Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate (8867 Views)

Yarima Took Clerics To Jonathan To Pray For Peace / Don't Honour Invitations, Muslim Group Tells Yarima / Senator Ahmed Sani Yerima Justifies Marriage To 13-year-old Egyptian Girl. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Olulayomi(f): 5:33pm On Oct 26, 2006
He, He o, wonder shall never end in this Nigeria!!!!!!!!.  With this "guguru and epa" politics grin.  Ride on brother!!!  By the time u people turn this country inside out sha, we shall see. cool

However, if Yerima did not win come 2007, I will pack all my luggage and luggageses(or is it bag and baggageses) to Malaysia.(DONT BEG ME O)

So help them God grin
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by buchio7(m): 11:13am On Oct 27, 2006
alwahidi:

wazz up!
i'm hailing the wrong person? why not?

chxta does dis answer ur question of d grey matter? someone who will consciously admit backing a loosing horse is himself a looser. It makes me wonder how he became a millionaire as he claims to be.

alwahidi:

wazz up!

i want to try my best to cure you so you can be a good citizen of nigeria under the leadership
of H.E A. SANI YARIMA WHY NOT?

no thank you, try and cure urself first from ur delusions b4 trying anyone else and by d way i am annointed of God so u cant even try coming near me so be careful.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by belloti(m): 3:59pm On Oct 27, 2006
I d rather reply David who atleast seem to be attacking the issues sensibly. If you remember the famous "four leperous fingers". credited to the kongi himself. Nigerian politicians are basically the same in resourses and substances. Why i choose yarima was due to his relative sincerity compared to the rest of the pack. He is someone i know very well (his strength and his shortcomings). i know the bane of his problems in zamfara was the selfishness of his lieutenants. you really dont have to believe this but i am from zamfara state and i should know better.

But the real issue here is that of his right to aspire and our rights to either accept him or boot him out. If you dont think he is good, its ok you are only exercising your rights of universal adult sufferage. But then that should also not wipe away my own right to choose.

Unfortunately, whereever we discuss issues we inadvertedly betray our regional and religious sentiments. You probably oppose yarima just on the sharia ground, for if performance is your yardstick i wonder who you d rather choose. But to all intent and purpose the introduction of sharia in zamfara was inline with the yearnings of the majority. This is a verifiable fact. Yarima can dare not contemplate adopting sharia for the rest of the country. it just cant work.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Nobody: 4:26pm On Oct 27, 2006
belloti:

But the real issue here is that of his right to aspire and our rights to either accept him or boot him out. If you don't think he is good, its ok you are only exercising your rights of universal adult sufferage. But then that should also not wipe away my own right to choose.

As far as i know, NO ONE has begrudged Yarima his right as a Nigerian to seek any elective post he so desires, however, it is not too much to insist that those who aspire to rule us are doing so on the basis of a solid ideology and have a good track record! It is not enough to seek elective office simply on the basis of "i want to change Nigeria"!

Besides do we really have voting "rights" as citizens of Nigeria? What happened to the rights we exercised in 1993? How sure are we that it is indeed those we vote into office that will get there? Nigerians are tired of being constantly told to exercise their rights to choose when infact it is "God" who is doing all the choosing!

belloti:

Unfortunately, whereever we discuss issues we inadvertedly betray our regional and religious sentiments. You probably oppose yarima just on the sharia ground, for if performance is your yardstick i wonder who you d rather choose. But to all intent and purpose the introduction of sharia in zamfara was inline with the yearnings of the majority. This is a verifiable fact. Yarima can dare not contemplate adopting sharia for the rest of the country. it just can't work.

It is no longer a hidden fact that Nigerians think first in terms of geopolitical zones before they remember Nigeria! If not why do we do every thing on the basis of quota system, have federal character firmly enshrined in our constitution and our politicians are busy talking about zoning? If i oppose Yarima it is because i cant remember the last time we had good governance with a northerner in power! Barring all attempts at political correctness, the north has continously been a barrier between Nigeria and development! From Yakubu Gowon to Sheu Shagari, Abacha, Babangida et al, Nigeria is presently tottering on the brink of collapse.

You will recollect that the present polio problem of which Nigeria accounts for 95% of the world's cases in 2006 was as a direct result of northern governors banning the vaccination of their children more than 2 yrs ago on the grounds of sharia! This same men are now angling for office!!!! Only in Nigeria!

