Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,059 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? (8871 Views)

Why Didn't God Forgive Adam And Eve / Can God Forgive Satan Or Can Satan Ask For Forgiveness? / "Why Couldn't God Forgive Satan?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 11:19pm On Sep 19, 2012
F00028:

sigh...there you go again assuming too much. not everything is about you.

and about john 3, am not studying anything. if you haven't understood it find some else to teach it to you.

I think I am done with your acrobatics. you just dont have the answers and are not man enough to admit it.
Lol, just as I thought. You were never really seeking answers now were you?

....It is funny how you ask to know something yet when pointed towards the answer, you turn around and reject it without even considering it. Then you turn around and claim that I don't know what I am talking about and accuse me of "acrobatics" (all because you no wan read bible). Lol, you are a funny character.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by Nobody: 12:47am On Sep 20, 2012
frosbel:

Sorry , but how can a teaching be founded on a subject that is not mentioned , not even once.

In relation to the most important goal of the gospels which is our salvation, the Trinity is not mentioned, in Hebrews 6 where it talks about not laying again the foundation of the basics of our faith, it is not mentioned, ever.

Well, if it's the word that's the problem, have you considered that Unitarianism is not mentioned either?

frosbel: Why is the bible silent on this subject thereby requiring a multitude of teachers to search the scriptures earnestly for proof that it exists ?

Silent how, bro? As for searching the Scriptures, is that not normal to the believer?

frosbel: Surely if this was such an important topic which required a tremendous amount of teaching , at least somewhere this Concept would have been mentioned , no ?

If not in English at least in Greek !!

I get the feeling that it's the absence of the term, Trinity, that is the problem. Is it?

frosbel: You cannot presuppose a concept that is not specifically depicted in scripture.

Are you saying that unless a given doctrine is titled and presented as a specific, focused teaching in the Scriptures you will not countenance it?

frosbel: God is not in the business of confusion.

Matthew 5:37 Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No ...
But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more ... But let your word be Yea, yea; Nay, nay; but what is more than these is from evil.

Ok. What confusion do you think that the doctrine of the Trinity presents?

frosbel: It might be valid in the scientific world where fact can be sometimes relative, however in the bible world , with God especially, there are no assumptions, it is a resounding yes or an opposite no.

Where does science learn reasoning from? Science is no more than just another expression of human life. It is a body of knowledge obtained by use of our faculties and the operation of thought. Whether it is physics or Christ, it is knowledge/science. The difference in pursuing the knowledge of Christ is that we have new faith-enabled senses and faculties to perceive things about Him that we were unable to without faith.

Therefore reasoning methods remain while reasoning limits recede. The Christian must still assume, but now, he assumes true absolutes which his faith-enabled faculties and senses can discern.

frosbel: You said " they taught the Trinity even without devoting specific attention to it " , you are now treading on the ground of philosophical impossibilities.

You cannot teach on a subject without devoting much attention to it.

I have explained this a lot already. I don't know what entropy is. But I know what it does. I will never be taught by anyone that entropy is such and such and came about by such and such operations and is affected by such and such in such and such manners. Why? Because it is a scientific absolute. I am taught that such and such things happen normally, but that if this and that were done to alter the normal situation, such and such will result. When I ask why, I learn that there's a law of nature called entropy that makes it happen.

The same with the Trinity. It is simply the founding law of everything. It is the absolute of absolutes. You don't teach it as a subject. In what terms would you describe it? You describe other things in terms of it. The only way to show that the Trinity is untrue is if you can explain anything at all sufficiently without it.

frosbel: One would have thought that a very important subject like the Trinity will be explicitly stated in scripture.

Perhaps. But then, what good would it do? Plus if it could be, would it still be the founding principle of the Bible? Also, can a premise be fully and finally defined? In what terms would it be if the premise is a true first principle?
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by F00028: 4:50am On Sep 20, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Let me explain our situation a little to you. You have asked me two questions demanding yes-or-no answers neither of which options was adequate. So, I explained that while there is no crystallized, that is, standalone, focused teaching on the Trinity attributable to either Old Testament prophets or to Jesus Himself, all their teachings were founded upon it. I explained further that this is because teachings/arguments/discourses are always premised.

