Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,926 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

Travelling To Canada - Travel (73) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada (454239 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (189) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada by Cuddlemii: 3:56pm On Nov 15, 2010
tosinosho1992:

@ Cuddlemii,

What's your yardstick for measuring the quality of an institution? Could you list out all the "well ranked" schools that offered you admissions in the UK, SA, Dubai and Ghana, and let's compare their world rating with that of Memorial University,there u'll find the answer to your question about the standard of Memorial University. It's obvious you have not  done your homework.

I use rankings, Accreditation, Career Services, Job placements, Alumni records or feedback from alumnus, Faculty, Concerntration (finance, info sys mgt, supply chain) etc.

1) Bradford School of global management ( Financial times and Economist ranking)

2) Thunderbird School of global management ( 1 in international biz in the world)

3) Ohio State University ( Financial times and Economist ranking)

4) University of Cape town ( Financial times ranking)

5) Lagos Business School

6) University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

The above is a summary of schools I was considering out of the ones that gave me admission

Below are summaries of schools that gave me admission and I didnt consider

1) Wayne State Uni
2) Illinois inst of tech
3) University Of Stellenbosch SA
4) Hult Intl business
Wolverhampton, coventry, hull, Aberdeen, RGU.
british canadian uni dubai
middlesex uni

School that didnt admit:
York Uni
Mcgill Uni

I have not been able to go to my dream schools because of funds so I have to cut my coat according to my size and that is why I am looking for a cheap school with very high standards and would fetch me a good job after.

So please help me
Re: Travelling To Canada by tosinosho1992: 4:24pm On Nov 15, 2010
@ Cuddlemii,

Interesting list. I guess if top business schools like the ones you listed were able to give you admissions without hassles, then you should not have problems getting in York or Mcgill, except there is something you're not telling us. Anyways, regardless of what the situation or your grade is, u'll still have to take GMAT and do very well to be admitted to a top graduate school. But trust me, all Universities in Canada are top-notch schools as they have a very good University regulatory body.

The reason for the differences in tution and admission requirements of Canadian institutions is not because of the quality of education, other provincial factors such as the number of institutions in the province, population, government funding, and socio-economic state of the province play a very significant role. If you are looking for a relaxed admission requirement, look at provinces that are less populated. But be rest assured that whatever your destination for graduate studies is in Canada, you'll be guaranteed of a sound-quality education.

All the best.
Re: Travelling To Canada by tosinosho1992: 4:59pm On Nov 15, 2010
@Cuddlemii,

I live and schooled in London, but would be going to Canada for graduate studies leading to a PhD in January. Just to let you know about grade requirements. Most schools usually calculate your last two years grade. Even if your overall CGPA is 2.2, your last two years grade might be a 2:1. Also Canadian grading system is different from the Nigerian grading system. So I implore you to send your grades to your proposed university for assessment before applying. If you have a managerial experience, that would also help You can follow the link below for a good MBA program.

http://www.edwards.usask.ca/programs/mba/Admission/Admission%20Requirements.html

If it would interest you, below is a link of Canadian University ranking

http://www.webometrics.info/rank_by_country.asp?country=ca&zoom_highlight=newfoundland

Memorial is not a bad choice afterall
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cuddlemii: 6:12pm On Nov 15, 2010
tosinosho1992:

@Cuddlemii,

I live and schooled in London, but would be going to Canada for graduate studies leading to a PhD in January. Just to let you know about grade requirements. Most schools usually calculate your last two years grade. Even if your overall CGPA is 2.2, your last two years grade might be a 2:1. Also Canadian grading system is different from the Nigerian grading system. So I implore you to send your grades to your proposed university for assessment before applying. If you have a managerial experience, that would also help You can follow the link below for a good MBA program.

http://www.edwards.usask.ca/programs/mba/Admission/Admission%20Requirements.html

If it would interest you, below is a link of Canadian University ranking

http://www.webometrics.info/rank_by_country.asp?country=ca&zoom_highlight=newfoundland

Memorial is not a bad choice afterall

Thank you so much. I appreciate it.

I have started looking at the links you posted and would get back to you. In the meantime, what course and school are you going for in Canada by Jan.
Re: Travelling To Canada by tosinosho1992: 6:23pm On Nov 15, 2010
@Cuddlemii,

I wish you all the best with your search. I'm going for Biochemistry (Research).
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 7:25pm On Nov 15, 2010
Tosin

Please which school are going?
Re: Travelling To Canada by tosinosho1992: 8:21pm On Nov 15, 2010
@ charlie193

Already mentioned it in my first post. it's University of Victoria.
Re: Travelling To Canada by justhustle: 9:34pm On Nov 15, 2010
hello house,i wish to know if it is possible to change status while in canada,
i mean going in with a visitors visa and on getting to canada,before the expiration of the 6 months temporary visa change status to,say student category,
i would like to know the processes/procedures and possible duration
your comment would really be appreciated.
Re: Travelling To Canada by lanresz(m): 11:02pm On Nov 15, 2010
@Justhustle, you will find answer to your question at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
Re: Travelling To Canada by ricacosta: 10:54am On Nov 16, 2010
hi @all,
i read through the entire thread and it was helpful to me in my application.i have not gotten a reply 4rm the embassy yet, they said i should contact my courier company by the week end to know if i go for medicals or not. my school starts on 5th jan 2011(university of manitoba). congratulations to those who were called for medicals and those of us who have not yet been called,lets keep our fingers crossed.
Re: Travelling To Canada by harrymann(m): 11:02am On Nov 16, 2010
@ rica coaster, dont worry, you will make it. How long is ur applicatio?
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 11:32am On Nov 16, 2010
@Rica coaster

How long is your application?

