Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,721 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:05 PM

We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs - Islam for Muslims (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs (31061 Views)

Desert Arabs Competing In Building Skyscrapers - Biggest Clock Tower In Mecca / Arabs Will Be Guided Forever And Ever Unlike Israel / Why Are Black Africans Moslems Considered Inferior By The Arabs Moslems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 8:52pm On Feb 05, 2013
Lol, fear no let me post my mind. Freedom of speech, where art thou!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:58pm On Feb 05, 2013
tintingz: no back up to your claim

paganic goaty!

my claim is genetics and trans-African (possibly Niger-COngo) human migration and also based on the language. what is yours?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by jude33084(m): 9:04pm On Feb 05, 2013
dapsonlou:

oduduwa real name is ishmael oduari yes that is a fact and it an arabic name

cheesy cheesy grin grin Una no go kill person with laugh cheesy

Yoruba my people grin
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by jude33084(m): 9:10pm On Feb 05, 2013
Shankboye: . U are wrong mister, I live in NY United states.. Most americans now adopt muslim names, u can easily see names like malik,barack,akeem, e.t.c.. Obviously u need more knowledge on islam..

You said most? shocked

Wonderful cheesy
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by jude33084(m): 9:17pm On Feb 05, 2013
usisky:

Peace To Everybody.

@Justaqad.

I don't think i have the energy to contribute exhaustively on this issue. But i can i assure you that you are spot on.
Here is a link to our website shedding greater light on the matter- HERE. You may take the information there and share it here if you choose.

I will only say a few words and hopefully a food for thought.

Mr. Justaqad, you have not only LOST your identity to the ARABS, but you have lost the religion all together to the Arabs. What you see around you as ISLAM today is simply the "ARAB RELIGION". The religion(or more accurately a system of conduct) envisioned in the Qur'an negates that which you know as "ISLAM" today. Don't take my word for it; the content of posts made my "muslims" on Nairaland ISlam section is evidence enough.

Here is a food for thought. The so-called "Islamic names" Umar, Muhammad, Fatimah, Aisha, Jamal etc all existed prior to Muhammad's Prophet-hood and were names used by both Pagan arabs, Christian arabs etc. How then can one claim these names are "Muslim names"?

The truth is, these names have nothing to do with the religion envisioned in the Qur'an. God does not care what you call yourself. He deliberately created us of different cultures, tribes and ethnicity for us to appreciate the wisdom in creation. I seriously doubt that the same God will urge us to adopt someone Else's culture. No one culture is superior to another.

The Only Criterion For Distinguishing Among The People

[49:13] O people, we created you from the same male and female, and rendered you distinct peoples and tribes, that you may recognize one another. The best among you in the sight of GOD is the most righteous. GOD is Omniscient, Cognizant.

NB: there is no harm in embracing other people's culture which we admire. The harm is when we attribute it to GOD or religion.

PEACE!!

Thank you very much for that. I must say that you have to enlighten people like Maclatunji and his gangs of ,...undecided
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by GooseBaba: 9:42pm On Feb 05, 2013
[quote author=Shankboye]. U are wrong mister, I live in NY United states.. Most americans now adopt muslim names, u can easily see names like malik,barack,akeem, e.t.c.. Obviously u need more knowledge on islam.. [/quote
You no mean am! Most Americans or most African America Muslims converts?! grin
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by usisky(m): 9:43pm On Feb 05, 2013

^^^^Jude33084

Peace to you Bro' and thank you too. Believe me....i have tried ceaselessly. But people like me are looked upon as heretics and ones afflicted with lunacy. Religion most often triumphs over REASON for most people....not so for the Rational ones.

PEACE!!

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BetaThings: 10:15pm On Feb 05, 2013
aribisala0:
I am not here to play idiotic games with you. If you have something serious to say say it otherwise park well. What does call to prayer have to do with our discussion here? I have very little patience for half wits.

The subject here is are there such things as MUSLIM names. If you have evidence of such provide it otherwise
Naff OFF!!

aribisala0:

You did well not to insult me because then I would insult your parents and wish them a painful death.
But since you did not insult me I won't do that!!

