Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,433 members, 7,819,560 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs (31104 Views)

Desert Arabs Competing In Building Skyscrapers - Biggest Clock Tower In Mecca / Arabs Will Be Guided Forever And Ever Unlike Israel / Why Are Black Africans Moslems Considered Inferior By The Arabs Moslems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 3:01pm On Feb 05, 2013
According to OP's logic, Barack Hussein Obama is an Arab or an Arab Stooge. He definitely cannot be an American. Donald Trump will be so glad when he reads this. He has a great disciple in Justaqad.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 3:01pm On Feb 05, 2013
Peacefullife: Bearing muslim names does not mean you are losing your identity to arabs. it means you are a proud muslim.

However, there are some names you will bear that are Haram in Islam. For instance, the name Ifatobi or Ogunshomi which promotes that other deities are supreme are completely Haram and muslims should not bear them.

Mind you, the Prophet (SAW) said the best of names are Abdul......

My advice

first of all there is no such thing as islamic names,they are all norms,trying to make the arab race superior. secondly Islam is a universal religion,not an arab thing.
i am a proud muslim and i rep my race.OMO YORUBA(IGBO) NI MI.i am proud of my heritage.adopting arabic names does not make me a better muslim.
names like Olanrewaju,Bisola,Temitope all have desirable meanings.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 3:03pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

Got you didn't I. grin

lol. i am different grin grin grin
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 3:05pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji: According to OP's logic, [b]Barack[/b] Hussein Obama is an Arab or an Arab Stooge. He definitely cannot be an American. Donald Trump will be so glad when he reads this. He has a great disciple in Justaqad.

now you are getting the message, HUSSEIN is his second name. he is american, so he is repping his race.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by daywatcher: 3:05pm On Feb 05, 2013
@op...why did you start with and end ur post with Asalamualaikum and Ma salaam respectively? Do we not have a yoruba way of Greeting?

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by ayinba1(f): 3:09pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

now you are getting the message, HUSSEIN is his second name. he is american, so he is repping his race.

C'mon now, Barack is now English?

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tintingz(m): 3:10pm On Feb 05, 2013
One igbo woman asked of my name and i told her my muslim name. . . . .the next she says was ''are you from kwara state'' grin

*in mind* No...am from south korea grin

Confused ibo woman maybe na only kwara dey bear muslim name among the yorubas tongue . . . . .i use both my muslim name and yoruba name, what is disturbing bearing an arab name doesnt make you an arab anyway

Op go and ask bankole willington a.k.a banky w why him papa still dey bear wilington Or ask bukky wright

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Pearlsome: 3:11pm On Feb 05, 2013
Justaqad peace be upon you for bringing this all important subject to the fore.

I am a Muslim and I am always worried to see our God given culture/heritage out of which comes our names been relegated for a foreign Arabic one.
The truth is as simple as you put it. Our Yoruba names should be first and any other names should be classified as (other) whether you're Muslim or Christian. Islam is a religion. Simple! And the core of it is to make us realize the existence of a supreme being and to worship him and not to do that by identify but by the purity of our hearts and truthfulness to his worship. It wouldn't be a problem if only few Muslims would bear their Islamic identities but the rate is alarming, virtually 70% of Muslims do it and that can be threatening to the future of our culture and heritage.

Don't mind all those nonsensical and irrational justifications up there.
Our ethnic, cultural names should be our first call. As long as an Arab will not be Akinwale or Oluwatunmishe as their first name.
Why should we in an increasing number be Mohammedul Khaled. Abdul Basit. Al Gafur, etc.

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Bella3(f): 3:13pm On Feb 05, 2013
tintingz: na every thread you dey like tongue
Any thread wey sweet megrin
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by cheikh: 3:15pm On Feb 05, 2013
[bmaclatunji[/b]
I guess by your logic, Herbert Macaulay and Henry Carr stopped being Yoruba men because of their English names.

@^^ You may be right but there are no conclusive evidence that they are Yoruba/Nigerian either. They were returnee ex slaves via Sierra- Leone to NIgeria as missionaries. Most returnee ex slave immigrants tried a little too hard to ingratiate themselves with the "Locals" by making spurious claims about their identities/origins just like our later day "Africans" in diaspora(North & South America) grin. Only DNA can prove their origins conclusively- perhaps wink.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 3:16pm On Feb 05, 2013
Pearlsome: Justaqad peace be upon you for bringing this all important subject to the fore.

