Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,699 members, 7,809,644 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:26 PM

What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? (6779 Views)

Why Keep A Girlfriend And Don't Spend On Her? / Guys: What Is The Highest Amount You Would Spend On A First Date? / Warning Signs That Your Girl Doesn't Love You Anymore. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by HisRib(f): 6:46am On Mar 03, 2013
A Colleague and I were discussing this topic & she said that normally an engagement ring should amount up to 3 months worth of salary. So if the man makes $5, 000/month, it should be $15, 000. I agree with her, after all it's a ring a woman wears for the REST of her life. It has to be a ring she loves. Men these days are just too cheap. Whatever happened to the real men who take pride in making sure their women are always well taken care of. Anyways, my engagement ring must be bought from Tiffany & Co and it can't be less than $15, 000. Know your worth ladies.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by abiki(f): 6:56am On Mar 03, 2013
Ask yourself this question; how many young eligible bachelors make up to $5000 monthly? Let's be reasonable here. I'll love a nice engagement ring but I'm not gonna fuss if the man can't afford what i want. There's more to marriage than flashy /expensive engagement or wedding rings. Are successful marriages now judged by the number of carats in your ring?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by HisRib(f): 7:01am On Mar 03, 2013
abiki: Ask yourself this question; how many young eligible bachelors make up to $5000 monthly? Let's be reasonable here. I'll love a nice engagement ring but I'm not gonna fuss if the man can't afford what i want. There's more to marriage than flashy /expensive engagement or wedding rings. Are successful marriages now judged by the number of carats in your ring?

I agree. But, he doesn't necessarily have to make $5, 000/month. He could make less, but has to be willing to save money for it. I know a guy who didn't make that much but saved up $20, 000 to buy his girl a ring. It is something she will have to wear for a lifetime -- might as well make it beautiful. I agree there's more to marriage than flasy engagement rings, BUT having a beautiful ring is a GREAT feeling & NO woman can deny that.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by Chinwem(f): 7:04am On Mar 03, 2013
That's crazy expensive. 3 months salary?? Unto wetin?
Whatever he can afford will do.Its the marriage that should last longer than the ring.Can always upgrade later.

7 Likes

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by HisRib(f): 7:06am On Mar 03, 2013
Chinwem: That's crazy expensive. 3 months salary?? Unto wetin?
Whatever he can afford will do.Its the marriage that should last longer than the ring.Can always upgrade later.

3 months salary for the woman you love is a piece of cake. That's how I see it.
Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by ATMC(f): 7:30am On Mar 03, 2013
@hisrib u're on point my sister but as for me its topaz all d way irrespective of d price...we have other matters to attend to and engagement is d least on d list methinks
Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by jmoore(m): 7:31am On Mar 03, 2013
Engagement ring is temporary, I don't think I will buy one.
Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by topup: 3:20am On Mar 04, 2013
Lol this is funny! I just want a pretty sparkly ring that suits my personality or is a classic style. I don't care because at the end of the day, nowadays there are so many obstacles to marriage. I don't want money to be another trivial reason in my life!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by HisRib(f): 3:41am On Mar 04, 2013
jmoore: Engagement ring is temporary, I don't think I will buy one.

Engagement rings aren't temporary. Most women wear them along with their wedding bands.
Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by HisRib(f): 3:43am On Mar 04, 2013
topup: Lol this is funny! I just want a pretty sparkly ring that suits my personality or is a classic style. I don't care because at the end of the day, nowadays there are so many obstacles to marriage. I don't want money to be another trivial reason in my life!

You only get married once & you will wear it forever. The price is not important, wearing a ring you love is what matters. That's how I see it.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by topup: 3:51am On Mar 04, 2013
HisRib:

You only get married once & you will wear it forever. The price is not important, wearing a ring you love is what matters. That's how I see it.

I actually don't think you have to wear it forever, at least it's not as dramatic as that. People have their engagement rings altered, ammended, embellished and further customised all the time. For example, after 10 years for your anniversary you may want extra stones, or stones for each child, or a new engraved word/name. It really isn't the end of the world if your hubby to be is a humble man and can only afford a humble ring. We ladies need to work on building our self-esteem so that our worth is not defined by the price and worth of objects given to us. I would rather use the money to put down a deposit for a house or wedding than a ring. As long as I can deal with the loose comments from ignorant friends/relatives about the size of the ring and I am happy with it, that's all I care about.. smiley

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by adconline(m): 4:29am On Mar 04, 2013
HisRib: A Colleague and I were discussing this topic & she said that normally an engagement ring should amount up to 3 months worth of salary. So if the man makes $5, 000/month, it should be $15, 000. I agree with her, after all it's a ring a woman wears for the REST of her life. It has to be a ring she loves. Men these days are just too cheap. Whatever happened to the real men who take pride in making sure their women are always well taken care of. Anyways, my engagement ring must be bought from Tiffany & Co and it can't be less than $15, 000. Know your worth ladies.

