Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,060 members, 7,828,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot (11965 Views)

PHOTOS: VP Osinbajo Commissions Nigeria Consular Building In South Africa / Nigeria's Consular General, New York In A Religious Bigotry Mess / ‘I Don’t Deserve To Be Called A Religious Bigot’ Says Aregbesola. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by nagoma(m): 10:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
I knew from the beginning that Mr. Chika Onyeani was up to no good. He was plain mischievous . All his objective was to fan the flames of hatred ravaging Nigerians across the various divides at the moment in history. Thank God the records are set right , but Onyeani has caused much damage already.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by BetaThings: 11:00pm On Aug 15, 2012
erniok: You amuse me. So your idea of a representative is someone who didn't have the courtesy of coming in but stands at the door to deliver a message.

No one is insisting that a high powered delegate be sent but what is worth doing is worth doing well.
Tell us the number of funerals that previous CGs attended
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Carmall(m): 11:13pm On Aug 15, 2012
So if five ogun worshippers die now, the consulate will ve to visit ogun shrine to show he is really sad?
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by erniok(m): 11:23pm On Aug 15, 2012
BetaThings:
Tell us the number of funerals that previous CGs attended

Don't you get my point or rather, read my posts again.

Again, what is worth doing is worth doing well.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by http(m): 11:25pm On Aug 15, 2012
Carmall: So if five ogun worshippers die now, the consulate will ve to visit ogun shrine to show he is really sad?

Don't mind those them, they are all up in the game of Religious Hatred and bigotry.... I just wonder when they will be satisfied... Those talking will never attend any ceremony or event in any mosques cos they consider that place as idol worshipping place...

May be they should tell us where in the constitution that demand consular general or his representative to attend citizens burial or what have you...

this is just a discresionary matter and they have fan the wind of hatred more and more with this incidence....
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by erniok(m): 11:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
Carmall: So if five ogun worshippers die now, the consulate will ve to visit ogun shrine to show he is really sad?

I guess GEJ had no biz being in Lagos to sympathize with the dana airline victims after all people die daily on our roads.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by BetaThings: 11:55pm On Aug 15, 2012
erniok:

Don't you get my point or rather, read my posts again.

Again, what is worth doing is worth doing well.

Is the religious bigotry because he did not attend
or his rep (a catholic) did not show adequate respect for the dead/bereaved at the ceremony?

We can say that he did not pay sufficient attention - that cannot be called bigotry
But the way this has been treated, one begins to think that it is a duty to every bereaved family to send message of condolence
And I ask, is this normal?
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by AdamuUcheOla: 12:08am On Aug 16, 2012
It's after midnight in my part of the world. Rather than go to sleep, I have spent the last hour reading every single post on this thread. A very minute number of these posts have been either enlightening or funny. However, it's the majority that have me very worried for my country, family, friends and children (unborn).

Based on what I have read on here tonight, I have reached the conclusion that religious bigotry and tribalism are so deeply entrenched in the Nigerian psyche that my beloved country is doomed. There would be bloodshed. I do not need to be a rocket scientist to know this as we only have to look at as recent as the second world war. Pre - Nazi Germany, this same scenario played out and we all know how that ended : approximately 6 million men, women and children were murdered.

Again, I am worried for my country, family, friends and children; my fellow Nigerian, you should should be worried as well. The reason being if for instance a list of 6 million randomly chosen Nigerians was drawn up, I guarantee you that someone you love or you AND someone you love would be on that list.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Nobody: 12:30am On Aug 16, 2012
erniok: You amuse me. So your idea of a representative is someone who didn't have the courtesy of coming in but stands at the door to deliver a message.

No one is insisting that a high powered delegate be sent but what is worth doing is worth doing well.

Exactly!

And thats why I say Nigeria is in a rot! This kind of attitude did not start with this Consular debacle, but if we tell you people to vote in competent individuals that abhor corruption and will ensure that erring staff are punished, you will remind me that Buhari is Muslim, Probably Boko Haram and that his opponent, even though clearly incompetent, had no shoes and is from a minority tribe, so spare me the sermon.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Nobody: 12:41am On Aug 16, 2012

So, lets even assume the Consular-General is such a demented bigot that he decided it was against the tenets of his faith to go into a Church, he decided to send his subordinate --- A CATHOLIC AND FELLOW IGBO LIKE THE BEREAVED--- Whose fault is it that their own kin chose to dress like he was going to a rap concert or that he even refused to step into the event hall? The Consular-General's?!

