Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,653 members, 7,820,272 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs (31109 Views)

Desert Arabs Competing In Building Skyscrapers - Biggest Clock Tower In Mecca / Arabs Will Be Guided Forever And Ever Unlike Israel / Why Are Black Africans Moslems Considered Inferior By The Arabs Moslems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 1:18am On Feb 05, 2013
^:-D
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by hadbak: 2:44am On Feb 05, 2013
@ macdaddy.., if a muslim like justaqad tinks he is loosing his identity to the arabs just by mere bearing abubakar an islamic name whc is in arab lang, then do i see ur fault?

No doubt, all men are equal n no one is disrespecting d culture of another. I don't know ur definition of disrespect of culture. Bcus d quran is revealed in arabic lang dsnt make it disrespecful to oda langes, arabic is only a lang of the quran n the messenger,

To b continue sleep is doing me..
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by MacDaddy01: 2:56am On Feb 05, 2013
hadbak: @ macdaddy.., if a muslim like justaqad tinks he is loosing his identity to the arabs just by mere bearing abubakar an islamic name whc is in arab lang, then do i see ur fault?

No doubt, all men are equal n no one is disrespecting d culture of another. I don't know ur definition of disrespect of culture. Bcus d quran is revealed in arabic lang dsnt make it disrespecful to oda langes, arabic is only a lang of the quran n the messenger,

To b continue sleep is doing me..

Must one say Salat in Arabic?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by vedaxcool(m): 6:36am On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

we are loosing it
if you are in the new york and introduce yourself as Abdul Gafar,they will all think you are arab..

So? If they think you are arab (which merely by appearance it isn't the case) does it harm you in anyway? So in essence we should fear being labeled arab more than love being called servant of Gafar? Please, this is simply empty talk, you can call your of whatever you choose or call your children whatever name you choose, but your talk is simply mute in many aspects, you don't speak arabic, you speak yoruba (even Hausa speak hausa not arabic), you don't eat arab food you eat yoruba food yet you are loosing your identity, your don't wear arab clothes, you probably wear African clothes plus english wear, yet your identity is disappearing into arab custom faster than Titanic is sinking, abegi, if you like put ola- sango grin as your first name, if that would make you feel more proud of your yoruba heritage, and you forgot to put this to your list of lost identity, the fact that we are forced to write in english another sub-dialect of arabic and that we are forced to communicate in english - a sub-dialect of arabic- most of the times, this arabs are truly sub-planting we Africans we must all start writing in yoruba and our native language to reclaim our identity, in fact we no longer use our local caleneder the arabs have seen to that so we now use jan - dec to mark our days, this arabs self DAMN them DAMN them, who do they think they are brushing our identity and stepping on our pride sef! Give me a pure water sachet let me stone the Saudi embassy and reclaim our pride back, at least the arabs would know we don't fear them! lol grin grin grin just kidding feel free to present your yoruba name first, so that New yorkers won't mistake you for an arab and push you onto a speeding train, please also wear jeans so that you look more like a New Yorker and don't say Salam even to your muslim brothers say hi or hey, but you know english is another sub - dialect of arabic, so hey don't blame me, Identity lost!

3 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:25am On Feb 05, 2013
hadbak:

I don't want to agree wit u on d bases that if u bear Abubakar u are seen as an arab, If u say a muslim I agree. No doubt d name may have an arab origin nevertheless,Arabic is the language of d Quran n d messenger, so if u bear an arabic name ur simply identifying as a muslim n not an arab.

Arabic is no greater than any other languages.Arabs were blessed because Muhammad was from Arabia.like i have stated before i want to noted as a muslim by deeds,rather than my name.

hadbak:
Its not a coincidence/mistake that d quran is in d arabic language but of Allah's desires. This is how u as a muslim shld see it rather than saying ur losing ur identity by ur name sounding arabic in nature while ur not an arab. Ur identity as a muslim shld be more important/shld superceed any identity. God creater us all into various tribes n nation but stil choose Arabic language for His religion...