If not for the north, Sheu Shagari would never have held power, i wonder what life would have been if Awolowo had been president. Obasanjo is in power today because of the myopic north that chooses to vote enmasse based on their selfish ethnic interests rather than the interests of the polity at large.

Why should i vote for Yarima? On the basis that you know him? What are his antecedents? How did he rule Zamfara for 8 yrs? Has all his achievements in 8 yrs been limited to simply "laying a sustenable foundation" for development that translates to no more than abandoned projects?
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by belloti(m): 4:59pm On Oct 27, 2006
David, i really did not expect you to be etnically biased. you ve always sounded like a broadminded nigerian. But its ok, if i got you wrong there. In Nigerian politics, we have being contending with "trial and error" politicians on a rotational basis. May be that is the best context for bringing up acceptable leadership in the polity, irrespective of expertise and merits.

If the baton is now destined to be passed over to the uncompetent north in line with the zoning arrangement so be it. we should just prepare ourselves for another era of dull and unglamorous federal government for atleast four more years. I look forward to seeing your preferred candidate from the north of niger. Its definitely going to be a christian, if i know you the way i think i did.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 27, 2006
@ Belloti,

Ethnocentrism did not start from me, the first question you need to ask yourself is if your politicians themselves are not biased themselves.

I care less if the candidate is a muslim or not. Abiola was a muslim yet we voted for him enmasse! What we need is not a religious or ethnic jingoist! All we want is someone who is genuinely interested in the nation and not just his pocket!
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Nobody: 5:17pm On Oct 27, 2006
great article

Nigeria is indeed a funny nation, a nation of unbelievable comedies. Those who choose to avoid all the anger and heartache associated with the paradox, double standards, hypocrisies, injustice, sectionalism, brutality, and general inefficiencies associated with the Nigerian system, will probably live a long and healthy life full of laugh’s as they contemplate the Nigerian cinema playing out before their eyes.

Here once again is another typical Nigerian comedian. A religious zealot that typifies all that is wrong with our nascent nation. A man that identifies more with Saudi Arabia than his huddled suffering Nigerian masses North and South. A classic example of how not to be a Nigerian. Alhaji Ahmed Sani Yerima, the Governor of Zamfara, who against the dictates of our secular constitution, and against all odds introduced Sharia laws in his state in 2000, sparking off massive riots that consumed the lives and properties of thousands of innocent Nigerians.

Sharia laws prescribe stoning, amputation, and flogging amongst others as punishment for crime. The introduction of sharia laws pioneered by Yerima, spread like wildfire in the North, grievously threatening once again the fragile foundation of the state. The very idea of sharia challenged like never before in post-war Nigeria , the raison d’etre of Nigeria . It brought to the fore the many contradictions inherent in our forced union.

Apart from being a religious zealot, the man is also a known segregationist, and architect of several discriminatory policies in public schools and general administration in Zamfara state. His government introduced mandatory levies for non-indigenes and followed up with a total ban on non-indigenes in public schools in the state. There has also been a stronger emphasis on segregation, with non-indigenes increasingly relegated to the infamous “sabon gari” strangers quarters.

Admittedly segregation and discrimination is nothing new in the North. The sabon gari segregationist phenomenon has been a way of life in all Northern cities, and such discriminatory policies in public schools, employment and general administration  is a common feature in almost all Northern states, but yet this are the same people that shout “one Nigeria” the loudest.

In the case of Ahmed Yerima he has gone a step further by wanting to be the president of Nigeria . In Zamfara state his 7 year administration has left the people as destitute as ever. The state is entirely dependent on resources from the South, including value added tax (VAT) on the sale of alcohol which incidentally is banned in Zamfara state. I wonder why a state that bans the sale of alcohol, even when the Governor secretly drinks the finest French Cognac, should collect VAT on the sale of alcohol from other states.

The question is; what does a man like Yerima, hardly a Nigerian in letter and spirit, inefficient, corrupt, and intolerant, with the blood of thousands of innocent Nigerians in his hands, as a result of his ill conceived sharia adventure have to offer Nigerians? If not that Nigeria has gone bananas, how can such a comical zealot, aspire to rule a multi-ethnic, multi-religious Nigeria , after the assault, pain and anguish he caused to millions of Nigerians?

