Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British (14989 Views)

Banned By The Ayatollah Again! From Today, No More Christian Bashing! / Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers / The British Spy In SCOAN; What Did He Find? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Horus(m): 7:51pm On Oct 20, 2012
Logicboy03: The UK has a christian history but it is now very much a secular state. The British were the ones that brought christianity to Nigeria and yet Nigerians are now even more christian than the British.

I want to ask honest people on Nairaland a simple question;

[size=18pt]If someone came to your house to convince you that you should buy Mazda cars and you agree to buy a Mazda car in the near future but on going to the person's house, you find that the person is mostly driving Mercedes Benz, would you continue to trust his statement on Mazdas?[/size]

The above bold question highlights a cognitive dissonance of many Nigerians. They carry their Christianity to Britain without realizing or asking why the British have mostly dropped the Christianity that they gave Nigeria. They dont even bother to ask why church attendance is so low in Britain and why over a third of the British are atheists/agnostics.

Here are some foolish rationalizations made by the average Nigerian christian;

-The British are less moral than us Christian Nigerians (Really? with your witch beating, tithe frauds, high level of corruption and embezzlement?)

-God is using us to bring religion to UK (Really? then why did God not bring christianity to Nigeria before the British and in more peaceful ways than slavery/colonization of Nigeria by the british?)

-Africans are more spiritual and sensible than the British/Europeans (Really? when you import many things from the British? When theBritish have a more stable and organised society? Has you spirituality helped Nigeria to achieve such?)

would like christians to comment on this topic, especially Mr Anony that lives in the UK. We both went to a debate about abortion in London, only to find that Anony was in the serious minority when talking about abortion from a christian religious/moral perspective

When Indian people come to England or any European country, they build and open Temples or shrines. When Chinese people come to England or any European country they build and open Temples or shrines; But when African people come to England or any European they build Churches and worship the images of their former slave masters. The Indians and Chinese have unity amongst themselves , they also have a good economy , China is going to be the next super power ,forget America. These countries India and China have also gone nuclear , they worship their own images (their ancestors) who work for them. The Europeans have religion, however, it does not stop them from working together. They have european union (which is the european community = common unity). But black africans are still fighting and arguing over a religion that does not belong to them. Many Nigerians for example will not work with you if you have a different religion. It was many years ago that Bob Marley sang emancipate ourselves from mental slavery , yet our people are still mentally enslaved. We are the only species on earth that will side another species against their own. You will not see a Chinese person side with a Hindu against another Chinese, neither will you see an Hindu side with a Chinese against another Hindu. You will not see a Cat side with a dog against another cat, neither will you see a dog side with a cat against another dog. You will not see a rat side with a cat against another rat, neither will you see a cat side with a rat against another cat. We black are the only species on the planet that will side with another species, be it Asian, Caucasian or Arab against their own. When will we realize we have been tricked with these monothetic religions of Judaism, Islam and Christianity?

2 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 7:51pm On Oct 20, 2012
PastelChic: LMAO< This really is rich! name dropping " Antioch" ha ha ha...if my style of writing..no wait, if what I am saying is beyond Your comprehension, all you need is ask for a simple explanation and no, i don't have to impress a bunch of faceless people on how intelligent I am...I only stated the obvious and thank you for making me aware that you are indeed another fool in the bandwagon...welcome to the show

Nice, keep it going Madam Intelligentsia .... "I'm smarter than you", "I'm better than you", "I'm more intelligent than you"....

Oh, wait, isnt that what your religion is all about anyway; claiming to be better than others in ways of life and worship of the Supreme being while your hypocritical lifestyles show otherwise? Ah, yes, the religion of the Bentley Pushing Pastor and the poor famished folk that walk long distances to feed his insatiable taste and greed for the finer things in life. And why wont you donate, after all, your God loves the finer things and asks you to fund private jets for your Pastors even if they neglect to say the truth from the pulpit i.e Denounce and condemn the corrupt political class.... Oh, sheesh, silly me, why would I think that the same person that prays for your success would be stop*id enough to condemn you?