Some women don't get it that real work is in making marriage work. Do u have an idea of how much it costs to buy formula or day care? Have u thought about how much $$ you would be bringing in to the marriage? Any thought of investing $15k into college funds for the kids? How about buying a home where the ring is going to be safely kept?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by HisRib(f): 4:45am On Mar 04, 2013
adconline:

Some women don't get it that real work is in making marriage work. Do u have an idea of how much it costs to buy formula or day care? Have u thought about how much $$ you would be bringing in to the marriage? Any thought of investing $15k into college funds for the kids? How about buying a home where the ring is going to be safely kept?

This is not what the conversation is about. If a man can afford to buy his girl a $15, 000 ring, what's your problem? I know marriage requires a significant amount of work and planning, but this is not what the topic is about. What is wrong with a woman wanting a gorgeous engagement ring? We only live once. Those women who say "I don't care about the price of my ring..." Are the same ones who envy the women who have beautiful expensive rings!
Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by HisRib(f): 4:48am On Mar 04, 2013
As I mentioned above, in most cases the woman's ring should amount to 3 months worth of salary. I don't see an issue with a man saving up 3 months salary to buy the love of his life a beautiful ring. At the end of the day, these are the moments we will cherish and remember. It's all part of ROMANCE.
Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by HisRib(f): 4:52am On Mar 04, 2013
topup:

I actually don't think you have to wear it forever, at least it's not as dramatic as that. People have their engagement rings altered, ammended, embellished and further customised all the time. For example, after 10 years for your anniversary you may want extra stones, or stones for each child, or a new engraved word/name. It really isn't the end of the world if your hubby to be is a humble man and can only afford a humble ring. We ladies need to work on building our self-esteem so that our worth is not defined by the price and worth of objects given to us. I would rather use the money to put down a deposit for a house or wedding than a ring. As long as I can deal with the loose comments from ignorant friends/relatives about the size of the ring and I am happy with it, that's all I care about.. smiley

To each his own. But, women like you are the first ones to envy women who get nice/expensive gifts from their husbands. I'm simply being honest by saying I want a beautiful ring. I'm not an hypocrite.
Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by Nobody: 5:39am On Mar 04, 2013
HisRib: As I mentioned above, in most cases the woman's ring should amount to 3 months worth of salary. I don't see an issue with a man saving up 3 months salary to buy the love of his life a beautiful ring. At the end of the day, these are the moments we will cherish and remember. It's all part of ROMANCE.

So according to your calculations how much (percentage wise) should a man save of his monthly income towards this ring?

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by jmoore(m): 5:40am On Mar 04, 2013
HisRib:

Engagement rings aren't temporary. Most women wear them along with their wedding bands.
Most women in Nigeria? or somewhere else?
Engagement is temporary so is the engagement ring, there is no debate about this.
Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by Mynd44: 5:43am On Mar 04, 2013
I never thought I would see the day the price of the engagement ring will be more important that the feelings of the person giving and the person receiving

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by Nobody: 5:45am On Mar 04, 2013
Mynd_44: I never thought I would see the day the price of the engagement ring will be more important that the feelings of the person giving and the person receiving

Indeed!
Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by MrMcJay(m): 8:17am On Mar 04, 2013
@OP, how much ring did Dangote give his wife when he got married to her? How many months' salaries did Obama save to buy his wife a ring? I'd rather use my $15K on a biz than a woman who all she's bringing into the relationship are needs and wants.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by Olutokun1: 8:21am On Mar 04, 2013
And what happens when the ring gets lost or is stolen?
Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by amygreat24(f): 9:11am On Mar 04, 2013
U will live long!!
Mynd_44: I never thought I would see the day the price of the engagement ring will be more important that the feelings of the person giving and the person receiving
Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by Metalgoong(m): 9:23am On Mar 04, 2013
Damn, poor single boys/men are really in deep shiit with all these kind of stories and beliefs being peddled on the internet.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by 2bosun: 11:59am On Mar 04, 2013
HisRib: As I mentioned above, in most cases the woman's ring should amount to 3 months worth of salary. I don't see an issue with a man saving up 3 months salary to buy the love of his life a beautiful ring. At the end of the day, these are the moments we will cherish and remember. It's all part of ROMANCE.

Only a dumb man will spend his 3-month salary on an engagement ring in this day and age. Sorry to break it to you love, you're living in a fool's paradise. The Mrs' engagament ring cost a lot but definitely not my 3 month salary; there are things much more important than an engagement ring.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by Kirinwa: 12:33pm On Mar 04, 2013
Please correct me if am wrong.Is the engagement ring not different from wedding ring? If so,If you spend 3 months salary on a ring that will probably last few months.You'll then have to spend 1 year salary on the wedding rings for both of you and then 4 years salary on both traditional and white wedding.Then fast for the rest of your lives!Otuocha.I mean oops!
Ladies I beg una take am easy o.As for me it depends on my financial standing at that time. I wouldn't mind giving her a ring of 100,000 naira.Anyway I can't marry an extravagant girl. She has to be hardworking and understand the realities of our time.
Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by HisRib(f): 1:39pm On Mar 04, 2013
2bosun:

Only a dumb man will spend his 3-month salary on an engagement ring is this day and age. Sorry to break it to you love, you're living in a fool's paradise. The Mrs' engagament ring cost a lot but definitely not my 3 month salary; there are things much more important that an engagement ring.

