Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? - Religion (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? (20673 Views)

TEN QUESTIONS That Christians Can Never Answer / How Many Christians Can Boldly Say This..? / Christians: Can a Non-Christian Go to Heaven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 1:12am On Jan 04, 2013
See what christians follow:

Deities of Yule:

All Newborn Gods, Sun Gods, Mother Goddesses, and Triple Goddesses. The best known would be the Dagda, and Brighid, the daughter of the Dagda. Brighid taught the smiths the arts of fire tending and the secrets of metal work. Brighid's flame, like the flame of the new light, pierces the darkness of the spirit and mind, while the Dagda's cauldron assures that Nature will always provide for all the children.

Symbolism of Yule:

Rebirth of the Sun, The longest night of the year, The Winter Solstice, Introspect, "Planning for the Future".

ymbols of Yule:
Yule log, or small Yule log with 3 candles, evergreen boughs or wreaths, holly, mistletoe hung in doorways, gold pillar candles, baskets of clove studded fruit, a simmering pot of wassail, poinsettias, christmas cactus.

Herbs of Yule:
Bayberry, blessed thistle, evergreen, frankincense holly, laurel, mistletoe, oak, pine, sage, yellow cedar.

Foods of Yule:

Cookies and caraway cakes soaked in cider, fruits, nuts, pork dishes, turkey, eggnog, ginger tea, spiced cider, wassail, or lamb's wool (ale, sugar, nutmeg, roasted apples). [s]for Nigeria na rice and stew...chop chop grin grin [/s]

Incense of Yule:
Pine, cedar, bayberry, cinnamon.

Colors of Yule:
Red, green, gold, white, silver, yellow, orange.

Stones of Yule:
Rubies, bloodstones, garnets, emeralds, diamonds.

Activities of Yule:
Caroling, wassailing the trees, burning the Yule log, decorating the Yule tree, exchanging of presents, kissing under the mistletoe, honoring Kriss Kringle the Germanic Pagan God of Yule

Spellworkings of Yule:
Peace, harmony, love, and increased happiness. [s]According to xmas celebrants, this is the period they truelly can increase in love drag pagans to Christ, so what's wrong in christmas? is thier usual question:[/s] THE PAGAN ORIGIN, INFACT, THE PAGAN EVERYTHING!

Deities of Yule:
Goddesses-Brighid, Isis, Demeter, Gaea, Diana, The Great Mother. Gods-Apollo, Ra, Odin, Lugh, The Oak King, The Horned One, The Green Man, The Divine Child, Mabon.

For more, visit the link...http://wicca.com/celtic/akasha/yule.htm

Ephesians 5:11 Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

Proverbs 1:10 My son, if sinners entice you, do not give in to them.

2 John 1:11 Anyone who welcomes him shares in his wicked work.

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 2:05am On Jan 04, 2013
IT is so clear that the Early church celebrated Lord's Supper not Christ birth. ( Acts 2:42-46; I Cor. 11:20-22)(Acts 20:7) (I Cor. 10:16) (I Cor. 11:24, 25).

This is supposed to be an ordinance of the Church, ordained by Jesus as obedient act of remembrance.
An act of commemoration, collective and corporate act of church and not an individualistic act as @Zikkyy claim.

Jesus said, do this in remembrance of Me, a memorial observance and not an observance like Xmas where people take loan to buy expensive clothes live a flamboyant life for just few days, not the chop chop table for just a day, or going to night parting etc..etc.

The truth is that, Christmas has no Spiritual feelings, its fakeness is obvious. The observance of Christ death flows with a good feeling, and this is felt within the brethren in the presence of God. No Scriptural guarantees that God is in the presence of Christmas. Or does a celebrant has one?

1 Corinthians 11:29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.

We are not to partake "unworthily" in the observance of Christ's death. We are to examine our mind-set, attitudes, motives before doing it.
This observance is Scripturally guided. Its not a thing you just decide to observed like Christmas.

