Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:05 PM

Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism - Religion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism (13577 Views)

Logicboy's Successes And Failures On Nairaland! / Logicboy Meets Anony (epic) / In Defence Of Logicboy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by truthislight: 3:17pm On Jan 09, 2013
Seun:

Jesus, his disciples, and early Christians lived in a world where slavery was commonly practiced, and yet it never occurred to them to condemn slave ownership anywhere in the Bible. They even allowed slave owners to join the church without being required to free their slaves. How can you claim that biblical morality is superior in light of this fact?

less i reply you out of context, can you Pls, post the the exact portion you are referencing to and lets see?
Peace.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by truthislight: 3:21pm On Jan 09, 2013
Logicboy03:

Why do christians like to redefine things? Soon Goshen and Truthislight will redefine "slavery" to "paid servitude".

We are to believe that working conditions in biblical times (before the dark ages) were humane with beating and marking your slaves allowed?

I am tired of the lies

are there scriptures that give commandment to christians to take force labour?

Please, can i see them?
Thank you.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 09, 2013
truthislight:

are scriptures that give commandment to christians to take force labour?

Please, can i see them?
Hank you.

Leviticus 25:44
"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

Exodus 21:20-21
20 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property

1 Peter 2:18
"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh."

1 Like

Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 3:56pm On Jan 09, 2013
musKeeto: What's this guy saying? Is being saved all there is to Christianity?

Are there rewards for being a Christian? Will Jesus reward for your works? Yes, He will.. End of story..
It doesn't matter if you feel like you're doing some kind of charity for God cause He loves you and has given you grace to do so. Fact of the matter is at the end, you'll be rewarded for your works..
You are still missing the mark. You are reducing a relationship with christ to a business transaction. That is the wrong way to go about it. For instance: Will your wife have sex with you if you are nice to her? Yes she will but that doesn't mean that the aim of being nice to your wife is so that she can have sex with you. Do you know what it means to love?

Question: Are a Christian's good 'works/deeds' acceptable to Christ? What about an unbeliever/atheist?
If no to question 2, why?
If a person declares his/her hatred for God and refuses to have anything to do with Him, why should God force the person into His presence against the person's will?

So God's Nature makes him crave worship? How interesting...
What??!
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 4:07pm On Jan 09, 2013
Seun:
You're trying to distract us from the main point - that the bible does not condemn the practice of slavery - by posting irrelevant stories. If the moral standard of the bible is so high, how come slave-keeping, which was widely practiced in biblical times, is never recognized as an unacceptable evil in the bible? Why is it that God intends to cast liars into the lake that burneth with fire and brimestone, but has no such plan for people who buy, sell and own other human beings? How can a book be held as the ultimate moral standard of the universe when it tolerates and fails to condemn the deplorable and unacceptable practice of slavery, which no sane human being alive today would condone or tolerate?
Actually this is me taking the main point head on. The letter I asked you to judge is more or less the entire book of Philemon in the bible which is the clearest we see of the issue of slavery in the early church.
I want you to evaluate the letter in all honesty. It will help you understand what the bible is saying.

I am going through this trouble because I don't want to just throw verses at you or give you a soundbite. I want us to critically examine what the bible says about slavery. If you are interested in proper study, then I await your reply but if you aren't.......well that's just too bad.

1 Like

Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by truthislight: 4:17pm On Jan 09, 2013
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jan 09, 2013
Mr_Anony:
You are still missing the mark. You are reducing a relationship with christ to a business transaction. That is the wrong way to go about it. For instance: Will your wife have sex with you if you are nice to her? Yes she will but that doesn't mean that the aim of being nice to your wife is so that she can have sex with you. Do you know what it means to love?
I doubt you know what it means to love. Does love come with responsibilities?

Mr_Anony:
If a person declares his/her hatred for God and refuses to have anything to do with Him, why should God force the person into His presence against the person's will?
There's a reason I used unbeliever, but of course you had to skip that. Would a devout Muslim(tbaba for example) have his good deeds/works accepted by your God?

