Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,710 members, 7,809,694 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:24 PM

We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs - Islam for Muslims (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs (31051 Views)

Desert Arabs Competing In Building Skyscrapers - Biggest Clock Tower In Mecca / Arabs Will Be Guided Forever And Ever Unlike Israel / Why Are Black Africans Moslems Considered Inferior By The Arabs Moslems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by hadbak: 12:12am On Feb 06, 2013
THEPOLY11: Arabic is a language and Islamic is a religion they are both different but always go together , the reason why you study Quran in arabic is to proctect it's value, but the mistake with all black people today is that we buy all these religions and everything that comes with it , and we have no value for anything that is ours, we need to protect our culture as well .

Pratice your religion and do not loose your culture not everything in our culture is bad.....English People call YESHUA-JESUS , AND YORUBA CALL HIM JESU , GOD IS NOT A HUMAN THAT LISTEN TO YOUR VOICE BUT YOUR HEART .

pointless! look, u can go n bear ur Akintola/lagbaja for all I care, so long as its not me dats bearing d name..how does it fuel my car?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by crackhouse(m): 12:33am On Feb 06, 2013
when i saw this in the front page, i thought it was said by the Nigeria govt and was eager to open the thread and read it, .....only for me to see another comment by another drowning.........
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Benjoh(m): 12:44am On Feb 06, 2013
justaqad: Asalam Alaykum.

Islam is a religion not just to he Arabs but to the whole world,Simply by saying 'there is no god apart from God.

شَهِدَ اللّهُ أَنَّهُ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ وَالْمَلاَئِكَةُ وَأُوْلُواْ الْعِلْمِ قَآئِمَاً بِالْقِسْطِ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ

God bears witness that there is no other god besides Him, and so do the angels and those who possess knowledge."(Verse 3:18)

there is a trend among Muslims which i find not just disturbing but wrong.muslims are submitters to the will of Allah not to the will of Arabs.
we are loosing our identity to the Arabs.the essence of naming is for Identity.when i hear the name Chidi,i know he is Igbo by tribe.but it would be difficult to tell whether Gafar that resides in Oshodi is yoruba,igbo,hausa or Arab.
i fear we are loosing our cultural heritage to the Arabs.i beg to differ there is no such thing as Islamic name.i am not saying Arabic names are bad,but we ought not loose our identity.
i grew up with an Arabic name as my first name,whenever i say my first name,people start asking are you Hausa?it will take me me some seconds to introduce my self.i have since adopted my tribal name as my first,arabic second.
i am proud of my race,i am proud to be called Yoruba.i am not loosing it,not for anything.

Masalam
You better check ur brain cos I can c devil partially using you,beware and make sure you dnt go against tthe will of Allah. You can't teach GOD how run his things whichever way he like he does His own things. Bleep Tribe,Bleep culture.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by ayinba1(f): 12:45am On Feb 06, 2013
aribisala0: The Jews claim such a person is a Jew and the christians claim he is Christian. But you Ignore logic and revert to dogma. The quran is using LOGIC to say Abraham was Not a Jew BECAUSE he died before the Torah .He also died before the Quran so that same LOGIC applies otherwise we are wasting time.
What does People of Scripture Mean? Does Not the Quran recognize them as those who surrendered

Were David , Moses and Those Other prophets not Jews. Was Jesus Not a Jew??

NOT ALL HANIFS ARE OR WERE MUSLIM.

The Quran also says
2;62
) Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews, and Christians, and Sabians - whoever believeth in Allah and the Last Day and doeth right - surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.

So not all who surrender are Muslims some are Jews ,Sabaens etc

To be a muslim you have to accept Mohammed as a prophet YES OR NO

You surrender to Allah, when you believe in Him, His signs, all His Prophets making no distinction between them. They all came with the same message; worship Allah, your Creator and do not associate partners with Him.

