Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,582 members, 7,816,432 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Margaret Thatcher Is Dead - Foreign Affairs (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Margaret Thatcher Is Dead (44323 Views)

An Open Letter To Mrs Margaret Thatcher From General Olusegun Obasanjo / Watch Margaret Thatcher’s Funeral Highlights / Margaret Thatcher's Death Greeted With Street Parties In Brixton And Glasgow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by franca30(f): 7:02pm On Apr 08, 2013
Rip ma'am
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 7:03pm On Apr 08, 2013
cap28:

oh your one of those sad individuals who still beleive that elections mean anything?

Did you know that Adolf Hitler won the elections in his country by an overwhelming landslide? you know why? because people were blinded by desperation, poverty and despair, these factors led to the rise of Nazi germany.

Politicians are clever they know how to exploit weaknesses, Thatcher was no exception, why do you think she played the race card in her election campaigns - she knew she could secure a victory if she played on the inherent racism of british people, that didnt mean that she was popular - it just meant that she was smart.

So she blinded the Brits for 11 years. grin grin grin

It had nothing to do with financial empowerment - owning their own homes or being able to buy shares in BT, BP, and BG? Elections still matter because it gives people choices. If elections didn't matter, the current UK government wouldn't be a coalition. One side would have simply blinded a required majority.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 7:07pm On Apr 08, 2013
People like John Fashanu and his brother, Justin....

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje who hated being black because he was raised in a foster home... I have got uncles who are like that as well... and I have also met many coconut Nigerians out here who are like that...
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 7:08pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

Increase taxes for the rich and super rich!! That was the same way London was turned from a shytehole to prosperity in the 1800s... However, she was an elitist - who made the rich richer by destroying the livelihoods of the poor!!

Did you read what I wrote? How would you have increased a marginal tax rate of 98%? Increase it 100%

Have you heard of the Laffer curve? The relationship between tax rates and revenue? The more you increase the tax rate, the more people flee. The only people who can't flee are the middle class. Rich people simply follow the rules and move capital abroad.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 7:09pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx: There are hundreds of Nigerian kids who were separated from their families because of this woman... Most of them had to grow up in foster homes in some of the most racist places in the UK... What about those people whose childhood were destroyed by her and who never had their parents in their lives??

Can you elaborate on why some kids were separated from their parents while others weren't? Or were all kids of colour taken from their parents?
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

It had nothing to do with financial empowerment - owning their own homes or being able to buy shares in BT, BP, and BG? Elections still matter because it gives people choices. If elections didn't matter, the current UK government wouldn't be a coalition. One side would have simply blinded a required majority.

Kats, maybe we need to turn back the hands of time and pray for someone like Thatcher who's going to make you dump your kids in foster homes and rob them of their identity and culture... What do you think?? wink
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 7:11pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

Kats, maybe we need to turn back the hands of time and pray for someone like Thatcher who's going to make you dump your kids in foster homes and rob them of their identity and culture... What do you think?? wink

Can you elaborate on why some kids were separated from their parents while others weren't? Or were all kids of colour taken from their parents?

Turn back the hands of time. You are not making sense. Did I tell you I have kids or that they were born before/after Thatcher? Stop making assumptions. one.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 7:12pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:
Did you read what I wrote? How would you have increased a marginal tax rate of 98%? Increase it 100%

Have you heard of the Laffer curve? The relationship between tax rates and revenue? The more you increase the tax rate, the more people flee. The only people who can't flee are the middle class. Rich people simply follow the rules and move capital abroad.

If the same policy worked in the country before Lady Thatcher and there was no capital flight, what makes you think there will be capital flight if Thatcher effected the same policy??
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 7:13pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

Most.. the few that weren't separated from their kids moved back to Nigeria...
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 7:14pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

The mines were shut down becuase it wasn't economically feasible for a majority to keep footing the salaries of a minority. The Mining industry was dwindling and it made no sense to keep it afloat for the same reason why China supplies 80% of global rare earths even though it only has 30%. When labour gets too expensive, it works against commerce. People who resorted to alcoholism and drugs were simply lazy folks who couldn't change. If your skill is no longer in demand, then find another skill.

Yes Thatcher created home ownership and millions in the UK have her to thank for that. A man who pays a mortgage and has a home after 30 years is better than a man with no mortgage and pays rent until he dies. A man/woman could live his home to his kids on death. That is better than nothing.

Many folks who were clever but from middle and low inclome homes became rich with market deregulation. That some could do it while others couldn't, doesn't make it bad. Sir Sugar just said that many smart folks were able to tap into it.

I ask again, what would you have done given the following? Keep borrowing and raising taxes to support a declining industry?

