Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,954 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:29 AM

Why Is UK So Expensive??? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Is UK So Expensive??? (29227 Views)

10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? / Why Are Tickets So Expensive In And Outside Of Nigeria This December? / Why Is UK Visa So Expensive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by r231(m): 5:33pm On Jul 29, 2012
kingoflag:

See? I knew you've never lived outside your village, no wonder you had to ask that question. Keep deceiving yourself that you "returned" to Nigeria. smh

Oya, Laptop #37, go and man your station, I heard some people are planning to attack GEJ online again.

Hahahahaha

grin grin grin grin grin

kingoflag:

Manhattan?! lmao u wan die?

You're talking $5500 or better to live out here. Some places here go for as much as $40,000/month.

U never hear nothing yet.

I am just trying to help him out since he didn't know that apartment cost that much in New York grin
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by 9jauk: 5:39pm On Jul 29, 2012
billionaire...u must be a daft all fingers are not equal remember d fact dat u seek for a loan from Mr.A,doesn't me is not an acheiver in Uk;is shameful though thr is no place like home,Nigerian leaders ruin d nation,@ a point i thought of my unborn kids and i reflected on 9ja as a failed state;i'd to take to my hills an i chose to relocate to Uk;God is good my kids are guaranteed a bright future in Jesus name;dey ve got red P,i leave outside london,posh and much cheaper dan over priced propertiez in london.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by dridowu: 5:39pm On Jul 29, 2012
I have neva travelled outsde d country but i hv read and i was told is dat weneva u are outsde d country most especially country dat are more develop dan our 9ja " U SHOULD NOT CONVERT THEIR CURRENCY TO OUR NAIRA " so dat u can leave atleast confortably. So my bro dnt try to b converting it alwayz, i guess dats y u are finding it hard ova dre.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by kulboy(m): 5:43pm On Jul 29, 2012
@OP I feel your pain...the uk is very expensive.I am currently here in south east london..esp now that the games have commenced..a sandwich and orange juice goes for £7.99 tansportation is so expensive, call top-ups start from £5..things r really on the high side here. We r just managing. Sha their minimum wage is like over two hundred thousand naira so its managable for peeps working here..I wan cum bc 9ja ohhh..
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by ola4yinka(m): 5:44pm On Jul 29, 2012
Billyonaire: My brother, you need to see their faces when they say " Am going to London"; "I traveled abroad"; "Am in 'Lond(o)n'", all with rented accent that disappears the moment you ask them for 2m Naira loan. Its shameful.
Why would u ask them for 2m Naira loan, I thought u said Nigeria is better?..
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by emmaduks(m): 5:48pm On Jul 29, 2012
ma guy stop complaining scan your int paspot to me and i will send you dubai visa... Shebi u don hear
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by ola4yinka(m): 5:48pm On Jul 29, 2012
justwise:

Indeed, tell that to a yr old baby, if they have given you the 2M you wouldn't have turned it down.
True talk!
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 29, 2012
kingoflag:

See? I knew you've never lived outside your village, no wonder you had to ask that question. Keep deceiving yourself that you "returned" to Nigeria. smh

Oya, Laptop #37, go and man your station, I heard some people are planning to attack GEJ online again.
Why are you so upset with me. I am just surprise at these prices. I dont pay rent. I own houses, why would I pay rent again. I am just asking to know if I could buy property there and rent them out for profit. Am a businessman.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by ayox20003: 5:55pm On Jul 29, 2012
bandiejay: OP , Try Hongkong

God bless you jare. You spoke my mind.
Let him spend a day in HK and he will surely take the next flight to London.
But there are enough jobs there and HKD (Hong Kong Dollar) is not bad.

Frawzey
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jul 29, 2012
ola4yinka:
Why would u ask them for 2m Naira loan, I thought u said Nigeria is better?..
It was just an irony. No place like home bro.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 29, 2012
9jauk: billionaire...u must be a daft all fingers are not equal remember d fact dat u seek for a loan from Mr.A,doesn't me is not an acheiver in Uk;is shameful though thr is no place like home,Nigerian leaders ruin d nation,@ a point i thought of my unborn kids and i reflected on 9ja as a failed state;i'd to take to my hills an i chose to relocate to Uk;God is good my kids are guaranteed a bright future in Jesus name;dey ve got red P,i leave outside london,posh and much cheaper dan over priced propertiez in london.
Guy, take am easy, this was supposed to be fun interaction, but I know you guyz in UK dont find life funny anymore.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by seedord247(m): 6:02pm On Jul 29, 2012
I thought the oyo lawmakers wife said UK is cheapest country they have ever being too. grin grin
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by coogar: 6:09pm On Jul 29, 2012
omoeast: Hey Nairalanders,i would be glad if someone could tell me why United Kingdom is sooooo expensive.