there's a thin line between arabic and islam.Arabic is just a means of conveying the divine message,not an act of life. so discarding my tribal name to adopt arabic name,to me is way past the line.truth be told arabic culture has been integrated into islam,so as to make Arabic/arab look better. [/quote]

hadbak:
don't u think if He desire He could have made us into one nation/tribe? Its a blessing to the arabs for Allah to esteem Arabic language by making it d Quran language, so don't hold it against them.. If the quran language hadn't been arabic n yet d quran came from the arabs then, I wil have a problem if u bear an arab name(abubakar) else I dnt see y u shld stress ur nerves..
if i should learn arabic is solely to understand the messages of the quran.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:30am On Feb 05, 2013
hadbak: @ OP... don't forget to read/say your salat in yoruba language so that u will not loose ur identity to the Arabs..

now that's an entirely different aspect.if i should learn arabic is solely for worship purpose,nothing more.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:32am On Feb 05, 2013
MacDaddy01:

grin

Justaqad, are you seeing your muslim brethren? A blessing to be Arab?

Justaqad, you are not seeing the whole problem, only a part. The problem is that some muslims already take Arab language/culture to be divine and better than their own due to islam. Which is very wrong.

i concur at the bolded.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:35am On Feb 05, 2013
Zhul-fiqar:

however there is nothing wrong to have arabic names that are of significance to the Islamic faith.for instance it is honorable and good to name our children after the prophets or the Ahlul-bayt (as).our children can bear names like Muhammad,Ibrahim,Ali,Isa,Hassan,Hussein,Musa,and Dawood.

i dont have anything against arabic names,all i am saying is our tribal names should be our first names,then arabic names(optional).we are identified by our names.we should stop acting/feeling inferior.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:39am On Feb 05, 2013
hadbak: @ macdaddy.., if a muslim like justaqad tinks he is loosing his identity to the arabs just by mere bearing abubakar an islamic name whc is in arab lang, then do i see ur fault?

there is no such thng as islamic name...
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:53am On Feb 05, 2013
vedaxcool:

So? If they think you are arab (which merely by appearance it isn't the case) does it harm you in anyway? So in essence we should fear being labeled arab more than love being called servant of Gafar?

you embarrass me anytime you hit the keyboard.why should i feel proud claiming something i would never be? i am so proud of my race.btw yoruba have more enduring and enviable heritage than the arabs,so why shouldn't i be proud of my heritage?arabs were lucky Allah choose arabic.

vedaxcool:

Please, this is simply empty talk, you can call your of whatever you choose or call your children whatever name you choose, but your talk is simply mute in many aspects, you don't speak arabic, you speak yoruba (even Hausa speak hausa not arabic), you don't eat arab food you eat yoruba food yet you are loosing your identity, your don't wear arab clothes, you probably wear African clothes plus english wear, yet your identity is disappearing into arab custom faster than Titanic is sinking, abegi, if you like put ola- sango grin as your first name, if that would make you feel more proud of your yoruba heritage, and you forgot to put this to your list of lost identity,

have you been drinking lately.its haram

vedaxcool:
the fact that we are forced to write in english another sub-dialect of arabic and that we are forced to communicate in english - a sub-dialect of arabic- most of the times, this arabs are truly sub-planting we Africans we must all start writing in yoruba and our native language to reclaim our identity, in fact we no longer use our local caleneder the arabs have seen to that so we now use jan - dec to mark our days,
i dont have english names.if arabs colonized Nigeria, our lingua franca would definitely be arabic. whats your point? sad sad

vedaxcool:
this arabs self DAMN them DAMN them, who do they think they are brushing our identity and stepping on our pride sef! Give me a pure water sachet let me stone the Saudi embassy and reclaim our pride back, at least the arabs would know we don't fear them! lol grin grin grin just kidding feel free to present your yoruba name first, so that New yorkers won't mistake you for an arab and push you onto a speeding train, please also wear jeans so that you look more like a New Yorker and don't say Salam even to your muslim brothers say hi or hey, but you know english is another sub - dialect of arabic, so hey don't blame me, Identity lost!

i could prefer to say salam translated in yorubaso long the meaning is not lost.

YOU EMBARRASS ME ANYTIME YOU HIT THE KEYBOARD

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tbaba1234: 8:32am On Feb 05, 2013
Assalam aleikum

@Justaqad, I am sorry, i have to say this on a public forum but you have to watch the way you 'talk' sometimes. Having good 'adab' (yep, an arabic word) is very important as a muslim.

