Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,082 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:49 AM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (6968) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (10846956 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6965) (6966) (6967) (6968) (6969) (6970) (6971) ... (7740) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by yeddy99: 4:32pm On May 06, 2023
essentialone:
Beware of those who after making a stock Recommendation, then tells you to do your Due Diligence also. In this market where people stake in their livelihood, one should make no recommendations if not certain of the fundamentals of the stock.
Even with the most solid and unshakeable fundamentals, nothing is certain. A recommendation is just what a person thinks will happen under certain conditions. It is not absolute hence the caveat.

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by rahjan: 11:57pm On May 06, 2023
essentialone:
Beware of those who after making a stock Recommendation, then tells you to do your Due Diligence also. In this market where people stake in their livelihood, one should make no recommendations if not certain of the fundamentals of the stock.
Asking for due diligence is an invitation to go and look at the company yourself and see if you'll arrive at the same conclusion before you put in your money. Nothing wrong in that. What'll be greater is after reviewing the company, you come back to the forum with your own opinion for or against investing in the stock. That'll make the conversation on this forum to be more robust.

14 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by yinkaoke(f): 7:30am On May 07, 2023
Have you heard of the 2years bond with
l just forgot the name sha, but saw it on that twitter handle @okemakinde2003
There are good investments only access to information that matters

26% that one beat inflation oh or am l missing something
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 8:28am On May 07, 2023
yinkaoke:

26% in Nigeria? Are you sure Lol
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:54am On May 07, 2023
yinkaoke:

I respectfully disagree with you, you can get that going forward with some stocks considering their current prices, dividend yield and sustainable growth rate but not with any fixed income investment I know of
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by otomatic(m): 9:27am On May 07, 2023
Default risk at 26%

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Afromentalist: 9:49am On May 07, 2023
One topic I rarely see here is outperformance. We all know stock rise and fall, we win some and lose some.

It would be interesting to have participants in these here climes to analyse their portfolio history and see if and how long they have been able to beat the Nigerian market (NSE).

This is not to recommend passive investing ( I myself am an active investor). Just for the fun of analysis and see what strategy work better.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 10:34am On May 07, 2023
Afromentalist:
One topic I rarely see here is outperformance. We all know stock rise and fall, we win some and lose some.

It would be interesting to have participants in these here climes to analyse their portfolio history and see if and how long they have been able to beat the Nigerian market (NSE).

This is not to recommend passive investing ( I myself am an active investor). Just for the fun of analysis and see what strategy work better.

We no dey talk outperforming here Lol. That's too low a target.
Our language is in baggers
1, 2, 3 ... Baggers

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 10:44am On May 07, 2023
Agbalowomeri:

1, 2, 3 ... Baggers

What stocks did you bag last year and percentage, make we newbies dey get moral.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Afromentalist: 11:44am On May 07, 2023
Agbalowomeri:

1, 2, 3 ... Baggers
That's good. Can you tell us the performance of your portfolio in baggers over a significant amount of time.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 11:49am On May 07, 2023
Afromentalist:

That's good. Can you tell us the performance of your portfolio in baggers over a significant amount of time.

When I reach Warren Buffet level I go tell you grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by customstreet: 11:50am On May 07, 2023
essentialone:

My brother, it is a convention in investment research analysis and recommendation all over the world.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by machine606: 1:04pm On May 07, 2023
yMcy56:

Pls note that Lead Capital may be excellent in other aspect of investment o, but as for brokerage, not too good in my opinion.

If going with STANBIC, then consder and compare the fees. You fit no do JIJO anyhow there...in my opinion.

Ogechi has been very up and doing at GTL/Mytradebook. Customer response good too.....but site response can be slow during downtime.
Lol. I've been with Mytradebook for quite some yrs and I know this. smiley
Chaka/Citi investment Capital is even lesser than this.
From the look of this do far. I think (to the best of my knowledge) that Morgan and Chaka are the least charging brokers. Although i might Morgan service are better. I have used Morgan. But been in Chaka since 2019. I ran from investment one because of charges. We way dey trade in afolabi units loves lower charges. By the way, oga Peter I saw your dividend post. BP want catch me. Lol. It's inspiring too.
Oga Robbo, so you dey eye that oga GT for #9, Imagine. You go Sabi price for local market oh pass Peter Obi.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 1:36pm On May 07, 2023
With this, there's a near 1 probability that petrol subsidy will be removed either in June, 2023 or a few months down the line.
Perhaps, the pump price of fuel could hover above N500/Ltr then.
Surely, there will be winners and losers from this.
A few sectors on my mind! wink cheesy cool

It is well

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 2:49pm On May 07, 2023
machine606:

Chaka/Citi investment Capital is even lesser than this.
From the look of this do far. I think (to the best of my knowledge) that Morgan and Chaka are the least charging brokers. Although i might Morgan service are better. I have used Morgan. But been in Chaka since 2019. I ran from investment one because of charges. We way dey trade in afolabi units loves lower charges. By the way, oga Peter I saw your dividend post. BP want catch me. Lol. It's inspiring too.
Oga Robbo, so you dey eye that oga GT for #9, Imagine. You go Sabi price for local market oh pass Peter Obi.

