Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? (20664 Views)

TEN QUESTIONS That Christians Can Never Answer / How Many Christians Can Boldly Say This..? / Christians: Can a Non-Christian Go to Heaven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 12:30am On Dec 25, 2012
Sister plappville, you are still on this matter. I can see alexleo is doing a good job here.

I think you should do away with this idea of "if it's not expressly stated in the bible, then it not right". You sound like a robot when you do that. It gives the impression you are just regurgitating other people views.

When Christ gave his commandment, he did not say this is exactly what you must do and these are the list of activities you must abstain from. We have a freedom to operate within the commandments as long as we don't act in a manner that does not align with them. Society evolves, so does activities. Jesus could not have instructed that we should not watch certain programs on television because there was no t.v at the Time. The scriptures covers event up to some years after the crucifixion, and will not expressly address behaviours or activities not vogue at the time. Man will always look at New ways of doing already established behaviors or activities or even new things to do, but we must be guided by the scriptures to ensure we don't go wrong.

2. You cannot say Christmas has pagan origin and therefore it is wrong, afterall the idea of sacrifice and worship performed by pagans has its root on Cain & Abel, but that does not make it right. Agreed that Christmas is now a global feast and people celebrate it for different reasons. People will rob or kidnap to raise fund for christmas celebration, to them Christmas is all about making merry. The beauty of it all is that God looks at the heart and not your actions.

Take alexleo's advice and focus on the fact that Christmas is not done right. You make more sense if you critic the manner in which some peeps celebrate Xmas. Also considers the possibility that these peeps might not be Christians.

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 12:41am On Dec 25, 2012
plappville:

If it was not wrong, the examples will be spread over scripture. There are only 2 birthday occasions recorded in the bible, One king HEROD, two king PHEROAH. BOTH ARE PAGANS.

These two evens were well penned as birthday, why is Christ own not? be informed that these events have similarities in that they're both marked by celebrations and executions, one was the death of Pharaoh's chief baker and the beheading of John the Baptist by Herod)(Genesis 40:18-22; 41:13); (Matthew 14:6-11; Mark 6:21-28).

What is the good example of birthday? which of the Rigteous figures can you point out celebrated yearly birthday apart from these two pagans? This is where the problem is.

I asked a question in some time back and your guys quietly avoided it, maybe you can answer if you have the courage.

"what if I decided to celebrate the birth of Christ by a dedicating a day once a year for it, a day I chose, and I spend the day giving praises. Do you consider my action a sin? If yes kindly state why"
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 12:46am On Dec 25, 2012
alexleo:

Whichever way the choose to clebrate whatever is their business. For us we are celebrating Jesus and there is nothing unbiblical about celebrating Jesus. I ve given out verses where the birth of Jesus was celebrated.

How was it celebrated??.......and was it commemorated??............won't you exchange gifts tomorrow??don't you have xmas trees hung around your house??.....celebrating the birth day of Jesus on dec 25th is a big time fraud.........Jesus does not have any dealings with fraud and paganÍsm.......you think Jesus would be smiling from the heavens that his so called followers snatcheÐ both the date and customs of the worship and celebration of the birthday of the SUN god(saturnalia)Ànd attaching it to him??..........

A POPE presumptuously chose deÇ 25th as Jesus' birthday...........I hope you know that??.....
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 12:55am On Dec 25, 2012
I want all christmas celebrants to check up PAGAN9JA's post.......

www.nairaland.com/1141847/let-us-worship-sun

the real owners of the xmas celebration are also commemorating the birthday of the sun GOD........

So I wonder...............what's the difference??.....

2 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 12:59am On Dec 25, 2012
plappville:
....See my last post for more about what the bible teaches on birthday.

They are not teachings on birthdays please. If thats your interpretation of those events, maybe you should stop reading. I guess it safer to let your pastor do the reading & interpretation.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 1:25am On Dec 25, 2012
ijawkid:

How was it celebrated??.......and was it commemorated??............won't you exchange gifts tomorrow??don't you have xmas trees hung around your house??.....

What's wrong with the exchange of gifts? Even apostle paul received gifts. What's wrong with the 'christmas tree'? Is it not a tree made by God? So one should not go near any plant and animal because pagans use them. You guys are making a mess of this anti Xmas argument.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 1:35am On Dec 25, 2012
Zikkyy:

What's wrong with the exchange of gifts? Even apostle paul received gifts. What's wrong with the 'christmas tree'? Is it not a tree made by God? So one should not go near any plant and animal because pagans use them. You guys are making a mess of this anti Xmas argument.

