Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,458 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs - Islam for Muslims (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs (31092 Views)

Desert Arabs Competing In Building Skyscrapers - Biggest Clock Tower In Mecca / Arabs Will Be Guided Forever And Ever Unlike Israel / Why Are Black Africans Moslems Considered Inferior By The Arabs Moslems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 3:39pm On Feb 05, 2013
Nike93: Whats the purpose of this thread? Op if u don't like the arrangement of ur name,go to the nearest npc office and change it , when u have kids too name them as you please but leave others alone u cn't force ur belief ön anybody. Shikena

sometimes i cry at the intellectual decadency of most muslims.
your brain is not just there for composing sms or pings,use the logical part of your brain for critical thinking.
or better still rent it to the nearest clinic,you might hit a jackpot
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by dejavume: 3:41pm On Feb 05, 2013
well said,the article or wateva is well said.
it happens in the north and those claiming to-be among d yorubas
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tpia5: 3:41pm On Feb 05, 2013
bukatyne: The OP never said Arabic names are bad; He said they should be middle names and not first names.

Tribe is very important to the arab identity, i doubt arabs themselves would have a problem with it. Its usually immigrants or new converts who would switch to exclusively arabic names in that manner at the expense of tribe. Could be wrong but thats what i think.

Hausas typically have exclusively arab names but thats because they are mixed with arab and are considered araboid.

Sometimes we should avoid thinking we know better than our forefathers- could be true in some areas, but not all.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 3:44pm On Feb 05, 2013
Pearlsome: Justaquad,

Can I advise that this is not a topic you can win as most of our brothers in Islam will never see to your argument no matter how reasonable the explanation you put forward. Just listen to the open minded and reasonable ones. All the blinded and dogmatic ones. Ignore!

Having worked with many Arabs, I have seen the educated and reasonable ones question such acts. Many would contend that Islam is our faith and it is a Universal one. As much as Islam is premised on promoting a universal culture of oneness, peace, love, progress and equality. It is not based on a universal principle of eliminating people's culture and names as long as they are not in direct confrontation with the authority of Allah.

I think this subject is more about culture. Modern day Muslims are now confusing themselves with the cultures,thinking and ways of lives of the Arabs and that is a big problem as it is giving chance to warped logics and low mentality and practices like Sufism which is a big problem for Islam and the world today.

I repeat any Muslim who believes that Islamic names should be their first name should also adopt Arabic as their first language. They should wear Jalabab and not Buba as their preferred clothes. And should pray in Arabic not Yoruba.

And who says you have to pray in Arabic.

Deluded Muslims!

I am a Muslim so don't call me names - but we know those who are deluded.

i concur to your assessment.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by hadbak: 3:45pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

first of all there is no such thing as islamic names,they are all norms,trying to make the arab race superior. secondly Islam is a universal religion,not an arab thing.
i am a proud muslim and i rep my race.OMO YORUBA(IGBO) NI MI.i am proud of my heritage.adopting arabic names does not make me a better muslim.
names like Olanrewaju,Bisola,Temitope all have desirable meanings.
ur acusations are malicious. ur just beefing d arabs. Arabic is d language of d quran, its not just an arab thing, that's d angle u shld look at it from. Islam supercedes any culture or tradditn, Its language is arabic, take it or leave it.

NB: u shld imbibe speaking arabic in ur day to day life not English/yoruba..LOL!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by cheikh: 3:46pm On Feb 05, 2013
Okija juju
Persians (Arabs) own Islam & Jews own Christianity.

@^^ Persians are not Arabs wink. their original faiths/religions- Bahaism, Zoroastrianism and others but Islam is an "acquired"/imported faith in Persia(Iran) hence some very fundamentalist Iranians are against "Islam"=Arab" faith and influence in what they see as against their "high" and older civiisation wink.

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Umamman1(m): 3:47pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

you just spoke my mind.
*standing ovation*
I have two yoruba friends,one is Bolade and the other one is Bolade.pls which is the male among this two coz the are opposte sex but have the same name.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tpia5: 3:49pm On Feb 05, 2013
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by neey1051(m): 3:50pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

@bolded, something like that. He says Herbert Macaulay and [b]Henry Carr [/b]stopped being Yoruba men because of their English names. Fascinating mindset- I guess Barack Obama is not American too, Donald Trump might want to adopt OP. grin
But come to think of it i thought herbert macaulay was from southern part of nigeria(south south are synonymous with english names) and henry carr british until now...i think i support justaqad on this...Man thumbs up smiley smiley
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by stuhporh: 3:51pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

now this is weirder

NAME: AHMAD RAZAQ ABUBAKAR
NATIONALITY: NIGERIAN

NOW THAT IS WEIRDER.

without pictures i'll say hes arab. but now that he says he is Hausa, i know

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by hadbak: 3:52pm On Feb 05, 2013
demmie1:

Iranians don't worship in arabic, they worship in persians.
lier!!!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nike93(f): 3:53pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

sometimes i cry at the intellectual decadency of most muslims.
your brain is not just there for composing sms or pings,use the logical part of your brain for critical thinking.
or better still rent it to the nearest clinic,you might hit a jackpot
chei hope u didn't hurt ur brain trying to come up with this. U better tell us your real problem,we might be able to help u know
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tpia5: 3:54pm On Feb 05, 2013
I actually like the ethnic version of arab names, maybe because i'm in diaspora, not sure.