And for a so called Christian you do curse and insult others a lot. Is that what your religion taught you? Is that what it says in the Bible; call others "fools" because they didnt agree with you? Ive been known to get real vicious with words on occasion too. Dont believe me? Go through my old posts. But I wont get ugly today, I doubt, so I'll just proceed to ask you a quick question while hoping that you have the intelligence to answer logically instead of telling me what you think a man in the sky (whom youve never spoken to) told you.

1. If a Christian steals, deceives, and commits adultery yet goes to church unfailingly every sunday, pays his tithes, and is also loudest when it comes to singing the hymns is he going to get into "heaven" faster than an atheist that doesnt steal, deceive or commit adultery?

And just so if youre wondering why I included "Politics" in my second paragraph, its because I think an overwhelming, and very vocal, hypocritical majority in your religion is one of the biggest problems facing Nigeria today....along with their Muslim counterparts.... but thats a story for another day.

Anyway, pls answer the question I asked. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by tpia5: 7:57pm On Oct 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

Tpia, remain small before you kill me ooo!

Wetin I do you?

Anayway, the point of the thread is to question.

Why did the British who gave us Christianity drop it?

you're the one killing yourself.

the portuguese sent missionaries to nigeria before the british, duh.

you're so fixated on the english- is there a problem?

1 Like

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by tevinsolt: 7:58pm On Oct 20, 2012
Paul was a very educated man, he understood the different the world view at the time

the Hebrews ideal was light - The LORD is my light and my salvation, this is the light that lights every man that comes into the world

the Greeks it was knowledge- the knowledge of the academy that it could impart, episteme, ginosko....they had pursuit of knowledge

the Romans it was glory- the glory of the Roman empire, the glory of the city that wasn't built in a day, glory of the city to which all roads led

here was a man, an Hebrew by birth, studied in Greece and a citizen of Rome
he wrote to these cultures and this is what he said

For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
------------------------Ravi Zacharias
#how awesome

2 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by zo3184: 8:00pm On Oct 20, 2012
Religion is a crutch for weak minded people. Africans grow up there is no God.
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by tevinsolt: 8:01pm On Oct 20, 2012
zo3184: Religion is a crutch for weak minded people. Africans grow up there is no God.

you just made a claim....and burden of proof falls you now, can you back up you claim so we know you are not just spewing rubbish outta your mouth?
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by tpia5: 8:14pm On Oct 20, 2012
has the op finished googling and consulting others for answers to my post yet?

cant say he's racking his brain because that's an exercise he knows is futile.
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 8:15pm On Oct 20, 2012
this is as good as saying that a physics professor is irrational for daring to be better than his elementary science teacher.
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 8:16pm On Oct 20, 2012
ifeness:

How do you know these stories true? There is no god anywhere!
Will u say Jesus stories was false. Jesus told us that he has a father who is a God, if Jesus really existed and flew without using any rocket(wonder where he is now), then i beta believe him than any other thing.
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 8:27pm On Oct 20, 2012
Horus:

When Indian people come to England or any European country, they build and open Temples or shrines. When Chinese people come to England or any European country they build and open Temples or shrines; But when African people come to England or any European they build Churches and worship the images of their former slave masters. The Indians and Chinese have unity amongst themselves , they also have a good economy , China is going to be the next super power ,forget America. These countries India and China have also gone nuclear , they worship their own images (their ancestors) who work for them. The Europeans have religion, however, it does not stop them from working together. They have european union (which is the european community = common unity). But black africans are still fighting and arguing over a religion that does not belong to them. Many Nigerians for example will not work with you if you have a different religion. It was many years ago that Bob Marley sang emancipate ourselves from mental slavery , yet our people are still mentally enslaved. We are the only species on earth that will side another species against their own. You will not see a Chinese person side with a Hindu against another Chinese, neither will you see an Hindu side with a Chinese against another Hindu. You will not see a Cat side with a dog against another cat, neither will you see a dog side with a cat against another dog. You will not see a rat side with a cat against another rat, neither will you see a cat side with a rat against another cat. We black are the only species on the planet that will side with another species, be it Asian, Caucasian or Arab against their own. When will we realize we have been tricked with these monothetic religions of Judaism, Islam and Christianity?