Assumptions must be made by the teacher. They form the premises for his delivery. The teachings of any given authority are only as valid and authoritative as their premises.

how can a teacher assume the students know something that he knows he or anyone else for matter hasn't taught them
that is the reason why i asked you if any of the older prophets before Jesus taught man the trinity, then Jesus himself. but now we are getting somewhere.

Ihedinobi:
...Then I claim that these people you asked about premised their teachings upon the Trinity. In saying so, I have answered all three questions you have now asked. I have declared that they taught the Trinity even without devoting specific attention to it. I have also declared that I got my knowledge of the Trinity from their own teachings
give me an example, please.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by F00028: 5:09am On Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, just as I thought. You were never really seeking answers now were you?

....It is funny how you ask to know something yet when pointed towards the answer, you turn around and reject it without even considering it. Then you turn around and claim that I don't know what I am talking about and accuse me of "acrobatics" (all because you no wan read bible). Lol, you are a funny character.

bros, i don read am tire.

..and i was looking for answers. but you have to realise this isn't class, you aren't my teacher. therefore you can't direct me to go read up a whole chapter just because you don't know the answer to my question. ( is "escapism" even a word )

rather you should say: "gee, f00028 i don't know but the answer may be in John 3. let's read it together" (or words to that effect)
or just pass the buck to Ihedinobi
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by F00028: 5:19am On Sep 20, 2012
frosbel:

Why is the bible silent on this subject thereby requiring a multitude of teachers to search the scriptures earnestly for proof that it exists ?

Surely if this was such an important topic...

here's something Jesus was not silent about: "the Lord our GOD is ONE Lord" mr.12:29
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 5:50am On Sep 20, 2012
F00028:

bros, i don read am tire.

..and i was looking for answers. but you have to realise this isn't class, you aren't my teacher. therefore you can't direct me to go read up a whole chapter just because you don't know the answer to my question. ( is "escapism" even a word )

rather you should say: "gee, f00028 i don't know but the answer may be in John 3. let's read it together" (or words to that effect)
or just pass the buck to Ihedinobi
lol, you are such a funny chap.

First you asked me whether Jesus Christ had the same view about God's justice and mercy, I basically said "yes, see John 3". Then you immediately start whinging that I don't know what I am talking about and I am not your teacher bla bla bla,
Funny thing is if I had not given you a bible chapter to look at, you'll equally start whinging that I am just making things up and it doesn't have bible backing bla bla bla.

So my friend, It is because I am not your teacher that I didn't read the verse to you myself. Please read it and tell me if it contradicts what I have been saying or if it agrees with it and then we can discuss. Your whinging is really not necessary.

You cannot rightfully claim that I don't know something unless you know what it is I am supposed to know.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 5:53am On Sep 20, 2012
F00028:

here's something Jesus was not silent about: "the Lord our GOD is ONE Lord" mr.12:29
Lol, this is why I asked you what you know Trinity to be.

What part of Trinity says that God is not One?

Could you please tell us what you know Trinity to be.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by F00028: 6:31am On Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:
lol, you are such a funny chap.

First you asked me whether Jesus Christ had the same view about God's justice and mercy, I basically said "yes, see John 3". Then you immediately start whinging that I don't know what I am talking about and I am not your teacher bla bla bla,
Funny thing is if I had not given you a bible chapter to look at, you'll equally start whinging that I am just making things up and it doesn't have bible backing bla bla bla.

So my friend, It is because I am not your teacher that I didn't read the verse to you myself. Please read it and tell me if it contradicts what I have been saying or if it agrees with it and then we can discuss. Your whinging is really not necessary.