To the topic,

1. First of all, you do not have to have an arabic name if you choose not to. However, the names of some of the heroes of Islam are in Arabic, If i choose to name my child abubakr or umar or samiyya or khadija. Have I become an arab as a result or lost my identity, i have chosen names that represent people i rever and respect.

There is no compulsion on anyone to bear an arabic name and it does not take anything away from your identity, if you do. As long as the name conveys a good meaning, it could be in spanish, if you wish.

2. Arabic is the default second (or third) language of every muslim. Saying the 'arabs were lucky' Allah chose Arabic is an inappropriate thing to say. Luck has nothing to do with anything here. Everything happens by the qadr of Allah. It is reasonably clear why Arabic was chosen (and Allah knows best), It is a very, very precise and detailed language.

As a muslim, Arabic is vital to you as a language. You do not need any other part of Arab culture but the language is vital. The best books on the Quranic Arabic were written by non-arabs.

3. Non-muslims that come into Islam do not change their name. There are many, many muslims with names like peter, Julie, Josh etc. So even though they have become muslim, they still use their names. Salman al farsi is an example of that, his name still indicates his roots.

However, if muslims decide to name their kids arab names, then it is not a bad thing.

All of my names are names of prophets, my first name, middle name and last name. I also bear a yoruba name even though i am not yoruba. I am not a yoruba person, i do not identify myself as Yoruba, I do not speak a word of yoruba.

My identity has not changed. Your topic is poorly thought out. It speaks of much larger problems which you have to address.

7 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by vedaxcool(m): 8:52am On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

you embarrass me anytime you hit the keyboard.why should i feel proud claiming something i would never be? i am so proud of my race.btw yoruba have more enduring and enviable heritage than the arabs,so why shouldn't i be proud of my heritage?arabs were lucky Allah choose arabic.

Playing dodge ball are we? So? What if someone mistakes you for being an arab, how does it harm you? Oh, it hurts your pride, ouch I understand pele, I get you look like an igbo from a lot of igbos, yet I did not run to nl and start shouting my pride has been trampled upon, but I understand every once in while somebody must start a thread that is beyond his own capacity to understand!

justaqad:

have you been drinking lately.its haram

Yawns, have you been taking piggy back ride from your favorite atheist -logicboy and pagannja probably your favorite pagan! grin grin at least we could blame that on why the entire point being made to you was lost!

justaqad:

i dont have english names.if arabs colonized Nigeria, our lingua franca would definitely be arabic. whats your point? sad sad

Poor you, but it was written in english your lingua franca, hmm it must be difficult understanding what an ethnic identity really constitute!

justaqad:

i could prefer to say salam translated in yorubaso long the meaning is not lost.

And yoruba people say salam in their own language as their form of greetings? Lol grin grin I see how proud your are of you culture of course the point I was making is loss to your usually lost to your embarrassment! grin grin hehhehehehehe
You deserve another round of piggy back ride from your favorite atheist logicboy

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 9:05am On Feb 05, 2013
tbaba1234: Assalam aleikum

@Justaqad, I am sorry, i have to say this on a public forum but you have to watch the way you 'talk' sometimes. Having good 'adab' (yep, an arabic word) is very important as a muslim.
what has my adab got to do with this?it has become a norm amongst muslim to adopt arabic names which is insignificant in being a better musliim.

tbaba1234:
To the topic,

1. First of all, you do not have to have an arabic name if you choose not to. However, the names of some of the heroes of Islam are in Arabic, If i choose to name my child abubakr or umar or samiyya or khadija. Have I become an arab as a result or lost my identity, i have chosen names that represent people i rever and respect.

read my post all over again, i have nothing against arabic names.but they ought not be the first name.if on a social or chat forum,i see your displayed names as arabic,my assumptions would be you are an arab,until you clarify me.

tbaba1234:
There is no compulsion on anyone to bear an arabic name and it does not take anything away from your identity, if you do. As long as the name conveys a good meaning, it could be in spanish, if you wish.

bearing an arabic when i am yoruba takes something away.are there no heroes in Africa that arabs revere and respect so much?

tbaba1234:

2. Arabic is the default second (or third) language of every muslim. Saying the 'arabs were lucky' Allah chose Arabic is an inappropriate thing to say. Luck has nothing to do with anything here. Everything happens by the qadr of Allah. It is reasonably clear why Arabic was chosen (and Allah knows best), It is a very, very precise and detailed language.

