Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,800 members, 7,813,632 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:20 PM

What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? (17352 Views)

Do You Stand Up as a first timer in a new Church? / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Where Do You Stand With Illuminati Theories? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ortarico(m): 1:43pm On Feb 23, 2013
rhymz: Like some body said, this is dumb! Can you please raise the bar of the discussion, you are getting lame with the useless explanations that do nothing to answer the main questions. Can you please stop with the diversionary explanations of what you think about God's regret, I am not asking for you to help me explain something that is very clear and direct as to what the bible says about God. My point is how do you reconcile a perfect being feeling regrets for his own actions, it is like me slamming my laptop on the floor knowing fully well that it would spoil only for me to start feeling regrets, does that not show some insanity or lack of control in me?
If you can't intelligently answer the question I will understand instead of insulting common sense with your verbose, pointless explanations that only serves to cause diversion from the issues raised. Who cares about what yoi will do if you were a God, wait until you become one, meanwhile, face the issue and stop the pointless blabbing.

I don't think you understand the concept of "Anthropomorphism". When you do, we shall proceed!
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ortarico(m): 1:58pm On Feb 23, 2013
rhymz: So in essence, regardless whether you are born again or nothing, God's plan for you includes suffering, wickedness towards you just to keep you in check until you get to heaven where you will ultimately face another level of eternal suffering and enslavement being his music juke box. The more you blab about this your God, the more you give the picture of a psychopat that derives pleasure from hurting people who do not agree with his way. And you wonder why many people are turning atheists?
You don't have any point and stop confusing yourself in the name of atheism. What do you understand by the English proverb that "Life is not a bed of roses"? So, you think man should wax in enjoyment for the rest of his life? Haba!. . . Go and read the book of Genesis on God's initial plan(s) for man were it not for his bad free choices.

Your question on stopping evil means that if God is to stop evil, then we must stop evil. This means that the murderer must be stopped along with the thief. Apply some sense pls!
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by wirinet(m): 2:56pm On Feb 23, 2013
Ortarico:
You don't have any point and stop confusing yourself in the name of atheism. What do you understand by the English proverb that "Life is not a bed of roses"? So, you think man should wax in enjoyment for the rest of his life? Haba!. . . Go and read the book of Genesis on God's initial plan(s) for man were it not for his bad free choices.

Your question on stopping evil means that if God is to stop evil, then we must stop evil. This means that the murderer must be stopped along with the thief. Apply some sense pls!

The post above contain the most senseless reasoning i have ever come across. What do you mean life is not a bed of roses, is that a law promulgated by YHWH, so as to keep his adherents suffering and smiling? No wonder Christianity is popular among millions of poor deprived people in sub Saharan Africa. In Europe, especially in Scandinavian countries, life is indeed a bed of roses. Even in capitalist Britain, life is a bed of roses for the royal family and the aristocrats. It is only with the common man that life might not be too comfortable a bed of roses.

So what was YHWH's initial plan for man? And who interfered with the plan of the all powerful omnipotent, omniscient, omnieverything else YHWH. Was man to acquire knowledge according to this plan? What about everlasting life (immortality)? Why did he have to guard the tree that would have given man immortality?

Then what kind of free choice did your YHWH give man? Obey me and worship me 24/7 or face condemnation and eternal punishment. And that is your definition of freewill. I think York God should have created robots, because even monkeys would not obey such freewill commands.

So who have the power to stop evil - man or God? Because if man has the power to stop evil while your God cannot, then man is more powerful than your God
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ortarico(m): 4:36pm On Feb 23, 2013
wirinet:

The post above contain the most senseless reasoning i have ever come across. What do you mean life is not a bed of roses, is that a law promulgated by YHWH, so as to keep his adherents suffering and smiling? No wonder Christianity is popular among millions of poor deprived people in sub Saharan Africa. In Europe, especially in Scandinavian countries, life is indeed a bed of roses. Even in capitalist Britain, life is a bed of roses for the royal family and the aristocrats. It is only with the common man that life might not be too comfortable a bed of roses.

So what was YHWH's initial plan for man? And who interfered with the plan of the all powerful omnipotent, omniscient, omnieverything else YHWH. Was man to acquire knowledge according to this plan? What about everlasting life (immortality)? Why did he have to guard the tree that would have given man immortality?