Any being can be a celebrant of Xmas. Atheist, Pagan and christians, they all do the chop chop stuffs in common without guidance.

Observing Christ's death is an act of proclamation. As oft as u eat...you proclaim the Lord's death.
Its the moment Christians proclaim they are believers in the efficacy of Christ's death, resurrection and life.
We do proclaim the Lord's death until He comes:

1 Corinthians 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
Is there a similar Scripture to show for birth (Christmas)? Clelebrants if you have one let us read it.

The while lies told about Jesus's birth was a disobedient act and pretence in loving the Lord.
Business, commercial partiners are promoters of Christmas today. Those who seek the truth knows that scripture gave enough instruction on what to observed, this should be enough.

(1 cor 10 20-21)No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons.

Rom 1:25 25 They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen.

Adding to the Scripture is disobeying the law, Deut 4 2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.
The warning was repeated:
Deut 12 32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

prob 30: 6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Rev 22:18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book,

Borrowing or modifying a Pagan culture/traditon to please God is contraditing the Scripture. This is men tradition.

jeremiah 10 2-3 This is what the Lord says:
“Do not learn the ways of the nations (copy from pagan)
or be terrified by signs in the sky,
though the nations are terrified by them.
3For the customs of the peoples are worthless; (thier traditons/feast)
they cut a tree out of the forest,
and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.

Brethren...follow biblical examples on feast/celebrations, there is much fun in them than these pagan holidays.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 9:36am On Jan 04, 2013
plappville:
I did not put fort my words but that of the scripture. It just shows it's against men tradition, Christmas is a tradition that is been handed down by a human being like you and me, It was not and will never be supported by the Scripture. now tell me, is this not a tradition of man? or do you have ur own definition of "men traditon"?

Let me for the purpose of understanding your post agree that it is the xmas is the tradition of men. Okay, so what? if it is the traditions of men nko? you are not telling me anything here. The reason i said your points are ripped off the JW's checklist angry The argument of 'traditions of men' have already been debunked by zikkyy grin i have shown that Jesus did not condemn the tradition of washing hands before eating as pagan, so who are you to condemn every tradition of men as pagan practices? angry What was Jesus concern about tradition? Read again Jesus response to the pharisee in Mathew 15:

"This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand: Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man".

"......But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies..."

The pharisee teaches washing of hands before eating as a commandment and a sin if you don't do it. They hold these traditions above God's commandment. Jesus had issues with the teachings (the bolded) but did not condemn the tradition of washing hands itself.

In the same manner, i have shown that my hanging a harmless tree in my sitting room is not what defiles me, but the intentions of my heart is what God looks at. But i don't expect you to see this because just like the pharisee before you, you have adopted a very narrow and legalistic approach to matters of external worship and observance of commandments.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 9:55am On Jan 04, 2013
plappville:
It shows you did not see when i adressed this. I SAID if you claim God used the birthday as a means for Joseph then you are equally saying He uses Herod's birthday for John the Baptise undecided what was positive in the Herod's account? God is not a part in birthday celebration, He has always rescue His children in His own ways, do not validate birthday with Joseph"s freedom.
Birthday or not, God will always react when it Pleases Him. Maybe you should also say that the Butler pleases God thats why He was released and promoted unlike the Baker that was hated and killed! You should know that Joseph faithfully served Pharoah and for this He got rewarded by God (in keeping with 1 Peter 2:18)

I saw where you made an attempt at addressing my post smiley the reason i said you did not come back with anything serious. You were the one that stated that there were only two records of birthday celebrations in the bible and both instances has to do with negative outcome. All i have done is to show your bias and dishonesty for ignoring a positive outcome associated with the pharaoh's birthday. Your interpretation was just to achieve your purpose and nothing more. The truth is that there would have been no record of pharaoh's birthday if Joseph had not been sold by his brothers, and there would have been no record of Herod's birthday if John died from riot or stabbed on the streets of Jerusalem. To say that both records was to show that birthday celebration is pagan is very false. That reasoning remain DEBUNKED! by Zikkyy grin
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 10:05am On Jan 04, 2013
plappville:
I did not put fort my words but that of the scripture. It just shows it's against men tradition, Christmas is a tradition that is been handed down by a human being like you and me, It was not and will never be supported by the Scripture. now tell me, is this not a tradition of man? or do you have ur own definition of "men traditon"?

