Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,443 members, 7,823,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Another Look At The Trinity - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Another Look At The Trinity (7277 Views)

Anony & Deep Sight: Verse By Verse Academy On The Trinity & The Deity Of Christ / About The Trinity / Biblical Quotes Proving That Jesus Is Not God And The Absence Of The Trinity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Another Look At The Trinity by ijawkid(m): 2:53pm On Nov 14, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

When the Bible says "God" in most cases it refers to God the Father. The Son of God had to become the Son of man so as to make man become the sons of God. This was the arrangement God made to redeem us back to Him. The Father is not inferior to the Son neither is the Son or the Holy Spirit inferior to the Father but they perform different roles in our creation and redemption.

The son is"" inferior"" to the Father for crying out loud...
Let us see the definition of inferior maybe it'll. Help you....

in·fe·ri·or
[in-feer-ee-er]

-adj.
1. lower in station, rank, degree, or grade (often fol. by to): a rank inferior to colonel.
2. lower in place or position; closer to the bottom or base: descending into the inferior regions of the earth.
3. of comparatively low grade; poor in quality; substandard: an inferior product.
4. less important, valuable, or worthy: B+ bonds are inferior to AAA bonds.
5. acting or performing in a way that is comparatively poor or mediocre: an inferior observer of human nature.
6. Bot.
a. situated below some other organ.
b. (of a calyx) inserted below the ovary.
c. (of an ovary) having a superior calyx.
7. Anat.
a. lower in place or position; situated beneath another.
b. toward the feet.
8. lying below the horizon: the inferior part of a meridian.
9. written or printed low on a line of text, as the "2" in H2O; subscript.

-n.
10. a person inferior to another or others, as in rank or merit.
11. a letter, number, or symbol written or printed low on a line of text.

The Father is all powerful , all knowing and all good...why Jesus isn't ........infact all what Jesus has was giving to him by the Father...

OLAADEGBU:

Each member of the Trinity are equal in being, but subordinate in role and this is what is called the ontological equality but economic subordination which is seen in human relationships such as in marriage and working relationships. My boss at work and myself are equal in our being but if my boss tells me to do a job for him and I obey him, that doesn't mean that I am inferior to him but because he has authority over me because he is my boss and we perform different roles to get the job done. The same goes with the relationship between the husband and the wife as my picture depicted earlier. Therefore, Jesus, the Son and God the Father are both equal in their being but different in their roles.
You are inferior to your boss....I don't know how you've chosen to escape from this glaring truth.....
Your boss's salary is higher than yours,he has more power than you do,he is more experienced in the Job than you do,he employed you(you didn't employ yourself) and maybe also older than you in age etc.....

Yahweh is superior to the Christ.....that is why he is also called the God and Father of Jesus Christ...I don't know if that expression rings a bell in your head...for you to dodge this truth makes me worry.....
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:48pm On Nov 14, 2012
frosbel:

So GOD exalted himself

I don't expect you to understand how He did it because if Satan did he wouldn't have crucified our Lord Jesus Christ.

frosbel:
Hmm, how does this correlate with the former statement.

In the former, God exalts the MAN Jesus, in the later, God issues a decree.

English is so simple.

Since you say that you can see therefore you remain in your blindness.

frosbel:
Hmm, but he is not on the throne of GOD , he is at the right hand of GOD, how does this make him GOD.

There is only ONE GOD who sits on his throne with his Son the Lord Jesus at his right hand side.

"And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb . . . And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him (Rev. 22:1,3)

And let me remind you of the curses in this book that you are fond of twisting:

"For I testify to every man that hears the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add to these things, God shall add to him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book (Rev. 22:18-19)

frosbel:
Especially when this GOD is qualified with Almighty , it always refers to Yahweh.

The SON is indeed inferior to the father and the Spirit is actually God's spirit not a seperate person.

Please try not to confine God to heaven.

Jesus also shares the name Yahweh. Jesus implicitly ascribed this divine name to himself when He said:

"I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM (John 8:58)

Here, our Lord Jesus Christ deliberately contrasted the created origin of Abraham with His own eternal, uncreated nature as God.

frosbel:
What a nonsense statement.

Equal but subordinate, lol. What does this mean .

Ontological equality but economic subordination is evidenced when your boss and yourself can be said to be equal in your being but she isn't better than you, but you are subordinate to her. When she tells you to do something you obey her not because you are inferior, but because she has authority over you.