You cannot rightfully claim that I don't know something unless you know what it is I am supposed to know.

hey, whatever makes you happy. you can keep telling yourself that if you think it makes your weak verbal acrobatics seem like a superior argument.

i'll stop now before this exchange turns into a pointless put-down match. we'll meet again hopefully on a topic you can properly elucidate and back up.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by F00028: 6:58am On Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:

What part of Trinity says that God is not One?

the part that says He is a committee of three

Mr_Anony:

Could you please tell us what you know Trinity to be.
asked and answered
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 7:29am On Sep 20, 2012
F00028:

hey, whatever makes you happy. you can keep telling yourself that if you think it makes your weak verbal acrobatics seem like a superior argument.

i'll stop now before this exchange turns into a pointless put-down match. we'll meet again hopefully on a topic you can properly elucidate and back up.
lol
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 7:32am On Sep 20, 2012
F00028:

the part that says He is a committee of three
lol, and what part of Trinity says that God is a committee of three?

asked and answered
You really don't understand Trinity. Anyway before we continue, let me ask: Are you willing to accept the authority of the bible on the issue?
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by F00028: 9:59am On Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:
lol

Mr. Anony, despite everything you're O.K cool
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by Nobody: 10:10am On Sep 20, 2012
We still have people here trying to hold on to to this unexplainable doctrine, God help us grin

Poor fishermen like Peter will never talk volumes of theology to describe a simple aspect of the gospel.

Just shows how far removed the church is from the true Gospel, now resting on the reasoning and whims of MEN.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by F00028: 10:18am On Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:
lol, and what part of Trinity says that God is a committee of three?

this part:
Ihedinobi:
"That's what the Trinity explains:
THREE People, one God, EACH OF THEM fully
God and ALL OF THEM together God."

Mr_Anony:
You really don't understand Trinity. Anyway before we continue, let me ask: Are you willing to accept the authority of the bible on the issue?

yes please.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by Nobody: 10:51am On Sep 20, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Well, if it's the word that's the problem, have you considered that Unitarianism is not mentioned either?

Unitarianism was a word coined to object to Trinitarianism.

I would not normally use these terminologies, the bible says there is ONE GOD and Jesus re-echoed this time and time again during his ministry. This is sufficient for me.

Silent how, bro? As for searching the Scriptures, is that not normal to the believer?

Why not , it is highly recommended.

I get the feeling that it's the absence of the term, Trinity, that is the problem. Is it?

That and the fact that the evidence does not add up.

Are you saying that unless a given doctrine is titled and presented as a specific, focused teaching in the Scriptures you will not countenance it?

Indeed I am and why not ?

All the important doctrines are mentioned such as salvation, justification, grace, love, redemption, sanctification, resurrection and judgement, why is the Trinity absent ?

Ok. What confusion do you think that the doctrine of the Trinity presents?

The doctrine of the Trinity represents 3 individuals , each which his own mind, will and intellect , capable of acting independently of each other and yet co-equal in substance and purpose, hence the mysterious figure of ONE.

Does not make sense from whichever angle you look at it.

I have visited a tremendous amount of Jewish sites , both Judaic and Messianic , and they find this concept of 3 gods in on GOD blasphemous to say the least.

Where does science learn reasoning from? Science is no more than just another expression of human life. It is a body of knowledge obtained by use of our faculties and the operation of thought. Whether it is physics or Christ, it is knowledge/science. The difference in pursuing the knowledge of Christ is that we have new faith-enabled senses and faculties to perceive things about Him that we were unable to without faith.

Science is based on theories , hypothesis and proof, our belief in God on the other hand is based on Faith in God stated facts.

Besides , the purpose of reading the bible is to know more about God's will for our lives and becoming more like him in will and purpose on a day to day basis.

Therefore reasoning methods remain while reasoning limits recede. The Christian must still assume, but now, he assumes true absolutes which his faith-enabled faculties and senses can discern

My boss once told me that assumptions were the 'mother of all mistakes', I agree with him.

In the kingdom of God, there are certain facts which are fundamental to our belief system and one of such is the nature of God.

Millions of Jews and Muslims have been kept out of the body of Christ because Men hold on to this mysterious mystery rather than simply telling them to repent , be baptised and be saved.

I have explained this a lot already. I don't know what entropy is. But I know what it does. I will never be taught by anyone that entropy is such and such and came about by such and such operations and is affected by such and such in such and such manners. Why? Because it is a scientific absolute. I am taught that such and such things happen normally, but that if this and that were done to alter the normal situation, such and such will result. When I ask why, I learn that there's a law of nature called entropy that makes it happen.