You had every opportunity to nail this argument one time. instead of going about shouting "traditions of men", all you ever needed to do was show how this practice was elevated above God's commandment, or how the practice of celebrating Christ birth will stop a christian from following the commandments of God. It's a very simple matter, really smiley quoting verses and spicing it with your own bias interpretations is not a good approach.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 10:36am On Jan 04, 2013
plappville:
There is no party on birthday of Christ in the Bible, Christ did not forget anything, He gave us enough of what He wants us to do until He returns.

@bolded, i don't find anywhere in the bible where Christ stated that commemorating his death is the only thing he want us to do in remembrance of him.

plappville:
History has proven Dec 25 that is tagged as Christ date of birth, was the birthday of Mithra, the god of light/Sun.
It also proved that it was the Roman that re-assigned the meaning to the "birthday of Jesus. From Sun to Son. What have you to debunk? grin grin

December 25th has been debunked as irrelevant to proving the celebration of Christ's birth is pagan angry I asked you people before, if the date of xmas was moved to May 29, will that make xmas a Christian practice? if your answer is No, then the issue of December 25th is not relevant. Why would you waste your time proving to a sango worshiper that he is pagan because he eat food dedicated to sango? He is pagan because he worships sango, simple. The best you can achieve with this line of criticism is to show that xmas is pagan only if it is celebrated on December 25. You need to do away with that checklist so you can focus on showing us how the very idea of celebrating Christ becomes a pagan activity angry
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 11:18am On Jan 04, 2013
plappville:
And you think CHRISTMAS IS OF CHRIST? WHAT GUARANTEED YOU THAT GOD IS ALWAYS THERE? SCRIPTURE PLEASE!

I don't brag, even if it is allowed i don't..

plappville:
Zikky, The early church did not celebrates XMAS(Christ birth) but the Lord's Supper. ( Acts 2:42-46; I Cor. 11:20-22)

There are lots of stuff the early xtians did not celebrate. for example, they did not feast when they buy a new donkey, they did not feast when they buy new dress or the latest weave-on grin they did not feast when the won America visa lottery sorry, i meant ticket to visit Rome grin my sister abeg leave matter jare. We know there is no evidence that suggests the early church celebrated Christ birth, that is not an issue. Did the bible say that doing what the early Christians did not do amounts to sinning against God?

plappville:
I believe this thread has given enough scriptures that do not surpport celebrating Christ birth but His death... and not once a year, but every meeting through the Lord's Supper. (Acts 20:7) (I Cor. 10:16) (I Cor. 11:24, 25).

You've said it, it's your belief smiley How do you show that murder is crime? is it by providing sections in the law that shows that polygamy is a crime? You don't prove Christ birth should not be celebrated by showing scriptural proof that we should celebrate Christ death angry

plappville:
I believe this thread has given enough scriptures that do not surpport celebrating Christ birth but His death... and not once a year, but every meeting through the Lord's Supper. (Acts 20:7) (I Cor. 10:16) (I Cor. 11:24, 25).

@bolded, maybe you should be advising your JW brothers.

plappville:
Christmas custom will remain pagan, You zikkyy can't change this. The Eastern star that is associated with the Nativity story, and its derivative decorative value over the holidays is an element of older cults which was refashioned to suit monotheistic needs.
Some of its greatest usage is attached to ancient mother goddess cults, including that of the goddess Asherah.
All churches houses in the WEST use this Star till date. Many other nature symbols, like snowflakes, the tree and poinsettias, which are also associated with the holidays were likewise used in older pagan cults. Do reseach bros.

