Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,868 members, 7,817,563 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (340) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1832625 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 6:30pm On Feb 02, 2016
MissParagon:

yes we wrote exams and its English, 100 questions objectives. oral English inclusive. ur first degree result plays so much part too
Wow, really? But I guess it's strictly firstchoice?.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by preciousnobel(m): 6:48pm On Feb 02, 2016
MissParagon, pls kindly give me your whatsapp number. I would like to ask you some questions on how you managed to land this admission. Cheers!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 7:37pm On Feb 02, 2016
frankeinstein:

Good evening bro. With respect to the bolded,which time-efficient text/method do you use in studying gross?
Thanks
Sorry for barging in.
I recommend Chaurasia's anatomy
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrAmanda(f): 9:56pm On Feb 02, 2016
Millex:

Does Delsu write exam for DE? And I would like to know the style of the exams. Also the amount of students they admit via DE. Thank you

Yes, they do
Uhm I really don't know the exam style
I think ikevin should know better
You'll hear from him soon

Cc: ikevin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by labodinho: 1:50am On Feb 03, 2016
This might interest you guys....

Vivien T. Thomas, L.L.D-Grass to Grace

Thomas was born in New Iberia, Louisiana, the son of Mary (Eaton) and William Marco Thomas. The grandson of a slave, he attended Pearl High School in Nashville in the 1920s.Thomas had hoped to attend college and become a Medical Doctor, but the Great Depression derailed his plans.He worked at Vanderbilt University in the summer of 1929 doing carpentry but was laid off in the fall. In that same year, Thomas enrolled in the Tennessee Agricultural and Industrial College as a premedical student.In the wake of the stock market crash in October, Thomas put his educational plans... https://unilaglabodinho./2016/02/03/vivien-t-thomas-l-l-d-grass-to-grace/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by preciousnobel(m): 7:06am On Feb 03, 2016
dearpiriye:
Ui will ask for ur nysc discharge certificate during clearance but u can always defer the admission by claiming scarcity of funds or ill health.
That means I won't be able to serve as nysc doc since one can't serve 2ice?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by MissParagon(f): 11:57am On Feb 03, 2016
Millex:
Wow, really? But I guess it's strictly firstchoice?.
yes, strictly first choice
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 2:34pm On Feb 03, 2016
DrAmanda:

Yes, they do
Uhm I really don't know the exam style
I think ikevin should know better
You'll hear from him soon

Cc: ikevin
aite. Exam is based on English, mathematics, physics, chem, bio and some current affairs. Eng and maths makes about half of the questions. It depends on spaces available, let's just say from 7-10. Do not be alarmed, just try to read hard. Hoping to welcome you here at Delsu. #success.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dalyjay(m): 3:39pm On Feb 05, 2016
Guys, sumtin urgent happened.... The number requested from me during my jamb registration has lost and i went to a centre today, a man gave me a new welcome back sim after giving me the sim, he told me to insert it 4.0 clock the next day, but the server wrote 'sim registration error', so i called the man and he later told me dat mtn help centre send a message to him dat, the sim is old... And i lost the sim late november, what am i to do? And any alternative for me to get back my sim? How will i get my result after the exam? Will they send the result to d requested email? Pls guys
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by labodinho: 5:25pm On Feb 05, 2016
Unilag Pre-Med. crossing crisis for session 2014/2015

The long awaited list for the normal crossing of pre-medical student(100L) to pre-clinical(200L) was released this week on 1st of February,2016.Owing to the the normal criteria for crossing to 200L medical student which is 50-50-50 i.e. 50 in Physicals,50 in Chemicals and 50 in Biological courses and failure to the criteria will lead to repeating 100L and another failure in the repeated year will lead to change to another course in the Faculty of Science.But the list released turned the table all around which led to the crisis on ground.

There was a meeting held second semester the pre-med. student last session,2014/2015, with the Sub-Dean of Faculty of Science during the second semester which the main bone of contention of the meeting was that “adding the previous criteria which was the 50-50-50,the CGPA of the student will be a reference in determining their crossing over too” but then, the CGPA to be used was not given and cgpa to be used became a puzzle in everyone’s mind. https://unilaglabodinho./2016/02/05/unilag-pre-med-crossing-crisis-for-session-20142015/
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:01pm On Feb 05, 2016
Please I need an explanation on splanchnic nerves. cc: ikevin, ebsuguy, jargo89.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 7:36pm On Feb 05, 2016
Thewhizzkid1:
Please I need an explanation on splanchnic nerves.
cc: ikevin, ebsuguy, jargo89.
Simply put,they are autonomic nerves arising from the spinal cord that do not relay in the paravertebral ganglion.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 7:54pm On Feb 05, 2016
labodinho:

The long awaited list for the normal crossing of pre-medical student(100L) to pre-clinical(200L) was released this week on 1st of February,2016.Owing to the the normal criteria for crossing to 200L medical student which is 50-50-50 i.e. 50 in Physicals,50 in Chemicals and 50 in Biological courses and failure to the criteria will lead to repeating 100L and another failure in the repeated year will lead to change to another course in the Faculty of Science.But the list released turned the table all around which led to the crisis on ground.

