
oh its fresh meat bruh. trust lol. i dont eat meat like 3 times a day you see. i also like eating things like waffles, potatos and egg, bread and humous etc etc. so yeah i dont eat meat morning afternoon and night. maybe thats why it lasts a week. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jul 29, 2012
buzugee: oh its fresh meat bruh. trust lol. i dont eat meat like 3 times a day you see. i also like eating things like waffles, potatos and egg, bread and humous etc etc. so yeah i dont eat meat morning afternoon and night. maybe thats why it lasts a week. grin
Chei, you sef follow ? What is wrong with UK men and food ?
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by aribisala0(m): 11:18pm On Jul 29, 2012
To say one is cheaper than the other you must compare like with like
Makoko and VI are not the same neither are Peckham and Chelsea. If you travel to Nigeria from the UK and you want to stay in a decent hotel,use a mobile phone,internet,cable TV,buy a car electronics,buy comparable clothes,"provisions",go Nightclubbing etc you will find Nigeria several times more expensive. Petrol is cheaper but you will need to run a generator and if you fall sick you pay out of your pocket!!
Rent comparisons are meaningless because all the examples here are isolated are they the mean median or what?? Besides no one will ask you to pay FIVE YEARS
I believe taxis are more expensive if you compare like for like e.g AC taxi from Leeds to Heathrow £300 about 75000 probably distance of Lagos to Benin.
So, expensive depends on which specific products/service you consume as an individual.
we have different tastes/priorities.
Personally I think Nigeria ie Lagos and PH are more expensive
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by buzugee(m): 11:20pm On Jul 29, 2012
Billyonaire: Guy, try and educate those men please. Please help me educate them to stay off "3 full Goats", "big bags of garri" etc. These are women's job. Please bro, I beg you in the name of God. Teach those men the way of real Nigerian men. Because, they could come back to Nigeria to misbehave with food not remembering the dictatorial responsibilities of Nigerian men. Chei !
grin grin grin grin nah i keep a wide berth from such men. such men always have police spying them. you know someone who is passionate about food to the extent of sharing whole goats in london is also almost always a bank fraudster. you know the type ? always looking for chekere and banky and natty and laide grin
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by r231(m): 11:25pm On Jul 29, 2012
buzugee: grin grin grin grin nah i keep a wide berth from such men. such men always have police spying them. you know someone who is passionate about food to the extent of sharing whole goats in london is also almost always a bank fraudster. you know they type ? always looking for chekere and banky and natty and laide grin

Really undecided undecided
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by buzugee(m): 11:26pm On Jul 29, 2012
Billyonaire: Chei, you sef follow ? What is wrong with UK men and food ?
grin grin naija men and food as a whole. its a disturbing pattern i have noticed. especially if you go to nigerian restaurant in the uk. you see men sweating like runaway slaves while eating. beads of sweat forming all over their bald heads and foreheads and all over their body. then while chewing they simultaneously are wiping the beads of sweat with their hanky while using the other hand to loosen their belt. quite a hilarious sight really, and an ecstatic look on their faces as they chew grin grin naija too like food sef. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 29, 2012
buzugee: grin grin naija men and food as a whole. its a disturbing pattern i have noticed. especially if you go to nigerian restaurant in the uk. you see men sweating like runaway slaves while eating. beads of sweat forming all over their bald heads and foreheads and all over their body. then while chewing they simultaneously are wiping the beads of sweat with their hanky while using the other hand to loosen their belt. quite a hilarious sight really, and an ecstatic look on their faces as they chew grin grin naija too like food sef. grin
hAhahahahahaha, my stomach is paining me from laughter, I can visualize them with the description you painted. Have you considered a career in movie script writing? Oh my God....I dont wanna laugh no more...
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 11:34pm On Jul 29, 2012
Sorry to interrupt this facinating discussion but I have a question and this could be me totally misunderstanding the issue here so please bear with me.

From what I understand 3 families come together to buy goat, now I don't know how much a live goat is in the UK but knowing a little about Econiomics, I can safely say the stores usually make ten times more than the original price of the goat.

So if these 3 familes decide to buy the goat and share it in three parts, it goes without saying that they will be getting infinitely more than what they would have gotten had they gone to a regular store.

How did this become something NOT to do?

Please what exactly is wrong in buying things in bulk?

And why must one forgo what they like to eat just because it is not sold in the "regular, more acceptable" stores?

Again, please feel free to correct me if I am misunderstanding the issue. To be honest, I am hoping it is me who has lost the plot somehow because. . .well because I don't wanna live in Bizzaro world. embarassed embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Idowuogbo(f): 11:37pm On Jul 29, 2012
buzugee: grin grin naija men and food as a whole. its a disturbing pattern i have noticed. especially if you go to nigerian restaurant in the uk. you see men sweating like runaway slaves while eating. beads of sweat forming all over their bald heads and foreheads and all over their body. then while chewing they simultaneously are wiping the beads of sweat with their hanky while using the other hand to loosen their belt. quite a hilarious sight really, and an ecstatic look on their faces as they chew grin grin naija too like food sef. grin
Lmaoo!!!!

U sure no our people. grin
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by r231(m): 11:39pm On Jul 29, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Sorry to interrupt this facinating discussion but I have a question and this could be me totally misunderstanding the issue here so please bear with me.

From what I understand 3 families come together to buy goat, now I don't know how much a live goat is in the UK but knowing a little about Econiomics, I can safely say the stores usually make ten times more than the original price of the goat.

So if these 3 familes decide to buy the goat and share it in three parts, it goes without saying that they will be getting infinitely more than what they would have gotten had they gone to a regular store.

How did this become something NOT to do?

Please what exactly is wrong in buying things in bulk?

And why must one forgo what they like to eat just because it is not sold in the "regular, more acceptable" stores?

Again, please feel free to correct me if I am misunderstanding the issue. To be honest, I am hoping it is me who lost the plot somehow because. . .well because I don't wanna live in Bizzaro world. embarassed embarassed

God Bless you

Btw the sharing thing is not even about the price, the quantity and it takes forever to finish so why would I want to buy a whole one

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

U.S Army Helicopter Crashes With 8 Soldiers On Board In Japan (Photos) / Nigerians Living In India - How Is The Life Over There? / Accident At Aba Claims Lives As A Container Fell On A Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.