Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:14 AM

Christianity And The Basic Bible Test - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity And The Basic Bible Test (2090 Views)

Why Christianity And Islam Is Not Suitable For Modern Nigeria / Story of Cain And Abel Another Myth from Islam Christianity and other religions / Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by tpaine: 3:53pm On Mar 17, 2008
In one of my threads, I posted a series of questions about basic science to eveluate respondents' understanding  of basic scientific concepts. This time, I am going to turn my attention to Christianity and the Bible. Below are a number of questions to find out to what extend we understand the bible;

1)  In what chronological order did god create the following artifacts; woman, plants, animals, man and the sun?

2)  The commandments are given in Exodus 20 and Exodus 34. Which version contains the following commandments.  "Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the LORD your God. Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk".

3) Which Book of the Old Testament contains the following words; "Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death." ?

4) Which OT character sacrifice his daughter to the Lord, after the Lord help him defeat his enemies?

5)  When was the book of Daniel written?

6)  What combination of animals were taken into the ark? How long was the flood event? What type of bird was sent out by Noah?

7) Which of these dates is likely to be the date of Jesus' birth; before 4BCE or after 6CE?

8-) Who were the administrative rulers of Syria in the 1st century CE?

9-) How did Judas Iscariot died?

10-) When was Jesus crucified? On the day of passover or the day before passover?

11-) Are rulers of countries ordained by God?

12-) After Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus, how long was it before he went to Jerusalem to see the other disciples?

13-) Are women saved through childbirth?

14-) Is it OK for women to braid their hair?

15-)  How many people will be saved on the day of Judgement?

16-) Who are the Sanhedrin ?

17-) Which of the following historians are you familiar with; Josephus, Philo, Eusebius, Tacitus?

18-) Which of the word in the NT did Jesus personally write? How did the apostle get to know Jesus's word in the Garden of Getsemane given that they were all asleep when Jesus was pronouncing those words at a distance?

19-) Was Jesus related to David via his mother Mary or his father Joseph?

20-) When did Christianity become the religion of the Roman empire and which religion did it replace as the official state religion?

21-) What is the "abomination of the desolation" and its contextual traditions?

22-)  Did the Apostle Paul ever meet Jesus in the flesh?

23-)  Would Jesus have been an observant of the Judaic laws (dietary, hygiene, sabbath etc)?

24-)  Would Jesus have been circumcised?

25-) How is Jesus' portrayal of Hell similar or different from the Old Testament (Judaic) portrayal of Hell?

26-) When did Jesus say he would return ?

27-) In which book of the New Testament did Jesus say the following "Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. 6Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. 7  As you go, preach this message: 'The kingdom of heaven is near."

28-) When was the first Church Council held and under whose  auspices?

29-) Do you know any passages that are currently classified by bible scholars as "interpolations"?

30-) Where about in the bible is the concept of Trinity expounded?

31-) Where in the bible are the following mentions unicorn, dragon, dinosaurs, satyr? Which of these beasts are real and which mythological?

32-) Are there any fulfilled prophecies? Are there any failed prophecies?

There you go.  If you have got some more I like to add them to the list.
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by Nobody: 9:13pm On Mar 17, 2008
@tpaine
I have also encouraged you to start by reading Aquinas http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/aquinas/summa/index.htm

It will take you at least 3 years to read and digest.

Then, you can start asking the RIGHT questions.

Jesus/God is Immense and cannot be trivialized.
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by tpaine: 9:19pm On Mar 17, 2008
imhotep:

@tpaine
I have also encouraged you to start by reading Aquinas http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/aquinas/summa/index.htm

It will take you at least 3 years to read and digest.

Then, you can start asking the RIGHT questions.

Jesus/God is Immense and cannot be trivialized.

Taking flight again from the fray, are you? Is it getting too hot?
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by Nobody: 9:22pm On Mar 17, 2008
tpaine:

Taking flight again from the fray, are you? Is it getting too hot?
@tpaine
Aquinas asked and answered thousands and thousands of questions. A good researcher like you should start from what other researchers have done in the past.

Otherwise you risk asking questions that were answered (beautifully) 850 years ago. Not good for your reputation as a scientist/researcher.
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by rednow: 10:33pm On Mar 17, 2008
@ tpaine & imhotep (gender unknown)

First thanks to both of you for the indirectly & directly provided resource(s) of St Aquinas.

However with all due respects, what are your background(s) - you both obviously to some degree are thinkers or scholars of some sort, dare I add, truth-seekers?, hmm?

I am curious of what your motive(s) or agenda are (i.e. what makes you tick, your passion(s), excitement(s), zeal and delight(s); this is posed particularly without favoritism to Tpaine  whom it seemed stirred up the " Christianity and the Basic Bible Test" thread - Tpaine please excuse my apparent ignorance or unawareness of the past/previous  "throwing down the gauntlet literally" contribution(s) made. Put it down to been a JJC in the house J wink

It will be a privilege if you both do oblige ,
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by tpaine: 10:42pm On Mar 17, 2008
rednow:

First thanks to both of you for the indirectly & directly provided resource(s) of St Aquinas.

However with all due respects, what are your background(s) - you both obviously to some degree are thinkers or scholars of some sort, dare I add, truth-seekers?, hmm?