Please, man, its always good to avoid sentiments and speak the truth as it is!
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by gbadexy(m): 4:47am On Aug 16, 2012
Going by the unreasonable comments I've been reading here and the general obstinate and unreasonable nature of NL christians whenever Islam is involved, I would say I couldn't care less what they feel.
There is no need replying these people, it would be easier trying to reason with a dumb cow. Muslims shouldn't bother to enlighten these people and allow them wallow in their ignorance. Their ear has been blocked and no amount of logical or reasonable explanation can appeal to them.
The man has stated his own side of the story, yet you are all hyperventilating here.
You hypocrites that don't practice what your bible preach, you judge and instead of you to face your primary assignment which is improving your relationship with your creator and being good neighbors, you constitute yourselves into nuisance and deliberately spread lies about Islam.
Are you people that scared of Islam and feel the source with which you exploit your members (tithe) is threatened?
Why do you always have hard ons and become unreasonable whenever Islam is involved.
Instead of the christiandom to address key issues like stopping homosexuality among your folds, insisting your pastors use the millions they collect to do charity work and live humbly like the missionaries which most people that benefited from their schools and hospital did, improve your relationship with God and fellow man and direct your prayers to God to help you defeat and disgrace those killing your members, be they muslims or christians(i.e if you have faith your prayers would genuinely be answered), you rather judge, abuse and become intolerant.
Would God give you extra points for that or for your good deeds? Bearing in mind that someone once said on my thread that it is simply by accepting Jesus that one goes to heaven and not by good deeds weighing more than evil deeds like we muslims believe, I wouldn't hope for a reasonable answer.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by tpia5: 4:49am On Aug 16, 2012
is consular general the same as ambassador?
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by tpia5: 5:02am On Aug 16, 2012
anyway @ topic

if he's not comfortable going into a church, then let him be, imo.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by BetaThings: 5:42am On Aug 16, 2012
since coming under Republican control in 2010, the House Homeland Security Committee has held five hearings on Muslim radicalisation, and none on right-wing threats.Yet America’s right-wing extremists commit a vastly greater number of murderous attacks (though leading to fewer deaths) than Muslims do. According to the Extremist Crime Database (ECDB), published by the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism, between 1990 and 2010 right-wing extremists carried out 145 murderous attacks, resulting in 348 deaths, 168 of which resulted from the Oklahoma City bombing. During that same time period Muslim extremists committed around 25 attacks, which killed over 3,000 people; but 9/11 accounted for 2,977 of these

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2012/08/domestic-terrorism
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by erniok(m): 8:08am On Aug 16, 2012
kingoflag:

So, lets even assume the Consular-General is such a demented bigot that he decided it was against the tenets of his faith to go into a Church, he decided to send his subordinate --- A CATHOLIC AND FELLOW IGBO LIKE THE BEREAVED--- Whose fault is it that their own kin chose to dress like he was going to a rap concert or that he even refused to step into the event hall? The Consular-General's?!

Please, man, its always good to avoid sentiments and speak the truth as it is!

So if in ur office, ur supervisor assigns a duty to you and u did a shabby work, ur supervisor should tell his superiors when queried that it wasn't his fault. Now I understand you beta. No wonder we have refused to move foward as a nation. We enjoy pushing away blames.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Babaji111(m): 8:37am On Aug 16, 2012
You have not only spoken as a competent and wise leader, but you have spoken the truth....but truth is always bitter. I and all your people are proud of you. May Allah continue to guide and protect you.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by otondo55: 9:35am On Aug 16, 2012
Nigeria is never one, with the high level of hate and tribalism...Split the poo.

The Consular should be recall with immediate effect! He is not representing a section of the country, he should go where he can represent Boko Haram, Liar !
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by simpleseyi: 11:44am On Aug 16, 2012
Is President Jonathan attending this Friday's Jumat service? If not please let the guy be. He is not going to church, Period! There is no compulsion in religion.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by slam7000(m): 12:35pm On Aug 16, 2012
When we started getting complaints that the Nigerian Consulate-General in New York did not once react to this tragedy, did not visit the surviving accident victims at the hospital, never replied to a letter from the President of the Arondizuogu Patriotic Union National Congress of North America (An Umbrella union of all Arondizuogu people – an Igbo ethnic group) resident in the North America, nor did they send anybody to the wake-keeping on Friday, July 10, in the Bronx, New York, I decided to get the Nigerian Consul-General, Mr. Habib Abba Habu, to respond to the allegations. It was an allegation that to me as a Nigerian I found to be totally incredulous, because I didn’t believe that a Nigerian official could be that callous, and that is before I heard Mr. Habu’s reasons for ignoring this Nigerian tragedy in America.
I called Mr. Habu several times, and after not reaching him, then sent him a text message, thus “Hi, have called several times to get your part that the consulate refused to play any role in the ghastly death of five Nigerians in new york. Thanks. Chika Onyeani.” After not receiving a reply, I called Mr. Habu’s secretary, who said he was on the other line. I explained to her why I was calling and she promised that he would call me back immediately he got off the phone. For sure, Mr. Habu called back.

I explained to him the reason for my call, that I wanted to find out what Nigerians in the New York area were saying, that the Consulate did not react to the tragic death of five Nigerians which made national news in America, that he didn’t visit or send his representative to visit the surviving victims of the accident, and that he didn’t participate in the wake-keeping on Friday, July 10th. Before I could even finish, Mr. Habu shot back at me and angrily stated, “Mr. Onyeani, I am a Muslim, I can never enter a church.” I couldn’t believe my ears. I said to him, “Mr. Habu, you are the Consul-General of Nigeria, not the Consul-General of Nigerian Muslims, and your predecessors, whether Muslims or Christians or any other religion, have taken to visit Nigerians whether in the church or in the mosque.” He replied, “Well, they are they, and I am me, I can never enter a church.”
I said to Mr. Habu, “I don’t really believe you are saying this to me, and I am going to be writing about this.” “Well,” he replied, “I don’t really care if you write about it, Chief Onyeani.” Then he thought again, and said to me, “maybe I didn’t say it the right way.”

