Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:58 PM

Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage (19805 Views)

Christiane Amanpour Interviews President Buhari At 7PM Tonight / Buhari's Interview With CNN Christiane Amanpour (Full Video) / Christiane Amanpour Interviews Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by talktimi(m): 10:08am On Feb 05, 2013
Lagos is completely dark, there's no single drop of electricity in Lagos state, why did the alretardeen" lie na ?
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 10:10am On Feb 05, 2013
you guys need to go and see how Beaf and Crew have taken over amanpour's blog...lol

http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02/04/what-nigeria-and-the-super-bowl-have-in-common/
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by taharqa: 10:11am On Feb 05, 2013
Artistree:
Abeg help me ask am o! Maybe e be PHCN staff, stage-managing d whole fing! My area for Benin na 5mins per day dem dey bring light & d voltage be like candle flame.
There is no area in d country that has 24hr uninterrupted power supply, except ofcos...Aso Rock Villa!
Plz, where in Benin do you stay where you get '5mins of light a day'?? Rili wud love to know.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 10:12am On Feb 05, 2013
ypzilanti:

Hot chick. But you are a woman, na.
i have to recognise the BEAUTIFUL oh,#nolesbolove#
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by talktimi(m): 10:12am On Feb 05, 2013
naijababe:

grin grin grin grin grin Why do people never give up?! Open MIC should have been set up in Benin jare, those phony Lagosians, na ACN pay them to yarn opata jare
Edo state is also ACN controlled o, I have family there and they also confirmed that electricity supply has improved considerably
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by oddy4real(m): 10:15am On Feb 05, 2013
ehie: you guys need to go and see how Beaf and Crew have taken over amanpour's blog...lol

http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02/04/what-nigeria-and-the-super-bowl-have-in-common/
So whoever supports Government is a part of 'Beaf and Crew"?

3 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 10:17am On Feb 05, 2013
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by pauloman(m): 10:17am On Feb 05, 2013
ypzilanti: My advice is that the President's media aides should quietly let this one slide. Something tells me that Amanpour is going to be relentless in destroying their pack of lies if they try a back and forth with her. This one no be Channels or AIT reporter,oh. grin Let's not wash our dirty linen in public. Memo to Abati and Okupe: Leave Amanpour alone,oh...or you will regret it.

This Jonadunce and his government think they can lie to the western media and get away with it. Little do they know that the truth is out there for the seasoned journalist and reporters of the western media to seek for. Imagine the retard claiming on public media that the light situations has improved in Nigeria on that CNN interview the day he was being interviewd...SMH. It was like i should rip off the TV screen and slap him with my two bare hands to STFU !!!

Little did he know that Amanpour would do a follow up on his statement and interview Nigerians on his claim about the country now having steady power supply which has now been established as a blattant lie ! For GEJ to make such a false statement on international media and on top of that further prooved wrong by the CNN report on the interview shows how corrupt minded he is !!!
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by express101: 10:17am On Feb 05, 2013
Chrisbenogor: This is total bullshit Journalism!! angry angry angry angry

Power supply has improved in Nigeria, if where you stay is exempt, sorry and wait small.

These pfocking Neo imperialists angry angry angry angry
Don't be selfish. Maybe ur area has light, but do not speak for the majority of Nigerians who do not have light to carry out business activities, or light in their home. The status quo is not good enough, and shouldn't be acceptable. Nigerians deserve better
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by oddy4real(m): 10:21am On Feb 05, 2013
pauloman:

This Jonadunce and his government think they can lie to the western media and get away with it. Little do they know that the truth is out there for the seasoned journalist and reporters of the western media to seek for. Imagine the retard claiming on public media that the light situations has improved in Nigeria on that CNN interview the day he was being interviewd...SMH. It was like i should rip off the TV screen and slap him with my two bare hands to STFU !!!