I am curious of what your motive(s) or agenda are (i.e. what makes you tick, your passion(s), excitement(s), zeal and delight(s); this is posed particularly without favoritism to Tpaine  whom it seemed stirred up the " Christianity and the Basic Bible Test" thread - Tpaine please excuse my apparent ignorance or unawareness of the past/previous  "throwing down the gauntlet literally" contribution(s) made. Put it down to been a JJC in the house J wink

Well, my philosophical leaning are on the naturalistic side (metaphysical naturalism), but am a student of everything and anything. Am currently doing a degree in Cosmology in Manchester University but I also study philosophy, science, history, literature, jazz, gardening. I worked for many years as a mathematician/engineer but now my fulltime job is in Information technology (IT) with a financial Institution.

Was a Christian but abandoned the belief system when I was about 16/17 years old, for freethinking and rationalism. What motivates me particular is the pursuit of truth and the eradication of pernicious belief systems that retard human progress. In order words, I am passionate for truth from a purely heuristic perspective. For we appreciate nature better and our place in it when the quest for such knowledge is objective and unbiased. Secondly, I hate to see human progress retarded by wilful ignorance, such as we see with the opposition to stem cell research and the teaching of evolution. In summary my motivation is truth and science is the only reliable epistemic method we have for revealing the truth.
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by rednow: 11:55pm On Mar 17, 2008
@ Tpaine
- Oh no! Against my better judgement I have succumbed to logging back in instead of jumping in to bed for the night
- Your prompt fascinating précis is worth it
- I am only going to be in here for a few secs or a few minutes - fatigue is slipping in, I am making blunder(s) and typo errors, need to tuck in for the night thats without a doubt.

Was a Christian but abandoned the belief system when I was about 16/17 years old, for freethinking and rationalism.  What motivates me particular is the pursuit of truth and the eradication of pernicious belief systems that retards human progress.

In order words, I am passionate for truth from a purely heuristic perspective. For we appreciate nature better and our place in it when the quest for such knowledge is objective and unbiased. Secondly, I hate to see human progress retarded by wilful ignorance, such as we see with the opposition to stem cell research and the teaching of evolution. In summary my motivation is truth and science is the only reliable epistemic method we have for revealing the truth.

Interesting assertions in the quotes above. Yep we are the ultimate "computer" - the natural and first processing unit made. The great minds of past such Issac Newton, Gallileo etc trawled to some degree similar path(s) profess (i.e. philosophy, science, history, literature, jazz, etc). My presumption that you are an intellectual aws correct - intelligence, maturity and experience is/was sensed. However inasmuch as I genuinely respect your candid and blunt opinion(s),  you might have to expatiate on a few of your estimations in such areas below:

1) The disillusion with Christianity; what was the trigger or catalyst for that?
1b) Who is a Christian, what is a Christian
2) The heuristic alternative; Science? Why science?
3) The Truth; what is the Truth, who is the Truth, where is the Truth?
4) Evolution, Darwinism hmm? How, why?
5) Which pernicous system was/is retarding human progress
5b) How, where and when was the pernicous system doing this?

Thanks for obliging mate  wink
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by tpaine: 1:01am On Mar 18, 2008
rednow:

@ Tpaine
- Oh no! Against my better judgement I have succumbed to logging back in instead of jumping in to bed for the night
- Your prompt fascinating précis is worth it
- I am only going to be in here for a few secs or a few minutes - fatigue is slipping in, I am making blunder(s) and typo errors, need to tuck in for the night thats without a doubt.

Interesting assertions in the quotes above. Yep we are the ultimate "computer" - the natural and first processing unit made. The great minds of past such Issac Newton, Gallileo etc trawled to some degree similar path(s) profess (i.e. philosophy, science, history, literature, jazz, etc). My presumption that you are an intellectual aws correct - intelligence, maturity and experience is/was sensed. However inasmuch as I genuinely respect your candid and blunt opinion(s), you might have to expatiate on a few of your estimations in such areas below:

1) The disillusion with Christianity; what was the trigger or catalyst for that?

Thanks for obliging mate wink

rednow:

The great minds of past such Issac Newton, Gallileo etc trawled to some degree similar path(s) profess (i.e. philosophy, science, history, literature, jazz, etc). My presumption that you are an intellectual aws correct - intelligence, maturity and experience is/was sensed.

This comparison seems flattering, but believe those are really great intellectual giants and am nothing compared to them. But the important thing is to realise the great men now and past and lean towards them, or start climbing on their back in the hope that you may one day see further by standing on their shoulders.

BTW, I would also like to add Darwin, Voltaire, David Hume in that list.

rednow:

rednow:

However inasmuch as I genuinely respect your candid and blunt opinion(s), you might have to expatiate on a few of your estimations in such areas below:

In this sort of forum, it is hard to expound in depth about one development, but will try to hit just the main points. Here we go:

rednow:

I was about 10 years old when a certain realisation of gross unfairness and injustice dawned upon me on reading the bible. This was an account in the old testament where Moses massacres many thousands of Midianites. As a 10 year old, I found this profoundly disturbing and no amount of prayer or lecture from our bible intructor coude assuage the sense of betrayal I felt. That day, something in me broke and was determined never to take anything again at face value. I also learnt never to trust the so-called intructor, teachers, preacher etc if I myself could get hold of the material and read and understand it for myself. Ever since then, I have been on a quest to understand the origin of religion and why so many people find it enticing

Five of six years later another question stirred up in my mind. And that was the question of the origin of sin. According to the classic christian tradition, sin originated from god's own kingdom, when some angels were so bad as to commit sin in god's own house. It then occurred to me that the first sin was not committed in on earth but in heaven, in god's own backyard. Why was god not able to stop sin in his own house? And that the sinning angels were cast out of heaven onto the earth.

