Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? (16066 Views)

How Open Should One Be In Marriage? / How to overcome pain of death of a parent. / How Can One Overcome The Shock Of The Death Of Ones Mum As An Only Child Of 25 Years? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Obiagu1(m): 5:58pm On Jan 06, 2013
Until the OP converses in only English with his family whenever he's talking to them on the phone, he has no issues with his wife.

Imagine a Yoruba man conversing with his family in Yoruba and expects his Ebira wife to converse with her family in Yoruba as well and not Ebira.

Is that not selfishness?

3 Likes

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by TableLeg(m): 5:58pm On Jan 06, 2013
Learn each other's language ... Find the right balance!!!
It is as simple as that, dont be daft and dont come back and ask this sort of question ever again
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by makatonison(m): 6:04pm On Jan 06, 2013
By becoming Deft n blind!!!!! Last to comment
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by makatonison(m): 6:08pm On Jan 06, 2013
By committing suicide

1 Like

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 06, 2013
Obiagu1: Until the OP converses in only English with his family whenever he's talking to them on the phone, he has no issues with his wife.

Imagine a Yoruba man conversing with his family in Yoruba and expects his Ebira wife to converse with her family in Yoruba as well and not Ebira.

Is that not selfishness?

May God bless you o! That's what Dayokanu asked him too that he has refused to answer. Is it not because his wife understands Yoruba that he is manufacturing all this drama? If she didn't understand it, would he only speak to his family members in English when she's around?
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by leonshom(m): 6:18pm On Jan 06, 2013
U are not serious @all, when u wan marry her,shey u no sabi her language then? Abi if u kal ur own family,wich language u dey 4low dem speak? See ur head like Catfish head! Otondo !
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by acume: 6:34pm On Jan 06, 2013
akumarism: I 'm a Yoruba man married to an ebira lady, our marriage has being blessed with a kid. In recent times, I discovered that she prefers communicating on phone with her family member in her local language when these people can speak and understand yoruba and english language well and knownfully well that I don't understand ebira. Each time this happens, I always feel insecured and I've sat her down and discuss this with her on several occassions but she refuse to change. Firstly,I want to know, is this feeling of mine normal and if not, kindly advise on next line of action. Thank you.
Guy, there is nothing wrong anywhere, its like that everywhere, how can you do without your mother's tongue especially when u have the opportunity of speaking your language. people derive joy in speaking their mother's tongue even you, except you want to behave like Igbo man which kills our local language, so relax or learn the language as soon as possible.
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by creativemusic: 6:43pm On Jan 06, 2013
angry grin grin grin
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by SamNelson: 6:48pm On Jan 06, 2013
Point of correction to some people here, stop spoiling the name of this tribe!! It's EBIRA and not igbira!!
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jan 06, 2013
Guy the day you married her is the day you signed up to learn Ebira.
Now instead of quietly doing you part of the learning you are here trying to change the other person.
The easiest person to change is you!

Stop wasting your time, so that ten years from now you will not be complaining. The choice of language your wife will use around people she spent years with is automatic. She does not think about it, talkless of thinking of impressing you.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:19pm On Jan 06, 2013
@OP, Don't worry, she will convert all members of her family to Yoruba for you. Now smile. cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Michrach: 7:42pm On Jan 06, 2013
Yoruba people we love their Yoruba Yoruba die ehen @op abeg talk true because of god,if it were u and your parents that knows how to speak ebira would u converse with your parent in her language,. Instead of your own ? I take god beg u be honest
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by ijeomaevan: 8:04pm On Jan 06, 2013
Broken english cry
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jan 06, 2013
Truth be told, you aren't being insecure. it's not that you don't trust, you just want to be a part of her life and communication; any spouse would want that.
personally, i think your wife isn't being considerate of your feelings. it's not about speaking in her native tongue with her family (especially in your presence). it should be about understanding your feelings and trying to make you comfortable around her.
my brother (an igbo guy) is married to an akwa-ibom lady. for that singular reason, we never communicate with my brother in igbo whenever she's around; just to make her comfortable and assure her that she's a part of us. that's what should be your wife's goal, not trying to impress her family, when she should be impressing you / making you comfortable, as she is your wife. She is now married to you, she bears your name, so you should be her primary focus and she should speak your language. Even while you learn to speak Ebira, she should also accomodate you in her communication with her family. This is a communication issue, not just a language issue. Every marriage needs open and honest communication, and that means saying things both parties will understand always. otherwise miscommunication sets in and could create distrust if it is not managed properly (that's exactly what your wife is doing).