I am very sure that soon you will get your medical call up, since you went through this thread before filling in your application.

On a light note, we are ending to the same school, that is University of Manitoba.

Which course are going for? is it a master's or Undergrad course?
Re: Travelling To Canada by ricacosta: 11:59am On Nov 16, 2010
charlie193:

@Rica coaster

How long is your application?

I am very sure that soon you will get your medical call up, since you went through this thread before filling in your application.

On a light note, we are ending to the same school, that is University of Manitoba.

Which course are going for? is it a master's or Undergrad course?

thanks for the support, i am going for undergrad program(computer science)
Re: Travelling To Canada by ricacosta: 12:20pm On Nov 16, 2010
harrymann:

@ rica coaster, dont worry, you will make it. How long is your applicatio?
thanks alot. my application has been with them for 32 working days now.
Re: Travelling To Canada by cindel07: 2:23pm On Nov 16, 2010
i got admission in university of waterloo canada for january 2011 last week monday on 8th nov 2010 with the condition stating that i should surmit my final international transcript on or before 1st Dec 2010. my school is on strike since August , I dont know what to do please help me, Anambra State University Uli. please how long does it take to post a document through speed post

how do i go about deferring my admission.

thank you
Re: Travelling To Canada by justhustle: 2:32pm On Nov 16, 2010
@lanresz

thanks man,are you in canada?would like to ask some very questions which may not be ideal to post.
could you hit me up at<princewill199@yahoo.com>

would really appreciate it.

cheers
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 3:02pm On Nov 16, 2010
@ cindel07

You need to mail the school admission officer to tell him or her that your school is on strike that they should give you more time or just simply ask them to defer your admission till the next start date.

Takia
Re: Travelling To Canada by fishhooks: 3:23pm On Nov 16, 2010
Hello Nairalanders
I have been reading all the posts here with keen interest and would appreciate some frank advice on relocating. A lot of wise counsel has been given and would be most eager to read your take on my post.
My brother is 40 years old with a degree in Animal Science but completely fed up with living in Nigeria and has been considering relocating to Canada.
I know his age is somewhat of an issue but would really appreciate some practical advice as to what sort of visa he can apply for and what his chances of getting a job in this field are.
Thank you
Re: Travelling To Canada by ricacosta: 3:46pm On Nov 16, 2010
@charlie193, i guess you've been called for medicals? what program are u going for in UofM undergrad or masters? when they sent you a reply 4 medicals,what documents accompanied it(like ur transcripts, passport)etc. i need to know everything pls.
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 4:48pm On Nov 16, 2010
@rica coaster

Yes I have done my medicals. They will sent back only your passport, you need during the medical and after medical you will have to send it back to them.

I am going for an Msc Thesis in Biosystems Engineering.

@Fishhooks
I think your brother best option is through student Visa, but with his age I dont really no if this is going to be an issue with the Canada high commission. well, I am very sure there will b someone here that will be able to tell us more about this.
Re: Travelling To Canada by gel03: 5:23pm On Nov 16, 2010
@ rare, charlie 193

Please does any one know about concordia university college of alberta? I am thinking of applying for a masters program. Thanks.
Re: Travelling To Canada by biometrix: 8:09pm On Nov 16, 2010
charlie193:

@rica coaster

Yes I have done my medicals. They will sent back only your passport, you need during the medical and after medical you will have to send it back to them.

I am going for an Msc Thesis in Biosystems Engineering.

@Fishhooks
I think your brother best option is through student Visa, but with his age I dont really no if this is going to be an issue with the Canada high commission. well, I am very sure there will b someone here that will be able to tell us more about this.

Did you notice anything different on your passport when it was returned to you? Did they right anything on it?
Re: Travelling To Canada by biometrix: 8:16pm On Nov 16, 2010
Was anyone quick to notice anything on their international passport when it waz returned for medical test my sisters own was stamped Lagos on one of the leaflets and her file number was written on it.Did anyone notice this?
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 3:13am On Nov 17, 2010
@Biometrix

They usually stamped all the passports they send out for medicals at the back indicating the person's serial Number, this is to identify the passport and also to be able to place it back into your application package once you send it back to them.
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 3:19am On Nov 17, 2010
@gel03

Yes like I use to hear all the universities in Canada are of good standard, but you need to put alot of factors into consideration before choosing a particular school.

Factors like,

1. Cost of living
2. How big is the city
3. How easy it is to get jobs
4. School Tuition
5. availability of scholarship

etc

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 3:46am On Nov 17, 2010
gel03:

@ rare, charlie 193
Please does any one know about concordia university college of alberta? I am thinking of applying for a masters program. Thanks.