As if that was not bad enough, we are told that also that angels have been being cast down by god ever since. Can you imagine the scenario; god matching up and down the corridors and looking for those bad angels and pushing them off into the abyss of the earth.

It then occurred to me that if this was true then this must be a very incompetent god and that his promised salvation would never solve the problem of sin since he has never been able to solve it. He has tried with the Flood, Sodom and Gomorrah etc but sin persists.

By this point, I was majoring in the sciences at high school and found the naturalistic explanations a lot more intellectually satisfying. And then I learnt about the theory of evolution. Well for me this was the death knell to by christian belief. From then on, none of the biblical explanation seem satisfying. I realised the Genesis accounts were myths, the Flood account was also myth (stolen from the Babylonians - the Epic of Gilgemesh) and that most of the bible was factually inaccurate. If this book was really the work of a god, then the least you could say about him was that he was very incompetent, indeed.

When I came to England to study, I was exposed to a wealth of new ideas and material and that essentially killed off any sympathies I had for christianity.

rednow:

Hard to answer this one. I think you really ought to direct this one to a christian. Today, there are more than 30000 christian denominations, all professing to be the real heir to Christ. None of them meets my standards for truth.

rednow:

Science is essentially the human enterprise dedicated to the unveilling and revealing of the hidden aspects of nature - of uncovering knoweledge about reality. It is also the most reliable method of discoverying knowledge, as proven by its tract record. Just think of all th eartifact of science and technology at our disposal today. Is there any of these that is the fruits of non-science, say faith, or superstition?

How does believe in the afterlife advance the human condition? How does believing that someone rose from the dead advance the human condition?

Humans have pulled human out of disease, poverty, natural disasters thanks to science and technology, not due to prayers and supplications.

rednow:

I don't know this one. Ave just started looking into this recently. All I can say for now is that there are various types and notions of truth; Objective truth (for example, say that the earth is more than 3 billions years old is an approach to objective truth. Or that evolutions is responsible for the diversity of life on the planet)

Most forms of truth should have a valid method for verifying it. My rule of thumb is that any claim for truth must be capable of being demonstrated to be so.

For instance, to say reincarnation is true, it must be capable of demonstrating that it is so. Otherwise, the statement falls into the realms of propositions.

rednow:

This is a massive subject. I would try and summarise it in a few sentences. About 500 to 2000 million years ago, nothing but unicellular life throve on the earth. Then from about 300-400 millions years ago, multicellular organism began to appear and more complex body plans started emerging in a period called the Cambrian explosion. Then nearly all existing life was nearly wiped out in the end-Permian extinction event 250mya. But life has rebounded, hence you and I are here. Ask yourself, why is life so resourceful and tenacious. How did it all start again after such a close brush with total extermination.

rednow:

All belief systems founded on faith, supersitions and cults of authorities such as religions and totalitarianism. Reason should be the basis for evaluating all human propositions. When we depart from the path of reason, we step into the realm of darkness and superstitions.

1 Like

Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by Image123(m): 8:03am On Mar 18, 2008
babblers should quit their vain blabbing and babbling which yield no profit
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by Nobody: 8:26am On Mar 18, 2008
rednow:

I am curious of what your motive(s) or agenda are (i.e. what makes you tick, your passion(s), excitement(s), zeal and delight(s); this is posed particularly without favoritism to Tpaine whom it seemed stirred up the " Christianity and the Basic Bible Test" thread - Tpaine please excuse my apparent ignorance or unawareness of the past/previous "throwing down the gauntlet literally" contribution(s) made. Put it down to been a JJC in the house J Wink

@rednow
I am a scientific theist who believes that science does NOT answer ALL things. There is a place for science and a place for God - even though God is immanent in His Universe.

I believe that to limit knowledge only to that we can get from the 5 senses is to deny the complete truth about man ( and woman).
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by tpaine: 10:57am On Mar 18, 2008
Questions still unanswered!
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by rednow: 2:42pm On Mar 18, 2008
Have any of you guys watch the movie “Bruce Almighty” at all

Anyways that’s besides the point, here’s a quick chip in - will follow up later.

Mull this over. For starters, our sensory organs have a threshold – there is more that meets the proverbial eyes better still more than it presently can see.  There is a limit that our degraded and degenerated brain/body can process, as with Man’s imitation - the computer; without a beefed up specs, too much data crunching can overload and blow it up.  There is also the need to be wary of GIGO. Robocop was and is susceptible to malfunctioning

It is confidence that permits a Creator to make a creature and literally let it loose to free-will caprice and self-whim(s) without any sense of insecurity and knowing well that “Yeah I can handle it”.

Christianity is not about religion but rather about relationship and fellowship

Imagine a talking and philosophy furniture thinking it knows it all than the Carpenter ,
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by tpaine: 2:46pm On Mar 18, 2008
rednow:

Have any of you guys watch the movie “Bruce Almighty” at all

Anyways that’s besides the point, here’s a quick chip in - will follow up later.