Simply put, answer to your question is Yes.
Unless you want to show me how you can submit to the will of Allah and deny the prophethood of Mohammed(pbuh)
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tpia5: 12:53am On Feb 06, 2013
all4naija: That means those Muslim names are culturally and silently linked to the Jewish with little tweaks to them.

the roots are the same [semitic].

i dont think the names are borrowed, they just have the same origin.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by murtalaa(m): 1:14am On Feb 06, 2013
@Poster

If you think you will get a pat from these bigots on NL you are sadly mistaken. You will never get anything short of ridicule. let me tell you why you should be proud of your Arabic name: 1. Our beloved prophet was an Arab 2. Qur'an was revealed in Arabic 3. Arabic would be the language of the hereafter.If you don't find these reasons enough to be proud of your Arabic name then you have no besiness identifying yourself as muslim. When people mistake you for hausa, does that implies that you are loosing your identity to Arab? when have Hausas become Arabs?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Tosman12(m): 3:40am On Feb 06, 2013
justaqad:

you are wrong.my actions and deeds should identify me as a muslim rather than my name.using arabic name as first name is loosing my identity.arabic name has no significance in me being a better muslim.

what makes you think i am insecure about my religion?i am not a default kinda muslim.the Quran clearly defines who a muslim is,a muslim is not one who bears arabic names.

at first they have lost their identity.ask any one that have not read or know them.first they will assume they are not africans.they have lost their identity.officially they stopped being yoruba.

your response shows u have a mature knowledge of not just islam but of religion itsef......this givs me hope dat there are better religious leader out there for the future...i am proud of ur response.....you kno the truth,it sets you free and makes you whole and confident......bravo.

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by aseju: 3:57am On Feb 06, 2013
OP, your post is spot on.
When it says give beautiful names on the naming ceremony day, it is allowing for expression, feelings, gratitude for the bundle of joy given.
It can be such as given thanks to the Almighty in my language, eg Oluwaseun. Do I have to go looking for that in arabic language? I dont think so.
It is even getting confusing with interpretation. Al-Gafar or Gafar, for example some will say no to it because it is exclusively Gods attribute, the sole giver of forgiveness. (it has to be Abdul Gafar etc) Express yourself as the occasion calls for, afterall another attribute of his is all-hearing (Al Samiu). The name does not make one a muslim spiritually. It may to the outside world.
The arabic speak in sermons and writings are another. Dont tell me qadr, deen, khutuba etc. Tell me in English, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa or whatever you are communicating with. Is that what make one a muslim or just a show off. What does saying "Niyat" mean? Why cant I say my intention in my language? I have seen too many instances of that with the clerics giving different variations of which they expect the follower to cram. You want to pray, fast, or sacrifice, I will say the intention freely in my language. I am with you OP.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BetaThings: 5:14am On Feb 06, 2013
aseju: OP, your post is spot on.
When it says give beautiful names on the naming ceremony day, it is allowing for expression, feelings, gratitude for the bundle of joy given.
It can be such as given thanks to the Almighty in my language, eg Oluwaseun. Do I have to go looking for that in arabic language? I dont think so.
It is even getting confusing with interpretation. Al-Gafar or Gafar, for example some will say no to it because it is exclusively Gods attribute, the sole giver of forgiveness. (it has to be Abdul Gafar etc) Express yourself as the occasion calls for, afterall another attribute of his is all-hearing (Al Samiu). The name does not make one a muslim spiritually. It may to the outside world.
The arabic speak in sermons and writings are another. Dont tell me qadr, deen, khutuba etc. Tell me in English, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa or whatever you are communicating with. Is that what make one a muslim or just a show off. What does saying "Niyat" mean? Why cant I say my intention in my language? I have seen too many instances of that with the clerics giving different variations of which they expect the follower to cram. You want to pray, fast, or sacrifice, I will say the intention freely in my language. I am with you OP.