I am a Muslim and I am always worried to see our God given culture/heritage out of which comes our names been relegated for a foreign Arabic one.
The truth is as simple as you put it. Our Yoruba names should be first and any other names should be classified as (other) whether you're Muslim or Christian. Islam is a religion. Simple! And the core of it is to make us realize the existence of a supreme being and to worship him and not to do that by identify but by the purity of our hearts and truthfulness to his worship. It wouldn't be a problem if only few Muslims would bear their Islamic identities but the rate is alarming, virtually 70% of Muslims do it and that can be threatening to the future of our culture and heritage.

Don't mind all those nonsensical and irrational justifications up there.
Our ethnic, cultural names should be our first call. As long as an Arab will not be Akinwale or Oluwatunmishe as their first name.
Why should we in an increasing number be Mohammedul Khaled. Abdul Basit. Al Gafur, etc.

you just spoke my mind.
*standing ovation*

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by hadbak: 3:17pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

now that's an entirely different aspect.if i should learn arabic is solely for worship purpose,nothing more.
fine! If u learn Arabic for worship purpose dat means d lang must be IMPORTANT to u. Y can't u worship in ur own lang? Is it bcus ur lang is not important in worship? No! God choose arabic for His religion n He alone knows y n dts it. I want u to understand dat arabic is an islamic lang(permit me to say) n not just an arab thing. Stop beefing d arabs. U shld be proud n happy to bear an arabic name which is better n safer for u so long as d name is not evil or meaningless...

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 3:20pm On Feb 05, 2013
tintingz: One igbo woman asked of my name and i told her my muslim name. . . . .the next she says was ''are you from kwara state'' grin

whats your name and where are you from?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Umamman1(m): 3:20pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad: Asalam Alaykum.

Islam is a religion not just to he Arabs but to the whole world,Simply by saying 'there is no god apart from God.

شَهِدَ اللّهُ أَنَّهُ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ وَالْمَلاَئِكَةُ وَأُوْلُواْ الْعِلْمِ قَآئِمَاً بِالْقِسْطِ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ

God bears witness that there is no other god besides Him, and so do the angels and those who possess knowledge."(Verse 3:18)

there is a trend among Muslims which i find not just disturbing but wrong.muslims are submitters to the will of Allah not to the will of Arabs.
we are loosing our identity to the Arabs.the essence of naming is for Identity.when i hear the name Chidi,i know he is Igbo by tribe.but it would be difficult to tell whether Gafar that resides in Oshodi is yoruba,igbo,hausa or Arab.
i fear we are loosing our cultural heritage to the Arabs.i beg to differ there is no such thing as Islamic name.i am not saying Arabic names are bad,but we ought not loose our identity.
i grew up with an Arabic name as my first name,whenever i say my first name,people start asking are you Hausa?it will take me me some seconds to introduce my self.i have since adopted my tribal name as my first,arabic second.
i am proud of my race,i am proud to be called Yoruba.i am not loosing it,not for anything.

Masalam
justacad am sorry to say but you don't really know what you are saying.you can change your name to Ojukwu'its its all your choice but, I strongly advice you wake up. There nothing like Arab name.Go and learn more adeen.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by demmie1: 3:20pm On Feb 05, 2013
hadbak:

I don't want to agree wit u on d bases that if u bear Abubakar u are seen as an arab, If u say a muslim I agree. No doubt d name may have an arab origin nevertheless, Arabic is the language of d Quran n d messenger, so if u bear an arabic name ur simply identifying as a muslim n not an arab. Its not a coincidence/mistake that d quran is in d arabic language but of Allah's desires. This is how u as a muslim shld see it rather than saying ur losing ur identity by ur name sounding arabic in nature while ur not an arab. Ur identity as a muslim shld be more important/shld superceed any identity. God creater us all into various tribes n nation but stil choose Arabic language for His religion... don't u think if He desire He could have made us into one nation/tribe? Its a blessing to the arabs for Allah to esteem Arabic language by making it d Quran language, so don't hold it against them.. If the quran language hadn't been arabic n yet d quran came from the arabs then, I wil have a problem if u bear an arab name(abubakar) else I dnt see y u shld stress ur nerves..

