Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,356 members, 7,829,900 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? - Religion (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? (64952 Views)

Photos: Nigerian Man Spotted Praying On His Knees In An Airplane / Don't Use IJN To Replace In Jesus Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (62) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 16, 2013
[/quote]
3. Barnabas is an apostle. He performed no miracles, wrote no scripture. (Acts 14:14,8-18)[quote]

YOUR LEVEL OF CHURCH HISTORY IS SHALLOW TO SAY THE LEAST.YOUR IGNORANCE FURTHER EXPOSES THE DANGER OF SOLA BIBLE.THERE IS NOTHING IN THE SACRED SCRIPTURES AND THE WRITING OF THE CHURCH FATHERS TTO SUGGEST THAT THE APOSTLE BARNABAS DID NOT PERFORM ANY MIRACLe OR PEN DOWN ANY SCRIPTURE.HE IS WIDELY REGARDED AS THE AUTHOUR OF THE LETTER TO THE HEBREWS BUT BECAUSE OF DISGREEMENT BETWEEN THE CHURCH FATHERS CONCERNING ITS AUTHOURSHIP THAT LETTER WAS LEFT ANONYMOUS.

YOU PROTESTANTS KEEOP SHOUTING BIBLE WITHOUT ANY IDEA WHTSOREVER HOW I CAME ABOUT.SO MANY ACTIVITIES OF THE APOSTLES WERE NOT CONTAINED IN THE CANONISED SCRIPTURES.EVEN THE APOSTLE JOHN MADE IT ABSOLUTELY CLEAR ON THAT.FOR SMEONE TO LATCH ON A FEW WRITE UPS TO FORM THE BASIS OF WHAT HAPPENED OVER ALMOST A 50 YEAR PERIOD IS MYOPIC TO SAY THE LEAST.
LUKE THE WRITER OF THE ACTS OF TEH APOSTLES WAS A FOLOWER OF PAUL AND THUS WROTE MOSTLY ABOUT THE JOUNEYS'S OF PAUL.FOR ONE TO LATCH ON THAT NOW TO CLAIM THAT THE OTHER APOSTLES DID NOT WRITE ANY SCRIPTURES OR PERFORM MIRACCLES IS RIDICULOUS AND IS NOT TO BE COUNMTENANCVED BY ANY DISCERNING MIND.
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 16, 2013
chukwudi44:

The catholic church creaated the bible @ the synod of hippo in 393CE.This was further ratified by the council of carthage in 397CE and 417 CE.

Prior to that the bible did not exist.The term bible is actaually has no biblical basis

BIBLE MEANS A COLLECTION OF CHRISTIAN BOOKS CONSISTING OF THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS. THE BIBLE CONSISTS OF BOOKS WHICH WERE WRITTEN BEFORE CHRIST CAME AND AFTER CHRIST ROSE AGAIN. WHO "CREATED" THE OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS OF THE BIBLE? WAS IT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH WHICH WERE NOT EVEN EXISTING THEN. WHO "CREATED" THE NEW TESTAMENT WHICH THE WAS COMPILED BY THE LIKES OF JOHN THE BELOVED, PAUL, PETER AND SO ON EXCEPT YOU SAY THEY WERE ALL CATHOLICS.

2 Peter 1:19-21
King James Version (KJV)
19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jul 16, 2013
[/quote]Jesus is called an apostle. He performed miracles (Heb. 3:1)[quote]

To call Jesus an apostle is to insult him and bellittle his status.He is God and is not to be compared to any apostle whatsoever
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 16, 2013
[/quote]1. There are apostles who were only among the 12. They performed miracles. Some wrote scripture. (Acts 1:21-22

The bible was explicit enough on the nmber of apostles the lamb had

=

>

>>

Show resources

Add parallel

Revelation 21:14

New International Version (NIV)

14 The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
[quote]
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jul 16, 2013
chukwudi44: Jesus is called an apostle. He performed miracles (Heb. 3:1)

To call Jesus an apostle is to insult him and bellittle his status.He is God and is not to be compared to any apostle whatsoever

DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHO AN APOSTLE IS? APOSTLE DENOTES AN OFFICE AND AN ASSIGNMENT AND NOT A MAN. AN APOSTLE IS A MESSENGER OF THE GOSPEL WHICH WAS ONE OF THE ASSIGNMENTS OF CHRIST. AN APOSTLE IS ALSO A VERY IMPORTANT CHRISTIAN TEACHER WHICH WAS ALSO AN ASSIGNMENT OF CHRIST
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 16, 2013
I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE OPPORTUNITY TO THE CATHOLIC APOLOGETICS HERE TO ASK ME ANY QUESTION THEY FEEL LIKE PERTAINING THEIR BELIEFS IN THE BIBLE OR ANY QUESTION PERTAINING MINE. OR ANY CLARIFICATION THEY SEEK ON MARY, THE POPE, PETER, JESUS, AND ALL ELSE.

LET US REASON TOGETHER. PLEASE LET EVERYONE ELSE JUST OBSERVE THE DISCUSSION. THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL TAKE OVER FROM HERE. GLORY BE TO GOD!
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jul 16, 2013
naijadeyhia:

BIBLE MEANS A COLLECTION OF CHRISTIAN BOOKS CONSISTING OF THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS. THE BIBLE CONSISTS OF BOOKS WHICH WERE WRITTEN BEFORE CHRIST CAME AND AFTER CHRIST ROSE AGAIN. WHO "CREATED" THE OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS OF THE BIBLE? WAS IT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH WHICH WERE NOT EVEN EXISTING THEN. WHO "CREATED" THE NEW TESTAMENT WHICH THE WAS COMPILED BY THE LIKES OF JOHN THE BELOVED, PAUL, PETER AND SO ON EXCEPT YOU SAY THEY WERE ALL CATHOLICS.