The simple question we should be asking ourselves is : how does CBN store her foreign reserves in US banks? Cash? or it is invested in US treasuries?

How do Local banks store their foreign reserves in corresponding foreign banks? Cash or it is invested in US treasuries?

Many banks will invest in the "risk-free" instrument of US or EU treasuries as at 2020 and 2021. And in 2022, there was a huge decline in these treasury prices and automatically causing any financial institution to take losses on these supposedly risk free foreign reserves.

Were these factored into their P/L accounts like the type we see in many US banks that have collapsed as a result of the bond losses which many EM banks have their foreign exchange reserves invested in.

On this note, financial institution doesn't seem investable for me for now because there are lots of issues that are unresolved in the country where their foreign reserves are invested. If the US and EU banks are taking severe losses, how about our banks and central bank that invested in the same instrument? This goes for all EMs financial institutions.

When GTB declines to such low price, then imagine where other tier 2 banks could get to. It will be kobo kobo galore.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by comatekeke: 4:44pm On May 07, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

I respectfully disagree with you, you can get that going forward with some stocks considering their current prices, dividend yield and sustainable growth rate but not with any fixed income investment I know of
What stocks can give 26% ROI?
Thanks in advance.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mpeace(m): 4:52pm On May 07, 2023
onegentleguy:
With this, there's a near 1 probability that petrol subsidy will be removed either in June, 2023 or a few months down the line.
Perhaps, the pump price of fuel could hover above N500/Ltr then.
Surely, there will be winners and losers from this.
A few sectors on my mind! wink cheesy cool

It is well
I pray they commence operations upon commissioning.
If there is anything I have learnt from this administration, It is the fact that there is a differences between commissioning and commencement of operations.
I have read somewhere that the refinery has like a year or two to completion

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 5:12pm On May 07, 2023
RabbiDoracle:

The simple question we should be asking ourselves is : how does CBN store her foreign reserves in US banks? Cash? or it is invested in US treasuries?

How do Local banks store their foreign reserves in corresponding foreign banks? Cash or it is invested in US treasuries?

Many banks will invest in the "risk-free" instrument of US or EU treasuries as at 2020 and 2021. And in 2022, there was a huge decline in these treasury prices and automatically causing any financial institution to take losses on these supposedly risk free foreign reserves.

Were these factored into their P/L accounts like the type we see in many US banks that have collapsed as a result of the bond losses which many EM banks have their foreign exchange reserves invested in.

On this note, financial institution doesn't seem investable for me for now because there are lots of issues that are unresolved in the country where their foreign reserves are invested. If the US and EU banks are taking severe losses, how about our banks and central bank that invested in the same instrument? This goes for all EMs financial institutions.

When GTB declines to such low price, then imagine where other tier 2 banks could get to. It will be kobo kobo galore.

Unlike what transpired with Ghanaian bonds, which had bonds swapped for a lower face value and lower annual coupon rate, the US bonds have only been repriced on the secondary market due to interest rate hike.

Therefore, investors can remain unaffected if they hold onto the bonds until maturity or until interest rates return to normal. The question is whether banks can operate without dipping into their bond reserves.

Also, we are assuming that the reserves are in the form of bonds rather than cash.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 5:26pm On May 07, 2023
comatekeke:

Thanks in advance.

Stocks can yield good returns if proper research is done.

For example, I bought GTCO shares last October at 17 naira per share, and currently, the share has gained 41% since then. I am due for a dividend on Thursday, which amounts to 14.8% of my investment, resulting in a total ROI of 56.8%.

I am not saying that investing in stocks is easy or without risks, but with diligent research (here and beyond) and some luck, a regular 26% return is achievable.

By the way, I am planning to sell my GTCO shares tomorrow since it no longer holds a priority on my stock screener.

He go well.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 5:58pm On May 07, 2023
Afromentalist:

When you say 'beat the Nigerian market' I assume you're referring to beating benchmarks like NSE30, ASI, and a couple of others. I usually read about people claiming that their trading system performs better than the S&P 500 on Reddit. I think I will be paying closer attention to our indices and their performance from now on.

There aren't many stocks on the NGX that trend in the mid to long term, as most of them just move sideways. To outperform these stocks, you need to identify their low and maximum points, queue at the low, reap at the peak, pray the circle continues, rinse and repeat. embarassed

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Frangel: 6:00pm On May 07, 2023
I would guess most (if not all) our commercial banks will hold mainly cash balances. I see they do derivatives. Bulk of their earnings are within Nigeria though. However, those with treasuries would need made provisions, just as with the Ghana debt crisis. I don't see replication of the UStreasury-induced crisis affecting banks in Nigeria.

For CBN, I can't guess. But our reserves are thin and fluctuate rapidly to think anything substantial would be invested in US treasuries; or where invested, not held to maturity.