Some school of thought, believe his wider unspoken mission, is to turn the whole of Nigeria into a sharia state, as was the case in Sudan, a situation that pitched the Southern Sudanese against the North in a conflict that continues todate.It will be foolhardy to assume, characters like Yerima who represent the fault lines and the greatest obstacles to nationhood do not harbour such extremist ideas.

The tragedy of Nigeria is that most often, those, whose very ideals, beliefs, and actions oppose the very idea of Nigeria , are the ones who get entrusted with power. That was why at independence power was given to those who opposed independence, as against those who actually fought for independence. For Nigerians this should be a period of vigilance, to prevent zealots like Yerima from ever getting near the seat of power.

Comrade Lawrence Chinedu Nwobu

Email: lawrencenwobu@yahoo.comThis email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it 

Comments
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Nobody: 5:21pm On Oct 27, 2006
"Some school of thought, believe his wider unspoken mission, is to turn the whole of Nigeria into a sharia state, as was the case in Sudan, a situation that pitched the Southern Sudanese against the North in a conflict that continues todate.It will be foolhardy to assume, characters like Yerima who represent the fault lines and the greatest obstacles to nationhood do not harbour such extremist ideas".

Never will this happen,God will turn him and clowns like him into apes before that happens.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by buchio7(m): 5:42pm On Oct 27, 2006
babyosisi:

"Some school of thought, believe his wider unspoken mission, is to turn the whole of Nigeria into a sharia state, as was the case in Sudan, a situation that pitched the Southern Sudanese against the North in a conflict that continues todate.It will be foolhardy to assume, characters like Yerima who represent the fault lines and the greatest obstacles to nationhood do not harbour such extremist ideas".

Never will this happen,God will turn him and clowns like him into apes before that happens.

Though ur tots r also valid my main concern is his ability to offer any credible leadership for this nation. It is also funny when ppl praise mediocrity and throw away the salient points which make credible and worthwhile leadership all in d name of "HE IS MY CANDIDATE".

Yesterday i watched an interview on channels television with donald duke as a guest and u cld see it vivdly that this guy had/has vision, is articulate in wat he wants and knws how to get it. I judge ppl based on utterances and actions n on these 2 yard sticks i found that he excelled in flying colors . I am nt frm cross-river neither do i feel that duke has no cobwebs but u cant escape nt feeling , "wowed!!!" when u heard the guy talk of wat he has achieved(mind u i have also seen it evidently in d whole state).

I have had d previledge of also hearing yerima talk (especially during his declaration for president and was totally unimpressed by wat he had to say nt because i dislike him nor his religion but there was something missing. He is just nt a presidential material. Period!!!!
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Aggressa(m): 5:52pm On Oct 27, 2006
@Belloti,
I commend your attempt at being 'broadminded' but you've really betrayed your own religious and ethnic bias in approach to this particular issue. You stated that Yerima's introduction of Sharia law in Zamfara state was "in response to yearnings of the majority". First, what majority? can you quote the result of the referendum conducted in which majority of poor and hungry Zamfarans gave their support to it? or rather that he bowed to the yearnings of some 'over-zealous Imams' to the detriment of democracy almost destabilising the nation he now wants to lead? (God forbid!!). One of the first rules of Leadership is that a leader must attempt to do what is right because it is right and not because it makes him a friend of the "influential elites".
Again you've shown Yerima is incapable of leading because he cannot control or contain the "selfishness of his lieutanants"(your own words); do you seriously think somebody who can't control his own lieutanants can control a nation with diverse opinions and oppositions?.
The fact that "you know him very well"(your own words) is making you to delibrately refuse to see his gross incapabilities; that betrays your own self-interest, but just as it is your right to support anybody or anything, it is also the right of others to critically appraise such individuals and present our conclusions, however bitter it may sound, that is called freedom of speech and expression.
Yerima is a clear and present danger to the unity and survival of our multi-ethnic, multireligious nation; he is a clear and present danger to democracy and right of individuals. He has shown himself to be an agent of division, rather than agent of unity by the discriminatory fees and ethnic polarizations in Zamfara State, what do you think he will do if he becomes president of a multi-ehtnic Nigeria? (Almighty God forbid again and forever!!). Belloti, I commend your 'intellectual attempts' and approach to issues, but you need to truthfully arrive at conclusions not based on personal gains.
What other legacy has he got apart from Sharia law and indictment by EFCC? Attempt to sell him to us, please  and you will see He has got nothing. Believe me, Belloti, there are much more credible people in the North (Muktar Shagari, Ahmed Makarfi, el-Rufai, Col Umar etc) who have shown themselves to be in tune with the multi-ethnic, multi-religious realities of Nigeria, rather than a religious bigot called Yerima.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Nobody: 8:00pm On Oct 27, 2006
Thanks Babyosisi for that excellent article. As usual those who choose to see only in the dark will argue that the writer was being biased along ethnoreligious lines.