summarily, she needs some serious marriage counselling 'cos she could loose your trust (whether or not you want to distrust her or she's yet trustworthy) if she continues in this light. a word they say ...

1 Like

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Afam4eva(m): 8:24pm On Jan 06, 2013
Reenicebay: Truth be told, you aren't being insecure. it's not that you don't trust, you just want to be a part of her life and communication; any spouse would want that.
personally, i think your wife isn't being considerate of your feelings. it's not about speaking in her native tongue with her family (especially in your presence). it should be about understanding your feelings and trying to make you comfortable around her.
my brother (an igbo guy) is married to an akwa-ibom lady. for that singular reason, we never communicate with my brother in igbo whenever she's around; just to make her comfortable and assure her that she's a part of us. that's what should be your wife's goal, not trying to impress her family, when she should be impressing you / making you comfortable, as she is your wife.

summarily, she needs some serious marriage counselling 'cos she could loose your trust (whether or not you want to distrust her or she's yet trustworthy) if she continues in this light. a word they say ...
A phone call that's not put on speaker is for the two parties communicating. Any third party is an amebo. The OP is a radio without battery.

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by EmmyDe25(m): 8:35pm On Jan 06, 2013
jammyng: I see you don't trust your wife enough.
I assume u dont knw wat d OP is goin through.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jan 06, 2013
afam4eva:
A phone call that's not put on speaker is for the two parties communicating. Any third party is an amebo. The OP is a radio without battery.
Afam, your spouse's business is your business.
The issue of communication here is not with the OP's in-laws but his wife. His in-laws may speak Ebira to their daughter but she doesn't have to respond to them in the same language, especially when she knows that her husband doesn't understand the language and he has voiced his concern over this. when you love someone and are married to the person, the person (not your children, friends or family) becomes your primary focus. I don't need to know what my in-laws say, 'cos I didn't make a vow with them, I made a vow with my spouse. Whatever is being said on the other side of the phone isn't my business, but what my spouse is saying is definitely my business. Kapish?
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jan 06, 2013
coldgate: It is very sad that a lot of pple go into marriage without the requisite maturity couples should have attained. @ poster, so just because u have married a wife,her owm parents and maybe the entire ebira community should abandon their language? Very self centered and selfish man! Why don't you learn ebira? I am Ninzo married to a mature yoruba man. He is learning my language as I am learning his. Marriage is a UNION. No more my language but our language(s). Pls.grow up and stop fishing for issues.

Ninzo? Where can they be found? Which state?
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Odunnu: 9:09pm On Jan 06, 2013
Reenicebay:
Afam, your spouse's business is your business.
The issue of communication here is not with the OP's in-laws but his wife. His in-laws may speak Ebira to their daughter but she doesn't have to respond to them in the same language, especially when she knows that her husband doesn't understand the language and he has voiced his concern over this. when you love someone and are married to the person, the person (not your children, friends or family) becomes your primary focus. I don't need to know what my in-laws say, 'cos I didn't make a vow with them, I made a vow with my spouse. Whatever is being said on the other side of the phone isn't my business, but what my spouse is saying is definitely my business. Kapish?
It is very difficult for her to revert to Yoruba when hubby is around. No, its near impossible.
All her life she's related with these people in Ebira and all of a sudden she should change?
She can mix up Yoruba and Ebira just to accomodate the nosey husband.