Sorry to say, but this is just human reasoning again.

We know God by faith , faith alone based on reasonable facts.

The same with the Trinity. It is simply the founding law of everything. It is the absolute of absolutes. You don't teach it as a subject. In what terms would you describe it? You describe other things in terms of it. The only way to show that the Trinity is untrue is if you can explain anything at all sufficiently without it.

If it is an absolute, how come Paul , Peter, James , Jude, Phillip etc never once preached it , if they did , please show me where.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 11:09am On Sep 20, 2012
F00028:

this part:
Ihedinobi:
"That's what the Trinity explains:
THREE People, one God, EACH OF THEM fully
God and ALL OF THEM together God."
It is funny how any time i ask what you think, you quote Ihedinobi as if Ihedinobi echoes your thoughts....but then again nothing Ihedinobi said there paints God as a commitee.
A good place to start when contemplating Trinity is by looking at man as a trinity of body, soul and spirit - both the same and yet distinct entities (this is not a perfect analogy but just used to give you an idea)

yes please.
Not that I normally do this but let me run a verse by you.
Consider this:

For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 1John 5:7

What do you think of it?
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by Nobody: 11:19am On Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:

For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 1John 5:7

What do you think of it?

First of Bro. Anony stop using that KJV bible with it's heavy catholic bias , grin

The cambridge edition of the KJV also differs from the KJV bible.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

Besides many other more relaible versions are silent on verse 7 where the KJV is vocal.

Then we move to verse 8 where they are all aligned including the KJV and it goes like this :

New International Version (©1984)
the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.

New Living Translation (©2007)
the Spirit, the water, and the blood--and all three agree.

English Standard Version (©2001)
the Spirit and the water and the blood; and these three agree.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

International Standard Version (©2008)
the Spirit, the water, and the blood-and these three are one.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
And there are three testifying: The Spirit and the water and the blood, and the three of them are in one.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 20, 2012
Trinity, in Christian doctrine, the unity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as three persons in one Godhead.

Neither the word Trinity nor the explicit doctrine appears in the New Testament, nor did Jesus and his followers intend to contradict the Shema in the Hebrew Scriptures: “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord” (Deuteronomy 6:4).

The earliest Christians, however, had to cope with the implications of the coming of Jesus Christ and of the presumed presence and power of God among them—i.e., the Holy Spirit, whose coming was connected with the celebration of the Pentecost. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were associated in such New Testament passages as the Great Commission: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” (Matthew 28:19); and in the apostolic benediction: “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all” (2 Corinthians 13:14). Thus, the New Testament established the basis for the doctrine of the Trinity.

The doctrine developed gradually over several centuries and through many controversies. Initially, both the requirements of monotheism inherited from the Hebrew Scriptures and the implications of the need to interpret the biblical teaching to Greco-Roman religions seemed to demand that the divine in Christ as the Word, or Logos, be interpreted as subordinate to the Supreme Being. An alternative solution was to interpret Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as three modes of the self-disclosure of the one God but not as distinct within the being of God itself. The first tendency recognized the distinctness among the three, but at the cost of their equality and hence of their unity (subordinationism); the second came to terms with their unity, but at the cost of their distinctness as “persons” (modalism). It was not until the 4th century that the distinctness of the three and their unity were brought together in a single orthodox doctrine of one essence and three persons.

The Council of Nicaea in 325 stated the crucial formula for that doctrine in its confession that the Son is “of the same substance [homoousios] as the Father,” even though it said very little about the Holy Spirit. Over the next half century, Athanasius defended and refined the Nicene formula, and, by the end of the 4th century, under the leadership of Basil of Caesarea, Gregory of Nyssa, and Gregory of Nazianzus (the Cappadocian Fathers), the doctrine of the Trinity took substantially the form it has maintained ever since. It is accepted in all of the historic confessions of Christianity, even though the impact of the Enlightenment decreased its importance.