How am I living a fool's paradise? In this day and age people are spending thousands on engagement rings. This may not be an opion for you due to your financial standing, but don't discourage those who can afford it.
Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by HisRib(f): 1:40pm On Mar 04, 2013
Kirinwa: Please correct me if am wrong.Is the engagement ring not different from wedding ring? If so,If you spend 3 months salary on a ring that will probably last few months.You'll then have to spend 1 year salary on the wedding rings for both of you and then 4 years salary on both traditional and white wedding.Then fast for the rest of your lives!Otuocha.I mean oops!
Ladies I beg una take am easy o.As for me it depends on my financial standing at that time. I wouldn't mind giving her a ring of 100,000 naira.Anyway I can't marry an extravagant girl. She has to be hardworking and understand the realities of our time.

A ring that will last a few months? These days people wear their engagement rings along with their wedding band. This means it will be on her finger until death do you apart.
Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by deavicky(m): 2:12pm On Mar 04, 2013
HisRib:

I agree. But, he doesn't necessarily have to make $5, 000/month. He could make less, but has to be willing to save money for it. I know a guy who didn't make that much but saved up $20, 000 to buy his girl a ring. It is something she will have to wear for a lifetime -- might as well make it beautiful. I agree there's more to marriage than flasy engagement rings, BUT having a beautiful ring is a GREAT feeling & NO woman can deny that.
na lie. how can somebody save that kind of money for engagement ring alone? It means the weding ring will now be like $30000 and his own will be like $ 15000 add them together $65,000 convert it to Nigeria style N9750000. my brother only a big boy can buy this kind of ring becos he do not have to save for it. But for an average man it is just too much to save that kind of money for Just rings that even if you N300 ring it will still do the same thing

1 Like

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by adconline(m): 2:15pm On Mar 04, 2013
HisRib:

This is not what the conversation is about. If a man can afford to buy his girl a $15, 000 ring, what's your problem? I know marriage requires a significant amount of work and planning, but this is not what the topic is about. What is wrong with a woman wanting a gorgeous engagement ring? We only live once. Those women who say "I don't care about the price of my ring..." Are the same ones who envy the women who have beautiful expensive rings!

Engagement ring is a precursor to marriage. So if a guy buys $15k ring for engagement, he should be ready to drop at least $60k(1yr pay) for a wedding ring, then another $90k (1yr and 6 months pay) for the wedding . Total of $165k. You should be bringing in at least $70K for this union. You seem not to have an idea of what it takes to run a family. Basic check: Can you tell me the price of 1 pack of Enfamil without Google?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by HisRib(f): 2:32pm On Mar 04, 2013
deavicky: na lie. how can somebody save that kind of money for engagement ring alone? It means the weding ring will now be like $30000 and his own will be like $ 15000 add them together $65,000 convert it to Nigeria style N9750000. my brother only a big boy can buy this kind of ring becos he do not have to save for it. But for an average man it is just too much to save that kind of money for Just rings that even if you N300 ring it will still do the same thing

The man's ring doesn't need to extravagant. The man can spend $1, 000 on his ring if he wishes. BTW, for all the village people commenting, normally the engagement ring is MORE expansive than the wedding ring. That is tradition. The wedding ring is just a regular wedding band.
Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by Kirinwa: 2:50pm On Mar 04, 2013
HisRib:

The man's ring doesn't need to extravagant. The man can spend $1, 000 on his ring if he wishes. BTW, for all the village people commenting, normally the engagement ring is MORE expansive than the wedding ring. That is tradition. The wedding ring is just a regular wedding band.

Girl be considerate.Remember you're meant to be his helpmate. How exactly will you realize that if you focus on doing collaboration with your people to drain his pocket.You're meant to be an asset not a liability.
Besides whoever said engagement ring should be more expensive than wedding ring?Talking about wedding band, will you be humble enough to explain more? I'm more conversant with the ring and intend to use it not some band.
In the name of the father and of the son and of the Holy Ghost.You slip a band

1 Like

Re: What Is The Most You Would Spend On Your Girl's Engagement Ring? by HisRib(f): 2:55pm On Mar 04, 2013
Kirinwa:

Girl be considerate.Remember you're meant to be his helpmate. How exactly will you realize that if you focus on doing collaboration with your people to drain his pocket.You're meant to be an asset not a liability.
Besides whoever said engagement ring should be more expensive than wedding ring?Talking about wedding band, will you be humble enough to explain more? I'm more conversant with the ring and intend to use it not some band.
In the name of the father and of the son and of the Holy Ghost.You slip a band

Um excuse me? What does me wanting a beautiful engagement ring have to do with me and my people draining his money? It has nothing to do with my people. I just don't see why a man wouldn't want to propose by giving his future wife a beautiful ring. If he can't afford it -- that's understandble. But, I don't plan on marrying a man who is incapable of giving me what I need/want.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Have You Ever Got Tired Of Sex? (my Experience With A Lady In Romanceland) / Advice My Engaged Wife To Be Is Always Quick To Anger And Always Demand For Sex / 5 Reasons Why Some Women Dislike Condoms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.