Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage (19968 Views)

It Turns Me On Seeing My Wife Hurt, Sad Or In Pain / End of story. / 70-yr-old Man Insists On Marrying 12-yr-old To Boost Wealth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by Lakayana: 1:11pm On Feb 06, 2013
Nothing spoil the papa dey on point.
Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by aniffy4eva(m): 1:12pm On Feb 06, 2013
A man that has to double-check who i say i am is NOT worthy of being my father-in-law.
Case closed.

3 Likes

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by Nobody: 1:14pm On Feb 06, 2013
Konnektions146: nice one, i can do stuff like this, i ve even did a background check severally on dates .

i would do same to anyone i care about but i may have to inform the person and make sure he is cool with a check.

people getting smarter.
The Man is too far,someone can hv gd work today next month he is sack,then what is d benefit of investigating.U can marry to a Banker,Teache,Lawyer,Danfo driver,Politician,Thief,etc . If u find
Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by freecocoa(f): 1:14pm On Feb 06, 2013
What's the big deal about his to be father inlaw visiting him in his office?except your cousin has something to hide.

My own father will even do much more than what the man wants to do before giving his precious daughters out to any man, shioor.

1 Like

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by abbeyty(m): 1:20pm On Feb 06, 2013
maybe when she turns 50 and still single her father will marry her.

2 Likes

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by dammytosh: 1:23pm On Feb 06, 2013
baby_123:

My point exactly. It comes across as the parents being too concerned about money. Your daughter, who you raised should know better. My dad may only get to know the family and family background, but i dont think he would have gone that far. Its quite suggestive of greed and open to various interpretations. I would never bring a criminal element home, and they trust me on this. WHAT! I would have been solely on my own.

Daughter know better ? You have not seen anything in the name of sex (sorry love). Girls will see things like this and still work into their death trap.

How many foolish girls date a guy for donkey years and still will not know that. He smokes,Drinks heavily.Carries prostitutes and surprisingly that they are not acceptable by the guy's family.
Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by samsy5460(m): 1:23pm On Feb 06, 2013
Vikin: cheesy
It happened to my younger sister, this one from South Africa came calling to marry my sister. My dad enquiry about his job and he said he was a lecturer in SA.

Anyway, Popsi demanded on the condition that him ( Popsi) wil visit his office in SA before giving out his precious daughter.
The guy demanded for my sister to visit or my dad should google the Internet and find out about the school himself.

Anyway, Popsi said that he will do the visit not his daughter. cheesy

It never work out though, she is now with her new hubby.

Poster, parents do this to make sure their children don't go into a marriage that will probably fail or bring trouble to their wards. Especially the Igbo ppl, they believe in marriage is for better for worst. Let him come over to visit your friend, he shouldn't be worried if he has nothing to hide.
Are you certain he has nothing to hide If na you nko...give your kid to a kidnapper in businessman's suit to wife...be sure to get her back in a few years or maybe even months later as a widow...if she is lucky that is. Papa & mama...shine yours eyes ooo.
Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by Gcares(m): 1:28pm On Feb 06, 2013
Orikinla: YOU definitely must be joking.

Two thumbs up.

Majority of poor people are married couples in the ghettos, because the poor men married when they were not capable of starting a family.
To majority of Nigerian men, starting a family means impregnating women without even the provisions for the proper welfare of the children.
The most evil and wicked thing is to have a child in poverty and make the innocent child suffer in want and misery.
As we always say, DON'T BREED THEM IF YOU CANNOT FEED THEM.
Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by Melahou(m): 1:30pm On Feb 06, 2013
thought things like this can only happen in nollywood....God abeg oooooo shocked shocked
Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by coogar: 1:33pm On Feb 06, 2013
Vikin:
It's not about being hungry, with what the society is turning into, I don't blame them trying to know where their daughters are being married into

by the same token, where's the trust? why would a father-in-law not trust me via face value? follow me to my place of work to find out if i am employed? after then what else? spërm motility test? psych evaluation? that's arrant nonsense!

ok, let's flip the script, how many of today's women would follow their mother in law to a clinic to have a virginity test or fertility test?.......by the same token, there are lots of women who have done multiple abortions with their wombs completely removed.....

using your own words, i wouldn't blame any mother in law trying to know who her son is getting married to cos there are plenty of damaged goods out there in today's world! if women have nothing to hide, they should follow their mother in law to such clinics and have the test.

i rest my case!

11 Likes

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by Braimoh100(m): 1:38pm On Feb 06, 2013
poverty is a disease.
Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by COOLDUN: 1:39pm On Feb 06, 2013
Vikin:

My dad did similar thing, her graduate doctor that he had spent a fortune on, then one man just come to claim that he is blah blah blah from SA. The old man requested for flight ticket oh! Lol....