I do not wish to see Yerima as the problem, rather Yerima is simply the symptom of a greater malaise that is presently plaguing political Nigeria. It is only in Nigeria that those who pose the greatest danger to her very survival are crowned as "God's" annointed servants to rule the nation. It is only in Nigeria that those who have spent the last 8 yrs simply sharing "federal" (read to mean southern) allocation among idle civil servants and semi-literate political hangers-on are touted as Presidential material and are lauded by sycophants as having "laid a sustainable foundation" for development.

What are Yerima's antecedents? How much internal Revenue does Zamfara generate? In what way has it contributed to Nigeria's development other than being the hotbed of politically motivated religous upheaval?

Why do we have to be saddled yet with another "God" inspired president? Is it not enough that those in power are "waiting on God" to help them perpetuate themselves illegally in power?
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Nobody: 11:16pm On Oct 27, 2006
What will motivate a man like Alhaji Sani to put down 10million naira in order to obtain a presidential ticket when it is obvious he is unfit for the post?, Ohh I forgot, he didn't have to work for the 10million anyways so he can as well give it to his party!
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by otokx(m): 11:28pm On Oct 28, 2006
this is fun
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by belloti(m): 10:00am On Oct 31, 2006
Now its getting really exciting.  How do i even start replying you guys because i don't think i stand the slightest chance of getting you understand my points. But let me give it a try,

Havila, this is what happenned in zamfara. When Yarima started campaigning in 1998, the biggest heavy weight in zamfara politics were in PDP, but he chooses to go for a little unknow ANPP. PDP loaded with money were certain to clinch the seat with a landslide victory when yarima changed his slogan to introduce religious cliche that has always prove to be a soft spot in northern nigeria. He promised to rule the state with the devine laws if elected, he basically transformed himself from a yuppish suave run of the mill guy to a very religious minded polician. He swept the votes against the likes of Gen. Gusau, 3 ex ministers and several ex- ambassadors. When he got to power, the voters sprang up asking him to fulfill his pledge. He was careful enough to constitute a committe headed by the most famous legal luminary from zamfara, Alhaji Usman Dangoggo Bungudu to go round the state and come up with the real mood of the masses. They submitted their report with strong recommendation for a sharia law in a state with 99% muslim population. He passed on the report to to the state Assembly where they voted 100% in support of the Law. If you were Yarima, i don't know what you could have done next.

In respect of his performance so far. i can't say he has done very well, i would rather say he did exactly what his colleagues did in other states. Very little to show. But that was aided by the size of the constituencies. It was a small illeterate enclave where you can afford to slip off and still get commendation from those you mismanaged. He was a new horn in politics then and practically inexperieced despited his overwhelming academic credentials. But i can tell you he was sincere.And he really did try.

As Nigerians, we seem to be expecting too much from the sinners like us who we elected or got themselves in power. those guys are not saints or angels. we don't have them in nigeria now. we can only hope that probably at some stage in our lifetime we begin to apply a winning formular that may have some semblance of success. If you think Duke its better i assure you guys that soon after taking over we shall see a lot of outcry from some of us that thought he was a messiah.

Yarima is not the best candidate but he is a good candidate. That was my point from onset.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Aggressa(m): 11:09am On Oct 31, 2006
grin grin grin Belloti, Belloti, Belloti, my dear friend and brother;
Jokes apart, I am respecting you more and more everytime I read your post on this Yerima issue. Respecting you because I am beginning to understand how "faithful and honest" you will be to anybody as an aide, even to the point of dogma; but nevertheless still strongly opposed to your choice of Yerima. Seriously!!
Now to the issues you raised:

Quote from Belloti; Havila, this is what happenned in zamfara. When Yarima started campaigning in 1998, the biggest heavy weight in zamfara politics were in PDP, but he chooses to go for a little unknow ANPP. PDP loaded with money were certain to clinch the seat with a landslide victory when yarima changed his slogan to introduce religious cliche that has always prove to be a soft spot in northern nigeria. He promised to rule the state with the devine laws if elected, he basically transformed himself from a yuppish suave run of the mill guy to a very religious minded polician. He swept the votes against the likes of Gen. Gusau, 3 ex ministers and several ex- ambassadors. When he got to power, the voters sprang up asking him to fulfill his pledge. He was careful enough to constitute a committe headed by the most famous legal luminary from zamfara, Alhaji Usman Dangoggo Bungudu to go round the state and come up with the real mood of the masses. They submitted their report with strong recommendation for a sharia law in a state with 99% muslim population. He passed on the report to to the state Assembly where they voted 100% in support of the Law. If you were Yarima, i don't know what you could have done next.

Response: Regarding your position above: From your informative write-up above, I believe that even you can attest to the fact that Yerima delibrately, smartly but wickedly played 'politics' with the collective intellect of the Zamfara citizens or rather zamfara 'ummahs' with the promise and introduction of Sharia for one reason only; SIMPLY TO WIN!! and not becase he was or is 'a religious minded politician'. "Religion is the opium of the massess" is a common saying. We now know better that he is neither pious or honest, with the EFCC indictment; squandering of millions of naira on construction of "islamic hotel"(an over-infalted contract); in fact you Belloti even stated that "he has not done well, he did what the other state governors too did" (paraphrased). If so, why the bloody hell did he introduce a law that's supposed to promote righteouness in governing and living? In so doing selfishly, almost destabilising the whole nation that he wants to rule now!(God forbid).

(2) Quote from Belloti: As Nigerians, we seem to be expecting too much from the sinners like us who we elected or got themselves in power. those guys are not saints or angels. we don't have them in nigeria now. we can only hope that probably at some stage in our lifetime we begin to apply a winning formular that may have some semblance of success. If you think Duke its better i assure you guys that soon after taking over we shall see a lot of outcry from some of us that thought he was a messiah. Yarima is not the best candidate but he is a good candidate. That was my point from onset.

Response: Now Belloti, this is a statement from somebody who has given up on hope and 'change'. Have you given up on Nigeria,?so that we should stop bothering ourselves on who becomes the leader, even if such person has the mentality of a goat? God forbid, the only constant thing in life is CHANGE. Change only comes when people believe in it and work toward it by refusing to do or keep "things as usual for now", which is what you are suggesting. If we can't expect too much from our supposed leaders, what is the purpose of them leading us?, we can as well hand over the affair of our nation back to the British because wecant find leaders. Belloti, develop hope in Nigeria and work with that hope toward making a change by honestly looking at people pr politicians. A people with no hope should not be alive. Our hope is in a change for Nigeria, but we will not just "hope for success" but work with that hope by making right and truthful decisions. We don't want just 'good candidate', we want the cnadidate that will move the nation forward, definitely that cannot be a 'good' candidate (sounds like settling for a mediocre) but the bravest and the best. I don't know what "overwhelming academic credentials" Yerima has (is it more that the MSc in Economics?) and so what?
Belloti, I have three degrees; one from Nigeria and two from a topmost university in Europe, does that qualify for overwhelming academic credentials?, does it make me a good leader? Definitely NOT!!!, it is what I am able to do with my academic credentials to the benefit of people, that will make me a good leader. So far, Yerima has failed his state and Nigeria with his pseudo-pious religious demure; and his "overwhelming academic credentials" has been utterly useless when tested in the school of leadership. Just like a lot of his co-State "thief-executives".
Over to you, my friend.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by belloti(m): 3:06pm On Oct 31, 2006
Havila, am humbled by your professed respect for me, hoping that its not just a figure of speech. grin cheesy

I also understand that you want me to reply but i got to really be frank with you guys that i also believe that Yarima is not the best candidate. That my candidate is really not the best available is a well known fact to me. My only prayer is that he got the chance to continue to serve this country to the best of his ability. In respect of his political strategy of 1999, i just want to say, he is a politician and politics is not a clean game.

To the popular slogan that has now being music to our ears " Change". I have not lost hope in a positive change one day but i cant specifically pin our hope for the change on a particular individual, neither can i say my yarima is not one of those likely individuals. my point is that somewhere along the line we shall have that change and politicians are always politicians. The change can only come through our collective effort. In the mean time lets play our own part by criticising these guys constructively and proposing a better alternative.