if Muhammad (saw) was from igbo do you think igbo language wont be precise detailed as well?

tbaba1234:
As a muslim, Arabic is vital to you as a language. You do not need any other part of Arab culture but the language is vital. The best books on the Quranic Arabic were written by non-arabs.

only in aspect of worship

tbaba1234:
3. Non-muslims that come into Islam do not change their name. There are many, many muslims with names like peter, Julie, Josh etc. So even though they have become muslim, they still use their names. Salman al farsi is an example of that, his name still indicates his roots.
its a very rare case. 1/100,000 dont change their names. i have seen many reverts.

tbaba1234:
However, if muslims decide to name their kids arab names, then it is not a bad thing.
i concur,but it shouldn't displace their tribal names because they might grow up not liking it.

tbaba1234:
All of my names are names of prophets, my first name, middle name and last name. I also bear a yoruba name even though i am not yoruba. I am not a yoruba person, i do not identify myself as Yoruba, I do not speak a word of yoruba.

My identity has not changed. Your topic is poorly thought out. It speaks of much larger problems which you have to address.

sorry to say this; you need to free yourself from arab mentality. officially you are an arab.apply for a visa in any European country by mere looking at your names you are considered an arab,so yes you have lost your IDENTITY

I AM A MUSLIM NOT AN ARAB.(what larger problems are you talking about?)huh
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 9:19am On Feb 05, 2013
vedaxcool:

Playing dodge ball are we? So? What if someone mistakes you for being an arab, how does it harm you? Oh, it hurts your pride, ouch I understand pele, I get you look like an igbo from a lot of igbos, yet I did not run to nl and start shouting my pride has been trampled upon, but I understand every once in while somebody must start a thread that is beyond his own capacity to understand!

i wont give them the chance to refer to me as arab.besides i dont look like one. i dont want to look like one.i am so proud of my heritage.
i have got igbo blood running in me, so to say i am (hybrid)lol......
you sure embarrass me whenever you hit the keyboard. you think you know it all abi?smh

vedaxcool:
Yawns, have you been taking piggy back ride from your favorite atheist -logicboy and pagannja probably your favorite pagan! grin grin at least we could blame that on why the entire point being made to you was lost!

do you want to know what i have been taking? i have been inhaling consciousness and tolerance. i cant over-ride my heritage not for anything.
logicboi or pagan9ja,i admire their zeal though they are yet to see and embrace the truth.or you want me to act like you that segregate from people because of belief? you see one of my rich cultural heritage,we value tolerance.

vedaxcool:
Poor you, but it was written in english your lingua franca, hmm it must be difficult understanding what an ethnic identity really constitute!

you need to reclaim your school fees from whomever you payed to.

vedaxcool:
And yoruba people say salam in their own language as their form of greetings? Lol grin grin I see how proud your are of you culture of course the point I was making is loss to your usually lost to your embarrassment! grin grin hehhehehehehe
You deserve another round of piggy back ride from your favorite atheist logicboy

and if patience Jonathan uttered this gibberish,Nigerians would want to crucify her.lol

for your information i am a conscious muslim.

4 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by vedaxcool(m): 9:48am On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

for your information i am a conscious muslim.

Yes indeed even the atheist logicboy attest to your level of consciousness of Islam, maybe you were too embarrassed to notice, heheheheheheheh grin grin grin now go piggy back riding on your favorite atheist! Your thread has no merit and lacks coherence!

3 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 9:58am On Feb 05, 2013
vedaxcool:

Yes indeed even the atheist logicboy attest to your level of consciousness of Islam, maybe you were too embarrassed to notice, heheheheheheheh grin grin grin now go piggy back riding on your favorite atheist! Your thread has no merit and lacks coherence!

i am no bigot,extremist.....
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by vedaxcool(m): 10:08am On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

i am no bigot,extremist.....

Have you clarified that with logicboy?

grin grin grin
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 10:16am On Feb 05, 2013
vedaxcool:

grin grin grin

no need for that.. my post says it all.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by MacDaddy01: 10:17am On Feb 05, 2013
vedaxcool:

grin grin grin

Vedaxcool is pained.