1. A decline in the UK mining industry

2. High inflation

3. High debt (the labour government had borrowed from the IMF)

4. High taxes from Labour (98% marginal rate)

I need actual ideas. Thatcher has done her bit; lets hear what you would have done.

The usual verbose nasty right wing nigger hating bigoted ideology. People like you are supremacists in that you view others who are not as wealthy as you are as lazy scumbags. You are indeed a pile or hatred.

The whole talk of a declining mining industry was based on the dodgy premise of shipping the dirty jobs to developing countries and at the same time creating the atmosphere for posh plum white collar jobs in Banking, IT, and Advanced Pharmaceutical. Am surprised you are a brainwashed blacky.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 7:17pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

Turn back the hands of time. You are not making sense. Did I tell you I have kids or that they were born before/after Thatcher? Stop making assumptions. one.

No matter how you put it, I'll always disagree with you on Lady Thatcher... She was Enoch Powell in a woman's body!!
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 7:17pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

If the same policy worked in the country before Lady Thatcher and there was no capital flight, what makes you think there will be capital flight if Thatcher effected the same policy??

Shymexx, I am sorry to say but you are ignorant.

What do you think brought Thatcher to power? Have you heard of the crises in Britain in the 70s? Have you heard of James Callaghan's government was brought down by the unions in 1979? Are you aware Britain was broke in the 1970s? Britain was fc.uked, it owed money to the IMF, tax rate was 98%.

You still haven't answered my question. Raising taxes when the tax rate was 98% is not the solution, what would you have done?

Do you think people like to be taxed? Over a certain rate (this is dependent on country), people start to move their money abroad or work less. Would you do overtime or work for a bonus if you knew the government was going to take all of it?

2 Likes

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 7:20pm On Apr 08, 2013
toothpaste:

The usual verbose nasty right wing nigger hating bigoted ideology. People like you are supremacists in that you view others who are not as wealthy as you are as lazy scumbags. You are indeed a pile or hatred.

The whole talk of a declining mining industry was based on the dodgy premise of shipping the dirty jobs to developing countries and at the same time creating the atmosphere for posh plum white collar jobs in Banking, IT, and Advanced Pharmaceutical. Am surprised you are a brainwashed blacky.

Which jobs were shipped in the early 80s?

Can you articulate how you would have addressed the problems in the 1970s?

So you now have super powers to be able to tell my race? Joker

When you can't have a decent debate, you resort to insults? Who does that if not aggressive dolts.

5 Likes

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 7:21pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

Please link those books to Buhari, IBB, and SAP. What sections of the books deal with this? Obfuscation doesn't work with me. Give me specifics.

The US has a problem with debt and thats why there has been a debate about how to reduce it. Besides US borrowing is more developmental based which is different from greed-based (Africa) or welfare based (Europe). If the US went into recession today, would it have the funds to implement Keynesian type policies? Besides, regardless, of how you spend your money, people lend you money if they believe you can pay. The US can't force China to lend it money.

Hey, while im at it why dont i send you a cheque to buy the books as well - jeez! hey man you're a grown man - I can't spoon feed you with everything - its now your responsibility to educate yourself by accessing those books.

The US IS IN RECESSION - which planet are you living on!!!

Infact not only is the US in recession its economy is on the verge of collapse.

How is it that borrowing in order to fuel a consumer economy can be described as developmental based? The United States has been living way beyond its means for over 30 years - it is only able to do this because of the fact that its currency is the world reserve currency and this has nothign to do with what it generates in terms of revenue.

majority of its manufacturing jobs have been outsourced to the far east and yet it is allowed to keep afloat by printing money and borrowing - if the nigerian govt were practising such an economic policy im sure you would have been up in arms castigating them.

Actually China and other US creditors lend money to the united states because they are obliged to do so under the petro dollar system which i would advise you to educate yourself on.

2 Likes

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 7:21pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:
Shymexx, I am sorry to say but you are ignorant.

What do you think brought Thatcher to power? Have you heard of the crises in Britain in the 70s? Have you heard of James Callaghan's government was brought down by the unions in 1979? Are you aware Britain was broke in the 1970s? Britain was fc.uked, it owed money to the IMF, tax rate was 98%.

You still haven't answered my question. Raising taxes when the tax rate was 98% is not the solution, what would you have done?

Do you think people like to be taxed? Over a certain rate (this is dependent on country), people start to move their money abroad or work less. Would you do overtime or work for a bonus if you knew the government was going to take all of it?

Was 1970 as worse as 1800-1913 UK?? How come the rich didn't move their money abroad back when they were taxed to save the UK?

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 7:23pm On Apr 08, 2013
toothpaste:

I still don't understand the love story between Kats and Lady Thatcher!!

I'm shocked!!
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 08, 2013
cap28:

Hey, while im at it why dont i send you a cheque to buy the books as well - jeez! hey man you're a grown man - I can't spoon feed you with everything - its now your responsibility to educate yourself by accessing those books.