Mr_Anony:
What??!

What what?
Earlier..
Mr_Anony:
God loves us not because we merit it or because we deserve it in any way but because of His nature.

It wasn't His nature. It was just His wish.

Don't just say to each other, 'We're safe, for we are descendants of Abraham.' That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones.

The earlier you realize you represent a Dictator, the easier it would be for you to understand the OT, the NT, and the anti-Christian position.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jan 09, 2013
truthislight: ..................

5 facts for Truthislight

1) All older bibles use the words "slaves" for the 3 verses I wrote.

2) There is no where in the bible that states that the definition of slaves changed within christianity. That is a baseless claim

3) The old testament is part of christianity

4) How can you claim that your "good" God was involved in a winner take all" battle? where slaves and virgins were taken after genocides? S

5) The old testament is God's word. God commanded his people to take slaves whether you like it or not. That is not a good God.

1 Like

Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by truthislight: 4:37pm On Jan 09, 2013
Logicboy03:

Leviticus 25:44
"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

Exodus 21:20-21
20 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property

it is as though you did not get my gist with @seun.

I had told seun that in the OT it was a battle between Yahweh and other gods and as such it was "the winner takes all".

That my argument is NT the context and use of the word slave should not be taken out of context since slave/servant means different things from the secular use of the word "slave" in today's World.

So, please, limit your quotes to the NT.

And, slow down. Lol.

Logicboy03:
1 Peter 2:18
"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh."
^^^
are this the commandments to christians to take slaves?

this is what i having been saying that the context of the NT and the use of the word slave is completely different.

Maybe that scripture should have red civil servant for you to understand what the instruction was for.

Most people those days were traders and craft men and any that works under the other for the purpose of payment were all classified as slave/servants, that in the NT.

The instructions there is a directive to those doing a job under a master to be an exemplary worker in conduct as not to bring reproach to the faith and such good conduct will bring a positive report concerning the christian way and if possible attract the master to become a christian which at the end will serve the end result of the christian faith.

Christianity has a purpose which i doubt you know.

But christian have the command to preach to all sort of men in both words and conduct and help them come to christ.

Meanwhile, if the individual were not workmen but slave owing to force labour, how does that translate that there master was a christian?

Were the christians supposed to maltreat others under him and remain as christians? No.

If this slave were under force labour, how come they have the liberty to become christian and have this much freedom to associate? .

Do people on chains and force labour have such privileges? No.

That they can decide to follow the christian faith which their master was not shows that they were not on chains and free to work and not under your conventional definition of "slavery" as i had said.

Meanwhile, read from kingjames version below. :

"Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward." (1 Peter 2:18).

That ^^^ was a simple advise to employees under someone on how christians are to behave under employment as not to bring reproach to the name of christianity.

The target of christianity was also geared toward converting their master also, and to that end, instructions were given to ensure that the purpose of christianity that will accomodate all sort of men and not to create disharmony.

Peac
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jan 09, 2013
Employees in the bible? Slave was redefined in the new testament? The bible doesnt support slavery?

When did the bible get so modern?

You christians make me sick sometimes. Your bold lies and remixing for the bible only makes you guys look more and more immoral.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by truthislight: 5:29pm On Jan 09, 2013
Logicboy03:

5 facts for Truthislight

1) All older bibles use the words "slaves" for the 3 verses I wrote.

2) There is no where in the bible that states that the definition of slaves changed within christianity. That is a baseless claim

3) The old testament is part of christianity

4) How can you claim that your "good" God was involved in a winner take all" battle? where slaves and virgins were taken after genocides? S

5) The old testament is God's word. God commanded his people to take slaves whether you like it or not. That is not a good God.

i belief i have already addressed your concerns.

However, this:

Logicboy03:
4) How can you claim that your "good" God was involved in a winner take all" battle? where slaves and virgins were taken after

it is either you are short of the facts or you are deliberately being deceitful.