That is why you are a human being with will
You can do whatever you like
But a Muslim submits and remembers Allah always

I am surprised that many people who cannot compose an essay in their mother tongue, cannot speak their indigenous language authoritatively, cannot teach it to their children but can write books in English, have ideas about social issues that reflect western thinking rather than contemporary Nigerian society's are suddenly very concerned that because of their muslim name they are losing their identity as Yoruba, Hausa etc

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by nect: 5:26am On Feb 06, 2013
You speak as an ignorant Muslim because you don't know that there is no racism (asabiyyah) in Islam. Unfortunately, you are attempting to create it. Remember, Allah has chosen Arabic as the language everyone (Muslims and non-Muslims alike) will speak when we are dead. Are you going to speak Yoruba then too?

You must love Arabic for 3 reasons:
(1) it is the language of the Qur'an (Allah himself speaks it)
(2) it is the language of the Prophet (SAW)
(3) it is the language we are all going to speak in our graves.

As for naming, Muslims should name their children from any of these three (3) sources in Islam:
(1) Attributes of Allah eg Abdul Gafar, Abdul Hakeem, etc
(2) the Prophet's names/attributes eg: Muhammad, Sodiq, etc
(3) other Prophets and companions of the Prophet (SAW) eg: Musa, Isah, Ibraheem, Nuhu, Adam, Muadh, Umar, Abu Bakri, Uthman, Alli, etc

So where do you now find Bamidele or Kolawole, Olajide (my own names) as role models for Islamic identity?

You also know that Islam has its own culture different from the culture of the Arabs too. Some of it can be similar to it or any other culture of the world, including the Yoruba that you want to be promoting. And it can be different from them!

Where it is different, you must prefer the Islamic culture or stand on anything or issue if truly you are a Muslim. The first identity you must be proud of is your Islamic or Muslim Identity, pure and simple!

Can you now understand?

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BetaThings: 5:30am On Feb 06, 2013
justaqad:

Read my thread on nairaland then draw your conclusion

I have stumbled upon this

justaqad:
stop encouraging evil, you just killed one bar of respect in my radar.there is no justification to el-rufai's retweet.
if reverse were the case,there would have been more christian widows and orphans.

It should matter what you think of others
But it does not matter what people think of you
Your admirers must be happy

BTW it was very very wrong for El Rufai to have mocked anything related to any Prophet (PBUT)
However, I recall that a Christian went to UI to disrupt Jumat service. What happened?
I will not kill anyone because of tweets denigrating Islam but some people would. Is it not better to also appeal to our friends to stop taunting muslims.
Since you are a "convinced Muslim" you will not believe that no msulim will dare write about Christianity what Christians (in Nigeria and elsewhere) have written about Allah and His Messenger (PBUH). If I said 15% of what they have put on paper to you, you would like to come after me in real life and knock off some of my teeth
BTW - your posts have been very revealing and any lingering doubt is removed

justaqad:
Does it matter what you think of me?
I am a convinced muslim... Is that not enough?read all my topics and post then draw your conclusion.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by alomoh: 6:20am On Feb 06, 2013
Allah does not Speak any other Language yet he is said to be all knowing. what kind of Allah will impose Arab to English speaking countries or French speaking countries? The fact that Arabs want others to speak their murderous Language shows how unenlightened Islamic Allah is, unfortunately he even gets professors to follow him. GJO moshay in His Who is this allah finished the Muslims, exposed allah and Muslim are still deceived to follow a man who copied passages from the Bible, Lied that Koran was handed by angel, Defiled children assault people, orders his followers to kill and maim his handiwork as if he were weak himself to kill them. wrote several contradiction with a bad use of language helped by unenlightened translators to make incoherent English translation of koran and made several offenders handicapped, instructed promiscuity and abuse of women and several other vices that allah followers allows, What manner of allah is this?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 6:54am On Feb 06, 2013
ayinba1:

The Prophets that you named, (pbut) were all muslims.
So yes, those are muslim names, very muslim names, in fact, you forgot to add Isa and Maryam. The fact that they are Arab or not Arab names does not change the fact that they are muslim names.