Then what kind of free choice did your YHWH give man? Obey me and worship me 24/7 or face condemnation and eternal punishment. And that is your definition of freewill. I think York God should have created robots, because even monkeys would not obey such freewill commands.

So who have the power to stop evil - man or God? Because if man has the power to stop evil while your God cannot, then man is more powerful than your God
You shouldn't think your mess up there is a smart quest for the existence of no God? You're spiritually blind (2Cor 4:4). Besides, I dont think you took time to read my post on this suffering of a thing. Visit the chapters of Genesis 2 & 3 and you'll know how everything started. When I said life is not a bed of roses has several meanings attatched to it. What do you know about the history of scandinavian countries? Or do you wanna tell me that wealth over there is equitably distributed? How could you just conclude that the sub-saharan region is the poorest cause of christianity? Do you wanna tell me that the under-developed countries worship God alone? Go make some more research and tell me that not all persons suffer in these so called countries where beds of roses are/dwell. Even these countries are recognized as the scenes of greater natural disasters like tsunami, earth-quakes, epidemic, endemic, pandemic & the likes, tell me why, if not because they don't believe in the existence of God! Why do we have the less of the havocs in Africa? Why has Africa only exprienced eclispe which is no disaster than to give everyone a day or parts of a day holiday. Why has nature not molested our land? Answer these and tell me how stupid & ungrateful you feel like!
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Feb 23, 2013
Ortarico:
You shouldn't think your mess up there is a smart quest for the existence of no God? You're spiritually blind (2Cor 4:4). Besides, I dont think you took time to read my post on this suffering of a thing. Visit the chapters of Genesis 2 & 3 and you'll know how everything started. When I said life is not a bed of roses has several meanings attatched to it. What do you know about the history of scandinavian countries? Or do you wanna tell me that wealth over there is equitably distributed? How could you just conclude that the sub-saharan region is the poorest cause of christianity? Do you wanna tell me that the under-developed countries worship God alone? Go make some more research and tell me that not all persons suffer in these so called countries where beds of roses are/dwell. Even these countries are recognized as the scenes of greater natural disasters like tsunami, earth-quakes, epidemic, endemic, pandemic & the likes, tell me why, if not because they don't believe in the existence of God! Why do we have the less of the havocs in Africa? Why has Africa only exprienced eclispe which is no disaster than to give everyone a day or parts of a day holiday. Why has nature not molested our land? Answer these and tell me how stupid you feel like!
Hehehe... You still haven't got it. After all the explanations about that book inconsistency, the contradictory messages, its questionable origin, etc. You still haven't got it. Huh!
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ortarico(m): 6:16pm On Feb 23, 2013
all4naija: Hehehe... You still haven't got it. After all the explanations about that book inconsistency, the contradictory messages, its questionable origin, etc. You still haven't got it. Huh!
Hey dude, which of the books?
A. The virtue of selfishness by Ayn Rand
B. The ramblings of a young Athiest by Amy Walters
C. Satanic verses by Salmal Rushdie
D. Dawkins Rebukes Cameron books
E. The book on Esoteric fields
I guess it's not the Holy Bible sha!. . .What is your life? (James 4:13-17). You better stop your ramble about the "Gospel".
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Feb 23, 2013
Ortarico:
Hey dude, which of the books?
A. The virtue of selfishness by Ayn Rand
B. The ramblings of a young Athiest by Amy Walters
C. Satanic verses by Salmal Rushdie
D. Dawkins Rebukes Cameron books
E. The book on Esoteric fields
I guess it's not the Holy Bible sha!. . .What is your life? (James 4:13-17). You better stop your ramble about the "Gospel".
The so called Holy Bible that Apocryphals and other books were removed. The so called Holy Bible Christians called the written words of God. So, I am not talking about the books on your list.

My life is to live for a while, die and decompose as to living in reality and truthfulness to existence as we know it to be. Not living on some fairy tales like you.

It is a shame you allow yourself to be brainwashed which is the worst of brainwashes.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ortarico(m): 6:49pm On Feb 23, 2013
all4naija: The so called Holy Bible that Apocryphals and other books were removed. The so called Holy Bible Christians called the writing words of God. So, I am not talking about the books on your list.

My life is to live for a while, die and decompose as to living in reality and truthfulness to existence as we know it to be. Not living on some fairy tales like you.