In my family, I speak serious pidgin English with my immediate elder and kid brothers. To my eldest sister, its hausa, and to my parents and big brother, its English. Now, I dont even mix it. Even in family meetings, I find it awkward addressing my eldest sister in English, she has that problem too. This is family. You grew up with them. Its really difficult to change

1 Like

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:11pm On Jan 06, 2013
coldgate: It is very sad that a lot of pple go into marriage without the requisite maturity couples should have attained. @ poster, so just because u have married a wife,her owm parents and maybe the entire ebira community should abandon their language? Very self centered and selfish man! Why don't you learn ebira? I am Ninzo married to a mature yoruba man. He is learning my language as I am learning his. Marriage is a UNION. No more my language but our language(s). Pls.grow up and stop fishing for issues.

Language is secondary to couple of different linguistic background, often the kids speak neither but good English, hence relevance even more downgraded.

Love is primary. OP sounds tribal and shouldn't be in such relationship.

Why is it mostly the tribal ones that go seeking inter-marriages?

1 Like

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Reference(m): 9:12pm On Jan 06, 2013
I'm sorry poster but this is what courtship is all about. You should have sorted it out then and stopped the wedding if you couldn't reach an agreement. Now its late. You're stuck with an insensitive person period. If this happens in peace time you can imagine what will happen when serious conflicts arise.

Communication and transparent ones for that matter is cardinal in any home. Husband, wife and children must be left in no doubt about what happens in the home, to one another and instantly for that matter. That is what marraige is all about and every party must sacrifice to promote these ideals.

At the very least practically every Nigerian understands pidgin english. She should use that in the home. Her dialect can be used out of ear-shot.

If on the other hand it is her parents that insist it means you have a bigger problem and I doubt if she's properly decoupled from them.
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by cecegorz(m): 9:14pm On Jan 06, 2013
Siena: It's rude to speak in a language your spouse can't understand, more so when the wife and her family have a common language with her husband - English and Yoruba. It's just as rude as whispering in the company of others.

If she chooses to communicate with her family in Ebira, knowing fully well her husband doesn't understand, she's sidelining him, cutting him out. The whole idea of marriage is INTEGRATION. Not SEPARATION. And right now, she's doing her hardest to alienate her man.

Are you kidding me? When you speak within earshot of another, and the person can hear one side of the conversation, it becomes his / her business! If you wish to have a private conversation, then you simply excuse yourself, and go to another room. It's bad manners to speak in a language alien to present company, or whisper.

My wife grew up in Lagos, so speaks Yoruba fluently. But she would NOT disrespect me by conversing in Yoruba with anyone in my presence, that's out of order. I have never told her not to do so, I've never had to, because she knows it's not right.

This is one of the reasons at work, you speak in a common language amongst your colleagues - in this case, English.
Surprises!
Personally, I don't give a hoot if my wife is having a convo with someone. She can as well speak in catalunya if she wishes, especially when I'm not involved, Knowing fully well that she'll fill me in if it's something I need to know.
That is why trust and understanding is crucial in marriage, when I know that even in my absence, my wife can never do things that will bring me pains, how much more when I'm within ear-shot.
It would be different if all of us are having the convo and they go off on a language I can't follow.
Sometimes communication needs connecting with people at a personal level, saying some things that brought/endeared you together in the first place, moreso when it's one's parents.
I think some people are too legalistic in this marriage thing, comparing casual communications at home with official language policy at work is really a bit high- handed in my opinion.

3 Likes

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 06, 2013
Reference: I'm sorry poster but this is what courtship is all about. You should have sorted it out then and stopped the wedding if you couldn't reach an agreement. Now its late. You're stuck with an insensitive person period. If this happens in peace time you can imagine what will happen when serious conflicts arise.

Communication and transparent ones for that matter is cardinal in any home. Husband, wife and children must be left in no doubt about what happens in the home, to one another and instantly for that matter. That is what marraige is all about and every party must sacrifice to promote these ideals.

At the very least practically every Nigerian understands pidgin english. She should use that in the home. Her dialect can be used out of ear-shot.

If on the other hand it is her parents that insist it means you have a bigger problem and I doubt if she's properly decoupled from them.

