Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,061 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

My Conversation With An American Lady - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Conversation With An American Lady (21492 Views)

My Conversation With A Girl I Met / My Conversation With An American Lady / How To Start And Maintain An Online Conversation With A Stranger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by afm4ever(m): 9:05pm On Oct 24, 2012
american mugu ;Damerican mugu
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by Excellent7(m): 10:37pm On Oct 24, 2012
@ OP I believe your story completely. You haven't seen anything yet. In fact a lot of those folks are geographically ignorant. I remember a video clip on similar subject matter; come and see variety of answers!!!
Be of help to your friend next time with a good world map point out your country, South Africa and Brazil, as a one of kind gesture against the geographical challenge.
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by MOBBDEEP: 11:19pm On Oct 24, 2012
drnoel:

Men I sabi say geography is not my strongest so once in those kind of situation I don't like guessing so as not 2 make a fool of myself. I say plainly, pls could u tell me what country that is? Or pls where is that on the map?

DrNoel, no be say I wan show myself.
Eventhough I like challenges especially academic ones, I don't do it to impress people. But you know now!, when a young red-blooded in her mid-late 30s lady gives you a lead/cue about sparring together and it's not as if mockery is intended. She really wanted to play. I thought I knew. Meanwhile, try to check the river, you'll discover that 2 of the countries I mentioned were on the path of its course.
By the way, she was a radical from RSA.

mayorteeny:

My chairman I see you. pDude committed an ecological fallacy by his lame attempt to label all graduates of nigerian institutions philistines. Even if me i no sabi book i know say your erudite self na near genius. Anyway he has admitted he is a JJC in the States. May i point out that your sagacious self is also guilty of that transgression?. The average american is far from being 'advanced' or being a 'scholar' in the true definition of the word.

TJ Baba niyen! You wan be dey soap your guy? Which one be say I dey near genius?
Koala sabi im place. Likewise the monkeys & the lemurs.
That I share the ideology that an average American is advanced is not outright faulty. When you equate raw inputs to raw outputs, I mean matching perceived opportunities & resources with expected results, you'll hardly be faulted taking a stance of presuming that an average American is a scholar. I quite agree some can be highly .........(hmm, kapish!!!)
How your side brother?
Where Awo dey now?
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by linearity: 12:55am On Oct 25, 2012
American do not focus much attention to Geopgraphy in the grade schools...so if one did not study Geography at college or University level, they will know little or nothing beyond the continental US.

It appear this perspective is driven by their assertion about the American exceptionalism...and as such they felt that it is not worthwhile to know a lot about other people.

Americans are also very lazy when it comes to language comprehension, once you do not speak their standard accent, they do not make the effort to try and understand what you are saying. But immigrates takes the effort to understand themselves and the American accent in respective of the immigrate's country of origin.

Majority of Americans still believe that Swahili is the language spoken in the entire Africa or black country.

1 Like

Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by MrsChima(f): 1:06am On Oct 25, 2012
America must not be too ignorant ...they havent close the borders. Oops.
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by Nobody: 1:16am On Oct 25, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
America must not be too ignorant ...they havent close the borders. Oops.

grin grin lipsrsealed grin
you ain't right. you know that?
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by MrsChima(f): 1:43am On Oct 25, 2012
*Kails*:

grin grin lipsrsealed grin
you ain't right. you know that?

Girl..I be saying the first thing on my mind. No wonder I got hate mails on Nairaland. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by mojounited(m): 2:30am On Oct 25, 2012
dayokanu: I know a lot of Yoruba people refer to Anyone whose name doesnt sound Yoruba or Hausa as Ibo.