Ok the flight ticket thing was taking it too far! But

The thing was that, he didn't really like the guy and hearing so much on drug life is SA, the man begin fear oh.
Good it didn't work out, if not, maybe my sister would be the one carrying the burden if it turns out the guy was into drugs..

Good that your father rejected the guy even before his proposal to your sister, ok let me ask you these few questions: 1: What was your father before he married your mother? Did your mother's father visit his base and office before approving the marriage? 2: Were there no criminals during his youth age? 3: Which hospital is your sister heading as a medical doctor? Which university and grade? 4: Does it mean that a jobless hard working man can not marry anymore? Is there any fixed date for a man not make it in life?

I am not against your father from deciding for your sister, because she herself is a gold digger too, because she was expecting a millionaire husband, she never loved the guy but after his status or physical appearance.If she was in love really your father wouldn't have done anything to stop her from marrying the guy. Many successful men in this world today were no body before eg: Bill Gate dropped out from school to face his job, can any of your generation be compared to him? If he came that time and told your father that he was a school drop out, would your father allow your sister to marry him?

There are a lot of hard working young men who have not yet made it but are busy doing legal business to meet up in life, your father is one of the problems of this generation take it or leave it. Many young and naive men fell to your greedy parents types to claim what they are not just to please the kinds of your father. The only thing that remains permanent in this life is change, nobody today can be somebody tomorrow.

Your father want your sister to marry someone who will steal the people's pension money tomorrow and pay the fine of a change to be freed,while the pensioners die in abject poverty, while he come to your family and spoil you people with blood money and gifts.Your father is looking for a politician who will loot the common wealth of people to come and give him a chieftancy titles in your village and town right. Nonsense.

How sure is your father about the future of your sister new husband? your father and other parents like him are big disgrace to this new generation. Not all the Nigerians in RSA are criminals ok, we have a lot of educated professional successful Nigerians here in all the sexes. Only few Nigerians in RSA are into crime. Many are legal street traders living better than the useless parents that are calling Nigerians in RSA nasty names.

I repeat it again, your father, sister and your entire family are gold diggers, challenge me if you can. The young man who came to marry her was not courageous enough, because there was no love. But demanding for a flight ticket from his daughter's suitor was an act of exploration. Your sister was not matured enough for marriage, also never knew what she needed in a man. She is a materialistic type that was why she fell for your father's greed.

What the reasonable parents prays and wish to their children is good family background, the character of the suitor, and happiness of their children in their matrimonial homes, and not the financial status of the suitors of their children.Some parent are too funny mostly in Nigeria.God help us.

6 Likes

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by Dreal1247: 1:41pm On Feb 06, 2013
A man dat tries 2 know abt his son-in-law to b indept must b a good father & wil surely make a good father-in-law. My brother, u ar a lucky man.
Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by hbabe(f): 1:55pm On Feb 06, 2013
I think some people are getting it wrong. The check may not be to find out how rich the guy is but just to sure he has a source of livelihood. The father may not be doing the check out of greed as some have suggested but out of concern for the daughter's welfare.
Comparing this situation to virginity/fertility test is just absurd.

3 Likes

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by coogar: 1:59pm On Feb 06, 2013
hbabe: I think some people are getting it wrong. The check may not be to find out how rich the guy is but just to sure he has a source of livelihood. The father may not be doing the check out of greed as some have suggested but out of concern for the daughter's welfare.
Comparing this situation to virginity/fertility test is just absurd.

by the same token, the mother is not checking out of greed but out of genuine concern for her son's welfare before the son enters one chance marriage. by all means, let the checks begin.......

5 Likes

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by fubbyy(m): 2:04pm On Feb 06, 2013
I disagree and detest the man's attitude to the highest order, what if he visits, finds out that the guy is real then gave his daughter out and 2morrow something happened and the guy became poor, what will he do?

He acted as if he's selling his daughter which we don't do in igbo land

The daughter should be the one doing the findings not the man

4 Likes

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by vanstanzy(m): 2:05pm On Feb 06, 2013
Yes, the father is right, cos CROOKS ABOUND and they are EVERYWHERE.
or could that be another way of DISCHARGING the dude.*Just thinking!*

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by Bawss1(m): 2:07pm On Feb 06, 2013
coogar:

by the same token, where's the trust? why would a father-in-law not trust me via face value? follow me to my place of work to find out if i am employed? after then what else? spërm motility test? psych evaluation? that's arrant nonsense!

ok, let's flip the script, how many of today's women would follow their mother in law to a clinic to have a virginity test or fertility test?.......by the same token, there are lots of women who have done multiple abortions with their wombs completely removed.....

using your own words, i wouldn't blame any mother in law trying to know who her son is getting married to cos there are plenty of damaged goods out there in today's world! if women have nothing to hide, they should follow their mother in law to such clinics and have the test.

i rest my case!