2 Peter 1:19-21
King James Version (KJV)
19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

yopung woman stop shoutin.The term bible and scriptures do not mean the same thing and should not used interchangeably.The bible was created from scriptures that was extant in the fourth century when the catholic church decided to creat a christian canon after the jews had created their own canon at the council of jamnia in 100AD.
The books in the bible are not the only scriptures that were written.The bible authours even quoted and reffered us to books oustide the canon defined by the acthoic church.The apostles never used any bible.Jesus and the apostles even quoted books not contained i the bible.

till today the source of the prophecy in mattew "he shall be called a nazerene" and the death of the prophet zechariah son of berachaih mentioned by Jesus are not in bible.Even books like enoch,nathan,letter to the ladociens,assumption of mosese.t.c were quoted and reffered to by biblical authours
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jul 16, 2013
chukwudi44:

yopung woman stop shoutin.The term bible and scriptures do not mean the same thing and should not used interchangeably.The bible was created from scriptures that was extant in the fourth century when the catholic church decided to creat a christian canon after the jews had created their own canon at the council of jamnia in 100AD.
The books in the bible are not the only scriptures that were written.The bible authours even quoted and reffered us to books oustide the canon defined by the acthoic church.The apostles never used any bible.Jesus and the apostles even quoted books not contained i the bible.

till today the source of the prophecy in mattew "he shall be called a nazerene" and the death of the prophet zechariah son of berachaih mentioned by Jesus are not in bible.Even books like enoch,nathan,letter to the ladociens,assumption of mosese.t.c were quoted and reffered to by biblical authours

I AM A MAN PLS. MY BIBLE TELLS ME TO STUDY TO SHOW MYSELF APPROVED UNTO GOD (NOT UNTO MAN) A WORKMAN THAT NEEDS NOT TO BE ASHAMED BUT RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH (NOT MY WORDS OR THOSE OF THE POPE). JESUS IS THE WORD AND HE IS THE TRUTH AND THE HOLY SPIRIT IS CALLED THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH. LET HIM GIVE YOU REVELATION

1 Like

Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jul 16, 2013
the idea of sola bible has no biblical basis.It is a protestant doctrine and and a creation of martin luther.The bible did not exist during the time of the apostles and much of what they did are not contained in the bible.For someone to come and tell me whatever is no in the bible is not true is most ridiculous.Even the entiore biblical authours were anonymous.The present four gospel arrangement were chosen from an avalanche of over 18 gospels taht were flying around.The identities of their authours were sourced from sacred catholic apostolic tradition
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Syncan(m): 12:44pm On Jul 16, 2013
bukatyne:

Was the baptism of John of water or of the Spirit? What righteousness was he trying to fulfill?

Jesus said something, now you are asking me what He was trying to prove. If you have problem with His response, why not take it out on Him.
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 16, 2013
St. Irenaeus of Lyons died ca. 202 writes on the four gospels.His testimony formed the basis for the canonisation of the present four gospels

It is not possible that the Gospels can be either more or fewer in number than they are. For, since there are four zones of the world in which we live, and four principal winds, while the Church is scattered throughout all the world, and the pillar and ground 1 Tim. 3:15 of the Church is the Gospel and the spirit of life; it is fitting that she should have four pillars, breathing out immortality on every side, and vivifying men afresh. From which fact, it is evident that the Word, the Artificer of all, He that sits upon the cherubim, and contains all things, He who was manifested to men, has given us the Gospel under four aspects, but bound together by one Spirit. As also David says, when entreating His manifestation, You that sits between the cherubim, shine forth. For the cherubim, too, were four-faced, and their faces were images of the dispensation of the Son of God. For, [as the Scripture] says, The first living creature was like a lion, Rev. 4:7 symbolizing His effectual working, His leadership, and royal power; the second [living creature] was like a calf, signifying [His] sacrificial and sacerdotal order; but the third had, as it were, the face as of a man,— an evident description of His advent as a human being; the fourth was like a flying eagle, pointing out the gift of the Spirit hovering with His wings over the Church. And therefore the Gospels are in accord with these things, among which Christ Jesus is seated. For that according to John relates His original, effectual, and glorious generation from the Father, thus declaring, In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. Jn. 1:1 Also, all things were made by Him, and without Him was nothing made. For this reason, too, is that Gospel full of all confidence, for such is His person. But that according to Luke, taking up [His] priestly character, commenced with Zacharias the priest offering sacrifice to God. For now was made ready the fatted calf, about to be immolated for the finding again of the younger son. Matthew, again, relates His generation as a man, saying, The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham; and also, The birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise. This, then, is the Gospel of His humanity; for which reason it is, too, that [the character of] a humble and meek man is kept up through the whole Gospel. Mark, on the other hand, commences with [a reference to] the prophetical spirit coming down from on high to men, saying, The beginning of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, as it is written in Esaias the prophet,— pointing to the winged aspect of the Gospel; and on this account he made a compendious and cursory narrative, for such is the prophetical character. And the Word of God Himself used to converse with the ante-Mosaic patriarchs, in accordance with His divinity and glory; but for those under the law He instituted a sacerdotal and liturgical service. Afterwards, being made man for us, He sent the gift of the celestial Spirit over all the earth, protecting us with His wings. Such, then, as was the course followed by the Son of God, so was also the form of the living creatures; and such as was the form of the living creatures, so was also the character of the Gospel. For the living creatures are quadriform, and the Gospel is quadriform, as is also the course followed by the Lord. For this reason were four principal (καθολικαί) covenants given to the human race: one, prior to the deluge, under Adam; the second, that after the deluge, under Noah; the third, the giving of the law, under Moses; the fourth, that which renovates man, and sums up all things in itself by means of the Gospel, raising and bearing men upon its wings into the heavenly kingdom. (Against Heresies Bk. 3.11.8
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 16, 2013
chukwudi44: the idea of sola bible has no biblical basis.It is a protestant doctrine and and a creation of martin luther.The bible did not exist during the time of the apostles and much of what they did are not contained in the bible.For someone to come and tell me whatever is no in the bible is not true is most ridiculous.Even the entiore biblical authours were anonymous.The present four gospel arrangement were chosen from an avalanche of over 18 gospels taht were flying around.The identities of their authours were sourced from sacred catholic apostolic tradition