Paul receive gift on xmas daÝ??...ok sorry them never begin celebrate xmas that time..na saturnalia e been be...........grin......the early christians received gifts everyday from the brethrens.......a particular day was never planned for. Exchange of gifts....it is the saturlania that brought about that.....

I hope you know what the use of trees in pagaÑ festivals symbolizes..........

I'm nÓt saying don't go near a plant or a tree,but don't use them in festivals that have been dedicated to idols............the use of the xmas tree was adopted straight from paganism........Jesus has nothing to do with xmas trees............

Zikky you know better na...........

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 1:36am On Dec 25, 2012
ijawkid:
....celebrating the birth day of Jesus on dec 25th is a big time fraud.....

I told you to drop this date issue. So if its celebrated sometime mid year, it will not be a fraud abi? Is there any date one can celebrate the birth of Christ? A pagan feast free day? If you know of such kindly advice those that celebrate Xmas so they can reschedule the Xmas feast.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 1:44am On Dec 25, 2012
Zikkyy:

I told you to drop this date issue. So if its celebrated sometime mid year, it will not be a fraud abi? Is there any date one can celebrate the birth of Christ? A pagan feast free day? If you know of such kindly advice those that celebrate Xmas so they can reschedule the Xmas feast.

Lol........must you celeb®ate the birth of Jesus??....na must??..........only pagans in the past had that drive in celebrating the birthdays of gods and peoples.........

All I can see from x…mas celebration is that its celebrants has forced the celebration on Jesus.............because till today I never see wetin concern Jesus with xmas....if you don see tell me..............

2 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 1:44am On Dec 25, 2012
ijawkid:

Paul receive gift on xmas daÝ??...ok sorry them never begin celebrate xmas that time..na saturnalia e been be...........grin......the early christians received gifts everyday from the brethrens.......a particular day was never planned for. Exchange of gifts....it is the saturlania that brought about that...........

All I have done is show that the receipt or giving of gift is not a sin. You guys make look like it is a sin. The intent of the man giving or receiving a gift matters whether It's Xmas or any other day. Giving of gift on Xmas day is not what makes Xmas wrong.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 1:55am On Dec 25, 2012
Zikkyy:

All I have done is show that the receipt or giving of gift is not a sin. You guys make look like it is a sin. The intent of the man giving or receiving a gift matters whether It's Xmas or any other day. Giving of gift on Xmas day is not what makes Xmas wrong.

Making it a custom to exchange gifts on a set aside day in imitation of a pagan festival is what is wrong and no early 1st century christian practiced such kind of giving..........

Almost everyone if not all who celebrates christmas exchange gifts because its the exact custom of the saturlania which it was taken from nÓt because its part of christian giving........that is my point........
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 2:02am On Dec 25, 2012
ijawkid:

Lol........must you celeb®ate the birth of Jesus??....na must??..........only pagans in the past had that drive in celebrating the birthdays of gods and peoples.........

It is not a must. And frankly my approach to it is to see treat it like any other national holiday. But do I partake in some of the activities? Yes, I exchange cards (even with Muslim friends & colleagues grin), & gifts too. But to say it was wrong for my Catholic & pentecostal brothers to celebrate Christmas in a proper manner is something I don't agree with.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 2:13am On Dec 25, 2012
ijawkid:

Making it a custom to exchange gifts on a set aside day in imitation of a pagan festival is what is wrong and no early 1st century christian practiced such kind of giving..........

Almost everyone if not all who celebrates christmas exchange gifts because its the exact custom of the saturlania which it was taken from nÓt because its part of christian giving........that is my point........

I understand your point. But also understand that gift giving is not being done today because it is saturnalia custom to give. If I give extra on Christmas day (i give on other days) because I consider that day special & and the giving was done out of genuine love for the recipient, what's wrong with that?

The day I will join your camp is the day peeps begin to justify Xmas as a command from God. It is strictly a creation of man. What is important is to try and ensure our actions are acceptable to the Almighty.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 2:31am On Dec 25, 2012
And just before I sign off, I will like to use this opportunity to wish my anti-xmas brother's and sister (ljawkid, truthislight & plappville) a very merry Xmas celebration. Wishing you a 'bombastic' Xmas . Please don't drink and drive, I very much want to read your posts in year 2013 smiley
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 6:56am On Dec 25, 2012
Zikkyy:

I understand your point. But also understand that gift giving is not being done today because it is saturnalia custom to give. If I give extra on Christmas day (i give on other days) because I consider that day special & and the giving was done out of genuine love for the recipient, what's wrong with that?