So if every one in the world is a muslim, should every one now start speaking only arabic as their first language? no, this will eventually push arabic as the superior>superior culture, which english is doing now to Nigerians. I fully support justaquad points.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tintingz(m): 3:22pm On Feb 05, 2013
tintingz: One igbo woman asked of my name and i told her my muslim name. . . . .the next she says was ''are you from kwara state'' grin

Confused ibo woman maybe na only kwara dey bear muslim name among the yorubas tongue . . . . .i use both my muslim name and yoruba name, what is disturbing bearing an arab name it doesnt makes you an arab anyway

Op go and ask bankole willington a.k.a banky w why him papa still dey bear wilington Or ask bukky wright
cheesy
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 3:22pm On Feb 05, 2013
hadbak: fine! If u learn Arabic for worship purpose dat means d lang must be IMPORTANT to u. Y can't u worship in ur own lang? Is it bcus ur lang is not important in worship? No! God choose arabic for His religion n He alone knows y n dts it. I want u to understand dat arabic is an islamic lang(permit me to say) n not just an arab thing. Stop beefing d arabs. U shld be proud n happy to bear an arabic name which is better n safer for u so long as d name is not evil or meaningless...

arabic name is no better than my tribal names that have desirable meaning.i have nothing against arabs, i am proud to be called yoruba. worship and culture are entirely different.
read my post to grasp my point. stop misquoting me
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by demmie1: 3:22pm On Feb 05, 2013
hadbak: fine! If u learn Arabic for worship purpose dat means d lang must be IMPORTANT to u. Y can't u worship in ur own lang? Is it bcus ur lang is not important in worship? No! God choose arabic for His religion n He alone knows y n dts it. I want u to understand dat arabic is an islamic lang(permit me to say) n not just an arab thing. Stop beefing d arabs. U shld be proud n happy to bear an arabic name which is better n safer for u so long as d name is not evil or meaningless...

Iranians don't worship in arabic, they worship in persians.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 3:25pm On Feb 05, 2013
Umamman1: justacad am sorry to say but you don't really know what you are saying.you can change your name to Ojukwu'its its all your choice but, I strongly advice you wake up. There nothing like Arab name.Go and learn more adeen.

are you KIDDING ME?aside islam being a grace upon the arabs/world,arabs are no where compared to the rich heritage of the yoruba.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by bukatyne(f): 3:27pm On Feb 05, 2013
The OP never said Arabic names are bad; He said they should be middle names and not first names.

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by rman: 3:27pm On Feb 05, 2013
The OP really has some valid points.

Most of the Islamic names are actullay Arabic names.

I know all the ABDUL..... have beautiful meanings, the indegineous version of these names could be adopted.

I don't see anything wrong with muslimms bearing OLAOLUWA, OLUWADARA, OLUWASEGUN etc

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by cheikh: 3:27pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad
*standing ovation*

@^^ Gbam! Trust me wink grin aribisalaO is a fantastic guy wink[b][/b]. His logic/posts on NL are usually very interesting and irreproachable.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Okijajuju1(m): 3:28pm On Feb 05, 2013
To avoid being banned, please note that all my posts are very offensive to Islam. Reader discretion is adviced..

All you religous folks have lost your identity to the owners of your faith. Persians (Arabs) own Islam & Jews own Christianity.

Many Christians also name their Children names like Samuel, Jacob, Ezekiel, e.t.c.. All these names are alien to us. Even sef, no be only name, character sef has been defiled by foreign religious influences. E.g; This example cannot be given as it is very offensive to the extremist moderator of the Islamic section of Nairaland..

Until we discard with these foreign influences in our lives, we shall never truly discover ourselves. #Okija_juju...

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 3:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
bukatyne: The OP never said Arabic names are bad; He said they should be middle names and not first names.

most of the heavy weights in islamic sections really disappointed me with their superior arabic thinking.
glad you saw my point
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 3:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
'To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam'. That is interesting. But, people can insult the president of Nigeria without such ban threat! I would want to quickly say this is not a religion forum though. We are being gradually forced to obey religion, just the way it's done in the past. Saying anything wrong about religion and you will face heresy. Jeez! Something is wrong somewhere with this forum now.