And come to think of it, even hausas do have similar formats on occasion, like ahmadu for ahmad.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by stuhporh: 3:55pm On Feb 05, 2013
aribisala0:
So because someone is different from YOU,THE GREAT YOU, in how they see the world or react to events they are "INSECURE"

Look at your post and see how many times you refer to YOURSELF. This thread is NOT about YOU

I see nothing insecure in what he posted but a lot of that in YOU!! Your first words are direct and disrespectful clearly indicating a lack of self respect and disregard for others. you are the one with BIG ISSUES

@Aribisala on point.
This why i dont comment on this NL

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by cheikh: 3:55pm On Feb 05, 2013
tpia@
Hausas typically have exclusively arab names but thats because they are mixed with arab and are considered araboid.

@^^ Hausas except a few of them in Southern Zaria were totally conquered/ converted to Islam and most of them are not mixed with Arabs but Fulani. Even Sudan is not very mixed up racially but religiously they are 97% Islam.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 4:00pm On Feb 05, 2013
hadbak: @ OP... don't forget to read/say your salat in yoruba language so that u will not loose ur identity to the Arabs..
WORD!!!

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by donwilz(m): 4:00pm On Feb 05, 2013
hadbak: ur acusations are malicious. ur just beefing d arabs. Arabic is d language of d quran, its not just an arab thing, that's d angle u shld look at it from. Islam supercedes any culture or tradditn, Its language is arabic, take it or leave it.

NB: u shld imbibe speaking arabic in ur day to day life not English/yoruba..LOL!
I am no muslim, but what you are saying in essence is the allah will not understand you when you speak in other languages, apart from arabic?. This is the height of ignorance and complex issues. The Op is spot on IMHO. This also applies to Christians! I don't get the logic in bearing alien names. I was laughed at in my high school days because i have no English name.. What happened to our pride ? God created all mankind equally. That is the beauty of diversity. Don't you ask yourselves , why God/Allah didn't make us all a single race? This is the beauty of his creation.. DIVERSITY.. Never forget your roots!

4 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by hadbak: 4:04pm On Feb 05, 2013
demmie1:

So if every one in the world is a muslim, should every one now start speaking only arabic as their first language? no, this will eventually push arabic as the superior>superior culture, which english is doing now to Nigerians. I fully support justaquad points.
Yeas, its d language of the quran n our dear prophet(pbuh) n it should superceed any language. I love my language but I love the lang of d quran n our dear prophet more. period!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:06pm On Feb 05, 2013
Umamman1: I have two yoruba friends,one is Bolade and the other one is Bolade.pls which is the male among this two coz the are opposte sex but have the same name.

thats a unisex name...
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 4:06pm On Feb 05, 2013
ayinba1:

C'mon now, Barack is now English?

Tell him Madam... tell him. cheesy
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by kufre2010: 4:07pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji: OP, I am guessing your surname is also 'seen' as "Arabic" such as 'Lawal', 'Thanni' and the likes. If ur answering everythng then u hv no identity. No wonda one english man say africa has no culture afta they have change all our name 2 their language. God no like our language abi. Africans wake up

I think you are just an insecure individual. I use virtually all my names. Even some people call me other names that are not mine.

I have this neighbour that calls me 'Biodun', that is not my name. For some reason she cannot remember any of my names whether it is Arabic, Yoruba or Chinese. I just respond and laugh within myself anytime she does so.

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:07pm On Feb 05, 2013
donwilz: I am no muslim, but what you are saying in essence is the allah will not understand you when you speak in other languages, apart from arabic?. This is the height of ignorance and complex issues. The Op is spot on IMHO. This also applies to Christians! I don't get the logic in bearing alien names. I was laughed at in my high school days because i have no English name.. What happened to our pride ? God created all mankind equally. That is the beauty of diversity. Don't you ask yourselves , why God/Allah didn't make us all a single race? This is the beauty of his creation.. DIVERSITY.. Never forget your roots!

well said. thumbs up
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Anvaller: 4:08pm On Feb 05, 2013
Justaqad.. I am solidly behind you, I would have started exactly similar thread but I just didnt have time but its good that u did. Ur argument is very straight forward the opponents are just going against u because they find it dificult to digest a point contrary to the mainstream. Meanwhile, the mainstream doesn't always make sense.