There is no intention to change your perception, only desire to show your bias. What those decorations stand for is irrelevant as long as they are not what make xmas pagan. Take the case of commemorating the death of Christ for example, atleast you agree this one is in the scriptures. It is being celebrated in different ways by different people, now JWs complain that there is pagan element. i.e. even the name easter is pagan, there is the issue of easter egg, in some cases the commemoration of Christ death is associated with o.rgies, crime e.t.c. will all this make the commemoration of Christ death a pagan activity? tell me. so you understand when i say the issue of decorations have been debunked as irrelevant grin. It's a totally different issue.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 11:26am On Jan 04, 2013
plappville:
Zikkyy, see picture of the ancient yule log and the modern one designed as Christmas cake...chop chop grin grin grin (jk)

It's not looking bad cheesy but seriously, it's not an issue at this time. It is not what makes xmas a pagan activity.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by truthislight: 2:46pm On Jan 04, 2013
@Zikky and all Chrismas celebrant

Take a lift from something similar like christmas that happened with the nation of Israel.

Exodus 32:3-10:
3 So all the people took off their earrings and brought them to Aaron. 4 He took what they handed him and made it into an idol cast in the
shape of a calf, fashioning it with a tool. Then they
said, “These are your gods,[b] Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.” 5 When Aaron saw this, he built an altar in front of the calf and announced, “Tomorrow there will be a
festival to the LORD.” 6 So the next day the people rose early and sacrificed burnt offerings and
presented fellowship offerings. Afterward they sat
down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in
revelry. 7 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Go down, because your people, whom you brought up out of Egypt,
have become corrupt. 8 They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have
made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf.
They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it
and have said, ‘These are your gods, Israel, who
brought you up out of Egypt.’ 9 “I have seen these people,” the LORD said to Moses, “and they are a stiff-necked people. 10 Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I
will make you into a great nation.”

Chrismas is also similar to something that the Jews did in the past and the almighty kill them.

"What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing? But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils." (1 Corinthians 10:19-20).

Keep sacrificing with the pegan to idols.

You are on your own still.

when the Jews moulded the calf as it was done in egypt they also changed the name and said that it is for the worship of Yahweh.

Chrismas is also a name changed ceremony.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 4:07pm On Jan 04, 2013
truthislight:
@Zikky and all Chrismas celebrant

Take a lift from something similar like christmas that happened with the nation of Israel.

Exodus 32:3-10:
3 So all the people took off their earrings and brought them to Aaron. 4 He took what they handed him and made it into an idol cast in the
shape of a calf, fashioning it with a tool. Then they
said, “These are your gods,[b] Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.” 5 When Aaron saw this, he built an altar in front of the calf and announced, “Tomorrow there will be a
festival to the LORD.” 6 So the next day the people rose early and sacrificed burnt offerings and
presented fellowship offerings. Afterward they sat
down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in
revelry. 7 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Go down, because your people, whom you brought up out of Egypt,
have become corrupt. 8 They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have
made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf.
They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it
and have said, ‘These are your gods, Israel, who
brought you up out of Egypt.’ 9 “I have seen these people,” the LORD said to Moses, “and they are a stiff-necked people. 10 Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I
will make you into a great nation.”

Chrismas is also similar to something that the Jews did in the past and the almighty kill them.

"What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing? But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils." (1 Corinthians 10:19-20).

Keep sacrificing with the pegan to idols.

You are on your own still.

when the Jews moulded the calf as it was done in egypt they also changed the name and said that it is for the worship of Yahweh.