Little did he know that Amanpour would do a follow up on his statement and interview Nigerians on his claim about the country now having steady power supply which has now been established as a blattant lie ! For GEJ to make such a false statement on international media and on top of that further prooved wrong by the CNN report on the interview shows how corrupt minded he is !!!
Mr Know all, what is wrong in this statement?
" GEJ: We have not got to where we should be and of course you know the power infrastructure is one investment that you must complete the chain before the, th.., the bulb can light. You must generate, you must transmit, you must distribute. And even if you have the money and the political will to do so, you cannot do it over night. And we are working very hard, and I promise you that before the end of this year power will be really, reason…, reasonably stable in Nigeria. This is something that has been a problem for years, for years. So you cannot correct it overnight. It takes time even if you have the money."

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by pure123: 10:21am On Feb 05, 2013
as it is writn in d gud book.......as it was is now (i just pray 'foreva it will not be)....wetin b her own sef? GEJ thinks we no go get light to watch d interview d@ why he lied.........he no no say we get i pass my neighbour gen
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by taharqa: 10:24am On Feb 05, 2013
Kamanda:

I thought you lived in Enugu....Oh I forget that is your other I.D.called insinseregoat.

-Tip-
(sorry,try edit ur Enugu/Sincere posts so they are different from your Benin/Taharqa posts) But good job,my man.
When you quit behaving like a dementd twig, let me know,k?

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by luli4life: 10:27am On Feb 05, 2013
PHCN PROMO: pay 3months nepa bills and win a GENERATOR grin

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Demdem(m): 10:28am On Feb 05, 2013
ypzilanti:

Development does not have anywhere to hide. It's only in Nigeria that we have people asking others to look under rocks for on-going 'development'.

When power briefly improved about mid 2012, everyone agreed that it has indeed improved. Those of us who are always suspicious of F.G. agreed that it had improved too. Even opposition parties agreed it had improved, but cautioned ominiously about being in hurry to celebrate. Eventually, the opposition was proven right: Barth Nnaji was sacked, and we went back to square one. Now the megawatts are all being 'generated' in the pages of the newspapers.

Summarry: GEJ should accelerate the privatisation process. When we have 10,000 megawatts, then he can crow. For now all the boasting and bravado is hollow for people who are watching his interviews with generators purring outside.

Even Demdem confirmed that it did improved and went further to appreciate the retardeen then, now its back to square one. Nnaji seems to have taken the key away with him.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by KokoBeware: 10:28am On Feb 05, 2013
v love: i think dis should not be the issue, we agree that power has improved but why cant we have uninterrupted power supply after so much billions has been spent and presently on going.

Nigeria is one of the richest countries where the cbn governor can be paid 25,000 a day for just an allowance of whatever he calls it saying that the president approved his allowances and income, where the entire nigerian airspace is filled with private jets jettying off and fro different destinations, where a man that stole the sum of 23billion naira can be given a fine of 750,000.00 or a jail option of 2year in jail while cant we can uninterrupted power supply.

Because it doesn't take 2years to generate and transmit enough power for 160million people........ power has improved no doubt and it's improving... GEJ never claimed we had 24hour power supply... He said it has improved and still went ahead to say there is still more to be done... Most people did not watch or read the transcript of the interview.... Just jumped along with the bandwagon claiming he said what not.....

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by PrettyRita(f): 10:40am On Feb 05, 2013
The truth is, power has improved in Nigeria. I bet you, if we were as old as America is today, light won't go off for one second, especially with the structure GEJ has put in place.
Amanpour could not stand the shame of power going off in the states, and in defense, she sieves, selected those that will suit her mission to sensationalize the matter. Atleast Nigerians now know that america isn't what we think. They are not what they claim or portray. Nigeria is improving.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by gbadexy(m): 10:50am On Feb 05, 2013
Our president has already had bad reputation as a corrupt man by the U.S and U.K.
They saw his speech saying he doesn't give a dam on asset declaration and are following up on d massive fraud in the country hence the subtle accusations by obama and david cameron.
So this CNN lady is just reflecting the impression and they've already concluded on our president.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by pauloman(m): 10:50am On Feb 05, 2013
KokoBeware:

But she left out this part which I think justified his statement

JONATHAN: We are not quite where we should be, and of course you know the power infrastructure is
one investment that you must complete the (inaudible) before the ball collides. You must generate, you
must transmit, you must (inaudible), and even if you have the money and the political will to do so, you
cannot do it overnight. And we are working very hard and I promise you that, before the end of this
year how I will be reasonably stable in Nigeria. This is something that has been a problem for years, for
years. So, you cannot correct it overnight. It takes time, even if you have the money.