But if you dont have the facts how then can you make an informed argument?

If you had red your bible well when you were a christian you will have known some facts about what happened in the OT. (go and read your bible again well this time around)

The Nation of Israel on leaving egypt after their slavery there, where on their way to the promised land with women, children, and domestic animals for their journey.

But, from no where and without provocation for no offence of any kind against them, the Amalikite attacked the sons of Israel, killing innocent children, woman, and unarmed men that had never fouth war befor and plundered their livestock sending the whole throngs scattering in the wilderness/desert.(why not read the story yourself and learn?).

Then Yahweh the God of the Israelites vowed to pay back Amalikite back in their own coins which he did when he sent Saul the first king of Israel to go and devote them to destruction.

Though Saul disobeyed came back with livestock and their king instead of destroying every every that caused Yahweh to get angry with Saul and rejected him.

I hope you know this words, "to obey is better than sacrifice"? Yes, that was the reason for that statement.

To cut a long story short, my God Yahweh the creator of the univers is a God of Justice, that you lack this basic understanding of what had happened and pass on ignorant Judgement is not my making but your folly.

I advice you to read the bible a second time, and properly this time.

You fail to see how the god of the Amalikite(satan) sent his Worshpers to destroy the people of Yahweh from were he had plan to send the massaiah Jesus christ as to prevent the coming of Jesus.

That Yahweh is a honest God and wrote down the history as it had happened while you are ignorant of the parts satan played is not a reason for you to think one sided.

I know what happened and that is why i am everly greatful to Yahweh for taking all necessary action to ensure that the massaiah came and reconciled man.

Learn the facts befor you miss out.

As for the rest of what you said up there, it is a function of your limitation.
Peace
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by truthislight: 5:45pm On Jan 09, 2013
Logicboy03: Employees in the bible? Slave was redefined in the new testament? The bible doesnt support slavery?

When did the bible get so modern?

You christians make me sick sometimes. Your bold lies and remixing for the bible only makes you guys look more and more immoral.

thank you!

If that was meant to be a compliment that is.

Lol.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by jayriginal: 6:58pm On Jan 09, 2013
mazaje:

Anony is just lying when he says he was an atheist and I am VERY serious about that. . .His atheism was all about having ideas like rapingg women and feeling no guilt, not been responsible and not accountable for anything because only him mattered to him self etc. . .I was reading a post on psychology today. . . a study was conducted and it showed that in the broad strokes, ideology makes very little difference in the moral decisions most people make. . .People mostly go with their instincts in most cases. . .If his story is true which it is not, then he is just a depraved individual. . .

Reading that thread was utterly disgusting. I remember how he would tell me I dont know what love is. Repulsive. Note the bolded. Thanks to M Nwankwo by the way. I didnt agree entirely with his rebuttal but at least he resonated somewhat.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by jayriginal: 7:04pm On Jan 09, 2013
Purist: For Anony, atheism was virtually all about bashing Christians and asking annoying questions, à la Socrates' method (curious that he paints his "atheism" with a notoriously common stereotype). Dude even went as far as attending Christian fellowships just to bash people. Amazing!

For Anony, choosing to respect an individual's religious belief somehow translated to indirectly acknowledging the same God he claimed didn't exist. Wonderful logic. It is no wonder then that, as a supposed atheist who supposedly was fond of asking questions, he found LaVeyan Satanism appealing.

I also wonder why after reading 'Ivan The Fool', all he 'saw' thereafter was Christ. Why does something tell me that a former Zoroastrian would equally have 'seen' Zoroaster, and a former Islamist would very well have 'seen' Mohammed?

