Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,784 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:14 PM

Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? (27445 Views)

She Left Him After 2yrs Of Courtship / The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? / After Years of Courtship, She's Getting Married To Another Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by Jambsupport(f): 8:36am On Sep 13, 2012
wawa_boy: I met my wife in March for the first time. August i did my intro. NOV. My trad and my wit wedding in Dec. And we are Living happily. Long or short courtship is not a guarantee for staying in marriage. Any lady above 25yrs shuld be mindful of whom she is going out wit. Some guys re time wasters. After enjoying u for yrs, they will cook up an excuse "My mother said , my father said or i want build a hse in vgc first?". Shine ur eyes.
tnk u so much

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by yankidelta(m): 8:37am On Sep 13, 2012
obowunmi: @ yankidelta: good tips.

Thanks ma sis na my lil experience oo from 2yrs in marriage
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by WAM1(f): 8:43am On Sep 13, 2012
Hmm ...
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by Goldieluks: 8:44am On Sep 13, 2012
bamac: ... So na only God fearing man fit make gud uzbnd? And al dz characters a man must v to make a gud uzbnd by u dictate to me dt only a perfect man make a good uzbnd,isnt it?

As you can see, i listed few characteristics, just to sight as an example. Yes of course men/women who are God fearing
tends to know what they are getting themselves into, and what they want to achieve from a courtship.
I don't know about non- God fearing men.
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by dubem3(m): 8:47am On Sep 13, 2012
nyere84: Mr Ayobase, i cant believe u wrote dis. I remember vividly in one post abt Ex, U said “ Relationships must not end in marriage“. Pls, clarify me on ur stand abt dis. And b sincere.
must it?
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by dubem3(m): 8:50am On Sep 13, 2012
ayobase:

Brother, I gentle o...na u I suppose dey ask wassup...u just disappeared...hope na money tinz o!
lol... my broda no talk wetin u see oh.
how' the capital city nah?
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by mko2005: 9:29am On Sep 13, 2012
Goldieluks:

Because it is wrong to court someone for years without marrying that person. Six months courtship
should be the maximum, of getting to know one's partner.

You can't know any one good enough to get married to him/her for just two months.2YRS EVEN can never be enough.And if you ask me,i dnt think ten yrs will be enough.I know of a couple who courted for 15yrs and just a yr and six months in their marriage they divorced with both parties saying the other partner started behaving in a strange way.So 15yrs couldn't just be enough !
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by mko2005: 9:45am On Sep 13, 2012
Goldieluks:

As you can see, i listed few characteristics, just to sight as an example. Yes of course men/women who are God fearing
tends to know what they are getting themselves into, and what they want to achieve from a courtship.
I don't know about non- God fearing men.

Courtship shouldn't be mentioned among believers at all.Leave it for un believers.If i dnt know where am going to and i ask God to direct me and HE DOES,what else do i need courtship for ?I see a God fearing lady i like,i told myself of my future with her in marriage and i'm not troubled in my heart concerning that,i proposed to her and she accepts,what do i need to study her for?I know already that humans are capable of changing per time.Everything other study,learning,compatibility check,.adjustments,growth in God's ways must be in marriage it self.
If you disagree with these,go ahead with ur 10-15yrs courtship,i bet you,you will still come back to all the above listed and you may finally divorce becos you will be so disappointed that u were so dumb not to have seen all those issues in courtship before marriage.
Besides,in courtship that may never end in marriage,you most certainly had slept(sex)with urselves that at break up time,the lady will be the worst hit ! I must tell u,courtship brought about the high rate of divorce in the world today and it's speedily eating deep into our own society.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by mko2005: 9:52am On Sep 13, 2012
ayobase:

Two yrs?
Two yrs mutiplied by 10 men equal 20yrs o!
Why not 3 months?

Na 3 months you wan take study person ?
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by bukatyne(f): 10:06am On Sep 13, 2012
long courtship falls into two categories:
case 1: a guy and lady meet on campus, are serious about each other and continue into marriage. in such instances, d courtship would last years. e.g. i m in a 6 year relationship and we started in year 1.

case 2: after school/service, they meet and have a long courtship.

for case 1, the courtship is not long b'cos of unseriousness but financial maturity etc while case 2 is mostly unseriousness. As to why both cases end up broken, it's mostly due to pretence and lack of sincerity. some people are in d relationship b'cos they ve something they re benefittin from it. some people have no clear direction in life and are just flowing in all aspects including their relationships. some people actually have someone else on the side and are just playing in the 'relationship' or how do one explain the fact that 3 months after the break up of a longtime relationship, a man/woman is getting married?

i believe when a relationship is heading somewhere or not, the two parties know. i would advice ladies esp to know d kind of guy they are in a long relationship/courtship with. ask yourself these questions: does this man have a future ambition? if yes, does he carry me along? do i feature in his plans? does he hint about our lives together i.e. in marriage? what are my own aspirations and dreams? does our dreams fit in together? are we heading to the same place? etc and wit these few questions answered truthfully and sincerely, you would know where you stand.

