Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,640 members, 7,820,242 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:03 PM

34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! (18330 Views)

Shocked! My Cousin Bro Died Of Motor Accident But His Spirit Is Disturbing / Paul Vs. Jesus's Teachings: Is There A Conflict? For serious bible scholars / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: The Holy Spirit Is With You Forever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by free123: 6:36pm On Sep 08, 2012
The name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit is d name Jesus Christ. This is d only name given to us through which salvation, healing etc are given. The apostles understood this.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by k2039: 6:52pm On Sep 08, 2012
The qualifications for a person are that they have

1. A mind - able to think and act upon their thinking
--The Holy Spirit has a mind (see Romans 8:27).
--The Holy Spirit helped to settle questions during the Church Council at Jerusalem (see Acts 15:28).
--The Holy Spirit dispenses gifts to different individuals according as He wills (see 1 Corinthians 12:8-11).
--The Holy Spirit forbade some from going to preach in certain places (see Acts 16:6-7).
2. their own will - self identity
--The Holy Spirit anointed Jesus and sent Him out to preach the gospel (see Luke 4:18-19); In fact, both the Father and the Holy Spirit sent Jesus (see Isaiah 48:16).
--The Holy Spirit testifies or witnesses of Jesus (see John 15:26).
--The Holy Spirit leads God’s people (see Romans 8:14).
--The Holy Spirit teaches and causes us to remember the truth (John 14:26).
--The Holy Spirit comforts us as does Christ (John 14:16).
--The Holy Spirit strives with us (see Genesis 6:3).
--The Holy Spirit reproves us of sin, righteousness, and judgment (see John 16:8-11).
--The Holy Spirit instructs us (see Nehemiah 9:20).
3. and emotions - able to react cognitively
The Holy Spirit also has emotions, can be grieved, vexed, or pleased. (Is. 63:10; Eph. 4:30; Acts 15:28)

The Holy Spirit is identified as a Person by John, using in the Greek the masculine ekeinos in Jn.16:13.
The main purpose of the Holy Spirit was to come alongside the believer, to do what Jesus did when he was here physically, but mainly from the inside of us. He is called the comforter, this would be a hard thing to do if the Holy Spirit is an impersonal force
FROSBEL YOU WRONG THIS TIME
A lot of posters have given you references
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Ubenedictus(m): 7:00pm On Sep 08, 2012
nedostic: @ All contributors and viewers,

This thread has been quite exploratory considering our dissenting views on our understanding of the Holy scriptures.

I believe what is of essence is to treat the subject matter via scriptures which Frosbel from my own understanding has been doing even though I do not fully agree with some of his own views.

The point I have always said we should ponder is this if the Almighty God is an invisible being,thus, he is a 'Living Spirit' and this makes our God a 'HOLY SPIRIT'. Right or wrong?

More so, I am sure without doubt most of us know fully well that the word 'God' is a title.

Let us equally recall the baptism of our Saviour- The lord Jesus Christ, how the Spirit descended upon him like a dove.

I also believe that our God manifested in the flesh as a Son, as well as a'Heavenly Father'.

I have always wanted bible scholars in this forum to adduce the reason why the apostles adopted the name of Jesus Christ as the baptism formula mostly cited in the bible and not in the name of the three titles or the supposedly trinitarian dogma as instructed by Jesus Christ. Could the apostles be termed as disobedient servants in this case? God forbid!

I await a response from all your bible scholars on the reasons for the 'paradigm' shift from baptism in the name of the father, son, and Holy Spirit. Also recall, that name is singular and not pluralized-'in the name of......
the singular 'name' is and evidence for the trinity, the 3 person are one.

Hint: In case you are not sure of how baptism was done by the apostles and the early church, just 'google' it.
it was done in 3 ways, by immersion, sprinkling and pouring. The didache will give historical proof.