AND I GUESS YOU WERE PART OF THAT SACRED CATHOLIC APOSTOLIC TRADITION. PERHAPS YOU WERE ONE OF THOSE ON SEAT IN JAMNIA IN 100 AD
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 16, 2013
naijadeyhia:

I AM A MAN PLS. MY BIBLE TELLS ME TO STUDY TO SHOW MYSELF APPROVED UNTO GOD (NOT UNTO MAN) A WORKMAN THAT NEEDS NOT TO BE ASHAMED BUT RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH (NOT MY WORDS OR THOSE OF THE POPE). JESUS IS THE WORD AND HE IS THE TRUTH AND THE HOLY SPIRIT IS CALLED THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH. LET HIM GIVE YOU REVELATION

what has this got to do with the topic been discussed? why did Jesus and the apostles quote and reffer us to books outside the bible
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jul 16, 2013
chukwudi44:

what has this got to do with the topic been discussed? why did Jesus and the apostles quote and reffer us to books outside the bible

GIVE ME JUST ONE INSTANCE THEN I WILL ANSWER YOU
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jul 16, 2013
naijadeyhia: [/b]

AND I GUESS YOU WERE PART OF THAT SACRED CATHOLIC APOSTOLIC TRADITION. PERHAPS YOU WERE ONE OF THOSE ON SEAT IN JAMNIA IN 100 AD

do you mind quoting from the gospels,hebrew,acts where the authours disclosed their identities?
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jul 16, 2013
The Church Councils at Hippo (393) and Carthage (397, 419), listed the apocrypha as Scripture. Since these same councils also finalized the 66 canonical books which all Christians accept, they must accept them all. This is False. The canon of the New Testament was set from the first century. It is Catholic myth that Catholics gave the world the Bible!
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 16, 2013
naijadeyhia:

GIVE ME JUST ONE INSTANCE THEN I WILL ANSWER YOU

Matthew 23:35-36

English Standard Version (ESV)

35 so that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah the son of Barachiah,[a] whom you murdered between the sanctuary and the altar. 36 Truly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation

kindly show me shere in the OT the prophet was murdered

Jude 1:14

14 Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about them: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones

THIS IS JUDE QUOTING THE NON-CANONICAL BOOK OF ENOCH
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 16, 2013
naijadeyhia:

DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHO AN APOSTLE IS? APOSTLE DENOTES AN OFFICE AND AN ASSIGNMENT AND NOT A MAN. AN APOSTLE IS A MESSENGER OF THE GOSPEL WHICH WAS ONE OF THE ASSIGNMENTS OF CHRIST. AN APOSTLE IS ALSO A VERY IMPORTANT CHRISTIAN TEACHER WHICH WAS ALSO AN ASSIGNMENT OF CHRIST

And yet he claims to know all.. LMAO!!

Chukwudi will never agree..lmao
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 16, 2013
ochongonoko:

And yet he claims to know all.. LMAO!!

Chukwudi will never agree..lmao

I AM NOT THE ONE WHO WROTE REV 21:14
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jul 16, 2013
naijadeyhia: The Church Councils at Hippo (393) and Carthage (397, 419), listed the apocrypha as Scripture. Since these same councils also finalized the 66 canonical books which all Christians accept, they must accept them all. This is False. The canon of the New Testament was set from the first century. It is Catholic myth that Catholics gave the world the Bible!

THE BOOKS OF THE BIBLE ARE STILL 73 NOT 66.EVEN THE FIRST KING JAMES BIBLE HAD 73 BOOKS.THE 7 BOOKS WAS ONLY REMOVED IN THE 18TH CENTURY BY THE PROTESTANTS.YOU MIGHT CHOOSE TO UNDERGO SOME BASIC XTIAN HISTORY LESSONS
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jul 16, 2013
Can Protestants Rely Upon the "Council of Jamnia" for Their Bible?

A good friend of mine is currently studying to become a Presbyterian minister at Westminster Theological Seminary. Before he left, I asked him two questions:

1.Where does the Bible dictate sola Scriptura?
2.Where does the Bible dictate the precise canon of Scripture?

After all, for sola Scriptura not to be self-refuting, both of these seemingly must come from the Bible. After all, both are doctrines, and sola Scriptura claims that all doctrines must come from the Bible. At the time, he told me he'd get back with me. I saw him again this week, and since he's now gone through a year of seminary, I asked him, “Did you ever figure out why you use a 66-Book Bible?” This time, he said, “Basically, the Council of Jamnia is the Protestant list.”

Educated Protestants frequently point to this to justify their canon of Scripture, but it doesn't really work. But a lot of Christians, Catholics and Protestants alike, have no idea what this so-called Council was (or wasn't). So here's what you should know about the “Council of Jamnia,” and why it's a non-starter:

1.The “Council of Jamnia” Almost Certainly Didn't Exist: This is a biggie. We know that there was a Rabbinical school at Jamnia, but there's no evidence that any Council ever occurred there. The “Council” is just a hypothesis put forward in 1871 by Heinrich Graetz, to explain how the Jews ended up with a single canon. As a hypothesis, it's a very weak one. There are no early sources which speak of a Council at Jamnia. You could just as easily claim that there was a Council in Beijing. For whatever it's worth, the majority of scholars have finally realized the obvious: there's no reason to believe that the Council existed.

2.It's Not Clear that the Jamnia School Even Addressed the Canon of Scripture: It's not just that whatever happened at Jamnia wasn't a formal Council. It's that it's not clear that the Rabbinical school even addressed the question of the canon of Scripture at all. You could just as easily say you get your canon of Scripture from the Peace of Westphalia.