The Quran is not a secret so tell us where the Quran tells you to give your children Arabic names . Otherwise stop quoting me and face front so we do not derail this thread

EOD
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Mr4tunate: 10:16pm On Feb 05, 2013
wat springs up a topic of ds nature is serious vague to my understanding. Having an Islamic name nd using it a d first name shudnt b a big deal. If a joseph or paul will answer d name with great happiness even if hebrew is n more d official christian language, then just y r we complaining of loosing our identity to d arabs? do u even knw dat so many arabs av to change dr names wen embracing islam? dat tells u hw significant a good name is in ds deen. Do u knw dat its mandatory dat one gives one child a beautiful name nd dat d prophet of Allah prefers d names of Allah, d prophets, d sahaabahs nd other beautiful names in dat order? So just wat is ur excuse nd wc identity r u loosing nd do u even remember dat there's no tribal dichotomy in islam? And i cud c u use d word Makrooh, so perhaps u posses a level of islamic understanding nd if dat is true u surelyshud knw dat no identity is required of a muslim except islam in its entity or hw easy can u prove to love Obama wen u r indifferent abt America. And most important of all, do u really think ds avenue is d ryt place for ds kinda topic? Eni ti a fe sunje to tun fi epo para, hw pathetic?

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BetaThings: 10:24pm On Feb 05, 2013
jude33084:

Thank you very much for that. I must say that you have to enlighten people like Maclatunji and his gangs of ,...undecided

You seriously believe that we don't know where to go for enlightenment?

Is this also the evidence of the type of enlightenment you want us to graduate to?

jude33084:

It is a pitty that you are totally lost. undecided

As a Christian I
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by usisky(m): 10:28pm On Feb 05, 2013

^^^^Mr4tunate

Peace Bro'. If your claim is correct, why didn't Muhammad and His companions change their names when they SUPPOSEDLY embraced "ISLAM"? How come they all retained the names the had while they were SUPPOSEDLY "none-muslims"? Did their SUPPOSEDLY "none-muslim" names trans-mutate to the SUPPOSEDLY "muslim" names after they embraced the now "ISLAM"?

PEACE!!

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by bejay1(m): 10:28pm On Feb 05, 2013
vedaxcool:

So? If they think you are arab (which merely by appearance it isn't the case) does it harm you in anyway? So in essence we should fear being labeled arab more than love being called servant of Gafar? Please, this is simply empty talk, you can call your of whatever you choose or call your children whatever name you choose, but your talk is simply mute in many aspects, you don't speak arabic, you speak yoruba (even Hausa speak hausa not arabic), you don't eat arab food you eat yoruba food yet you are loosing your identity, your don't wear arab clothes, you probably wear African clothes plus english wear, yet your identity is disappearing into arab custom faster than Titanic is sinking, abegi, if you like put ola- sango grin as your first name, if that would make you feel more proud of your yoruba heritage, and you forgot to put this to your list of lost identity, the fact that we are forced to write in english another sub-dialect of arabic and that we are forced to communicate in english - a sub-dialect of arabic- most of the times, this arabs are truly sub-planting we Africans we must all start writing in yoruba and our native language to reclaim our identity, in fact we no longer use our local caleneder the arabs have seen to that so we now use jan - dec to mark our days, this arabs self DAMN them DAMN them, who do they think they are brushing our identity and stepping on our pride sef! Give me a pure water sachet let me stone the Saudi embassy and reclaim our pride back, at least the arabs would know we don't fear them! lol grin grin grin just kidding feel free to present your yoruba name first, so that New yorkers won't mistake you for an arab and push you onto a speeding train, please also wear jeans so that you look more like a New Yorker and don't say Salam even to your muslim brothers say hi or hey, but you know english is another sub - dialect of arabic, so hey don't blame me, Identity lost!
Ose jare
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by maclatunji: 10:40pm On Feb 05, 2013
aribisala0: The Jews claim such a person is a Jew and the christians claim he is Christian. But you Ignore logic and revert to dogma. The quran is using LOGIC to say Abraham was Not a Jew BECAUSE he died before the Torah .He also died before the Quran so that same LOGIC applies otherwise we are wasting time.
What does People of Scripture Mean? Does Not the Quran recognize them as those who surrendered

Were David , Moses and Those Other prophets not Jews. Was Jesus Not a Jew??