May God help us all! Let me say that we cannot fully fathom whom God is. Its not possible!
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by aletheia(m): 7:12pm On Sep 08, 2012
frosbel:
I deviate slightly here. I believe in the divinity of Christ but only as far as he was anointed by the Spirit of GOD.
Actually, you deviate significantly as to be considered to have left the road completely. So Jesus Christ is divine "only as far as he was anointed by the Spirit of GOD."
You have been fully unmasked here. . .for the light of the following verses clearly reveals your error.
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: (Phil 2)

5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen. (Rom 9)

13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

And we shouldn't forget: "the Word was God. . .And the Word was made flesh"

We have already been warned about the likes of you:
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. (Col 2)

frosbel:
God was in Christ not Christ in GOD.
More inconsistent waffling. Didn't you write earlier that the Word (Christ) was in God. . .when you were going on about the meaaning of the Greek word pros.
frosbel: In fact, the word “with” in John 1.1 is the word pros, which most often translated “to” or “toward.” So the word was toward God or with God or within God—it was close to his heart.
Such inconsistent wobbling all over the place is what comes of trying to defend a lie. Truth is simple and constant. And Jesus Himself declares that God the Father is in Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ is in God the Father:
10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. (John 14)
Oh yes, come and tell us now that the word "in" here means something else.

frosbel:
Consider the following scripture.

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." - Galatians 2:20

Here we see that we live, yet not us but Christ who lives in us , only as far as we yield to him into obedience.
Obviously used out of context. . .since we have established that God the Father is in Jesus Christ. . .shall we say then "that the Father lives, yet not the Father but Christ who lives in the Father , only as far as the Father yields to him into obedience."

You can see how easy it is to show the absurdity of your posts because they are based on a selective rendering of scriptures.

frosbel:
God almighty through his Spirit was able to fully dwell in Christ and anoint him because our meek, loving saviour fully and totally yielded to the father making him ONE with the father in purpose and salvation.
The Word of God (manifested in the flesh on earth as Jesus Christ) was ONE with the Father in purpose from eternity, even before the foundation of the world.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by k2039: 7:17pm On Sep 08, 2012
Fr0sbel:
So tell me High Priest aletheia , you say GOD is ONE.

Father God = 1
Jesus Christ = 1
Holy Spirit = 1

1+1+1 = 3 huh

But according to our resident professor, 1+1+1 = 1

The one simply means they agree
Ofcourse in Heaven God is on the throne and Jesus is at the right hand,so the ones means they agree together(they are still distinctive)

This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.Genesis 2:24(they are still 2 different people,but their oneness is thier agreement together in decisions etc)

1 Like

Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by ijawkid(m): 7:24pm On Sep 08, 2012
k2039: The qualifications for a person are that they have

1. A mind - able to think and act upon their thinking
--The Holy Spirit has a mind (see Romans 8:27).
--The Holy Spirit helped to settle questions during the Church Council at Jerusalem (see Acts 15:28).
--The Holy Spirit dispenses gifts to different individuals according as He wills (see 1 Corinthians 12:8-11).
--The Holy Spirit forbade some from going to preach in certain places (see Acts 16:6-7).
2. their own will - self identity
--The Holy Spirit anointed Jesus and sent Him out to preach the gospel (see Luke 4:18-19); In fact, both the Father and the Holy Spirit sent Jesus (see Isaiah 48:16).
--The Holy Spirit testifies or witnesses of Jesus (see John 15:26).
--The Holy Spirit leads God’s people (see Romans 8:14).
--The Holy Spirit teaches and causes us to remember the truth (John 14:26).
--The Holy Spirit comforts us as does Christ (John 14:16).
--The Holy Spirit strives with us (see Genesis 6:3).
--The Holy Spirit reproves us of sin, righteousness, and judgment (see John 16:8-11).
--The Holy Spirit instructs us (see Nehemiah 9:20).
3. and emotions - able to react cognitively
The Holy Spirit also has emotions, can be grieved, vexed, or pleased. (Is. 63:10; Eph. 4:30; Acts 15:28)

The Holy Spirit is identified as a Person by John, using in the Greek the masculine ekeinos in Jn.16:13.
The main purpose of the Holy Spirit was to come alongside the believer, to do what Jesus did when he was here physically, but mainly from the inside of us. He is called the comforter, this would be a hard thing to do if the Holy Spirit is an impersonal force
FROSBEL YOU WRONG THIS TIME
A lot of posters have given you references

And a person who is GOD ,that belongs to a GODhead made up of 3 GOds shuld be in the picture seen in heaven...

Yahweh sits(BABA GOD,OGA),Jesus sits down @ d right hand of Yahweh,but the holy spirit who is purportedly said to be a distinct person from Yahweh and Jesus and who shuld be in that arrangement is no where to be found......

David saw that vision,John saw the same vision,stephen b4 he died did see that picture,paul too saw it........

But in all of it,the holy spirit was no where to be found.........