Mull this over. For starters, our sensory organs have a threshold – there is more that meets the proverbial eyes better still more than it presently can see. There is a limit that our degraded and degenerated brain/body can process, as with Man’s imitation - the computer; without a beefed up specs, too much data crunching can overload and blow it up. There is also the need to be wary of GIGO. Robocop was and is susceptible to malfunctioning

It is confidence that permits a Creator to make a creature and literally let it loose to free-will caprice and self-whim(s) without any sense of insecurity and knowing well that “Yeah I can handle it”.

Christianity is not about religion but rather about relationship and fellowship

Imagine a talking and philosophy furniture thinking it knows it all than the Carpenter ,

Pardon me, but there's simply no sense in what you have just written. Can you come again?

1 Like

Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by rednow: 8:57am On Apr 12, 2008
@tpaine
Pardon me, but there's simply no sense in what you have just written. Can you come again?

Must say part of the text is/was subtly obfuscated?
Having admitting that. Can you be more specific or detailed on which is unambiguous and which was vague?
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by nossycheek(f): 3:33pm On Apr 15, 2008
hmmm, its like I am in the wrong place, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz got to dose off
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by cgift(m): 8:20pm On Apr 15, 2008
tpaine, redsun, imhotep, its an interesting topic you guys got here. I am a fervent believer in this fact that science was created to understand God the more. Science does not in anyway invalidate God, rather, God can invalidate science since so many things are beyond scientific explanations. For starters, why is it that the smallest unit of the human body, the cell, is so complex and difficult for science to comprehend its creation after all this while?

Of a truth, scientists know the components/consituents of a cell, yet, they are unable to bring all those components together in a lab to form a cell. Why? The day i will stop seeing atheists and no-God proponents as stupid is when they are able to create a single and simple cell.

For outright unbelievers and full atheists, why dont you ask yourself whether the statue of liberty in America came their by accident or was formed from a big-bang or whether it was created by a sculptor? If your answer is that it was created by design, why do you look at the abysmally complex world and they conclude it came by accident or that it was not created? Look at the faces of past American presidents on that Mount in America? Did erosion fashion their heads to now look exactly like the faces of past presidents or it was by design? Anything that makes sense happens by design not by accident.

May be a little quiz for my evolutionists friends: have you asked yourselves when you as a human will eventually turn into say a lizard? After how many billlion years? What will you evolve into in the future, a tree?, a goat? i need to know? When will evolution stop and what will orchestrate its halting?

If you cannot prove what you believe in and then you start referring things to hundreds of millions and billions of years ago, then you must be simply deceiving yourselves. Where you there?

Let me correct an impression. Christianity does not surpress gifts, talents and abilities. it rather sharpens them. It does not suppress freedom of expression and leaves room for good discourse. Its only the Catholic church that does not leave room for intellectual discourses and we have since on this forum declared them as non-Christ-teachings-people. In Pentecostal churches, you can question and you are challenged deeply to rational and intellectual discourse. great inventors and discovers and scientists have been christians and no doubt attributed their feats to a firm belief in God. so what are you talking about reasoning suppression? May be islam allows for reasoning subjugation also.

Thanks be to God, we have a well documented history of the mission of Jesus Christ to the world. Facts have it that his existence changed the world. You will understand him better when he comes to make his abode with you. cheers!
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by huxley(m): 8:30pm On Apr 15, 2008
cgift:

tpaine, redsun, imhotep, its an interesting topic you guys got here. I am a fervent believer in this fact that science was created to understand God the more. Science does not in anyway invalidate God, rather, God can invalidate science since so many things are beyond scientific explanations. For starters, why is it that the smallest unit of the human body, the cell, is so complex and difficult for science to comprehend its creation after all this while?

Of a truth, scientists know the components/consituents of a cell, yet, they are unable to bring all those components together in a lab to form a cell. Why? The day i will stop seeing atheists and no-God proponents as stupid is when they are able to create a single and simple cell.

For outright unbelievers and full atheists, why don't you ask yourself whether the statue of liberty in America came their by accident or was formed from a big-bang or whether it was created by a sculptor? If your answer is that it was created by design, why do you look at the abysmally complex world and they conclude it came by accident or that it was not created? Look at the faces of past American presidents on that Mount in America? Did erosion fashion their heads to now look exactly like the faces of past presidents or it was by design? Anything that makes sense happens by design not by accident.

May be a little quiz for my evolutionists friends: have you asked yourselves when you as a human will eventually turn into say a lizard? After how many billlion years? What will you evolve into in the future, a tree?, a goat? i need to know? When will evolution stop and what will orchestrate its halting?

If you cannot prove what you believe in and then you start referring things to hundreds of millions and billions of years ago, then you must be simply deceiving yourselves. Where you there?

Let me correct an impression. Christianity does not surpress gifts, talents and abilities. it rather sharpens them. It does not suppress freedom of expression and leaves room for good discourse. Its only the Catholic church that does not leave room for intellectual discourses and we have since on this forum declared them as non-Christ-teachings-people. In Pentecostal churches, you can question and you are challenged deeply to rational and intellectual discourse. great inventors and discovers and scientists have been christians and no doubt attributed their feats to a firm belief in God. so what are you talking about reasoning suppression? May be the great religion allows for reasoning subjugation also.

Thanks be to God, we have a well documented history of the mission of Jesus Christ to the world. Facts have it that his existence changed the world. You will understand him better when he comes to make his abode with you. cheers!