Encyclopaedia Britannica
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 11:22am On Sep 20, 2012
frosbel: We still have people here trying to hold on to to this unexplainable doctrine, God help us grin

Poor fishermen like Peter will never talk volumes of theology to describe a simple aspect of the gospel.

Just shows how far removed the church is from the true Gospel, now resting on the reasoning and whims of MEN.
You are missing the point frosbel, Ihedinobi and I hold that the Trinity is not of a necessity preached in explicit terms in the bible rather the Trinity is an assumed as foundational knowledge i.e. taken for granted.

Peter and other fishermen disciples may not have spoken "volumes of theology" but one thing they did was to worship Jesus Christ while He was alive on earth. Notice I said they worshipped Him.

If they didn't at least think that Jesus was equal with God, they would not have worshipped Him. What is equally interesting is that Jesus accepted worship while He was a man. This is something no man or angel would dare to do and still be in God's favour.

To deny the deity of Jesus pushes you straight into polytheism as you have to now hold that there are at least two separate and different beings that are worthy of worship. Mind you, the bible is very clear that God is the only one who deserves our worship.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by Nobody: 11:38am On Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:
You are missing the point frosbel, Ihedinobi and I hold that the Trinity is not of a necessity preached in explicit terms in the bible rather the Trinity is an assumed as foundational knowledge i.e. taken for granted.

Again we cannot base our teachings on assumptions.

Peter and other fishermen disciples may not have spoken "volumes of theology" but one thing they did was to worship Jesus Christ while He was alive on earth. Notice I said they worshipped Him.

Indeed , but this was because Yahweh gave Jesus the unlimited power of a god as his representative on earth , especially as his SON , the only Son which he beget which came out from him and was part of Him.

I have never, will never question the present deity of Christ , but I will also not say he is Yahweh, the one and only true Almighty GOD.

Let us examine this small piece of scripture below :

"And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, "Let all God's angels worship him." - Hebrews 1:6

God gave him the power and authority.

If they didn't at least think that Jesus was equal with God, they would not have worshipped Him. What is equally interesting is that Jesus accepted worship while He was a man. This is something no man or angel would dare to do and still be in God's favour.

And deservedly so, this was in his position as the representative of God , God's own Son and God's presence among Men.

To deny the deity of Jesus pushes you straight into polytheism as you have to now hold that there are at least two beings that are worthy of worship. Mind you, the bible is very clear that God is the only one who deserves our worship.

No one had, he is divine but he is is not Yahweh, Yahweh is ONE.

This is the bone of contention.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 1:00pm On Sep 20, 2012
frosbel:

Again we cannot base our teachings on assumptions.
There is a difference between an assumption and a given.
An example of something that is a given is God's omnipresence

Indeed , but this was because Yahweh gave Jesus the unlimited power of a god as his representative on earth , especially as his SON , the only Son which he beget which came out from him and was part of Him.

I have never, will never question the present deity of Christ , but I will also not say he is Yahweh, the one and only true Almighty GOD.

Let us examine this small piece of scripture below :

"And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, "Let all God's angels worship him." - Hebrews 1:6

God gave him the power and authority.

And deservedly so, this was in his position as the representative of God , God's own Son and God's presence among Men.

No one had, he is divine but he is is not Yahweh, Yahweh is ONE.

This is the bone of contention.
If that is the problem that you have, then we don't really have anything to argue about. I also hold that The Father is One, the Son is One, the Holy Spirit is One. The three are One with God and are God. Not parts of God or types of God but that God's very nature is Trinity. . . .in a sense like man's nature being a trinity of body soul and spirit.

You talked about God giving Christ unlimited power, I hope you do realize that this makes Christ omnipotent. What does that leave the Father if the Son has all the power? It is impossible for two beings to hold ultimate power equally without being one in essence.

If the Son has always existed with the Father from the beginning, does that not make the Son also timeless and eternal?
If the Son and Holy Spirit are also uncreated, but have existed eternally, does that mean that there are three gods?

I am sure if we really think about it, we could go on to list many attributes that will be exactly the same between the Father and the Son.

The problem I think you are having here is the problem of anthropomorphism. Where you are attributing some sort of Human form to God (it is not bad as it helps us understand God but it is inadequate when contemplating Him.)