I think this country is the most expensive in the world,things are not normal AND still it remains everyone's dream land expectially Nigerian

For Example,am a student i live in the UK,i pay £400 every month in east london which is not even central,£400 is 100k naija currency for a room,is that normalNot a flat...Just one room without no sitting room...its gonna be a shared apartment.3-4 people might be living in the same flat with you,you will share kitchen and toilet with them.Sitting room will be for let as well...I went to Heathrow Airport 3 days ago,someone called me to come online,i went to there internet cafe to browse,i was surprised when i saw the price...£1 for 10 mins(250 naira for 10 mins)Is that normalThere so called Olympic stadium seats are soo empty,do you know why?Ticket price aren't normal.Several Olympic venues were far from full on day one.

If you live in the UK,you will surely know no one except the rich kids will take black cabs,it's so EXPENSIVE.

I was checking apartment in the Olympic Village...I found a house for 1 million pounds monthly.Isn't that ridiculous(i cant find the link anymore but you can check the internet,just google olympic house for rent in stratford)

Now the question is WHY IS LONDON SO EXPENSIVE

london is the financial capital of the world which means it attracts the wealthiest people in the world who would not flinch to buy a bottle of coke for £10. in a nutshell, you are living in the same city with wealthy arabmen, oil/gas tycoons, football players, etc and buying from the same market/paying for the same services. the demand/supply curve kicks in.

besides that, most of the services you are paying for are taxed to death by the uk government and they take the frustration out on the consumers. it's long established history and diverse culture also make it one of the most visited cities in the world, if tourists stop coming, the prices would crash!
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jul 29, 2012
Billyonaire: Guy, take am easy, this was supposed to be fun interaction, but I know you guyz in UK dont find life funny anymore.

Hahahahah..... I no fit laugh ooooo.

Bro, take am easy make them no send James Bond to you oooo.

In between, I am a political prisoner from Cuba.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jul 29, 2012
eledalo: Because you are so broke.

Correct. If you have a good job. UK would not be expensive. Expensive is indeed relative to income. The OP is feeling the heat cos he's a student. After bills, rent, direct debits, tax e.t.c OP then as little free income to play with.

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by r231(m): 6:19pm On Jul 29, 2012
kulboy: @OP I feel your pain...the uk is very expensive.I am currently here in south east london..esp now that the games have commenced..a sandwich and orange juice goes for £7.99 tansportation is so expensive, call top-ups start from £5..things r really on the high side here. We r just managing. Sha their minimum wage is like over two hundred thousand naira so its managable for peeps working here..I wan cum bc 9ja ohhh..

Hmmmmmmm what transportation are you talking about undecided undecided

Olympic or no Olympic bus, train, tube price remains the same till 2nd of January of every year. Top-ups doesn't have nothing to do with Olympics or London, that's your choice

Btw where in south did you get sandwich and orange juice for £7.99 undecided undecided
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by justwise(m): 6:23pm On Jul 29, 2012
r231:

Hmmmmmmm what transportation are you talking about undecided undecided

Olympic or no Olympic bus, train, tube price remains the same till 2nd of January of every year. Top-ups doesn't have nothing to do with Olympics or London, that's your choice

Btw where in south did you get sandwich and orange juice for £7.99 :
-\ undecided

grin grin grin grin good questions
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by niggadee(m): 6:23pm On Jul 29, 2012
If you got legal resident paper in uk there's load of thingz to do for financial gain. Most nigerian moaning on nl about uk are illegal alien doing sh*t jobs cross the uk and living a low life.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by omayyi: 6:24pm On Jul 29, 2012
Hahahahahaha. These diasporans hate it whenever anyone try to as much as hint that they are better off here in Naija than they were in the west. Look at the way they are attacking Billyonaire from all angles. Easy oo guys.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by MrWhy1(m): 6:26pm On Jul 29, 2012
coogar:

london is the financial capital of the world which means it attracts the wealthiest people in the world who would not flinch to buy a bottle of coke for £10. in a nutshell, you are living in the same city with wealthy arabmen, oil/gas tycoons, football players, etc and buying from the same market/paying for the same services. the demand/supply curve kicks in.

besides that, most of the services you are paying for are taxed to death by the uk government and they take the frustration out on the consumers. it's long established history and diverse culture also make it one of the most visited cities in the world, if tourists stop coming, the prices would crash!

The UK is a place where thieves loves to hide. From Russian Tycoons to Arab Dictators. The financial industry is a very volatile one. It will explode one day just like the last crisis and this time it will be worst. UK has no Real economy like Japan, German or even Sweden.

Then BNP will win elections like Hitler and drive Non Whites out of the Uk.

God save the Queen. God save the Queen.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by r231(m): 6:27pm On Jul 29, 2012
Billyonaire: Why are you so upset with me. I am just surprise at these prices. I dont pay rent. I own houses, why would I pay rent again. I am just asking to know if I could buy property there and rent them out for profit. Am a businessman.