Would be interesting to see your answers to those questions. Give it a go. Don't shy away from them smiley
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by cgift(m): 8:53pm On Apr 15, 2008
What are your questions? Put them on lets discuss.
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by huxley(m): 9:07pm On Apr 15, 2008
Here they are again, in case you failed to see them on the main post:

1) In what chronological order did god create the following artifacts; woman, plants, animals, man and the sun?

2) The commandments are given in Exodus 20 and Exodus 34. Which version contains the following commandments. "Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the LORD your God. Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk".

3) Which Book of the Old Testament contains the following words; "Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death." ?

4) Which OT character sacrifice his daughter to the Lord, after the Lord help him defeat his enemies?

5) When was the book of Daniel written?

6) What combination of animals were taken into the ark? How long was the flood event? What type of bird was sent out by Noah?

7) Which of these dates is likely to be the date of Jesus' birth; before 4BCE or after 6CE?

10-) When was Jesus crucified? On the day of passover or the day before passover?

12-) After Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus, how long was it before he went to Jerusalem to see the other disciples?

15-) How many people will be saved on the day of Judgement?

17-) Which of the following historians are you familiar with; Josephus, Philo, Eusebius, Tacitus?

18-) Which of the word in the NT did Jesus personally write? How did the apostle get to know Jesus's word in the Garden of Getsemane given that they were all asleep when Jesus was pronouncing those words at a distance?

20-) When did Christianity become the religion of the Roman empire and which religion did it replace as the official state religion?

22-) Did the Apostle Paul ever meet Jesus in the flesh?

23-) Would Jesus have been an observant of the Judaic laws (dietary, hygiene, sabbath etc)?

24-) Would Jesus have been circumcised?

25-) How is Jesus' portrayal of Hell similar or different from the Old Testament (Judaic) portrayal of Hell?

27-) In which book of the New Testament did Jesus say the following "Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. 6Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. 7 As you go, preach this message: 'The kingdom of heaven is near."

28-) When was the first Church Council held and under whose auspices?

29-) Do you know any passages that are currently classified by bible scholars as "interpolations"?

31-) Where in the bible are the following mentions unicorn, dragon, dinosaurs, satyr? Which of these beasts are real and which mythological?

Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by cgift(m): 9:10pm On Apr 15, 2008
huxley? your questions will become very boring. Cant you open a thread for each one of them?
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by huxley(m): 9:14pm On Apr 15, 2008
cgift:

huxley? your questions will become very boring. Cant you open a thread for each one of them?

I have already got many threads dealing with some of these questions. I raised under the pseudonyms therationa, tpaine. Here is a sample. You decide which one to take:

=====================================================================================================

Some of my other threads

The Dangers Of Religious Fundamentalism To Intellectualism
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=110955.msg1929006#msg1929006

Danger! Religion May Damage Your Intelligence And Your Mind If Not Your Wealth
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115458.0.html

What Are Jesus's Core Moral Teachings And Which Are Unique To Him
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-118622.0.html

The Theory Of Evolution Refuted? The No-witness Argument
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-118701.0.html

Which Christianity? Pauline Or Jamesian
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-117735.0.html

Jesus, The Law And The Death Penalty
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-118541.0.html

With God On Our Side: God-inspired Violence - The Christians
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-118563.0.html

Speaking In Tongues: Is It Real Language Or Garrulous Babble?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-118036.0.html

Capital Punishment, Religiousity And Secularism
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-118613.0.html

Don't Know Much About Evolution?: Watch Dr Kenneth Miller Make It Simple
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-116650.0.html

The Theory Of Evolution Refuted? The No-witness Argument
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-118701.0.html

Can One Embrace Evolution And Maintain Christian (or Other Religious) Belief
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-118684.0.html

Which Ten Commandments?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115811.0.html#msg1998588

Jesus's Doctrine Of Passive Non-resistance To Evil
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115745.0.html

Does Anyone Not Know What The Permian–triassic Extinction Event Is ?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115553.0.html

What Are Spiritual Truths?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115666.0.html#msg1996318

Road To Damascus Incident: Paul's Account
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115689.0.html#msg1996608

Noah, Kangaroos, Sloth, Polar Bear And Panda In A Wooden Boat
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115589.0.html#msg1994984

Resurrection Accounts In The Gospel: Reconciliation Wanted
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115582.0.html

Does Jesus Know What Causes Sin? Thank Goodness He Doesn't.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115292.0.html

The Dreadful Plight Of Apostasy In The Bible
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115114.0.html

Is The European Union Prophesied In The Bible? Is It The Anti-christ?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115053.0.html

Jesus And The Old Laws
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115190.0.html

What Can Be Said To Be Definitely Known About Jesus?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-114935.0.html

Origin Of Christianity And Diabolical Mimicry In Anticipation
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113860.0.html

Hell Past, Hell Present; Which Do You Prefer?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113947.0.html#msg1971669

The Sexual Act And Christian Teaching
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-114332.0.html

Scientific Rationalism, Reason And Faith: Which Produces Systematic Knowledge?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-114253.0.html

On The Prophesy Of The Virgin Birth Of Jesus, Part 2:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113676.0.html

On The Historical Reliability Of The Bible
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-114215.0.html

When And From Where Did Jesus Ascend Into Heaven
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113519.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-114023.0.html#msg1972418
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-114023.0.html#msg1972418