3.The Jamnia School Wasn't Christian: As I said, while there almost certainly wasn't a Council, there was a Rabbinical “school,” in the sense of rabbis teaching students. After the Destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D., the city of Jamnia became the intellectual and religious heart of Rabbinical Judaism. Perhaps needless to say, those Jews who had become Christians weren't a part of the Jamnia school, so this school included only those Jews who rejected Christ or were somehow unaware of Him. In fact, the Jamnia school is a product of the Pharisees and legalists. This, by the way, is why they didn't need a Council to produce a canon. The Pharisees had long used the modern Protestant Old Testament. It was the Hellenists, the Greek-speaking Jews, who used the modern Catholic Old Testament, while the Sadducees used only the first five Books of the Bible. More on that here.

4.The Jamnia School Was Very Anti-Christian: While we can't say that the Jamnia rabbinical school ever produced a Biblical canon, we can point to a major contribution of the school. It produced an ugly prayer called the Birkat haMinim, which cursed the Christians as sectarians, and prayed to God that for these “sectarians,” “let there be no hope, and may all the evil in an instant be destroyed and all Thy enemies be cut down swiftly; and the evil ones uproot and break and destroy and humble soon in our days. Blessed art You, LORD, who breaks down enemies and humbles sinners.” This prayer was to be prayed every Sabbath, and it forced the Jewish Christians to stop worshiping with the non-Christian Jews in synagogue.

Prior to this, those Jews who accepted Christ still felt comfortable going to Synagogue, where they would attempt to convert others by speaking of Him as the long-awaited Messiah. For example, this is described as Paul and Barnabas' regular practice in places like Acts 14:1 and Acts 17:2. After the Birkat haMinim, those days were decisively over. A Christian could pray to the God of the Jews in good conscience, as He's the God of the Christians as well. But obviously, a Jewish Christian couldn't ask God to quickly damn the Christians.

I should mention that, for whatever it's worth, there's some question about how broadly this curse on “sectarians” was to be interpreted, and likely, different believers prayed the anti-sectarian prayer with different enemies in mind. The Israeli historian Gedaliah Alon, for example, contends “that the Birkat HaMinim may have been directed solely at those Jewish Christians who had adopted an anti-nomian position, thus denying the central tenet of Judaism at the time, covenantal nomism.” No matter. Even if Judaizer Christians were exempt from the curse, it was still viewed as an anti-Christian attack, and Jewish Christians left over it.

5.The “Jamnia Canon” May Be the Result of This Anti-Christianity: While it's not clear that the Jamnia school ever produced a Biblical canon (see #2), there was a push back against the Catholic Deuterocanon, and the Greek translation of the Bible generally, because the Deuterocanon speaks quite clearly of things like Heaven and Hell. It contains astoundingly clear Christological prophesies. For example, Matthew 27:41-43 is clearly written as a fulfillment of Wisdom 2:12-22, in which the Just One was to die a shameful Death (see also Philippians 2:cool. By purging Judaism of the Deuterocanon, you could slow the mass movement of Jews into Christianity. This, by the way, is why many scholars who support the idea of some sort of Jamnia canon think that the canon was formed: to purge the Hellenists and the Christians.

6.The Early Christians Rejected the Pharisees' Canon: Given # 3-5, this is no surprise. But it's still important to remember that we're not starting from scratch. There were Christians in the late first century, after all, faithful ones, many of who had heard Jesus or the Apostles first-hand. And of course, the Apostle John was almost certainly still alive. And yet here's what we don't see: we don't see Jewish and Gentile Christians saying, “We need to pay attention to what the rabbis in Jamnia decide about which Books belong in the Bible, because their decision will bind us all.” And given that no early Christian used this Old Testament, there's no question about the right answer.

7.The Early Christians Ultimately Produced their Own Canons of Scripture: It's not as if early Christians were quiet on the question of the canon of Scripture. The North African Council of Carthage, championed by St. Augustine, the hero of Catholics and many Protestants, produced an exact Catholic Bible, Old and New Testament. It was based on an earlier Synod of Hippo who records are lost to time. Pope Damasus I confirmed this canon. This was a gradual process, admittedly, but one in which the Catholic view was upheld, and the Protestant and the rabbinical / Pharisees' view wasn't even advanced as an option.

8.The Protestant Argument Violates Sola Scriptura: Remember that sola Scriptura says that all doctrines must come from the Bible. The canon of Scripture is certainly a doctrine: one of the most important doctrines, in fact. And yet Protestants advancing this view are deriving this doctrine not from Scripture, but from a Pharisaic tradition. Unless sola Scriptura now means “Scripture plus traditions of the Pharisees,” it's a massive walking contradiction for Protestants to advance this imagined Council as a way to derive the Books of the Bible.

Of course, the irony here is staggering. Despite all the talk about Galatians, it's Protestants here who are playing the Judaizers, attempting to force Christians to follow the dictates of an insular group of vehemently anti-Christian Jewish rabbis from the first century. To put it another way, if a Christian in the first century raised the argument that we should reject the Old Testament used by Christians in favor of the one being advanced in the Jamnia school, the followers of St. Paul would denounce them for their legalism. It's just fundamentally not a Christian answer to the question of the canon of Scripture.
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jul 16, 2013
chukwudi44: Can Protestants Rely Upon the "Council of Jamnia" for Their Bible?

A good friend of mine is currently studying to become a Presbyterian minister at Westminster Theological Seminary. Before he left, I asked him two questions:

1.Where does the Bible dictate sola Scriptura?
2.Where does the Bible dictate the precise canon of Scripture?

After all, for sola Scriptura not to be self-refuting, both of these seemingly must come from the Bible. After all, both are doctrines, and sola Scriptura claims that all doctrines must come from the Bible. At the time, he told me he'd get back with me. I saw him again this week, and since he's now gone through a year of seminary, I asked him, “Did you ever figure out why you use a 66-Book Bible?” This time, he said, “Basically, the Council of Jamnia is the Protestant list.”