Havila, i wasnt a trained PR guy and i wont want to speak out of tune to bungle his seeming chance but deep inside me i believe so much about the competency of yarima. But i pray for the best leaders for our country come 2007.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Nobody: 8:30pm On Oct 31, 2006
belloti:

In respect of his performance so far. i can't say he has done very well, i would rather say he did exactly what his colleagues did in other states. Very little to show. But that was aided by the size of the constituencies. It was a small illeterate enclave where you can afford to slip off and still get commendation from those you mismanaged. He was a new horn in politics then and practically inexperieced despited his overwhelming academic credentials. But i can tell you he was sincere.And he really did try.

Infact by your own overt insinuation, Yarima did NOTHING for his state for 8 years! What does the size of a constituency have to do with ineptitude? Are you trying to insinuate that Yarima took advantage of the intellectual incompetene of his people to loot the economy and get away with it? If Yarima was a green horn in politics 8 years ago, what qualifies him for the post of presidency now? Are we assuming that he has now gained enough experience to rule the largest black nation on earth?
Which "overwhelming academic credentials" are you talking about? An MSc. in Economics? What about the various professors that have tried and failed to rule this nation because those with "overwhemlming academic credentials" chose to defraud us by rigging the elections?  Is sincerity the sole criteria for determining the president of this nation? What are Yarima's ideals beyond religious piety?

belloti:

As Nigerians, we seem to be expecting too much from the sinners like us who we elected or got themselves in power. those guys are not saints or angels. we don't have them in nigeria now. we can only hope that probably at some stage in our lifetime we begin to apply a winning formular that may have some semblance of success. If you think Duke its better i assure you guys that soon after taking over we shall see a lot of outcry from some of us that thought he was a messiah.
Yarima is not the best candidate but he is a good candidate. That was my point from onset.

So it is too much to expect constant electricity, portable water, first class health and transport services, accountability from those we elect to power? Are the presidents of the US, Ghana, South Africa saints?
Why do you insinuate that we don't have such leaders in Nigeria? What of Awolowo that the north collectively denied access to rule prefering to (s)elect an incompetent grade two teacher? The legacies of Awolowo remain today the reason the south is economically and educationally far ahead of the backward north!
What of Abiola whom your northern generals denied and eventually killed? Has the focus on the presidency been about ideas or geopolitical zones?

You know when it is time to give up on Nigeria when the only ones who can aspire to political office are not necessarily the best candidates but the "good" ones!

Duke may not be the best candidate but based on performance in the last 8 years alone, he is 1000x more qualified for the presidency than that religious zealot from the dusty 12th century streets of Zamfara!

belloti:

but deep inside me i believe so much about the competency of yarima. But i pray for the best leaders for our country come 2007.

Which competency? The one he has shown over the last 8 yrs as governor? Is Zamfara any better than it was when it was first created, an unviable state created mainly as another drain pipe on scarce oil resources from the south?
What has he done in 8 yrs as governor? Does flagrant disregard of the constitution count as competence?
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Odeku(m): 8:33pm On Oct 31, 2006
people keep saying DUKE but he has not said anything about his intention to contest. if he want to rule Nigeria let him tell us please. But he has a long way to go with the Hausa people. Not sure if they will like a young educated boy tell them they can't steal from us any more.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by JosBoy4Lif(m): 9:01pm On Oct 31, 2006
What are Hausa people stealing from you?
I hate it when people make such vague statements that utter nonsense!

Many of you blame the north for all of the mishaps that have happened to Nigeria.
How can you believe this is true? Has there been no corruption in Southern Nigeria?

Oh Wait when southern woman go and do prostitition in Europe its becuase of the North
When many of the Cafe's in major cities in the south are filled with 419 scammers trying to cheat people it is because of the North

When you people say that northers are dumb and illiterate, do you not know that is a fallacy?
Stop spreading propaganda. If we are going to talk, lets be objective in our approaches otherwise our conversations will be rendered useless.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Nobody: 9:16pm On Oct 31, 2006
josboy is that your only contribution to this intellectual discussion?
When a group of people who think Nigeria is their birthright only have ruled by force and mago mago and run the country down the drain you ask such unintelligent questions.
You just had to throw in the prostitution thingy,are there no prostitutes in the north even under hijabs and burquas?