For me, I wouldn't go as far as to say that Anony was never a true atheist, as I'd be quite guilty of committing the No True Scotsman fallacy. My opinion, however, is that Anony was just a young (possibly aggressive) dickhead and an absolute douchebag who was battling within himself with the exuberance of youth, as evidenced by:

(a) his constant eagerness to go all the way to people's worship center to bash them such that he had turned them into his 'victims', and
(b) his eventual adherence to something as ridiculously sick as LaVeyan Satanism

The young Anony eventually found more solace in his abandoned religion, as it was the only thing that could reasonably afford him the luxury of forgiveness and by extension, riddance of guilt whenever he acted out the sick thoughts that dominated his mind. It is therefore not much surprise that he firmly associates atheism (which happened to coincide with this wanton period of his life) with all manner of ills (murder, rape, stealing, etc). Gentlemen, all Anony sought while supposedly being an atheist was simply something to rationalize his deeds, to make him feel good, no matter what he did, no matter how twisted. All of these, he now finds in Christianity.

Praise the Lord!

Note your bolded bro. No one should say he wasnt a true atheist but the flip side is as Mazaje said: depravity.

Its common for one to hear that atheists seek to escape from morality. Anyone who does that is a beast. Atheist or not. An atheist is an atheist, good, bad or mad.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jan 09, 2013
jayriginal:

Note your bolded bro. No one should say he wasnt a true atheist but the flip side is as Mazaje said: depravity.

Its common for one to hear that atheists seek to escape from morality. Anyone who does that is a beast. Atheist or not. An atheist is an atheist, good, bad or mad.

There is no such thing as a true athiest. You are either an atheist or not. Anony was not an atheist.

He lied to score points.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 8:14pm On Jan 09, 2013
musKeeto:
I doubt you know what it means to love. Does love come with responsibilities?
Yes it does. I believe that as a husband, you have certain responsibilities to your wife as your wife does to you.

There's a reason I used unbeliever, but of course you had to skip that. Would a devout Muslim(tbaba for example) have his good deeds/works accepted by your God?
As I have said before, it is not good works that save. tbaba's good works won't save him just as my good works won't save me. It is Jesus Christ who saves.

What what?
Earlier..

It wasn't His nature. It was just His wish.

The earlier you realize you represent a Dictator, the easier it would be for you to understand the OT, the NT, and the anti-Christian position.
Whenever you create your own universe, feel free to play dictator in it.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Seun(m): 5:10am On Jan 10, 2013
truthislight: less i reply you out of context, can you Pls, post the the exact portion you are referencing to and lets see? Peace.
I'm referencing the entire bible from Genesis to Revelation. Throughout the entire bible, slave-keeping is never condemned as a sin.

Mr_Anony: I want us to critically examine what the bible says about slavery. If you are interested in proper study, then I await your reply but if you aren't.......well that's just too bad
Actually, I think we should dwell on what the bible does not say about slavery. The bible does not say it is a sin to own or trade slaves.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Goshen360(m): 5:43am On Jan 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

The older bibles (15 of them) use "servant" in that verse.

You were caught preaching falseness.

Just keep quiet

You see the reason why I don't like arguing with you. When you're shown one thing; you turn your eyes off as if you don't see all because you're heart hardened to know the truth. I can show you many translations that says the same thing about the word 'slave' even though I have shown you three translations that translated 'slave' while some did translate 'servant'. What more are you asking for?. There're two definitions to slave - you should know that by know and stop to narrow down the definition all because you want to discredit the Holy Bible.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 10:17am On Jan 10, 2013
Logicboy03:
If your whole religion is from a fallible human reasoning, then there is no divine! No divine laws and no objective morality. No God.

Except your reasoning is infallible. You can't paint human reasoning fallible when you feel like it. In any case, morality is objective in the sense that there is good and evil.

Logicboy03: Read my previous comments on morality and our natural instincts for survival.