Inaudible right ? Mark the words "at the end of the year power will be stable". At the end of the year 2013 the power situation in Naija will still remain the same if not worse....its not a cause !
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Reptyle(m): 10:51am On Feb 05, 2013
Okija_juju: Watched the darn thing live yesternight on CNN

Why would CNN choose some retards to film?! That Okoko Yoruba girl was just speaking fhune (with 'How' being pronounced as 'ow') and she was overly excited to be filmed by CNN. [b]She even claimed they had 4 generators at home.

IMO, Light situation in my area has improved from the norm. I havent had need to put on my generator at night in over a month. I have an inverter but between the Inverter and NEPA light, I always have power all night when I am home. Infact, at night, if the light goes out, its always turned back on in under 30 minutes..

[/b]

I actually have 4 generators at home...plus one inverter. I do not want to believe that the few of you who are excited about the regularity in power supply are lying. But the truth for some of us is that majority of Nigerians are in darkness for the larger part of the day.

Anyone who lives in Satellite Town and environs in Lagos can testify that electricity is a scarce commodity in that area. My generators are overworked and I spend a premium on petrol every month.

So you cannot blame people who like me, felt insulted by the President's boastful claim on CNN about how the average Lagosian is happy about electricity. Next time, let him present the statistics as they are and allow CNN or whosoever wants to know make their deductions about progress in the sector or a lack thereof. The President's media handlers need to coach him on responding to questions objectively and honestly.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ypzilanti: 10:57am On Feb 05, 2013
PrettyRita: The truth is, power has improved in Nigeria. I bet you, if we were as old as America is today, light won't go off for one second, especially with the structure GEJ has put in place.
Amanpour could not stand the shame of power going off in the states, and in defense, she sieves, selected those that will suit her mission to sensationalize the matter. Atleast Nigerians now know that america isn't what we think. They are not what they claim or portray. Nigeria is improving.

This is a really dumb post. Power went off once for 30 minutes in how many years and you say she was ashamed? Power goes off occassionally in every developed country in the world. Once a year, maybe twice...electric errors and overloading maybe. Sometimes for maintanance issues.

If I was the one that employed you to the 40 lap top squad, I would fire you today. is this really the quality of reasoning that comes from your brain?
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ochukoccna: 10:58am On Feb 05, 2013
taharqa: Just watched the programme Now and am DISGUSTED at the extremely 'bad Journalism' that she put together in that short clip.

She gathered just 3 persons in Lagos and asked them to say something about their power supply, and all of them said that power had not increased and that they had not had light for 3 weeks!!! Those are the views of an average Nigerian, right? *smh*.

I stay in Benin and Power has improved on my end for many many months now except for some few times when there are National issues, like last Friday till Wednesday this week when we had a terrible supply probably cos of the new Benin-Onitsha Transmission Line repairs. THIS IS FACT.

Amanpour just behaved as badly as that other CNN presenter (the Kenya Guy- I have forgotten his name) who presented an extremely wrong programme on the Niger Delta crisis some years ago, and just like this programme also gathered FAKE persons to conduct his interviews. Nigeria protested, He was SACKED and that ended his International career. She ought to know better.
The kenyan dude(cant recall his name) was sacked because of sexual harrassment
Get your facts right
Stop doing an Abati who accused Femi Fani Kayode for something his predecessor(Aborishade) did
On power improvement,did not your boss(Jonny go slow) say preference would be given to Lagos,Abuja,PH&other centres of commerce?
How come Benin is now more economically viable tham Lasgidi?
Was it not Jonny go slow who mentioned Lagos in his PR stunt?
Amanpour did the professional thing by:investigate&validate his claims(something many of the Nigerian press fail at)
So she has to interview half the population of Lagos in a 22-25 minute show before its credible?
Or jonny go slow slippers lickers like you?
See utter delusion on your part playing deaf to the fact that Nigerians are UTTERLY DUSGUSTED by your boss& slippers lickers like you

