Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,996 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot (11955 Views)

PHOTOS: VP Osinbajo Commissions Nigeria Consular Building In South Africa / Nigeria's Consular General, New York In A Religious Bigotry Mess / ‘I Don’t Deserve To Be Called A Religious Bigot’ Says Aregbesola. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by adegeorge(m): 1:28pm On Aug 15, 2012
My attention was drawn to an article written by Mr. Chika Onyeani in his weekly online newspaper “The African Sun Time” of August 14, 2012, on the unfortunate accident of 21st July, 2012, which claimed the lives of five Nigerians and left some wounded. My prayers go to the families of those who lost their loved ones. May the Almighty accept them unto His keeping and grant their families fortitude to bear this irreparable sad loss. May God

also quicken the recovery of the wounded ones and provide their families succor.

I wish to place on record the fact that Mr. Onyeani tried to contact me while I was attending the Road Show on Aviation hosted by the Honourable Minister of Aviation. At the end of the Road show, I called him. He pointed out the complaints, for which I told him that I received an invitation letter for the church service of Friday, 10th August, 2012. I told Mr. Onyeani that since it was a church service, I wouldn’t know what to do during the service as a Muslim. I have never attended a church service. However, I sent one of the most senior staff of the Consulate General, who incidentally, is an Igbo man and a Catholic, to represent me and the Consulate General.

I wish to point out, for the avoidance of doubt, that since my arrival in New York, I have had the pleasure of attending meetings, dedications, baptismal in churches not only in New York but in other states under the Jurisdiction of the Consulate General. I never ever told Mr. Onyeani that “I can never enter a Church”. I have had the pleasure, both in Nigeria and USA, of joing my friends in all their events held in churches. But I have never attended a church service. This statement can be checked with the leadership of the Organisation for the Advancement of Nigerians, (Organisers of New York Parade) and others whom I have had the pleasure of joining in their events organized in various churches. I have never been, and will never be, a Religious bigot. Anybody that had ever had any direct contact with me will vouch for me on this.

In conclusion, I wish, once again, to state I never ever told Mr. Onyeani that “I can never enter a Church”. I am proud of being a Muslim but it has never ever clouded my judgment of other Religions or people of Religion. Like most Nigerians, I was born into a Religion and grew up to love and appreciate it. If I had been born by Christian parents, I would have grown up being a Christian. Almost all Nigerians were born into a Religion which they adhere to and love. I don’t think Mr. Onyeani whom I had been treating as an elder brother and adviser would descend to the level of insinuating my being a Religious bigot.

Habib Baba Habu

Consul General of Nigeria,

New York

http://elombah.com/index.php/articles-mainmenu/12242-religious-bigot-i-am-not-consul-general-of-nigeria-new-york
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Nobody: 2:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
Something is obviously wrong with the head from which these statements are coming from.

How can you be representing a whole country and yet think like a kindergarten kid?

This is one of the worst excuse I have ever seen.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Chubhie: 2:37pm On Aug 15, 2012
RELIGIOUS BIGOT, I AM NOT!
BY
HABIB BABA HABU,
CONSUL GENERAL OF NIGERIA, NEW YORK

My attention was drawn to an article written by Mr. Chika Onyeani in his weekly online newspaper “The African Sun Time” of August 14, 2012, on the unfortunate accident of 21st July, 2012, which claimed the lives of five Nigerians and left some wounded. My prayers go to the families of those who lost their loved ones. May the Almighty accept them unto His keeping and grant their families fortitude to bear this irreparable sad loss. May God also quicken the recovery of the wounded ones and provide their families succor.

I wish to place on record the fact that Mr. Onyeani tried to contact me while I was attending the Road Show on Aviation hosted by the Honourable Minister of Aviation. At the end of the Road show, I called him. He pointed out the complaints, for which I told him that I received an invitation letter for the church service of Friday, 10th August, 2012. I told Mr. Onyeani that since it was a church service, I wouldn’t know what to do during the service as a Muslim. I have never attended a church service. However, I sent one of the most senior staff of the Consulate General, who incidentally, is an Igbo man and a Catholic, to represent me and the Consulate General.

I wish to point out, for the avoidance of doubt, that since my arrival in New York, I have had the pleasure of attending meetings, dedications, baptismal in churches not only in New York but in other states under the Jurisdiction of the Consulate General. I never ever told Mr. Onyeani that “I can never enter a Church”.

I have had the pleasure, both in Nigeria and USA, of joing my friends in all their events held in churches. But I have never attended a church service. This statement can be checked with the leadership of the Organisation for the Advancement of Nigerians, (Organisers of New York Parade) and others whom I have had the pleasure of joining in their events organized in various churches. I have never been, and will never be, a Religious bigot. Anybody that had ever had any direct contact with me will vouch for me on this.