NOT ALL HANIFS ARE OR WERE MUSLIM.

The Quran also says
2;62
) Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews, and Christians, and Sabians - whoever believeth in Allah and the Last Day and doeth right - surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.

So not all who surrender are Muslims some are Jews ,Sabaens etc

To be a muslim you have to accept Mohammed as a prophet YES OR NO

If you lived and died before him, your answer is a big no. Topic for another thread. In fact, over-debated on this website already.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BankoleNco: 10:45pm On Feb 05, 2013
maclatunji:

If you lived and died before him, your answer is a big no. Topic for another thread. In fact, over-debated on this website already.

What about Bin Laden and Abu Kwack Kwack were they Muslims too ?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Anvaller: 10:55pm On Feb 05, 2013
Mr4tunate: wat springs up a topic of ds nature is serious vague to my understanding. Having an Islamic name nd using it a d first name shudnt b a big deal. If a joseph or paul will answer d name with great happiness even if hebrew is n more d official christian language, then just y r we complaining of loosing our identity to d arabs? do u even knw dat so many arabs av to change dr names wen embracing islam? dat tells u hw significant a good name is in ds deen. Do u knw dat its mandatory dat one gives one child a beautiful name nd dat d prophet of Allah prefers d names of Allah, d prophets, d sahaabahs nd other beautiful names in dat order? So just wat is ur excuse nd wc identity r u loosing nd do u even remember dat there's no tribal dichotomy in islam? And i cud c u use d word Makrooh, so perhaps u posses a level of islamic understanding nd if dat is true u surelyshud knw dat no identity is required of a muslim except islam in its entity or hw easy can u prove to love Obama wen u r indifferent abt America. And most important of all, do u really think ds avenue is d ryt place for ds kinda topic? Eni ti a fe sunje to tun fi epo para, hw pathetic?

The point is this, if you would like to name your children all these names.. no problem its ur choice .. but be careful not to mis-inform ppl here, when u say it is mandatory to give one's child a beautiful name it ends there... full stop. It is not mandatory in Islam that u give ur child one of the names of Allah like u tried to craft here and if u want to, why can't u name the same name in ur own language? I know ppl like u would come out and start calling such person a non muslim and that is where the problem is. And when u say a beautiful name, what does a beautiful name mean? U didnt use the right word here... If some arabs changed their name after becoming muslims.. its simply because the meaning of their original name is not positive (probably anti-God) these has nothing to do with taking up a so called "islamic name" an islamic name doesnt exist anyway!

I understand some of you would need some time to re examine and digest the common sense of this logic because it is not easy to discard an understanding that u have had almost all ur life... but that is not what matters, what matters is the truth which should be paramount in ur endeavours.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by seunajia: 10:58pm On Feb 05, 2013
usisky:

^^^^Mr4tunate

Peace Bro'. If your claim is correct, why didn't Muhammad and His companions change their names when they SUPPOSEDLY embraced "ISLAM"? How come they all retained the names the had while they were SUPPOSEDLY "none-muslims"? Did their SUPPOSEDLY "none-muslim" names trans-mutate to the SUPPOSEDLY "muslim" names after they embraced the now "ISLAM"?

PEACE!!

People assume too much!

Changing to a Better Name

Hadith - Al-Tirmidhi #4774, Narrated 'Aisha

The Prophet used to change a bad name.

Tirmidhi transmitted it.

Hadith - Sahih Al-Bukhari 8.212, Narrated Abu Huraira

Zainab's original name was "Barrah," but it was said, "By that she is giving herself the prestige of piety." So the Prophet changed her name to Zainab.

Hadith - Dawud, Narrated AbuWahb, Hazn ibn AbuWahb

The Prophet asked: What is your name?
He replied: Hazn (rugged).
He said: You are Sahl (smooth).
He said: No, smooth is trodden upon and disgraced.
Sa'id said: I then thought that ruggedness would remain among us after it.