The day I will join your camp is the day peeps begin to justify Xmas as a command from God. It is strictly a creation of man. What is important is to try and ensure our actions are acceptable to the Almighty.

Hmmm...............zikky you surprise me a lot....ok this is how we wiLl do it.........you guys can scream merry xmas for all you can and celebrate it,but don't you guys dare attach our Lord Jesus to it......there's no connection @ all..........my problem with you is that you are not looking @ the reasons why xmas is celebrated because you just wanna do it...that is why I said"" you guys are forcing xmas on Jesus""....................it has been proven from all angles that xmas is a fraud and its pagan,but still you uphold it...........smh.......the celebration of xmas has done nothing but bring shame on christianity as a whole.......and don't tell non-christians that Jesus is happy with a celebration that was forced on Him......Jesus does never has taken pleasure in mixing paganism and the service of God
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 7:02am On Dec 25, 2012
Zikkyy: And just before I sign off, I will like to use this opportunity to wish my anti-xmas brother's and sister (ljawkid, truthislight & plappville) a very merry Xmas celebration. Wishing you a 'bombastic' Xmas . Please don't drink and drive, I very much want to read your posts in year 2013 smiley

Lol.....I'll be around bro......but abeg na the xmas celebrants wey you for nak this message give,because majority must drunk today then do many yeye things....lol......

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 7:31am On Dec 25, 2012
ijawkid:
..........my problem with you is that you are not looking @ the reasons why xmas is celebrated because you just wanna do it...that is why I said"" you guys are forcing xmas on Jesus""....................

So can you tell us why zikkyy and alexleo celebrate Xmas? It appears you know us more than we know ourselves.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 7:35am On Dec 25, 2012
ijawkid:
"....................it has been proven from all angles that xmas is a fraud and its pagan,

Please provide evidence that shows zikkyy and alexleo activity today is a fraud and pagan.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 7:41am On Dec 25, 2012
ijawkid:
.......a don't tell non-christians that Jesus is happy with a celebration that was forced on Him.....

You are saying a lot of things you don't understand. Kindly tell us how the celebration was forced on Christ.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 7:47am On Dec 25, 2012
ijawkid:
................the celebration of xmas has done nothing but bring shame on christianity as a whole.......

How? Please tell us.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by eddyspice(m): 8:26am On Dec 25, 2012
@ alexleo. most times in life generally accepted statement or way of life are view as truth because the truth might b unpopular or difficult to accept.it only takes an open mind to research and compare what is a percieved truth n d real truth on a matter using evidence.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by eddyspice(m): 8:52am On Dec 25, 2012
Zikkyy:

How? Please tell us.
@ zikkyy the orgin of what we take part in matters.for example if a juju priest claim he is now a follower of christ but decides to convert all his juju festival to a festival for christ,can we say its okay to partake because Jesue name is mention in d festival but every facet of d orginal festival is still practiced would u partake?Exodus 32:1-12 and 32:21-28

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 9:08am On Dec 25, 2012
Zikkyy:

How? Please tell us.

It has made professed christians one and the same with pagans.....xmas has even made many pagans remain pagans.......of what use is it becoming a christian when I would still engage in the same pagan acts I once practiced??...........ofcus muslims,atheists and the Jews would be laughing so hard seeing how many professed christians engage in the saturnalia celebration while hiding behind the cloak of celebrating Christs birthday which he never initiated..............

My bro its a shame.....pagans are laughing at us.........Christmas has done nothing but recruit more and more pagans.........
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 9:12am On Dec 25, 2012
Zikkyy:

You are saying a lot of things you don't understand. Kindly tell us how the celebration was forced on Christ.

Because y'all insist the birthday of Christ must be celebrated and on a false date.......Christ himself never celebrated his birthday let alone allowing humans presumptuously choosing to do so and again on a pagan date...............don't you see it??................

Christ has never been part of xmas..never!!!.....get him out of it....you guys can enjoy yourself but leave Christ out of this...his not part of pagan practices and customs

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Nobody: 9:17am On Dec 25, 2012
Ijawkid, do you believe that your beliefs are perfect and that of others flawed?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by alexleo(m): 9:22am On Dec 25, 2012
I have said it that there is nothing wrong in celebrating the birth of Jesus. The birth of Jesus is about the cross, the cross is about our redemption, our redemption is about eternal life in heaven. I have every reason to celebrate it anyday including the 25th day of december. I could decide to celebrate by having a family worship or worshipping in my church or giving gifts to people. Bible did not say we shouldnt give gifts to people on a particular date. Again since you want us to follow the apostles, i ask, did the apostles wear trousers? Did they wear suit? Why are we not wearing the garment they use to wear. My beloved sister plappvile lets read the bible with divine wisdom. Merry christmas.
plappville:

If it was not wrong, the examples will be spread over scripture. There are only 2 birthday occasions recorded in the bible, One king HEROD, two king PHEROAH. BOTH ARE PAGANS.