However, anybody can call me Mr Stone, Leave, Tomato or whatever they like. They don't change who I am. I think many Africans have identity problem. If that is what can uplift the Continent out of poverty and backwardness it would have long be a success of Africa.

We need to focus on building the continent and organize ourselves as people. There is no single African nation building for the future. That is a sad story yet people are quick to concern themselves of identity and forget about what matters the most. It is time to stop being frivolous about reality to fix the problems hindering Africa progress.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Okijajuju1(m): 3:30pm On Feb 05, 2013
aribisala0:
So because someone is different from YOU,THE GREAT YOU, in how they see the world or react to events they are "INSECURE"

Look at your post and see how many times you refer to YOURSELF. This thread is NOT about YOU

I see nothing insecure in what he posted but a lot of that in YOU!! Your first words are direct and disrespectful clearly indicating a lack of self respect and disregard for others. you are the one with BIG ISSUES

Thats why my signature is dedicated to the extremist D!*%&#ebag.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nike93(f): 3:32pm On Feb 05, 2013
Whats the purpose of this thread? Op if u don't like the arrangement of ur names,go to the nearest npc office and change it , when u have kids too name them as you please but leave others alone u cn't force ur belief ön others who chose to do so. Shikena

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by HIV1: 3:32pm On Feb 05, 2013
The guy juataqad is an empty brain .A slowpoke. I doubt if you are a Muslim. Muslim bears arabic names the same reason Christians bear Paul, Joseph etc. Or you wan tell me Paul na Yoruba name. cool All those names originated from the middle east. Muslims cannot bear Esubiyi because we are not idol worshipers. cool
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tpia5: 3:33pm On Feb 05, 2013
This is a very interesting topic.

To the best of my knowledge, yoruba muslim names typically are an ethnic version of the arab form.

Eg adding a vowel at the end of the name.

So you'd have muina/ muinatu for muinat, abdulahi for ab'dulah, rashidi for rasheed, etc etc.

However, it seems such names might have been considered "uncool" and possibly seen as used by "poor" or uneducated people, hence the shift towards the "less vernacular" type with a stricter arab spelling, commonly used by hausas.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tintingz(m): 3:34pm On Feb 05, 2013
Bélla3: Any thread wey sweet megrin
so na this kyn thread dey sweet you tongue . . . .miss Bella of where?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 3:36pm On Feb 05, 2013
HIV1: The guy juataqad is an empty brain .A slowpoke. I doubt if you are a Muslim. Muslim bears arabic names the same reason Christians bear Paul, Joseph etc. Or you wan tell me Paul na Yoruba name. cool All those names originated from the middle east. Muslims cannot bear Esubiyi because we are not idol worshipers. cool

slowpoke?huh
fastpoke this was my response to Senator MAc.

justaqad:
clearly the name i used as reference is not praising devil.i understand it is makrooh to bear names that have undesirable meanings.it doesnt mean there are no name that have desirable meaning in yoruba..
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by stuhporh: 3:37pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

i wont give them the chance to refer to me as arab.besides i dont look like one. i dont want to look like one.i am so proud of my heritage.
i have got igbo blood running in me, so to say i am (hybrid)lol......
you sure embarrass me whenever you hit the keyboard. you think you know it all abi?smh

do you want to know what i have been taking? i have been inhaling consciousness and tolerance. i cant over-ride my heritage not for anything.
logicboi or pagan9ja,i admire their zeal though they are yet to see and embrace the truth.or you want me to act like you that segregate from people because of belief? you see one of my rich cultural heritage,we value tolerance.

Someone makes his point maturedly and sensibly, the other makes his without reference at least. Nl and Dramas.

you need to reclaim your school fees from whomever you payed to.

and if patience Jonathan uttered this gibberish,Nigerians would want to crucify her.lol

for your information i am a conscious muslim.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Do You Know Who Killed Abu Jahl ? ¿ It Was Children ! Click To Read More / How An American Lady Converted To Islam / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.