Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,364 members, 7,826,429 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. (20300 Views)

Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / Top Ten Signs You're An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by aletheia(m): 11:48pm On Jan 22, 2013
Reyginus: I hope you also know that every state practised the religion of the head then. Was their ever an atheist province in the time of king david?
There might be an officially sanctioned state religion but there was and will always be individuals who go their own way. Else Saul would not have found the witch of Endor, else there would not have been 7000 in Israel who did not bow the knee to Baal &c.

2 Likes

Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jan 22, 2013
aletheia:
There might be an officially sanctioned state religion but there was and will always be individuals who go their own way. Else Saul would not have found the witch of Endor, else there would not have been 7000 in Israel who did not bow the knee to Baal &c.
Whatever you're saying must be in line with the time of King david. Except it wasn't him who wrote the psalms. Being so, the prophet of baals issue shouldn't come up in the first place. Their are no individuals that will also go their way because they must abide by the decision of the state on every issue. I'm wondering. Are you of the opinion that all atheists are fools?

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by aletheia(m): 12:15am On Jan 23, 2013
Reyginus: Are you of the opinion that all atheists are fools?
What do you understand by the word fool as used in the Bible? See Ps 14.1 & Romans 1:19-22 for the answer.
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 12:34am On Jan 23, 2013
Romans 1 verse 21. They KNOW God, but they do not give him the honour that belongs to him, nor do they thank him. Instead their thoughts have BECOME complete nonsense, and their empty minds are filled with darkness.
This confirms my statement.

2 Likes

Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by aletheia(m): 12:41am On Jan 23, 2013
Reyginus: Romans 1 verse 21. They KNOW God, but they do not give him the honour that belongs to him, nor do they thank him. Instead their thoughts have BECOME complete nonsense, and their empty minds are filled with darkness.
Did confirms my statement.
^
I see. Stop selectively reading those verses. No one is born an atheist. Atheists become atheists from a position of seeing the evidence for God.
Didn't you see this part in verse 22: Professing themselves to be wise, [size=18pt]they became fools[/size].

As far as I am concerned: if the Bible says it, then that settles it!

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by ezme(m): 8:39am On Jan 23, 2013
aletheia:
^
I see. Stop selectively reading those verses. No one is born an atheist. Atheists become atheists from a position of seeing the evidence for God.
Didn't you see this part in verse 22: Professing themselves to be wise, [size=18pt]they became fools[/size].

Can you put this "fools" in perspective, so we are clear what you understand it to mean?
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by advocate666: 9:15am On Jan 23, 2013
Reyginus: 1. Wrong. Outraged is not the right word to use.
2. Wrong. I don't feel any.
3. Wrong. 'Laugh' is also not the right expression.
4. What is in an attribute to begin with?
5. Wrong. 'Laugh' again?
6. This one is completely wrong. As a christain, I don't look for loopholes in science, but in my study of the sciences, I meet loopholes. They are two different things.
7. That's not what I belief. The word 'entire' without any reference , is utterly wrong.
8. How do you mean exactly?
9. And these statistics are from?
10. Lol. Anybody can know the bible, but not everyone can practise its teachings on being christain.

Anony taught you well.
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 23, 2013
aletheia:
^

The bible didn't say anything like that.
What you fail to understand here is the implication of the word 'know' as used in the passage. Nobody who 'know' God can come to claim he doesn't exist thereafter. No atheist ever knew the person of God. They only think so. The people the bible spoke about in that passage were the children of God who turned away from his will. Just like some christains now, who know deep down in their heart what God is capable of, but can't stop doing evil. These are the fools of Psalm 14:1.
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 23, 2013
advocate666:

Anony taught you well.
Your obsession with Anony will do you no good.
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by advocate666: 10:40am On Jan 23, 2013
Reyginus: Your obsession with Anony will do you no good.

whatever
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by aletheia(m): 12:28pm On Jan 23, 2013
Reyginus: The bible didn't say anything like that. . .
Seeing a direct quote from Romans 1:22, you still blatantly go ahead and say: "The bible didn't say anything like that"
What Bible are you using? I can see that you are in thrall to political correctness.
Every English translation tells it as it is:

[b]
New International Version (©1984)
Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools

New Living Translation (©2007)
Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools.