Chrismas is also a name changed ceremony.

abegi! this is item #9 on the JW Xmas criticism checklist grin We have seen this one before jor angry it's been debunked na! Try again grin
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 4:47pm On Jan 04, 2013
BTW brother truthislight, i need help with a question here:

How come peeps are denied their 'right' to chop & drink whenever JWs hold their memorial of Christ death? angry the last and only time i attended your memorial i had expectations that food and wine will flow very well grin your people disappointed me angry there was no 'chop', there was no wine angry they were just passing the thing round, peeps were scared of taking a sip. That is not what i read in the bible o! Jesus said we should eat in remembrance of him, he did not say we should pass the plate round angry there was a bit of sermon and some singing (Jesus did not say you should sing in remembrance of him, did he?).
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by truthislight: 9:06pm On Jan 04, 2013
Zikkyy:

abegi! this is item #9 on the JW Xmas criticism checklist grin We have seen this one before jor angry it's been debunked na! Try again grin

keep "debunking" the truth of God's word, i hope you will be able to reward your self with everlasting life in the absent of Yahweh.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by truthislight: 9:48pm On Jan 04, 2013
Zikkyy: BTW brother truthislight, i need help with a question here:

How come peeps are denied their 'right' to chop & drink whenever JWs hold their memorial of Christ death? angry the last and only time i attended your memorial i had expectations that food and wine will flow very well grin your people disappointed me angry there was no 'chop', there was no wine angry they were just passing the thing round, peeps were scared of taking a sip. That is not what i read in the bible o! Jesus said we should eat in remembrance of him, he did not say we should pass the plate round angry there was a bit of sermon and some singing (Jesus did not say you should sing in remembrance of him, did he?).

i am talking on a personal level since i also observed the event.

there is no banning of eating food.

The consideration is avoidance of distraction from the significance of the day to the individual and mankind.

Those usually involved in the preparation of food in an event usually get distracted from the most important part or thing in an event.

Remember what the reply of Jesus was to martha that was busy in the preparation of food instead of listening to Jesus:

"Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word "But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: "But very little thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:38-42)

With this principle in mind it is important not to get any one distracted and miss the significance of the event.

However, if someone is able to get the "need full" or take time out without getting anybody distracted it is not bad. The priority is to apply the principles and give priority to spiritual things.

For me, personally, depending, i can take friends out later, but all this are not a hard and fast rule.

You should set priority first on spiritual things.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 3:28am On Jan 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

It's not looking bad cheesy but seriously, it's not an issue at this time. It is not what makes xmas a pagan activity.

I thought you were arguing the activities and decorations are not rooted from the pagan feast? These pictures make you debunked yourself.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 3:30am On Jan 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

You had every opportunity to nail this argument one time. instead of going about shouting "traditions of men", all you ever needed to do was show how this practice was elevated above God's commandment, or how the practice of celebrating Christ birth will stop a christian from following the commandments of God. It's a very simple matter, really smiley quoting verses and spicing it with your own bias interpretations is not a good approach.

You are ignoring scriptures bro.....! I wont repeat myself on this!
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 3:38am On Jan 05, 2013
zikkyy: There are lots of stuff the early xtians did not celebrate. for example, they did not feast when they buy a new donkey, they did not feast when they buy new dress or the latest weave-on they did not feast when the won America visa lottery sorry, i meant ticket to visit Rome my sister abeg leave matter jare. We know there is no evidence that suggests the early church celebrated Christ birth, that is not an issue. Did the bible say that doing what the early Christians did not do amounts to sinning against God?

Haba, na so you be? We are talking of a feast that was dedicated to the sun god and was tagged with Christ, you are here ranting of cars, ticket, clothes etc...

BTW, does this things you mentioned up there worth celebrating? it seems you are intentionally creating irrelevant issues angry
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 3:39am On Jan 05, 2013
zikkyy:@bolded, maybe you should be advising your JW brothers.

