Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,649 members, 7,813,189 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British (14945 Views)

Banned By The Ayatollah Again! From Today, No More Christian Bashing! / Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers / The British Spy In SCOAN; What Did He Find? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 20, 2012
The UK has a christian history but it is now very much a secular state. The British were the ones that brought christianity to Nigeria and yet Nigerians are now even more christian than the British.

I want to ask honest people on Nairaland a simple question;

[size=18pt]If someone came to your house to convince you that you should buy Mazda cars and you agree to buy a Mazda car in the near future but on going to the person's house, you find that the person is mostly driving Mercedes Benz, would you continue to trust his statement on Mazdas?[/size]

The above bold question highlights a cognitive dissonance of many Nigerians. They carry their Christianity to Britain without realizing or asking why the British have mostly dropped the Christianity that they gave Nigeria. They dont even bother to ask why church attendance is so low in Britain and why over a third of the British are atheists/agnostics.

Here are some foolish rationalizations made by the average Nigerian christian;

-The British are less moral than us Christian Nigerians (Really? with your witch beating, tithe frauds, high level of corruption and embezzlement?)

-God is using us to bring religion to UK (Really? then why did God not bring christianity to Nigeria before the British and in more peaceful ways than slavery/colonization of Nigeria by the british?)

-Africans are more spiritual and sensible than the British/Europeans (Really? when you import many things from the British? When theBritish have a more stable and organised society? Has you spirituality helped Nigeria to achieve such?)

would like christians to comment on this topic, especially Mr Anony that lives in the UK. We both went to a debate about abortion in London, only to find that Anony was in the serious minority when talking about abortion from a christian religious/moral perspective

10 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by SamMilla1(m): 7:56am On Oct 20, 2012
Logicboy, there is something you need to consider here. More than 90 percent of Christians in Nigeria cannot locate Britain on a map. They cannot even locate anywhere in Europe if not labelled.
80 percent of them cannot tell the differences between Britain and Germany or Russia.

Lets come back to Nigeria, A proverb says that 'he who does not know where the rain started beating him, will not know where it stopped '. Telling them where christianity came is confusing them. Most of them still think that Israel is somewhere in the sky.

Most of the Nigerian educated Men know the truth about Religion and they really dont want to go to our Churches here. But one thing or the other will drag them there.
I was chating with a young girl two days ago about marriage. She summerized her own dream marriage by emphasizing on a wonderful Church Wedding and when i asked her 'what if i am not interested in Church wedding' , she was almost like 'could that be possible'.

Now church has crept deeply into our culture and hung its claws there.
The society around you sees you as a witch, devil etc if you dont go to church. It is almost like the medieval Europe. Our time to say goodbye to church will come but we first need Education. Education creates mental independence which allows one to think for himself. And when we are able to think for ourselves, then we will all know what church is all about.

31 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 20, 2012
With Naija christian nature, what has it been able to contribute to the world?

1 Like

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 20, 2012
Sam Milla: Logicboy, there is something you need to consider here. More than 90 percent of Christians in Nigeria cannot locate Britain on a map. They cannot even locate anywhere in Europe if not labelled.
80 percent of them cannot tell the differences between Britain and Germany or Russia.

Lets come back to Nigeria, A proverb says that 'he who does not know where the rain started beating him, will not know where it stopped '. Telling them where christianity came is confusing them. Most of them still think that Israel is somewhere in the sky.

Most of the Nigerian educated Men know the truth about Religion and they really dont want to go to our Churches here. But one thing or the other will drag them there.
I was chating with a young girl two days ago about marriage. She summerized her own dream marriage by emphasizing on a wonderful Church Wedding and when i asked her 'what if i am not interested in Church wedding' , she was almost like 'could that be possible'.

Now church has crept deeply into our culture and hung its claws there.
The society around you sees you as a witch, devil etc if you dont go to church. It is almost like the medieval Europe. Our time to say goodbye to church will come but we first need Education. Education creates mental independence which allows one to think for himself. And when we are able to think for ourselves, then we will all know what church is all about.

Thank you for your commment

However, there are educated people here that have been to Europe but still cling on to this religious way of thinking.

I hope they read this and realise.
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 20, 2012
tpacalipse: With Naija christian nature, what has it been able to contribute to the world?

Good question
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 20, 2012
tpacalipse: With Naija christian nature, what has it been able to contribute to the world?

Nigerian christian nature has not contributed anything positive to the world!

We have Nigerian immigrants that think that they can flog their children in the UK. The law there is different but they think the bible supersedes the law- spoil the rod and spoil the child.
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by OmoAlata(f): 2:14pm On Oct 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

We have Nigerian immigrants that think that they can flog their children in the UK. The law there is different but they think the bible supersedes the law- spoil the rod and spoil the child.

