Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,889 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:23 PM

Travelling To Canada - Travel (74) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada (454234 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (189) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada by gel03: 2:21pm On Nov 18, 2010
@menutty

Most of the schools will equally accept Neco in place of Waec.

@rare, charlie193

I just want to know if the school ( concordia university college of alberta) is ok as in standard. Then any other thing u feel i should know about the school will be appreciated as well.

Thanks.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Laajman(m): 6:15pm On Nov 18, 2010
@Rare- I haven't read previous postings, but I assume you live in Canada.
I think if you're looking to work here, choosing an Ontario school would be a safe play as most
recruiters visit all these schools.

@Cuddlemi, to be honest, its important to know your long-term plans before deciding on a programme.
It seems you have an IT-bias. If that's the case, you could do an MSc IT/Comp programme, get a job,
get some solid experience and return for your MBA in 4-6 years. That's a safe bet, seeing that the MSc
shouldnt be very expensive. Furthermore, there'd always be plenty of IT jobs. There's the view that you
get more mileage out an MBA when you have mgt-type experience (>3 yrs). You might want to take that
view.

I don't know about deadlines or what steps you've taken thus far, but for IT in Canada U of Waterloo takes the cake.
They've sure carved a niche for themselves in IT in North America. But seeing that you're considering IT as a
stepping stone, any decent school would do. Cant suggest any other names as thats not my line.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 3:15am On Nov 19, 2010
Cuddlemii:

@Rare, what school would that be.
University of Alberta

Laajman:

@Rare- I haven't read previous postings, but I assume you live in Canada.
I think if you're looking to work here, choosing an Ontario school would be a safe play as most
recruiters visit all these schools.
A lot of the high-rated and popular schools are in Ontario; but I believe we still got a few equally good ones outside of it, that are also visited by employers, because I've seen a lot of them come here, and students securing jobs.

gel03:

@rare, charlie193
I just want to know if the school (concordia university college of alberta) is ok as in standard. Then any other thing u feel i should know about the school will be appreciated as well.
Thanks.

It's not the most popular school in Alberta. I really don't know much about it to be honest.
I don't want to go into issue of rankings because it's been heavily criticized here
Re: Travelling To Canada by gel03: 5:23am On Nov 19, 2010
@rare

Thanks alot. I wont go further then.
Re: Travelling To Canada by lanresz(m): 5:44am On Nov 19, 2010
@gel, Concordia University College is a Christian university (I'm not sure if it's private). It's a very small uni. There are only 2 grad programs which are Master of Information Systems Security Management and Master of Arts in Biblical and Christian Studies, As Rare said the school is not the most popular one in Alberta.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cuddlemii: 6:31am On Nov 19, 2010
@lanresz, rare & laajman

How is an MBA at Vancouver Island University. Do employers go there too. They dont require GMAT and there is an option of me doing a PGD before the program and getting a dual masters degree in MBA/International business after.

I just want a good school & a good job after, is that too much to wish for, lol
Re: Travelling To Canada by lanresz(m): 6:48am On Nov 19, 2010
@Cuddlemii  I can't say much about the school you mentioned. The most important thing is getting admission and performing excellently well. Each school has career fair and it's always time for employer to market their companies to students. In as much as going to a good school will enhance one's opportunity in getting a job, performance in school is also a very important variable. No one can guarrante you job no matter the school you go.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cuddlemii: 7:20am On Nov 19, 2010
Thank you very much everyone.

I have an insight to everything now. I will apply to at least 2 masters programs in Canada whether top or below and Let God do the rest. Me on my own would polish & upgrade my IT skills and qualifications as an added advantage for job, I cant shout.

I cant keep obsessing about masters abeg since 2007.
Re: Travelling To Canada by harrymann(m): 7:56am On Nov 19, 2010
@cuddlemi, am happy u have finally found an answer to ur questions. It was too much.
ADVICE: i wil say put more effort in getting a VISA first irrespective of which school u are offered admission. When u get to Canada, u can always change school. Because u can get admission in your dream school but denied VISA(this is not your portion).
Re: Travelling To Canada by Rare(m): 9:29am On Nov 19, 2010
Cuddlemii:

Thank you very much everyone.
I have an insight to everything now. I will apply to at least 2 masters programs in Canada whether top or below and Let God do the rest. Me on my own would polish & upgrade my IT skills and qualifications as an added advantage for job, I cant shout.
I cant keep obsessing about masters abeg since 2007.

@Cuddlemi, if I may suggest, why not apply to a good blend?; one top (your dream-sch) & one 'below' as you put it. You never know!!
Some of the 'below' schools can be surprisingly more expensive from my research. You might get a top sch with comparative fees (but higher entry requirement). So experiment with a blend.
Re: Travelling To Canada by rubenic(m): 11:07am On Nov 19, 2010
hello house, do all Canadian Universities request for application fee?if yes, is there a waiver for Nigerians?
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 11:15am On Nov 19, 2010
@Rubenic

Check University of Alberta, they waived the application fee for Nigeria. Cheers
Re: Travelling To Canada by biometrix: 8:13pm On Nov 19, 2010
Applied on the 27th sept did my medicals on the 1 of Nov at V.I and got my visa today, Just like 1,2,3, I Give all the glory to God Almighty.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by Lakeshoree: 11:01pm On Nov 19, 2010
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED TO TRAVEL TO AMERICA CONTACT ME, NO COST INVOLVED EXCEPT IF YOU WILL NEED AN INVITATION LETTER WHICH YOU WILL SEE BEFORE PAYING FOR WHEN I ARRIVE IN NIGERIA

visitamerica@aol.com
Re: Travelling To Canada by harrymann(m): 4:23am On Nov 20, 2010
@biometrix, congratulations. I think your's is the fastest. Did they ask u to pay school fees or send any other document, when u got ur instruction for medicals?
Re: Travelling To Canada by biometrix: 8:52am On Nov 20, 2010
@harry,thanks alot,  i grew tin but held on only by prayers. my instruction for med came on the 27th of october, on my birthday i must add. Well any advice on cheapest air rates to canada? Last stop is saskatoon. I wasnt asked to send anything or pay anything. Any advice on health insurance? They said i should get one or ask my uni but its free in my uni should i still get b4 i travel or, God i thank you
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 8:55am On Nov 20, 2010
@Biometirx

Wow! Congratulation. I am very happy for you. The good news has just started.
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 8:59am On Nov 20, 2010
@Biometrix

Well I dont no much about the flight rate, but please if you letter get what the cheapest rate kindly post it here, I think I will need the information too.