May God bless Amanpour jo
If 9ja press men follow up stories to butress or dispute government's (at all levels) many spurious claims,this part of the world would be a better place
Good journalistic practice CNN
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by jeddyMay(f): 10:59am On Feb 05, 2013
taharqa: I reside in d Ugbowo and Upper Mission areas; and power has very very significantly improvd in those areas and MOST parts of Benin, except for d FEW things when there are national systems issues like I said. THIS IS FACT. They interruptd light about 20mins ago and just restord it now- this is not unusual to us here where I stay for almost a yr.... NO body talkd about 24hrs CONSTANT supply, dat is not even possible for MANY parts of Nigeria even b4 2015; am talking of significant improvements and real work done. GEJ inheritd a DEAD power sector for Goodness' sake, and only a complete IJIOT wud expect him (or anybody for that matter) to clear d decays of decades in 2yrs. WHAT THA FUVK IS WRONG WITH US

the fact that you have does not mean we all are experiencing same.
the truth is generally speaking, naija neva improve(power wise)....GBAM
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Xano(m): 11:02am On Feb 05, 2013
taharqa: I reside in d Ugbowo and Upper Mission areas; and power has very very significantly improvd in those areas and MOST parts of Benin, except for d FEW things when there are national systems issues like I said. THIS IS FACT. They interruptd light about 20mins ago and just restord it now- this is not unusual to us here where I stay for almost a yr.... NO body talkd about 24hrs CONSTANT supply, dat is not even possible for MANY parts of Nigeria even b4 2015; am talking of significant improvements and real work done. GEJ inheritd a DEAD power sector for Goodness' sake, and only a complete IJIOT wud expect him (or anybody for that matter) to clear d decays of decades in 2yrs. WHAT THA FUVK IS WRONG WITH US
thank you.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by dapachez: 11:04am On Feb 05, 2013
Shebi you stay in ugbowo which stretches from uselu market encompassing technical college area,uwasota,nova road,adolor college road,federal government college road,university of benin teaching hospital and university of benin? My family stays in benin and I visit often,so tell me specifically where you experience the improvement.fine in decembar during the yultide the light supply improved but will a few days of light supply make up for the months of epileptic power supply. I. Spent more then 25 yrs of my life in benin so I know what am taking about. The only area where light is a bit stable in benin is sapele road and it has been like that for decades right from d military era and parts of GRA n ekehwan road apart from those areas the others from ikpoba hill to aduwawa to 1st,2nd and 3rd east circular to textile mill road,ogida,siloko areas have never had steady light supply. I know how much we spend on fuel weekly.was edo state mentioned among the states that will be affected by the onitsha relay wahala? NO. Let's get our facts straight and call a spade a spade. Propaganda will not when so many are suffering and a few suffer. Let's work together to make this country better. We deserve power supply,its our right and not a priviledge and what's all these nonsense of improvement,isn't it long overdue? Let's hold our leaders accountable and stop playing to the gallery. It hasn't been easy for this administration but failure aint an option. If Jonathan can deliver adeqate power or make our refinaries work come 2015 I will be at the fore front mobilizingg for him
taharqa: Just watched the programme Now and am DISGUSTED at the extremely 'bad Journalism' that she put together in that short clip.

She gathered just 3 persons in Lagos and asked them to say something about their power supply, and all of them said that power had not increased and that they had not had light for 3 weeks!!! Those are the views of an average Nigerian, right? *smh*.

I stay in Benin and Power has improved on my end for many many months now except for some few times when there are National issues, like last Friday till Wednesday this week when we had a terrible supply probably cos of the new Benin-Onitsha Transmission Line repairs. THIS IS FACT.