I was visiting a friend in hospital (St George's), children's ward, when the police and social services came to visit one of the mums on the ward. She had broken her son's arm in a fit of rage which led to the boy being hospitalised. She was crying and saying over and over again, "He made me angry. I didn't mean to". She was white!!!

1 Like

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 2:18pm On Oct 20, 2012
Omo Alata:

I was visiting a friend in hospital (St George's), children's ward, when the police and social services came to visit one of the mums on the ward. She had broken her son's arm in a fit of rage which led to the boy being hospitalised. She was crying and saying over and over again, "He made me angry. I didn't mean to". She was white!!!

I did not say that white people dont break the law. The woman knew that she did wrong? What about the unrepentant Nigerian immigrants that keep flouting the law? I saw child beating at a church live!
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by OmoAlata(f): 2:21pm On Oct 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

I saw child beating at a church live!

And I've seen a chav hit her kid in the supermarket sad
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 2:48pm On Oct 20, 2012
Omo Alata:

And I've seen a chav hit her kid in the supermarket sad

Please reason why I bolded that word

1 Like

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by seyibrown(f): 4:50pm On Oct 20, 2012
@ OP

Jesus is the Author and finisher of the christian faith, not the British! The Bible tells us to look to Jesus; not to the British! Faithful christians are not responsible for the fate of Nigeria today; unfaithful christians contribute to it. Most British Christian are only Christian in name, like many Nigerian Christians, and many Xtians world over.

24 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 20, 2012
seyibrown: @ OP

Jesus is the Author and finisher of the christian faith, not the British! The Bible tells us to look to Jesus; not to the British! Faithful christians are not responsible for the fate of Nigeria today; unfaithful christians contribute to it. Most British Christian are only Christian in name, like many Nigerian Christians, and many Xtians world over.

Jesus never visted West Africa did he?

Why did he need the British to bring christianity to Nigeria?

Fake azz author

2 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by ektbear: 5:13pm On Oct 20, 2012
Of what relevance are the British regarding Christianity?

Next, if hypothetically the British stopped playing soccer, perhaps you'll claim that Nigerians should also show less interest in the sport too.

17 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by otokx(m): 5:16pm On Oct 20, 2012
@Sam Milla

You just made my day.

4 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 5:17pm On Oct 20, 2012
ekt_bear: Of what relevance are the British regarding Christianity?

Next, if hypothetically the British stopped playing soccer, perhaps you'll claim that Nigerians should also show less interest in the sport too.

Foolish argument.

The argument is that Nigerians never stop to think why the British dropped their christianity that they gave us. They stopped it because they realised that a society can not be run on religious morality but by secular laws based on logic and not faith.

If the British stopped playing football, a rational person would ask why. If the reason is not logical, then we dont follow the British in stopping to play football!

Now, does the average Nigerian christian ask why the British dropped their religion?

2 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 20, 2012
otokx: @Sam Milla

You just made my day.

Yep, a great comment by sam Milla
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by kacheezy: 5:20pm On Oct 20, 2012
The church is always evolving and when the white man says...ok now we want to consecrate gay bishops...who are Africans to question this decision? Is Christianity an African religion? We can't be more catholic than the Pope....Africans have no right to question the changes in the church...it was just a product sold to us via slavery and colonization...why do we hold on to it in such a tenacious way?

3 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Skywalker5(m): 5:21pm On Oct 20, 2012
@logicboy

i thought about this when i came into UK. The way Christianity is in Nigeria is really so different. like you pointed out witch beating, tithe frauds.

I have been to naija churches in UK and churches that British people go to. So different, nobody tells you you have one family that is pursuing you or witch or you have to pay tithe in order to reap rewards.They preach more on God's love.They never dwell on finance like our Naija churches

1 Like

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 20, 2012
kacheezy: The church is always evolving and when the white man says...ok now we want to consecrate gay bishops...who are Africans to question this decision? Is Christianity an African religion? We can't be more catholic than the Pope....Africans have no right to question the changes in the church...it was just a product sold to us via slavery and colonization...why do we hold on to it in such a tenacious way?

Thank you jo!

Great comment!
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by eledalo: 5:23pm On Oct 20, 2012
Dont disturb yourself bros, reasoning topics like this will only get you a headache. When the touch not my anointed gang get here, you go know say the origin doesnt matter. Fact is, religion gives people hope, especially in hopeless situations such as Nigeria. I no get energy for dis kin endless argument. Off to romance section.
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 20, 2012
Ko si Onamiran to toka si orun eyin araiye eya ra wagba Jesu
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by ektbear: 5:25pm On Oct 20, 2012
Logicboy03:
Foolish argument.

The argument is that Nigerians never stop to think why the British dropped their christianity that they gave us. They stopped it because they realised that a society can not be run on religious morality but by secular laws based on logic and not faith.
Isn't it m0r0nic to assume that what is true for British society and culture is also true for Nigerian society and culture?

