Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,878 members, 7,828,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot (11962 Views)

PHOTOS: VP Osinbajo Commissions Nigeria Consular Building In South Africa / Nigeria's Consular General, New York In A Religious Bigotry Mess / ‘I Don’t Deserve To Be Called A Religious Bigot’ Says Aregbesola. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by manny4life(m): 4:08pm On Aug 15, 2012
kingoflag:

True and Not true.

True he should be able to set aside religion and focus on the people.

Not true that he should quit; he acknowledged he sent a Representative to the event. This has been confirmed by the bereaved. I still dont see where the anger is. For all I see, this man would have gone in the Church and everyone would have started complaining that he didnt say "Amen" to a prayer that was made "In Jesus' name".

Bottomline, Nigerians are too religious for my liking.

My argument has been-

manny4life: HE can attend church service if it's for celebration such as weddings, birthdays, baptisms, etc BUT his legs and hands are tied that he cannot church service for mourning... FLIMSY EXCUSE. angry angry angry

Now the perfect excuse comes - "I wouldn’t know what to do during the service as a Muslim", like seriously, who asked him to do anything special? Did anyone ask him to preach ? undecided undecided undecided undecided

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by brownlord: 4:10pm On Aug 15, 2012
maclatunji: The man refused to attend a Church service. Why are you screaming about it? Is it in the manual for Consular-Generals that they must attend Church services? If it isn't there,what is the big deal? He respectfully sent a lieutenant there- what else do you want?

You are very foolish, why should he refused attending the church service?, was the position giving to him by Muhammed or in the mosque, why don't u think with ur brain for once, remove religion/ethnic sentiment, so are you tellin me that if the president ws to be attending same server and as the consule general, he will stay back cos he's a muslim, then when in Nigeria will christian and muslim ever leave in peace if you could support ur mad brother in this shameless act?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by doctorbabs(m): 4:10pm On Aug 15, 2012
bigboy3: this guy is a clown....same way Facrook started with orisiri lies. What is the complexity about a church service or did anyone ask him to preach? Naija and drama....Funny thing, if na election period, the guy go enter church sharply.
. IF UR OWN RELIGION IS SO IMPORTANT TO U, U SHOULD PEOPLE'S RELIGION TOO, CAN ANY CHRISTIAN ENTER MOSQUE AND PERFORM ABLUTION, WE SHOULD RESPECT OTHERS PEOPLE FAITH, CHRISTANITY AND ISLAM ARE NOT ONLY RELIGION IN THE WORLD. ABI WETIN IMAM WAN GO DO FOR BABALAWO'S HOUSE
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by 2mch(m): 4:11pm On Aug 15, 2012
brownlord:

You are very foolish, why should he refused attending the church service?, was the position giving to him by Muhammed or in the mosque, why don't u think with ur brain for once, remove religion/ethnic sentiment, so are you tellin me that if the president ws to be attending same server and as the consule general, he will stay back cos he's a muslim, then when in Nigeria will christian and muslim ever leave in peace if you could support ur mad brother in this shameless act?

You are the foolish one. Have you ever been to Jumat? Have you ever entered a mosque? Dont come here and shout if you havent because you will never and you are a hypocrite. The witch hunt is only exposing a desperation. Nothing dey happen. The guy didnt act out of character.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by sino(m): 4:11pm On Aug 15, 2012
Its so funny that thos castigating this man as being a bigot are themselves lousy bigots.
Rather than carefully decipher the response this man has given and ask relevant question regarding important points raised, some are here labelling him all sorts...
He said "i sent one of the most senior staff who incidentally happens to be an igbo man and a catholic to represent me and the consulate general" the question is, who is this person? Did he attend in such capacity? If we know this person and his name can be found maybe on the register or something then case closed.
Again he clearly stated he didnt say he will never enter a church...you know how we easyly give our own interpretation to a person's statement cos we already have a preconceived opinion about that person which i think is the case here. I believe the author of the article claiming he said so, misquoted him.
There is a difference between attending meetings, witnessing baptism or wedding ceremony and taking part in a church service. He must definately be fasting and sees that taking part in such religious service "might" affect his fast maybe the reason he sent a representative.
Cut the guy some slack he aint a bigot like some christians on NL bashing Islam ignorantly.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by manny4life(m): 4:12pm On Aug 15, 2012
maclatunji:

It is not a matter of supporting anybody. Christians are fond of this "you must follow our way mentality" which is quite ridiculous. If it isn't in his schedule of duties to attend Church services, he has every right not to attend if he chooses not to and you should respect that. I would be more concerned if he did not reach-out to the bereaved family rather than whether or not he attended their religious function.