This is not about the consular general not attending the funeral service,perhaps if he had reacted as was expected of him,send a condolence letter/message or even call the family to emphatise with them,all these uproar wld,ve not surfaced.
If he actually said the above to Mr Onyeani,then i wld say that was very disappointing for someone in his position...his last quote above reminds me of Buharis dogs and baboon statement...but this time it wasnt said in hausa,it was clearly said in english language..ie if the above statement is true.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by bigboy3: 11:31pm On Aug 16, 2012
maclatunji:

1. It isn't a Must according to you.

Yet, you still have to state but thats the logical and rational thing to do at that time.

Do tell, who defines what is "logical" and "rational"? You? Christians? Stop contradicting yourself.

Guy, I work in an embassy and I knw how this missions work. I don't have a problem with him being a Muslim or a Christian but my point is, he should have presented his case professionally. Nigeria is a free country and he's there to represent the country not his religion and that shouldn't have come up in the first place. We need to start acting with caution and not do things careleslly and stop all this bullshit about Hausa, ibo, Yoruba, Christian , Muslim et al when it comes to national issues.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by sucre2(m): 1:29am On Aug 17, 2012
bigboy3:

You are still in the stone age....you better grow up. It isn't a must but thats the logical and rational thing to do at that time. He should have actually given a better reason and justify his absence but not on religious grounds....

What better reasons do you need again after he acknowledged to have sent someone to represent him.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by Nobody: 1:43am On Aug 17, 2012
erniok:

So if in ur office, ur supervisor assigns a duty to you and u did a shabby work, ur supervisor should tell his superiors when queried that it wasn't his fault. Now I understand you beta. No wonder we have refused to move foward as a nation. We enjoy pushing away blames.

Na you know your Nation wey no move forward.

I do not know how else to explain it to you: IN MY EYES, MR ONYEANI TOLD A FIB! Not a small one, a major one, in order to whip up sympathy through Religious sentiment. This is becoming very common amongst Nigerians and it is quite shameful. The Consul sent a representative to the funeral, that to me is enough. The rules, as I know it, do not demand for more than that.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by jumobi1(m): 1:52am On Aug 17, 2012
tpia@:
is consular general the same as ambassador?

Nope
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by erniok(m): 8:05am On Aug 17, 2012
kingoflag:

Na you know your Nation wey no move forward.

I do not know how else to explain it to you: IN MY EYES, MR ONYEANI TOLD A FIB! Not a small one, a major one, in order to whip up sympathy through Religious sentiment. This is becoming very common amongst Nigerians and it is quite shameful. The Consul sent a representative to the funeral, that to me is enough. The rules, as I know it, do not demand for more than that.

The question is what purpose would mr.onyeani's lie serve? To recall the consular? I doubt. What if the consular actually said that and is trying to recant. Remember hon. Farouk lawan.

What stopped the consular from saying: I sent mr.... Who is igbo and also a catholic. He met mr....who is the head of the family and expressed the consulate condolence. He signed the condolence register provided. Do you this there will b any uproar? I really doubt. It means he gets feedback from his subordinates and he's competent.

By the way, I don't agree he should be recalled but he owes the family an apology and should be reprimanded by his superiors.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by bigboy3: 12:20pm On Aug 17, 2012
doctorbabs: . IF UR OWN RELIGION IS SO IMPORTANT TO U, U SHOULD PEOPLE'S RELIGION TOO, CAN ANY CHRISTIAN ENTER MOSQUE AND PERFORM ABLUTION, WE SHOULD RESPECT OTHERS PEOPLE FAITH, CHRISTANITY AND ISLAM ARE NOT ONLY RELIGION IN THE WORLD. ABI WETIN IMAM WAN GO DO FOR BABALAWO'S HOUSE

Bro, I don't care about religion, I am neither Jew or Arabian nor am I from the middle east. I care about Doing right, trusting and believing in God and respecting my fellow human beings.
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by bigboy3: 12:23pm On Aug 17, 2012
sucre!!:

What better reasons do you need again after he acknowledged to have sent someone to represent him.

Religion shouldn't have come up that's my point
Re: Nigeria's Consular-General, New York, I Am Not A Religious Bigot by sucre2(m): 4:38pm On Aug 17, 2012
bigboy3:

Religion shouldn't have come up that's my point

He gave that as a reason why he won't attend the church service and his views should be respected for the fact that he sent someone to attend on his behalf. That to me is enough..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Appeal Court To Hear Suit Against Jonathan’s Sole Candidacy Oct. 20 / Photos: Muslim Woman Gets Kicked Out Of Donald Trump’s Event, Booed By Audience / Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Project To Be Completed In December 2021 - FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.