It is a shame you allow yourself to be brainwashed which is the worst of brainwashes.
Eyaah. . .I'm so sorry for you fellow. If truly the so called Apocryphals & other books were removed it was done for our own good that the Holy Bible be an aphorism!
You mean your life? Were you the one who created yourself?
Brainwashed? Oh, let me be, for it's better to be than to deny the existence of a supreme being!
So, don't force me or make me believe in your pseudo-knowledge!
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by rhymz(m): 8:15pm On Feb 23, 2013
Ortarico:

I don't think you understand the concept of "Anthropomorphism". When you do, we shall proceed!
hahahahah. . .you obviously lack the intellectual depth and stamina to make your point. At this point, I will let you be, knowing how difficult it is for you to conjure up any smart argument without blabbing away about nonentities. It is so hard to defend Jesus, especially when you are debating with sob smarter than you.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by rhymz(m): 8:36pm On Feb 23, 2013
Ortarico:

Are you trying to be clever for your god or what? Abeg go discuss with your fellow below average i.q, you have obviously run out of reasonable argument and intelligence. Your assumptions and personal anecdote don't impress me, they seem like some redundant petty arguments from a child trying to look smarter than he realy is. Being uneccessarily verbose does not mean you are smart dear. Anyway, thanks for wasting my time.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ortarico(m): 9:47pm On Feb 23, 2013
rhymz: hahahahah. . .you obviously lack the intellectual depth and stamina to make your point. At this point, I will let you be, knowing how difficult it is for you to conjure up any smart argument without blabbing away about nonentities. It is so hard to defend Jesus, especially when you are debating with sob smarter than you.
I see!

Do you think you can win by losing? You're by far the worst on this thread. You're the one who has lost his position on this argument. I think I told you to ask about anything you can't really help yourself to comprehend.
And as for me defending Jesus it is far away from me cause I don't have to defend him but "PREACH" him for my God is all powerful!
You're the type the Bible says will be replaced with stone.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ortarico(m): 10:02pm On Feb 23, 2013
rhymz: Are you trying to be clever for your god or what? Abeg go discuss with your fellow below average i.q, you have obviously run out of reasonable argument and intelligence. Your assumptions and personal anecdote don't impress me, they seem like some redundant petty arguments from a child trying to look smarter than he realy is. Being uneccessarily verbose does not mean you are smart dear. Anyway, thanks for wasting my time.

Congrats Mr ~25% IQ!

I see that dealing with persons like you is worthless.
Feel free to compare me with what you will, as I doubt I'll come back to this page, despite the possibility of a fun and healthy debate!
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Feb 23, 2013
Ortarico:
Eyaah. . .I'm so sorry for you fellow. If truly the so called Apocryphals & other books were removed it was done for our own good that the Holy Bible be an aphorism!
You mean your life? Were you the one who created yourself?
Brainwashed? Oh, let me be, for it's better to be than to deny the existence of a supreme being!
So, don't force me or make me believe in your pseudo-knowledge!
That means you don't know the actual origin of your religion book. It is clear you want to remain in a state of denial and blind to reality like fanatics do. Yes, you are brainwashed in the sense not to question what's been fed to you as regarding your religion and its false doctrines.

Did I force you in any way to believe in Atheism? What kind of idea are you bringing into the argument?
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ortarico(m): 11:51pm On Feb 23, 2013
all4naija: That means you don't know the actual origin of your religion book. It is clear you want to remain in a state of denial and blind to reality like fanatics do. Yes, you are brainwashed in the sense not to question what's been fed to you as regarding your religion and its false doctrines.

Did I force you in any way to believe in Atheism? What kind of idea are you bringing into the argument?

I don't and won't believe there were books of "Apochryphals" in the Bible as it is literally termed as a story well known, but probably not true (folk-tale). Forget about what you read in antagonistic books, or were you there when all these things were done?

It also seems that you don't even know that there are books outside there which also antagonise "Atheism". So, everyone & everything can't escape the issue of criticism but what makes it to still have it stand is what matters. You yourself is open to criticism/critics even of your best friend!
In spite of the hostility towards the Bible it has not been and would never be outdated, do you know why?
Forcing or not, I'm not against you being an atheist, but you guyz should just stop polluting or deter the minds of heaven pilgrims from the belief in the existence of God. Let everyone just hold to his or her belief and LET IT BE!
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:00am On Feb 24, 2013
Ortarico:

I don't and won't believe there were books of "Apochryphals" in the Bible as it is literally termed as a story well known, but probably not true (folk-tale). Forget about what you read in antagonistic books, or were you there when all these things were done?