Where was the holy spirit??
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Sweetnecta: 7:34pm On Sep 08, 2012
@aletheia, frosbel, fr0sbel, olaadegbu, bujatyne, etc; is each of you or are all of you suffering from temporary blindness to see what i wrote here and the new thread in your honor to clear up the hearing and speaking part of the duties and or description of the another comforter you said is formless and bodiless holy spirit, a ghost instead of a solid body, flesh and blood human male with mouth to speak out after using ears to hear from God The Boss?

you people in my opinion are hypocrites who are worse than the little faith disciples. maybe thats why you are arguing for the most part with materials from paul who if not the another comforter because he claimed he heard from Jesus who had heard from God when he was on earth, and paul claimed Jesus spoke to instruct him, about what to go, or is paul a liar leading you all astray and you wanna lead us to this peril destination?

here is your chance to set the record straight and you people are wasting valuable opportunity on yourselves. do you know you can catch me and many muslims if you can get ourselves together, though you failed in pointing to us much earlier that Jesus is God who deserves all worship, a chance for wholeale conversion of Lagosshia and me and many others.

dont waste this opportunity guys, hence you will be as good as idol worshipers or chronic hypocrites, liars, inviting to evil or stubbornly clinging to evil.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by k2039: 7:35pm On Sep 08, 2012
ijawkid:

David saw that vision,John saw the same vision,stephen b4 he died did see that picture,paul too saw it........

John and Stephen saw there revelation after the day of pentecost(Holy Spirit was on earth}
Besides did David see the 24 elders,(my point the fact that He didnt see them didnt mean they were not there)
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Nobody: 7:38pm On Sep 08, 2012
Some of you guys offering answers to Frosbel are missing a brilliant picture. Before this guy aletheia, Frosbel was something. He drove Christians crazy. I myself refused to continue engaging him when I saw how eager he was to rewrite the Bible and how little tolerance I could afford him to do so. My twin, Mr Anony, had been otherwise engaged and big bro Enigma had lost all patience with him as well.

Aletheia comes and a can of really disgusting worms spills. I can't say how much I love that. I'm glad the Lord held us all back. But for some of you guys offering answers to Frosbel, you probably need to take a step back and look at the picture. He hasn't got his match in Aletheia, he's got a stronger opponent and a more able than himself. His arguments are unravelling to show their true nature. Whatever that experience during his undergrad days back in the uni might have been, its true worth is being shown now.

Frosbel, you asked for Scriptures, right? You're getting a shipload of them. You asked for a debate too, right? Given the degree of incoherence you have been exhibiting and your empty answers, you're getting a bellyache-full of it, no? You wanted examination of submitted points, right? Well, sir, you got a winner in Aletheia. Bless your heart, you've got more than you demanded. Have yourself some fun.......if you can manage it, of course.

Aletheia, more strength to you, bro. The Lord bless your words and establish His Authority by them.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Goshen360(m): 7:40pm On Sep 08, 2012
ijawkid:

And a person who is GOD ,that belongs to a GODhead made up of 3 GOds shuld be in the picture seen in heaven...

Yahweh sits(BABA GOD,OGA),Jesus sits down @ d right hand of Yahweh,but the holy spirit who is purportedly said to be a distinct person from Yahweh and Jesus and who shuld be in that arrangement is no where to be found......

You have asked this kweshion many times in the past. If you ask me, na who I go ask......You do not expect to see the Holy Spirit when it is written,

But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. John 16:7 NIV.

The Holy Spirit is operating in the lives of believers on earth today being possessed in their regenerated spirits. This is the Spirit that indwells a mortal man to show or reveal the visions you talked about. Now, if this Spirit indwells the above mentioned believers, do you expect the same Holy Spirit to show/reveal Himself while He indwells this believers

If you ask me na who I go ask.....O ya, ask the audience.... grin grin grin
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by k2039: 7:52pm On Sep 08, 2012
Frosbel,I think the problem is just due to the fact that you dont agree with the Roman Catholic Church,as a result its affecting your reasoning(you trying to fault all roman catholic doctrine(you just want to fault the trinity doctrine)).
As much as I dont agree with all of the RCC doctrine,some of their doctrine is right and trinity is not an exception.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by nedostic: 7:52pm On Sep 08, 2012
@All,

Let us not use our limited senses to decipher whom the Almighty God is. Human vision or capability is so limited to know the all-knowing Lord.