I feel your intellectual swagger, bros!

You too much!
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 8:29pm On Oct 20, 2012
tpia@:

you're the one killing yourself.

the portuguese sent missionaries to nigeria before the british, duh.

you're so fixated on the english- is there a problem?

lol.......the portugueze that came to cart away slaves and materials were your christian missionaries?

Yet the British who brought christian schools, churches and Englis language + bibles are irrelevant!

Weere upon foolishness
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by seyibrown(f): 8:30pm On Oct 20, 2012
I bet logicboy03 wishes he never started this thread now! grin grin grin Christians - in Nigeria and world over - are neither bound nor accountable to the British but to Christ! Understood?? cheesy cheesy Get it into your atheist skull! grin grin

Lots of love,

Signed

seyibrown.
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 8:37pm On Oct 20, 2012
Sam xiu lee: you ve done a good job trying to educate the op and his atheist followers,but I want you to understand that its better you enlighten an illitrate than a semi illitrate,cos an illitrate will agree that he does not have know,but a semi illitrate,will claim he knows it all,while a litrate person will always seek knowledge till he is six feet below.
The word secular or being more of a Christian than the British does not correlate with the op's first post.Nigeria is a secular Nation,the British head of state is the Queen of England who also hold the title of the Head of the church of England,if the op was talking about they way we, Nigerian practice Christianity,that's another thing entirely but he did not,rather than that he is saying that we are not secular(I wonder what he meant by that).Yes we have problem where by Government both in federal and state level sponsor some religious programs eg pilgrimage,but we are secular atleast from our constitution.If the op is trying to talk about the way we practice various religion both Christianity and Islam,he should put his words right,even in Ghana they don't attened church the way we Nigerians do.Some people go to church cos they don't want to die of boredom on sunday when PHCN holds electricity.

See illiterate with his argument full of potholes calling someone an illiterate!

Pothole 1....the Queen's post is ceremonial

Pothole 2....Nigeria is not secular. We dont have a strict separation of church and state or else sharia would have been illegal from the outright. Our governors in the south support churches with state funds which is wrong.

Pothole 3; The point of the thread is to ask why the British who gave us Christianity dropped it. Simple but you guys just love attacking the messenger rather than talk sincerely about christianity.
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by quimbi(f): 8:39pm On Oct 20, 2012
I'm not surprised abt d argument against christianity.its d end-time;its expected.so wateva anybody says abt christianity,I won't stop believing in $ following Jesus.. CHRISTIANITY IS AN INDIVIDUAL RACE.

1 Like

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 20, 2012
seyibrown: I bet logicboy03 wishes he never started this thread now! grin grin grin Christians - in Nigeria and world over - are neither bound nor accountable to the British but to Christ! Understood?? cheesy cheesy Get it into your atheist skull! grin grin

Lots of love,

Signed

seyibrown.

Yet another christian that misses the point of the thread!

The thread is for us to question why the British who gave us christianity have dropped it.

I am not saying that Christainity originated in Britain or Jesus is not important.

BTW, if Jesus was so important to you, why was he never bothered about West Africa?
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 8:40pm On Oct 20, 2012
quimbi: I'm not surprised abt d argument against christianity.its d end-time;its expected.so wateva anybody says abt christianity,I won't stop believing in $ following Jesus.. CHRISTIANITY IS AN INDIVIDUAL RACE.

Since the 1970's, it has been the end of the world or end times.

Shut up wink
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by jagun007: 8:40pm On Oct 20, 2012
Logicboy:

You said:

Your logic fails. I am advocating the we adopt British secularism that works.

What happens when the British in the future drops secularism and adopt something else. Are we to then follow suite? Are you saying the British are more superior beings that we must follow their every decision?
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 8:45pm On Oct 20, 2012
jagun007:

What happens when the British in the future drops secularism and adopt something else. Are we to then follow suite? Are you saying the British are more superior beings that we must follow their every decision?