How is it that borrowing in order to fuel a consumer economy can be described as developmental based? The United States has been living way beyond its means for over 30 years - it is only able to do this because of the fact that its currency is the world reserve currency and this has nothign to do with what it generates in terms of revenue.

majority of its manufacturing jobs have been outsourced to the far east and yet it is allowed to keep afloat by printing money and borrowing - if the nigerian govt were practising such an economic policy im sure you would have been up in arms castigating them.

Actually China and other US creditors lend money to the united states because they are obliged to do so under the petro dollar system which i would advise you to educate yourself on.

This spot is so accurate! The US dollar, as the world's reserve currency, is the only thing keeping the US economy afloat. The total debt of the US exceeds $16 trillion, while the GDP is just over $15 trillion. Therefore, the US is technically broke.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 7:28pm On Apr 08, 2013
cap28:

I didn't ask you to send me the books or cheque. You made an assertion trying to sound intelligent and knowledgeable. Can you tell me what sections in those books relate to Buhari, IBB, and SAP? It's a simple request or are you afraid you were just typing BS.

I am still waiting for how you would have taken the UK out of recession and debt brought about by irresponsible liberal policies.

China has to lend to the US under the petro dollar system? Where did you get that? Getting your knowledge from conspiracy theory websites makes you think you are in the know while in reality, it just makes you sound daft. In the post above, you state the US economy is about to collapse but in the post below, you allude to the strength of the US economy. So which it?

cap28:

If we are to follow your logic regarding govts who spend more than they earn why is the united states STILL able to keep its economy afloat despite a staggering national debt of $16 trillion ?

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 7:28pm On Apr 08, 2013
Thatcher was bad news for Black people in Britain, period!

If you ask me; I would make bold to state that a lot of the dysfunctionality which currently plagues our inner-cities were sown during the Thatcherite era.

Never mind the miners, it was the "sink schools" created from old grammar schools, in the 70s and 80s, which shaped the generation of black youth (now in their 50s) responsible for the single-mother-baby-father syndrome.
I know for a fact that Thatcher broke the teachers unions first, by flooding their ranks with ex-army types who were summarily dispatched to work in some of those failing schools. As long as they were populated mainly by the immigration class, this "Iron Lady" looked the other way.

Sure enough, folks got saddled with council houses, at a time when access to higher education was limited and employment opportunities were few and far between. Do I celebrate this small win for all it was worth, even as I now recognise the price we paid for our complacency, yes!

It would, of course, be wrong not to give some credit to Thatcher for helping engender conditions which fueled the political consciousness that birthed our first generation of black MPs. I could go on, but to what end?

No love lost here, I'm afraid grin

2 Likes

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 7:33pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

I didn't ask you to send me the books or cheque. You made an assertion trying to sound intelligent and knowledgeable. Can you tell me what sections in those books relate to Buhari, IBB, and SAP? It's a simple request or are you afraid you were just typing BS.

I am still waiting for how you would have taken the UK out of recession and debt brought about by irresponsible liberal policies.

China has to lend to the US under the petro dollar system? Where did you get that? Getting your knowledge from conspiracy theory websites makes you think you are in the know while in reality, it just makes you sound daft.

It's true. Check my earlier post.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 7:33pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

You're not really making any sense - how can you be financially empowered if you've lost your job?

What percentage of the british public own shares in the above mentioned companies? who own the controlling shares in those companies?
How can you say people have a choice when the choice is between two sides of the same coin ? what is the difference between New Labour and the Conservative's economic policies?

The current coaltion was formed because the majority of UK voters were so disillusioned with labour and the conservatives that many voters couldnt even be bothered to turn up to vote for either party , as a result none of the major voters could secure a majority - this oopened the way for a coalition to be created.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 7:38pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

I'm shocked!!

I am a practical man. In the absence of sound ideas from left leaning liberals, who only know how to spend, I am left with support right leaning market oriented policies. Personally, I don't really like Thatcher but I am yet to see any solid ideals from the left and folks like Livingstone, who just wanted to spend. Spend what? If you don't generate revenue, you can't spend it. Isn't it ironic how left leaning liberals always want to spend on social programmes but they cant come up with ideas other than taxing the rich. Not all rich people were born into wealth and it is wrong to assume such and tax them as if they inherited the wealth.

Only lazy folks wait for the govt to do everything; they just expect government to tax hard working people. There are many rich folks in the UK who lived on estates.

2 Likes

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 7:39pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

I'm shocked!!