English Standard Version (©2001)
Claiming to be wise, they became fools,

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
Professing to be wise, they became fools,

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
Claiming to be wise, they became fools

International Standard Version (©2012)
Though claiming to be wise, they became fools

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
And when they thought in themselves that they were wise, they became insane.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
While claiming to be wise, they became fools.[/b]

Now because you desire to be "in" with the atheist crowd and politically correct. You say the Bible didn't say anything like that, and seek to wrench the verses out of context. The language in Ps 14.1, Ps 53.1 & Romans 1:19 - 22 is clear enough:

ezme:
Can you put this "fools" in perspective, so we are clear what you understand it to mean?
^
Here is the perspective you seek:
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. . .

And fool in the Bible verse in consideration here means a stupid, wicked, impious, foolish, contemptible and vile person.

5 Likes

Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Bella3(f): 12:51pm On Jan 23, 2013
What exactly is your point Rey?
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jan 23, 2013
aletheia:
Seeing a direct quote from Romans 1:22, you still blatantly go ahead and say: "The bible didn't say anything like that"
What Bible are you using? I can see that you are in thrall to political correctness.
Every English translation tells it as it is:

[b]
New International Version (©1984)
Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools

New Living Translation (©2007)
Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools.

English Standard Version (©2001)
Claiming to be wise, they became fools,

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
Professing to be wise, they became fools,

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
Claiming to be wise, they became fools

International Standard Version (©2012)
Though claiming to be wise, they became fools

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
And when they thought in themselves that they were wise, they became insane.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
While claiming to be wise, they became fools.[/b]

Now because you desire to be "in" with the atheist crowd and politically correct. You say the Bible didn't say anything like that, and seek to wrench the verses out of context. The language in Ps 14.1, Ps 53.1 & Romans 1:19 - 22 is clear enough:

^
Here is the perspective you seek:
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. . .

And fool in the Bible verse in consideration here means a stupid, wicked, impious, foolish, contemptible and vile person.
If fool in the bible means that exactly, why then do you think the word(from Psalm 14) is exclusive to atheists?
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jan 23, 2013
Bélla3: What exactly is your point Rey?
That the bible was not speaking of atheists in Psalm 14:1. Why do you ask?
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Bella3(f): 9:55pm On Jan 23, 2013
Reyginus: That the bible was not speaking of atheists in Psalm 14:1. Why do you ask?
Cos i didnt get your point.

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jan 23, 2013
Bélla3: Cos i didnt get your point.
how about now
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jan 23, 2013
Reyginus: Ofcourse I accept it.
Let me explain it.
Psalm 14: 1.
'Fools say to themselves there is no God. They are all corrupt, and they have done terrible things; then their is no one who does what is right'.
The problem this verse always present is due to how we chose to pick out a single part of it and use it in the general.
This is a case of an event that happened in a period when atheism was yet to be felt. That being the case. Their is no way the verse could have been speaking of those who do not believe in God.
A look at the second sentence tells us that this people described as 'fools' not only know God, but also served Him and felt his presence in their lives.
The word 'corrupt' as used tells of a man who deviated from a righteous path.
Now, the thing is, these people, they worshiped and felt the power of God in their time, but due to some reasons began to lag.
They continued in their downward thrust till they left God and turned evildoers.
They lost the ability to make good judgements because of wordly things.
The part that says: ' a fool says ...', symbolizes a description of his behaviour and not what he really says.
I know is not a wrong thing to call anybody by the character they exhibit. As in, what they are.
It is even wrong not to call them so.
So, you see, the fool here is not the atheist, but the men who have felt the power and word of God in their lives but live like He doesn't exist.
are you trying to be polite or what? From your explanations, logicboy is a fool yet u are telling him u don't think he is. What exactly are trying to do bros?

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 23, 2013
Reyginus: The bible didn't say anything like that.
What you fail to understand here is the implication of the word 'know' as used in the passage. Nobody who 'know' God can come to claim he doesn't exist thereafter. No atheist ever knew the person of God. They only think so. The people the bible spoke about in that passage were the children of God who turned away from his will. Just like some christains now, who know deep down in their heart what God is capable of, but can't stop doing evil. These are the fools of Psalm 14:1.
Some one who spent 22years eating cabin biscuit and rabina while chanting hail Mary and in the name of father does not think he know God. He know God.