@gel03; I know the school exists but I've never been there. Any particular thing you'd like to know about it ?

[/quote][quote author=fishhooks link=topic=118823.msg7155453#msg7155453 date=1289917383]
Hello Nairalanders
I have been reading all the posts here with keen interest and would appreciate some frank advice on relocating. A lot of wise counsel has been given and would be most eager to read your take on my post.
My brother is 40 years old with a degree in Animal Science but completely fed up with living  in Nigeria and has been considering relocating to Canada.
I know his age is somewhat of an issue but would really appreciate some practical advice as to what sort of visa he can apply for and what his chances of getting a job in this field are.
Thank you
This is complicated
Re: Travelling To Canada by Laajman(m): 10:50pm On Nov 17, 2010
@tosinosho and cuddlemi, nice one oh.
I work in Toronto, and deciding on an MBA programme is a big decision.

A lot depends on what you want from an MBA, seeing that most B-schools (here in Canada) have carved a niche for themselves in diff areas- finance, consulting, marketing,

Also, do you also want to work here after schooling, or return home right away? If you're staying back here, choosing the right school
could go a long way in getting a decent job.

I'm of the opinion that rather than rush into a second-tier MBA which Cuddlemi is obviously avoiding,
its better to get it right first time (you've got only one shot). There's no point, spending all those $$$ on an MBA without
get the best bang for your buck.

Its true that York & McGill are pretty competitive but a lot depends on your GPA, GMAT and work experience.
Don't forget you're competing against '000s applicants from India and China for a space, in addition to domestic students!
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 2:10am On Nov 18, 2010
Laajman:

Also, do you also want to work here after schooling, or return home right away? If you're staying back here, choosing the right school

@Laajman, I've always believed it should work this way; does it actually ? That was prime in my mind while choosing my school
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cuddlemii: 10:14am On Nov 18, 2010
Laajman:

@tosinosho and cuddlemi, nice one oh.
I work in Toronto, and deciding on an MBA programme is a big decision.

A lot depends on what you want from an MBA, seeing that most B-schools (here in Canada) have carved a niche for themselves in diff areas- finance, consulting, marketing,

I'm of the opinion that rather than rush into a second-tier MBA which Cuddlemi is obviously avoiding,
its better to get it right first time (you've got only one shot). There's no point, spending all those $$$ on an MBA without
get the best bang for your buck.

Its true that York & McGill are pretty competitive but a lot depends on your GPA, GMAT and work experience.
Don't forget you're competing against '000s applicants from India and China for a space, in addition to domestic students!

@laajman
I am even thinking of changing my masters program from MBA to another program because an MBA is too competitive and so many ranking this, top school that. Other programs dont attract such criticism and employers are aware of all these MBA caliber or class thingy .

I have from now till the end of the week to come with a good program. I dont mind doing a PGD before the masters. I was thinking Masters in Information technology.

Please do you have any suggestions of schoolS that would be easy to get admission and a good job after.

Rare:

@Laajman, I've always believed it should work this way; does it actually ? That was prime in my mind while choosing my school

@Rare, what school would that be.
Re: Travelling To Canada by tosinosho1992: 11:19am On Nov 18, 2010
@ All,

It surprises me the way people regard University ratings. For reminders, theses ratings are done by different groups with different rating criteria, so naturally, an American rating would favour American Universities, the same also goes for UK ratings. As a matter of fact, we in Nairalanders can also come up with our own rating that favours Nigerian Universities, and post it online. For verification, check out different ratings on google.

Furthermore, before the start of my Masters in London, I went for a career conference, and learnt that, what you should always look at before choosing a University is the recognition, and standard. I sincerely believe that for a University in a Western world to be accredited by the regulatory body, it must have passed the accreditation threshold. So let's no be deceived, as much as it is good to attend Ivy league schools (because they've got alumni in top places), what is most important is your personal development and grades. I believe no employer would favour a third-class graduate from Harvard university over a first-class graduate from Acadia University.

The world is fast changing, and every success is down to your individual self. There used to be times where foreigned trained Nigerians were offered jobs upon their return back home immediately, but now, things have changed "Jungle don mature". I have friends and colleagues that finished from UK and could not get a Job in Nigeria.

So in my opinion, So as long as the University is world-class standard, your success in life entirely depends on you. So after your degree in Canada, be it in Toronto, Vancouver, or Prince Edward Island, you could always relocate to the place of your choosing, if you have what it takes.

@ Cuddlemii

Just a word of advice, I presume you know that getting the admission is not the "all in all", as you'll be required to get a visa as well. So if you are changing your course or field entirely, be prepared to explain the sudden drift from your career path, and the future benefit of your new career.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by MeNutty(f): 12:32pm On Nov 18, 2010
I want to apply for an undergrad course in any Canadian University, but i find out that most of the schools ask for WAEC result but i have a NECO result. Please can anyone give me the list of schools that accept NECO result in canada. Thank you. i wait for a response soon.

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (189)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.