As much as you want to cry "Freedom" to associate with anybody. Those that seek not to associate with you should also be respected. The bolded is typical- why "Must" he set aside his beliefs if it doesn't affect his statutory functions? The writer of the article was mischievous and he has exposed the lack of tolerance of a lot of Christians as well. The man has the right not to attend if it isn't a part of his official duties.

Well done! Go on, clap for yourself. The day he started entertaining invitation particularly those on official business was the day he opened his doors to such. According to him, is the Nigerian Consulate in the business to represent in Baptisms, Weddings, and all sort of celebration? I thought the embassy was strictly on diplomatic business? So he can attend all of these and claim his representing Nigerian Consulate (aka Nigeria), but he cannot attend when it's the opposite? I guess all these invitation are official duties aren't they?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by maclatunji: 4:13pm On Aug 15, 2012
bigboy3:

You are still in the stone age....you better grow up. It isn't a must but thats the logical and rational thing to do at that time. He should have actually given a better reason and justify his absence but not on religious grounds....

1. It isn't a Must according to you.

Yet, you still have to state but thats the logical and rational thing to do at that time.

Do tell, who defines what is "logical" and "rational"? You? Christians? Stop contradicting yourself.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by tunshe: 4:13pm On Aug 15, 2012
oiseworld: 1. "i have never attended a church service"

2. "I wish to point out, for the avoidance of doubt, that since my arrival in New York, I have had the pleasure of attending meetings, dedications, baptismal in churches not only in New York but in other states under the Jurisdiction of the Consulate General"

which one we go believe now. Mr double mouth.

oya tender your resignation shap shap my friend !!!

Church Service isn't the same as Church events.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by gramci: 4:14pm On Aug 15, 2012
maclatunji: The man refused to attend a Church service. Why are you screaming about it? Is it in the manual for Consular-Generals that they must attend Church services? If it isn't there,what is the big deal? He respectfully sent a lieutenant there- what else do you want?

Why am I not surprised? Birds of the same feather ...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by brownlord: 4:14pm On Aug 15, 2012
doctorbabs: . IF UR OWN RELIGION IS SO IMPORTANT TO U, U SHOULD PEOPLE'S RELIGION TOO, CAN ANY CHRISTIAN ENTER MOSQUE AND PERFORM ABLUTION, WE SHOULD RESPECT OTHERS PEOPLE FAITH, CHRISTANITY AND ISLAM ARE NOT ONLY RELIGION IN THE WORLD. ABI WETIN IMAM WAN GO DO FOR BABALAWO'S HOUSE

U r foolish, have seen can president dress and visited a mosque bfore, are you telling me if this habib is to be the president of Nigeria would not attend a church service if need be?, no wonder your boko haram brother are real fighting to islamize ngria, and bloody liars would sy u not in support of them or they not fightin for muslim, nw shw me the religious tolerance that u guys hv to move this nation forward
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by tintingz(m): 4:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
I told Mr. Onyeani that since it was
a church service, I wouldn’t know what to
do during the service as a Muslim. I have
never attended a church service.
However, I sent one of the most senior
staff of the Consulate General, who
incidentally, is an Igbo man and a Catholic,
to represent me and the Consulate
General.
he has given another reason for his absent and even sent an igbo man to rep him
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Fiawest(m): 4:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
MR Consular u erred Sir,ur defence is watery. if na to chop money now u go show face,I remembered when I lost my Passport n seeking a TC to come home for replacement,dem chop my money die b4 I fit get thing wey be FREE.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by maclatunji: 4:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
manny4life:

Well done! Go on, clap for yourself. The day he started entertaining invitation particularly those on official business was the day he opened his doors to such. According to him, is the Nigerian Consulate in the business to represent in Baptisms, Weddings, and all sort of celebration? I thought the embassy was strictly on diplomatic business? So he can attend all of these and claim his representing Nigerian Consulate (aka Nigeria), but he cannot attend when it's the opposite? I guess all these invitation are official duties aren't they?

Does the word "choice" mean anything to you? I attend some of my relatives (of the same religion) functions and don't attend others. It is a matter of choice. Even if he had previously attended a million church services, if he decides not to attend this one, there is nothing wrong if his job description does not demand such. You are clutching at straws here.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by manny4life(m): 4:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
tunshe:

Church Service isn't the same as Church events.

WOW, go on and clap for yourself. Church events he attended, didn't they have a service in it? undecided undecided undecided

When you go to wedding, don't you attend the church service?