This can be used to explain the working relationship in the holy trinity where each member are equal in being, but subordinate in role.

frosbel:
Theological gibberish.

A Man is a person and his WIFE is a person, they are only one in function and purpose not in essense. In other words, they are 2 Persons, not 1 Person = 2.

The Father is a Person, the Son is a Person and the Holy Spirit is a Person but they function in different roles. They are all have the divine nature of God are are therefore One, just as the husband and wife are suppossed to be one.

frosbel:
I go die oooo .....

You are already dead and you don't know it. But you know that God can fire you and still allow you to keep working for Him.

frosbel:
You are inferior to your boss in position , trust me.

Therefore you are his/her subordinate.

Biblically, our Lord Jesus Christ is equal with the Father in His divine nature as attested in John 10:30 but positionally speaking, He is inferior or lower than the Father from the standpoint of Jesus becoming a servant by taking on humanity (Philippian 2:6-11).

Positionally therefore, the Father is "superior" than the Son.

frosbel:
The other way round, they are equal in role and purpose but different in being.

Hope this helps.

You are entitled to your own objection but for those who still have an open mind and wants to learn the biblical truth I say that the nature of God is different from the nature of man. Deity is different from humanity. A man and a woman share the same human nature and The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit shares the same nature of God. A man is human just as a woman is human. Jesus is God just as the Father and the Holy Spirit is God. There role in creation and redemption is different.
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by Boomark(m): 7:50am On Nov 15, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Tell me what you mean by the term "God" and let us start from there.

The Trinity is defined as one God who exists in three eternal,
simultaneous, and distinct
persons known as the Father, the
Son, and the Holy Spirit.

This is your definition of trinity. I know the persons of the Father, Son and Holyspirit. So what or who is the bolded?
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by honeychild(f): 8:32am On Nov 15, 2012
@olaadegbu
Let me see if I got your illustrations correctlyh: in the case of yourself and your boss, you are not inferior to him because you are both human beings, right? Please tell me if we are on the same page.
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by Boomark(m): 8:33am On Nov 15, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

What is your understanding of the title Son of God and Son of man to start with?

Son of God=begotten by God
Son of man=in the likeness of men.

Before He ascended to heaven do you believe that He first descended to earth?

Yes

Boomark:

So before He became the son of
God and son of Man, what was
He called and His position then?

Boomark:
And when He ascended to
heaven did He go back to that
position?

So answer my question so we don't digress
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:25am On Nov 15, 2012
Boomark:

This is your definition of trinity. I know the persons of the Father, Son and Holyspirit. So what or who is the bolded?

I have given you my definition of the Godhead, I am asking you to clarify what you mean by the word God or do you agree with my definition?
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:27am On Nov 15, 2012
honeychild: @olaadegbu

Let me see if I got your illustrations correctlyh: in the case of yourself and your boss, you are not inferior to him because you are both human beings, right? Please tell me if we are on the same page.

That's right. God created all humans equal there is no one superior than the other. The fact that one has one kind of authority over others doesn't mean that they are superior human beings as those with inferiority complex have been made to believe.
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by honeychild(f): 9:38am On Nov 15, 2012
Now in the case of Jesus and His father they are equal because they are both spirit beings? Am I understanding you correctly?

1 Like

Re: Another Look At The Trinity by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:19am On Nov 15, 2012
Boomark:

Son of God=begotten by God
Son of man=in the likeness of men.

What exactly does it mean to be the only begotten of God? Can you explain what you mean as "in the likeness of men"?

Boomark:
Yes

If yes, then what do you think He was before descending from Heaven? My position on this is well established if you have been following this thread.

Boomark:
So answer my question so we don't digress

He was and is still God. The incarnation of God is what Son of man is.
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:25am On Nov 15, 2012
honeychild:

Now in the case of Jesus and His father they are equal because they are both spirit beings? Am I understanding you correctly?

They are equal not because they are both spirit beings but because they are One God. Would you say one side of an equilateral triangle is not equal to the other two? All of the sides or corners make up one triangle, no?
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:27am On Nov 15, 2012
Only if folks had been following the thread from the beginning many of these objections wouldn't be rearing its head repeatedly. Here is a repeat of an article that was posted earlier on this thread.