@Ubenedictus,

I asked in what name did the apostles baptize converts during their days on earth and not how they did it?

Please cite from the bible, in what name the baptisms as recorded in the bible done by the Apostles.

@ Frosbel,

I believe there is only one name given to man to be saved as well as to be baptized in,without mincing words the name Jesus Christ represents the name of the Father,Son and Holy Spirit. The Apostles caught this revelation during the Pentecost from the Holy Spirit.

@ Trinity Apologist

I asked a question. If the invisible God is a living spirit, so who is the Holy Spirit? Are we trying to separate God as a living 'holy' spirit from the Holy Spirit? Trinity is a pagan doctrine as far as I am concerned.

The living God = The Holy Spirit='Other manifestations beyond our human reasoning'

Let us all be guarded that God is beyond the trinity dogma. The Almighty can manifest in whatsoever inform 'HE' pleases and in so many dimensions. Our Creator is beyond our myopic and 'limited' imaginations.

Need I remind you that in the old testament, God manifested as a rock, pillar of cloud and fire,burning bush,etc.

He who believes in Jesus Christ, does the will of the Father and the Holy Spirit of God operates in such a person's life. Every 'born again' has a measure of the Holy Spirit in his/her life.Kindly note that this measure of the Holy Spirit differs across individuals. As a matter of fact, this is what most of us call anointing.

May the good Lord grant us wisdom and mercy!
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Sweetnecta: 8:16pm On Sep 08, 2012
@k209 and thedenobi:
by k2039(m): 7:35pm

ijawkid:

John and Stephen saw there revelation after the day of pentecost(Holy Spirit was on earth]
Besides did David see the 24 elders,(my point the fact that He didnt see them didnt mean they were not there)

(Quote) (Report) (Like)
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Ihedinobi(m): 7:38pm
Some of you guys offering answers to Frosbel are missing a brilliant picture. Before this guy aletheia, Frosbel was something. He drove Christians crazy. I myself refused to continue engaging him when I saw how eager he was to rewrite the Bible and how little tolerance I could afford him to do so. My twin, Mr Anony, had been otherwise engaged and big bro Enigma had lost all patience with him as well.

Aletheia comes and a can of really disgusting worms spills. I can't say how much I love that. I'm glad the Lord held us all back. But for some of you guys offering answers to Frosbel, you probably need to take a step back and look at the picture. He hasn't got his match in Aletheia, he's got a stronger opponent and a more able than himself. His arguments are unravelling to show their true nature. Whatever that experience during his undergrad days back in the uni might have been, its true worth is being shown now.

Frosbel, you asked for Scriptures, right? You're getting a shipload of them. You asked for a debate too, right? Given the degree of incoherence you have been exhibiting and your empty answers, you're getting a bellyache-full of it, no? You wanted examination of submitted points, right? Well, sir, you got a winner in Aletheia. Bless your heart, you've got more than you demanded. Have yourself some fun.......if you can manage it, of course.

Aletheia, more strength to you, bro. The Lord bless your words and establish His Authority by them.
only if anyone, especially the lionized aletheia can just show me if no one else the holy spirit came on earth as another comforter and heard from God Almighty The Sender of Jesus Christ and Holy Spirit spoke to the disciples so clearly they knew it was the another comforter, and he spoke to no one else and the disciples recorded what he spoke in his correcting them, leading them to all truth, teaching them new things to come, point out sins of man to them, praising Jesus in front of them and remaining with them forever. Can you tell aletheia to tell us these here, giving example[s] of each and how it was accomplished? I am interesting in the hear and speak parts and these can be settled by knowing what he heard and how he spoke it aloud to humans then and kept quite forever, while the disciples recorded it for prosperity, the only way you christians after the disciples can know about what the holy spirit said, in the same way you get to know about Jesus by the Gospels.

@Goshen60:
by Goshen360(m): 7:40pm

ijawkid:

You have asked this kweshion many times in the past. If you ask me, na who I go ask......You do not expect to see the Holy Spirit when it is written,

But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. John 16:7 NIV.