2 Likes

Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jan 23, 2013
Mee234:
are you trying to be polite or what? From your explanations, logicboy is a fool yet u are telling him u don't think he is. What exactly are trying to do bros?
Logicboy, might be a fool, but that's not because he's an atheist. I'm trying to erase the notion that that verse was for the atheists.
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jan 23, 2013
Mee234: Some one who spent 22years eating cabin biscuit and rabina while chanting hail Mary and in the name of father does not think he know God. He know God.
Please don't tempt me to annoy cyrexx again.
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by MrAnony1(m): 1:02am On Jan 24, 2013
Reyginus: 1. Wrong. Outraged is not the right word to use.
2. Wrong. I don't feel any.
3. Wrong. 'Laugh' is also not the right expression.
4. What is in an attribute to begin with?
5. Wrong. 'Laugh' again?
6. This one is completely wrong. As a christain, I don't look for loopholes in science, but in my study of the sciences, I meet loopholes. They are two different things.
7. That's not what I belief. The word 'entire' without any reference , is utterly wrong.
8. How do you mean exactly?
9. And these statistics are from?
10. Lol. Anybody can know the bible, but not everyone can practise its teachings on being christain.
Lovely!

cyrexx: Reyginus, will you for once try and make meaningful contribution to this thread and stop playing this anony-wannabe games by these silly questions you are asking.
Why are you getting irritated? . . . I thought you were all for questioning claims and not accepting things blindly. Why do you now have a problem with people questioning your claims?
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by MrAnony1(m): 1:13am On Jan 24, 2013
Reyginus: Pardon me cyrexx. I know I replied your post. I don't know what else you want. Where I ask questions, I only want to understand what really is meant by the terms used.
You don't have to apologize. He threw out a bunch of claims and you legitimately questioned them. The burden is upon him to explain himself.

It is unfortunate that they hope that triggering the "anonyism" cop-out will excuse their embarrassingly poor fanatical arguments.
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 1:35am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
You don't have to apologize. He threw out a bunch of claims and you legitimately questioned them. The burden is upon him to explain himself.

It is unfortunate that they hope that triggering the "anonyism" cop-out will excuse their embarrassingly poor fanatical arguments.

grin grin grin grin

Anonyism is real!
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by MrAnony1(m): 1:55am On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

grin grin grin grin

Anonyism is real!
Lol, of course it is a real excuse for your logical shortcomings
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 1:59am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Lol, of course it is a real excuse for your logical shortcomings

lmao. Anonyism, sophistry, dubious apologetics etc
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by MrAnony1(m): 2:28am On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:
lmao. Anonyism, sophistry, dubious apologetics etc
Loool, isn't it interesting how you throw your hands in the air and shout "dubious anonyism" whenever you run out of gas?
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 2:36am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Loool, isn't it interesting how you throw your hands in the air and shout "dubious anonyism" whenever you run out of gas?

I have debunked you so bad that even christians had to tell you to stop Anonynising!

Here is a gem of a quote;

https://www.nairaland.com/1141128/anonys-christian-logic-terms-tragedy/4#13545951
frank3.16:

Mr_Anony:
Lol, you have not proven that I agree neither have you proven it is nonsense. All we got from you are the usual empty tirades but funny enough you expect folks to start arguing over something you thoughtlessly blurted out. SMH

honestly speaking you are the one who has really said nothing in the past 4 pages. what do u think about the post? do u agree or not? if u agree with it, fine, arguement over. But if u dont, what is your own side of view?

Rather all i see is u asking the most stupid and annnoying question yet claiming u gat game. I am really dissapointed in you, i was hopin to learn from u on this becasue honestly this matter really bothers me as a christian. i was hoping your response would help me becasue i dont see why evil always happens and we find a way to make God look loving and good.

i lost my mum and he watched her die even after all the prayers, even after all her faith, even after hr confessing the she will live and do the work of the lord. today she is no more, i dont know where she is but i miss her like mad. yet God takes the glory, he has not done anything since then to console me and let me knoe why it was very important that he had to take her or allow the devil make me lose her.

you should thank God for @truthslight becasue he is the only that has said something meaningful while u have just been blabbing.
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by MrAnony1(m): 2:43am On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:
I have debunked you so bad that even christians had to tell you to stop Anonynising!
Lol, really? Do you even know what it means to debunk something?