It also seems that you don't even know that there are books outside there which also antagonise "Atheism". So, everyone & everything can't escape the issue of criticism but what makes it to still have it stand is what matters. You yourself is open to criticism/critics even of your best friend!
In spite of the hostility towards the Bible it has not been and would never be outdated, do you know why?
Forcing or not, I'm not against you being an atheist, but you guyz should just stop polluting or deter the minds of heaven pilgrims from the belief in the existence of God. Let everyone just hold to his or her belief and LET IT BE!
You should ask the church. Did you say antagonist book? Are you assuming something about me? What an easy excuse to demoralize the argument to something else by attacking another book to prove your book right.

Lol... I am less concerned about books which attack Atheism and your religion book is one of them to be precise. The truth is that there is no evidence to prove your God exist than mere fairy tales and emotions in the form of sentiment, overwhelming consolations taking to avoid your weakness as per relying on the future heaven promises that aren't there. The fact that the bible is gradually becoming outdated in a modern world is an evidence you don't know what is happening around the world. It is becoming a thing for the primitive minds.

You can be blinded by your belief that is your own cup of tea yet don't give excuses here you are not smart enough to question things you are being continually fed by the church. I don't think you are getting me right here. I am not about you given up on your religion but to put your religion right on where it belong as a fairy tale full of cultural norms.

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ortarico(m): 8:30am On Feb 24, 2013
all4naija: You should ask the church. Did you say antagonist book? Are you assuming something about me? What an easy excuse to demoralize the argument to something else by attacking another book to prove your book right.

Lol... I am less concerned about books which attack Atheism and your religion book is one of them to be precise. The truth is that there is no evidence to prove your God exist than mere fairy tales and emotions in the form of sentiment, overwhelming consolations taking to avoid your weakness as per relying on the future heaven promises that aren't there. The fact that the bible is gradually becoming outdated in a modern world is an evidence you don't know what is happening around the world. It is becoming a thing for the primitive minds.

You can be blinded by your belief that is your own cup of tea yet don't give excuses here you are not smart enough to question things you are being continually fed by the church. I don't think you are getting me right here. I am not about you given up on your religion but to put your religion right on where it belong as a fairy tale full of cultural norms.

Why are you repeating already answered questions? Why haven't you just for once sat down and consider/put some thought about how this world began actually? Why has science not been precise about these? Or don't you know that science has got a lot of tales as well? Science has no explanation about these things than to give us unreasonable assumptions and that's why theories codemn theories in the world of science!
Or is it true that this world and man only evolved to give us what we have today? Science hasn't given us to know on the knowledge or mystery behind unlike other religious books that has done in clarity!
Or do you fully embrace Darwin's theory on evolution? Do you belief that your primitive ancestors were monkeys who made the "kho kho" noise?. . . .Haba! For it's just like when we were children and sang the hilarious song that salamanders would eventually turn to snakes.

Talking about the Bible being outdated shall never happen! For we've seen how some great men tried it but was a futile effort for them even here in Nigeria. The funniest of them all was the one whose house eventually turned to a Bible printing press!
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by kjhova(m): 9:38am On Feb 24, 2013
Ortarico:

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by kjhova(m): 9:45am On Feb 24, 2013
Ortarico:

I like your conclusion i.e. it is wrong for anyone to try to convert another person to his own belief. Christians are most guilty of this crime of proselyting.

If we go by your rule, muslims & especially christians should be barred from roadside preaching, early morning bus stop megaphone trotting, loudspeaker renditions of Sunday or jumaat services to an unsoliciting public, TV & public radio programming, brainwashing of their own kids to believe in d existence of either a Jehovah or an Allah god and all the other media throu which religionists try always to pollute the minds of the people.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by kjhova(m): 10:33am On Feb 24, 2013
@Ortarico, let me let you know that the books referred to as apocrypha even vary from bible to bible and from denomination to denomination. Many of the books accepted in the Roman Catholic canon were deliberately removed from the King James' authorized Anglican bible in 1611. The Coptic church, East Orthodox & the Ethiopian traditional church all have varying unrelated books in their different canons.

Even in the KJV (authorized Anglican) which is the most widely accepted bible among Nigerian christians, many of the books are of unknown or atimes dubious authorship. Moses almost certainly didn't write the "five books of Moses". No one knows who wrote The Hebrews, and a handfull of the Pauline epistles were only ascribed to Paul by the Roman leadership as the authors were unknown.