These two evens were well penned as birthday, why is Christ own not? be informed that these events have similarities in that they're both marked by celebrations and executions, one was the death of Pharaoh's chief baker and the beheading of John the Baptist by Herod)(Genesis 40:18-22; 41:13); (Matthew 14:6-11; Mark 6:21-28)

What is the good example of birthday? which of the Rigteous figures can you point out celebrated yearly birthday apart from these two pagans? This is where the problem is.

It doesn't matter, or there is nothing wrong, traditions are multiplying, growing in the church every blessed day. This is no doubt Prophecy in fulfillment.

S M H....

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Nobody: 9:29am On Dec 25, 2012
alexleo: I have said it that there is nothing wrong in celebrating the birth of Jesus. The birth of Jesus is about the cross, the cross is about our redemption, our redemption is about eternal life in heaven. I have every reason to celebrate it anyday including the 25th day of december. I could decide to celebrate by having a family worship or worshipping in my church or giving gifts to people. Bible did not say we shouldnt give gifts to people on a particular date. Again since you want us to follow the apostles, i ask, did the apostles wear trousers? Did they wear suit? Why are we not wearing the garment they use to wear. My beloved sister plappvile lets read the bible with divine wisdom. Merry christmas.
Word.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by alexleo(m): 9:41am On Dec 25, 2012
ijawkid:

Because y'all insist the birthday of Christ must be celebrated and on a false date.......Christ himself never celebrated his birthday let alone allowing humans presumptuously choosing to do so and again on a pagan date...............don't you see it??................

Christ has never been part of xmas..never!!!.....get him out of it....you guys can enjoy yourself but leave Christ out of this...his not part of pagan practices and customs

And i ask, did christ wear trousers. Did he wear suit? Why are you not wearig his type of garment since you want to do it exactly the way he did things. Where did the bible tell us to wear ttouser and suit?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 10:45am On Dec 25, 2012
alexleo:

And i ask, did christ wear trousers. Did he wear suit? Why are you not wearig his type of garment since you want to do it exactly the way he did things. Where did the bible tell us to wear ttouser and suit?

Hmmmm......your comparing clothing(a necessity) with a pagan observance shows how deep the xmas has gotten into you..................if Jesus was alive today he would wear trousers...if not he'll walk around butt naked.........you surprise me with your analogies......if early christians had to abandon jewish festivals which they were once commanded to observe just to make sure they follow Christ,I wonder why you guys would steal a pagan festival to celebrate Christ and expect Christ to open his teeth and smile...........................for your info the bible encouraged wearing of clothes............but you do know bible principles as regards paganism and idol worship..............if you had existed in the times of the isrealite and you adopt pagan customs even if you choose to use it to serve God,you'll be struck dead............

4 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 10:50am On Dec 25, 2012
Reyginus: Word.
What word??....ask alexleo if the pope who instituted the xmas celebration and fixing it on december 25th had not done it would (alexleo) be celebrating xmas today.....??......

Alexleo celebrates xmas because he saw people doing it not because he on his own would have engaged in it..........isn't the observance of the death of Jesus Christ enough for christians to commemorate according to Jesus' command??..........

Christmas is an outright fraud and an insult on Jesus......
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 10:54am On Dec 25, 2012
Reyginus: Ijawkid, do you believe that your beliefs are perfect and that of others flawed?

this is not about belief,this is about the truth and how Christ would look at things...let's be sincere to ourselves.......let people just say they wanna party ,rather than snatch paganism and put Jesus in front as the reason for the celebration...........

What has the xmas celebration achieved??......
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Nobody: 10:56am On Dec 25, 2012
ijawkid:
Christmas is an outright fraud and an insult on Jesus......
I'm only interested in this. How is the rememberance of the day our saviour was born a fraud? What is even a fraud for the matter?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

Jesus Prophesied and Warned: Paul is False Prophet/Messiah / The Uncontrollable Spread Of Sexual Lust / Pastor Saves Almost N2 Million In His Piggy Bank (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.