like Afam rightly spotted, Kelechi,chidi,olanrewaju can all be muslim names abi?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:02am On Feb 06, 2013
Mr4tunate: wat springs up a topic of ds nature is serious vague to my understanding. Having an Islamic name nd using it a d first name shudnt b a big deal. If a joseph or paul will answer d name with great happiness even if hebrew is n more d official christian language, then just y r we complaining of loosing our identity to d arabs? do u even knw dat so many arabs av to change dr names wen embracing islam? dat tells u hw significant a good name is in ds deen. Do u knw dat its mandatory dat one gives one child a beautiful name nd dat d prophet of Allah prefers d names of Allah, d prophets, d sahaabahs nd other beautiful names in dat order?

are there no beautiful names in your dialect? why do you place so much emphasis in Arabic?

Mr4tunate:
And most important of all, do u really think ds avenue is d ryt place for ds kinda topic? Eni ti a fe sunje to tun fi epo para, hw pathetic?

there is no secret in Islam. and yes this is the best place to address this issue
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:16am On Feb 06, 2013
murtalaa: @Poster

If you think you will get a pat from these bigots on NL you are sadly mistaken. You will never get anything short of ridicule. let me tell you why you should be proud of your Arabic name: 1. Our beloved prophet was an Arab 2. Qur'an was revealed in Arabic 3. Arabic would be the language of the hereafter.If you don't find these reasons enough to be proud of your Arabic name then you have no besiness identifying yourself as muslim. When people mistake you for hausa, does that implies that you are loosing your identity to Arab? when have Hausas become Arabs?

Are you saying ALLAH understands only arabic on the day of reckoning? so if i dont understand arabic i would be mute that day abi?
back up your ambiguous claims from the quran.
mr Islam is a universal language,arabic is just a tunnel for conveying the divine message of Allah.simple.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:17am On Feb 06, 2013
aseju: OP, your post is spot on.

i am glad not all muslims are defaulf.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:28am On Feb 06, 2013
nect: You speak as an ignorant Muslim because you don't know that there is no racism (asabiyyah) in Islam. Unfortunately, you are attempting to create it. Remember, Allah has chosen Arabic as the language everyone (Muslims and non-Muslims alike) will speak when we are dead. Are you going to speak Yoruba then too?

if by saying the truth you label me ignorant,then so be it. i will always say the truth.

nect:
You must love Arabic for 3 reasons:
(1) it is the language of the Qur'an (Allah himself speaks it)
(2) it is the language of the Prophet (SAW)
(3) it is the language we are all going to speak in our graves.

mind backing your ambiguous claims from the quran?
read this

afam4eva:

The OP wants to know why Muslims see the need to bear Arabic names and some people went ahead to say that it's so that they can be identified as Muslims. My argument is that Arabic names and Muslim names are not the same thing. Kelechi can be a Muslim name and can mean "Thank Allah". As long as it's been used in the Islamic context, then it can be considered to be a Muslim name.

nect:
As for naming, Muslims should name their children from any of these three (3) sources in Islam:
(1) Attributes of Allah eg Abdul Gafar, Abdul Hakeem, etc
(2) the Prophet's names/attributes eg: Muhammad, Sodiq, etc
(3) other Prophets and companions of the Prophet (SAW) eg: Musa, Isah, Ibraheem, Nuhu, Adam, Muadh, Umar, Abu Bakri, Uthman, Alli, etc

i prefer it in my dialect.

nect:
So where do you now find Bamidele or Kolawole, Olajide (my own names) as role models for Islamic identity?

there are countless role models outside arab.are you that myopic?

nect:
You also know that Islam has its own culture different from the culture of the Arabs too. Some of it can be similar to it or any other culture of the world, including the Yoruba that you want to be promoting. And it can be different from them!

The cornerstone of Islamic culture is morality (hayaa)and simplicity. Hayaa (morality / modesty) and simplicity are both qualities of Imaan. Thus the true Islamic society upholds the highest levels of morality and maintains simplicity in every aspect
now i dont need arabic names to withhold those
Can you now understand?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:39am On Feb 06, 2013
BetaThings:

I have stumbled upon this

It should matter what you think of others
But it does not matter what people think of you
Your admirers must be happy

what you think of me does not affect me. admiring someones zeal is not a crime or is it? vedaxcool was being deceitful,and i did not call him a hypocrite.