In the early days of canonization, many church conclaves invented their own yardsticks to decide what books to accept & what books to discard. This process had nothing to do with inspiration by any spirit, never mind holy. Hence the major denominations don't have the same number of books in their "holy book".

An example is of note. A particular book (I now can't remember if that was the book of Judith or Maccabeus 3) was ommitted by King James' scribes only because it tended to support the Roman Catholic concept of purgatory. Certainly, King James & his likes didn't embark on a bible project out of abundant zeal unto d lord, No. The sole purpose of the project was to free the Anglo-Saxon realm from the Roman Catholic enslavement.

Religion is odious, be it christianity, islam, ifa worship or budhism. Its sole purpose is the control of the people by the higher class.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ortarico(m): 3:28pm On Feb 24, 2013
kj_hova:

I like your conclusion i.e. it is wrong for anyone to try to convert another person to his own belief. Christians are most guilty of this crime of proselyting.

If we go by your rule, muslims & especially christians should be barred from roadside preaching, early morning bus stop megaphone trotting, loudspeaker renditions of Sunday or jumaat services to an unsoliciting public, TV & public radio programming, brainwashing of their own kids to believe in d existence of either a Jehovah or an Allah god and all the other media throu which religionists try always to pollute the minds of the people.

As long as God liveth such a decree shall never be promulgated. Do you think we're serving a God that can't speak up for himself?

By the way, did you know what happened in the Buhari/Idiagbon era (1983-1993) when such a law was decreed?

Now why must the gospel be publicly proclaimed?

I propose nine reasons why the public strategies of preaching should be considered as a valid way to present the gospel of Jesus Christ.
1. It presents the gospel to people who may not otherwise step foot into a church.
2. It allows the preacher to obey the most frequent command regarding the manner in which the gospel is preached.
3. It follows historical pattern of pastors open air preaching e.g in the days of Noah.
4. It plainly understands the command of our Lord to "go into the highways and the country roads" and compel sinners to come.
5. It trusts wholly that God's word will never return void.
6. It encourage believers to go out together as a team and it mutually stirs others to more fervent and urgent evangelism.
7. It convicts christian passers-by who are not sharing their faith to consider evangelizing with greater zeal.
8. It always glorifies God because His word is being proclaimed.
9. It depends wholly on the sovereign work of the Holy Spirit to quicken dead hearts to new life as sinners hear the word preached.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ortarico(m): 4:04pm On Feb 24, 2013
kj_hova: @Ortarico, let me let you know that the books referred to as apocrypha even vary from bible to bible and from denomination to denomination. Many of the books accepted in the Roman Catholic canon were deliberately removed from the King James' authorized Anglican bible in 1611. The Coptic church, East Orthodox & the Ethiopian traditional church all have varying unrelated books in their different canons.

Even in the KJV (authorized Anglican) which is the most widely accepted bible among Nigerian christians, many of the books are of unknown or atimes dubious authorship. Moses almost certainly didn't write the "five books of Moses". No one knows who wrote The Hebrews, and a handfull of the Pauline epistles were only ascribed to Paul by the Roman leadership as the authors were unknown.

In the early days of canonization, many church conclaves invented their own yardsticks to decide what books to accept & what books to discard. This process had nothing to do with inspiration by any spirit, never mind holy. Hence the major denominations don't have the same number of books in their "holy book".

An example is of note. A particular book (I now can't remember if that was the book of Judith or Maccabeus 3) was ommitted by King James' scribes only because it tended to support the Roman Catholic concept of purgatory. Certainly, King James & his likes didn't embark on a bible project out of abundant zeal unto d lord, No. The sole purpose of the project was to free the Anglo-Saxon realm from the Roman Catholic enslavement.

Religion is odious, be it christianity, islam, ifa worship or budhism. Its sole purpose is the control of the people by the higher class.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ortarico(m): 4:04pm On Feb 24, 2013
kj_hova: @Ortarico, let me let you know that the books referred to as apocrypha even vary from bible to bible and from denomination to denomination. Many of the books accepted in the Roman Catholic canon were deliberately removed from the King James' authorized Anglican bible in 1611. The Coptic church, East Orthodox & the Ethiopian traditional church all have varying unrelated books in their different canons.