Friends from Benue, Edo, Kogi, Akwa-Ibom, Rivers etc have been referred to as Ibos by a lot of Yorubas

Ignorance is in every society even more common among us in Nigeria
I had the above experience during NYSC in Yenagoa; after exhausting much time and energy informing my fellow ajuwaya (a Yoruba lad) that I'm not Igbo but rather an Akwa Ibomite (in the south-south, not south east), dude boldly/confidently told me that "'you guys' (south-south and south-east) are all the same"... cheesy I just laughed it off albeit it was stupidly beyond ignorance, even after being notably informed/corrected...
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by Truckpusher(m): 2:40am On Oct 25, 2012
UmericanGirl: I dont know any Americans who partied in 5th grade. Americans dont start partying and doing drugs until middle school/highschool... so she cant blame her stupidity on that.

looks like today is yankees bashing grin grin grin grin.UMERICANGIRL ,u didn't tell me you guys are getting ur face bloodied...lets go kick some american butt.
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by UmericanGirl(f): 2:47am On Oct 25, 2012
Truckpusher: looks like today is yankees bashing grin grin grin grin.UMERICANGIRL ,u didn't tell me you guys are getting ur face bloodied...lets go kick some american butt.

Its ok if its the stupid ones - I call it population control.
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by Truckpusher(m): 2:53am On Oct 25, 2012
I met a canadian who doesn't like black people but yet he claims he isn't a racist, and i ask him y do u hate blacks He said black people does all the bad things in the movies grin grin grin grin...and i was shocked to my bones when a korean lady believes that tigers,cheetahs,et al lives with the people at home and some African folks live on trees Every nite we're hanging with friends for a couple beer all she wants to hear from me was abt Animals and Africans living together i got so tired that i had to cook up a story abt how i was bitten by a lion when i was a little boy, and she swallowed everything hook,line and sinker...Now you tell me what can be more ignorant than that?
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by UmericanGirl(f): 2:59am On Oct 25, 2012
Truckpusher: I met a canadian who doesn't like black people but yet he claims he isn't a racist, and i ask him y do u hate blacks He said black people does all the bad things in the movies grin grin grin grin...and i was shocked to my bones when a korean lady believes that tigers,cheetahs,et al lives with the people at home and some African folks live on trees Every nite we're hanging with friends for a couple beer all she wants to hear from me was abt Animals and Africans living together i got so tired that i had to cook up a story abt how i was bitten by a lion when i was a little boy, and she swallowed everything hook,line and sinker...Now you tell me what can be more ignorant than that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by mojounited(m): 3:03am On Oct 25, 2012
@Topic, I agree with a lot of comments here that ignorance knows no nationality/race...but after watching the "american stupidity" video on youtube, I still can't seem to fathom how ALL those people (more than five of them) couldn't answer these particular questions:

*1) how many sides does a triangle have? - One responded. "Damn, FOUR". The other said "there are no sides, ONE" shocked WTF!?
*2) what currency does Great Britain/United Kingdom use? - One said, "Queen Elizabeth's Money" cheesy

Now for Q2, given that both GB and USA have had a long written history as the former once colonized the latter and, with most homes in the USA with internet facilities plus US cable news (CNN) covering many aspects of global issues, you'd at least expect to get better and more appropriate responses alas... lipsrsealed

Nywayz, God bless America grin
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by mojounited(m): 3:20am On Oct 25, 2012
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by dayokanu(m): 5:37am On Oct 25, 2012
mojounited:
I had the above experience during NYSC in Yenagoa; after exhausting much time and energy informing my fellow ajuwaya (a Yoruba lad) that I'm not Igbo but rather an Akwa Ibomite (in the south-south, not south east), dude boldly/confidently told me that "'you guys' (south-south and south-east) are all the same"... cheesy I just laughed it off albeit it was stupidly beyond ignorance, even after being notably informed/corrected...