BetaThings:
BTW it was very very wrong for El Rufai to have mocked anything related to any Prophet (PBUT)
Good
BetaThings:
However, I recall that a Christian went to UI to disrupt Jumat service. What happened?
there's no justification my friend.stop looking for excuses.
BetaThings:
I will not kill anyone because of tweets denigrating Islam but some people would. Is it not better to also appeal to our friends to stop taunting muslims.
Muhammad was taunted more,yet he did not kill. what makes you feel you can protect islam better than ALLAH?

BetaThings:

BTW - your posts have been very revealing and any lingering doubt is removed

Good.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:58am On Feb 06, 2013
no man can ever claim monopoly of Knowledge,knowledge is like the sand,dispersed all over. most muslims brand me hypocrite,ignorant, simply because i speak the truth. well, i not be distracted by them.there are certain issues common sense would solve. i am not a muslim because i am born into a muslim family, i made researches and i am convinced Islam is the right religion.unlike default abubakar,hassan,tajudeen kinda muslim,that are muslims because their parents are muslims.most of them no nothing about islam.not even azan. so i am not a default muslim.
i will also like to correct the impression that when you hear the name Abubakar automatically he is muslim.it is a norm we no-arabs have accepted.amongst arabs there is no such thing as muslim names.Would a muslim say ALLAH is a muslim/islamic name?
i only pray you see the truth,stick to your root.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by adefash(m): 8:10am On Feb 06, 2013
maclatunji:

It is not a dogma, it is a legitimate question. Bamidele Bukola could be a Muslim, but the I wouldn't know until I ask him or see him practise Islam. However, if I see Idris Bamidele Bukola, I know at the very least, he has a Muslim background.

When someone starts answering questions solely with questions, I know it is time to let them remain where they are, they simply have little or no intention to change.

I wonder if any self-respecting Muslim will bear the name "Esubiyi" which is very Yoruba name. Would you give your child that name going by your argument that "the name you bear is insignificant"? #Kai See #Argument.

This is a very interesting thread. grin
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 10:05am On Feb 06, 2013
Huda: Do all Muslim names have to be Arabic in origin?

By Huda , Islam.About.com/od/babynames/f/name_Origins.htm

Question:

Do all Muslim names have to be Arabic in origin?

Over 85% of the world's Muslims do not speak Arabic as their native language, and are not culturally Arabs at all. Is it acceptable to give a Muslim baby a Turkish, Persian, Indonesian, or other name from a different culture, instead of an Arabic name?

Do non-Arab Muslim converts need to change their names?

Answer:

In Islam, the meaning of a name is the most important.

Just because a name stems from a certain language or culture, doesn't mean that it has a good Islamic meaning.

During the time of the Prophet Muhammad, several of his companions changed their own Arabic names, because the meanings of their names connoted wickedness.

For example, someone named ''Harb'' (war) had his name changed to Silm (peace), and one named Al-Munba'ith (one who lies) became Al-Mudtaji' "one who stands up," i.e. for the truth). So an Arabic name is not automatically an appropriate name for a Muslim.

As a universal faith, Muslims come from many different cultures and speak hundreds of different languages.

If one wants to use some of the recommended boys and girls' names from the Qur'an or Islamic history, then of course the name will be of Arabic origin.

There are also many traditional and popular Arabic names which are recognizable as Muslim names.

But if one would like to choose another meaningful name, one from another language is perfectly acceptable.

No one is forcing U to bear a name u don't want to bear and u can't condemn those who bear a name to associate with their GOD(swt) NOT ARABIANS!!!

As a Muslim U are ENJOINED to promote the CULTURE OF ISLAM,ur RELIGION,wherever u find urself!!!