And I've told you that that logic fails because many conducts valued as moral are fatalistic. I've emphasized that there are morals which transcend survival instincts. Yet you play deaf.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 10, 2013
Goshen360:

You see the reason why I don't like arguing with you. When you're shown one thing; you turn your eyes off as if you don't see all because you're heart hardened to know the truth. I can show you many translations that says the same thing about the word 'slave' even though I have shown you three translations that translated 'slave' while some did translate 'servant'. What more are you asking for?. There're two definitions to slave - you should know that by know and stop to narrow down the definition all because you want to discredit the Holy Bible.

You and Joagbaje are not different after all. You claim that there are definitions in the bible which are not in the bible eg (def of slavery). You use bible translations supported by only few modern revised bible to fit yourpeaching. Sorry, I prefer translations that are of the mainstream. That is something you learn in theology- since there are different bible translations, you first look at the older ones and then look at all of them and the general message. People like you choose to cherry pick narrow translations that fit your false preaching.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jan 10, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Except your reasoning is infallible. You can't paint human reasoning fallible when you feel like it. In any case, morality is objective in the sense that there is good and evil.

And I've told you that that logic fails because many conducts valued as moral are fatalistic. I've emphasized that there are morals which transcend survival instincts. Yet you play deaf.

You contradict yourself left and right. Human reasoning is fallibel and infallible.

You say that there are morals that transcend survival instincts, I say that you are re.tarded because I have made that point a million times.

You seriously dont read my arguments, you just carry on forward like a bull in one direction screaming "I don't believe in evolution and so Logicboy is wron on morality"
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jan 10, 2013
Heehehe... See blasting... Uyi I'redeye'
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by DeepSight(m): 12:17pm On Jan 10, 2013
Anony, what do you make of the following in red with regard to the salvation of atheists and other non-christians -

God is love. One can also say that God is the source of love. All creatures of God irrespective of race, religion, sex, nationality etc can absorb of this love of God and dispense it accordingly. In the case of human beings, what absorbs this love from God is the human spirit. This love will permeate the spirit, its clocks including the outermost shell, the physical body. Thus he who absorbs the rays of love will manifest love including love for all creations of God. Now, the recognition of this love as coming from God depends on the various radiation connection between the spirit and the various shells surrounding the spirit, the last shell being the physical body and its coordinating center, the human brain. In many of us, this radiation connections are not straight, thus the shells enveloping the spirit are not conscious of the impressions that vibrates in the spirit. Thus a man may believe himself to be an atheist because that is what his brain tells him and yet his spirit is in the recognition of God. Irrespective of his brain telling him that God does not exist, the emanations of the spirit including love still permeates his mind and body resulting in expressions of genuine love. Thus although from a human standpoint, such a man is considered by himself and others to be atheist, spiritually the man is a theist.

In a similar vein the brain and the mind may be trained or indoctrinated or programmed to believe in God but their spirit has no recognition of God. In this case, this believer is actually an atheist even though he believes himself to be a theist. However because he, that is, the spirit has no connection with God, he cannot absorb the rays of love and manifest it. Thus, in spite of his intellectual believe in God, he still manifests the works of the flesh including hatred, anger, lust, gossip, avarice, fear, etc. The species of a seed determines the fruits that it will bear. Thus all genuine love and human beings who indulge in it believe in God even when they are unconscious of it while on earth.

Thus, all human beings who indulge in genuine love are of God and all those who indulge in hatred are not of God. By there works or fruits, you shall know those who stand in the will of God and those that oppose it or do not recognize it. This is an infallible yardstick to know who belongs to God and those who are not.

Therefore the love of God manifests in the love of all creations of God. On earth, it is possible for an atheist to love God without being spiritually conscious of it. However if such atheist continues in the manifestation of the love of God, either later in this earthly life or in the beyond on in another earthly life the emanations of the love of God that vibrates in his spirit will also permeate his earthly brain such that he also becomes conscious of the existence of God while in the physical body. What counts is how our spirit is close or far away from the will of God. Religion, nationality, sex, class and similar things that we think are very important while on earth are worthless once we drop this physical body.