ANd the Yoruba guy was a Graduate who is supposed to be one of the most educated doesn't even know about HIS own country yet we are blaming people who dont knw about Africa thats thousands of miles away
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by dayokanu(m): 5:41am On Oct 25, 2012
mojounited: @Topic, I agree with a lot of comments here that ignorance knows no nationality/race...but after watching the "american stupidity" video on youtube, I still can't seem to fathom how ALL those people (more than five of them) couldn't answer these particular questions:

*1) how many sides does a triangle have? - One responded. "Damn, FOUR". The other said "there are no sides, ONE" shocked WTF!?
*2) what currency does Great Britain/United Kingdom use? - One said, "Queen Elizabeth's Money" cheesy

Now for Q2, given that both GB and USA have had a long written history as the former once colonized the latter and, with most homes in the USA with internet facilities plus US cable news (CNN) covering many aspects of global issues, you'd at least expect to get better and more appropriate responses alas... lipsrsealed

I am sure if you ask the same two question on the street of Ikire, Arochukwu or Azare you would get the same answer. Most people wont even know what a triangle is.

And Most ppl in Nigeria despite sharing colonial ties wth UK wont know the money they spend in UK. SOme would say "Owo Iya Charlie" - Meaning "Charles moms Money"
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by eaglechild: 7:02am On Oct 25, 2012
dayokanu:

I am sure if you ask the same two question on the street of Ikire, Arochukwu or Azare you would get the same answer. Most people wont even know what a triangle is.

And Most ppl in Nigeria despite sharing colonial ties wth UK wont know the money they spend in UK. SOme would say "Owo Iya Charlie" - Meaning "Charles moms Money"
Not a fair comparism at all.
America is a first world country with up to 90% literacy levels.
They have about 50% of the universities in the top 20 rankings.
Majority of the citizens have access to the internet.
It's true that not all make it to college but a very good number make thru highschool (which is where most of the geography is taught).
With all the advantage, one would expect them to be more enlightened!!
I wouldnt even want to begin to narrate my experience with some A class college gradutes.
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by MrsChima(f): 1:24pm On Oct 25, 2012
eaglechild:
It's true that not all make it to college but a very good number make thru highschool (which is where most of the geography is taught).
I wouldnt even want to begin to narrate my experience with some A class college gradutes.

You should know that America is one of the largest immigrant societies and hispanic immigrants are increasing everyday. Just because a person is in America doesn't mean that they were born in America. Secondly...If Princeton was in every state or city...PEOPLE WOULD STILL NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE SCHOOL...they have a very strict admission policy and your cognitive level has to be at a top percent. As industrious America is...there are POOR and ILLITERATE people in AMERICA....SHOCKING! I know!

Not all Americans have access to quality education and awareness. Not all Americans can travel outside of their town, city, and state. Not all Americans can read or write. How can you expect an illiterate person to know Russia isn't near Alaska? According to many..since America is so lazy, uneducated, illiterate, simpleminded, slow, ret@arded, sheltered, spoiled, arrogant, bigheaded, and obnoxious then what excuses does the immigrants in my area has that can't function on a higher level? Exactly.

The bottom line is....it doesn't matter how many "popular" schools a country has...doesn't mean everybody in that country has ACCESS TO THE QUALITY EDUCATION/AWARENESS/EXPOSURE. The WORLD HAS A FAIR SHARE OF SCATTERED BRAINS and one of your brother made an ignorant statement when he said, "The West is responsible for sex trade and intimacy gadget phenomenon in Africa". Really?

The sex trade is OLDER THAN AFRICA, Africa is OLDER THAN AMERICA, KINGS back in ancient times had CONCUBINES/HAREMS, and America do not have a monarchy history. The first intimacy gadget was invented in CHINA and one of the world LARGEST intimacy gadget STORES IS IN CHINA. According to the map...China is in the EAST. grin

Your brother also said that He despises everything Western and then said he graduated with a degree from Oxford University! Do he represent all Africans? (rhetorical question)

1 Like

Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by MOBBDEEP: 2:20pm On Oct 25, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Just because a person is in America doesn't mean that they were born in America. Secondly...If Princeton was in every state or city...PEOPLE WOULD STILL NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE SCHOOL...they have a very strict admission policy and your cognitive level has to be at a top percent. As industrious America is...there are POOR and ILLITERATE people in AMERICA....SHOCKING! I know!