OLAADEGBU:

Three-in-Oneness in the Godhead:

Scriptures indicate there is three-in-oneness in the godhead.

In Matthew 28:19, the bodily resurrected Jesus instructed the disciples,

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19).

The word name is singular in Greek, thereby indicating God's oneness. However,the definite articles in front of Father, Son and Holy Spirit (in the original Greek) indicate they are distinct personalities, even though there is just one God. These distinct personalities relate to each other. The Father and the Son, for example, know each other (Matthew 11:27), love each other (John 3:35), speak to each other (John 11:41-42). The Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus at His baptism (Luke 3:22), He is called another comforter or helper (John 14:16), He was sent by the Father and Jesus (John 15:26), and He seeks to glorify Jesus (John 16:13-14).

A Simple Analogy

A helpful analogy of the Godhead is that God is like a triangle that is one figure yet has three different sides (or corners) at the same time. So there is a simultaneous threeness and oneness. Of course, no analogy is perfect since in every analogy there is a similarity and a difference. The difference here is that "sides" or "corners" are not persons. Nonetheless, the triangle does illustrate how there can be threeness and oneness at the same time. While there is one God, there are three persons within the One God. QED wink.
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by ijawkid(m): 10:34am On Nov 15, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Ezekiel was called the ""son of man"" more than 10 times.....

Was he the invincible GOD incarnate too??...

It seems you don't know the meaning of the expression ""son of man""
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:41am On Nov 15, 2012
ijawkid:

Ezekiel was called the ""son of man"" more than 10 times.....

Was he the invincible GOD incarnate too??...

It seems you don't know the meaning of the expression ""son of man""

Here is an article for your perusal that I posted on another thread. If it does not suffice then I believe that is only God that can help you to comprehend it.

Son of God/Son of Man

"And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head." (Matthew 8:20)

It is significant that although Christ clearly taught that He was the unique Son of God, He most frequently referred to Himself as Son of man, earnestly desiring that people understand His true and representative humanity.

The very first use of the phrase is in Psalm 8:4: "What is . . . the son of man, that thou visitest him?" Although David may have been thinking of all "sons of Adam" in general, the writer of Hebrews applied the passage specifically to Christ (Hebrews 2:6), "that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man" (Hebrews 2:9). In order to save lost men, God in Christ had to become man through supernatural incarnation. Then, as perfect, sinless man, He could represent us before God, finally tasting death for every man.

The vital importance of the incarnation is affirmed by John: "Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God" (1 John 4:2-3). It is noteworthy that Satan and his evil spirits would recognise Christ as the Son of God (Matthew 4:3; 8:28-29), but never as the Son of man! This reluctance seems also to characterise all the occultic philosophies of the so-called "New Age" movement, as well as all ancient and modern pantheistic religions. They speak glibly of "the Christ" as a spirit which might come on many, but bitterly refuse to acknowledge that the man Jesus was actually the Son of man, God incarnate.

Finally, it is thrilling to realise that, although He only became the Son of man through His incarnation, He will always remain the Son of man! John saw Him in His glory--as we shall see Him in eternity--as "one like unto the Son of man" (Revelation 1:13; 14:14). HMM
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by ijawkid(m): 10:47am On Nov 15, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Here is an article for your perusal that I posted on another thread. If it does not suffice then I believe that is only God that can help you to comprehend it.

When did I ever tell you that Jesus didn't come in flesh....you are the person who has spuriously said that Jesus is the invincible GOD in flesh.....

Meanwhile your post never gave the definition of who a son of man is....

Who or what is a ""son of man"".....??....

Ezekiel was reffered to as a son of man....can you please explain how he was one??

Was he GOD incarnate too??...

Learn to let the bible explain things......

1 Like

Re: Another Look At The Trinity by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:55pm On Nov 15, 2012
This is how Derek Prince, one of the best Bible teachers of our time sees the trinity through the pages of the Scripture:

"In every major phase of the redemption, each Person of the Godhead is directly involved. Their involvement in each successive phase may be set out as follows:

Incarnation. The Father incarnated the Son in the womb of Mary by the Holy Spirit. (Lk.1:35).

Baptism in the Jordan River. The Spirit descended on the Son, and the Father spoke His approval from heaven (Matt.3:14-17).

Public ministry. The Father anointed the Son with the Spirit (Acts 10:38).