The Holy Spirit is operating in the lives of believers on earth today being possessed in their regenerated spirits. This is the Spirit that indwells a mortal man to show or reveal the visions you talked about. Now, if this Spirit indwells the above mentioned believers, do you expect the same Holy Spirit to show/reveal Himself while He indwells this believers huh

'to you' in the first bold were the disciples and no one else. so to claim that the holy spirit is operating in the lives of the believers "the christians", today is not agreeing with Jesus in the prophesy of the holy spirit to come as counselor, the another comforter.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by ijawkid(m): 8:25pm On Sep 08, 2012
Goshen360:

The Holy Spirit is operating in the lives of believers on earth today being possessed in their regenerated spirits. This is the Spirit that indwells a mortal man to show or reveal the visions you talked about. Now, if this Spirit indwells the above mentioned believers, do you expect the same Holy Spirit to show/reveal Himself while He indwells this believers

Heheheheh....
My bro ur answer actually shows the holy spirit can't be a person...

So because the holy spirit came after Jesus and is in all of us ,so that shuld make d holy spirit not return to heaven to join the triune manifold......??hehehehehehehhe...

Its like u'v forgotten that,that same holy spirit had always operated in the lives of faithful patriarchs of old(moses,abraham,sarah,the prophets etc)........its not like until Jesus promised the holy spirit,that's when it started operating in the lives of servants of Yahweh....

Ur answer purports that since the holy spirit was poured out on Gods servants its presence left the heaven completely....

So ur answer doesn't answer why the holy spirit shuld be missing from that heavenly arrangement if it is a person and part of a trinity.....

Goshen ur reply doesn't really answer d question above.....lol..

Remember u haven't actually told me where we shuld fix the holy spirit in the headship arrangement as recorded in 1 corinthians 11:3....

If the holy spirit is a person and part of the GODhead(trinity) there must be an answer to this question....
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by DeepSight(m): 8:30pm On Sep 08, 2012
HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You mean this topic has come up again?

AND VERY VERY interesting to see that EVEN Christians, ARE reasonably questioning the idea that the Holy Spirit is a personal being by itself!

Well, fellas, acquaint yasefs with past encounters on same!

https://www.nairaland.com/490515/holy-spirit-personal-sentient-being
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Goshen360(m): 8:31pm On Sep 08, 2012
@ Ijawkid and other anti-trinity,

That if God were deduced to a mathematical formulae he would not be 1+1+1=3 which would be tritheism, but would be 1x1x1=1, a unified one. None of the persons can exist without the other, they all make up the one God in unity. I have told you that NOT one person bears the name "God", please get that truth. That each person dwells in the other two which makes God indivisible and unquantifiable, so that wherever one of the persons of God is, all of God is there.

Maybe the word "Trinity" should not be used BUT facts and evidence is in the Bible that not one being bears God and these three are ONE, a unified ONE but distinct and this is what trinity is all about. I guess we are just angry with the word "Trinity" because it doesn't appear in the Bible. This I can personally understand but it uses that word "Trinity" just to make a subject/topic, I suppose.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by truthislight: 8:32pm On Sep 08, 2012
aletheia:
So you agree that Jesus is God. Good. Now consider these:
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost
What do you understand by this verse? What does "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" mean?

2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. 3 And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away. 4 ¶So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost, departed unto Seleucia; and from thence they sailed to Cyprus.(Acts 13)

3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? (Acts 5)

So let's see. . .the Holy Spirit speaks, refers to Himself as I, sends out people and can be lied to. Can an impersonal influence do all these or have personal attributes as these?

Oh and by the way, you agree that it is God and not men who are blasphemed against, wouldn't you?
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. (Matthew 12)
^^^
are this the explicit calling of the holy spirit God?

Did you not read and see how clear Jesus was called God? Isaiah 9:6

Or those are inferences of God Yahweh activities via his power?

This power that he sent to Jesus and also his apostles com his disciples?

How then do you or can you understand the gift of the spirit that enabled the disciples to speak in tonques? Was that also not the holy spirit?

That they spoke in tongues is that not the doing of the holy spirit?

So, when the holy spirit enable someone to speak in tongues we call that person God?

What of when it enable an animal to speak?

When James address the audience on the issue of circumcission did he and them the apostles and older men not say it was the holyspirit? Hmmm!

Does'nt those that speak in tongues also say it is the holy spirit that is talking?