If Culture is defined as a Total Way of Life then ur Total Way of Life must depict ISLAM, ur means of IDENTITY inclusive,UR NAME!!!!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by khairate(f): 10:22am On Feb 06, 2013
alomoh: Allah does not Speak any other Language yet he is said to be all knowing. what kind of Allah will impose Arab to English speaking countries or French speaking countries? The fact that Arabs want others to speak their murderous Language shows how unenlightened Islamic Allah is, unfortunately he even gets professors to follow him. GJO moshay in His Who is this allah finished the Muslims, exposed allah and Muslim are still deceived to follow a man who copied passages from the Bible, Lied that Koran was handed by angel, Defiled children assault people, orders his followers to kill and maim his handiwork as if he were weak himself to kill them. wrote several contradiction with a bad use of language helped by unenlightened translators to make incoherent English translation of koran and made several offenders handicapped, instructed promiscuity and abuse of women and several other vices that allah followers allows, What manner of allah is this?
wow, congratulations, clap for urself. Av noticed wen ds OP sees comments of ds sort, he is so quick to ignore, and attack any muslim who is against his own ' ideology on reforming the religion Allah s.w.t. Has perfected'. And as for you who posted ds here, which bible do u concor with?? That of the roman catholic or the protestant bible that is seven books less? The old or new?? Which one. Like i always say, Islam and xtianity are two parallel lines. Islam is not a religion you jus innovate new doctrines. For example, majority of u 'christlike' pple celebrate dec. 25th as ur God's bday. Hw many times was it mentioned in d scriptures dt he hosted parties nd danced on dec. 25th to celebrate his birth?? Who brought up ds ideology? Ds sunday dancin and clappin, who started it? Was it jesus?? Well i knw now dt dis arguements are coming up, someone will quickly translate a yoruba version of the bible and include this points to validate them. Smh

2 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by khairate(f): 10:22am On Feb 06, 2013
alomoh: Allah does not Speak any other Language yet he is said to be all knowing. what kind of Allah will impose Arab to English speaking countries or French speaking countries? The fact that Arabs want others to speak their murderous Language shows how unenlightened Islamic Allah is, unfortunately he even gets professors to follow him. GJO moshay in His Who is this allah finished the Muslims, exposed allah and Muslim are still deceived to follow a man who copied passages from the Bible, Lied that Koran was handed by angel, Defiled children assault people, orders his followers to kill and maim his handiwork as if he were weak himself to kill them. wrote several contradiction with a bad use of language helped by unenlightened translators to make incoherent English translation of koran and made several offenders handicapped, instructed promiscuity and abuse of women and several other vices that allah followers allows, What manner of allah is this?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 11:16am On Feb 06, 2013
khairate: wow, congratulations, clap for urself. Av noticed wen ds OP sees comments of ds sort, he is so quick to ignore, and attack any muslim who is against his own ' ideology on reforming the religion Allah s.w.t. Has perfected'. And as for you who posted ds here, which bible do u concor with?? That of the roman catholic or the protestant bible that is seven books less? The old or new?? Which one. Like i always say, Islam and xtianity are two parallel lines. Islam is not a religion you jus innovate new doctrines. For example, majority of u 'christlike' pple celebrate dec. 25th as ur God's bday. Hw many times was it mentioned in d scriptures dt he hosted parties nd danced on dec. 25th to celebrate his birth?? Who brought up ds ideology? Ds sunday dancin and clappin, who started it? Was it jesus?? Well i knw now dt dis arguements are coming up, someone will quickly translate a yoruba version of the bible and include this points to validate them. Smh

i understand your point.. i am not trying to perfect islam.culture of arabic naming is not islamic.you are guilty of what you are accusing me.
and but stop your assumptions.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by aribisala0(m): 11:38am On Feb 06, 2013
ayinba1:

You surrender to Allah, when you believe in Him, His signs, all His Prophets making no distinction between them. They all came with the same message; worship Allah, your Creator and do not associate partners with Him.