AbuDawud said: The Prophet changed the names al-'As, Aziz, Atalah, Shaytan, al-Hakam, Ghurab, Hubab, and Shihab and called him Hisham. He changed the name Harb (war) and called him Silm (peace). He changed the name al-Munba'ith (one who lies) and called him al-Mudtaji' (one who stands up). He changed the name of a land Afrah (barren) and called it Khadrah (green). He changed the name Shi'b ad-Dalalah (the mountain path of a stray), the name of a mountain path and called it Shi'b al-Huda (mountain path of guidance). He changed the name Banu az-Zinyah (children of fornication) and called them Banu ar-Rushdah (children of those who are on the right path), and changed the name Banu Mughwiyah (children of a woman who allures and goes astray), and called them Banu Rushdah (children of a woman who is on the right path). AbuDawud said: I omitted the chains of these for the sake of brevity.

Hadith (agreed upon)

The Prophet said, "Whoever shuns my Sunnah is never of me."

Hadith - Sahih Al-Bukhari 8.212, Narrated Abu Huraira, .

Zainab's original name was "Barrah," but it was said, "By that she is giving herself the prestige of piety." So the Prophet changed her name to Zainab.

http://muttaqun.com/names.html
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Mr4tunate: 11:02pm On Feb 05, 2013
dat i said many sahaabah changed dr names doesnt mean all of them did. Yes we can say its idiotic to b dogmatic as regards our names bt my point is dat having an arabic name doesnt mean loosing ur identity. If a bank manager is nt loosing his iddntity bywearing a suite under ds freaky hot african sunnd u aint loosing ur identity as a Nigerian speaking english always, so wat identity r u loosing answering an arabic name wen wat u claim as an identity is nt even islamicaly recognised. Always remember dat ur identity either based skin, race, dialect or language isnt of any interest to Allah nd dr is no segregation of any form in islam. So arbic names? No issues, in fact its fine nd brilliant if u so desire

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BetaThings: 11:09pm On Feb 05, 2013
usisky:

^^^^Mr4tunate

PEACE!!

Please provide proof for your claim

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Mr4tunate: 11:16pm On Feb 05, 2013
well i dont wnt to sound abusive, bt i will just say u shud fear Allah, say wat is good nd nt aclaim to me wat i av nt said. If u understand english u would knw frm my post dat i dint say its mandatory to give arabic names, all i've given to u is d sequence of preference by d propthet as regards naming and if u would neglect dat nd follow ur own wish in its ur bussiness. Just remember dat as non can b more catholic than d pope, so also can non understand ds deen than d prophet.
wa'llahu ta'aalah aalam
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Akanbiedu(m): 11:17pm On Feb 05, 2013
@OP
Let me ask, what is the most important thing about you that you want people to know as soon as they see/hear your name? Is it being muslim, being Yoruba or being both?

Individual choice according to your convictions if you asked me. If you are indeed a muslim, you need to stop worrying about whether you are mistaken for Hausa or Arab, it doesn't matter except you are afraid of being mistaken for one during percieved crisis. LOL

ayinba1:

Good question.
Muslims with understnding know that on the Final Day, your identity that is most important is Religious and nothing else. So do I want to be a muslim on the day of judgement Or do I want to be Yoruba?
I do not expect you to understand.
At least we agree that the muslim name identifies you as a muslim, not an ARAB!

We are making progress grin

Good question. Though I don't expect many to understand.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Mr4tunate: 11:21pm On Feb 05, 2013
Well, i dont wnt to sound abusive, bt i will just say u shud fear Allah, say wat is good nd nt aclaim to me wat i av nt said. If u understand english u would knw i frm my post dat i dint say its mandatory to give arabic names, all i've given to u is d q of preference by d propthet as regards naming and if u would neglect dat nd follow ur own wish in naming its ur bussiness. Just w as non can b more catholic than d pope so also can non understand ds deen than d prophet.
wa'llahu ta'aalah aalam
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 11:26pm On Feb 05, 2013
tpia@:
the reason why there's confusion here is because people dont understand religion can also be synonymous with tribe.

meaning tribe has everything to do with religion, and originates from it.

think i discussed something like this some years back.
The truth is that many religionists forget that religion and culture go together. That alone speaks of the inability of many to understand it is a means of imposing another man's culture on the other. The sooner most of them understand this the better religion will start to take its rightful place in any society.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Bella3(f): 11:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
tintingz: so na this kyn thread dey sweet you tongue . . . .miss Bella of where?
Of her own world.grin
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by THEPOLY11: 11:34pm On Feb 05, 2013
Arabic is a language and Islamic is a religion they are both different but always go together , the reason why you study Quran in arabic is to proctect it's value, but the mistake with all black people today is that we buy all these religions and everything that comes with it , and we have no value for anything that is ours, we need to protect our culture as well .