This is too petty an inference.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by truthislight: 8:36pm On Sep 08, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Good. You see, I just received my mission in this discussion. From now on, I'm the court clown. I'm gonna take every comment that reeks of idiocy and perform corrective surgery on it. Not all comments can be healed though, some like most of truthislight's are terminally ill with cancer in very advanced stages of metastasis, so I won't bother with those.

cool

thank you
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by free123: 8:48pm On Sep 08, 2012
mohammedians can never surrender. seeing that no one is interested in your warlord, why cant u take ur incomplete islam (without the mention of ur alleged corrupt Bible) to ur brothers in islamic section? i can asure u will get better answers instead of wasting ur time on those trying their best to bring out their brother frosbel out of JW/Eckist mentality.

frosbel u need some time out. take a break and stop using d internet for now, it might help put ur senses back.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by k2039: 8:53pm On Sep 08, 2012
Goshen360: @ Ijawkid and other anti-trinity,

That if God were deduced to a mathematical formulae he would not be 1+1+1=3 which would be tritheism, but would be 1x1x1=1, a unified one. None of the persons can exist without the other, they all make up the one God in unity. I have told you that NOT one person bears the name "God", please get that truth. That each person dwells in the other two which makes God indivisible and unquantifiable, so that wherever one of the persons of God is, all of God is there.

Maybe the word "Trinity" should not be used BUT facts and evidence is in the Bible that not one being bears God and these three are ONE, a unified ONE but distinct and this is what trinity is all about. I guess we are just angry with the word "Trinity" because it doesn't appear in the Bible. This I can personally understand but it uses that word "Trinity" just to make a subject/topic, I suppose.
GOD=FATHER+SON+HOLY SPIRIT
I think the problem with most people is just that they use the word Father and God interchangeably and thats why their is a lot of confusion
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by k2039: 8:57pm On Sep 08, 2012
Sweetnecta: @k209 and thedenobi: only if anyone, especially the lionized aletheia can just show me if no one else the holy spirit came on earth as another comforter and heard from God Almighty The Sender of Jesus Christ and Holy Spirit spoke to the disciples so clearly they knew it was the another comforter, and he spoke to no one else and the disciples recorded what he spoke in his correcting them, leading them to all truth, teaching them new things to come, point out sins of man to them, praising Jesus in front of them and remaining with them forever. Can you tell aletheia to tell us these here, giving example[s] of each and how it was accomplished? I am interesting in the hear and speak parts and these can be settled by knowing what he heard and how he spoke it aloud to humans then and kept quite forever, while the disciples recorded it for prosperity, the only way you christians after the disciples can know about what the holy spirit said, in the same way you get to know about Jesus by the Gospels.

At this point I may just have to doubt the salvation of certain people and the christianity being profess by certain individuals(meaning their has been no encounter with the Holy Spirit)
I dont even need the Holy Scriptures to prove that the Holy Spirit speaks.Its a personal experience from the day I got saved,spoke in tongues till now.
It's just a personal experience and thats why I can never deny the existence of the Holy Spirit.(FOR THE RECORDS I WAS AN ATHEIST AT A POINT IN MY LIFE(then I was a fool)
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by DeepSight(m): 9:02pm On Sep 08, 2012
k2039:
GOD=FATHER+SON+HOLY SPIRIT
I think the problem with most people is just that they use the word Father and God interchangeably and thats why their is a lot of confusion

My dear brother.

Please do not be sucked into this confusion.

GOD = GOD.

Jesus = Jesus.

Holy Spirit = The Living Power of God.

2 Likes

Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by DeepSight(m): 9:03pm On Sep 08, 2012
k2039:

I dont even need the Holy Scriptures to prove that the Holy Spirit speaks.Its a personal experience from the day I got saved,spoke in tongues till now.

Rabasacaba nebe hembe bascarapana ipolala havana, hallelujah.

Happy now?
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Goshen360(m): 9:05pm On Sep 08, 2012
@ truthislight

This is one issue with you. First, you only call yourself "truthislight" but lack how to communicate with other people called believers like yourself. This has been seen many times with you in this session. I pray you look into this aspect of your life.

Second. I gave up on you and Ijawkid in giving you more scriptures where the Holy Spirit is called God since I realized you are hard bent and believe the Holy Spirit is ONLY a force, influencer or power from God to a believer and not a distinct being. The scripture I first gave you and Ijawkid where the Holy Spirit is called God:

But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back [part] of the price of the land? Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God. Acts 5:3-4 Kjv

What did you do with the scripture after I gave it to you? You and Ijawkid turned it down and came up with stories saying it's not valid (on your own authority) and it doesn't mean what it say. Now, how can lie unto the Holy Ghost be lie unto God IF the Holy Ghost is not God OR how can lie unto God be same as lie unto Holy Ghost IF Holy Ghost is not God?