When Was Jesus Born?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113449.0.html

On The Prophesy Of The Virgin Birth Of Jesus [/b]13012dg
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113342.0.html#msg1963529

[b] Was Jesus The Prophesied Messiah? Let's Look At The Evidence.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113303.0.html

What Are Your Chances Of Being Saved?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113283.0.html

Who Wrote The Gospels And When Were They Written?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113277.0.html#msg1962589

God Selects The Rulers Of Countries; G W Bush, Sadam, Pol Pot, Abacha, Hitler
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113186.0.html#msg1961537

Cannibalism In The Bible: Det 28:53-57, Lev 26:29, Jer 19:9, Ezek 5:10, Lam 4:10
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113181.0.html#msg1961343

What Are The Core Tenets (doctrines, Value And Virtues) Of Christainity?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-112990.0.html

Faith-healer And Evangelist, Maurice Cerullo, Investigated
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113871.0.html

What Fate For Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Constantine And Tomás De Torquemada?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-112997.0.html#msg1958617

Is The Doctrine Of Trinity Biblical? The Johannine Comma
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-112865.0.html#msg1957266

On The Authenticity Of The New Testament, Part 2
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-112848.0.html

How Is Salvation Achieved?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-112833.0.html

Only For Those Who Know Their Bibles And Some History: Who Was Jesus?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112697.msg1954632#msg1954632

Only For Those Who Know Their Bibles: Old Testament Stories
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112679.msg1954426#msg1954426

Human Sacrifice In The Bible: Lev 27: 29 & Judges 11
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112584.msg1953340#msg1953340

Please, Please, Please: Christians - Read Read Read Your Bibles
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112578.msg1953311#msg1953311

When Was Jesus Crucified?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112557.msg1952665#msg1952665

On Conversion To A Religion (christianity Or I-slam)
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112547.msg1952353#msg1952353

Faith-healers And Tele-evangelists
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112398.msg1950528#msg1950528

Where Did Sin Originate?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112377.msg1950291#msg1950291

For The Non-beleivers Only, 1
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112262.msg1948957#msg1948957

Would Christains Be Criminals And Offenders If They Were Not Christians?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112259.msg1948919#msg1948919

On The Authenticity Of The New Testament, Part 1
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112240.msg1948631#msg1948631

Has Atheism Got Principle? No
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112216.msg1948180#msg1948180

It Is Biblical To Have Sex (and Lots Of It) Before Marriage
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112139.msg1946940#msg1946940

Should The Old Testament Laws Be Observed In The Modern Era?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112114.msg1946682#msg1946682

Founding A State or Nation On Religious Principles
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112086.msg1946268#msg1946268

Great Books About Non-belief
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=111928.msg1943935#msg1943935

Who Are The Self-declared Non-believer? Resources For You
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=111806.msg1942137#msg194111quc02137

Beware of a Simplistic Interpretation of Jesus's 2nd Coming Passages
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=111677.msg1939992#msg1939992

What Is The Evidence That The Bible Is The Word Of God?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113161.0.html#msg1960928

Archbishop Cause Furore Over Sharia Law In The Uk
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=111645.msg1939155#msg1939155

Eminent Christian Scientist (francis Collins) Explains The Evolution Of Humans
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=111482.msg1936158#msg1936158

Please, Help Me Out With Your Knowledge Of The Bible
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=111474.msg1936099#msg1936099

What lasting Benefits Did Jesus Bring Into The World?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115382.0.html#msg1992157

The Catholic Doctrine, Original Sin And Evolution
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-115525.0.html#msg1994039

Why Biology Is So Important To Our Modern World
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=111466.msg1935975#msg1935975

Genesis Vs Genetics
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=111227.msg1932655#msg1932655

Please, Help Me Out With Your Knowledge Of The Bible
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-111474.0.html

Jesus Genealogy
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=111222.msg1932616#msg1932616

£300 (three - Hundred Pound Sterling) Essay Competition
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=111143.msg1931508#msg1931508

Beware Of Religious Fundamentalism In Your University Campuses
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=110965.msg1929160#msg1929160

====================================================================================================
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by huxley(m): 9:27pm On Apr 15, 2008
cgift:

cgift,

To help you make your mind, why don't you look ate Question 10.

Question (10) was discussed here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=112557.msg1952665#msg1952665
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by Xvalier: 10:34pm On Apr 15, 2008
Hello all,

I would like to start by saying that SCIENCE neither originates nor perpetuates any law, life process, matter or rule (force of gravity, seasons, sun rise and sun set, solar system, etc) that happens in life, a much greater Personality is resposible for that. You only need to look at the human body function to know a designer was at work, not an explosion somewhere, you only need to know how close the Earth is to the black hole, and yet not sucked into it to know there is a Hand behind it. Science merely observes, demonstrates, and utilizes what is already in existence.

I find it alarming that one can confidently tell me what happened 2000 millions years based on some fallible human theory but will not believe the historical truth of Bible scriptures. Over and over again, science comes back to align with what scripture says. Were it not for the Bible, a civilization called the Hitites would never have been known about, a recent archeological discovery in the last century only just discovered this site, but scriptures spoke of them thousands of years ago.

Where the Bible is not a history book, it's historical account remain absolutely accurate.