In my view, there is no difference between the pope, the Christian, the mystic or an atheists when it concerns the will of God. Murder is murder whether perpetrated by a pope, a theist or an atheist. Genuine love is genuine love whether it came from an atheist, a pastor or an agnostic. Sometimes we think too much and thus think nothing. If we look around even on earth, we should find that the natural laws which are the manifestation of the will of God in nature does not give a hoot about all these artificial constructs. If a bud-hist sows yam in a fertile soil, he will reap yam. The same goes for an atheist and the theist. In an earthquake or epidemic or accident, both theists and atheists are saved and killed. A deeper look on why these things are the way they are may open our eyes to the working of God. Best wishes.

This post in red above was by M_Nwankwo

https://www.nairaland.com/687376/true-meaning-love-nwankwo
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 12:18pm On Jan 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

You contradict yourself left and right. Human reasoning is fallibel and infallible.

You say that there are morals that transcend survival instincts, I say that you are re.tarded because I have made that point a million times.

You seriously dont read my arguments, you just carry on forward like a bull in one direction screaming "I don't believe in evolution and so Logicboy is wron on morality"

I never said human reasoning is fallible and infallible. Ode ! You say I'm retarded, I say you are foolish for failing to note that survival instincts is not the basis for human morality. I asked you to mention how the human brain starts to apprehend morality and you can't give a satisfactory explanation Yet you carry on with your naturalism. Keep on reveling in your stup1dity.

1 Like

Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 10, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I never said human reasoning is fallible and infallible. Ode ! You say I'm retarded I say you are foolish for failing to note that survival instincts is not the basis for human morality. I ask yed you to mention how the human brain start to apprehend morality and you can't give a satisfactory explanation Yet you carry on with your naturalism. Keep on revelling in your stup1dity.

Just like a tr.tarded bull running in one direction ou stlll ask the same foolish question. Time and time again, I have explained the problems of this qiestion

1) It is irrelevant to the discussion. We have logic and instincts that guide us through morality, how they started in the brain is for evolutionary psychology- something you too retar.ded to accept
2) It is a wrongly worded question. Morality is a human concept- reasoning is a mechanism. What you should be asking and why we developed reasoning differently from animals
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 12:36pm On Jan 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

Just like a tr.tarded bull running in one direction ou stlll ask the same foolish question. Time and time again, I have explained the problems of this qiestion

Idiot. You explained nothing cogent. I pointed out the problems with your explanation and you are yet to give an answer. All you done so far is to divert the issue with insults.

Logicboy03: 1) It is irrelevant to the discussion. We have logic and instincts that guide us through morality, how they started in the brain is for evolutionary psychology- something you too retar.ded to accept

Ode ! Give the explanation instead of assuming evolutionary psychology has one. In case you don't know there is no generally accepted hypothesis on the evolution of the human intelligence.

Logicboy03: 2) It is a wrongly worded question. Morality is a human concept- reasoning is a mechanism. What you should be asking and why we developed reasoning differently from animals

No. You said humans are more than matter. When pressed further you alluded to consciousness and the reasoning ability of the brain. You are yet to give a materialistic account of how these developed in order to form a basis for you alluding morality to reason. It's asinine for you to discount my thesis that we are endowed with morality from an intelligent God and yet fail WOEFULLY to explain how morality developed in humans.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 10, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Idiot. You explained nothing cogent. I pointed out the problems with your explanation and you are yet to give an answer. All you done so far is to divert the issue with insults.

Ode ! Give the explanation instead of assuming evolutionary psychology has one. In case you don't know there is no generally accepted hypothesis on the evolution of the human intelligence.

No. You said humans are more than matter. When pressed further you alluded to consciousness and the reasoning ability of the brain. You are yet to give a materialistic account of how these developed in order to form a basis for you alluding morality to reason. It's asinine for you to discount my thesis that we are endowed with morality from an intelligent God and yet fail WOEFULLY to explain how morality developed in humans.