Third. I gave up talking to you and Ijawkid on this subject with the thought that, how am I sure if I give you another scripture saying the Holy Spirit is God....How am I sure you will still not cook up another story against it? And yet, you are looking for scriptures that explicitly call the Holy Spirit, God. You simple don't believe in Trinity and the evidence is very clear. So no amount of scriptures shown to you, Ijawkid, frosbel and others alike will do anything. You will still come up around reasoning God as 1+1+1 rather than 1x1x1.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by k2039: 9:09pm On Sep 08, 2012
Deep Sight:

My dear brother.

Please do not be sucked into this confusion.

GOD = GOD.

Jesus = Jesus.

Holy Spirit = The Living Power of God.
I dont have a problem with the fact that the three are distinctive.The Israelite refered to God has Elohim(meant governing council)
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Nobody: 9:11pm On Sep 08, 2012
aletheia:
Actually, you deviate significantly as to be considered to have left the road completely. So Jesus Christ is divine "only as far as he was anointed by the Spirit of GOD."

If Jesus Christ was GOD , why was he anointed by the Holy Spirit of GOD to carry out the wondrous works that he did.

Surely you are not saying that GOD anointed GOD , right ?

So in your opinion, GOD died , was raised by GOD and he sent GOD to empower Christians to preach the gospel

You have been fully unmasked here. . .for the light of the following verses clearly reveals your error.
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: (Phil 2)

Since when did in the form of GOD = GOD. Appears that grammar is the problem here.

He was in the form of GOD but not GOD.

If "in the form of God" means the very nature of God, then Christ could not have been "Very God" while on earth, as trinitarians assert, since this is what he is said to have sacrificed and left behind in coming to the earth.

He had the semblance and demeanour of the Father mentally and morally. His character was the express image of his Father's person. (Heb. 1:3).

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
He who, while he was in the form of God, did not esteem this as a prize, that he was the equal of God - Philippians 2:6

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,- Philippians 2:6

"He did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped." Unlike Eve who grasped after the fruit which was to be desired to make one like God (the "elohim" ) to know good and evil, Jesus refused to take the kingdoms of the world without the crucifixion of the flesh and the declaration of the righteousness of his Father. In the Garden of Gethsemane he subjected his will to his Father's, not arrogating to himself prerogatives that rightly belonged to his Father. (Matt. 26:39)

5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen. (Rom 9)

13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;[/i]

And we shouldn't forget: "the Word was God. . .And the Word was made flesh"

Nonsense, This is not referring to Christ as GOD.

Paul enumerates the spiritual privileges of Israel: The Sonship, the glory (Shekinah glory), the covenants, the law, the temple worship, the promises, the patriarchs, and the Messiah himself of Jewish lineage.

The apostle then concludes with a thankful ascription of praise to God for all that He has done for Israel.

Slow down, you are getting over anxious.

We have already been warned about the likes of you:
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. (Col 2)

So funny if it were not so serious that a polytheist is calling me a false teacher.

I believe in ONE GOD as Christ said.

"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one."- Mark 12:29

Besides you seem stuck on your Catholic KJV.

Let us see other correct translations :

"For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form," - Colossians 2:9 NIV

"because all the essence of deity inhabits him in bodily form." - Colossians 2:9 ISV

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
For all The Fullness of The Deity dwells in him bodily - Colossians 2:9

Erasmus has surely deceived you as well.

More inconsistent waffling. Didn't you write earlier that the Word (Christ) was in God. . .when you were going on about the meaaning of the Greek word pros.

You are getting off track here my friend.

Such inconsistent wobbling all over the place is what comes of trying to defend a lie. Truth is simple and constant. And Jesus Himself declares that God the Father is in Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ is in God the Father:
10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. (John 14)
Oh yes, come and tell us now that the word "in" here means something else.

God the father 'is in' Christ should not be a difficult concept to grasp except to a Trinitarian.

God indwelt Christ through his Spirit or Holy Spirit and was performing all the works through HIM. But this does not mean that Christ was GOD.

So Jesus Christ 'in' us means we can also call ourselves Christ right , otherwise explain the following :

"To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory." - Colossians 1:27

or

Ephesians 3:16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being

Basically what you are saying is that GOD was in GOD reconciling the world to himself, however the bible rebukes you with this verse :

"that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation." - 2 Corinthians 5:19

Obviously used out of context. . .since we have established that God the Father is in Jesus Christ. . .shall we say then "that the Father lives, yet not the Father but Christ who lives in the Father , only as far as the Father yields to him into obedience."