The good ol' NL Family Section flip right there!

How would the ladies feel if they were at the receiving end of this "background check"?

Nice one

1 Like

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by segzybam(m): 2:08pm On Feb 06, 2013
While I don't blame d popsi for tryna verify his claim, I blame d way he went about it. Must he be d 1 visiting d office? Y not send some1 else. If Ϟą my papa d bobo no go even know say C.I.A dey investigate am.
Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by Nobody: 2:11pm On Feb 06, 2013
baby_123: Hugry family. Your cousin should hold his ears and flee. To prevent stories that touch which will wreck him in the future. He will most likely be taking care of this mans responsibilities. lipsrsealed. God forbid any of my brothers marry into such.

i still insist seun osewa should include d dislike button!!! some people need to know theres something wrong with d way they view things.
Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by geeez: 2:15pm On Feb 06, 2013
I love this kind of father.
Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by yuzedo: 2:15pm On Feb 06, 2013
Nobody wants his in-law posing as a GM to end up in reality, a meat-seller at Oshodi.... grin lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by BABE3: 2:22pm On Feb 06, 2013
jemecks: I followed my cousin to see the parents of his proposed wife,,on getting there we introduced our selves and presents the wine as custom demands in ibo land, then my cousin made known his intention to the girl's parents.

To my greatest surprise the dad asked my cousin his work and he told him,so after discussing with them we took our leave with the promise to come back as soon as they are through with inquiries, in order to pay her dowry, but to our greatest surprise the dad of the girl insisted that he must visit my cousin in his office or company and monitor the office for some time before he will give his daughter out to him.

plz Nairalanders what do u think this man is up to, i need your contributions and advice because my cousin is considering breaking up with her .

Wetin dey worry the dad? Monitoring the guy's office will prove what? If he really wants to do a background check, then that's not how it's done. He's a novice! He needs to physically attach himself to the to-be son in law for a whole month! Eat, drink and shower with him!!

Leeches! The dad is a leech! Isn't that even embarrassing ? Some people no get shame.

How would he feel if îdîôts are probing into his own daughter's affairs.
So if he's not satisfied with the "state" of the office, he won't give his daughter out? Who the daughter be sef? Blue-ivy?

Illiterates! The dad is . . . lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by BABE3: 2:24pm On Feb 06, 2013
Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by Tstark(m): 2:24pm On Feb 06, 2013
fubbyy: I disagree and detest the man's attitude to the highest order, what if he visits, finds out that the guy is real then gave his daughter out and 2morrow something happened and the guy became poor, what will he do?

He acted as if he's selling his daughter which we don't do in igbo land

The daughter should be the one doing the findings not the man

Thank you sir! Unless the fatherinlaw raised a fool and doesnt trust her judgement

3 Likes

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by BABE3: 2:26pm On Feb 06, 2013
Tstark:

Thank you sir! Unless the fatherinlaw raised a fool and doesnt trust her judgement

You're right on point. That's the picture he's painting and many more.

1 Like

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by Nobody: 2:30pm On Feb 06, 2013
Jonathan, Abiola and even Awolowo was breed from poor homes.

A classical example is Jonathan that emotionally stated 'I have no shoe' to prove the level of poverty he experience. Rumour has it that his present wife, patience dealing on petty articles at the borokiri axis of port Harcourt supported him through his education. The rest is history.
Do we know how many ladies and fathers that could have rejected him back then?
People should learn to invest in other peoples future not ready made.

3 Likes

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by COOLDUN: 2:36pm On Feb 06, 2013
yuzedo: Nobody wants his in-law posing as a GM to end up in reality, a meat-seller at Oshodi.... grin lipsrsealed

Is meat selling a crime again? it is this kind of marriage suitors screenings that push people to claim what they are not. Some people mistake these greedy parents as people who love the well being of their daughters, Lie, these parents are looking for men that will carry their liability families.Some of them do have fully grown up men who are not doing anything, just there waiting for a man who will be their victims as an in-law. Financial status of a man is not supposed to be the first question in these greedy parents interview lists of questions.

That is why you see a lot big girls living alone and destroying the young and innocent girls into believing that marriage is nothing to be worried about, because they foolishly allowed their greedy parents to scare away their destined husbands with greediness. Their new slogan is age is only but a number. Igbo ones used to say DI GBAKWAA OKU.

They are busy attending the weddings of the ugly but wise girls, wearing expensive dresses to attract the sons of Dangotes,Otedolas, Adenugas and Babangidas, who will marry them and their entire lazy families.Nonsense.