Are you @true2god..... grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 3:47am On Jan 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

Let me for the purpose of understanding your post agree that it is the xmas is the tradition of men. Okay, so what? if it is the traditions of men nko? you are not telling me anything here. The reason i said your points are ripped off the JW's checklist angry The argument of 'traditions of men' have already been debunked by zikkyy grin i have shown that Jesus did not condemn the tradition of washing hands before eating as pagan, so who are you to condemn every tradition of men as pagan practices? angry What was Jesus concern about tradition? Read again Jesus response to the pharisee in Mathew 15:

"This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand: Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man".

"......But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies..."

The pharisee teaches washing of hands before eating as a commandment and a sin if you don't do it. They hold these traditions above God's commandment. Jesus had issues with the teachings (the bolded) but did not condemn the tradition of washing hands itself.

In the same manner, i have shown that my hanging a harmless tree in my sitting room is not what defiles me, but the intentions of my heart is what God looks at. But i don't expect you to see this because just like the pharisee before you, you have adopted a very narrow and legalistic approach to matters of external worship and observance of commandments.

I will only present you the scripture, You have the choice, no one is forcing anything on you. Your chop chop seem very important than anything else ... grin

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

[size=14pt]2Thessalonians 3:6 ¶ Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us. 7 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;[/size]

Zikkyy who did you recieve christmas traditon from? Christ, His apostles or the Catholic church elder/elders?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 6:05am On Jan 05, 2013
plappville:
I thought you were arguing the activities and decorations are not rooted from the pagan feast?

You have not been reading me. My argument is not that pagans did not use a particular item in their worship. My position is that these stuff you mentioned were not there when Xmas was instituted. It came centuries later. So its wrong of you to say these decorations were carried over from the saturnalia worshippers in an attempt to justify your claim that Xmas is pagan origin. For me there is nothing practiced today that resembles saturnalia worship. It therefore mean nothing has been carried over. The question of if later additions to Xmas (in some people attempt at spicy the celebration) gives it a pagan coloration is a different matter. I consider it irrelevant to your arguments that this is what makes the celebration of Christ birth a pagan activity. You have told us that if these decorations were taken out of Xmas, it would still be pagan. Am more interested in what makes the idea of celebrating a pagan activity. This is something you have been unable to show. You don't show that by reference to the decorations. I believe you understand what am saying.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 6:17am On Jan 05, 2013
truthislight:

i am talking on a personal level since i also observed the event.

there is no banning of eating food.

The consideration is avoidance of distraction from the significance of the day to the individual and mankind.

Those usually involved in the preparation of food in an event usually get distracted from the most important part or thing in an event.

Remember what the reply of Jesus was to martha that was busy in the preparation of food instead of listening to Jesus:

"Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word "But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: "But very little thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:38-42)

With this principle in mind it is important not to get any one distracted and miss the significance of the event.

However, if someone is able to get the "need full" or take time out without getting anybody distracted it is not bad. The priority is to apply the principles and give priority to spiritual things.

For me, personally, depending, i can take friends out later, but all this are not a hard and fast rule.

You should set priority first on spiritual things.

Thanks for the response, I wasn't expecting you to. You are a good man wink I appreciate your telling me It's a personal opinion and the attempt to provide explanation for the way the memorial is currently practiced. But can't you see that it is no longer as instructed by Christ and as practiced by the early church? It has been spiced up with the traditions of man.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 6:47am On Jan 05, 2013
plappville:

I will only present you the scripture, You have the choice, no one is forcing anything on you. Your chop chop seem very important than anything else ... grin

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

[size=14pt]2Thessalonians 3:6 ¶ Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us. 7 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;[/size]

Zikkyy who did you recieve christmas traditon from? Christ, His apostles or the Catholic church elder/elders?

Your robotic approach to reading and interpretation will not take you anywhere. It is very clear from the above that the apostles concern or focus was against practices that will lead the Christian to sin or to un-Christ-like ways. If you keep interpreting to mean any man made tradition, then you have lost or totally disconnected from the message. Traditions are unavoidable because we live in an evolving world. You cannot tell me Africans don't have traditions not in the bible, and some am sure you have adopted. What is important is the implications or impact of these traditions on your Christian life. The bible is not a checklist and our everyday living is not based on a set of written rules (dos & don'ts). The Jews lived by written rules, and we see that they had to come up with their own rules (traditions of the elders) to fill gaps in the mosaic law. These rules are sometimes in conflict with the law.