Northerners have ruined Nigeria.
And yes they are dumb generally speaking,look at Nigeria where they'll replace a southerner with a half baked Northerner who went to Kaduna poly with 4 credits in school cert.

Don't get me started,I went to an FGGC were we had northern girls that could not speak,read or write English yet they were all on state scholarships from our same Nigeria,how did they pass the national common entrance?
Quota system huh?
would you like your heart surgeon to be a quota doctor who achieved 40% pass mark but had to be graduated because Sokoto needs doctors.
No Southerner should ever let any Northerners rule Nigeria in a long while.
We must correct the stench they've pulled us into.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by beeatl(f): 9:27pm On Oct 31, 2006
Dear Mr Belloti,i am really interested in knowing wat ur yardstick for measuring the "most peaceful state in Nigeria" is.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Nobody: 9:31pm On Oct 31, 2006
We are talking of Northerners who would make a Northern nurse a Chief Medical officer in a hospital when there are medical doctors with years of experience, their only disqualification being that they are southerners.
My fiancee was on a trip a few years ago to a  specialist hospital in Sokoto,the director was one clueless alhaji neither a nurse nor a doctor but some clown with a health mgt degree from who knows where who was supposed to make decisions he knew nothing of.
The 3  guys there who managed the everyday running of the place rightly belonged in that position but I guess not,they are southerners.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by JosBoy4Lif(m): 9:34pm On Oct 31, 2006
You call this an intellectual discussion, by you people bashing an ethnicity? lipsrsealed  One that has served Nigeria Faithfully and obediantly
As per Birthright, is it not every citizens birthright to be a proud Nigerian?

Have you ever been to Ahmadu Bello University. That schools has the most impressive literature program in Nigeria.
Again you not speaking of facts when you say that generally speaking Northerners are dumb.
Most of the prostitutes in North funny are southern girls

The occupational work in the north is far different from that in the south.
But does that mean that a Farmer has no skills because he is not valued by narrow-minded individuals like yourself?
Or better yet are southern fisherman more intelligient than norther farmers.

You say that Northerners have ruined Nigeria. What did OBJ do for Nigeria during his first regime? What has he done now?
Badangida saww that infested Lagos was getting too dirty so he located it to Abuja. Wisest desicion ever becuase we are actually seeing a forced distribution of oppurtunites now.

Are you mad because Oil is being refined in Kaduna or Kano? Thats good stay mad because even amongst southerners you bicker about one state getting more allotment than another state.
Greed as I know lies way more heavily in the south, thereby corruption is way more condensed in the South then in the North of Nigeria. You know and i know it.

Why is it that the only two leaders in Nigerian History who were not corrupt were from the North (Murtala Mohammed and Buhari)?
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Nobody: 9:40pm On Oct 31, 2006
JosBoy4Lif:

You call this an intellectual discussion, by you people bashing an ethnicity? lipsrsealed One that has served Nigeria Faithfully and obediantly
As per Birthright, is it not every citizens birthright to be a proud Nigerian?

Have you ever been to Ahmadu Bello University. That schools has the most impressive literature program in Nigeria.
Again you not speaking of facts when you say that generally speaking Northerners are dumb.
Most of the prostitutes in North funny are southern girls

The occupational work in the north is far different from that in the south.
But does that mean that a Farmer has no skills because he is not valued by narrow-minded individuals like yourself?
Or better yet are southern fisherman more intelligient than norther farmers.

You say that Northerners have ruined Nigeria. What did OBJ do for Nigeria during his first regime? What has he done now?
Badangida saww that infested Lagos was getting too dirty so he located it to Abuja. Wisest desicion ever becuase we are actually seeing a forced distribution of oppurtunites now.

Are you mad because Oil is being refined in Kaduna or Kano? Thats good stay mad because even amongst southerners you bicker about one state getting more allotment than another state.
Greed as I know lies way more heavily in the south, thereby corruption is way more condensed in the South then in the North of Nigeria. You know and i know it.

Why is it that the only two leaders in Nigerian History who were not corrupt were from the North (Murtala Muhammad and Buhari)?