Christianity does not inhibit anyone from thinking, on the contrary, you can debate and question anything you see in scripture, if you are objective enough, you will find answers.

For Tpaine, I see you have a complete messed up theology about how sin came into being, you do not even understand the Angelic conflict, you do not even know the Salvation work of Christ, it's effect on humanity. I bet you would tell me sooner or later that evil comes from a particular chromosones in certain people's DNAs.

I will gladly go through your questions one by one.

Truth, objective Reality, cannot be evaluated by empiriscim (what you hear, taste, see, feel or touch), neither can Rationalism (works of Plato, Socraties, ), a third concept of perception comes into being, it is called FAITH, The believe and content of what is believed, the Scriptures), Heb 11:3 , For by Faith, scriptures (what is believed), we understand that the worlds were framed by the Word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by huxley(m): 10:41pm On Apr 15, 2008
Xvalier:

Hello all,

I would like to start by saying that SCIENCE neither originates nor perpetuates any law, life process, matter or rule (force of gravity, seasons, sun rise and sun set, solar system, etc) that happens in life, a much greater Personality is resposible for that. You only need to look at the human body function to know a designer was at work, not an explosion somewhere, you only need to know how close the Earth is to the black hole, and yet not sucked into it to know there is a Hand behind it. Science merely observes, demonstrates, and utilizes what is already in existence.

I find it alarming that one can confidently tell me what happened 2000 millions years based on some fallible human theory but will not believe the historical truth of Bible scriptures. Over and over again, science comes back to align with what scripture says. Were it not for the Bible, a civilization called the Hitites would never have been known about, a recent archeological discovery in the last century only just discovered this site, but scriptures spoke of them thousands of years ago.

Where the Bible is not a history book, it's historical account remain absolutely accurate.

Christianity does not inhibit anyone from thinking, on the contrary, you can debate and question anything you see in scripture, if you are objective enough, you will find answers.

For Tpaine, I see you have a complete messed up theology about how sin came into being, you do not even understand the Angelic conflict, you do not even know the Salvation work of Christ, it's effect on humanity. I bet you would tell me sooner or later that evil comes from a particular chromosones in certain people's DNAs.

I will gladly go through your questions one by one.

Truth, objective Reality, cannot be evaluated by empiriscim (what you hear, taste, see, feel or touch), neither can Rationalism (works of Plato, Socraties, ), a third concept of perception comes into being, it is called FAITH, The believe and content of what is believed, the Scriptures), Heb 11:3 , For by Faith, scriptures (what is believed), we understand that the worlds were framed by the Word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Just answer this one question, giving biblical as well as other historical references;

Check this one out: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113449.0.html
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by huxley(m): 11:02pm On Apr 15, 2008
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by Xvalier: 3:31am On Apr 16, 2008
huxley:

Clue: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113449.0.html

I still do not get it Huxley, what does this prove, whether or not I know the exact date that Christ was born shows nothing.

Huxley get this right, there exists no disparity within the content of God's WORD. The Bible in itself never dated the life span of King Herod, neither did it date the reign of cyrenius. You are the one with the dating problem. The Bible ascertains thier era, but you are the one with the problem trying to place a time line on them, you go figure out your problem.

I thought you were going to show me the verse in scripture where it was written that Herod died on so so date and that cynerius reigned so so date, scripture does not give those dates, either your dating system is wrong or you just have not gotten your facts right.

A word of advice, this is no way to approach scriptures, it will benefit those who first believe that 'He is' and He rewards those who diligently seek Him.
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by Nobody: 11:36am On Apr 16, 2008
tpaine:
1) In what chronological order did god create the following artifacts; woman, plants, animals, man and the sun?

2) The commandments are given in Exodus 20 and Exodus 34. Which version contains the following commandments. "Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the LORD your God. Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk".

6) What combination of animals were taken into the ark? How long was the flood event? What type of bird was sent out by Noah?

15-) How many people will be saved on the day of Judgement?

22-) Did the Apostle Paul ever meet Jesus in the flesh?

23-) Would Jesus have been an observant of the Judaic laws (dietary, hygiene, sabbath etc)?

24-) Would Jesus have been circumcised?

27-) In which book of the New Testament did Jesus say the following "Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. 6Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. 7 As you go, preach this message: 'The kingdom of heaven is near."

28-) When was the first Church Council held and under whose auspices?

Most of these question were answered 850 years ago. Go and study, do some literature review. Stop researching out-dated topics.
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by huxley(m): 12:49pm On Apr 24, 2008
Answers to some of the Questions:

Exodus 21: 17. How many Christians know that there is such a barbaric injunction in their holy book? Why do they not observe this law? Jesus warns against the abandonment of the laws in Matthew 5. So why should this one not be observed?

Jephthah, in Judges 11. I wonder what moral lesson can be drawn from this barbaric act!

The book of Daniel presents itself as having being written in the 6th century BCE, during the reigns of the Babylonian rulers Nebuchadnezzar and Belshazzar and the Persians Cyrus and Darius. From that point in time it presents itself as predicting events in the ancient Near East during the 5th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd centuries BCE. But strangely, whenever Daniel talks about the 6th century it is vague and inaccurate and when it talks about the second century it is quite detailed and exact. This gives some idea as to the time of composition.

With regard to the 6th century, the book of Daniel opens with;

1 In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah came Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon unto Jerusalem, and besieged it.