To answer your question I can tell you my Xmas tradition is not in conflict with the commandments, it does not conflict with the traditions of the apostles.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Nobody: 11:15am On Jan 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

Your robotic approach to reading and interpretation will not take you anywhere. It is very clear from the above that the apostles concern or focus was against practices that will lead the Christian to sin or to un-Christ-like ways. If you keep interpreting to mean any man made tradition, then you have lost or totally disconnected from the message. Traditions are unavoidable because we live in an evolving world. You cannot tell me Africans don't have traditions not in the bible, and some am sure you have adopted. What is important is the implications or impact of these traditions on your Christian life. The bible is not a checklist and our everyday living is not based on a set of written rules (dos & don'ts). The Jews lived by written rules, and we see that they had to come up with their own rules (traditions of the elders) to fill gaps in the mosaic law. These rules are sometimes in conflict with the law.

To answer your question I can tell you my Xmas tradition is not in conflict with the commandments, it does not conflict with the traditions of the apostles.

The xmas traditions are in conflict because they are directly and unashamedly copied from pagan religious worship- something God condemns. This cannot be whitewashed.

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 7:27pm On Jan 05, 2013
I never wanted to comment again, but the response you guys (plap n truth) are given is realy hilarious. It gives me more reason why i should celebrate xmas... Am still at the sideline, watching. *Kant wait for 2013 xmas* peace.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 8:44pm On Jan 05, 2013
@zikkyy: My position is that these stuff you mentioned were not there when Xmas was instituted. It came centuries later.

They were in use right from the original pagan feast. The log you see used to be the real log, today, its mordernised, you can buy Christmas cake in log form. The star etc....do more research on this. The winter activities are even older than the name Christmas. You can't change anything as far as Christmas is concern. Scripture foretold everything. Accept it or not. It stands. Christmas is a man tradition tagged with the name of Christ.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 8:50pm On Jan 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

Robotic? Hahaha....Now tell me, what is Christlike in Christmas? Does the Scripture supports it? This need a simple answer. Give the verse please!
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 8:55pm On Jan 05, 2013
Rich4god: I never wanted to comment again, but the response you guys (plap n truth) are given is realy hilarious. It gives me more reason why i should celebrate xmas... Am still at the sideline, watching. *Kant wait for 2013 xmas* peace.

Hahaha...you run leave ur answered questions.. grin Xmas na pagan feast. How wish he Roman Pope allow things to remain the way there were and how the Apostles left them. You for no even call any food Christmas food clothe or service ....SMH
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 8:58pm On Jan 05, 2013
TroGunn:

The xmas traditions are in conflict because they are directly and unashamely copied from pagan religious worship- something God condemns. This cannot be whitewashed.

Zikkyy got a new plan to change everything about Christmas with his words.....big dream!!
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 10:45am On Jan 06, 2013
plappville:

Hahaha...you run leave ur answered questions.. grin Xmas na pagan feast. How wish he Roman Pope allow things to remain the way there were and how the Apostles left them. You for no even call any food Christmas food clothe or service ....SMH
When i left this thread, there isnt a question that i left unanswered. You kan go back and check. For all i know... Xmas/birthday has nothing to do with paganism. Least i forget, today we catholics celebrate the feast of Epiphany (presentation of our Lord) do you care to join me in my chop chop or you kan run away and kall it paganism. Peace.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 10:41pm On Jan 06, 2013
Rich4god:
When i left this thread, there isnt a question that i left unanswered. You kan go back and check. For all i know... Xmas/birthday has nothing to do with paganism. Least i forget, today we catholics celebrate the feast of Epiphany (presentation of our Lord) do you care to join me in my chop chop or you kan run away and kall it paganism. Peace.