There was a meeting held second semester the pre-med. student last session,2014/2015, with the Sub-Dean of Faculty of Science during the second semester which the main bone of contention of the meeting was that “adding the previous criteria which was the 50-50-50,the CGPA of the student will be a reference in determining their crossing over too” but then, the CGPA to be used was not given and cgpa to be used became a puzzle in everyone’s mind. https://unilaglabodinho./2016/02/05/unilag-pre-med-crossing-crisis-for-session-20142015/
hope u weren't affected.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 9:00pm On Feb 05, 2016
ebsuguy:

Simply put,they are autonomic nerves arising from the spinal cord that do not relay in the paravertebral ganglion.
Ok. Thanks a lot. I also have other questions.
Where do those autonomic nerves terminate at?
Do the sacral preganglionic nerve fibres of the sympathetic and parasympathetic divisions of the ANS have a common origin from the spinal cord?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by labodinho: 9:03pm On Feb 05, 2016
dearpiriye:
hope u weren't affected.

No,not at all.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Khan1993: 9:07pm On Feb 05, 2016
Am sorry to say this but have always doubt the intergrity of unilag. Nepotism at its peak [quote author=labodinho post=42649860]

There was a meeting held second semester the pre-med. student last session,2014/2015, with the Sub-Dean of Faculty of Science during the second semester which the main bone of contention of the meeting was that “adding the previous criteria which was the 50-50-50,the CGPA of t
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 9:16pm On Feb 05, 2016
labodinho:

No,not at all.
Good. Congrats then. As much as it is wrong it shows that one has to strive to be the best and not just beating so called cutoffs. All is well sha
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by labodinho: 9:54pm On Feb 05, 2016
Khan1993:
Am sorry to say this but have always doubt the intergrity of unilag. Nepotism at its peak
lol...you don't have to be sorry,VC knows about it but it's going to extinction now,it's rare.The issue here is slot which they ought to have fixed before admission but God knows best.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 10:01pm On Feb 05, 2016
ebsuguy:

alright. The term splanchnic refers to viscera (internal organs). Now splanchnic nerves refers to nerves concerned with viscera. In the nerves, there are autonomic fibers ( parasympathetic and sympathetic) and viscera afferent (sensory) fibers. All these help in passing stimulation to and fro the viscera. Regarding ur questn abt origins. From my knowledge so far, the term NERVE is not a single entity, it is like a passageway, it contains different fibers, so a nerve can contain sympathetic, parasympathetic and somatic fibers all about their differential functions. I am open to counter info, .
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by labodinho: 10:02pm On Feb 05, 2016
dearpiriye:

Good. Congrats then. As much as it is wrong it shows that one has to strive to be the best and not just beating so called cutoffs. All is well sha
Yes, but the school has its own cause to be blame too.Pre-Med.,Pre-clinical and Medical courses in whole is not a joking stuff but the students thought they've strive enough but not at all.Die minute criteria.I hope monday says something good.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 10:30pm On Feb 05, 2016
Thewhizzkid1:

Ok. Thanks a lot. I also have other questions.
Where do those autonomic nerves terminate at?
Do the sacral preganglionic nerve fibres of the sympathetic and parasympathetic divisions of the ANS have a common origin from the spinal cord?
ikevin is right as to their termination-the viscera i.e the organs. The sympathetic NS has a thoracolumbar spinalcord origin while the Parasympathetic NS originate from nuclei in the brain and Sacral region of the cord.Hence,they do not have a common origin. Rather what ikevin said about the nerve bundle is correct.Both the sympathetic fibers and the parasympathetic fibers run in the same nerve to supply the organs.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 10:31pm On Feb 05, 2016
labodinho:

Yes, but the school has its own cause to be blame too.Pre-Med.,Pre-clinical and Medical courses in whole is not a joking stuff but the students thought they've strive enough but not at all.Die minute criteria.I hope monday says something good.
Yh. That was really underhanded of them. I pray its rectified soonest.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by labodinho: 10:56pm On Feb 05, 2016
dearpiriye:

Yh. That was really underhanded of them. I pray its rectified soonest.
Yes,amen.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 10:56pm On Feb 05, 2016
ebsuguy:

ikevin is right as to their termination-the viscera i.e the organs. The sympathetic NS has a thoracolumbar spinalcord origin while the Parasympathetic NS originate from nuclei in the brain and Sacral region of the cord.Hence,they do not have a common origin. Rather what ikevin said about the nerve bundle is correct.Both the sympathetic fibers and the parasympathetic fibers run in the same nerve to supply the organs.
nice one brof. Your inputs on the page are on point man.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 11:52pm On Feb 05, 2016
I didn't get what u guys said about nerves being both sympathetic and parasympathetic at the same time. I thought an autonomic nerve can either be parasympathetic or sympathetic. For example, I thought a nerve like the vagus nerve (CN X) is strictly parasympathetic and the nerves of the thoracolumbar (T1 - L2) portion of d spinal cord are strictly sympathetic.
Secondly, I read that splanchnic nerves are the nerves that both carry afferent and efferent autonomic fibres to the viscera. Are these nerves part of the normal autonomic nerves or they are special nerves on their own?
cc: ikevin, ebsuguy.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 12:12am On Feb 06, 2016
Thewhizzkid1:
I didn't get what u guys said about nerves being both sympathetic and parasympathetic at the same time. I thought an autonomic nerve can either be parasympathetic or sympathetic. For example, I thought a nerve like the vagus nerve (CN X) is strictly parasympathetic and the nerves of the thoracolumbar (T1 - L2) portion of d spinal cord are strictly sympathetic.
Secondly, I read that splanchnic nerves are the nerves that both carry afferent and efferent autonomic fibres to the viscera. Are these nerves part of the normal autonomic nerves or they are special nerves on their own?
cc: ikevin, ebsuguy.
you are correct talking abt thoracolumbar outflow (sympathetic) and craniosacral outflow (parasympathetic). Yet, sympathetic can return into its source to enter skeletal nerves to supply sweat glands, cutaneous blood vessels. Am just trying to clarify the fact that nerves can carry more than one fiber. But regarding splanchnic nerves, they usually carry more than one fiber to an organ.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 1:33am On Feb 06, 2016
ikevin:
you are correct talking abt thoracolumbar outflow (sympathetic) and craniosacral outflow (parasympathetic). Yet, sympathetic can return into its source to enter skeletal nerves to supply sweat glands, cutaneous blood vessels. Am just trying to clarify the fact that nerves can carry more than one fiber. But regarding splanchnic nerves, they usually carry more than one fiber to an organ.
I agree perfectly with the bolded and thanks a lot for ur other inputs. I just want to get perfectly clear on this ANS thingy.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Khan1993: 6:17am On Feb 06, 2016
Dalyjay:
Guys, sumtin urgent happened.... The number requested from me during my jamb registration has lost and i went to a centre today, a man gave me a new welcome back sim after giving me the sim, he told me to insert it 4.0 clock the next day, but the server wrote 'sim registration error', so i called the man and he later told me dat mtn help centre send a message to him dat, the sim is old... And i lost the sim late november, what am i to do? And any alternative for me to get back my sim? How will i get my result after the exam? Will they send the result to d requested email? Pls guys
A sim lost in november is not old. So he meant i'll be deactivated if i left my sim in abeyance for 3 months. I don't think so. Go a COMFIRM mtn centre and do the welcome back again. But sim or no sim, your result will be online but last year jamb saw some changes like change in candidate centre(i was a victim) which was communicated to me via my phone.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 6:22pm On Feb 06, 2016
Doctors, medstudent and premeds I doff my cap especially for gentlemen/women doctors like ebsuguy, thewhizzkid1, labodinho, jason555, ikevin, dearpiriye and other bosses. I just posted an article on my blog and i'd really love you guys to help me look at it, read it, like it and share with your friends. Thanks guys here is the link, I 'd really love to see your feedback www.sesansblog./2016/02/05/why-not-try-again/
Enjoy

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Orezy5(m): 7:37pm On Feb 06, 2016
Millex:
Doctors, medstudent and premeds I doff my cap especially for gentlemen/women doctors like ebsuguy, thewhizzkid1, labodinho, jason555, ikevin, dearpiriye and other bosses. I just posted an article on my blog and i'd really love you guys to help me look at it, read it, like it and share with your friends. Thanks guys here is the link, I 'd really love to see your feedback www.sesansblog./2016/02/05/why-not-try-again/
Enjoy
Nice write-up bro
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by labodinho: 7:47pm On Feb 06, 2016
Millex:
Enjoy

Okay bro.

(1) (2) (3) ... (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: CentiLion(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.