In conclusion, I wish, once again, to state I never ever told Mr. Onyeani that “I can never enter a Church”. I am proud of being a Muslim but it has never ever clouded my judgment of other Religions or people of Religion. Like most Nigerians, I was born into a Religion and grew up to love and appreciate it. If I had been born by Christian parents, I would have grown up being a Christian. Almost all Nigerians were born into a Religion which they adhere to and love. I don’t think Mr. Onyeani whom I had been treating as an elder brother and adviser would descend to the level of insinuating my being a Religious bigot.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by GreenJ(m): 3:37pm On Aug 15, 2012
I received an invitation letter for the church service of Friday, 10th August, 2012. I told Mr. Onyeani that since it was a church service, I wouldn’t know what to do during the service as a Muslim.

I have had the pleasure, both in Nigeria and USA, of joing my friends in all their events held in churches.

Leaders in deed.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by sylve11: 3:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
Haven't i seen Imam in churches? and Bishops in mosque? undecided cool

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Stevez32(m): 3:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
GreenJ: I received an invitation letter for the church service of Friday, 10th August, 2012. I told Mr. Onyeani that since it was a church service, I wouldn’t know what to do during the service as a Muslim.

I have had the pleasure, both in Nigeria and USA, of joing my friends in all their events held in churches.

Leaders in deed.

Thank You For Pointing Out That Lie
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Afam4eva(m): 3:50pm On Aug 15, 2012
Thank God we've head from the consular general himself. It's now left for the guy that called him to release a recording of the phone call if any.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Built2last: 3:51pm On Aug 15, 2012
The only person to blame for all this sh.it happening is Lord Lugard and His girl friend for joining Light and darkness If not, this guy may have been Boko Haram ambassador to Afganistan. Has he Gone to see the families involved till now? Rubbish

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Afam4eva(m): 3:52pm On Aug 15, 2012
GreenJ: I received an invitation letter for the church service of Friday, 10th August, 2012. I told Mr. Onyeani that since it was a church service, I wouldn’t know what to do during the service as a Muslim.

Leaders in deed.
You guys should learn how to read and understand. He says he can't attend a church service but has attended different events(weddings, birthdays) that have taken place in a church.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by ifihearam: 3:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
Ok
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by sylve11: 3:55pm On Aug 15, 2012
afam4eva: Thanks God we've head from the consular general himself. It's now left for the guy that called him to release a recording of the phone call if any.

is as simple as dat cool
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by maclatunji: 3:55pm On Aug 15, 2012
The man refused to attend a Church service. Why are you screaming about it? Is it in the manual for Consular-Generals that they must attend Church services? If it isn't there,what is the big deal? He respectfully sent a lieutenant there- what else do you want?

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by tintingz(m): 3:57pm On Aug 15, 2012

Leaders in deed.
the invitation is on friday(jumat)...can you balance this issue
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Dhelake: 3:57pm On Aug 15, 2012
afam4eva:
You guys should learn how to read and understand. He says he can't attend a church service but has attended different events(weddings, birthdays) that have taken place in a church.
he tire me o .... Itz nt dat dey cant read and undastand ... Itz jst that They already had d wat dey want to post in their brain ...
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by bigboy3: 3:58pm On Aug 15, 2012
this guy is a clown....same way Facrook started with orisiri lies. What is the complexity about a church service or did anyone ask him to preach? Naija and drama....Funny thing, if na election period, the guy go enter church sharply.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by manny4life(m): 3:58pm On Aug 15, 2012
maclatunji: The man refused to attend a Church service. Why are you screaming about it? Is it in the manual for Consular-Generals that they must attend Church services? If it isn't there,what is the big deal? He respectfully sent a lieutenant there- what else do you want?

Apparently you will come here to support your fellow partner in crime, what less do I expect from you?

EVERY POLITICAL LEADER MUST BE ABLE TO SET ASIDE RELIGION AND FOCUS ON THE PEOPLE. If he knows he can't attend church service, for crying out loud, QUIT YOU DAMN JOB.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by oiseworld: 3:59pm On Aug 15, 2012
1. "i have never attended a church service"

2. "I wish to point out, for the avoidance of doubt, that since my arrival in New York, I have had the pleasure of attending meetings, dedications, baptismal in churches not only in New York but in other states under the Jurisdiction of the Consulate General"

which one we go believe now. Mr double mouth.

oya tender your resignation shap shap my friend !!!
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by klairekk: 4:00pm On Aug 15, 2012
Built2last: The only person to blame for all this sh.it happening is Lord Lugard and His girl friend for joining Light and darkness If not, this guy may have been Boko Haram ambassador to Afganistan. Has he Gone to see the families involved till now? Rubbish

Rub.bish post....this is what you get wiyh frre things in Nigeria....
Blqme Lugard? Best if you blame ur dad for not been born a european or somalian....better stik blean God for creatin u

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by manny4life(m): 4:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
HE can attend church service if it's for celebration such as weddings, birthdays, baptisms, etc BUT his legs and hands are tied that he cannot church service for mourning... FLIMSY EXCUSE. angry angry angry