You know God is an infinite being this means He cannot have a finite form or shape but when you think of Him as 1+1+1, you have unconsciously made Him a finite being therefore, you immediately miss what the Trinity is about.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by ijawkid(m): 1:04pm On Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:
It is funny how any time i ask what you think, you quote Ihedinobi as if Ihedinobi echoes your thoughts....but then again nothing Ihedinobi said there paints God as a commitee.
A good place to start when contemplating Trinity is by looking at man as a trinity of body, soul and spirit - both the same and yet distinct entities (this is not a perfect analogy but just used to give you an idea)

Consider this:

What do you think of it?

Anony for d fact u still quote this spurios verse from the kjv over and over again after been corrected shows u really love to hold on to this trinity dogma.....

We've discussed this very verse in one of the trinity posts that was erected by ihedinobi.......

Stop quoting that verse....can't u??
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by ijawkid(m): 1:17pm On Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:

To deny the deity of Jesus pushes you straight into polytheism as you have to now hold that there are at least two separate and different beings that are worthy of worship. Mind you, the bible is very clear that God is the only one who deserves our worship.

Can u in explicit terms mention hw d disciples worshipped Jesus??please.....

Remember what worship of Yahweh entails....

Remember hw d jews worshiped Yahweh....

They made sacrifices @ d temple,thru d high priest,who was d mediator.....

Now if I may ask again::::

Tell me in what sense did d disciples of Jesus worship him d same way they did Yahweh....

Because if I culd remember both Jesus and his disciples worshipped Yahweh together @ d temple.....

When it says d disciples worshipped Jesus what did it mean??....

The kjv again with its rendering will wrongly use that word ""worship""...

None of the Jews for once worshipped Jesus thinking it was Yahweh or that Jesus was equal to Yahweh.........

Jesus many times told them that the Father was greater than Him.....

So why shuld any Jew think Jesus was equal to the Father??$$$

Except that Jew was a trinitarian which was impossible......
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:

If that is the problem that you have, then we don't really have anything to argue about. I also hold that The Father is One, the Son is One, the Holy Spirit is One. The three are One with God and are God. Not parts of God or types of God but that God's very nature is Trinity. . . .in a sense like man's nature being a trinity of body soul and spirit.

You talked about God giving Christ unlimited power, I hope you do realize that this makes Christ omnipotent. What does that leave the Father if the Son has all the power? It is impossible for two beings to hold ultimate power equally without being one in essence.

If the Son has always existed with the Father from the beginning, does that not make the Son also timeless and eternal?
If the Son and Holy Spirit are also uncreated, but have existed eternally, does that mean that there are three gods?

I am sure if we really think about it, we could go on to list many attributes that will be exactly the same between the Father and the Son.

The problem I think you are having here is the problem of anthropomorphism. Where you are attributing some sort of Human form to God (it is not bad as it helps us understand God but it is inadequate when contemplating Him.)

You know God is an infinite being this means He cannot have a finite form or shape but when you think of Him as 1+1+1, you have unconsciously made Him a finite being therefore, you immediately miss what the Trinity is about.

I am very grateful now that I have hitherto been unable to address anything here. I could not have put it this well, bro. God bless you.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by ijawkid(m): 1:31pm On Sep 20, 2012
Let me add this::::::::::....

Why wuld the Jews who heard Jesus re-echo the 2 commandments on which our whole obligation rests on worship Jesus, thinking he was equal to the Father??

Jesus said....recited ::::deuteronomy 6:4-6

4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God(Yahweh), the
LORD is one.[a] 5 Love the LORD your God(Yahweh)
with all your heart and with all your soul and
with all your strength. 6 These commandments
that I give you today are to be on your hearts.

Why wuld Jews hear Jesus say this and then still think Jesus is d Father or equal to the Father??

Except they were on alcohol.....
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:

I am very grateful now that I have hitherto been unable to address anything here. I could not have put it this well, bro. God bless you.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 20, 2012
frosbel:

Unitarianism was a word coined to object to Trinitarianism.