Pratice your religion and do not loose your culture not everything in our culture is bad.....English People call YESHUA-JESUS , AND YORUBA CALL HIM JESU , GOD IS NOT A HUMAN THAT LISTEN TO YOUR VOICE BUT YOUR HEART .

hadbak:

I don't want to agree wit u on d bases that if u bear Abubakar u are seen as an arab, If u say a muslim I agree. No doubt d name may have an arab origin nevertheless, Arabic is the language of d Quran n d messenger, so if u bear an arabic name ur simply identifying as a muslim n not an arab. Its not a coincidence/mistake that d quran is in d arabic language but of Allah's desires. This is how u as a muslim shld see it rather than saying ur losing ur identity by ur name sounding arabic in nature while ur not an arab. Ur identity as a muslim shld be more important/shld superceed any identity. God creater us all into various tribes n nation but stil choose Arabic language for His religion... don't u think if He desire He could have made us into one nation/tribe? Its a blessing to the arabs for Allah to esteem Arabic language by making it d Quran language, so don't hold it against them.. If the quran language hadn't been arabic n yet d quran came from the arabs then, I wil have a problem if u bear an arab name(abubakar) else I dnt see y u shld stress ur nerves..
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Anvaller: 11:37pm On Feb 05, 2013
Mr4tunate: well i dont wnt to sound abusive, bt i will just say u shud fear Allah, say wat is good nd nt aclaim to me wat i av nt said. If u understand english u would knw i frm my post dat i dint say its mandatory to give arabic names, all i've given to u is d sequence of preference by d propthet as regards naming and if u would neglect dat nd follow ur own wish in naming its ur bussiness. Just remember dat as non can b more catholic than d pope so also can non understand ds deen than d prophet.
wa'llahu ta'aalah aalam

Well I would be surprised if u were abusive to me cos I wasn't to u...
As muslims, whether we bear "Islamic names" or not, we shouldn't be abusive to each other, these are the things that actually make us muslims.
So now, having clarified that the mandatory that u used in ur comment does not qualify the subsequent explanation of the prophet's preferences of names, would u then respect my choice of not adopting an arabic name while I respect ur choice of adopting same? Because the playing ground is level, we both make decision simply on choices and not obligation. And if u think that urs is based on obligation well u have not proved it.. Therefore I would only respect u on the issue based on opinion. As long as I dont sense that u are trying to impose ur "opinion" (which might mean to u, ur belief) on my opinion (which means to me, my belief)
Peace be unto you!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by hadbak: 11:54pm On Feb 05, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

shut up. they do worship in Persian. THe Zoroastrians. i know them.
Ignoramus!!! U bloody pajan thinks u know my relign that beta than I do? There is no muslim that say their salah in any lang other than arabic..if u say suplicatn, I will fall for it..joker!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 11:57pm On Feb 05, 2013
Anvaller:

Well I would be surprised if u were abusive to me cos I wasn't to u...
As muslims, whether we bear "Islamic names" or not, we shouldn't be abusive to each other, these are the things that actually make us muslims.
So now, having clarified that the mandatory that u used in ur comment does not qualify the subsequent explanation of the prophet's preferences of names, would u then respect my choice of not adopting an arabic name while I respect ur choice of adopting same? Because the playing ground is level, we both make decision simply on choices and not obligation. And if u think that urs is based on obligation well u have not proved it.. Therefore I would only respect u on the issue based on opinion. As long as I dont sense that u are trying to impose ur "opinion" (which might mean to u, ur belief) on my opinion (which means to me, my belief)
Peace be unto you!
There is something outrightly disambiguous about this comment. The truth that Koran is dubbed from the Old Testament questions its mandatory significance when it comes to identity. That means those Muslim names are culturally and silently linked to the Jewish with little tweaks to them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

Do You Know Who Killed Abu Jahl ? ¿ It Was Children ! Click To Read More / How An American Lady Converted To Islam / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.