The crucifixion. Jesus offered Himself to the Father through the Spirit (Heb.9:14).

The resurrection. The Father resurrected the Son by the Spirit (Acts 2:32; Rom.1:4).

Pentecost. From the Father the Son received the Spirit, whom He then poured out on His disciples (Acts 2:33).

Each Person of the Godhead -- and I mean this reverently -- was jealous to be included in the process of redeeming humanity
."
-- Derek Prince, Atonement
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by Boomark(m): 6:22pm On Nov 15, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

I have given you my definition of the Godhead, I am asking you to clarify what you mean by the word God or do you agree with my definition?

You gave me a definition which i didn't understand. As your new convert i asked you if the word "God" refers to a person or title(name) or a thing according to your definition. Because you used "Who" after 'God.' Your definition no gel.
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by Boomark(m): 6:53pm On Nov 15, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

You have dodged this question too much.

1 In whose nature and image was Jesus before he was begotten? The Father's or His own?
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:06pm On Nov 15, 2012
Boomark:

You gave me a definition which i didn't understand. As your new convert i asked you if the word "God" refers to a person or title(name) or a thing according to your definition. Because you used "Who" after 'God.' Your definition no gel.

What you need is the Holy Spirit to convince, convict and then convert you and make you a partaker of the divine nature of God. It is only then that you will see what the Bible says.

Keep in mind when studying this subject that the word "Trinity" is not used in Scripture. This is a term that is used to attempt to describe the triune God, the fact that there are 3 coexistent, co-eternal persons that make up God. Understand that this is NOT in any way suggesting 3 Gods. The Trinity is 1 God made up of 3 persons.
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:09pm On Nov 15, 2012
Boomark:

You have dodged this question too much.

1 In whose nature and image was Jesus before he was begotten? The Father's or His own?

The answers are all over the thread, it is you that don't seem to see them. Let me give you what C.S. Lewis said about the only begotten Son of the Father:

"To beget is to become the father of: to create is to make. And the difference is this. When you beget, you beget something of the same kind as yourself. A man begets human babies, a beaver begets little beavers, But when you make, you make something of a different kind from yourself. A bird makes a nest, a beaver builds a dam . . . Now that is the first thing to get clear. What God begets is God; just as what man begets is man. What God creates is not God, just as what man makes is not man. That is why men are not Sons of God in the sense that Christ is. They may be like God in certain ways, but they are not things of the same kind."
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:10pm On Nov 15, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

What you need is the Holy Spirit to convince, convict and then convert you and make you a partaker of the divine nature of God. It is only then that you will see what the Bible says.

Re: Another Look At The Trinity by Boomark(m): 8:49pm On Nov 15, 2012
Boomark:
You gave me a definition which
i didn't understand. As your
new convert i asked you if the
word "God" refers to a person
or title(name) or a thing
according to your definition.
Because you used "Who" after
'God.' Your definition no gel.

What you need is the Holy Spirit
to convince, convict and then
convert you and make you a
partaker of the divine nature of
God. It is only then that you will
see what the Bible says.

Please help me understand it by the spirit that is leading you. The question i asked is based on your definition. Unles it is difficult to answer and you want to redefine it, no problem.
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by Boomark(m): 9:11pm On Nov 15, 2012
Keep in mind when studying
this subject that the word
"Trinity" is not used in
Scripture. This is a term that is
used to attempt to describe the
triune God, the fact that there
are 3 coexistent, co-eternal
persons that make up God.
Understand that this is NOT in
any way suggesting 3 Gods. The
Trinity is 1 God made up of 3
persons.

1 Corinthians 8:6
New International Version (NIV)

6 yet for us there is but one God,
the Father,
from whom all things
came and for whom we live; and
there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ,
through whom all things came and through whom we live.

But Why is 1 God here referring to the Father(1 person) while one lord refers to Jesus Christ? It is clear that Jesus is not part if the 1 God mentioned here. Why?
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by honeychild(f): 9:20pm On Nov 15, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

The answers are all over the thread, it is you that don't seem to see them. Let me give you what C.S. Lewis said about the only begotten Son of the Father: "[/b]to beget is to become the father of : to create is to make.[b]

Okay, so Jesus was begotten, not created. Fine. That is perfectly acceptable and biblical. But the next logical point to reach is that [/b]his life began from God. God brought him into existence [b] by begetting him. Nobody brought God into existence.