More grease to your elbow Justaqad!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 10:24am On Feb 05, 2013
MacDaddy01:

Vedaxcool is pained.

More grease to your elbow Justaqad!

I KNOW HE IS.not every muslim shares the same view with him.he is ............

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 10:35am On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

there is no such thng as islamic name...

Google search of the phrase "Islamic name" yields about 338,000,000 results. Yet, no such thing exists according to you- I laugh in Arabic.

5 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 10:44am On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

Google search of the phrase "Islamic name" yields about 338,000,000 results. Yet, no such thing exists according to you- I laugh in Arabic.

it is a norm.
Allah never sanctioned such.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by vedaxcool(m): 10:48am On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

How dare you laugh in arabic? You are only allowed to laugh in Yoruba, now you just hurt somebody's pride and allowed yourself to be mistaken for an arab! Please modify your post, to reflect my concerns, even though we all hypocritically write in english, we must never be identified as arab, you know we all have english blood flowing down our veins! grin grin grin and truly this is my understanding of justaqad point! Hehehehhehhe
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 10:52am On Feb 05, 2013
vedaxcool:

How dare you laugh in arabic? You are only allowed to laugh in Yoruba, now you just hurt somebody's pride and allowed yourself to be mistaken for an arab! Please modify your post, to reflect my concerns, even though we all hypocritically write in english, we must never be identified as arab, you know we all have english blood flowing down our veins! grin grin grin and truly this is my understanding of justaqad point! Hehehehhehhe

YOU REALLY EMBARRASS ME WHENEVER YOU HIT THE KEYBOARD. WITH YOUR LIKES AT THE HELM OF ISLAMIC AFFAIRS,I FEAR........
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tbaba1234: 10:55am On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:
what has my adab got to do with this?it has become a norm amongst muslim to adopt arabic names which is insignificant in being a better musliim.

Your adab in relating with people online is not the best. There are so many things you say that are inappropriate and should not be coming from a muslim. It is not to put you down but i am been straight with you.

You need to learn to speak better.

read my post all over again, i have nothing against arabic names.but they ought not be the first name.if on a social or chat forum,i see your displayed names as arabic,my assumptions would be you are an arab,until you clarify me.

Untrue, people from across the world bear arabic names. There are probably more non-arabs bearing arab names than the total population of arabia. If i hear an arab name, The first assumption is that the person is muslim not arab. Pakistanis, Indians, malaysians, Turks etc ...

So no, hearing an arab name identifies you more as a muslim than an arab. Arabic and Islam are not separable.

bearing an arabic when i am yoruba takes something away.are there no heroes in Africa that arabs revere and respect so much?

No, they are not on the level of the people. i mentioned

If you truly understood the struggles those people made for the deen you profess, then you will not say this.

if Muhammad (saw) was from igbo do you think igbo language wont be precise detailed as well?

Again, there are no 'ifs' or luck here. It is the qadr of Allah. There was a reason for the sophistication of the Arabic language, Allah allowed the conditions that made the language so profound.

only in aspect of worship

Actually, more than that... Every muslim should study some arabic because you would understand Allah's book better that way. Translations do not do the Quran justice at all. Allah's words can not be fully translated.

its a very rare case. 1/100,000 dont change their names. i have seen many reverts.

Where did you get your statistics from?? I am pretty sure, i have seen more reverts than you and you statistics does not hold up. In any case, whether they change their name or not. It is not a big deal.

sorry to say this; you need to free yourself from arab mentality. officially you are an arab.apply for a visa in any European country by mere looking at your names you are considered an arab,so yes you have lost your IDENTITY

Again, you come with this shallow thought process... Everyone from my village bears an arabic name and you will find that across the muslim world. No one will mistake you for an arab if you bear an arabic name. There are probably more people bearing arab names than the population of Arabs. Anyone who makes that kind of assumption is probably thinking shallow as well.

Besides your example is poor as my passport already indicates my nationality.

As regards the larger problems, you will have to look within yourself and do a self-evaluation.