Now let's get this clear, a guy asked sarcastically that why not also pray in Yoruba? I am telling you I am on the research right now and as soon as I conclude my research and the result clears the way for me to start praying in Yoruba, surely I would without hesitating. I am just researching it to be very sure of what I am doing. I have also taken that decision to relegate my "muslim name" to 2nd name in fact I am thinking of eliminating it completely if I renew my passport this year. Those are not an obligation in Islamic faith. I have loved my muslim name since and in fact I personally made it my 1st name not my parents. But as soon as I discovered (cos I wont stop asking questions)that my decision then was based on absolute misconception, I was not in love with that name any more. Not because I am no more a muslim but because I shouldn't be an arabic muslim. And to those thinking is not a problem, it is a problem because I know in Nigeria for e.g ppl would even say stuffs like "wow u r a muslim, u dont even dress like one" yes of course because those who parade themselves as real muslims do not only adopt arabic names but also dress like the arabians at varying degrees. So if u do not have at least the white cap on.. then u r not a muslim... we should free ourselves of all these irrelevant things.

It is better to rediscover ur islamic faith and be simply a muslim that God wants u to be and not a muslim the society and the arabians are making you to be. The former is the ultimate while the latter is grave.

5 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:08pm On Feb 05, 2013
hadbak:
Yeas, its d language of the quran n our dear prophet(pbuh) n it should superceed any language. I love my language but I love the lang of d quran n our dear prophet more. period!

arabic is the language of the language,but i cant love arabic mmore than Yoruba.Islam is my religion Yoruba is my language.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by aribisala0(m): 4:09pm On Feb 05, 2013
stuhporh:

@Aribisala on point.
This why i dont comment on this NL
Well an uncle once said it is important to have children because if you don't the children of foolish people will inherit the world. Even though they are in the majority on NL it is still worth speaking from time to time

4 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by olutunde12(m): 4:10pm On Feb 05, 2013
[quote author=maclatunji]

I am getting your position now but you are getting it wrong by stating that using Muslim first names is losing your identity to Arabs. That would be correct if names as 'mac bin tunji' were pervasive amongst Yoruba people. Islam is a total concept and nothing identifies you as a Muslim more than your first name.

Well Herbert Macauley and others had their Yoruba names. The oyinbos changed those names b4 they could assist them bos they said the names were evil.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:11pm On Feb 05, 2013
Anvaller: Justaqad.. I am solidly behind you, I would have started exactly similar thread but I just didnt have time but its good that u did. Ur argument is very straight forward the opponents are just going against u because they find it dificult to digest a point contrary to the mainstream. Meanwhile, the mainstream doesn't always make sense.

Now let's get this clear, a guy asked sarcastically that why not also pray in Yoruba? I am telling you I am on the research right now and as soon as I conclude my research and the result clears the way for me to start praying in Yoruba, surely I would without hesitating. I am just researching it to be very sure of what I am doing. I have also taken that decision to relegate my "muslim name" to 2nd name in fact I am thinking of eliminating it completely if I renew my passport this year. Those are not an obligation in Islamic faith. I have loved my muslim name since and in fact I personally made it my 1st name not my parents. But as soon as I discovered (cos I wont stop asking questions)that my decision then was based on absolute misconception, I was not in love with that name any more. Not because I am no more a muslim but because I shouldn't be an arabic muslim. And to those thinking is not a problem, it is a problem because I know in Nigeria for e.g ppl would even say stuffs like "wow u r a muslim, u dont even dress like one" yes of course because those who parade themselves as real muslims do not only adopt arabic names but also dress like the arabians at varying degrees. So if u do not have at least the white cap on.. then u r not a muslim... we should free ourselves of all these irrelevant things.

It is better to rediscover ur islamic faith and be simply a muslim that God wants u to be and not a muslim the society and the arabians are making you to be. The former is the ultimate while the latter is grave.

my hopes are high. its better you reason with your head not your hand.
great one bro

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by hadbak: 4:13pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

arabic is the language of the language,but i cant love arabic mmore than Yoruba.Islam is my religion Yoruba is my language.
beef!!! Simple..
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:14pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

Tell him Madam... tell him. cheesy

its African, so what? Husein isn't his first name
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:15pm On Feb 05, 2013
hadbak: beef!!! Simple..

there is no beef bro.
i simply love my root more than any other.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 4:16pm On Feb 05, 2013
ayinba1:

C'mon now, Barack is now English?

the name Barack is african,Obama is Afrcan American.
Husein aint his first name

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Do You Know Who Killed Abu Jahl ? ¿ It Was Children ! Click To Read More / How An American Lady Converted To Islam / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.