Educated Protestants frequently point to this to justify their canon of Scripture, but it doesn't really work. But a lot of Christians, Catholics and Protestants alike, have no idea what this so-called Council was (or wasn't). So here's what you should know about the “Council of Jamnia,” and why it's a non-starter:

1.The “Council of Jamnia” Almost Certainly Didn't Exist: This is a biggie. We know that there was a Rabbinical school at Jamnia, but there's no evidence that any Council ever occurred there. The “Council” is just a hypothesis put forward in 1871 by Heinrich Graetz, to explain how the Jews ended up with a single canon. As a hypothesis, it's a very weak one. There are no early sources which speak of a Council at Jamnia. You could just as easily claim that there was a Council in Beijing. For whatever it's worth, the majority of scholars have finally realized the obvious: there's no reason to believe that the Council existed.

2.It's Not Clear that the Jamnia School Even Addressed the Canon of Scripture: It's not just that whatever happened at Jamnia wasn't a formal Council. It's that it's not clear that the Rabbinical school even addressed the question of the canon of Scripture at all. You could just as easily say you get your canon of Scripture from the Peace of Westphalia.

3.The Jamnia School Wasn't Christian: As I said, while there almost certainly wasn't a Council, there was a Rabbinical “school,” in the sense of rabbis teaching students. After the Destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D., the city of Jamnia became the intellectual and religious heart of Rabbinical Judaism. Perhaps needless to say, those Jews who had become Christians weren't a part of the Jamnia school, so this school included only those Jews who rejected Christ or were somehow unaware of Him. In fact, the Jamnia school is a product of the Pharisees and legalists. This, by the way, is why they didn't need a Council to produce a canon. The Pharisees had long used the modern Protestant Old Testament. It was the Hellenists, the Greek-speaking Jews, who used the modern Catholic Old Testament, while the Sadducees used only the first five Books of the Bible. More on that here.

4.The Jamnia School Was Very Anti-Christian: While we can't say that the Jamnia rabbinical school ever produced a Biblical canon, we can point to a major contribution of the school. It produced an ugly prayer called the Birkat haMinim, which cursed the Christians as sectarians, and prayed to God that for these “sectarians,” “let there be no hope, and may all the evil in an instant be destroyed and all Thy enemies be cut down swiftly; and the evil ones uproot and break and destroy and humble soon in our days. Blessed art You, LORD, who breaks down enemies and humbles sinners.” This prayer was to be prayed every Sabbath, and it forced the Jewish Christians to stop worshiping with the non-Christian Jews in synagogue.

Prior to this, those Jews who accepted Christ still felt comfortable going to Synagogue, where they would attempt to convert others by speaking of Him as the long-awaited Messiah. For example, this is described as Paul and Barnabas' regular practice in places like Acts 14:1 and Acts 17:2. After the Birkat haMinim, those days were decisively over. A Christian could pray to the God of the Jews in good conscience, as He's the God of the Christians as well. But obviously, a Jewish Christian couldn't ask God to quickly damn the Christians.

I should mention that, for whatever it's worth, there's some question about how broadly this curse on “sectarians” was to be interpreted, and likely, different believers prayed the anti-sectarian prayer with different enemies in mind. The Israeli historian Gedaliah Alon, for example, contends “that the Birkat HaMinim may have been directed solely at those Jewish Christians who had adopted an anti-nomian position, thus denying the central tenet of Judaism at the time, covenantal nomism.” No matter. Even if Judaizer Christians were exempt from the curse, it was still viewed as an anti-Christian attack, and Jewish Christians left over it.

5.The “Jamnia Canon” May Be the Result of This Anti-Christianity: While it's not clear that the Jamnia school ever produced a Biblical canon (see #2), there was a push back against the Catholic Deuterocanon, and the Greek translation of the Bible generally, because the Deuterocanon speaks quite clearly of things like Heaven and Hell. It contains astoundingly clear Christological prophesies. For example, Matthew 27:41-43 is clearly written as a fulfillment of Wisdom 2:12-22, in which the Just One was to die a shameful Death (see also Philippians 2:cool. By purging Judaism of the Deuterocanon, you could slow the mass movement of Jews into Christianity. This, by the way, is why many scholars who support the idea of some sort of Jamnia canon think that the canon was formed: to purge the Hellenists and the Christians.

6.The Early Christians Rejected the Pharisees' Canon: Given # 3-5, this is no surprise. But it's still important to remember that we're not starting from scratch. There were Christians in the late first century, after all, faithful ones, many of who had heard Jesus or the Apostles first-hand. And of course, the Apostle John was almost certainly still alive. And yet here's what we don't see: we don't see Jewish and Gentile Christians saying, “We need to pay attention to what the rabbis in Jamnia decide about which Books belong in the Bible, because their decision will bind us all.” And given that no early Christian used this Old Testament, there's no question about the right answer.

7.The Early Christians Ultimately Produced their Own Canons of Scripture: It's not as if early Christians were quiet on the question of the canon of Scripture. The North African Council of Carthage, championed by St. Augustine, the hero of Catholics and many Protestants, produced an exact Catholic Bible, Old and New Testament. It was based on an earlier Synod of Hippo who records are lost to time. Pope Damasus I confirmed this canon. This was a gradual process, admittedly, but one in which the Catholic view was upheld, and the Protestant and the rabbinical / Pharisees' view wasn't even advanced as an option.

8.The Protestant Argument Violates Sola Scriptura: Remember that sola Scriptura says that all doctrines must come from the Bible. The canon of Scripture is certainly a doctrine: one of the most important doctrines, in fact. And yet Protestants advancing this view are deriving this doctrine not from Scripture, but from a Pharisaic tradition. Unless sola Scriptura now means “Scripture plus traditions of the Pharisees,” it's a massive walking contradiction for Protestants to advance this imagined Council as a way to derive the Books of the Bible.