Maybe one of the things he loved about the woman was the fact that she also spoke his Yoruba language and somehow he expected that to drown out her Igbira culture even when discussing with her own parents.
Imagine ?
I hail the girl for not forgetting her roots
The man should suck it up
I hope she also teaches her kids her language,let him not play active part to teach them Yoruba,tomorrow he will start crying that the kids are speaking Igbira to their mother and grandmother and he feels left out grin

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jan 06, 2013
It would appear there are crossed wires here.

This is not a trust issue, it's social etiquette. You wouldn't whisper to someone with others present. And if you did, you're inardvently cutting them out, and this sends a very clear message. If they then asked what the whispering was all about, does that mean they're being nosey? Or "Amebo's" as you put it?

Whispering is no different to speaking in a language not common to all present. The both have one thing in common - they sideline and exclude those who don't understand what's being said. It's all well and good to say "it's not hubby's business", but I beg to differ. When you speak to someone within earshot of your spouse, or others, it becomes his / her / their business.

This attitude is carried further. I have Nigerian friends here, we'd be conversing in English, then another mutual friend turns up (same language as the rest of the group) and suddenly, they'll all switch to their language. I'd be standing there, forgotten, till I politely break in, and excuse myself before beating a retreat. Very rude, but I shrug it off, as I don't live with them. If it were my wife, I would be pretty annoyed.

If something isn't meant for the ears of another, then by all means excuse yourself. Excluding your husband / wife or others from a conversion you're having is plain rude.
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by cecegorz(m): 9:47pm On Jan 06, 2013
engineerd: From the responses ON here it is apparent why simple things are very difficult to achieve in Nigeria. Basic simple conversational etiquette issue and you see a lot of dim-witted responses! When one lacks the basic understanding of the issue or subject of discussion, you get a lot of charlatans giving nonsensical opinions and views! @ SIENA, you have made your point, any further attempt to convince ignoramuses on here otherwise will prove futile.
What exactly makes you think that British imposed etiquette on conversation should be binding on Nigerians?
It's enough that we speak English at work.
We are crying that most of our Languages are going extinct because of this official policy at work, now you are also expecting someone not to speak their mother tongue at home because you are the 'official' husband? It's absolutely ridiculous.
The joy of inter-tribal marriage that some too legalistic folks miss out on is the ability for the couples and the kids to learn both languages fluently and everybody becomes multi-lingual.

3 Likes

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jan 06, 2013
Siena: It would appear there are crossed wires here.

This is not a trust issue, it's social etiquette. You wouldn't whisper to someone with others present. And if you did, you're inardvently cutting them out, and this sends a very clear message. If they then asked what the whispering was all about, does that mean they're being nosey? Or "Amebo's" as you put it?

Whispering is no different to speaking in a language not common to all present. The both have one thing in common - they sideline and exclude those who don't understand what's being said. It's all well and good to say "it's not hubby's business", but I beg to differ. When you speak to someone within earshot of your spouse, or others, it becomes his / her / their business.

This attitude is carried further. I have Nigerian friends here, we'd be conversing in English, then another mutual friend turns up (same language as the rest of the group) and suddenly, they'll all switch to their language. I'd be standing there, forgotten, till I politely break in, and excuse myself before beating a retreat. Very rude, but I shrug it off, as I don't live with them. If it were my wife, I would be pretty annoyed.

If something isn't meant for the ears of another, then by all means excuse yourself. Excluding your husband / wife or others from a conversion you're having is plain rude

Nna forget this social etiquette stuff
It doesn't apply here
Social etiquette in my own bedroom?
If I cannot let my hair down and be myself in my own home,where else can I
Social etiquette dictates that I chew my food properly at the lunch room at work or in a restaurant but in my home with my family,I have the liberty to chew on my chicken bones and suck the marrows if I wish.
This is not about friends conversing and someone barges in speaking another language which I agree is very rude
This is about a woman who calls or receives a phone call from her mom and dad and speaks to them in their most comfortable language while in a private conversation
Totally different from the angle you are coming from

I work with an Israeli woman who has hebrew as her first language and while we are together,when her phone rings she speaks in Hebrew,That is her native tongue
It is her private conversation.Why should that offend me?
What will irritate me will be if she yells on top of her lungs,it will also irritate me if she did so in English.