2 And the Lord gave Jehoiakim king of Judah into his hand, with part of the vessels of the house of God: which he carried into the land of Shinar to the house of his god; and he brought the vessels into the treasure house of his god.

But in fact Jehoiakim reigned for eleven years: it was only in the first year of his son and successor Jehioachin that Nebuchadnezzar laid siege to Jerusalem, captured it, and "carried off the treasures of the House of the Lord" (2 Kings 28:8-13). The author of Daniel is quite weak on the facts about the 6th century BCE, and continues to be so in his account of the fall of Babylon to Persia in the year 539. He writes that "Belshazzar king of the Chaldaeans was slain, and Darius the Mede took the kingdom" (Daniel 5:30). But it was Cyrus the Persian who conquered Babylon (Ezra 1:1); there was never a king Darius the Mede. The author of Daniel confusedly imagines him in place of Darius the Persian, who succeeded Cyrus' son Cambyses in 521 BCE. The author of Daniel also confusedly imagines that Cyrus succeeded Darius (though in fact Darius succeeded Cyrus' son), and imagines that Balshazzar was the son of Nebuchadnezzar (5:11) though he was in fact the son of Nabonidus. Nabonidus, in turn, was not related to any of his predecessors, including Nebuchadnezzar; so the author of Daniel was ignorant even of the lineage of the ruler, Belshazzar, in whose court Daniel was said to be "chief of the Magicians" (5:11).

Thus it ought not surprise the attentive reader of the book of Daniel that modern critical scholars of the bible are unanimous in their conviction that Daniel "actually comes from the 2nd century BCE", and that its pretence of coming from the 6th century BCE is literary fiction intended to impress its readers with the supposed accuracy of its foreknowledge of the next several hundred years. (Source: Who wrote the Gospels, Randel Helms)

Two of a Kind:

Genesis 7: 7 And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons' wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood.

Genesis 7: 8 Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth,

Genesis 7: 9 There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah.
Genesis 7: 15 And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.

Seven of a Kind:

Genesis 7: 2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.

Genesis 7: 3 Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.

The Forth Days Flood Account

Genesis 7: 4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.
Genesis 7: 12 And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.
Genesis 7: 17 And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth.
Genesis 8: 6 And it came to pass at the end of forty days, that Noah opened the window of the ark which he had made:

The One Hundred and Fifty Days Flood Account

Genesis 7: 24 And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.

Genesis 8: 3 And the waters returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated.

Genesis 8: 4 And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat.

Genesis 8: 5 And the waters decreased continually until the tenth month: in the tenth month, on the first day of the month, were the tops of the mountains seen.

What kind of bird (raven or dove) was sent out?

Genesis 8: 7 And he sent forth a raven, which went forth to and fro, until the waters were dried up from off the earth.

Genesis 8: 8 Also he sent forth a dove from him, to see if the waters were abated from off the face of the ground;

Genesis 8: 9 But the dove found no rest for the sole of her foot, and she returned unto him into the ark, for the waters were on the face of the whole earth: then he put forth his hand, and took her, and pulled her in unto him into the ark.

Genesis 8: 10 And he stayed yet other seven days; and again he sent forth the dove out of the ark;

Genesis 8: 11 And the dove came in to him in the evening; and, lo, in her mouth was an olive leaf pluckt off: so Noah knew that the waters were abated from off the earth.

Genesis 8: 12 And he stayed yet other seven days; and sent forth the dove; which returned not again unto him any more.

Matthew claims Jesus was born in the reign of Herod the Great, who died in 4 BCE. Luke claims Jesus was born during the census conducted by Quirinus the governor of Syria. But Quirinius was not governor until 6 CE, a 10 year gap. So when was jesus born?

The Romans

He either hung himself as in one account of stabbed himself and burst open his guts, as in another account.

One bible account says the day of passover, while another says the day of passover.

Romans 13 says the rulers of countries are ordained by God. So God has got to be held responsible for rulers like Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Sadam etc.
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by huxley(m): 9:41am On Jul 19, 2008
Many of these questions remain unanswered!
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by huxley(m): 10:17am On Sep 30, 2008
Anyone to try the rest of these questions?
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by pilgrim1(f): 12:12pm On Sep 30, 2008
huxley:

Many of these questions remain unanswered!

@huxley,

Yes, most other questions will remain unanswered - until people invite a welcoming attitude to dialogue. However, I've just been thinking lately about something I've asked myself long ago - let me begin by asking this:

What really is your worldview - atheism, deism, or theism?
Re: Christianity And The Basic Bible Test by huxley(m): 12:47pm On Sep 30, 2008
pilgrim.1:

@huxley,

Yes, most other questions will remain unanswered - until people invite a welcoming attitude to dialogue. However, I've just been thinking lately about something I've asked myself long ago - let me begin by asking this:

What really is your worldview - atheism, deism, or theism?

I thought I was rather tamed but persistent on this thread, but not unwelcoming. I know some of my other thread were a lot more strident. Just look at my post under therationa

As to my worldview, I identify myself as a naturalist (metaphysical naturalist). On the god question, I am an atheist. I do not consider atheism as my worldview, as I derive little from the fact that I am an atheist.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Want To Find Out How God Speaks To You ? / Mali: Sharia Imposed In Timbuktu, Muslims Demolish Churches, Christians Flee / "Why Has God Not Solved My Problems, If Indeed He Is Able?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.