Of course, the irony here is staggering. Despite all the talk about Galatians, it's Protestants here who are playing the Judaizers, attempting to force Christians to follow the dictates of an insular group of vehemently anti-Christian Jewish rabbis from the first century. To put it another way, if a Christian in the first century raised the argument that we should reject the Old Testament used by Christians in favor of the one being advanced in the Jamnia school, the followers of St. Paul would denounce them for their legalism. It's just fundamentally not a Christian answer to the question of the canon of Scripture.

[b]"The Jewish canon, or the Hebrew Bible, was universally received, while the Apocrypha added to the Greek version of the Septuagint were only in a general way accounted as books suitable for church reading, and thus as a middle class between canonical and strictly apocryphal (pseudonymous) writings. And justly; for those books, while they have great historical value, and fill the gap between the Old Testament and the New, all originated after the cessation of prophecy, and they cannot therefore be regarded as inspired, nor are they ever cited by Christ or the apostles"

21 reasons why the Apocrypha is not inspired:

The Roman Catholic Church did not officially canonize the Apocrypha until the Council of Trent (1546 AD). This was in part because the Apocrypha contained material which supported certain Catholic doctrines, such as purgatory, praying for the dead, and the treasury of merit.
Not one of them is in the Hebrew language, which was alone used by the inspired historians and poets of the Old Testament.
Not one of the writers lays any claim to inspiration.
These books were never acknowledged as sacred Scriptures by the Jewish Church, and therefore were never sanctioned by our Lord.
They were not allowed a place among the sacred books, during the first four centuries of the Christian Church.
They contain fabulous statements, and statements which contradict not only the canonical Scriptures, but themselves; as when, in the two Books of Maccabees, Antiochus Epiphanes is made to die three different deaths in as many different places.
The Apocrypha inculcates doctrines at variance with the Bible, such as prayers for the dead and sinless perfection.
And the day following Judas came with his company, to take away the bodies of them that were slain, and to bury them with their kinsmen, in the sepulchers of their fathers. And they found under the coats of the slain some of the donaries of the idols of Jamnia, which the law forbiddeth to the Jews: so that all plainly saw, that for this cause they were slain. Then they all blessed the just judgment of the Lord, who had discovered the things that were hidden. And so betaking themselves to prayers, they besought him, that the sin which had been committed might be forgotten. But the most valiant Judas exhorted the people to keep themselves from sin, forasmuch as they saw before their eyes what had happened, because of the sins of those that were slain. And making a gathering, he sent twelve thousand drachmas of silver to Jerusalem for sacrifice to be offered for the sins of the dead, thinking well and religiously concerning the resurrection, (For if he had not hoped that they that were slain should rise again, it would have seemed superfluous and vain to pray for the dead,) And because he considered that they who had fallen asleep with godliness, had great grace laid up for them. It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins. (2 Maccabees 12:39-46)
The apocrypha contains offensive materials unbecoming of God's authorship.

Ecclesiasticus 25:19 Any iniquity is insignificant compared to a wife's iniquity.

Ecclesiasticus 25:24 From a woman sin had its beginning. Because of her we all die.

Ecclesiasticus 22:3 It is a disgrace to be the father of an undisciplined, and the birth of a daughter is a loss.

It teaches immoral practices, such as lying, suicide, assassination and magical incantation.
The apocryphal books themselves make reference to what we call the Silent 400 years, where there was no prophets of God to write inspired materials.
And they laid up the stones in the mountain of the temple in a convenient place, till there should come a prophet, and give answer concerning them. (1 Maccabees 4:46)
And there was a great tribulation in Israel, such as was not since the day, that there was no prophet seen in Israel. (1 Maccabees 9:27)
And that the Jews, and their priests, had consented that he should be their prince, and high priest for ever, till there should arise a faithful prophet. (1 Maccabees 14:41)
Josephus rejected the apocryphal books as inspired and this reflected Jewish thought at the time of Jesus
"From Artexerxes to our own time the complete history has been written but has not been deemed worthy of equal credit with the earlier records because of the failure of the exact succession of the prophets." ... "We have not an innumerable multitude of books among us, disagreeing from and contradicting one another, but only twenty-two books, which contain the records of all the past times; which are justly believed to be divine..."(Flavius Josephus, Against Apion 1:8 )
The Manual of Discipline in the Dead Sea Scrolls rejected the apocrypha as inspired.
The Council of Jamnia held the same view rejected the apocrypha as inspired.
They debated the canonicity of a few books (e.g., Ecclesiastes), but they changed nothing and never proclaimed themselves to be authoritative determiners of the Old Testament canon. "The books which they decided to acknowledge as canonical were already generally accepted, although questions had been raised about them. Those which they refused to admit had never been included. They did not expel from the canon any book which had previously been admitted. 'The Council of Jamnia was the confirming of public opinion, not the forming of it.'"

Although it was occasionally quoted in early church writings, it was nowhere accepted in a canon. Melito (AD 170) and Origen rejected the Apocrypha, (Eccl. Hist. VI. 25, Eusebius) as does the Muratorian Canon.
Jerome vigorously resisted including the Apocrypha in his Latin Vulgate Version (400 AD), but was overruled. As a result, the standard Roman Catholic Bible throughout the medieval period contained it. Thus, it gradually came to be revered by the average clergyman. Still, many medieval Catholic scholars realized that it was not inspired.
The terms "protocanonical" and "deuterocanonical" are used by Catholics to signify respectively those books of Scripture that were received by the entire Church from the beginning as inspired, and those whose inspiration came to be recognized later, after the matter had been disputed by certain Fathers and local churches.
Pope Damasus (366-384) authorized Jerome to translate the Latin Vulgate. The Council of Carthage declared this translation as "the infallible and authentic Bible." Jerome was the first to describe the extra 7 Old Testament books as the "Apocrypha" (doubtful authenticity). Needless to say, Jerome's Latin Vulgate did not include the Apocrypha.
Cyril (born about A.D. 315) - "Read the divine Scriptures - namely, the 22 books of the Old Testament which the 72 interpreters translated" (the Septuagint)
The apocrypha wasn't included at first in the Septuagint, but was appended by the Alexandrian Jews, and was not listed in any of the catalogues of the inspired books till the 4th century
Hilary (bishop of Poictiers, 350 A.D.) rejected the apocrypha
Epiphanius (the great opposer of heresy, 360 A.D.) rejected them all. Referring to Wisdom of Solomon & book of Jesus Sirach, he said "These indeed are useful books & profitable, but they are not placed in the number of the canonical."