How does one exclude a husband from a conversation that did not include him in the first place
Do you suggest this woman runs out of the house anytime her phone rings and it is her family calling
Or she tells her family never to speak to her in Igbira?

Sienna do you speak your local Nigerian dialect?
I am curious

5 Likes

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jan 06, 2013
^^^ Sister Osisi, the fact remains our habits at home invariably spill over into our working / social environment.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jan 06, 2013
Siena: ^^^ Sister Osisi, the fact remains our habits at home invariably spill over into our working / social environment.

I totally understand you
But this case is not the same as what you are describing
So if my sister Mrs Siena was from Mbaise and I call,you will prevent her from speaking to me in our Mbaise dialect
I will come to that London with Igbo text books and Akwukwo nso ( Igbo bible) and I will not leave there until you start speaking fluent Mbaise grin grin
If I have to lay hands on you and anoint you to speak Mbaise I will do it daily
As your car business is growing and lady Siena's fashion is expanding,so will Mbaise be dropping from your mouth grin
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 06, 2013
babyosisi: So if my sister Mrs Siena was from Mbaise and I call,you will prevent her from speaking to me in our Mbaise dialect
I will come to that London with Igbo text books and Akwukwo nso ( Igbo bible) and I will not leave there until you start speaking fluent Mbaise grin grin

Sis, you know me - I'm like a terrier with a bone, hehehe. grin

My mom spoke super fluent Igbo, but only when my dad and us kids were not within earshot, seing as we wouldn't understand, and she didn't wish to exclude us, God rest her soul.
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by somegirl1: 10:42pm On Jan 06, 2013
Siena:

No disrespect - why wouldn't English be a natural mode of conversation?? I don't get this - regardless of what our local languages may be, English is taught in all Nigerian schools, ahead of local dialects.

When you say "her family," doesn't that include her husband? Who comes first? When a man and woman marry, their respective partners become their immediate families.

No, she doesn't have to tell her family and friends to only speak English or Yoruba. It would be obvious if she responds to a phone call in English or Yoruba, that present company can only understand these languages, and they'll flow with it. That's how it goes.

And if you dismiss your husband's opinion as rubbish, it's going to be a rocky ride. You're telling him it's non-negotiable. And if you told him to his face his opinion doesn't count, and is rubbish, you couldn't disrespect him more, and you're inardvently giving your family and friends license to do the same.

Let's say the OP's wife works in a US Corporate setting, in a shared office, and her parents call (yes, private calls aren't encouraged at work, but they do happen). Whould she respond in Ebira, and carry on a conversation that's alien to her colleagues, or excuse herself, and take her call out of earshot? If yes, why can't the same courtesy be extended to her husband, or does he matter less?

It isn't in many households in Africa. Some people's "first language" is their local language, not English.

It's silly of the OP to expect her entire family to switch to a different language just because they happen to be able to speak and understand it.

In my opinion, nothing wrong with her speaking her language, there are after all some family issues that a spouse shouldn't be privy to.
Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 06, 2013
The way OP is complaining, something tells me if the wife should excuse herself while speaking to her folks, he will suspect her of cheating.

Let her stay there and speak the EGbiri jor!

1 Like

Re: How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? by somegirl1: 10:53pm On Jan 06, 2013
Vikin: The way OP is complaining, something tells me if the wife should excuse herself while speaking to her folks, he will suspect her of cheating.

Let her stay there and speak the EGbiri jor!

I agree

he should record ALL her conversations and get an Ebira friend to help translate. Mtschewwwww

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Are You Giving Yourself This Christmas? / Share Your Funny Childhood Behavior / Estranged Husband Breaks Into Wife's House And Carts Away All Her Properties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.