Amanpour just behaved as badly as that other CNN presenter (the Kenya Guy- I have forgotten his name) who presented an extremely wrong programme on the Niger Delta crisis some years ago, and just like this programme also gathered FAKE persons to conduct his interviews. Nigeria protested, He was SACKED and that ended his International career. She ought to know better.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by MurphyT1: 11:11am On Feb 05, 2013
Hatred for GEJ has clouded alot of peoples reasoning, some believe that once you r not criticising him, u r a bootlicker...shame on you. Imagine Amanpour using Nigeria to score point for her self, shifting attention from what happenned in the super bowl which affects the image of her country negatively to that of Nig which we already know has been there, and efforts are made by the present administration to improve the situation. And we Nigerians are helpin her run down our country, truth be told, comparing power situation now and some yrs back, one will realise that the current situation is far better than the previous, we can comfortably boast of having a good power supply, no doubt, it may not be steady like 24hrs, but it last for a reasonable number of hours. let not allow this foriegn guys manipulate us for their gains, it doesnt speak good of us...they turn against us once they get what they want. This prob of light has always been there, and no government has ever shown any interest like this one, if u look critically and want to be sincere in your judgement, you will agree with me. So why should the one who is trying to allieviate this prob be the one taking all the insults and blames, at least for once, letz keep political sentiment (i no itz impossible) aside and be truthful in what we say.

3 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by pauloman(m): 11:12am On Feb 05, 2013
dapachez: Shebi you stay in ugbowo which stretches from uselu market encompassing technical college area,uwasota,nova road,adolor college road,federal government college road,university of benin teaching hospital and university of benin? My family stays in benin and I visit often,so tell me specifically where you experience the improvement.fine in decembar during the yultide the light supply improved but will a few days of light supply make up for the months of epileptic power supply. I. Spent more then 25 yrs of my life in benin so I know what am taking about. The only area where light is a bit stable in benin is sapele road and it has been like that for decades right from d military era and parts of GRA n ekehwan road apart from those areas the others from ikpoba hill to aduwawa to 1st,2nd and 3rd east circular to textile mill road,ogida,siloko areas have never had steady light supply. I know how much we spend on fuel weekly.was edo state mentioned among the states that will be affected by the onitsha relay wahala? NO. Let's get our facts straight and call a spade a spade. Propaganda will not when so many are suffering and a few suffer. Let's work together to make this country better. We deserve power supply,its our right and not a priviledge and what's all these nonsense of improvement,isn't it long overdue? Let's hold our leaders accountable and stop playing to the gallery. It hasn't been easy for this administration but failure aint an option. If Jonathan can deliver adeqate power or make our refinaries work come 2015 I will be at the fore front mobilizingg for him

My brother it is a pity how Nigerians have seen their Right as citizens to now a Privilege to be enjoyed from the Government and their leaders !!!
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by holyvirgin: 11:13am On Feb 05, 2013
Sai GEJ come 2015....
If she likes she can tell the whole world that nigeria is the worst place to reside(I saw smth like that way back so it won't be new)I still know that mr president has done what no president has ever done... Power is improving in Adamawa state, Gombe state, and even Bauchi state. Lagoshians should ask Tinubu and fashocrook why the light hasnt improved in lagos. May be he has used it for juju again cheesy grin
Sai Jonathan

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:15am On Feb 05, 2013
express101:
Don't be selfish. Maybe ur area has light, but do not speak for the majority of Nigerians who do not have light to carry out business activities, or light in their home. The status quo is not good enough, and shouldn't be acceptable. Nigerians deserve better

Jeez we are not yet at the promised land, I agree!

The decay in the power sector over the many years the military held power cannot and I repeat CANNOT be repaired in even 10 years. It will take TIME even if all the money in the world is there.

OBJ used 16 billion dollars to produce darkness was never able to get generation above 2k MW for 8 years same thing Yar adua. I do not like the pdp or GEJ, but we should stop letting these people pull us down each time. Na so slave trade start, you think Christiane is on your side? Dream pfocking on!

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 11:19am On Feb 05, 2013
So many Nairalanders are unintelligent. What Amanpour is doing is trying to cover the power outage issue in the Super Bowl using the comparison tactics. You find a bigger problem to compare with your smaller problem and you say, my condition is far better than my neighbours. Now I was disappointed to hear of Power Outage in a Superbowl in USA what ever that means, is irrelevant to my person and business. A country that has over 300 yrs of independence witnessed such a shameful situation and not apologize to the audience, yet Amanpour is looking for a Country whose populace are not savvy, less patriotic, pro-American and stifles a comparison. Nigeria is my country and not Amanpour's so no matter what it takes, we will get it right, we are more than half the population of USA with less than 100yrs of independence. Amanpour, what Nigeria needs is encouragement and not destructive comparisons. Lest I forget, we also won a Match against Cote D'voire, will you care to amplify that to the world ? I am coming to CNN and your twitter handle to make you feel me.