Is the Apocrypha Inspired? Does it really belong in the Bible?

Let us consider while we are at this point, the subject of the Catholic apocrypha, for which they make such great claims; and because of which they deny the Bible in common use by most brethren. 2 Macc 12:38-46 seems to be the principal reason they cling to the apocrypha. There is no other doctrine that depends so heavily upon support in the apocrypha. If I were not afraid of absolute statements, I would say that their defense of the apocrypha is only because of the passage and their claims about its teachings.

The Catholics have 46 Old Testament books rather than the 39 found in our Bibles. However, they have added much more material to other books which does not appear under separate titles. That material follows: The Rest of Esther added to Esther; The Song of the Three Holy Children, The History of Susanna, Bel and the Dragon added to Daniel; Baruch; 1 and 2 Maccabees; Tobias; Judith; Ecclesiasticus; and the Wisdom of Sirach.

The only powerful support for these books is that they appear in the Septuagint version. However, in many of our Bibles there is much material that is uninspired, including history, poetry, maps, dictionaries, and other information. This may be the reason for the appearance of this material in the Septuagint. The apocrypha was not in the Hebrew canon.

There are reputed to be 263 quotations and 370 allusions to the Old Testament in the New Testament and not one of them refers to the Apocryphal

The usual division of the Old Testament by the Jews was a total of 24 books: The Books of Moses (51, The Early prophets 14; Joshua, Judges, Samuel, and Kings ~, The Late Prophets (4; Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, the 12 Minor Prophets), and the Hagiagrapha (11; Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Song of Solomon. Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther, Daniel, Ezra-Nehemiah, and Chronicles i. These 24 books contain all the material in our numbering of 39.

Josephus spoke concerning the canon, but his book division combined Ruth-Judges and Lamentation-Jeremiah for a total of 22 books rather than 24:

This forms a bizarre contrast with passages in the New Testament:

"Take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. For it is not ye that speak. but the spirit of your Father which speaketh in you" (Matthew 10: 19-20).

"Now we have received. not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God: that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in words which man s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth" (1 Corinthians 2: 12-13[/b]
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 16, 2013
[b]The New Testament never quotes from the any of the apocryphal books written between 400 - 200 BC. What is significant here is that NONE of the books within the "apocryphal collection" are ever quoted. So the Catholic argument that "the apocryphal books cannot be rejected as uninspired on the basis that they are never quoted from in the New Testament because Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon are also never quoted in the New Testament, and we all accept them as inspired." The rebuttal to this Catholic argument is that "Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther" were always included in the "history collection" of Jewish books and "Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon" were always included in the "poetry collection". By quoting one book from the collection, it verifies the entire collection. None of the apocryphal books were ever quoted in the New Testament. Not even once! This proves the Catholic and Orthodox apologists wrong when they try to defend the apocrypha in the Bible.

[size=15pt]The apocrypha does not belong in the Bible because It IS not inspired.[/size][/b]
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 16, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: the problem with these protestants dumb azzes is they are not here to learn, but to ridicule and insults like automats what they don't know and understand. their pastchieves told them to rubbish the Catholic church under the pretext that. Catholic are weak in their faith or don't know the Bible(the same bible we wrote lmao) see one of them using the bible to talk bad about the church funny mofo grin grin

The most funny thing about those rebels(protestants & co) is their teachings is centered on insulting Catholics like for real, we freed you stop talking about us, we don't care about u, nonentity trying to stay relevant. why do u think they created the word Christian? ah ah grin grin grin. talk with a protestant and ask him to convince you to join his church. he will start with Catholics do this Catholics do that, idols this ,idols that ..Mary blah blah..like i said their whole life is centered around talking about Catholics

Learn? From a Catholican? World's best Sinners thanks to Google - SMH

I'd rather seek for an atheist teaching than Urs - I wouldnt want to be fed all sort of Mary, Rosary and Papacy balderdash! When I tag u fellahs 'Plastic Xtians' I swear i mean it with my soul.

Someone opined that Mary deserves the honour she recieves from u guys cos she had a close relationship with Christ, citing the Incidents at the marriage In Canaan and Christ's Cruxification.

Now I ask, If ur built up yardstick to honouring Mary was based on a mere 'Closeness' to Christ, why dont u get to honour Apostle Peter who unarguably was Christ bestman?

He witnessed the transfiguration with Christ which Mary never saw, was ready to fight for Christ even at death point and after denying him three times, felt remorseful and wept for forgiveness - A School of thought would tell u that Peter was 'In Love' with Jesus. So why Is he yet to get a Stature? He'd communicate with his man Christ on ya behalf, Olodos!

You dudes had berra stopped deluding urselves and get a healthy Xtian Life!
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jul 16, 2013
chukwudi44:

Matthew 23:35-36

English Standard Version (ESV)

35 so that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah the son of Barachiah,[a] whom you murdered between the sanctuary and the altar. 36 Truly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation

kindly show me shere in the OT the prophet was murdered

Jude 1:14

14 Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about them: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones

THIS IS JUDE QUOTING THE NON-CANONICAL BOOK OF ENOCH

[b]Enoch was a important person mentioned in Genesis 5:24. Enoch was the 7th from Adam, the son of Jared (Gen. 5:18) and the father of Methuselah (5:21; Luke 3:37). After the birth of Methuselah at 65, he lived 300 more years. Gen 5:23-24 “So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.”