Not all Americans have access to quality education and awareness. Not all Americans can travel outside of their town, city, and state. Not all Americans can read or write. How can you expect an illiterate person to know Russia isn't near Alaska? According to many..since America is so lazy, uneducated, illiterate, simpleminded, slow, ret@arded, sheltered, spoiled, arrogant, bigheaded, and obnoxious then what excuses does the immigrants in my area has that can't function on a higher level? Exactly.

The bottom line is....it doesn't matter how many "popular" schools a country has...doesn't mean everybody in that country has ACCESS TO THE QUALITY EDUCATION/AWARENESS/EXPOSURE

We quite all accede to fact that all societies present with her share of 'the highs & the lows'.
The point here is that the lady in question is a scholar or literate, and not an ordinary jane on the street. May be she is not a pure Caucasian as you hinted on the matter of immigration, is another kettle. But she's educated.

The point everyone is raising is that most African scholars who emigrate, when they meet their educated white counterparts are not overtly/markedly impressed. As a matter of fact, some display ridiculous level of retained knowledge. This is what informed the intercourse on this thread.

Some things count more than the others. As a learned person, apart from your chosen profession, you should have a measure of General Knowledge spanning Cultural Diversities, Animal & Plant World, Geography, Numerical World (Arithmetics & Simple Economic), Classic & World History including the Mythologies, Basic Human Systems & Functioning, Religion & Important World Personalities.
But if you GROSSLY evaluate the overall values of the Whites, you discover that they have more knowledge/information on Models, Entertainments, Celebrities & gizmos etc. This sounds more vain but then, you may say it is our own view/world, and we should let them be.
Happy Thursday!
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by MrsChima(f): 2:42pm On Oct 25, 2012
MOBBDEEP:

We quite all accede to fact that all societies present with her share of 'the highs & the lows'.
The point here is that the lady in question is a scholar or literate, and not an ordinary jane on the street. May be she is not a pure Caucasian as you hinted on the matter of immigration, is another kettle. But she's educated.

The point everyone is raising is that most African scholars who emigrate, when they meet their educated white counterparts are not overtly/markedly impressed. As a matter of fact, some display ridiculous level of retained knowledge. This is what informed the intercourse on this thread.

Some things count more than the others. As a learned person, apart from your chosen profession, you should have a measure of General Knowledge spanning Cultural Diversities, Animal & Plant World, Geography, Numerical World (Arithmetics & Simple Economic), Classic & World History including the Mythologies, Basic Human Systems & Functioning, Religion & Important World Personalities.
But if you GROSSLY evaluate the overall values of the Whites, you discover that they have more knowledge/information on Models, Entertainments, Celebrities & gizmos etc. This sounds more vain but then, you may say it is our own view/world, and we should let them be.
Happy Thursday!

You wrote a dissertation and STILL MISSED THE POINT. My post is a general statement and it wasn't about some imaginary lady that was made up by OP. It is about ignorance and accurate facts.

You can skirt around the obvious and consume bullshit if YOU WANT TO...what I said was FACTS. Bottom line.

Ignorance is ignorance. [size=44pt] NOBODY IS EXEMPT FROM IT. Keep it real. [/size]
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by Nobody: 10:26pm On Oct 25, 2012
LOL chima is everywhere!

sis is getting it in! I can't keep up! grin
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 25, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Girl..I be saying the first thing on my mind. No wonder I got hate mails on Nairaland. grin grin grin grin grin

lol NOOO-WAY! grin

Sure beats being cyber stalked. tongue
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by MrsChima(f): 1:51am On Oct 26, 2012
*Kails*:

lol NOOO-WAY! grin

Sure beats being cyber stalked. tongue
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by SpicyMimi(f): 3:06am On Oct 26, 2012
carefreewannabe:

oh happy day smiley mynd agrees with one of my posts. smiley
Oh...yea happy day! The dude is always against most posts here!
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by dayokanu(m): 5:28pm On Oct 26, 2012
eaglechild:

But I tell you as a matter of fact most Nigerians Class A graduate are even more ignorant. Several University graduates in Nigeria dont even know that people from Benue, Edo and Akwa Ibom are not Igbos? Someone on this thread gave an example of a corper who doesnt.