4 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by hillsate: 11:21am On Feb 05, 2013
GEJ fell short of calling Amanpour and indeed dept of state, USA liars on his interview with Amanpour.
You do not insinuate these guys as liars without they shoving the truth to your face.
GEJ bought wahala by even calling the dept of state as an interest group.
They will so humiliate GEJ for trying to mar the image of USA. Next time he hears Amanpour, he'll think twice before granting interview if he has no truth to say.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Okijajuju1(m): 11:21am On Feb 05, 2013
Reptyle:

I actually have 4 generators at home...plus one inverter. I do not want to believe that the few of you who are excited about the regularity in power supply are lying. But the truth for some of us is that majority of Nigerians are in darkness for the larger part of the day.

Anyone who lives in Satellite Town and environs in Lagos can testify that electricity is a scarce commodity in that area. My generators are overworked and I spend a premium on petrol every month.

So you cannot blame people who like me, felt insulted by the President's boastful claim on CNN about how the average Lagosian is happy about electricity. Next time, let him present the statistics as they are and allow CNN or whosoever wants to know make their deductions about progress in the sector or a lack thereof. The President's media handlers need to coach him on responding to questions objectively and honestly.

[b]I am not doubting that people do indeedhave as much as 4 generators in their houses and offices..

My dad has 4 Diesel generators as well and an Inverter. But that babe was just talking for the sake of it. Now I wonder why you felt insulted by the presidents comment. Here is an extract of the transcript from that CNN interview with the president;

Christiane Amanpour: Alright, well the United States Assistant Secretary of State has said that the method of the crackdown is inflaming the population and inflaming the situation.

Let me move on to the issue of corruption. When I interviewed you three years ago now, in your first interview as you assumed power, you said that the main issues for the people of Nigeria are corruption and even electricity, power you talked about. Well today those are still the same issues. Some 60% of the people of Nigeria don’t have enough or regular power, regular electricity. There’re constantly shortages and outages. Three years later, what do you have to say about that?

GEJ: I would have loved that you asked an ordinary Nigerian on the streets of Lagos, Abuja or any other city the situation about power.

That is one area that Nigerians are quite pleased with the government, that our commitment to improve power is working. So if you are saying something different I am really surprised. That is one area, one area that even civil society members agreed that government has kept faith with its promise.

Christiane Amanpour: So, so what should I tell people that keep contacting us and say they hope they have electricity just to be able to watch this interview on their televisions? Clearly it is still a big problem. Is it still a big problem, despite, you say, the progress you say you’ve made?

GEJ: We have not got to where we should be and of course you know the power infrastructure is one investment that you must complete the chain before the, th.., the bulb can light. You must generate, you must transmit, you must distribute. And even if you have the money and the political will to do so, you cannot do it over night. And we are working very hard, and I promise you that before the end of this year power will be really, reason…, reasonably stable in Nigeria. This is something that has been a problem for years, for years. So you cannot correct it overnight. It takes time even if you have the money.[/i]

What exactly did the president say that was wrong or remotely infuriating about his statement?!

The president said that Nigerians are happy with the current improvement noticed in electricity, I concur. Many Nairalanders also concur. Its evident in our homes. He also pointed out that we havent reached the pinnacle or even close, but without a doubt, there is an improvement. [/b]

4 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 11:22am On Feb 05, 2013
I stay at bwari Just opposite the Nigerian Law school, Abuja... I should say the interruptions in my area has reduced significantly. Its still not 24hrs but for most of the 24hrs we have stable usable electrical energy. I have not had to turn on my gas cooker for a long time as I have been using my Electric cooker.
Its not perfect and we still have a long way to go, however I must say we have moved forward. However little the movement though, I am certain its Forward. This is my little Localised observation. It might not be the same else where, but it really seems to me that its a gradual project....

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari And Other Women At Social Media Change Agents Gathering Last Night / Budget Padding: Dogara Begged For Forgiveness, Says Jibrin / APC Convention: Oshiomhole's Endorsement Foolish And Childish - Oyegun Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.