If the British stopped playing football, a rational person would ask why. If the reason is not logical, then we dont follow the British in stopping to play football!
A rational person might ask, yes. But, the more relevant factor is, "Do I still enjoy playing football? Does it make me happy?"

If so, wetin concern you with what the British decide?

Now, does the average Nigerian christian ask why the British dropped their religion?

What if the "why" the British dropped their Christianity is not relevant or of any interest to Nigerians?

In particular, why should they be obsessed with the "why" of Britain? Why is Britain so important in the grand scheme of things? Why not look to the example of America for example, where Christianity is still quite important?

At any rate, even if all other countries on earth dropped Christianity, it doesn't follow that Nigerians should do the same.

13 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 20, 2012
Sky-walker:
@logicboy

i thought about this when i came into UK. The way Christianity is in Nigeria is really so different. like you pointed out witch beating, tithe frauds.

I have been to naija churches in UK and churches that British people go to. So different, nobody tells you you have one family that is pursuing you or witch or you have to pay tithe in order to reap rewards.They preach more on God's love.They never dwell on finance like our Naija churches

Tell me about it.

They love tithe and money in Naija churches

"it shall be tithe for non-tithers" grin grin grin
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by mkmyers45(m): 5:26pm On Oct 20, 2012
Even religion cannot survive evolution..its hitting Nigeria as we speak...
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 20, 2012
Food for thought. I'll be back to give a more detailed perspective.
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 20, 2012
shol: Ko si Onamiran to toka si orun eyin araiye eya ra wagba Jesu

gerrout, yoruba thug!
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by ektbear: 5:28pm On Oct 20, 2012
kacheezy: The church is always evolving and when the white man says...ok now we want to consecrate gay bishops...who are Africans to question this decision? Is Christianity an African religion? We can't be more catholic than the Pope....Africans have no right to question the changes in the church...it was just a product sold to us via slavery and colonization...why do we hold on to it in such a tenacious way?

Christianity is more an African religion than it is a European religion.

The church is older in Africa than it is in Europe.

4 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Orikinla(m): 5:29pm On Oct 20, 2012
[size=28pt]Christianity is not British and it was not the British who introduced Christianity to Nigeria.
Jesus Christ was a Jew and not British.[/size]

7 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by kacheezy: 5:30pm On Oct 20, 2012
Sometimes I laugh when my 'born again' Christian friend told me that Europe has lost it's way...that Africans will take the gospel back to them...I wondered how the white man sees Nigerian preachers...I can't imagine an English clergy man coming to tell me how to worship Amadioha...it'll be so comical.

2 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by ektbear: 5:33pm On Oct 20, 2012
A lot of people seem to hate Christianity simply because it was brought to them by the white man, and they hate/resent the white man.

Just because you hate colonialism or hate/love white people (British in particular) doesn't mean you have to hate Christianity.

Christianity doesn't belong to the white man...the Coptic Church is older than any European church.

Christianity was established in Eastern Africa long before it was established in Europe.

Granted, it took a bit of a circuitous route to enter West Africa.

Nevertheless, it is a perfectly fine religion for an African man to have.

8 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by kacheezy: 5:33pm On Oct 20, 2012
Orikinla: [size=28pt]Christianity is not British and it was not the British who introduced Christianity to Nigeria.
Jesus Christ was a Jew and not British.[/size]
Was it the Israelis that introduced Christianity to Nigeria? Read your history...the Jews are not Christians.

2 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 20, 2012
ekt_bear:
Isn't it m0r0nic to assume that what is true for British society and culture is also true for Nigerian society and culture?

Straw man argument. I never said that. Secularism is a pluralistic idea. Secularism for Britian and Nigeria will still bring about different laws.

Just look at Sweden and Japan. Both secular but different societies and laws.

ekt_bear:
A rational person might ask, yes. But, the more relevant factor is, "Do I still enjoy playing football? Does it make me happy?"

If so, wetin concern you with what the British decide?

Very relevant question but incomplete.

"Do I still enjoy playing football after realising why the british stopped playing football"

Which is the same as my original question, just a step further.

ekt_bear:
What if the "why" the British dropped their Christianity is not relevant or of any interest to Nigerians?

In particular, why should they be obsessed with the "why" of Britain? Why is Britain so important in the grand scheme of things? Why not look to the example of America for example, where Christianity is still quite important?

At any rate, even if all other countries on earth dropped Christianity, it doesn't follow that Nigerians should do the same.

America understands separation of church and state. They are quite secular when it comes to their laws. Have you seen the statistics of church attendance in the USA? Hmm?

The most peaceful and Advanced countries in the world (Where America is not the top or leader) have dropped the importance of christianity ion daily life and government.

Think and set yourself free

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Spiritual Significance Of Semen / Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! / 7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.