Yea rite

So I take you have never been to New York before then?

For a so called money/investment guy, you should no this stuff about manhattan already.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 6:28pm On Jul 29, 2012
justwise:

You don't need a loan from London based Nigerians, ask those in Abuja, they can give you that with original accent.
Hehehehe . . . Touche!!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by 19naia(m): 6:29pm On Jul 29, 2012
the 400 pound price you mentioned would be a good price in new-york or los angeles USA for most world major cities....one of the cheapest regions in USA can rent rooms for $150 in tight quarters,and yet when they host the annual world event KENTUCKY DERBY,a house that rents near the event normaly for $800.oo monthly,will go for $20,000.oo and more during time of the event..The event attracts Arabian princes and kings who fly in with their own 747 jet liners loade with horse stables and horses to join the event or just to buy and sell million dollar horses during the event....When big money comes to town,every one raises prices...
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jul 29, 2012
omayyi :
Hahahahahaha. These diasporans hate it whenever anyone try to as much as hint that they are better off here in Naija than they were in the west. Look at the way they are attacking Billyonaire from all angles. Easy oo guys.

Well, that doesn't apply to everyone living abroad. Some don't even care about the earning power. They are just happy they live in a sane environment where everything works, earn a decent income and their kids have a secured and bright future!

3 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by justwise(m): 6:31pm On Jul 29, 2012
Mr--Why:

The UK is a place where thieves loves to hide. From Russian Tycoons to Arab Dictators. The financial industry is a very volatile one. It will explode one day just like the last crisis and this time it will be worst. UK has no Real economy like Japan, German or even Sweden.

Then BNP will win elections like Hitler and drive Non Whites out of the Uk.

No fat chance.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jul 29, 2012
@OP,don't ever bring your problems to nairaland,most people in this forum are not ready to help others,they'l only make you feel worse than you are,why?they have never been opportuned to be where you are.
To the question:because they have few natural resources,and rely heavily on tax,stay blessed.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by claremont(m): 6:32pm On Jul 29, 2012
When I was a student, I was struggling to pay £300/month for a room with kitchenette attached and internet included. I don't understand how a student will dole out £400 every month for a single room shocked shocked shocked. I lived in West London whilst working at my first post-study job, and I still could save between £800 and £1000/month after deducting food, rent and other bills.

As for the UK being expensive, it's all about perception. I would rather live and work in a place where I get good value for every penny I spend than live anywhere else. Moreover, when you start working and earning a decent wage, you won't even be bothered about the cost of basic necessities. If the UK is supposedly expensive to you, then get a job; if it is still expensive after you have gotten a job, then get two jobs. You can only enjoy this place when you are working.

Money does not grow on trees, and even if there is a tree where money supposedly grows, you still have to work to climb the tree and pluck the money. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by MrWhy1(m): 6:44pm On Jul 29, 2012
justwise:

No fat chance.

You don't know the way this people work. Just pray to your God for the Economy to keep growing. Because if it falls further into Depression, I bet my watermelon bal.ls that the psyche of the average Real British man will change overnight. Just look at how far right parties are making headways in Europe.

I am very sure the Real British won't want to let their beloved Charles Darwin(Darwinism) down. The average white man is very paranoid and has strong survival instinct especially when it comes to coloured people.

No place like home. Plan ahead and don't think you will always be accepted there. To before warned is to before armed. Don't let me come here and say I told you so when it starts to happen.

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jul 29, 2012
Dude have you tried Liverpoolor Birmingham? Or other places? Yes Londson is expensive that's because it's the freaking capital! Houses are cheaper in Liverpool and other counties so don't base your judgement on London alone. However, once you get a job, the value of your salary is far far far higher than the value here in Nigeria. £2000 a month can take care of ur BASIC needs and leave u with some change. All u need to do is get ur self a bus or rail pass and you've solved your problem by 1/3, which is not possible here in Nigeria. Side by side, i'll take the UK any day...

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 29, 2012
r231:

Yea rite
So I take you have never been to New York before then?
For a so called money/investment guy, you should no this stuff about manhattan already.
Of course, my stay in Manhattan was in 2 different hotels which I consider not as expensive as those of Singapore. I had no reason to ask people about rents. I do not live abroad my brother. No comfortable Nigerian will like to live abroad except he has stepped on prominent toes.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 29, 2012
Most of the people commenting are all about London, London... Try other places in the UK not just London. Most Nigerians believe UK starts and ends with London. There's Nottingham, Leceister, Lancaster, Bristol, Swindon, etc! Try out these places and allow London rest small Jare! And then Get a job! The UK isn't for those hoping that pocket money will sustain them... When you work, you will get to appreciate the country. But first go find work naa grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

FG Extends Flight Ban By Four Weeks / Nigerians Living In India - How Is The Life Over There? / Accident At Aba Claims Lives As A Container Fell On A Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.