I would not normally use these terminologies, the bible says there is ONE GOD and Jesus re-echoed this time and time again during his ministry. This is sufficient for me.

"Trinity" was also actually a word coined to capture the Biblical teaching that objected to heresies about the Nature of God ranging from the breakup of the fellowship of the Godhead to the existence of a pantheon of Gods.

It's like naming a known phenomenon that makes everything that leaves the earth's surface fly back to it "gravity". The creation of a name to identify the phenomenon and make it intelligible is not the same as the the creation of the phenomenon itself.

Why not , it is highly recommended.

Then the existence of a need to search the Scriptures to ascertain the truth of any given thing does not necessarily render that thing false or even questionable at all.

That and the fact that the evidence does not add up.

I confess that I do not see how the evidence does not add up. How does it not?

Indeed I am and why not ?

All the important doctrines are mentioned such as salvation, justification, grace, love, redemption, sanctification, resurrection and judgement, why is the Trinity absent ?

The term is absent because it is only the description of an accepted foundation or "phenomenon", if you prefer. Everytime Jesus spoke of God as His Father, He claimed Godhood by doing so. Everytime the apostles placed the Lord Jesus Christ and the Father side by side in their writings, they acknowledged that He is God as much as the Father is. The whole of the letter to the Hebrews spoke of the super-excellence of the Lord Jesus Christ and His parity with the Father.

The Gospel of John made no bones at all of Jesus's equality with the Father, nor did his epistles, particularly the first. Jesus Himself said that the Scriptures (which at that time consisted only of the OT) spoke of Him.

The desire to see the term itself in the Scriptures is actually an excuse to reject the doctrine. The biggest proof I can offer that the doctrine is true is to tell you that once you deny it, you will begin to deny parts of the Bible as well and end up rejecting the Bible itself.

When I say that the Trinity is the foundation of the whole Bible, I am saying that it holds all the separate doctrines together as one. Its essence permeates them all and impregnates them with meaning. They lose significance once itself is thrown out.

The doctrine of the Trinity represents 3 individuals , each which his own mind, will and intellect , capable of acting independently of each other and yet co-equal in substance and purpose, hence the mysterious figure of ONE.

Does not make sense from whichever angle you look at it.

It is not right to say that a thing does not make sense if it only doesn't make sense to you. Some more "human" () reasoning may help to exemplify that.

I could never comprehend certain physics equations meant to tell me that an electron is both a wave and a particle and is, in fact, neither. It does not make that fact untrue. It only makes it unintelligible to me.

I have visited a tremendous amount of Jewish sites , both Judaic and Messianic , and they find this concept of 3 gods in on GOD blasphemous to say the least.

It is not the Jews that I worship nor did I derive my Faith from them. About them, Jesus said, "you are of your father, the devil". Important to me is that they come to know Him Whom I have believed and love.

Science is based on theories , hypothesis and proof, our belief in God on the other hand is based on Faith in God stated facts.

How do you learn or know these "God-stated facts"?

Besides , the purpose of reading the bible is to know more about God's will for our lives and becoming more like him in will and purpose on a day to day basis.

I actually think reading the Bible is only for getting to know God Himself. We learn His Will by knowing Him.

My boss once told me that assumptions were the 'mother of all mistakes', I agree with him.

In the kingdom of God, there are certain facts which are fundamental to our belief system and one of such is the nature of God.

Do you prefer the term, "fundamental facts", then? It's all the same to me.

Millions of Jews and Muslims have been kept out of the body of Christ because Men hold on to this mysterious mystery rather than simply telling them to repent , be baptised and be saved.

If this is so, it is probably a good thing then. Salvation is by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. It is impossible to be saved when one rejects the Lord Jesus Christ Himself. Lying faith and hypocrisy is claiming membership of the House of God while refusing the One by Whom it is possible.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by F00028: 2:21pm On Sep 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:
....but then again nothing Ihedinobi said there paints God as a commitee.

what part of THREE did you not understand?
among other things they are distinct entities.

Mr_Anony:

you are right, bad example. those entities individually cannot be called 'man'.