Secularism works. Christianity has never worked for nigeria or any advanced country. I shouldnt have said British secularism (slip of hand). I should have said secularismn

We should take the logical solution. Every advanced nation uses it. Swedish or Denmark secularism? wink
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by proffmanue(m): 8:52pm On Oct 20, 2012
It's a free world:choose the religion u like. Christianity is a way of life. most people are Christians by name but not by deeds. The British were fortunate to be the pipeline that brought Christianity to parts of Nigeria but they never force it upon us.
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 8:54pm On Oct 20, 2012
proffmanue: It's a free world:choose the religion u like. Christianity is a way of life. most people are Christians by name but not by deeds. The British were fortunate to be the pipeline that brought Christianity to parts of Nigeria but they never force it upon us.

Christianity is a religion

We were unfortunate to have the british force this foreign religion on us
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Areaboy2(m): 8:54pm On Oct 20, 2012
Sam xiu lee: you ve done a good job trying to educate the op and his atheist followers,but I want you to understand that its better you enlighten an illitrate than a semi illitrate,cos an illitrate will agree that he does not have know,but a semi illitrate,will claim he knows it all,while a litrate person will always seek knowledge till he is six feet below.
The word secular or being more of a Christian than the British does not correlate with the op's first post.Nigeria is a secular Nation,the British head of state is the Queen of England who also hold the title of the Head of the church of England,if the op was talking about they way we, Nigerian practice Christianity,that's another thing entirely but he did not,rather than that he is saying that we are not secular(I wonder what he meant by that).Yes we have problem where by Government both in federal and state level sponsor some religious programs eg pilgrimage,but we are secular atleast from our constitution.If the op is trying to talk about the way we practice various religion both Christianity and Islam,he should put his words right,even in Ghana they don't attened church the way we Nigerians do.Some people go to church cos they don't want to die of boredom on sunday when PHCN holds electricity.

lol! speaking of yourself here? hahahahaha.

Well, I can say I'm not an atheist since I believe in the boogie man.
Try and disprove the existence of boogie man and I'll join your Christian bandwagon undecided
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

Christianity is a religion

We were unfortunate to have the british force this foreign religion on us

but then you carry your load and sit square in british territory? grin the irony.
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by tevinsolt: 8:57pm On Oct 20, 2012
British brought schools, taught us science.......well according to your logic, logic....pheww the irrationality of being more scientifically oriented that some British? grin hahaha i guess we should stop going to school altogether because the colonial masters introduced us to it, Calabar should better start the killing of twins all over again because oh my Mary Slessor was wrong for telling them it's "inhumane"

1 Like

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 8:57pm On Oct 20, 2012
davidylan:

but then you carry your load and sit square in british territory? grin the irony.

Fail

My problem is not with the british but the religion.

Troll harder
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 9:01pm On Oct 20, 2012
tevinsolt: British brought schools, taught us science.......well according to your logic, logic....pheww the irrationality of being more scientifically oriented that some British? grin hahaha i guess we should stop going to school altogether because the colonial masters introduced us to it, Calabar should better start the killing of twins all over again because oh my Mary Slessor was wrong for telling them it's "inhumane"

Why are people stupid?

The British brought schools. religion, slavery, colonization, technology.

Must we accept religion with the schools and technology?

Furthermore, the British came since the 16th century but the first school they put was in the 19th century after the abolition of slavery. Think
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by tevinsolt: 9:02pm On Oct 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

Why are people stupid?

The British brought schools. religion, slavery, colonization, technology.

Must we accept religion with the schools and technology?

Furthermore, the British came since the 16th century but the first school they put was in the 19th century after the abolition of slavery. Think

you're not making sense anymore no disrespect....cuz ur contradicting yourself now
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by seyibrown(f): 9:03pm On Oct 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

Yet another christian that misses the point of the thread!
The thread is for us to question why the British who gave us christianity have dropped it.
I am not saying that Christainity originated in Britain or Jesus is not important.
BTW, if Jesus was so important to you, why was he never bothered about West Africa?