RabbiDoracle:

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Stan2330(m): 6:07pm On May 07, 2023
ositadima1:

Stocks can yield good returns if proper research is done.

For example, I bought GTCO shares last October at 17 naira per share, and currently, the share has gained 41% since then. I am due for a dividend on Thursday, which amounts to 14.8% of my investment, resulting in a total ROI of 56.8%.

I am not saying that investing in stocks is easy or without risks, but with diligent research (here and beyond) and some luck, a regular 26% return is achievable.

By the way, I am planning to sell my GTCO shares tomorrow since it no longer holds a priority on my stock screener.

He go well.
What is involved in diligent research
What do u consider?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Abdul4trust1(m): 6:17pm On May 07, 2023
Good evening everyone.

Please, is there any app for trading shares in Nigeria?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 6:33pm On May 07, 2023
Stan2330:

What is involved in diligent research
What do u consider?

What is involved in diligent research is a loaded question because there are several ways to appraise a stock, some more favored than others. I am not going to go in-depth, but here are a few that I know of:

*You can find good information on this thread, but be aware of the "monkey hunters."

*Fundamentals are important, and you need to go through the company's financial results to extract a few lines that can help you estimate fair value, as well as looking at the economy in general.

*Technically, here you should be more interested in the chart and what it tells you.

*Statistics are also helpful, and you can apply some basic statistics to the numbers to see if you can discover patterns.

In essence, you should invest some time in learning how to value stocks before investing in them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 6:39pm On May 07, 2023
Abdul4trust1:
Good evening everyone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rmeideas.yochaa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmasoft(m): 6:44pm On May 07, 2023
Abdul4trust1:
Good evening everyone.

Of course, there are apps. First, you need to open a stockbroking account with a stockbroker and get your CSCS account and CHN
Then you can download d app powered by the stockbroking firm.

You can open an account with investment one stockbroking firm. Then you can now download the app called ziing for trading.
You can as well use the web for trading.

Click the last link on my signature to open an account or chat me up for clarifications if needed

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by GreatEko: 8:35pm On May 07, 2023
RabbiDoracle:

Frangel:
I would guess most (if not all) our commercial banks will hold mainly cash balances. I see they do derivatives. Bulk of their earnings are within Nigeria though. However, those with treasuries would need made provisions, just as with the Ghana debt crisis. I don't see replication of the UStreasury-induced crisis affecting banks in Nigeria.

For CBN, I can't guess. But our reserves are thin and fluctuate rapidly to think anything substantial would be invested in US treasuries; or where invested, not held to maturity.

I just studied the annual reports of foreign central banks. I observed they hold their large reserves in Gold and the rest in major foreign currencies.

I am yet to find a good reason why our own CBN is hiding their reports.

That could have shed light on the composition of our reserves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Pennystockwarri: 10:55pm On May 07, 2023
Here's a rundown of what happened in the Nigerian stock market last week and what to expect this week.

https://twitter.com/quansimodo/status/1655316173892747264?t=v48wAqYs-0zSw1jWY8DcLg&s=19

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:19am On May 08, 2023
comatekeke:

Thanks in advance.

Calculate the normalized EPS based on the average return on equity in the last 5 years, get the annualized growth rate of the equity in the last 5 years discount it by 35% and then use it as the growth of the EPS.

Use the growth rate to forecast the normalized EPS for the next 10 years and multiply it by the justified PE which is 8.5 plus 0.65g. G being the growth rate. Maximum justified PE ratio is 15.

When you multiply the 10 year projected normalized EPS with the justified PE ratio you will get the forecasted value of stock.

Then add up the projected dividends for the next 10 years to the forecasted value of the stock.

Use your calculator to get the compounded annualized growth rate of the stock based on its current price and the summation of the projected value of the stock and the total dividends to be earned.

To determine the price you should pay for the stock, multiply the figure by 0.25 which means you need a minimum required return of 15%.

It is important for the stock to have a return on equity and ROIC of 15% and above, manageable debt and good management, and have be profitable for at least 8 years in the last 10 years. Organic compounded annualized growth of equity in the last 5 years should be 10% and above

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 5:59am On May 08, 2023
After 7 years of drought cometh 7 years of plenty
Tell your kinsmen the soup is done
The price of bread you see this year
You shall see no more
Higher higher higher

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:46am On May 08, 2023
Agbalowomeri:
After 7 years of drought cometh 7 years of plenty
Tell your kinsmen the soup is done
The price of bread you see this year
You shall see no more
Higher higher higher

This one na parable, please come down to our level .

I am actually going to get a loan in the first week of June to key into some names.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Olaide1295: 8:49am On May 08, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

This one na parable, please come down to our level .

I am actually going to get a loan in the first week of June to key into some names.

What names are you looking at?
Give examples Sensei.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6965) (6966) (6967) (6968) (6969) (6970) (6971) ... (7740) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: FreeStuffsNG, emmaodet, Adinije(f), ololufemi, Alaadin(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.