You asked questions on jewelry and birthday bros....Sorry i no dey do seasoning chop chop, me na everyday chop chop i dey do.... grin grin
I no fit call that paganism na......u dey do like say the Bible no do you for correction.

2 Chronicles 33:6
6 And he caused his children to pass through the fire in the valley of the son of Hinnom: also he observed times, and used enchantments, and used witchcraft, and dealt with a familiar spirit, and with wizards: he wrought much evil in the sight of the Lord, to provoke him to anger.

Una wen dey observed times with pagans na una sabi, Yahweh no like am.. wink

"Stop bringing meaningless offerings! New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations -- I cannot bear your evil assemblies. Your New Moons, festivals and your appointed feasts my soul hates. They have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them. When you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide my eyes from you; even if you offer many prayers, I will not listen" (Isa. 1:13-115, NIV).

If God can call Holidays/rest day He commanded His own people a "evil assemblies," and says that they are a "burden" to Him, and He is weary of bearing them.
And that His very "SOUL" HATES THEM! Because the way most of this people, who claim to celebrate His holy days, do not do it the way it should please God
Howmuch less Christmas that He didn't command? undecided A true paganism feast. Do you think God has changed? He still do not like feast celebrated this way!
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 8:34am On Jan 07, 2013
plappville:

You asked questions on jewelry and birthday bros....Sorry i no dey do seasoning chop chop, me na everyday chop chop i dey do.... grin grin
I no fit call that paganism na......u dey do like say the Bible no do you for correction.

6 And he caused his children to pass through the fire in the valley of the son of Hinnom: also he observed times, and used enchantments, and used witchcraft, and dealt with a familiar spirit, and with wizards: he wrought much evil in the sight of the Lord, to provoke him to anger.

"Stop bringing meaningless offerings! New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations -- I cannot bear your evil assemblies. Your New Moons, festivals and your appointed feasts my soul hates. They have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them. When you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide my eyes from you; even if you offer many prayers, I will not listen" (Isa. 1:13-115, NIV).

If God can call Holidays/rest day He commanded His own people a "evil assemblies," and says that they are a "burden" to Him, and He is weary of bearing them.
And that His very "SOUL" HATES THEM! Because the way most of this people, who claim to celebrate His holy days, do not do it the way it should please God
Howmuch less Christmas that He didn't command? undecided A true paganism feast. Do you think God has changed? He still do not like feast celebrated this way!
lol @ your response. The chronicles you quoted... Plz can you help me point out where i use witchcraft and enchantments.
The Isaiah you quoted, you should have quoted from verse 1 so what we all can see why God said He doesnt want their offering... Except if you will be accusing king David and the people of Isreal that they disobeyed God by making burnt offering at the temple or you will still accuse Zachariah the father of John of paganism cos he burnt incense to God. Am choping now, care to join me.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Rich4god(m): 8:39am On Jan 07, 2013
plappville:

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 9:21am On Jan 07, 2013
Rich4god:
lol @ your response. The chronicles you quoted... Plz can you help me point out where i use witchcraft and enchantments.
The Isaiah you quoted, you should have quoted from verse 1 so what we all can see why God said He doesnt want their offering... Except if you will be accusing king David and the people of Isreal that they disobeyed God by making burnt offering at the temple or you will still accuse Zachariah the father of John of paganism cos he burnt incense to God. Am
choping now, care to join me.

Do you observe times or not? The Scripture did mention things that God hates. One of them you are victim of observe timed.

You had better understand I said, the reason God said those words is because some of their ways are not pleasing God. Their hearts were far but yet the continue to offer him offerings and prayers. Do not change my words. I could give more details but it will be lengthy so. I briefed it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (Reply)

Jesus Prophesied and Warned: Paul is False Prophet/Messiah / How To Understand Mathew 10:34 / Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 178
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.