When you go to baptism, don't you attend the church service before the ceremony?
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
PLEASE RESIGN. PERIOD

THAT OFFICE IS TOO DELICATE TO OCCUPY BY PEOPLE NARROW MINDED WITH RELIGIOUS SENTIMENTS
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by doctorbabs(m): 4:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
[quote author=brownlord]

You are very foolish, why should he refused attending the church service?, was the position giving to him by Muhammed or in the mosque, why don't u think with ur brain for once, remove religion/ethnic sentiment, so are you tellin me that if the president ws to be attending same server and as the consule general, he will stay back cos he's a muslim, then when in Nigeria will christian and muslim ever leave in peace if you could support ur mad brother in this shameless act?[/quote. Try and see a doctor at yaba left hand side, it seems one of d nut in ur brain is faulty again. BORN AGAINST FIOR LAGOS, IDOL WORSHIPPER FOR UNNA VILLAGE( WE DEY GO DO YAM FESTIVAL) AR U HOLIER THAN JESUS.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Chanchit: 4:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
Everything still points that he is a very bad leader, even if he can't go, he's suppose to give another reason, not religious reason... If his resply is anything to go by, then the reporter is right...
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by manny4life(m): 4:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
maclatunji:

Does the word "choice' mean anything to you? I attend some of my relatives (of the same religion) functions and don't attend others. It is a matter of choice. Even if he had previously attended a million church services, if he decides not to attend this one, there is nothing wrong if his job description does not demand such. You are clutching at straws here.

Choice? Now we're selective about the English term? undecided undecided undecided LOL, I wasn't surprised. Well he choose not to attend it because it wasn't celebration after all it isn't in his job description. I believe when the following week arrives, ti will be in his job description to attend a wedding in NY, LA, DC or TX...smh

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
Understanding The Mind of a Muslim

André Servier Historian lived in Algeria at the beginning of the 20th century

The deadening influence of Islam is well demonstrated by the way in which the Musulman comports himself at different stages of his life. In his early childhood, when the religion has not as yet impregnated his brain, he shows a very lively intelligence and remarkably open mind, accessible to ideas of every kind; but, in proportion as he grows up, and as, through the system of his education, Islam lays hold of him and envelops him, his brain seems to shut up, his judgment to become atrophied, and his intelligence to be stricken by paralysis and irremediable degeneration

It is a misfortune to be born into this religionCULT.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by tintingz(m): 4:21pm On Aug 15, 2012
papa giddy: personally, i dont believe the consular is sincere.he is trying to twist the story.but ive see president George Bush in a mosque and Barrack Obama in a mosque also! he should be sack
realy?...wich mosque is that?
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by guyluv(m): 4:21pm On Aug 15, 2012
SOME NAIRALANDERS ARE THE WORST BIGOTS! HOW ON EARTH COULD HE ATTEND CHURCH SERVICE? CAN A CHRISTIAN ATTEND PRAYER IN A MOSQUE? THERE IS QUITE DISTINCTION BETWEEN CHURCH SERVICE AND EVENT. A CHRISTIAN CAN ATTEND AN EVENT IN A MOSQUE BUT NOT A PRAYER. SO, USE UR BRAINS...
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by manny4life(m): 4:21pm On Aug 15, 2012
If not because these people are immune to investigation, what are Nigerian lawyers doing? I bet you if they peeked at his travel schedule in the past/present, they will see he has arranged other celebrations at other places (in churches) as well...
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by olawalebabs(m): 4:22pm On Aug 15, 2012
This thread is populated by people that think with their leg. How many of you will enter a mosque even for official assignment? Think before you post please.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by brownlord: 4:23pm On Aug 15, 2012
2mch:

You are the foolish one. Have you ever been to Jumat? Have you ever entered a mosque? Dont come here and shout if you havent because you will never and you are a hypocrite. The witch hunt is only exposing a desperation. Nothing dey happen. The guy didnt act out of character.

No I haven't, but let look at it from this angle, this man is representing Nigeria and not a particular religion, so what should be his excuse for not been present in such an event, weather it was held in church or a shrine! Which example is he now giving to others, should he be a gov. Of. State or president, does it mean he will abolish other religion, my friend stop decieving urself say the truth for once even if I know you all are bloody liars
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by maclatunji: 4:25pm On Aug 15, 2012
manny4life:

Choice? Now we're selective about the English term? undecided undecided undecided LOL, I wasn't surprised. Well he choose not to attend it because it wasn't celebration after all it isn't in his job description. I believe when the following week arrives, ti will be in his job description to attend a wedding in NY, LA, DC or TX...smh

Cry all you want. The questions you should be asking are:

1. What are the duties of a Consular-General in such a situation?

2. Has he performed them satisfactorily?

Not whether he attended the church service or not. That is open to personal preference and choice. If Muslims insisted that a Christian must perform "the Muslim prayer for the dead", I am sure dim-witted fellows would rush to point that out as an evidence of the "violent" nature of Islam but now it is perfectly normal to insist a Muslim attend a Christian service for the dead.