He's a wanna be - he thinks that by identifying with the ruling class that will make him one of them, sadly, people from that background always look down on black people whether he wants to accept it or not.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Truflux(m): 7:40pm On Apr 08, 2013
She is dead nd dtz all.. We jst ave to sae rest in peace..
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Korrection(m): 7:40pm On Apr 08, 2013
Abeg make we hear word for this woman matter...she better pass ppl for 9ja wey boko haram do kill?? E don do abeg..our problem in this country is far worth thinking about than sucker thatcher.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 7:41pm On Apr 08, 2013
cap28:

You're not really making any sense - how can you be financially empowered if you've lost your job?

What percentage of the british public own shares in the above mentioned companies? who own the controlling shares in those companies?
How can you say people have a choice when the choice is between two sides of the same coin ? what is the difference between New Labour and the Conservative's economic policies?

The current coaltion was formed because the majority of UK voters were so disillusioned with labour and the conservatives that many voters couldnt even be bothered to turn up to vote for either party , as a result none of the major voters could secure a majority - this oopened the way for a coalition to be created.

Did everyone lose their jobs? Stop debating like a kid.

11 million own shares today as they did in the 80s? That's about 18%.

So how can you then sstate that elections don't matter? You are either contradicting yourself or you don't know what you are postulating.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 7:43pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

I am a practical man. In the absence of sound ideas from left leaning liberals, who only know how to spend, I am left with support right leaning market oriented policies. Personally, I don't really like Thatcher but I am yet to see any solid ideals from the left and folks like Livingstone, who just wanted to spend. Spend what? If you don't generate revenue, you can't spend it. Isn't it ironic how left leaning liberals always want to spend on social programmes but they cant come up with ideas other than taxing the rich. Not all rich people were born into wealth and it is wrong to assume such and tax them as if they inherited the wealth.

Only lazy folks wait for the govt to do everything; they just expect government to tax hard working people. There are many rich folks in the UK who lived on estates.

only left leaning liberals know how to spend? are you for real? why did the british govt spend over £1trillion bailing out british banks? is that not excessive in your book or is it different when the money is spent on the rich?

why were city of london bankers paid over £6billion in bonuses despite being the architects of the 2008 financial collapse?

Let me get you right - keeping in place necessary safety nets for the most vulnerable peoople in society = bad whilst guaranteeing millions of pounds on payment of already stinking rich city of london banker bonuses = good

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 7:45pm On Apr 08, 2013
cap28:

He's a wanna be - he thinks that by identifying with the ruling class that will make him one of them, sadly, people from that background always look down on black people whether he wants to accept it or not.

Thats the difference between you and I.

I don't care about whether Labour, conservatives, or white/black like me. My position is based on how policies affect me. I don't give a rats ar.se about lazy people who are in a first world country and still expecting govt to do everything for them. They have schools close to home with all the comforts in life but keep complaining while kids in Africa are trekking great distances to get to school. There was a story of a kid in SA who has to cross crocodile infested waters to get to school. And you think I have sympathy for people who want government to buy them playstations?

The government provides free health, free schools, option to buy your home or rent at below market price. The government provides welfare benefits for those who don't work. For single mothers who just want to be loose and have kids. Who is supposed to pay for all that?

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Xzhibit: 7:47pm On Apr 08, 2013
how comes?
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Didi8: 7:50pm On Apr 08, 2013
She was a chemist like late President Yar'Adua. May her soul rest in perfect peace.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 7:54pm On Apr 08, 2013
that woman was a war criminal and should have been tried for genocide even at 87
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 7:57pm On Apr 08, 2013
cap28:

only left leaning liberals know how to spend? are you for real? why did the british govt spend over £1trillion bailing out british banks? is that not excessive in your book or is it different when the money is spent on the rich?

why were city of london bankers paid over £6billion in bonuses despite being the architects of the 2008 financial collapse?

Let me get you right - keeping in place necessary safety nets for the most vulnerable peoople in society = bad whilst guaranteeing millions of pounds on payment of already stinking rich city of london banker bonuses = good

If the govt didn't bail out the banks, it would have lost in the following ways

1. Hundreds of thousands of jobs would have lost
2. Many more would have gone on the dole. Do you think everyone who worked in a bank was a dealer/broker/executive? Do you think everyone in a bank earns huge bonus
3. Banking would have collapsed and a service would have gone.
4. It would have been more difficult to build the banking industry
5. Government spending would have increased and its revenue from taxes would have reduced

The banks that were taken over became government assets. Or do you think the government just gave them free money. In the US, bailed out banks have returned to profitability. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are profitable today. Buffett's holding in Goldman Sachs as enriched him further. In every crises, there is always opportunity. While some are seizing these opportunities, others are complaining even when they don't understand the basic details.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

Election Betting Odds Have Flipped To Favor Trump, Expert Says / Man Arrested After Allegedly Touching Spanish Journalist’s Bottom Live On Air / Germany Bans Gathering Of More Than 2 People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.