3 Likes

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by StateOfMind: 2:39pm On Feb 06, 2013
Bawss1:

The good ol' NL Family Section flip right there!

How would the ladies feel if they were at the receiving end of this "background check"?

Nice one

Coogar's analogy is totally out of place here. This father's concern isn't out of greed, I believe he only wants to make sure the daughter he raised for years isn't falling into wrong hands. It doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't trust his daughter's judgement, all he wants is to see for himself, and if that's a criterion to marrying his daughter, then so be it.

And btw, infertility isn't just a female thing anymore, if you think a mother-inlaw should run several fertility test on her daughter-in-law to be, then she should be ready to do the same for her son too..no be by length or width!

1 Like

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by yuzedo: 2:42pm On Feb 06, 2013
COOLDUN:

Is meat selling a crime again? it is this kind of marriage suitors screenings that push people to claim what they are not. Some people mistake these greedy parents as people who love the well being of their daughters, Lie, these parents are looking for men that will carry their liability families.Some of them do have fully grown up men who are not doing anything, just there waiting for a man who will be their victims as an in-law. Financial status of a man is not supposed to be the first question in these greedy parents interview lists of questions.That is why you see a lot big girls living alone and destroying the young and innocent girls into believing that marriage is nothing to be worried about, because they foolishly allowed their greedy parents to scare away their destined husbands with greediness. Their new slogan is age is only but a number. Igbo ones used to say DI GBAKWAA OKU.

They are busy attending the weddings of the ugly but wise girls, wearing expensive dresses to attract the sons of Dangotes,Odetola, Adenugas and Babangidas, who will marry them and their entire lazy families.Nonsense.
Yo! You have been writing text-books and epistles that nobody reads and nobody gives a f(u)ck about.. Who hurt you bro? Do you have esteem issues? Life isn't that serious son. CHILL THE F(U)CK OUT and catch a laugh! smiley
Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by Nobody: 2:45pm On Feb 06, 2013
Orikinla:

Two thumbs up.

Majority of poor people are married couples in the ghettos, because the poor men married when they were not capable of starting a family.
To majority of Nigerian men, starting a family means impregnating women without even the provisions for the proper welfare of the children.
The most evil and wicked thing is to have a child in poverty and make the innocent child suffer in want and misery.
As we always say, DON'T BREED THEM IF YOU CANNOT FEED THEM.

I disagree with your assertion. Does it mean that a poor man should not marry again? I proposed to my wife and met her dad when i was still doing a menial job in a factory.In fact, i empty my bank account to buy the engagement ring for her then. At that time, she was working and earning good pay from a well known international company. If your assertion above is the norm, then i am not qualify to talk to her not and her parent.

I believed that this issue is two fold. If you raised and know your daughter very well, then you will believed in them and trust the person that they bring to you as their future husband. Agreed, there are fake and layabout guys around today. But, not all guys are fake and lazy. There are still good guys out there. But, if you raised your daughter to be superficial and asses a guy based on his bank account or kind of car he drive, then don't be surprised if they are drawn to 419 or drug pusher. But, if you raised her in such a way that they can take good decision in life, rest assured they will make you proud in their choice of a man in life.

Assuming my father in law (who is now one of my best friend just like my dad) want to follow me to where i work. It means that he does not trust me. If you dont trust me as a future son in-law, why will i marry your daughter. Trust me, if a lady have a good father and male role model (dad) who respect and love their mum during their formative year, they will always look for a man that have similar good characteristics like their dad.

If you dont trust and raise your daughter in the right way, you will not trust their decision as per the man they want to share their life with.

3 Likes

Re: Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage by BABE3: 2:46pm On Feb 06, 2013
StateOfMind:

Coogar's analogy is totally out of place here. This father's concern isn't out of greed, I believe he only wants to make sure the daughter he raised for years isn't falling into wrong hands. It doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't trust his daughter's judgement, all he wants is to see for himself, and if that's a criterion to marrying his daughter, then so be it.

He wants to make sure his daughter doesn't fall Into wrong hand? And going into his future SIL's office for a few hours will rule out the possibility that the SIL is wife beater, a serial killer, a cheat, a sterile bloke??

If you really really want to make sure your daughter is in the right hand, you think going sitting in an office and staring at people is the way to go about it ?? In short, you can't know these things for sure. Your daughter knows best! She may even be the one hiding things from you(the father).

The dad is hungry! or he's being over protective like you claim but he's going about it the wrong way. . . common sense and decorum should be applied here. There's should be a balance! The two adults planing on getting married are grown! . .except he raised an idîôt, ike someone said earlier.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Woman Narrates How Husband Died After Returning From Church / Advice To All The Single Ladies In The House / Man Untangling His Wife's Locks, Sings Daddy Showkey's Song For Her (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.