Simply put, answer to your question is Yes.
Unless you want to show me how you can submit to the will of Allah and deny the prophethood of Mohammed(pbuh)
So how did Abraham and Jesus "surrender" when they did not know Mohammed??
How could Abraham have been a muslim
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by aribisala0(m): 11:46am On Feb 06, 2013
maclatunji:

If you lived and died before him, your answer is a big no. Topic for another thread. In fact, over-debated on this website already.
So why this ubiquitous claim that Abraham was a muslim
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BlackBaron: 11:51am On Feb 06, 2013
True to an extent, same way I've never really heard an indigenous hausa name.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 11:52am On Feb 06, 2013
aribisala0:
So how did Abraham and Jesus "surrender" when they did not know Mohammed??
How could Abraham have been a muslim

Abraham and Jesus submitted to the will of ALLAH.thats the prime for being a muslim.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 11:53am On Feb 06, 2013
BlackBaron: True to an extent, same way I've never really heard an indigenous hausa name.

dont make the same mistake with your kids
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by isleman(m): 11:57am On Feb 06, 2013
I want to congratulate the poster for the wisdom and knowledge and for reaching the stage of self discovery. A stage of self discovery is a stage in life when you discover who you are, what you are and your purpose in life. it is a stage when you can clearly define right from wrong, good from bad without fair or prejudice in order to feed you own common sense and be true to yourself. unfortunately, this stage has nothing to do with age. i don't know your age but i congratulate you again for reaching that stage in life.

many don't reach that stage at all and they die as fools. i congratulate you again from being able to separate facts from fiction.

to buttress your point. i have an English name too which makes people not know who i am or where am from. Africans are usually identified by their names, language and culture. if your name doesn't quickly identify you. its a problem. you wouldn't know how it feels if you bare a native name.

Same for Christians too. their is nothing like christian name or biblical name. all names in the bible are either Hebrew or Jewish. It is pointless naming your child an Hebrew name when you can name them the interpreted version in your native language. For example, ISSAC is a Hebrew name while it means 'promise child'. Why name a child Issac when you can simply name them promise or promise child in your native language which is the actual meaning?

This is where African are losing it. if we can open up our minds and eyes and remove the sentiments and hypocrisy. Africans will move forward. they've played with our minds enough, lets rediscover ourselves.

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by ib0221: 11:58am On Feb 06, 2013
WE ALL LOOK BUT SEE DIFFERENTLY
I, as a person, see names as a little book that tells little story about the bearer. The excuse being given by the op to me is untenable because islam abhors tribalism in all ramification and that language is just like a bud that has tendency to change and die. I believe we will achieve full consciousness of self when we realise that what is called a tribe or ethnicity is just a perceived collection of organised and partially preserved association.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 12:00pm On Feb 06, 2013
isleman: I want to congratulate the poster for the wisdom and knowledge and for reaching the stage of self discovery. A stage of self discovery is a stage in life when you discover who you are, what you are and your purpose in life. it is a stage when you can clearly define right from wrong, good from bad without fair or prejudice in order to feed you own common sense and be true to yourself. unfortunately, this stage has nothing to do with age. i don't know your age but i congratulate you again for reaching that stage in life.

many don't reach that stage at all and they die as fools. i congratulate you again from being able to separate facts from fiction.

to buttress your point. i have an English name too which makes people not know who i am or where am from. Africans are usually identified by their names, language and culture. if your name doesn't quickly identify you. its a problem. you wouldn't know how it feels if you bare a native name.

Same for Christians too. their is nothing like christian name or biblical name. all names in the bible are either Hebrew or Jewish. It is pointless naming your child an Hebrew name when you can name them the interpreted version in your native language. For example, ISSAC is a Hebrew name while it means 'promise child'. Why name a child Issac when you can simply name them promise or promise child in your native language which is the actual meaning?

This is where African are losing it. if we can open up our minds and eyes and remove the sentiments and hypocrisy. Africans will move forward. they've played with our minds enough, lets rediscover ourselves.

well said

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

How An American Lady Converted To Islam / Do You Know Who Killed Abu Jahl ? ¿ It Was Children ! Click To Read More / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 199
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.