1 Like

Re: Another Look At The Trinity by Boomark(m): 10:16pm On Nov 15, 2012
Boomark:
You have dodged this question
too much.

1 In whose nature and image
was Jesus before
he was
begotten? The Father's or His
own?

The answers are all over the
thread, it is you that don't seem
to see them. Let me give you
what C.S. Lewis said about the
only begotten Son of the Father:

"To beget is to become the
father of: to create is to make.
And the difference is this. When
you beget, you beget
something of the same kind as
yourself. A man begets human
babies, a beaver begets little
beavers, But when you make,
you make something of a
different kind from yourself. A
bird makes a nest, a beaver
builds a dam . . . Now that is the
first thing to get clear. What
God begets is God; just as what
man begets is man. What God
creates is not God, just as what
man makes is not man. That is
why men are not Sons of God in
the sense that Christ is. They
may be like God in certain
ways, but they are not things of
the same kind ."

what you did here is to explain begotten Son. The main question is the bolded above.
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:35pm On Nov 15, 2012
Boomark:

Please help me understand it by the spirit that is leading you. The question i asked is based on your definition. Unles it is difficult to answer and you want to redefine it, no problem.

You need to go to the Holy Spirit Himself for He shall guide you into the truth.

The Hebrew for "God" is the uni-plural Elohim, a plural noun (as noted by the “im” ending), yet normally represented by a singular pronoun "He." This is the first foreshadowing of the marvelous doctrine of the Trinity—only one Creator God, yet functioning as three divine Persons.
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:39pm On Nov 15, 2012
Boomark:

what you did here is to explain begotten Son. The main question is the bolded above.

Read it up in John 1:1
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:47pm On Nov 15, 2012
honeychild:

Okay, so Jesus was begotten, not created. Fine. That is perfectly acceptable and biblical. But the next logical point to reach is that [/b]his life began from God. God brought him into existence [b] by begetting him. Nobody brought God into existence.

Get the first thing first; What God begets is God; just as what man begets is man, do you agree with this?
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by Enigma(m): 4:02am On Nov 16, 2012
Jesus was in very nature God before he became a man through incarnation. Simples. smiley

Philippians 2
5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature God

did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

7 but made himself nothing,

taking the very nature of a servant,

being made in human likeness

8 And being found in appearance as a man,

he humbled himself

and became obedient to death—

even death on a cross!

cool
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by Enigma(m): 4:15am On Nov 16, 2012
Oh, and of course the above is attested by John 1:1. smiley

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Oh, another by the way: to know when Jesus was begotten (before he became a man through incarnation) is to know when God the Father Himself came into existence or began to exist. wink

cool
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by Boomark(m): 8:44am On Nov 16, 2012
Keep in mind when studying
this subject that the word
"Trinity" is not used in
Scripture. This is a term that is
used to attempt to describe the
triune God, the fact that there
are 3 coexistent, co-eternal
persons that make up God.
Understand that this is NOT in
any way suggesting 3 Gods. The
Trinity is 1 God made up of 3
persons.

Boomark:
1 Corinthians 8:6
New International Version (NIV)

6 yet for us there is but one God,
the Father,
from whom all things
came and for whom we live; and
there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ,
through whom all things came
and through whom we live.
But Why is 1 God here referring
to the Father(1 person) while one
lord refers to Jesus Christ? It is
clear that Jesus is not part if the 1
God mentioned here. Why?

You missed this one.
Re: Another Look At The Trinity by Boomark(m): 9:15am On Nov 16, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

You need to go to the Holy Spirit Himself for He shall guide you into the truth.

Didn't you understand what the spirit taught you so as to teach others? Is it that what you received contradicts what is written that you can't answer me from what is written, except i go and receive my own too?

But when the Holyspirit was revealing all truth to the apostles, He didn't reveal what your trinity defined so that it does not contradict they other truth He gave to the apostles which is written. I wonder why cos this is a very important issue.

1 Like

Re: Another Look At The Trinity by Nobody: 10:09am On Nov 16, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Get the first thing first; What God begets is God; just as what man begets is man, do you agree with this?

God begets GOD

You are losing it rapidly and moving into deeper errors !!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Quran Fraud Contradictions Or Great Truths? / When An Atheist Dies And Is About To Enter Hell / The Prophets Of Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.