And how long did the same dumb northerners let those 2 illiterate soldiers stay on.
Do you expect Obasanjo to correct what your brethren put us in so soon.
He has had 8 years,how many years did it take the dumb northerners to put us in this mess.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by JosBoy4Lif(m): 9:48pm On Oct 31, 2006
You did not answer my question rather you deviated from them
How do you think Obasanjo has amassed such riches.  Stop undermining the truth that Nigeria's problem is widespread thing

The problem does not just lie in the North, nor does it just lie in the South.
You can be as defencive as you want untill you are blue in the face, but Nigeria's corruption problem can not be fixed untill we work as a hollistic unit.
Once we can start working as a synergy, we will succeed, because i trully believe Nigerians are one of the smartest people in the World.

Are you ready to hold hands with your Hausa bretheren and work to fix Ngeria?
Or will you continue to insult your brother, because he is different from you, and thinks differently from you?
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by JosBoy4Lif(m): 9:48pm On Oct 31, 2006
Big B1:

Is Nairaland site or forum a Nigerian Federal Government snare?

Are you being monitored secretly?

Are you being used?

Is Nairaland site or forum truly represents a freedom of speech or represents another spurious Nigerian site?

Please dont be so vague in your commentary,
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Nobody: 9:51pm On Oct 31, 2006
I see someone who has babangida as a hero.
So Abuja is such a great achievement in a country were northern kids still die of polio daily because the illiterate imams advise them against vaccination.
Vaccination would make the kids sterile the bufoons say and they need to populate and boost the northern ratio.

You have your priorities misplaced,NO NORTHERNER HAS SERVED NIGERIA.
All they've done is steal from it and kill the citizens that dared speak up.

If Awolowo was alive today,he would have regretted that he did not keep to the plan and secced while the Igbos were fighting for that.
You northerners would have been smooching with Chad and Niger republic, and milking your cows drinking fura de nunu.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Nobody: 9:56pm On Oct 31, 2006
josboy,the North and south do not belong together.
The amalgamation was a big mistake.

Southerners are progressive people,northerners only want to milk the country dry and contribute nothing intellectually.
We do not belong together at all.
It has not worked has it?
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Nobody: 9:57pm On Oct 31, 2006
what was your Q?
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by JosBoy4Lif(m): 10:06pm On Oct 31, 2006
You claim that southerners get mistreated in the north.
So in the South  Northerner get what? Preferential treatment?
You point on that ground has absolutely no bearing.

I don't know how you can think that one ethnic group is more intellectually superior than another.
But this should not be a suprise as even amongst ethnic groups in the south there is bias beliefs about eachother

Your gross subjective thinking is one of the many reasons that Nigeria will have difficult changing.
I just hope that the younger generations are not polluted with this mindstate.

Again like I said once we see all Nigerians as equals we will be able to rid our country of corruption.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 31, 2006
JosBoy4Lif:

You claim that southerners get mistreated in the north.
So in the South  Northerner get what? Preferential treatment?
You point on that ground has absolutely no bearing.

I don't know how you can think that one ethnic group is more intellectually superior than another.
But this should not be a suprise as even amongst ethnic groups in the south there is bias beliefs about eachother

Your gross subjective thinking is one of the many reasons that Nigeria will have difficult changing.
I just hope that the younger generations are not polluted with this mindstate.

Again like I said once we see all Nigerians as equals we will be able to rid our country of corruption.

No they get no preferential treatment except in federal ministries,why should they?
They should be able to prove themselves like other Nigerians and not wait to be spoon fed all the time.

where were they when others were going to school?

Southerners lose jobs in the north all the time and even when they get the so called jobs,they are quickly booted off when a northerner freshly graduates from some university.
Re: Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate by Nobody: 11:37pm On Oct 31, 2006
And if you are from Plateau state,nothing I've said applies to you.
Plateau indigenes (perhaps due to Christianity) are miles ahead of the others.They are not hausa either.

Benue and plateau folks(especially the Christians) are not in the same pot as the dumb northerners I mention.
In my high school,most of the northern girls either got pregnant or dropped out of school.
Some we heard were even married.

With the exception of the Christian Northerners,most did not even take JAMB.
The unity schools were a microcosm of Nigeria.
There I saw with my own eyes what Northern Nigeria is really all about.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari, Tinubu Move To Revive Alliance Between AC & CPC / Nigerian Embassy In Berlin Attacked / Koye Olu Ibukun The ECOWAS DIPLOMAT Who Moved Ebola To Port Harcourt Photo!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.