What is the meaning of God took him? Heb. 11:5 “By faith Enoch was taken away so that he did not see death, "and was not found, because God had taken him"; for before he was taken he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

He was transported into heaven without dying. With Enoch was conveyed the teaching of both heaven and immortality.

The book of Enoch is non-Biblical and pseudepigraphical (what we have today is not written by Enoch).

The Book of Enoch: “Behold, he comes with ten thousands of his saints, to execute judgment upon them, and destroy the wicked, and reprove all the carnal for everything which the sinful and ungodly have done, and committed against him.”

Jude he quotes from a prophecy of Enoch; Jude 1:14 Now Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints.” Jude’s reference the Book of Enoch is not exact, which does seem to be contrary to the conclusion he quoted from the book of Enoch..

The concept of ten thousand saints is not unique. In Deut. 33:2 And he said: "The LORD came from Sinai, and dawned on them from Seir; he shone forth from Mount Paran, and He came with ten thousands of saints; from His right hand came a fiery law for them.”[/b]
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Chiilove: 1:21pm On Jul 16, 2013
God only exaltd the name of Jesus Christ abov every other names. Anybody prayin in the name of holy Mary s not prayin to God but to d queen of d 2nd heaven by name venus. At the mention of holy Mary tears drops Mary's eyes alwas. Thats wat happens wen u pray in d name of Mary.
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 16, 2013
Nice copy and paste works.So now let's go to work and begin to dissect the write-ups.I just hope u bothered to read yours and not just a case of copy and paste.

I will attack your points one after another

Point 1:The catholic church did not recognise the 7 books you protestants removed until 1546

Refutal:The complete list of books recognised by the catholic synod of hippo included this seven books.The coomunique of the council of carthage is even available online complete with the total 73 books approved by the church.I will post it @ a subsequent post.

Point 2:The books were never approved by then jewish authhouritie

Refutal: The septuagint was commissioned by the egyptian emperor ptolemy in the third century BCE.(This accounts are well covered by the ancient jewish historian Josephus)The emperor had written to the then Jewish High priest to request for the translation of the jewish scriptures into greek.The high priest then sent him 72 jewish scholars who carried out this first biblical translation to produce what was later known as the septuagint.Interestingly contained in this septuagnt were the seventh books.

Furthermore it was later discovered that over 70 percent of old testaments quotations in the NT were sourced from the septuagint.This means that the Apostles Paul,Peter and authour new testament authours had used and approved the septuagint.St Paul especially on his letter to the romans makes several quotations from the book of wisdom
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by ktjohnpaul(m): 1:46pm On Jul 16, 2013
bukatyne:

Nobody argues about intercession.

Our problem is that Mary a dead person is the 'Intercessor.'

If you are looking for a heavenly intercessor, what about the Holy Spirit? Rom 8 : 26

Why leave the Holy Spirit as ask a dead person to intercede for you?

If you are asking your Physical Rev Fr who is with you to pray for you, there is no problem.

How did you miss this post I made previously

Psalm 141:2 Let my prayer be set forth before you as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Rev. 8:3 And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given to him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints on the golden altar which was before the throne.

Can you figure out the importance of incense in prayers from the time of David, to the Apostle? Happily this tradition is maintained by Catholics.

The saints who have gone before us know better, so they offer their intercessory prayers for us, with incense.

That is why Catholics pray to them, 'ASK THEM', to present our petitions before the golden altar that our sinfulness may not access.

By the way, James 5:16 say "...The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective." So who is more righteous than the saints before the throne of God in Heaven? Among them Mary Ranks top on the list since God said through Angel Gabriel that she is FULL OF GRACE
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 16, 2013
Point 3:The council of Jamnia rejected this books

Yes the books were actually rejected by this council.Interstingly this council was a Jewish council and was convoked primarily because a new religion(xtianity) had arisen and has began using similar scriptures to them and thus the need to create a demarcation.

It is most worthy to note that this council that selected the 39 books today used by the protestants equally rejected Jesus and the entire new testament.It is obvious from the foregoing that the holy spirit was not ivvolved in this decision.It thus beholves on all right thinking xtians to discountenance the resolutions of this council.Protestants in the late 18th century adopted a hybrod canon I.e a combination of the jamnia canon and the catholic NT.This hypocritical at best.

1 Like

Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by ktjohnpaul(m): 2:06pm On Jul 16, 2013
bukatyne:

I ask: If Mary died a virgin, what happened to her marriage with Joseph?

Mary was not married to Joseph, the Bible says she was betrothed to Joseph. Lk 1:27
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by ktjohnpaul(m): 2:08pm On Jul 16, 2013
chukwudi44: Point 3:The council of Jamnia rejected this books

Yes the books were actually rejected by this council.Interstingly this council was a Jewish council and was convoked primarily because a new religion(xtianity) had arisen and has began using similar scriptures to them and thus the need to create a demarcation.

It is most worthy to note that this council that selected the 39 books today used by the protestants equally rejected Jesus and the entire new testament.It is obvious from the foregoing that the holy spirit was not ivvolved in this decision.It thus beholves on all right thinking xtians to discountenance the resolutions of this council.Protestants in the late 18th century adopted a hybrod canon I.e a combination of the jamnia canon and the catholic NT.This hypocritical at best.

My Brother you know book die. This is History 101, and anybody can check the facts.
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by ktjohnpaul(m): 2:13pm On Jul 16, 2013
naijadeyhia:

[size=15pt]The apocrypha does not belong in the Bible because It IS not inspired.[/size][/b]

On which authority do you state this? a Biblical verse may suffice.

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (62) (Reply)

Tina Bright: Why I Left My Husband & Married Pastor Adeeyo / 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway / Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.