lastly, the place of God must not be forgotten. commit the beginning, middle and end to Him.
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by rosita112: 10:55am On Sep 13, 2012
Reasons why most long term relationships never lead to marriage is because the foundation of the relationship is built on SIN. yes SIN because the so called boyfriend and girlfriend will be fornicating and living in sin. Then most times ladies get blinded emotionally cos they are some what carried away with the fantasies they have up in their head that it will eventually lead to marriage. I for one had a long relationship which ended up in marriage only by the grace of God. 13yrs we dated before we eventualy married. I will never encorage my girl child to do such because of what i experienced. Numerous abortions and trauma i put myself through just to please a man and my silly self at the time , now i know better cos i'm more matured and have the fear of God.
bottom line, women hold on to your dignity, your virginity. date but never give it up except he wants to wife you for real, by the time you give it up you have lost your value and may want to hold on to a relationship for fear of starting over with another guy and all that shit that could be avoided in the first place.
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by destinedtee(m): 11:12am On Sep 13, 2012
m.k.o2005:

You can't know any one good enough to get married to him/her for just two months.2YRS EVEN can never be enough.And if you ask me,i dnt think ten yrs will be enough.I know of a couple who courted for 15yrs and just a yr and six months in their marriage they divorced with both parties saying the other partner started behaving in a strange way.So 15yrs couldn't just be enough !

[quote author=m.k.o2005]

I agree with u.Divine Direction is still the best way of getting the right partner and hence having a fulfilled marriage.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by nneh1(f): 11:21am On Sep 13, 2012
The only reason marriage stand is because of societal influence and the stigma of divorce in Nigeria. Truth.

But I'm still confuse on why it is only the woman labeled as ' used ' . Even me it confuses me more.
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by Dynaman(m): 11:23am On Sep 13, 2012
12 months is recommended so u can know ur partner or walk if life with her will be miserable cos I will not want to die in d hands a pretty devil. Secondly women feel used because d man is always d user on bed period!
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by nneh1(f): 11:25am On Sep 13, 2012
bottom line, women hold on to your dignity, your virginity. Everyone knows this but seems to lament when they ve lost theirs. Pls give me the advice when you still ve yours.
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by obowunmi(m): 11:55am On Sep 13, 2012
nneh1: bottom line, women hold on to your dignity, your virginity. Everyone knows this but seems to lament when they ve lost theirs. Pls give me the advice when you still ve yours.

You stay a virgin, get married and then your husband dumps you - what will you do, kill yourself?
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by goofie: 12:41pm On Sep 13, 2012
suolboy:
this is a typical lie. am in a 11 years relationship now and about to get married, meaning we done introduction and I have paid dowry . the good thing about it is that we are more sure of one another and can live the rest of our lives together peacefully.

11 yrs? to me dts a waste of years. its too damn long. d amt of yrs dnt matter jor. a relative of mine dated for 13yrs b4 marriage and their marriage doesnt make me wanna get married.dey make it look hard.

even though u date for 20yrs,der will still be things u hv to learn in marriage abt ur spouse.
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by Zeebah23(f): 1:05pm On Sep 13, 2012
m.k.o2005:

Courtship shouldn't be mentioned among believers at all.Leave it for un believers.If i dnt know where am going to and i ask God to direct me and HE DOES,what else do i need courtship for ?I see a God fearing lady i like,i told myself of my future with her in marriage and i'm not troubled in my heart concerning that,i proposed to her and she accepts,what do i need to study her for?I know already that humans are capable of changing per time.Everything other study,learning,compatibility check,.adjustments,growth in God's ways must be in marriage it self.
If you disagree with these,go ahead with ur 10-15yrs courtship,i bet you,you will still come back to all the above listed and you may finally divorce becos you will be so disappointed that u were so dumb not to have seen all those issues in courtship before marriage.
Besides,in courtship that may never end in marriage,you most certainly had slept(sex)with urselves that at break up time,the lady will be the worst hit ! I must tell u,courtship brought about the high rate of divorce in the world today and it's speedily eating deep into our own society.

Says who? Av u eva spoken 2 pastors around u & asked dem if dey neva went into courtship? Courtship is necessary, BELIEVER OR UNBELIEVER. It's just dat d way believers go about it is different 4rm d way unbelievers do it.
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by goofie: 1:16pm On Sep 13, 2012
Zeebah23:
Says who? Av u eva spoken 2 pastors around u & asked dem if dey neva went into courtship? Courtship is necessary, BELIEVER OR UNBELIEVER. It's just dat d way believers go about it is different 4rm d way unbelievers do it.

r u saying tht christians dont court? or tht christians shldnt court? i dont quite get ur point
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by Zeebah23(f): 1:22pm On Sep 13, 2012
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by goofie: 1:43pm On Sep 13, 2012
Zeebah23: I made a mistake ni,i was trying 2 quote sum1,d 1st part of d post isn't mine. M asking him/her d same question.
sorry i ws supposed to quote tht person. my mistake
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by mko2005: 3:09pm On Sep 13, 2012
Zeebah23:

I dnt need to ask any pastor cos they are humans just like me.Rather i should inquire of what the bible says concerning an issue.My pastor may have gone through courtship before marriage does not make courtship a criterion for marriage.
Believers or no believer,the rules are same in courtship: Go into it either anticipation to study,change,learn the person or with the aim of sleeping with the person.I repeat,courtship most CERTAINLY lead to sex before marriage.Any how you do it,you must fall victim,except it's not courtship.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by mko2005: 3:24pm On Sep 13, 2012
goofie:

r u saying tht christians dont court? or tht christians shldnt court? i dont quite get ur point
Courtship isn't for Christians !
Though they inadvertently go into it and live with the regrets there after for those who have the consciousness of God !
Leave it for un-believers !
If God directs me to a partner,what do i need the study for ?
Oh,may be i'm saying God might make a mistake so let me take my time to see if the partner is suitable for me before i say i do !
Then God i never asked for HIS direction in the first place or may be while asking,i was busy doing my own thing,may be sleeping with the would be future partner or consciously engaging in other sins that will make God stay very far away from me.
Ask for HIS direction !
When you meet that person,you will see it must be a true christian.
You will know it's the person when you start to feel this suiting calmness inside knowing fully well you are setling down with that person.
All other study,learning,loving, compatibility check,and growth in the word will be done in marriage with the challenges that comes with it.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by popcake1: 3:34pm On Sep 13, 2012
Y wud u date someone for dat long? 6-1yr is ok to know someone plsss, define d r/ship and dnt hide under d pretence dat u dnt know him/her, ur nt expectin him/her to be all u want...I sugest u mould him/her d way u want him to be..
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by goofie: 4:41pm On Sep 13, 2012
m.k.o2005:

Though they inadvertently go into it and live with the regrets there after for those who have the consciousness of God !
Oh,may be i'm saying God might make a mistake so let me take my time to see if the partner is suitable for me before i say i do !
Then God i never asked for HIS direction in the first place or may be while asking,i was busy doing my own thing,may be sleeping with the would be future partner or consciously engaging in other sins that will make God stay very far away from me.
Ask for HIS direction !
You will know it's the person when you start to feel this suiting calmness inside knowing fully well you are setling down with that person.
All other study,learning,loving, compatibility check,and growth in the word will be done in marriage with the challenges that comes with it.

so if God leads u to a lady,u just go n meet her n tell her "u r my wife". and then, the next day, u get married? because u r really sounding naive. God shows u ur wife but he will not come down and help u work it out

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by goofie: 4:51pm On Sep 13, 2012
@m.k.o 2005. u myt not like the word "courting" but whether u like it or not, u hv to get to know ur wife whether it is bfore or after the marriage.
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by Zeebah23(f): 4:56pm On Sep 13, 2012
m.k.o2005:

Ask for HIS direction !
i beg 2 disagree,christians COURT.
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by ayobase(m): 5:01pm On Sep 13, 2012
dubem3:
lol... my broda no talk wetin u see oh.
how' the capital city nah?

The place is cool and sexy...always!
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by Zeebah23(f): 5:03pm On Sep 13, 2012
m.k.o2005:

I dnt need to ask any pastor cos they are humans just like me.Rather i should inquire of what the bible says concerning an issue.My pastor may have gone through courtship before marriage does not make courtship a criterion for marriage.
Believers or no believer,the rules are same in courtship: Go into it either anticipation to study,change,learn the person or with the aim of sleeping with the person.I repeat,courtship most CERTAINLY lead to sex before marriage.Any how you do it,you must fall victim,except it's not courtship.
Don't take dis personal please,which church do u attend? I asked coz i know most churches teach courtship and how 2 go about it. Are u telling me dat once u know 'd will of God' u just go ahead and get married? Courtship in d christian sense is d period between d time u know who 'd will of God' is and d time u get married.
Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by ayobase(m): 5:09pm On Sep 13, 2012
m.k.o2005:

Na 3 months you wan take study person ?

My brother, I read ur post up there, and Im in support, but everything is not left in God's hands to handle...I have seen many ordained by God marriages failed.Why?....the couples wouldnt do the parts of theirs.
When u are giving pieces of advice....always consider the secular world also, and not only the .......
No, 3 months are even too much, unless if the involvees are not deceiving each other!

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? by WAM1(f): 5:25pm On Sep 13, 2012
I totally agree with mko and goofie your missing his point. If you pray for direction from God and your certain that you have found the one why court?-aka studying the person and all. I also grew up with courting doctrines - I heard that day in day out and to be sincere with you it has no biblical backings and most denominations try to limit it to a year now.
When you pray and God shows you the one- you guys can spend time in preparing for your future together- be it through counseling or financial planning and so on. But if you are courting the person 'God' has already shown you to be the one - to see if they change- of what use is that?-even if they change that is Gods choice for you. Or are you doubting God's choice.
The key point here is seeking divine direction from above. We are so limited and no amount of studying would be enough. We have to let go and let God.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Apology Letter To My Man / Meet The Hottest Black Nurse On Instagram: Her Large Breasts Can Cure Diseases. / 10 Simple Things Girls Do To Deceive Guys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.