Now the perfect excuse comes - "I wouldn’t know what to do during the service as a Muslim", like seriously, who asked him to do anything special? Did anyone ask him to preach ? undecided undecided undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by psoto(f): 4:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
Hehehe....So who is lying?
I'm loving this African Magic Entertainment!grin
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Afam4eva(m): 4:02pm On Aug 15, 2012
oiseworld: 1. "i have never attended a church service"

2. "I wish to point out, for the avoidance of doubt, that since my arrival in New York, I have had the pleasure of attending meetings, dedications, baptismal in churches not only in New York but in other states under the Jurisdiction of the Consulate General"

which one we go believe now. Mr double mouth.

oya tender your resignation shap shap my friend !!!

afam4eva:
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by argunguone(m): 4:02pm On Aug 15, 2012
he insinuated it bcox tose that died are igbos
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by brownlord: 4:02pm On Aug 15, 2012
How come this northen rams have so much develope the habit and they are now expert in lying? The most annoying thing is the more they lie, the more they expose them self, just like farock lawal

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by superior1: 4:02pm On Aug 15, 2012
In the letter of invitation they gave the Hon. Consular, did they indicated he was to conduct the service in church. . This article is an afterthought and shows the narrow-mindedness of some of our appointed diplomats.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by papagiddy(m): 4:03pm On Aug 15, 2012
personally, i dont believe the consular is sincere.he is trying to twist the story.but ive see president George Bush in a mosque and Barrack Obama in a mosque also! he should be sack
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by wellheads(m): 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2012
I also don't see any contradiction in what he is saying. He said if he gets to the church, he won't know what to sing or what to do, and he sent a high powered delegation. Personally, I don't see anything wrong in that.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by ganye1: 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2012
I've read read the post regarding the behaviour of the Consular General and felt that he acted wrongly if the narration was true. But having read this, one thing is clear the CG has sent a representative to the event and the event was a church service whether held in a church or not and his excuse of not knowing what to do is tenable. People should please stop using tragedies like this to fight their enemies.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Nobody: 4:05pm On Aug 15, 2012
manny4life:

EVERY POLITICAL LEADER MUST BE ABLE TO SET ASIDE RELIGION AND FOCUS ON THE PEOPLE. If he knows he can't attend church service, for crying out loud, QUIT YOU DAMN JOB.

True and Not true.

True he should be able to set aside religion and focus on the people.

Not true that he should quit. He acknowledged that he sent a Representative to the event,this has been confirmed by the bereaved. I still dont see where the anger is. For all I see, this man would have gone in the Church and everyone would have started complaining that he didnt say "Amen" to a prayer that was made "In Jesus' name".

Bottomline, Nigerians are too religious for my liking.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by maclatunji: 4:05pm On Aug 15, 2012
manny4life:

Apparently you will come here to support your fellow partner in crime, what less do I expect from you?

[b]EVERY POLITICAL LEADER MUST BE ABLE TO SET ASIDE RELIGION AND FOCUS ON THE PEOPLE. [/b]If he knows he can't attend church service, for crying out loud, QUIT YOU DAMN JOB.

It is not a matter of supporting anybody. Christians are fond of this "you must follow our way mentality" which is quite ridiculous. If it isn't in his schedule of duties to attend Church services, he has every right not to attend if he chooses not to and you should respect that. I would be more concerned if he did not reach-out to the bereaved family rather than whether or not he attended their religious function.

As much as you want to cry "Freedom" to associate with anybody. Those that seek not to associate with you should also be respected. The bolded is typical- why "Must" he set aside his beliefs if it doesn't affect his statutory functions? The writer of the article was mischievous and he has exposed the lack of tolerance of a lot of Christians as well. The man has the right not to attend if it isn't a part of his official duties.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by snowdrops(m): 4:06pm On Aug 15, 2012
Built2last: The only person to blame for all this sh.it happening is Lord Lugard and His girl friend for joining Light and darkness If not, this guy may have been Boko Haram ambassador to Afganistan. Has he Gone to see the families involved till now? Rubbish

Bravo!!!
Just like they tried but failed to join mainly Muslim Parkistan and secular India. What has darkness got to do with light?
This man would be better suited to represent the Islamic republic of Northern Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by CLemchi: 4:07pm On Aug 15, 2012
This man is a liar. Please read his response again. Liar.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by bigboy3: 4:07pm On Aug 15, 2012
maclatunji: The man refused to attend a Church service. Why are you screaming about it? Is it in the manual for Consular-Generals that they must attend Church services? If it isn't there,what is the big deal? He respectfully sent a lieutenant there- what else do you want?

You are still in the stone age....you better grow up. It isn't a must but thats the logical and rational thing to do at that time. He should have actually given a better reason and justify his absence but not on religious grounds....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Appeal Court To Hear Suit Against Jonathan’s Sole Candidacy Oct. 20 / Akwa Ibom Lawmakers Threaten Lawsuit Against DSS / Bayelsa Election: Patience Jonathan Working To Make Us Lose- PDP Group Cries Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.