The British may have dropped the traditional 'going to church because society says so' but there are still many who love the Lord and remain truly xtian and many more coming back from the 'world' into Christ(I say this because I attend a spirit-filled 99% white church here). Gradual de-chritianisation is not peculiar to the British. Many Christian all over the world fall away from the church and many new people find christ. Go back and look at the history of those countries you claim are secular today, they were christian and they got where they are today ont he shoulders of christianity.

Society may change it's course, attitudes and it definition of morals, right and wrong but Christ does not change. Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.

The point is you made an error in suggesting Nigeria Xtians to do whatever British Xtians do. You should by extension say that Nigeria should do whatever Britain does. Why has Nigeria not decriminalised homosexuality? Got rid of the death penalty? Got rid of corruption? Become a welfare state? Kept terrorism under control? Ensure justice is available and affordable to the general citizenry? Is it all because this 'largely muslim country'( grin - according to how the british left it) still hold on to xtianity?

Xtianity does not hold back societal progress; The selfish, greedy people we continue to elect (or who find their by hook or crook and want to continue keeping the majority of Nigerians in poverty so they can be worshipped as 'big men') into leadership do!

2 Likes

Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Areaboy2(m): 9:13pm On Oct 20, 2012
quimbi: I'm not surprised abt d argument against christianity.its d end-time;its expected.so wateva anybody says abt christianity,I won't stop believing in $ following Jesus.. CHRISTIANITY IS AN INDIVIDUAL RACE.

you fail to realise the obvious

John the Baptist, Jesus, Paul and the lot were all Apocalypticists. The new testament is full of this apocalyptic message and they emphasized that their generation will not pass for it to happen.

well, 2000 years later and that apocalypse they believed in is still no where undecided

If you so believe in the end-time, why not kill yourself and die already so you will be saved? wink nonsense
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 9:15pm On Oct 20, 2012
Logicboy got sliced diced tossed-up rubbed-down used abused whooped smacked ganked and obliterated in this here thread. next time you think about opening your ill thought out threads, beg mukina not to put it on frontpage. keep it in-house ( religion section ) where the family know you are just a crazed lunatic and as such embrace your lunacy without fighting it much. you dont wanna be on frontpage with your diatribes. this here frontpage got too many snipers and killers and cold blooded mercenaries grin grin
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 9:16pm On Oct 20, 2012
tevinsolt:

you're not making sense anymore no disrespect....cuz ur contradicting yourself now

How is that? hmmm?
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 9:20pm On Oct 20, 2012
seyibrown:

The British may have dropped the traditional 'going to church because society says so' but there are still many who love the Lord and remain truly xtian and many more coming back from the 'world' into Christ(I say this because I attend a spirit-filled 99% white church here). Gradual de-chritianisation is not peculiar to the British. Many Christian all over the world fall away from the church and many new people find christ. Go back and look at the history of those countries you claim are secular today, they were christian and they got where they are today ont he shoulders of christianity.

Society may change it's course, attitudes and it definition of morals, right and wrong but Christ does not change. Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.

The point is you made an error in suggesting Nigeria Xtians to do whatever British Xtians do. You should by extension say that Nigeria should do whatever Britain does. Why has Nigeria not decriminalised homosexuality? Got rid of the death penalty? Got rid of corruption? Become a welfare state? Kept terrorism under control? Ensure justice is available and affordable to the general citizenry? Is it all because this 'largely muslim country'( grin - according to how the british left it) still hold on to xtianity?

Xtianity does not hold back societal progress; The selfish, greedy people we continue to elect (or who find their by hook or crook and want to continue keeping the majority of Nigerians in poverty so they can be worshipped as 'big men') into leadership do!

Lol @ the bold.

I cant be bothered to correct you if you still believe that at this point!
Re: The Irrationality Of Being More "Christian" Than The British by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 20, 2012
************QUADRUPLE CRAP**********************

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Why Are Atheists All Over The World So Slow And Irrational / CAC Members Fight Over Church Leadership(video) / Evolution 101

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.