Here is a gem of a quote;

https://www.nairaland.com/1141128/anonys-christian-logic-terms-tragedy/4#13545951

To which I replied:

Mr_Anony:
Hmm..........First of all I wanna say I'm sorry about what happened to your mom. Sometimes when tragedy strikes us, it hurts so much and we ask questions of God and it feels like God is ignoring us. Trust me Frank, I've been there myself too. The sad thing is that when we feel the pain, it doesn't matter how many bible verses we throw at it, the thing just won't seem to make any sense.

The truth is that right from the start, we are God's creation and our existence is far more than mere bodily existence. Troubles, sickness and death have no power over us because once we know Him, we obtain eternal life. That by far outweighs whatever light afflictions we feel today.

Think about it, the hard truth is that whether you like it or not, given enough time if Jesus tarries, both you and me and logicboy and all our friends and family as well as everyone we know will all die at one point or the other in one way or another. And some people will still cry for us and some will question God as if we were meant to live on earth forever.

If all there is to us are our physical bodies and death is just a mere ceasing to exist, then what does it matter how we live our lives if at the end we all die anyway, what would it matter if we believe in God or not or if we were serial killers and mass murderers? If in the end we all just die, why do good to anyone? Why not just live for our own pleasure alone? Why sacrifice for others and make anyone else's life better if both you and the person you are helping will eventually die in the end?

The bible tells us that there is more to us than our physical bodies. Our souls are far much more important and that is who Christ really cares about. It is for the sake of our souls that Christ sacrificed His life. It doesn't profit us anything if we live in luxury all our lives and then in the end we lose our souls. Christ did not die to make our lives more comfortable. He died to give us something much more important than physical bodily pleasure. This is why Paul can say "for me to live is Christ and to die is gain."

God is not a stranger to our pain. There are things we may not understand today but on the last day we shall see God and everything will be made clear to us. Nothing can seperate us from the love He has for us. Not sickness, trials, hardship, not even death. God's love by far outweighs all.

Frank, as long as your mother believed in Him, then her death is not the end of the story. You can be comforted that she will resurrect to life on the last day to the glory of God.
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 2:45am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:

To which I replied:

Your reply was too late and irrelevant. You had nothing on that thread. You were asking dubious questions for four pages rather than making arguments supporting or against the issue of the thread.

You were shamed by a honest christian called Frank. You were the best christian apologist and he was trying to learn from you but all he got was Anonyism.

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by MrAnony1(m): 2:59am On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:
Your reply was too late and irrelevant. You had nothing on that thread. You were asking dubious questions for four pages rather than making arguments supporting or against the issue of the thread.
My reply was to Frank in particular, I believe he would be the one in the best position to judge it's relevance and not you.

You were shamed by a honest christian called Frank. You were the best christian apologist and he was trying to learn from you but all he got was Anonyism.
Lol, seeking cheap points again are we? First of all, I never regard myself as "the best Christian apologist" and I never ask anyone to learn from me. I always point us all to Christ.

I see no shame in not accepting a baseless accusation and if demanding that you provide an explanation for an accusation that has no basis is wrong, then let me not be right.
As long as being right means accepting the nonsense you spew out without questioning them, I will happily remain wrong.

...And if "anonyism" means that you can't deal with the questions posed at you, then that's just too bad. The trouble is with your reasoning and not with me.
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 3:59am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
My reply was to Frank in particular, I believe he would be the one in the best position to judge it's relevance and not you.

Lol, seeking cheap points again are we? First of all, I never regard myself as "the best Christian apologist" and I never ask anyone to learn from me. I always point us all to Christ.

I see no shame in not accepting a baseless accusation and if demanding that you provide an explanation for an accusation that has no basis is wrong, then let me not be right.
As long as being right means accepting the nonsense you spew out without questioning them, I will happily remain wrong.

...And if "anonyism" means that you can't deal with the questions posed at you, then that's just too bad. The trouble is with your reasoning and not with me.

Anonyism is as real as Yahweh
Re: Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. by Nobody: 4:12am On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

Anonyism is as real as Yahweh
lol... I don't know what to make of this... hehehe.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Buhari Plans To Install Northerner As C.A.N Leader, Group Alleges / Truth About Crucifixion / Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.