Some people get to Jigawa and are surprised that some people there can speak Engish because they expect everyone there to be a cattle rearer.

Gather 20 Nigerian graduate here and ask them whats the difference between England United Kingdom and Great britain and watch the pathetic answers they would give. Despite that Nigeria and England have centuries of relationship.

If you expect every American scholar to know about everywhere in the world then I can as well expect you to tell me the native Langauge spoken in Kurdistan
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by dayokanu(m): 5:36pm On Oct 26, 2012
MOBBDEEP: The point everyone is raising is that most African scholars who emigrate, when they meet their educated white counterparts are not overtly/markedly impressed. As a matter of fact, some display ridiculous level of retained knowledge. This is what informed the intercourse on this thread.

Happy Thursday!

When I talk to educated Nigerians as well I get ridiculous answers like I can tell you over 75% of Nigerian graduates dont know the difference between UK, Britain and England.

Over half of Nigerian graduates are very ignorant about their own country. I graduated from a Grade A Nigerian University and most of my colleagues dont even know about their own country.

Let me ask you How many Nigerian graduates know anything about Alexander the great, Ghenghis Kahn, The Incas civilization of South America, locate Afghanistan on the map or even about fellow African like Mansa Musa or Chaka Zullu?

There are just like an elite group of Nigerian graduates maybe 5% who can boast of well rounded knowledge in World Politics, biology, current affairs, Geography
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by dayokanu(m): 5:39pm On Oct 26, 2012
Read this thread about supposed Nigerian college graduates

https://www.nairaland.com/1074812/nysc-reject-illiterate-graduates-esut
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by bigfrancis21: 12:30am On Oct 27, 2012
mojounited: @Topic, I agree with a lot of comments here that ignorance knows no nationality/race...but after watching the "american stupidity" video on youtube, I still can't seem to fathom how ALL those people (more than five of them) couldn't answer these particular questions:

hahahahahahahahahahahhaaha! Chai! Nairaland! Una no go kill me with laughter o. A whole bunch of funny peeps out here.
Nairaland is one place I come to hang out whenever I feel like having a good laugh and relaxing real good.
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by Nobody: 4:44am On Oct 27, 2012
dayokanu: Read this thread about supposed Nigerian college graduates

https://www.nairaland.com/1074812/nysc-reject-illiterate-graduates-esut

I'm glad someone on this post has common sense.
Re: My Conversation With An American Lady by chronique(m): 7:35am On Oct 27, 2012
I think it's a global thing. Ask most Nigerians where peru,barbados,bahrain,cambodia,oman,belize,antigua & barbuda,el salvador,grenada,dominica,saint vincent & grenadines,saint lucia,saint kitts & nevis,nicaragua,etc are located & they wont be able to answer you. As much as we feel the girl in question is dumb which I do not dispute,lets also not forget that north america as a continent,is largely made up of the USA,with canada,cuba & other carribean nations, making up the nos. The U.S alone is "almost" a continent on its own. The media there hasnt helped them either as they're most times fed with one sided info. Most Americans see Africa as a country not continent. They know more about Africa but little about the individual countries. As much as we see Nigeria as big,to the average American/European,Nigeria is almost like saint lucia or saint kitts & nevis that most Africans do not know if & where it exists. Luckily for us,sports & internet scam perpetuated by yahoo boys has also created some kind of awareness. Moreover,lets not forget that it's only recently that Nigeria started getting on the spotlight & started attracting international interest. Millitary rule in this country made us as irrelevant as anything. We all went to school & most of the countries we know are the ones we were taught. Only those who took extra interest or travel out regularly will know that some of these others countries exist.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Free Mtn Cheat..*131*205# / Finally Exposed:vera Sidika Is An Expensive Prostitute. See Shocking Evidence / Guys: Can You Date A Lady That Smokes??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.