You can see how easy it is to show the absurdity of your posts because they are based on a selective rendering of scriptures.

stop thinking upside down, reread my comment, you are getting heated up and forgetting the basics.

The Word of God (manifested in the flesh on earth as Jesus Christ) was ONE with the Father in purpose from eternity, even before the foundation of the world.

As what ?

If as the WORD , then we agree , the WORD was with the Father as his creative WORD which was used to bring the world into existence and create MAN.

But if you are trying to say this WORD was a being , my question is as what ?

As a spirit, or angel, or what ?
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by k2039: 9:19pm On Sep 08, 2012
frosbel:

If Jesus Christ was GOD , why was he anointed by the Holy Spirit of GOD to carry out the wondrous works that he did.
This is the real issue,who are you referring to as God(I guess you referring to the Father)
Elohim is the hebrew name for God,and you should understand the meaning of Elohim before you proceed
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Goshen360(m): 9:19pm On Sep 08, 2012
frosbel:

If as the WORD , then we agree , the WORD was with the Father as his creative WORD which was used to bring the world into existence and create MAN.

But if you are trying to say this WORD was a being , my question is as what ?

As a spirit, or angel, or what ?

You mean God was referring to his own word by Himself as "US" when God said......"let US make man in our own image". Will that mean God was talking to Angel......and man was created in the image of angel? If this is what you are saying......then I berrer start to study my bible again, it's like I have been on Holy Ghost vacation grin
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by truthislight: 9:23pm On Sep 08, 2012
Goshen360:

according to you, you have three Gods and not one .

Good for you.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by k2039: 9:24pm On Sep 08, 2012
Some of the problem really has to do with translation.

The name commonly used for God in the Old Testament is the Hebrew word Elohim. It is also found in the singular form El and Elah. Whenever we find the English word "God" used in the Old Testament, it is a translation of this Hebrew word Elohim or one of its forms

The noun Elohim is plural but it is always used with a singular verb when it speaks of the true God. This indicates a unity and diversity within the nature of God. This unity and diversity is revealed in Scripture as the doctrine of the Trinity.
Elohim means Gods or the Council of the Gods(Elohim refers to the combination of the three persons)
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Nobody: 9:24pm On Sep 08, 2012
k2039:
This is the real issue,who are you referring to as God(I guess you referring to the Father)
Elohim is the hebrew name for God,and you should understand the meaning of Elohim before you proceed

The Hebrew word we are considering is "Elohim". In the OT it is translated more than 2300 times as "God" (singular) and only about 240 times as "gods" (plural). Same Hebrew spelling -- different meaning!

Elohim actually does refer to the ONE God of Moses. We must not allow allow these few cases to divert our attention from the the vast majority of other uses of Elohim where it is clearly singular in meaning. In those few cases, translators allow the context to control the translation -- NOT the plural verbs and pronouns. They are recognised as unusual cases of "Plural Intensive", and therefore translated as singular.)

The common mistake made, especially by Trinitarian theologians, is to fail to distinguish between these TWO different uses of "Elohim" just described above. And THAT leads to all sorts of illogical conclusions! (Such as the Trinity, or Oneness, or Arianism)

Although there is no direct equivalent for "plural intensive" in English, we could use "sheep" singular and "sheep" plural, to illustrate the important point that words in English can have identical spelling, but be either singular or plural in meaning. We have no way of knowing which is intended until we read the verb and/or pronoun which accompanies the word. Then we can tell at a glance. i.e.

If we say "the sheep IS in the field", the SINGULAR verb tells us that there is only ONE!

But if we say "the sheep ARE in the field", the PLURAL verb tells us that there is MORE than one.

For simplified practical layman's purposes, that is how it is with the great majority of appearances of ELOHIM in the Hebrew Old Testament.

Maxwell Moses
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Goshen360(m): 9:28pm On Sep 08, 2012
truthislight:

according to you, you have three Gods and not one .

Good for you.

When you understand the concept and meaning of the word "God"....you will STOP all this arguments.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

How Many Times Do They Collect Offerings In Your Place Of Worship? / Lady With Blocked Fallopian Tube Shares Testimony, Now Has 3 Kids / Your Opinion: Do You Think King Pharoah Will Go To Hell?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 177
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.