Mr_Anony:

Consider this:

What do you think of it?

I have come across it before. first, remember you stated that when it comes to christian belief, Jesus is law. these are not the words of Jesus.

ordinarily that shouldn't be a problem except they contradict his clear teachings on the subject. clear unambiguous statements like there is only One True God, who has no equals for He is Greater than all, etc

and no how I'm gon' take the words of any man OVER those of Jesus the Christ...you shouldn't either.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Sep 20, 2012
Sorry to say, but this is just human reasoning again.

It is true that I have the Spirit of God in me, but I am human. I will never be an angel or a beast or a vegetable. My reasoning therefore will always necessarily be human even though it is now enabled by the Spirit of God Who has made His Home in my person.

But I think you actually mean "fallen human" reasoning. If you do, I pray you tell me how it is.

We know God by faith , faith alone based on reasonable facts.

The bolded wants explaining. What is faith that is based on reasonable facts? In fact, what do you define as "Faith"?

If it is an absolute, how come Paul , Peter, James , Jude, Phillip etc never once preached it , if they did , please show me where.

It is not nice to keep asking the same question no matter how many times it is answered. It is better to say, "this answer is imperfect or insufficient or does not make sense because........."

If the doctrine of the Trinity is an absolute, then it cannot be taught standalone. Rather it is implied in other teachings that hinge upon it. To define a thing means to describe it in terms of more "absolute" or fundamental terms. That means that beyond a certain point, definition becomes nonsensical.

As an example, define "Love", can you? Or, an "easier" one, define "is".

Absolutes are those things that define everything else. Preaching is a means of declaring things. In preaching Jesus Christ, the apostles preached the Trinity. Why should Jesus matter if He were not God? Why should we care about Him if He were not man as well? In short, what is the big deal about Jesus Christ? What makes Him so special that a bunch of fishermen attached to Him weren't intimidated by the most powerful people of a nation?
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 20, 2012
F00028:

what part of THREE did you not understand?
among other things they are distinct entities.

So?

you are right, bad example. those entities individually cannot be called 'man'.

There is a sense in which you are wrong. Examples like "you look an awful lot like....(somebody)"; "his way of thinking sometimes has me thinking he's really......(somebody)"; "there's something about those two. If they didn't look so different, you'd think that they're the same guy. Dude A cries at the movies, hates snakes, thinks sunsets are pink. If you went camping with Dude B, you'd think every vine was a snake, if you went to the movies with Dude B, you'd need new handkerchiefs the next day, if you hung out at a beach with Dude B, you'd think the sun was created by a girl" come to mind. They tell you that in a sense, a person's spirit is them, their soul is them, their body is them.

I have come across it before. first, remember you stated that when it comes to christian belief, Jesus is law. these are not the words of Jesus.

ordinarily that shouldn't be a problem except they contradict his clear teachings on the subject. clear unambiguous statements like there is only One True God, who has no equals for He is Greater than all, etc

How does "these three are one" contradict "the Lord our God is one God"?

and no how I'm gon' take the words of any man OVER those of Jesus the Christ...you shouldn't either.

Good for you. We don't either.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by F00028: 5:13pm On Sep 20, 2012
Ihedinobi:

So?
so if they are three distinct entities they cant be one at the same time. such a fantastic qualification the One that is God has no clear basis in any of the pronouncments of Jesus who you say is the final word.

but the one way your precious trinity would work is you abolish the biblical God as an entity and reestablish Him as a function. I bet you the trinity would work then.
Re: Did God Forgive Those That Crucified Jesus? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 20, 2012
F00028:
so if they are three distinct entities they cant be one at the same time. such a fantastic qualification the One that is God has no clear basis in any of the pronouncments of Jesus who you say is the final word.

but the one way your precious trinity would work is you abolish the biblical God as an entity and reestablish Him as a function. I bet you the trinity would work then.

To reach the same conclusion as my brothers , you have to perform a magical art called 'mental gymnastics ' . It is hoped that after this exercise you might comprehend the Trinity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? / Shiloh 2006: 'Destined To Win' / What Has God Done For You In 2017; That Deserves His Praise?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.