5 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by vedaxcool(m): 11:00am On Feb 05, 2013
Lol grin grin mr. Embarrassment! How do we make your 'embarrassness' less embarrassing than the word embarrassment that is if your keyboard is not embarrassing! Lol grin
justaqad:

YOU REALLY EMBARRASS ME WHENEVER YOU HIT THE KEYBOARD. WITH YOUR LIKES AT THE HELM OF ISLAMIC AFFAIRS,I FEAR........
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 11:21am On Feb 05, 2013
tbaba1234:

Your adab in relating with people online is not the best. There are so many things you say that are inappropriate and should not be coming from a muslim. It is not to put you down but i am been straight with you.

You need to learn to speak better.

i see no wrong in how i presented my case. arabic names have become a norm in our society. especially among nigerian muslims.
mind outlining the things i said that are inappropriate?

tbaba1234:
Untrue, people from across the world bear arabic names. There are probably more non-arabs bearing arab names than the total population of arabia. If i hear an arab name, The first assumption is that the person is muslim not arab. Pakistanis, Indians, malaysians, Turks etc ...

So no, hearing an arab name identifies you more as a muslim than an arab. Arabic and Islam are not separable.
it has become a norm amongst muslims,that bearing arabic names makes you more muslim.

tbaba1234:
No, they are not on the level of the people. i mentioned

If you truly understood the struggles those people made for the deen you profess, then you will not say this.

true they are not on the same level, but there are africans worthy of emulation.even afrians dont revere them.

tbaba1234:

Actually, more than that... Every muslim should study some arabic because you would understand Allah's book better that way. Translations do not do the Quran justice at all. Allah's words can not be fully translated.
what interests me in studying Arabic is solely for the purpose of worship. not their life style.

tbaba1234:
Where did you get your statistics from?? I am pretty sure, i have seen more reverts than you and you statistics does not hold up. In any case, whether they change their name or not. It is not a big deal.

you can do better than this.stop lying.most muslims reverts adopt arabic names.

tbaba1234:
Again, you come with this shallow thought process... Everyone from my village bears an arabic name and you will find that across the muslim world. No one will mistake you for an arab if you bear an arabic name. There are probably more people bearing arab names than the population of Arabs. Anyone who makes that kind of assumption is probably thinking shallow as well.

@bolded BE SINCERE,HOW MANY NON-MUSLIM ARABS BEAR ARABIC NAMES?i will leave that to you.

tbaba1234:
Besides your example is poor as my passport already indicates my nationality.

at first glance anyone will think you are arab...

tbaba1234:
As regards the larger problems, you will have to look within yourself and do a self-evaluation.
i would never conceal truth because arabs are at stake.

BY THE WAY. ISLAM IS A UNIVERSAL RELIGION NOT AN ARAB THING. IT IS EVIDENT MOST ARAB CULTURE HAS CREPT INTO ISLAM.

REGARDING YOUR ASSUMED LARGER PROBLEM, I ALWAYS ASK ALLAH TO MAKE ME A BETTER MUSLIM. (I THINK YOU SHOULD MAKE IT YOUR PRAYER POINT TOO)

3 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 11:23am On Feb 05, 2013
vedaxcool:
Lol grin grin mr. Embarrassment! How do we make your 'embarrassness' less embarrassing than the word embarrassment that is if your keyboard is not embarrassing! Lol grin

REALLY WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE YOU.

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 2:25pm On Feb 05, 2013
Wha da crap is this "To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam "?

Anywaz. . . . . I doubt the OP is Yoruba. I've never had to wonder about a YORUBA person's lineage. Focus on the Hausas and Fulanis abeg.

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by ayinba1(f): 2:27pm On Feb 05, 2013
I will read the rest of the post.
OP, you may need to understand the significance of the Arabic language in Islam, in matters of life on earth, dying and in the hereafter. My children have a first muslim name, middle American name and a muslim surname. They love iyan and amala. There is nothing reducing their Yorubaness.

I do not agree with your viewpoint but you have absolute right to them.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Bella3(f): 2:27pm On Feb 05, 2013
I am so liking this thread.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 2:27pm On Feb 05, 2013
Offensive to Islam ? Is Islam now deciding my tone ? I think its irrational for one to even bear the names of any religious figure, whether its Jesus or Mohammed. Both are Arabic religions and we are Africans. We must preserve our culture and identity at all cost.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Do You Know Who Killed Abu Jahl ? ¿ It Was Children ! Click To Read More / How An American Lady Converted To Islam / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.