Bro, I sincerely appreciate your efforts/enlightenment on these things! The Bible remains yet complete. I'll also appreciate more if you let me know by your concept on how the universe and creatures came into existence.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Feb 24, 2013
Ortarico:

Why are you repeating already answered questions? Why haven't you just for once sat down and consider/put some thought about how this world began actually? Why has science not been precise about these? Or don't you know that science has got a lot of tales as well? Science has no explanation about these things than to give us unreasonable assumptions and that's why theories codemn theories in the world of science!
Or is it true that this world and man only evolved to give us what we have today? Science hasn't given us to know on the knowledge or mystery behind unlike other religious books that has done in clarity!
Or do you fully embrace Darwin's theory on evolution? Do you belief that your primitive ancestors were monkeys who made the "kho kho" noise?. . . .Haba! For it's just like when we were children and sang the hilarious song that salamanders would eventually turn to snakes.

Talking about the Bible being outdated shall never happen! For we've seen how some great men tried it but was a futile effort for them even here in Nigeria. The funniest of them all was the one whose house eventually turned to a Bible printing press!
Are you talking about Science or Atheism? You are a confused dude, indeed!
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Feb 24, 2013
Ortarico:

Bro, I sincerely appreciate your efforts/enlightenment on these things! The Bible remains yet complete. I'll also appreciate more if you let me know by your concept on how the universe and creatures came into existence.
What a fanatic excuse!
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ortarico(m): 5:37pm On Feb 24, 2013
all4naija: Are you talking about Science or Atheism? You are a confused dude, indeed!

Maybe I don't know, what is the basis of atheism?
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Ortarico(m): 5:45pm On Feb 24, 2013
all4naija: What a fanatic excuse!

Thanks! Pls what book(s) does your contemporary western sense uses? Or is it Queen premier?
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 24, 2013
Ortarico:

Maybe I don't know, what is the basis of atheism?
That means you have been arguing based on assumptions as all religionists are used to. The answer to your question is in the image below.

Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by yorubaamerican(m): 6:19pm On Feb 24, 2013
Ayomivic: Christians believed in life after death, that is the reason we are struggling to make heaven.Christians are travellers in this world,we have a place in focus. that place is our gain of being christian.

You as an atheist what do you stand to gain for being an atheist ?

I think most athiests gain their sanity. Let's face it, their position is much more sane than believing that a snake and a donkey actually spoke.
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Feb 24, 2013
yorubaamerican:

I think most athiests gain their sanity. Let's face it, their position is much more sane than believing that a snake and a donkey actually spoke.

Well said, African prince smiley
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by kjhova(m): 10:27pm On Feb 24, 2013
Ortarico:

We don't know yet how the Universe (it may even be a Multiverse) came about. Science has formulated the "Big bang" theory but at the moment, it remains just a theory & not more.

Many religions have also postulated various legends of creation. The most popular in Nigeria is the Jewish story of Adam & Eve. It includes a talking snake which also appear more intelligent than homo sapiens. The Hausawa story of creation also involve a talking snake that resides in a well. The Yoruba story involves a cock, a handfull of soil & a metallic chain.

The Japanese story, interestingly, involve a talking wolve, a living Sun & the 1st female who bore a son (the 1st male) for the wolve!

To intelligent beings like me, surely these stories are bogus. The real answer to our existence lie in outter space & it will take a long time before we get the answers. The moment we break the speed of light & commence inter-gallactic travels, religion along with its legion of gods & lithany of wars will come to an end!

I expect that to happen around the year 2150. If it goes that way, 250 years after Nietzsche wrote "God is dead", the gods will have truly died!
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by kjhova(m): 10:45pm On Feb 24, 2013
There was this funny incident I remember:

My little nephew read about Elijah & the charriot of fire trip to heaven. The 14 years old asked me why god didn't pick Elijah with an aeroplane or a spaceship like in Ben 10?!?!? What do I tell this dude?
Re: What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? by moneyhungry(m): 3:17am On Feb 25, 2013
ebyjoyken: my friend go sit down for dirty. What do you even think you are doing? You better watch what you say before God will get angry with you.please go away jooor. Msheeeeeeeeew
another extremely brainwashed fellow.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Are All Wordly Songs WrongTo Listen To? / ENDSARS Protest: "Don't Use Force" - Archbishop Alfred Martins Urges Government / Why Are Those Great Biblical Miracles Not Happening These Days?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 175
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.