I am very happy for you, it was just as if I am the one that got the VISA, God is good. Go have blast Mehn!
Re: Travelling To Canada by biometrix: 9:05am On Nov 20, 2010
charlie193:

@Biometrix

Well I dont no much about the flight rate, but please if you letter get what the cheapest rate kindly post it here, I think I will need the information too.

I am very happy for you, it was just as if I am the one that got the VISA, God is good. Go have blast Mehn!

Thanks oooo!! i want to make inquiry today i will post when i get back. God will do it for You too.
Re: Travelling To Canada by charlie193: 9:08am On Nov 20, 2010
amen!!!!!!!!
Re: Travelling To Canada by tosinosho1992: 9:18am On Nov 20, 2010
@ biometrix

Whao!!! Please accept my warm felicitations. The good Lord that has started a new thing will sure bring it to perfection. Just remember, it is just the beginning. So carry on the passion you used in getting your visa with you to Canada, and you'll succeed in whatever you do. Congratulations once again.

All those expecting a decision, I wish you good luck.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cuddlemii: 9:42am On Nov 20, 2010
Biometrix sweety,

Congrats on ur victory, its people like you that God uses as a point of contact to the rest of us. Thank you for dictating the pace which is success in all our endeavours.

So where the party at?
Re: Travelling To Canada by biometrix: 10:22am On Nov 20, 2010
Cuddlemii:

Biometrix sweety,

Congrats on your victory, its people like you that God uses as a point of contact to the rest of us. Thank you for dictating the pace which is success in all our endeavours.

So where the party at?

Thanks alot dearie, Its all Jesus!! Am thinking Ikeja, Will let you know, lol

tosinosho1992:

@ biometrix

Whao!!! Please accept my warm felicitations. The good Lord that has started a new thing will sure bring it to perfection. Just remember, it is just the beginning. So carry on the passion you used in getting your visa with you to Canada, and you'll succeed in whatever you do. Congratulations once again.

All those expecting a decision, I wish you good luck.

Thanks mate, the prayers just started and trust me no resting on my midnight battles. Any advice of health insurance?
Re: Travelling To Canada by tosinosho1992: 11:03am On Nov 20, 2010
@ biometrix,

It should normally be stated as part of your expense sheet attached to your offer of admission. If not, all you need do is to contact your international student advisory unit, for information about health insurance. Some provinces might offer free health coverage for international students, while some institutions would ask you to sign up for a health plan at a fee. Either ways, you don't have to buy one from "Naija", if need be you can get a letter e-mailed to you from the school about the health plan you can subscribe too. That alone in my opinion should suffice.

All the best.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Cuddlemii: 11:21am On Nov 20, 2010
biometrix,

Ikeja is more than fine. I only take expensive fruit wine, lol

Congrats
Re: Travelling To Canada by harrymann(m): 12:18pm On Nov 20, 2010
@biometrix,
which school in saskatoon are u going?, am going to University of Regina. I did my medicals on the 8th, Hope mine will be as fast as urs.
Re: Travelling To Canada by biometrix: 12:27pm On Nov 20, 2010
harrymann:

@biometrix,
which school in saskatoon are u going?, am going to University of Regina. I did my medicals on the 8th, Hope mine will be as fast as urs.

u of sask, Amen to that!!

Cuddlemii:

biometrix,

Ikeja is more than fine. I only take expensive fruit wine, lol

Congrats

well,well well, careful what you wish for for this dude loves them fruit wine, alot. Might just take you up on the fruit part and leave the expensive, lol. Thanks again
Re: Travelling To Canada by harrymann(m): 12:35pm On Nov 20, 2010
have u found out the price of the cheapest flight?, when do u hope to leave
Re: Travelling To Canada by benom(m): 2:47pm On Nov 20, 2010
@biometrix
Congratulations, The cheapest flights remain turkish ariline and qatar airlines, I got this guy that will book my JFK flight for me, If u need his number, i will give it to u,
The next thing now is to find out from housemates already in canada how life is there especially financialy so that it does not take u by total surprise, Congrats again bro
Re: Travelling To Canada by biometrix: 4:57pm On Nov 20, 2010
benom:

@biometrix
Congratulations, The cheapest flights remain turkish ariline and qatar airlines, I got this guy that will book my JFK flight for me, If u need his number, i will give it to u,
The next thing now is to find out from housemates already in canada how life is there especially financialy so that it does not take u by total surprise, Congrats again bro

Thanks alot!! I dont know tur and Qautar rates but just booked Emirates for 1080dollars. To Toronto. Will link Saskatoon from there. Wel nt a heavy spender but ideas to cub will be accepted. Them got let me take my igbo garri so?
Re: Travelling To Canada by biometrix: 5:10pm On Nov 20, 2010
harrymann:

have u found out the price of the cheapest flight?, when do u hope to leave

yes Emirate for $1080 Flat. ASAP. booked for Tues next week though. its gonna increase after thursday, so i hear oo

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (189)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.