I give up! You are right! Morality comes from Yaweh who accepts human sacrifice and sanctions slavery! shocked shocked shocked

Gaddem psychopath!
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 12:59pm On Jan 10, 2013
Logicboy03:
I give up! You are right! Morality comes from Yaweh who accepts human sacrifice and sanctions slavery! shocked shocked shocked

It seems memory loss is another one of your ailments. Because I recall telling you I was giving a definition of God common to theists and deists and not the Christian God.

Logicboy03:
Gaddem psychopath!

Bufoon !

1 Like

Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 1:00pm On Jan 10, 2013
Again logicboy FAILS to present a satisfactory account of how morality developed in humans.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jan 10, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Again logicboy FAILS to present a satisfactory account of how morality developed in humans.

Logicboy03: Morality doesnt come from God.

the basis for human morality from evolution and logic.

We define good based on our logic, survival and harm.

We evolve instincts to survive and these insticts forms part of a primal morality. An animalistic morality
Why do we instinctively cuddle babies and breastfeed them? It is an evolutionary instinct to keep them warm and make the survive.

We also do calculations. logical calculations. Why is it evil for a company not to disclose its influential holdings in subsidiaries? Because it logically follows that they can use those subsidiaries to do shady business at the expense of customers and shareholders.

Anony is a tool. He doesnt know jack shytt about morality. Only deluded people claim that morality is from God. We can see what religious peeps are doing today to destroy that notion

2 Likes

Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by truthislight: 1:07pm On Jan 10, 2013
Seun:
I'm referencing the entire bible from Genesis to Revelation. Throughout the entire bible, slave-keeping is never condemned as a sin.

i have said that there are context behind every statement.

The context of the OT is different from the context of the NT.

Seun:
Actually, I think we should dwell on what the bible does not say about slavery. The bible does not say it is a sin to own or trade slaves.

the bible/Yahweh has a purpose from the start and it is to that end that the bible is written, being: "to reconcile all men back to God"

Yahweh had abandon Adam after the fall and the process of reconciliation and the obstacle therein at the start is the message of the bible with the ultimate goal being to restore back the paradise that was lost by Adam.

such ^^^ is the bibles terms of reference.

It is not you or in your power to change the bible terms of reference and to argue from an out of context point and intent.

Consider this approach:

Imagine you are trying to woo a lady that never knew you befor to be your wife.

without her knowing your intent and without her consent you start out giving her your rules and regulations as to how you wish your wife to act and do, without winning her and helping her to know your plans you start taking offence on her on the way she has been living her life in the past which by the way is Withing the acceptable norms in her society, do you think you will succeed in winning her over and succeed in instilling the values you have in mind?

Most probably No.

And she may never come round to hear you out because of your "unreasonable" approach.

Consider the spread of christianity from such ^ angle.

Have you been told that in the kingdom of God which is the ultimate target for christianity and her convert that slavery will be a standard norms there?

The essence of christianity must be taken into consideration and hence her "Mode of operation" = "appeal to all kinds of men of all back ground and culture"

hear paul speak:

"For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; "To them that are without law, as without law, though i am not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some." (1 Corinthians 9:19-22)
^^^
exactly.

See the big picture :
In the kingdom of God all ills will be corrected:

"And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband, and I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain:

"for the former things are passed away." "

(Revelation 21:2-4)

^^^

considering the aim/target of christianity a realistic approach i will say.

It is not your place to redirect the tasks and target of christianity.
Peace.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 1:10pm On Jan 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

The key word there is satisfactory. I have pointed out that morality transcends survival instcts. I have asked you to explain how your precious evolution gave the human brain the reasoning required to make moral choices. You have adduced none.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Must Read: Olodumare (GOD) In Yoruba Ifa And Orisha Is Monotheistic / Ghanaian Pastors Are Proving Worse Than Nigeria’s / Righteousness Of The Laws Of Moses Vs Righteousness Of Grace Of Christ By Faith

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.