I know a lot of you have been programmed like automatons from early childhood but you need to unlearn some of these things.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by aribisala0(m): 4:26pm On Aug 15, 2012
I just wonder whether we would be having the same outrage if an Igbo Christian refused to attend a service for Amadioha!!! grin

Did GEJ attend the Mosque service for his boss?

The key issue is whether he engaged with the bereaved and discharged his duties/functions to them. Some people choose Not to attend religious ceremonies of ANY kind. That is their right and CANNOT preclude them from public office.

He has presented his own side of the story and we have no choice but to believe him since it is the duty of the accuser to PROVE OTHERWISE.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by boyendowed(m): 4:28pm On Aug 15, 2012

It is high time you should realize that you are a moderator and stop exhibiting your fanaticism on any thread that has a religious undertone

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by manny4life(m): 4:28pm On Aug 15, 2012
maclatunji:

Not whether he attended the church service or not. That is open to personal preference and choice. If Muslims insisted that a Christian must perform "the Muslim prayer for the dead", I am sure dim-witted fellows would rush to point that out as an evidence of the "violent" nature of Islam but now it is perfectly normal to insist a Muslim attend a Christian service for the dead.

I know a lot of you have been programmed like automatons from early childhood but you need to unlearn some of these things.

CRY? LOL, cheesy cheesy cheesy Dude you got me all fuc.ked up...

He's at will to do whatever he wants, but don't go getting angry when people look down at you and your religion and what you stand for- hypocrites. Now people can see why I made the dislike Islam comment and I 100% stand by it. After all, I'm not the one who's on defense (religious bigot), HE IS... He can publish as many answers and replies as he want, but he CAN NEVER change the hearts of learned Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Afam4eva(m): 4:29pm On Aug 15, 2012
maclatunji:

I agree with the bolded. It's unfortunate that people view Islam with suspicion and you can't blame them, can you? Some people globally have given Islam a bad name that will take decades to erase.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by juman(m): 4:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
Must a person drop his religion to become Consul-General of Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by maclatunji: 4:31pm On Aug 15, 2012
boyendowed:

It is high time you should realize that you are a moderator and stop exhibiting your fanaticism on any thread that has a religious undertone

It is not enough to be able to string words together in a sentence, one has to learn to give meaning and proper sense in one's posts.

#Read #This #Slowly #Repeatedly

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Nobody: 4:32pm On Aug 15, 2012
manny4life:

My argument has been-

First off, na you know who dey argue with you, cus I know I'm not arguing with anybody so expel the need for aggression elsewhere. Its Mid-Week, biko.

Anyways, in as much as both parties acknowledged that a representative was sent, I do not see where complaints arise anymore.

This is from the Bereaved/Complainant:

Checking further to make sure that there was no mistake regarding Mr. Habu’s assertion, I called Mr. Nnamdi Akamnonu, President of the Arondizuogu Patriotic Union National Congress of North America. He stated that in the course of the wake-keeping, somebody came and told him that there was somebody from the Consulate waiting outside who wanted to speak to him. He said he asked them to walk the individual in, but the individual refused to walk in. He then decided to go and meet with the person. Said Mr. Akamnonu, “I saw a young man in shorts with a tee shirt on, and I invited him in, but he said he didn’t want to come in, that he had a message from the Consulate, that they had received my letter.” He said that was all the message he had to deliver and didn’t have a written reply to my letter to the Consul-General, informing him that the wake-peeing was going to be at Coop City in the Bronx.”

And this is from the Consul:

However, I sent one of the most senior staff of the Consulate General, who incidentally, is an Igbo man and a Catholic, to represent me and the Consulate General.

So, where is the problem?! They both agree that he sent a representative, and in my opinion that should be enough to satisfy the presence of the Nigerian Government, if indeed thats what they were seeking.

This is a horrible tragedy that occurred, but to trivialize it and turn it into a witch-hunt is just downright shameful and is not needed at this point.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Picture Of Biafran Children Shot To Death In 1968 #may30th / Nigeria Is Committed To Nuclear Non-Proliferation – Buhari / "Remove Boroh As Presidential Amnesty Adviser" Protest On East-West Road (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.